Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Thunderbird Help!

124»

Comments

• drdr05drdr05 Member Posts: 7
    she runs fine until she warms up completely. no lag and no hesitation when this happens. in gear runs at 495rpm rough idle normally she sits at 500-575. in N or P she runs at normal 700-800rpm but when I hold the gas at 1000rpm she runs rough. any thoughts anybody.
  • seiherseiher Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1996 tbird lx sport and its been loosing power and last night the check engine started to flash. I have no clue what could be making it happen. any suggestions? need to get fixed asap. only means of transpertation
  • mrsixpackmrsixpack Member Posts: 39
    AS much as I hate to say this, thanks to all the computer stuff you will need to find someone with a reader and see what it says. could be bad plugs, wires, timing, sensors or a lose fuel cap.....I hate all the computer crap but love the car ! We can not just shade-tree fix these cars anymore :(
  • nsunnsun Member Posts: 1
    we have a 97 tbird, last week there was smoke coming from the housing area right by the motor unit that I think, runs the radiator fan. Now, there is no smoke, but the fan no longer engages once the engine warms up. Is is possible to replace the motor, if indeed they burn out, or should we look into the fan and it's components being replaced.? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion may help too.
  • enderdrmenderdrm Member Posts: 5
    You probably need to replace the fan motor.
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1996-Ford-Thunderbird/Radiator-Fan-Motor/- _/N-j4xe1Z9pd9y
    Pretty expensive - maybe check a boneyard.
  • bob399bob399 Member Posts: 3
    Like to purchace a 2005 Thunderbird 3.9, manufacture recommends premiun fuel at todays prices would it be ok to use regular 89 octane with out doing damage to engine or ping.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2012
    Our specs say "Fuel type: premium unleaded (required)". Not "recommended".

The general rule of thumb when premium is required is that using regular gas gives you less performance, worse gas mileage and can increase the wear and tear on the engine. The car's computer should compensate and prevent ping though.

Since gas got over $3 a gallon, the percentage difference between regular and premium has fallen in most places.

Back when regular was $1.75, paying $2 for regular made a big percentage difference. The percentage difference between $3.50 and $3.75 isn't so much.

Enjoy the new ride and don't sweat the gas price - the better mpg should just about make up for the extra cost (the extra cost could easily be less than $100 a year).
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I asked a Ford tech about using regular gas in my Lincoln LS and he gave me pretty much the the same answer you did, Steve. The increase in mileage and performance make up for the small increase in cost.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • waniwani Member Posts: 1
    Where is 1991 Ford V-6, 3.8 ignigtion module located. Coil & sparkplugs replaced, new battery, new fuel pump. Acts like going to start, but won't. Was running great, but had to sit without starting for about 2-3 months.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2012
    Thick Film Ignition (TFI) module is located on the left side (as you face the car) of the radiator shroud.

You might go to ROCK AUTO to see what one looks like