Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town Country Audio/Entertainment Systems/GPS

13»

Comments

• jthomp75jthomp75 Member Posts: 1
    My 06 T&C has the rear flip down screen. It stopped displaying. The dvd player works, and we get sound through the speakers, but no display. Has anyone encountered this? If so, what is the fix?
  • taralextaralex Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a T&C 2006 with DVD and a rear screen.
    When I insert DVD's into the changer it accepts them ok (and ejects as well), but then nothing happens. The rear screen remains blank and there's no reaction to whatever I press on the remote. Am I doing something wrong or the RES is screwed?

Also there's no reaction to pressing the UConnect Phone button, maybe there's a correlation?
  • tye5tye5 Member Posts: 1
    My wife is having the same exact problem. When we put in a dvd in the bottom player we get sound but no pic on either of the screens. When we put a dvd in the top on the front screen plays but not the back two. im looking to see if you found out anything. This defeats the purpose for us getting this gas guzzler we would have been better off getting a smaller car that saves gas.
  • kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    I'm looking to replace the stereo in my 2010 Town & Country with an aftermarket system that, in addition to playing music and CDs, allows me to play DVD's, connect my iPod and iPhone, and doesn't require significant modifications to the dash.

Any suggestions?
  • smartautosmartauto Member Posts: 5
    are you using the wrong wiring?
    http/www.smartauto24.com">link title
  • smartautosmartauto Member Posts: 5
    http/www.smartauto24.com
    That's pretty cool. Thanks.

Can I simply remove my existing standard radio and install one of the Chrysler head units or do I need some type of adapter kit?
    BTW, have your ordered from these guys before? I've never ordered anything directly from China.
  • tywone55tywone55 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 08, i had it diag. and they told us that it was the dvd monitor module $1000. Does anyone know where to buy one and where it is located.
  • preechrpreechr Member Posts: 1
    OK, same problem with the UConnect, except my dealer says it is $913.00 installed for a new module! Jim, where did you get yours done for $455? I live in San Diego, too. My UConnect, CD player, and driver power seat all went out at or about the same time! I have had no problems until this. Any ideas out there?
    Preechr
  • hixson01hixson01 Member Posts: 2
    We just recently purchased a 2005 Town & country LImited. It has the DVD player and also a single cd changer/gps system and a 6 disc cd changer. The book says we can watch a dvd and listen to it with headphones ( we hear the audi through the headphones and speakers at the same time currently) at the same time as playing a different cd and listening through the speakers(If the adults would want to listen to music in the front of the van) : . It doesn't explain how to do this , though. Can anyone tell us how we accomplish this?? Every time we try to listen to something ,other than the movie playing.... it turns the movie off. :confuse:
  • nancernnancern Member Posts: 1
    We have the same vehicle and have tried numerous times to do what you're saying... it doesn't work. You can only play one CD/DVD at a time... unless you count the GPS....
  • car_audio08car_audio08 Member Posts: 1
    hey guys. where are you buying car dvd navigation in local? could you show me some guides?

yoki
  • hixson01hixson01 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    no what i mean is the owners manual for the van says the you can listen to the radio up from while the the kids listen to the dvd in the rear with the head phones. however it does not tell you how to do this. in mine you hear the dvd through the radio and the head phones at the same time.
    someone help me please :confuse:
  • jmok_fixeditjmok_fixedit Member Posts: 4
    Hey, I know this is years late but I fix my DVD changer the other day. There are 7 disks with finger tabs that hold the dvd a little larger than a quarter. They ride up and down a cylinder to allow you to put cd/dvds. They have 3 tiny and I mean tiny plastic fingers that keep the disk level as they ride up and down. One of the fingers on two disks broke causing the jam. I also notice that whatever lube that was in the unit for sliding part was all gone (dried UP). causing the stick and then probably snapping the plastic finger. I reassembled without the two disk and it works. except I can only put 4 disks until I can find replacement disk finger tabs..
    I'm posting this here because this DVD player flashing and broke seems to be a common problem that Chrysler doesn't want to address except to sell you a new unit between 500-1200 dollars.
    Hey, I know this is years late but I fix my DVD changer the other day. There are 7 disks with finger tabs that holds the dvd a little larger than a quarter. They ride up and down a cylinder to allow you to put cd/dvds. They have 3 tiny and I mean tiny plastic fingers that keep the disk level as they ride up and down. One of the fingers on two disks broke causing the jam. I also notice that whatever lube that was in the unit for sliding part was all gone (dried UP). causing the stick and then probably snapping the plastic finger. I reassembled without the two disk and it works. except I can only put 4 disks until I can find replacement disk finger tabs..
    I'm posting this here because this DVD player flashing and broke seems to be a common problem that Chrysler doesn't want to address except to sell you a new unit between 500-1200 dollars.
  • eahoffmanneahoffmann Member Posts: 2
    jmok_fixedit:

Thank you so very much for responding.

