Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Thunderbird Help!

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    If it has keyless entry (keypad) on driver's door. Enter the code to unlock the cabin and then press the key (5/6) which opens the trunk.
  • jaxejaxe Member Posts: 6
    Perhaps 1 of the fuses is out blocking the code for the trunk,you could possibly try disconnecting the battry alot of times doinf that resets alot of different codes,unless the code pad went out
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    You would think it would open one of the ways. Either the key or the inside release or door pad.

A few years ago my wife took my '95 to the grocery store. She never drives it. She comes home with the back seat full of groceries. Said the trunk won't open. She had tried the ignition key to open it.(her car had only the one key.) She tried the key fob by pressing the unlock button repeatedly. (her car worked that way and didn't have the trunk button.) She didn't know about the button in the console or using the key pad. Four ways to open the trunk and she couldn't quite do it. :P :blush:
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • candleman48candleman48 Member Posts: 4
    iam looking for a brake pressure control valve for a 1989 ford thunderbird sc with abs brakes
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did you try the dealer?
    yes dealers say they cant get this part
    Are we talking about the solenoid valve assembly attached to the master cylinder?

SEE DIAGRAM
    no its the valve between the master cylinder and the brake lines attached to the back of the motorone line in one line to master cylinder and the top of the valve is electrical
    Have you tried another dealer? Some of them are....shall we say....lazy....when it comes to ordering parts for older cars, and it's so easy to say "nah, we ain't got that".

Get on the horn and try another place.

Otherwise, I guess it's the auto wrecker for your search.
  • dtbirddtbird Member Posts: 3
    Would it be possible to take a fuel injected 5.0 out of a 1986 Grand Marquis (this motor was actually originally out of a Mustang or a T-Bird), & put it in a 1986 Thunderbird with a throttle body injected 3.8?
    What do ya think??
  • dtbirddtbird Member Posts: 3
    Sorry,
    That is a '87 fuel injected 302.
    Any engine swap is "possible" with enough money, time and skill.

But the question is, is this a good idea?

Seems like a fair amount of work and expense, even with a "free" motor, for piddling 20 HP. The Mustang motor of that year has more HP than the Marquis motor.

If you are saying that the Marquis motor used to actually be in a Mustang, then you have 165HP instead of your stock 120 HP--but still no big deal for all the work IMO.

I'd go either with a used T-Bird V-8 motor, or with a 5.0 crate motor that was built up. I'm sure there are kits around to make this kind of swap and the engine builders probably know which ones work best.

If you find an entire 1986 T-Bird to cannabalize parts from, all the better.

Also you have to consider that a 1986 T-Bird is not worth very much, so this will be a labor of love, not any kind of investment.

Best thing to do is HOMEWORK and a BUDGET before you buy, or try, anything. Find someone who's actually done a V-8 swap and find out what difficulties they ran into. Did they use the same transmission? How did they mate up the V-6 wiring and computer to the V-8 engine?

Visiting Host
    i have a 1989 ford thunderbird sc with abs brakes is there any way to switch it over to regular brakes and if it can be done how
  • onlyfords2onlyfords2 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 tbird that i keep having the same recurring problem with and i can"t seem to find anyone who can understand or fix the problem. i have had to have every one of the plugs and coils replaced at least twice in the last year because of miss fire problems. i have taken the thing to several different dealers here in the tampabay area and none of them can seem to find the problem. i am about ready to sell it and move on, has anyone else had this problem and what is the fix? i love the car otherwise but if i can"t drive it then what good is it?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I truly wish I could help you - mine however, has never had this problem at all..... and from your description, it's hard to see how this could actually be an electrical issue. Any chance it could be a fuel pump or filter?
    I assume this car has the COPS (coil on plug) like the Lincoln LS. Common for these to have to be replaced.

However, if they all have been replaced, they should be good for years. Maybe it is another issue and the dealer automatically replaces the COPS because they are usually the culprit when there is a miss?
  • zeus7zeus7 Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone familiar with the engine? Specifically the fuel pump and sensors? Mine is in the shop and at first I was told it needed two fuel pumps, now they are telling me they were wrong, that it only has one fuel pump and two sensors, one regular sensor and an auxiliary sensor.

