Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Suspension

Comments

• kernhillskernhills Member Posts: 2
    First I want to say I really appreciate any advice I can get on this... Really...

I have a 2003 lincoln nav with air ride suspension. I had an intermittent "check suspension" light coming on. The last time I drove it, I pulled in to the driveway and saw the front pass side wheel well all the way down on top of my tire (22" wheel). I had my wife get in, turn ignition on with door closed, and watched as it tried to raise that side. I could immediately see weather type cracks in the bottom of the boot and could hear air escaping from the cracks (especially when i pressed on the side of the airbag.

So I ordered a popular after-market airbag (arnott) online and it arrived. I immediately noticed that the solenoid fits a bit looser in this unit, but it looks to be okay. I dissembled the airbag / reassembled / and replaced all of the O-rings on the solenoid and air bag assembly.

As soon as the car starts to air up now, I hear a gasp of air come from somewhere. The car lowers again.. The pump immediately keeps pumping and as soon as it gets to the same pressure again, I hear the air escape. This is happening over and over and the car will not rise. I was told that the air may be coming from the "end cap" where it mounts to the underside of the car. The tech told me these end caps warp and may have to be replaced also....

Has anyone else had this experience when they replaced their air bags? I can't seem to figure out why the air is escaping at what seems like the same point as it raises. I even traded solenoids with the drivers side and have the same condition.... Any ideas? Thanks!!!!
  • kernhillskernhills Member Posts: 2
    I think I found my problem so I'll post it for now and see what happens. Basically, if you replace the bag, you should (or in my case HAVE to) replace the top plate. Its Lincoln/Ford part # 6L1Z-18A099-CA and the dealer wants $160.00 for it. I think Arnott has an aftermarket for 55 or 60. Here's the reason behind it that I found posted by a Ford Mechanic:

"Posters Question: 2003 Lincoln Navigator air suspension leaks, right rear area, and SUV bottoms after being out when in temperatures 32 F and will not function until in temp. 70 F. In warm temp no problems. Ford dealer replaced seals and rebuilt air bags.

Already Tried:
    suspension seals and bags replaced by Ford dealer because this suspension issue recurs initially temp did not affect, it was intermitant, after rebuild I had the SUV in the mountains, not problems going there, but after being out in temp 30 degrees, suspension right rear, I could hear an air leak, 10 minutes later no lift to the car and the car bottom out until I got off the mountain to temp greater then 60 F

ANSWER - the spring cap is the sealing surface for the upper seals, and when the vehicle gets enough miles on it the surface wears enough to allow a leak, if the springs are taken off the car and checked in a tank of water, they will not leak, but with the weight of the truck on them they leak, I have replaced a bunch of these and when all the other parts have been replaced and the truck still drops, you can be assured that the spring caps are worn.

As the weather gets colder, the metal slightly shrinks and allows the air to leak past the seal, even if the seals are new, so I highly recommend replacing the spring cap."
  • jjwhite1jjwhite1 Member Posts: 1
    Ok I have checked the fuses they all test good. But when I unplug the 4 prong connector to the relay I have no power going in or out? So now what can I look for? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

jesse_white@ymail.com
  • nonosnonos Member Posts: 6
    in need of help, I own a 2004 navigator and yes as i see i have air suspension problems, :sick: i already changed the air compressor, and the relay that sits on top on the air compressor, and still nothing i believe it's the height sensor but i don't know where it's located? does anyone know? and can i inflate the air-bags individually ?

and yes i have checked all the fuses. any help would be greatly appreciated
    contact me here or at celviro@yahoo.com , this car rental thing is getting very expensive.
  • jayster1jayster1 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone help me i have a 2004 navi and the drivers side air bags are expanded at its max and will not release the air. I have checked the fuses all good where can i locate the censor to see if they are bad. its not a good look lopsided
  • gryhnd1gryhnd1 Member Posts: 9
    My '02 Gator's compressor is fried (been on life support for quite a while). I extracted it, but damaged one of the air lines in the process. Does anyone have a part number or equivalent replacement for the air line? I visited the dealer, but although they tried hard to help, they couldn't make heads or tails of the parts diagram and description to actually ID what it is I need. :mad:

I've googled around but haven't had much success so far. It's hard to tell if some of the stock line you can buy is the same as that in the Gator (about 3/8" O.D. with an internal white core tube that has an I.D. of about 1/8").

