Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Thunderbird Help!

Comments

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Try tirerack.com. they have a technical section which will show which bolt circle and offset will work on your car. I'm pretty sure it's a different circle than the Mustang because I found a set on craigslist and looked it up and they would'nt fit.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • thunderbird94thunderbird94 Member Posts: 1
    my 1994 thunderbird chech engine light just came on. smells like raw fuel coming out of exhaust and under hood. engine missing at all speeds. white smoke coming out of exhaust. never smoked or smelled before check engine light came on. please help.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I suspect a leaking head gasket allowing coolant into the combustion chamber.

Recommend it be towed in for actual diagnosis as continued driving is not good for it.
    I know some years had composite intake manifolds which could crack and cause problems. I think that was the 3.8 V-6 engines.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I would say its head gasket.

-mike
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Some 4.6L V8 engines w/o the metal liner were also affected.
  • thunderbird90thunderbird90 Member Posts: 2
    my 1990 thunderbird V-6 S.C has a A.B.S. problem both lights are on a.b.s. and brake. i can't bleed the back brakes or use them cause the motor for the accumulator to charge wont come on. unless i direcly bypass it any info would help I checked all fuses and replaced relay and still nothing
  • enderdrmenderdrm Member Posts: 5
    Maybe you need a break box to bleed your abs system. My'96 requires it.
  • thunderbird90thunderbird90 Member Posts: 2
    not sure what a brake box is. my car has a accumulator that gets pressurized with a motor. in order to bleed it needs pressure. so i only have front brakes and the pedal is hard.at first i couldn't get fluid to the back so i bypassed the motor direct and was able to get fluid.
  • toolshagger1toolshagger1 Member Posts: 2
    I had a brake problem. had brakes, then no brakes, replaced the accumulator twice, only to find the fix was a really cheap fix...the ignition switch was bad....replaced that and now I stop on a dime. I dont know if this will help, but I would have never thought of it!!
  • toolshagger1toolshagger1 Member Posts: 2
    I know a guy at O'reillys in Austin Texas that is very knowledgable about this car, (my son, and I have the same car) try giving him a call, he has all kinds of automotive hook-ups...Clay-512-219-0715, day time hours. Tell him his Mother referred you!!!
  • drummerduffydrummerduffy Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 91 supercoupe with a bad leak on topof the motor right under the superchager tubes, I can't find where it is leaking. I clean the whole area and let the car idle for a while and cant see nothing, as soon as i drive it for as little as two blocks I come home and the whole side of the motor from the top down is soaked with oil. I've tried everything i can think of but am stumped I really could use some help if anybody got any ideas please let me know. thank you
  • 94tbird94tbird Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 94 TBIRD 3.8 V6 I JUST CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP AND ITS STILL NOT STARTING. NO GAS IS GOIN TO THE ENGINE. SOME ONE SUGGESTED THE RELAY CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE ITS LOCATED AT.I CANT FIND IT .
  • 97thunderbird97thunderbird Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the fuel pump shut off switch is on the 97 thunderbird and is it the inertia switch in the back?
    :sick:
  • 97thunderbird97thunderbird Member Posts: 2
    Im having the same problem. we replaced the pump checked the fuses to make sure none are burnt then check the inertia switch in the trunk now weve been told that if it is a electronic fuel enjected that is has a fuel pump shut off swith that may have been triggered. so do you have one of those switches and if you do do you know where it is I cant find to check
  • mike922mike922 Member Posts: 2
    Help! I am new to this forum and I just read your post. I have a 94 LX and plan on swapping out the tired and dying 4.6 with the DOHC 4.6 from a mark viii myself. What year engine did you use? What problems did you run into if any? I've been told it's a bolt in swap. Did you change the radiator? What about tranny? Where did you find the traction lock rear end? Any help you can share will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    If you go to the website LincolnvsCadillac.com there's some guys that really know Mark VIII's. I know there is one guy who did that DOHC swap into a T-Bird.