Thanks
    one pump, + fuel pressure sensor and fuel temperature sensor.
  • zeus7zeus7 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the quick reply!! Much appreciated. :)
  • daver35daver35 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 94 bird replaced the starter on it still makes the dreaded whirring sound when engaged trying to locate the starter relay or solinoid having no luck finding either any advice on where to look or other possible solutions to fix it would be appreciated :confuse:
    The solenoid should be mounted right on the starter motor.
  • enderdrmenderdrm Member Posts: 5
    If the starter runs, it's not the solenoid. The starter is not engaging the flywheel. If you can see it, watch what it does when a helper tries to start it. Make sure the gear on the starter moves out to engage the flywheel. If you can't see it, you may need to pull the starter again and hook it up on the floor to a battery to watch it.
    Be careful, these things can have a lot of torque.
  • never2much_hpnever2much_hp Member Posts: 1
    HI,
    I have a 95 T-bird with non-PI heads. I am doing a head swap to PI heads. I was reading that the 95 T-birds with non-PI heads have 205 HP and the 96 - 97 T-birds wtih PI heads have 195 HP. I don't get why the newer T-birds dropped in HP when PI heads flow way more better. Is it because in 96 - 97, they dropped the compression and the 95 T-birds have a higher compression? Can anybody answer my question or have any thoughts on this.
    We've driven our 95 V8 since 1998 100,000 miles and need to use Mid grade gas to prevent pinging. Same for our 94 Town Car.
  • johnrossjohnross Member Posts: 1
    2005 Ford Thunderbird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 43,245 miles

2005 Ford Thunderbird overheating after being parked all day drove about five miles in about seven minutes. Had same problem last year in the exact same place as tonight. Last year took car to Ford and they could not duplicate the problem. Only after I talked to the service manager they decided to replaced the thermostat even though it was not stuck. Tonight I pulled over let car cool down and drove home with heater on with car operating in normal range.
  • mrsixpackmrsixpack Member Posts: 39
    I may be wrong BUT it sounds like you have something plugging up the water passages....it ran ok with heater on so that lets the water circulate, heater off water don't go round and round ! Think I'd be pulling some hoses and running water in one end of everything to see if its coming out the other ends of something ! Tuff to say where a plugged line maybe but thats what I would look for !
    I once had a hung of rust break lose and plug the lower hose just enuff to get the temps higher.........