As a side note, if your compressor fries, you can still reboost your suspension until a repair is made. After you extract the old compressor (or if you can pull the air lines off of it), turn your car to the run position (without starting). After a short time you'll hear some relays click for the suspension. Now, using a standard shop air compressor, blow air into the correct line (for me, the top line is for the rear) until the rear end rises. Quickly turn off the car ignition and then the air suspension bypass switch (having a helper is nice!). The latter will keep the system from purging the air you blew into it, and you'll have a decent ride back :D
    hay gryhnd1,

you sure your compressor is fried? i thought mine was too ran out and bought another compressor and that did'nt work, till i found out it was a relay.:-()
    i spent $300+ for a compressor i did not need. make sure all your fuses are good first, if you already have please dis-regaurd.
  • gryhnd1gryhnd1 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks. Ya, it needs to be replaced. It's been sounding like a shaking box of rocks for a couple years now. This is the second time it's failed. The first time I was able to restart it with some poking and prodding. Fuses are good too.

Anyone have tips on sourcing some air line?

BTW - I am on day 2 with the compressor removed and the rear bags are still holding the air I injected from my shop compressor. At least the urgency to replace has been diminished.
  • drobles2980drobles2980 Member Posts: 1
    ABOUT THE O2 CENSOR, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE MY FUEL FILTER. I DONE A TUNE UP AND REPLACE THAT AND MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FINELY WENT OUT. THE O2 CENSOR I REPLACED DIDENT HELP NOT SAYING YOU DONT NEED ONE BUT U MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THE OTHER TO IT WAS CHEAPER.
  • bronconvictbronconvict Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2010
    HELLO EVERYONE,
    I have received many Emails since I first Posted my email for help.*********

Here is a LINK to the 2003 and UP model year Suspension Service Manual

Bronconvict's 2003+ Susp. Svc. Manual

Hope it all Helps as I have helped as many people as I could. If the link doesn't work
    please reply..... Please share with everyone..
  • ken110ken110 Member Posts: 2
    Can anybody tell me how to attach the front lower sensor arms on a 2003 Navigator?

The front lower sensor arm on both the left and right sides periodically fall off, and that side of the vehicle becomes lower (and in some cases higher) than the other side, along with a bouncy ride. When it happens, I simply slide the arm back on; it stays on for a while and then falls back off. I don't know if I'm attaching it correctly, or if there are any special clips I should use. Can anyone help? The suspension system works perfectly while the arms are attached.

Thanks alot.
  • ken110ken110 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find the answer to your problem? I am having the exact same problem with my 2003 Navigator, and I'm trying to find out the same information you were looking for.