"I reassembled without the two disk and it works. except I can only put 4 disks until I can find replacement disk finger tabs.. "

How did you reassemble? How did you get in?

Thank you.
  • rpe94rpe94 Member Posts: 1
    Had the "Updating Channels" on both VES 1 and VES 2 screens. Put the main radio in the front to FM, as well as both VES. Pulled the fuse (M10) for 60 seconds. Put the fuse back in, tuned the VES to Satellite. Waited 30 seconds for the "Updating Channels" message to go away, and can now direct tune in the back, again. Simple fix.
  • mdcdadmdcdad Member Posts: 2
    We had this entertainment system for 6 years until recently and you should be able to push the headphone button on the remote and then listen to the radio, satellite radio or other cd's if put into the gps slot. Did it have the remote control with the vehicle? We do not remember the button being on the dashboard system. Hope this helps. Please let me know if this helps.
  • mdcdadmdcdad Member Posts: 2
    We are trying to figure out how to attach an ipod touch or ipod video for movies to the entertainment system for the rear screens. We tried a cord with composite cables on one end and the plug for the apple on the other and plugged them into the rear jacks. We could see the movie but only hear them on the van speakers not the headphones. We are wanting to hook up an exterior device with movies to watch on the rear screens. Please reply back with any help.
  • ambernadaambernada Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I have taken my 08 GC to 2 different dealers and neither can get the system working. They don't seem to know what code to put in to enable the ves softkey. Any ideas?
  • photogal57photogal57 Member Posts: 13
    We have a 2008 town and country. We recently had a recall addressed. When we brought the vehicle in, the system was fine. When we got it back, the touch screen was dead. You can hear the radio , use the buttons on the steering wheel but cannot use the screen, it does not show movies or pics but you can hear the movie. Sirius is also giving us an error. The dealership refuses to take responsibility even though they had to remove the console to address the recall(the clock -manual clock, can't see the digital-indicates that it was 2 hrs worth of work).they said that since we have 100k miles on it..."these go". What's that got to do about video display? We contacted customer svc at the dealership as corporate. No one will do anything. In fact they were all nasty. Has anyone had this happen to them. We've had a number of things happen to this vehicle...steering fluid, side door, AC problems...time to get rid of it but we still owe a lot on it.
  • harry320harry320 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying this also since the DVD player ceased to work. I am so frustrated with this at this point. I bought a wire as you described at radio shack yesterday. I can't get it to work at all. I am trying to hook up an iPhone 4 to watch Netflix. I can't get any audio or video. I brought the wire in the house to troubleshoot. I hooked it up to my flat screen and it worked perfectly! Did you use a wire from Apple? Is there some setting I'm not activating throught the radio controls? My TnC is an 08 and has 35k miles. The DVD player stopped working over a year ago and the dealer said it couldn't be fixed only replaced for $600!! What a cheap POS!
  • docpandocpan Member Posts: 1
    Purchased in May 2012. Easy to store many, many CD albums on hard drive. Problem is that one can't select a particular album using the Voice Command System(VCS). When you ask the VCS for the hard drive (HDD) it takes you there, but the only options available are to change the track on the album that happens to be playing. Only way to change to another album is to use the touch screen which, of course, forces you to take your eyes off the road.

My question to The Chrysler Media Systems expert was "What use is a VCS if you can't use it to make selections from the HDD? That technology has been available for years and it's incomprehensible why Chrysler would allow a dinosaur like that on its top-of-the line 2012 auto." Answer: "Sorry but your system does not have that capability. There may be a software upgrade to provide it later but nothing is available now".

WOW!! Who wouldda known? Guess that all I can do is express my astonishment and disappointment. Sure hope the nerds who designed the Media System didn't participate in design of the rest of the car!

