Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Hybrid

Comments

• karolpl7karolpl7 Member Posts: 40
    emgr,

You have to hit the 'eject' button to open up the little cd door - yes, even if there's no CD inside. I got stuck on it myself for a moment. You can't just push the CD inside.
    Maybe annoying but I guess it prevents dust from getting in.

Also, I've noticed it often takes time for the CD player to read mp3 tags, but eventually it works and titles are displayed on the screen.
    Someone mentioned on a different forum that they pay $80 for an oil change for the NAH. I dread the day when it's my turn...
  • emgremgr Member Posts: 109
    I tried that too. The problem is that the CD unit won't pull the CD in at all. It won't detect that it is being loaded. What you are saying goes against the manual. But I tried it every which way but Sunday.
  • langjielangjie Member Posts: 250
    0w20 is the prefered oil for hybrids (supposedly the best for start/stopping). my dealership still only has 5w30. should be fine though...but i may change over to 0w20 when it gets cheaper. we need walmart to stock it, =T

to get to the oil filter, try taking off the front passenger side wheel. easier to access now?
    I tried your suggestion and nothing. No it didn't change or change. When I hit any button, it says to "eject the CD". I wait and then it comes up "No CD." No other prompt. I pushed the eject button as well and the same thing appears. I will just take it back tomorrow. It might even be a software problem.
  • townboy325townboy325 Member Posts: 37
    go to Toyota service dept. they will has a lots for u... i picked 2 case up half year ago when they were onsale for 3.50 a qt.

easy way to do yourself just jack the passage up
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks hybrid drivers. Please send your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 14, 2007.
    Well took the car with the bad CD player to the dealer today and they were stumped and said "you got that right." They even took it out and checked the connections and still didn't work.

They have ordered a new 6 CD unit.
  • viperjoeviperjoe Member Posts: 7
    Well the transport truck just dropped off my car tonight as I had it shipped from LA to the Houston area. I placed the transport order monday night and they picked it up wednesday and delivered on friday for $600 which I thought was a decent price. I have only driven it 12 miles but I think it will suit my need for decent gas mileage with out giving up too many amenities. I am replacing my G35 with this car and while it may not be as fancy as the G I will certainly not miss the frequent fill ups with premium.
  • irecycleirecycle Member Posts: 5
    I love my car, but am somewhat disappointed to get only 31mpg for the period. I see other drivers getting 35 and better and wonder what I am doing wrong. I try to keep the car in EV mode as much as possible and never drive the car hard, but it stays the same. Most of the driving is in town so that should increase my mileage, but it hasn't. The gas in the Portland area in winter is partly Ethenol, so this might be part on the reason for the low mileage.
    I wonder the same.

Some drivers claim to be getting 35, 36, some even 40 mpg on '07 model reviews. Nissan rates their hybrid 35 city / 33 highway.

I made my first 2000 miles, and depending on my driving style, I've been getting 31-34, mostly average 31.5 now. About 70% highway so I can see the mpg go down. When it was warmer, (I'm in NY) I would get about 32-33. I try to stay in EV as much as possible and go easy on the gas.

After going to a gas station and crunching my numbers, I got 31mpg last time. Display showed 33pmg. It's still better millage if I would drive 2.5 non-hybrid Altima - 23/31mpg, but I wonder how come some people get mpgs in high 30s range?

I know when it's cold the engine has to warm up = wasted gas, and then you use the heat = more wasted gas. Lately I've been relaying more on heated seats then heat itself.

Some people say I will get better millage after first oil change. Couple of mechanics told me that's not really true... maybe a tiny bit more.

So what's your mpg? ...and do you drive in cold / warm state?