Thanks.
  • martyg7162martyg7162 Member Posts: 2
    How hard is it to replace the ball joints? I know there's a special tool needed but what other issue's would I run into? I'm not a mechanic so I really don't have a clue but money being as it is doing it myself is my only real opion.
    Thanks
  • koeserkoeser Member Posts: 1
    Please help! I took my 98 Navigator to the shop for air suspension, they replaced the control module, and a sensor under the front end, and it still does not work $900 later. :mad: The compressor was replaced about 6 months ago, so it's fine. But the rear end is all the way down. We disconnected the rear air valve from the compressor, and used a air hose to test the bags and lines. No leaks they hold air just fine... untill we plug the air line back into the compressor. ( We did all this with the car running, and compressor switch on) We think it may be a height sensor or the rear solenoids, any ideas?
  • evawevaw Member Posts: 1
    I have been told that when running level ground on some SUV's that 4 cylinders will shut down to save on gas. Does anyone have any knowledge of this??? If so please let me know which auto's and just how much does it help and on which of the larger SUV'S. Looking at Denali's, Escalade's, Navigator's, & Enclave's!!
  • rtbnsn1rtbnsn1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 navigator is lower on the driver's rear than the passenger. I replaced the solenoid on the rear strrut but it still hasn't leveled out. The solenoid cost $166 at the dealer. I have checked all fuses and there is no leak in the system. Can anyone offer any advise since I am very $$$$reluctant to take it to the dealer.
    RTB
  • wnclincolnwnclincoln Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to say that this forum has been so helpful. BUT I have a question, if the suspension in the Navigator is giving all of us this much trouble shouldn't Ford take notice and address the problem. Well friends that is what I have been trying to do with passion for the last 48 hours. Of course Ford is blowing me off. I implore all of you to make a big deal out of this as well. WHY? Because Ford assumes that since we own Navi's we have the money fix the car ourselves multiple times and that it will no longer be our problem. I don't care if it was $10.00 or the $1000.00 that my local dealership wants to put a new relay and compressor in mine. I work hard for what I have, and have no desire to shell out any of my money for something that is FORDS fault. I mean look at all the websites and business dedicated to this issue alone. When you buy a car you have regular wear and tare, this is such a big deal that it don't seem that way. When you get a car modified it is usually to improve the car from the factory, not to take a step backwards. I mean be honest those of us considering either the Steel Shock conversion are doing so to remove all headaches of the Air Suspension. We aren't talking about racing clutch in a Mustang for performance we are talking about having to get ried of the factory componet for an inferior item just to keep them on the road. Please contact Ford so they will resolve some of these issues. Just go to the Lincoln's owner page, and go under contact, you will get a very prompt reply, telling you that they really don't care. God Bless and have a great Day.
  • cissicissi Member Posts: 9
    I live in Sweden and started this line about the air suspension. Because I didnt get any help from Ford.
    They dont deal with so many cars like this here so I needed help to know what it was so I could tell the garage and find out if this is a problem they could fix. I couldent take it on a truck and move it from place to place. But help , absolutely not.
    So I will never again own anything from Ford. I have red they are in finance trouble becuase of the world financial crize , but they behave as they didnt needed any more customers.
    I am really so angry over that they even can behave like this . So my money will they never get again.
    If anyone has a good idea in somehow making some sort of a protest list . Maybe
    facebook ? If everone who feels the same will sign ?
    So that Ford gets this . You know also in big company things like this the board never maybe hears about. So people "on the floor" who deals with customers can really do damage to a company.
    I feel also that this is a issue a lot of lincoln owners has problem with .Even if it stands that they shall be changed when service after so and so many miles.
    On my car they went about exactely on this miles. And my service appointment was not before 14 days after. They should absolutely keep good over this limit .
    So no even if I love my Lincoln ,never again. And never Ford because of their ignorance for their customers.
  • moonbeamrmoonbeamr Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum and any forum for that matter. How do you find the answers to the questions that other people post?
  • moonbeamrmoonbeamr Member Posts: 2
    My 01 Navigator seems to riding a bit higher that normal. Also it does not make the clicking noise that it used to make after i park it. I think that clicking noise is what the owners manual refers to as normal for deflating or lowering. Also my check suspension light has been coming on intermittently for a while now. I have tried to switch my 4x4 switch to low range to see if that would reset it, to no avail. Any suggestions to help me trouble shoot this problem? I just want my normal ride height back.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If a "proper" reply is made to a question then the original posting will contain a link to the reply. "Proper" means that the reply was made using the "reply" link near the title of the posting. Otherwise, just scroll down through the messages and look for replies.