I had thought you needed a scoop to clear the taller engine but I guess this guy made it fit under the stock hood.
  • nolemannoleman Member Posts: 1
    Hi all...........and HELP, lol.
    I am new here, and I am in need of a headlight lens cover for the RH (passenger side) of my 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. It is not an actual headlight lamp, but a rectangular plastic cover that covers the plug in (xenon) type light. It just snaps in, and I have lost mine - or either someone needed it worse than I did, I guess. If anyone knows of where I can find one, or a pair, please let me know.

Thanks guys!!
    You can try Ebay. I don't know about your year, but you can find brand new ones for the '94-'95 T-Birds and many other cars, brand new part, cheap.

I bought clear corner lights for my T-Bird, was an aftermarket part, but fit and looked great.
  • ford302powerford302power Member Posts: 2
    hello everyone, im looking for speed. i have a used 80's thunderbird, with the 302 v-8.it has a 4 barrel carb. and other than a replacement exhaust it is completely original. id like to keep costs below $1,500 IF ITS POSSIBLE. p.s. only fast on the track,not on the street.(id advise against street racing)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    $1,500 is not going to buy you much I don't think. You can build power into a 302 but it's more expensive than that. If I were you I'd think about saving up more money and putting in a 302 crate motor that's been built ground up for serious HP. Just bolting stuff onto a stock motor brings very limited results for your $$$, IMO.
  • ford302powerford302power Member Posts: 2
    i also have a 460 ford from a van, same yr. lower mileage, i think 80,000. will this fit the engine mounts of a stock 1980 t-bird? btw, my sunroof leaks and is making the inside of the car smell,other than throwing a tarp over it,what do i do?
  • justoffabitjustoffabit Member Posts: 1
    OK, first off ... a break OUT box will NOT bleed your brakes, nor will it help you with them in any way, all that does is give you a singular place to test circuits by centalizing the point at which to do that, it is placed in line in the circuit with open "holes" so you can probe for voltage with a DVOM of a test light ... that's it. What others may be speaking of is basically a scan tool. You can perform a "service bleed" on the brakes...... but not with your year car, it's incapable. Sounds like a bad/corroded/open circuit to me. Start probing with the test light, you can download all the wiring diags on line I"m sure.
  • bill03bill03 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '02 Tbird with 10K miles on it. It is rarley driven at night so I don't know how long it has had this problem. I recently took it out in the evening and discovered that the speedometer/tach console does not light. All other lights on the dash light including all warning lights. I've checked the fuses under the dash...all are ok. Anyone have any ideas?
  • sportshoessportshoes Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 55 T-Bird partially restored and am making more restoration improvements to it. The car has a 6 volt system and I'd like to change it to a 12 volt system. Questions are: do I need to rewire and if so is a complete wire harness made for this, can someone list the specific items that need to be changed out? Battery & bulbs, of course, change from generator to alternator?, starter? what else? Thanks for your help & advice.
    I think you will find this a useful article:

Converting 6 V to 12 V

Visiting Host from "Classics" (just happened to have this in my files)
  • jaxejaxe Member Posts: 6
    Hello,Im not sure but years ago a friend of mine took and put 350 heads on his 327 and that increased his horse power.Jim
    Hello,when I worked in a body shop we used a plastic tool that looked almost like a carpenters pencil as far as shape it was narrow at the end not super sharp but we used that tool to go under and all around all rubber seals to slide the tape we used to lift the rubber upwards and it had sticky side we used that to cover all the rubber so the paint didnt get on the rubber if you take something and get under your rubber seal on your sunroof and loosen it up take some clear sealer and squeez it under the rubber seal,it's probably leaking under your rubber seal,if you put the clear sealer,like a clear cauklk you can get this should seal up your sun roof.Jim
  • valsistovalsisto Member Posts: 2
    It would be beneficial to me to know all the details of any 1956 thunderbird.
    ie: what's under the hood, the speed capacity,the frame length,how many miles per gallon, what size of tires and so forth.
    I would appreciate very much if some one could help me and supply me with the information.
  • jb643jb643 Member Posts: 4
    Rear lights on driver's side