Thanx for your thoughs,

karolpl7
    i was consistently getting 35-36 MPG during the summer time...

so far for the winter (if i take out a 5.5 hour, 25 mile drive in a blizzard out of my calcs), i'm getting about 31 MPG so far during the winter
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    After 6,500 miles my average has been 36.5 MPG. My low has been 32MPG and high has been 39MPG. Most of the time its has been between 35-37MPG. Once, I drove 400 miles on a half a tank. I track my MPG every tank I fill up.
    That's the mileage that I thought I would get, instead of the average of 31mpg. Last tank I got only 28mpg. I would like to know what the difference between your experience and mine. Like do you live in a cold or warm climate, is it hilly or flat where you live and what kind of driving do you do, that is, stop and go or freeway driving. I keep my mileage record at this site: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm. I am the number 2 car for 2007 Altima Hybrid.
    I live in CA. I drive flat roads just about all the time. I try to drive in EV mode as much as I can without having a lot of cars behind me. In other words, in all the 40MPH zones, I drive in EV mode. I drive my var very conservatively and not over the speed limits. On the freeway I am driving between 65-70MPH.
    I had taken in my NAH for servicing a few months back and they give my a 2.5S automatic gas version for a rental. I got 33MPG. I have come to realize, unless you drive a lot (20,000 miles or more a year) and a lot of stop and go, a hybrid is a good buy, otherwise gas version will be good. Especially since the Altima gas has a CVT engine.
    Another observation, the trip computer is a waste. Its is no good. The readings are all incorrect from the range to the MPG. One things I noticed is the "Range" increases when I am on the freeway, but once I start to drive "stop and go"-city streets, the Range drops. You would think it would increase since hybrids are supposed to bo better in the city then highway. And on the freeway its better not to cruise and just drive. On gas cars, using cruise helps the MPG, but in my NAH, I have obeserved it doesn't.
    The only thing I can correct you on is that that the Nissan Hybrid also has a CVT except it operates electronically so they call it an ECVT.

I drive Altima's for a car rental agency and have driven over a dozen standard 2.5S. They were good on MPG. On the highway I continuely got 38 mpg at 70 mph.

However I bought the hybrid and have had it less than 1,000 miles. I know that I can't evaluate the mpg in our winter weather or compare it to the standard 2.5S at this time. Just way to early. However, it does get 13 mpg more than my Subaru did. So I am happy. I expect better after driving 5,000.
    I think the weather does make a difference.

I got 29mpg on last tank (trip computer: 31-32mpg, yeah right) while driving in 20-30F weather (freezing NY). So I fill up today, drive about 50 miles and so far I've been getting 35-37. It was about 50F today. And I take the same road driving to work every day. Can few degrees make such a difference or it's all in my head?

I'll definetly post some numbers on the web, got my receipts saved up. :P
    400 miles on half tank that's pretty impressive, half a tank is 10 gallons, so that means you did an average 40mpg for 400 miles straight? That's a lot of patient driving.

Edmunds '08 review still has exaggerated numbers, nissanusa corrected it, so should Edmunds;
    Specs Fuel Tank Capacity: 20 gal.; EPA Mileage Estimates: 42 mpg / 36 mpg; Range in Miles: 840 mi. / 720 mi :confuse:
    Does anyone know if there is a tech manual available to the public for the new 07/08 Altimas and the hybrids?

I used to have a Haynes manual for my old Civic... but they don't have anything for Nissans at all.

Thanx,

karolpl7
    Well the new 6 CD changer came it and it works like its supposed to. What I see right away is that the buttons always are lite for each CD position. In the original CD changer, none of the buttons were lighted.

Unit works well. I am happy.
  • fxborfxbor Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting only 27.5 MPG on my Altima Hybrid after two tank fills here in the suburbs of Porttland, Oregon. My trips are usually short, 3-8 miles on flat terrain. I'm also registered at http://www.fueleconomy.gov.

I had expected some decrease in MPG compared to the average based upon my short trips. I had not however, expected a 7 MPG decrease.

If someone is looking for great mileage for short commutes, better to buy a clean diesel (when they become available) as opposed to a hybrid.
    Does anyone experience occasional slight shudders when the engine is cold for the first one or two minutes after starting?

For example, I started the car today, first time in two days, it's about 50F outside, pull out from the parking lot, and I can feel as if the car is trying to switch to EV mode, but the engine is too cold yet so it doesn't. You can feel those little shudders from time to time, some are stronger. It's was annoying at first, but need to ask Nissan service during first oil change.