Any comments?
  • trap16trap16 Member Posts: 2
    eahoffmann: I had the same problem of discs stuck in the 6 disc changer. I was able to take apart the entire DVD system and get stuck DVDs out. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at the "reassembling" phase. Can't figure out exactly how the "finger" tab disc holders should align and which direction to have all of the moving parts when putting the top DVD holder piece back on. Are you still working on your DVD player? If so, I'd like to share notes. Did you ever hear from "jmok_fixedit"?
  • trap16trap16 Member Posts: 2
    I fixed my 2005 mopar 6 disc CD changer today (2005 Town and Country). I was having the standard stuck discs and flashing lights. It took about 5 hours. I don't have time to go through it all but if anyone out there still has questions let me know. I'm happy to cover the highlights if it will help others. I'm pretty amazed Dodge / Chrysler has a product this lousy out there.
  • ewallac6ewallac6 Member Posts: 1
    I am dealing with this issue right now. There are disks in the player and the player is trying access one of them. The whole time the van is running, the DVD player is running as well. I can't play any DVDs and can't get it to respond to button presses.

I have not been brave enough to take it apart, as my usual struggle is at the "reassembling" phase of such projects. Let me know how it turns out!
  • jwreichjwreich Member Posts: 8
    Hello

I have an REN unit in my 2009 T&C that has started turning on the MyGig system. It will go completely off and then come back one. Sometimes it will do it every 3 minutes, sometimes it takes longer. Sometimes the screen will just go black, whereas other times the unit reboots and the Chrysler logo reappears.

I have application 9.214, grace notes 881

The system is 6826 006 3.3

I've visited http://mofv.com/mygig/ and downloaded the most recent application available. I'm burning it to a data CD now to try the update. This started just a day ago but has been consistent during the day.

Any thoughts? The stations are not being lost, just the unit is turning off and turning back on. I feel there is a loose connection somewhere but I don't know where to start. Again this is a new problem and we have not had any service done on the car prior to this problem.
    I had posted about my radio blinking off, or randomly rebooting. I think there is an issue with the internal HDD as I can get the unit to freeze up by trying to access the HDD. Thanks to the http://mofv.com/mygig/ site I was able to download the latest application and Gracenotes updates and apply them to the head unit.

Today we will see what's happening and if it made it any better. I found one other case of this happening and they had the same version of both. REN 9.214 and GraceNotes 881. Well I'm not updated to 2.292 which I believe is the last of the REN updates. We will see if this helps the function of the unit.

I did try to erase all the music off the HDD, it seemed to take forever and never completed on it's own. I ended up deleting some songs manually which now shows a clean drive with almost 29 gig of data.

So if anyone has any thoughts please share~
    Hey there. I was able to get the unit reassembled but the untitled still doesnt work. I had to take two of the broken little disc out. They are the discs that the CDs move up and down on. However, I thought I could reassemble it and maybe work without having 6 disc and work with 4 instead. That was a no go. Maybe I didnt put together right. Who knows....
    If you can give some details on the reassemble, that would be great. I think I didn't reassemble it right. So I still have the blinking lights.
    UPDATE:

We deleted everything off the internal HDD and the head unit hasn't given us any problems. All updates were a success and the unit is performing just fine. I do believe the internal HD is the problem, but I don't need it and would rather not take it in to fix something I don't use.

SO I have not idea what the real solution is, however removing the data off the HD resulted in the unit working right.

Jesse
  • docmike53docmike53 Member Posts: 2
  • docmike53docmike53 Member Posts: 2
    Is there an aftermarket add on for a 2013 Chrysler T&C's Uconnect System? Apparently some of the later 2013 Chryslers had an inactive system that required dealer activation...but not mine. I was told $2300 to remove the old system and install the one with Navigation.

THere must be another option utilizing the Uconnect System.

Michael
  • melmidyettmelmidyett Member Posts: 2
    Have you ever found the solution to this problem? I have had the same problem, and would really love to use the DVD player again.- thanks
  • melmidyettmelmidyett Member Posts: 2
    Can you please fill me in on how you fixed this error?
  • antichrysler1antichrysler1 Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to say that you are not alone. So far my 2008 Town and Country has been nothing but a pain. I will NEVER buy another Chrysler vehicle. The VES system stooped working and I'm scared to even ask about how much fixing it would be, plus they are always rude when you call. We are hoping to trade ours in soon too.
  • I'm joining this discussion because I too am looking for replacement wireless IR-based headphones for our 2006 Chrysler Town and Country 6-disc DVD player! The cheapo headphones from WalMart didn't work, so I'm ordering the HB70s directly from Koss (they have 30 day return policy). Don't forget to search for a coupon code, I got 15% off by doing a google search for discount. Will repost here to report in on results.