Turn signals work
    Headlights work
    When braking, only the passenger side lights up-
    the driver's side does not light up
    Help-where to look, suggestions-and other Sherlock Holmes
    input is appreciated.

thanks

Jerry643
  • 77TBird77TBird Member Posts: 1
    I have this car and it's being wasted sitting in a field. Can someone tell me if it's worth bringing back to life or is it not a good project car? thank you in advance.
  • darlindesidarlindesi Member Posts: 4
    please help , does anyone know if this car have a built in amphlier? I am having a hard time putting in a new car sterio ( which has a bult in amp) but i cant seem to get it to work. do i need to disconnect any amp that may be factory installed in the car?
    any suggestions would help
    Thanks Desi
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't know, but you might try Crutchfield.com or Installdr.com. Maybe one of their install guides will trigger something.
    thanks , will do that.
    No the car has little value and isn't worth restoring. If you like this model, you can buy a nice one very cheaply right now.
  • mike922mike922 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 LX and had no problems installing a Pioneer cd player. I used an install kit and just followed the wiring diagram with the kit. I would contact either stereo maker or store where bought for the correct install kit. Good luck... let me know how it goes...
  • enderdrmenderdrm Member Posts: 5
    If the factory stereo says "Premium Sound", it probably has an amp. Just look in the trunk under the rear deck and you will see it. There will be a rack with a silver box on it. If it does, you have to get the wiring kit with the amp bypass cable included. I had to do this on my '96 LX.
    Dave M.
    Yeah I think you're right. My '95 LX didn't have premium sound and it didn't have and amp. I think the premium sound does.
    Thanks mike ,
    I did get the it installed : it turned out the sterro itself was bad; i retuned it and the new one is working perfect . Its all good
    thanks for everyones imput ; it turned out the stereo system itself was bad. i returned it and installed the new one. Its all good
    Desi
  • bill__kbill__k Member Posts: 1
    i'm looking for a set of whitewalls for a 2003 t-bird and not finding much. any suggestions???
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try asking in the Tires, tires, tires discussion too. There's only about a half a dozen whitewall related posts in there, but someone may know of an option for you.
  • 56bird56bird Member Posts: 1
    All of a sudden at one time I lost power to the heater-power to the rear window D-fog, and oilpressure gauge. Have checked all fuses and relays. Anybody ever here of this???
  • mcalistermcalister Member Posts: 1
    i recently saw a late model t-bird probly a 2006-7 or 8,this car had a jag engine i was told it was a 1 of 1 proto type..does anyone no anything about it??
  • kanuchikanuchi Member Posts: 8
    My radio went out which also controls my antenna on my 1996 ford thunderbird
    I know its the fuse but when I checked all the fuses they were fine????

also my right front passenger side is pulls to the right when driving is it hopefully
    just the alignment because my wife lives at a condo with alot of bumps so you dont drive fast do you think thats the cause

pls advise
    Hard to diagnose a front end without looking at it. Could be alignment, look out for bad ball joints, too. My car was pulling, finally the ball joint popped out of the socket.

Dont know about the radio.
  • kanuchikanuchi Member Posts: 8
    any ideas why my radio and antenna both stopped working,especially when I bought the car the dealer already put a new antenna in it and why cant i get even
    any kind of sound out of the radio?

thanks
  • oklahomaoklahoma Member Posts: 2
    MY SON HAS A 1990 T-BIRD- THE TRUNK WILL NOT OPEN- I NEED HELP
    Hello,it's possible the lock is shot and the tumblers arent hitting,did you try to put the key in and at the same time push down on the trunk lid as you turn the key?some times that may work,if not perhaps you can take the back seat out crawl in the trunk area and open it from the inside,then replace the trunk lock.Jim
    Does it have an electric trunk release button in the console or glove box? Will the trunk open with that?