Any one experiencing the same? Thanx,

karolpl7
    Every morning when I start my NAH, it starts the engine in less than a minute. Sometimes the shudder is worse than some mornings. For the first 15-20 minutes the engine warms up and the blue cold light turns off. When the blue light turns off, the engine is still warming because I would turn on my heater and at red lights, the car would turn go out of EV Mode and if I turn the heater off, the it would go back to EV mode. I would say, this is all normal because in general, hybrids work the best when the engine is running hot not cold. As for the shudders, sometimes it shudders very hard.
    Thanx for the info mazda6dude.

The shudders is what I'm concerned, but I see you experience the same.
    It runs smoother after 1-2 minutes and is all fine after 5 I would say. It does take 10 minutes or so for the cold engine light to go off, unless you start driving and it goes away faster. Probably depends how really cold it is.

I was little bit surprised you can't just press the gas while parked, to rev up the engine. It doesn't do much. Kind of miss my '98 Honda where I new exactly what was going on. :shades:

I wish I could have read about this in countless reviews that are out there. Hope our friends in CA don't have the same problem. Thank you cold east coast...

karolpl7
    i'm #5
  • hiwaymanhiwayman Member Posts: 98
    The reason your gas mileage isn't very good, is because your car doesn't have time to warm up. Warm oil and warm parts have the proper friction for best efficiency. Hybrids are almost magical, but the reality is that the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) has to warm up, as do all the other bits and pieces, before the car is running at max efficiency. 5 to 8 miles isn't enough, especially in cool weather.

In regard to the shuddering, I live in Northern California. We've had some unseasonably cool weather just before the holidays. Frost almost every morning. In this weather, the car definitely shudders harder when the ICE kicks in, until it warms up. This is reasonable, considering that all the fluids (oils, greases, coolants) are all pretty viscous (even if the oil is a very thin 0w 20). Over longer trips, as the systems warm to their tasks, the shuddering returns to the slight bump we'd feel in the summer months. I am a backyard mechanic, and have listened for odd noises or behaviors. I don't think the harder bump is a problem. If it keeps bumping/shuddering hard come April/May, then we'll go see Nissan...
    hiwayman do you think using 0w20 oil instead of 5w30 will make a difference in gas mileage? Also, is synthetic better? Thanks.
    Thanx for the response hiwayman, good stuff, bloody winter...
    I believe you are right about gas mileage being low when mostly short trips are made. I made a trip to the hardware store of only 5 miles one way and the ICE was running almost all the time. With the temperature around 39 the ICE seems to run even at traffic lights. I think what I need to get is a plug-in hybrid that will run on electric only for the first 20 miles or more. I am afraid that with my driving needs I will always get disappointing mileage with this hybrid.
    Irecycle, In regard to your question about the oil, I believe that 0w 20, especially in winter, will give you slightly better gas mileage. If you think about it, you'll realize that thicker oil means more friction, which means the engine has to work harder to produce a given amount of power. I'm not sure how much of an increase you'll see, especially since you're driving the short distances, but thinner oil can only help. Nissan does reccommend 0w 20 for winter, and 5w 20 for hot summer, and tough conditions. I myself have trouble finding the 0w 20, and since our Nissan dealer only charges $30.00 for an oil change, I don't mess with it much. Just pay the man. My local autoparts store has offered to order cases of the stuff for me, so it is available if you want to go to the trouble.

Synthetic is always better in today's engines. The longer molecular chains make is slipperier for a given application, reducing friction and wear, and a condition in oil lubrication called "shearing" (that's a bad thing). Synthetic generally isn't recommended for break in, since it is so slippery that the part that would normally be polishing against each other, plus rings trying to seat don't do that break in work as well, but once you've broken the engine in, synthetic is the thing to get, if you can afford it. The one myth to avoid, though, is that you can go longer between oil changes with synthetic. That's true as far as the oil's ability to lubricate go, but remember that your engine is constantly dumping garbage into your oil, so even synthetic should be changed regularly to get that crud that the oil is carrying out of your engine. A filter will get some of it, but once the filter gets full, a relieve valve lifts in the filter, and the oil is no longer filtered. Change the oil!

In regard to batteries and extending the range, like everyone else (and you of course) I'm hoping for a breakthrough in hybrid technology which will extend the electrical range of the car. Out here in California there are companies which will install plug-in systems in hybrids, but the installation is currently quite expensive (on the order of $5,000 or more) and voids your warranty. Right now the technology for plug in hybrids is more for bragging rights than anything else. More work has to be done.