You can also "subscribe" to a topic and receive notification when additions have been made to the discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • asianknight1asianknight1 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you put the air to get it in the bags? I know its a temporary fix, but my kids can't be bouncing around in the back of the car. LOL
  • mybadcarmybadcar Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    right side will not stay inflated, after compressor stop after a minutes or so.
    if upulg full solenoid it will hold air. code c1725
    help
  • s2kneons2kneon Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the rear coil springs that come with the strutmasters and similar kits are the same as the OEM springs purchased from Ford?
  • silvernavisilvernavi Member Posts: 21
    I have a 99 Navigator and am considering switching the suspension to non-air. I see there are a few companies that offer conversion kits. Is one companies kits better than the others or are they basically the same?
  • lincoln03lincoln03 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 03 and changed to coils over 2 years ago. Can't speak for the other brands but I used Suncore and at first she was sitting a little high and the ride was a bit stiff but once i put some miles on them they softened up. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference in ride if i don't tell you. Air ride is great new but after a few years you have to stash some money away for the inevitable check suspension light when it gets cold. I don't know about you but these days i know of better things to use my money on than giving it to the dealer.
  • betajdlbetajdl Member Posts: 3
    I have a 02 Navigator that had the air suspension replaced with shocks/springs. I failed to have the check suspension light disabled at the time.
    What is the recommended method of disabling the light? OR what is the easiest?
  • s2kneons2kneon Member Posts: 3
    On my '98 2wd, I just went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up a pair of TRW Springs for $85. Part number CC80841. Same as Moog. I've had them on for about 2~ weeks now and no issues at all. Rides great!!! The TRW springs, although not advertised as a conversion kit, comes with directions on how to do the conversion.

Don't pay for the overpriced 3rd party springs if you don't have to.

Pic1

Pic2

Directions
  • sterlingator2sterlingator2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an occasional check suspension light. Rear of truck is just above tires. Can i do something to raise rear of vehicle before i have to pay for new suspension?
  • jphipps10jphipps10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 navigator. the compressor Hasnt kicked on in like a month. the back end of the navi is riding really low almost on the tires....what do i need to do? any suggestions to help me out? my kids and wife dont like the bouncing around so much.haha . where is the compressor located? or the sensor? or relay? anything really... Thanks.
  • lyof8lyof8 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    The other day i had a general fuse problem stero, vents,lights, there were a few. About the same time the rear suspension deflated and riding right on the tires. I replaced feses and got it all working again, except for the suspension. There is still one fuse that isn't working it dose not light up why when its tested. # 20 a 5amp fuse there is nothing and the fuse itself is good. I have not seen a check suspension light at all, I have flipped the switch but nothing. I checked the part behind the headlight when testing it would make a loud click and it sparks. The sound is as if the compressor is tying to engage but than just stops. How and whats next to test the system.
  • yellaboyyellaboy Member Posts: 1
    OK. Last saturday while coming home at 1am. The front of my 2003 Navigator slowly descended until it was touching my 24in wheels. I have had the problem where the senssor needed to be unplugged and replugged and the car would raise. NO GO this time.

So i had it towed home, and bought a new sensor since there was no sound from compressor. NO GO