Have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Has the air been bled out of the cooling system? I'm assuming the Ford dealer knew to do this, that can be an issue on these cars.
  • tbirdgirltbirdgirl Member Posts: 1
    put hardtop on this fall and it won't snug up against the top windshield. If set screws are stripped, can these (only the screws) be replaced or is some whole assembly required?
    I just got a 96' Bird with 112k miles, engine was gone thru 10k ago according to last owner. Its in great shape and runs perfect. My question is has anyone gone to synthetic oil, trans, steering etc, in older 4.6 engines and what was the results ?
    I have seen many good words on synthetics and am thinking complete change over and going to 5k between oil changes instead of the 3k now?
    Comments please ?
    Synthetics are great. But if you are going to try extended oil changes, the safest course of action is to get periodic oil analysis. That's the only REAL way to know how your oil is holding up, and when to change it, if you're going for the long haul between changes.
    Hello,i would think you can just replace the screws i wouldnt saee why changing the hardware would be needed all you'll do is spend more money for the hardware again to have the same problem,depending on how it's set up you could possibly find someone to help you and you POSSIBLY could use seft tapping screws in replace of the set screws a slight bit bigger in width then the origional screws.Jim
    If i was you i would definetly go with a syntheyic oil,espically in an older vehicle,i just picked up a 66 mercury ans i honestly believe thats what i'll be using in it and will being doing it prior to trying to start it for the first time in 20 yrs.even though it only has 93K origional miles i honestly believe it will give the old girl longer life.Jim
    It looks like there is the old dino oil, full syntheyic and even blended (1/2 & 1/2 I guess) oils....................This is my first GAS car in 22 years, all the others were diesel, back when I was driving GAS engines there was no such thing as syntheyics ! Wow I sound old ! LOL.....Thanks guys and I will keep looking at the info, I have about 500 miles to do till its 3000 mile change !
    Thanks
  • drdr05drdr05 Member Posts: 7
    My 95 T-bird ran great till this. She started to give a lag when taking off and on the freeway she would chug ever so often. I checked my obd2 with the code reader and it came up with a p0102, so I proceeded to test the circut. When I tested the input power to the MAF and the fuse popped. I replaced the fuse with a paper clip so that I can move on with my testing. There is power going to the MAF, so I pluged th MAF back in and tested to see if the MAF is working, well it isn't. I remember when I hooked up my ram/cold air intake (Home made) and I forgot to plug in my MAF, well my car ran fine then. So, right now I have the MAF disconnected and she still runs like crap but worse. It won't keep an idle in gear she dies and in N or P if I barely give her gas and she goes way down on the idle. So I thought that it might be a PCV problem and no. But I did noticed that when I took the top hose off of the PCV valve the car doesn't die in gear but it still lags a little when taking off. This is my everyday driver and she has 154,000 miles. what should I do with little money?????
    I have this noise that sounds like some kind of motor or gears turning...something....on the passenger side under the dash or maybe that side of engine compartment. It does it when you first turn the key on. I talked with another 96' bird owner and ne never noticed it till I said something and his does it to !
    Any ideas ?
    Mine made that kind of noise for a while. It was the electric fuel pump. It's actually located in the tank at the rear of the car but the sound kind of reverberates throughout the car.
    do you have a retractable antenna, if so, does it go up and down, if it doesn't it's the gears in the motor. If it's not the antenna then I don't know. Mine doesn't work and it just buzzes, but it does it when I turn the key on and off.
  • 1995tbird1995tbird Member Posts: 2
    it sounds like its your catalytic converter ..some times it ratttles like a bucket if bolts...its cheaper to have your catalytic converter reamed out than it is to replace it ...let me know...
    what size inlet and outlet of an exhaust manafold is on my 1995 thunderbird.

Also what is the biggest I can put on my stock engine.

I'm just looking to do some mods.
    What is the difference on having a bigger exhaust pipe than a smaller pipe??
    A neighbor that has the same 96 Tbird only his is the sport version talked to me today and asked what is the problem with his bird. It pulls real hard to the left going down level straight roads but if he just barely touches the brakes it goes straight !

Any idea ? I think alinement !
    Sounds like to me that the driver side piston in the brake caliper is not disengaging, thus in nomal driving there would be a pull to the left and when the other side engages no more pull I hope this helps.....
    Be sure your modifications are compatible with the on board computer! ;)
    So you don't know how big the manafold is and you don't what size I can put on it without worring about the computer.
    Maybe try some websites or forums specifically for MN12 T-Birds and 4.6 V8's.
    A lot of people mod these motors and would probably know what would work.
  • thunderbirdscthunderbirdsc Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    I have a 1990 tbird sc and it has delayed exit and auto headlamps!my headlights are flashing on and off !has enyone ever had this problem?iv unpluged the duel coil realy so lights only work when the switch is on but still flash on and off!(this sucks when you drive by cops at night)!!Any Ideas?
  • roklobstaroklobsta Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    My cars headlights come on and off at random for no reason when i have the switch pulled out anyone know why this happens. My guess is some sort of relay of flasher that controls the headlights or its the switch. its not the wiring i don't think because i have carefully looked it over i also notice that my turn signal indicators in the dash are always lit up when the headlights are on sometimes its more light up than others or one side is brighter but not when they are off. very strange i fix tons of cars all the time but this one is odd. There was someone else that had the same problem on here so it must be a factory defective thing
  • thunderbirdscthunderbirdsc Member Posts: 2
    i figured out mine and it was just THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH!
  • sandyf10sandyf10 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Can anyone tell me what would case the above ? When I am driving and have my wipers going and turn my Right Turn signal on the wipers stop working. Very dangerous when I am on the freeway and it is pouring down rain. Help please. Seems to be fine when using Left turn signal. Tbird year is 1996
    Wipers and turn signals are same switch. My guess would be the multi switch/ wiper and turn signal switch.