I followed the "compressor test" by using a wire to jump points A and B on the connector. There was more sparks, and no compressor music. From dealing with electronics, that tell me either the compressor or relay has a DEAD SHORT. That means that there is little or no resistance. So bad compressor. I am picking up 1 today for $150 here in Houston, remanuafactured.
  • 1mbdriver1mbdriver Member Posts: 2
    My ABS activates constantly, even when the car is not running. At times the ABS light comes on and off. Also, on ocassion, my rear is very low. With out spending an arm or a leg, I've notice similar ABS problems posted on Edmunds. Any suggestions......
  • 99naviguy99naviguy Member Posts: 1
    I have 1999 navigator that the rear has drop for the third time in 2 1/2 yrs can any one explain why this keep happening. i've had the dealer repair it twice so far? :confuse:
    change over to strutmasters, i did it and love it, the car is always ready to go. your problem is most likely the height sensor, if the height sensor is bad it will never rise
    i got tired od that problem.
  • rick1964rick1964 Member Posts: 1
    My check Air Suspension System message came on today and the rear end is riding low. I read a post about an '03 and to check the relay. Where is the relay on the '07?
  • blkbeauty3blkbeauty3 Member Posts: 1
    I know your post is a couple of days old, if you haven't changed to coils yet you should think about that. I have an 01 Navi, went to advanced auto got the trw cc80841 coil springs it even come with conversion instructions. I've seen this remedy all over this forum. As of last weekend I am a believer. Easy job, faster with two people..
  • 98navigator198navigator1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with the rear of my 1998 Lincoln Navigator. I have taken it to a mechanic and the dealership and have heard two different things. At one place it was the compressor and suspension relay and at another I heard that it might be the motor (which was replaced) and the air bags. I did notice about 2 weeks ago a hissing noise coming from the rear of the truck. Now, the dealership is telling me that both airbags need to be replaced, at a cost of $800! Would it be better to convert from air suspension to coil shocks? Do I really need to replace the air bags? I just want to get it repaired because I want to get rid of the truck!
  • rockwellbishoprockwellbishop Member Posts: 1
    So yesterday I park my 2003 Navigator in Walmart parking lot. I come back out about an hour later. Start my truck and drive off to the gas station. While waiting in line to pay for my gas I look out the window of the gas station and realize the right front end of my SUV is tilted toward the floor. Does anyone know why only the passenger side of the front end will not rise and the issue isn't with both sides?
  • navisaurusrexnavisaurusrex Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 navigator went to start it the other day and compressor went on (but the rear is not lifting. i just joined on here and have seen the problem come up before. i'm going to try reseting by unhooking the battery for a bit. and the union fitting looks ok (but unsure). I can also hear an air leak I think that was not there before, need a hand here. :confuse:
  • silvernavisilvernavi Member Posts: 21
    Do yourself a favor and get rid of the air suspension. Go to strutmasters and order the conversion kit. I did it on my 99 and its great. No more headaches/worries.
  • hsmit007hsmit007 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 04 Navigator and when the temp dropped below 50 degress the other day the air bags didn' t raise the car. The compressor came on, but no lift. Once the car warmed after driving a few miles the air bags started rising. Has anyone had this problem? It has done this the last 3 cold mornings. I'm not sure how to fix it. I purchased a new compressor last year.
  • canmorekidcanmorekid Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if you found the problem. Had the same problem and after several different parts replaced the check suspension light won't go out. :mad:
  • hsmit007hsmit007 Member Posts: 3
    I had a mechanic to look at it and he thinks the compressor is going bad. I replaced the compressor a 1.5yr ago, so I'm skeptical. I'm going to purchase another compressor and will post if it resolves the issue.
  • canmorekidcanmorekid Member Posts: 2
    Let me know how you make out. I got offered $12,500 for a trade on a $23000 MKZ today because the light is still on in mine. These idiots at the Ford dealership can't find what the problem is and i have already spent over 2k on their training!! Now they tell me the part #'s might be wrong on the sensors that were replaced?? How can engineers build something and then have no idea how to fix it when it breaks?? My advice to you and anyone else who owns on of these would be be sell it.....sad but true.
  • pugatapugata Member Posts: 1
    I read the manual too after my check susp light came on and the truck sat on top of back tires, rode like a bus!!!!!!!!! Manual said find the reset button and flip it back and forth 3 4 times, Make sure it is' on' after you flip it a few times, well that did not work. I read on this forum about disconnecting the battery , its 10:30 and cold, I went out and disconnected battery, connected it right back up and cranked up Navi and air suspension system started working, body came off back tires :) and sound of air bags blowing up was a complete blessing, we see what happens tomorrow when i get in it and drive it.....
  • kjohnson3210kjohnson3210 Member Posts: 2
    I am having that same problem. I bought used front struts..didnt work...replaced the air compressor..now im riding lopsided. they said i need a new right side strut...is it that or the relay?
  • herc76herc76 Member Posts: 52
    Hello,
    My extended warranty just expired a few months ago on my 04 Navigator. I was looking at getting another e.w.. Now I have a possible future issue with my air suspension. My questions are:
    Is it worth getting?
    If so, what would be the best option?
    I was looking at USAA, Fidelity, AAA, my credit union, and Ford.
    I also heard that the it would be better to go with a coil spring kit.

Thanks
  • lincoln03lincoln03 Member Posts: 13
    I had my 03 changed over to coil overs aver 2 years ago and have not had a single problem. I was paying several hundred dollars every winter when the sensors or something else stopped working on the air system let alone the fustration. I don't know how much you paid for the warranty but you might want to do a comparison. Also, are you having problems with the air system? did you repair it and getting more symptoms? again, compare amount of warranty vs price of coil over.
  • herc76herc76 Member Posts: 52
    The "check suspension" message was displaying last week. I took it to the dealership and they told me that the suspension was dry-rotten. I was only considering warranty for not only this issue but for other issues.