My chemical engineer friends tell me there is currently a new battery technology in testing stages which is going to make current batteries pretty pathetic, if they can get all the bugs out of the thing. Additionally, it uses some sort of foam technology which allows the battery to be molded into pretty much any reasonable shape, and the materials used are considerably lighter than current technology batteries. The implications to the automotive industry (and motorcycle and recreational vehicle) are pretty obvious. No more need to lose 1/2 the trunk space for a big brick of a battery, like we NAH owners do. The battery could be conformally mounted to the belly pan, or inside fenders, behind bumpers, or any number of places. Fingers crossed that they can get the bugs out of the thing...
    make sure u ask your dealer what grade of oil do they used on your hybrid...
    At our dealership, the grade of oil used appears on the work order.
  • saabgeorgesaabgeorge Member Posts: 22
    "Nissan does reccommend 0w 20 for winter, and 5w 20 for hot summer, and tough conditions.

highwayman

Where did you get this info? Everything I've read - owner's manual, shop manual, tech bulletins - the main recommendation is for 0W-20 year round. 5W-20 and 5W-30 are listed as acceptable substitutes but nowhere have I come across written recommendation to use 5W-20 in the summer instead of 0W-20.
    I am glad you posted it. I thought I was going crazy as I also looked in the manual, and the tech bulletins. Nowwhere did I see a recommendation for 5W-20 for Summer except as an acceptable substitute year around if you can't get 0W-20.
  • dunkmeisterdunkmeister Member Posts: 3
    Noticed a few posts about plug-in conversions and that there are some companies doing it for around $5000. I was wondering if that's practical and/or cost effective in a car that was not designed to be a plug-in. In the NAH I noticed that the battery drains fairly quickly if driven only in EV Mode. So even with a full overnight charge I suspect that you won't get more than a couple of miles down the road before the engine kicks in anyway. Plus, if I remember correctly, the control system keeps the battery in the 40-80% charge state to maximize battery life. I'm not sure how the battery technology differs in the Chevy Volt or the Tesla roadster, but I've read that the Tesla could go upwards of 225 miles on a charge if driven conservatively, which means that the batteries have to have considerably more charge capacity than that built into current hybrids.
    i have heard a few people saying that the dealer has giving them 5-30 on their hybrid if they didn't asked first...

it used to be 0-20 but the latest one on the meunal(08) it said 5-20 or 5-30
    Mine is an O8 and it recommends 0w-20 all season. but states 5w-20 can be a substitute. Not a glowing recommendation. I think I will stick with and specificially ask for the 0w-20
    Here's the link for the 2008 Manual on the Nissan website:

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/altima_hybrid/2008/2008-Nissan-Altima-Hybr- id.pdf

Page 9-2 still has 0W-20 as the primary recommendation for oil with 5W-20 or 5W-30 listed as acceptable substitites.
    This is from the 2008 manual on 9-2

*3: SAE 5W-20 or 5W-30 engine oil may also be used. However, SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for optimum fuel economy and optimum starting in cold weather.
    Saab George, Which info are you talking about? Your references jive with what I said, (at least what I meant) as far as I know, in regard to Nissan's recommended oils. If I didn't make it clear, I apologize.

In regard to SYNTHETIC oils, the statements I made there are general knowledge about synthetics. Synthetics are always better, if you can afford them. Though Nissan doesn't specifically recommend them (the owner's manual of any make of car should be viewed with circumspection, since it is heavily edited by lawyers and bean-counters), it's fine to use them. It is common ICE research knowlege that synthetics are better for any given engine, ONCE IT HAS BROKEN IN. The reason being that synthetics, for any given grade, have better lubrication properties. This is due to longer, stronger molecular chains which work better to keep metal parts apart than "regular" oil. Synthetics also resist "shearing" better. Shearing is a condition in which the molecular chains in the oil are literally sheared, as the oil runs through gear trains (in a NAH, that would be a timing chain area, the oil pump, the cam chain). This can cause premature break down of the oil (causing premature loss of lubrication properties).

In regard to changing synthetic oil, the oil DOES last longer as it was formulated, than regular oils, but the thing to remember is that your engine is constantly filling the oil with debris from on-going wear, combustion chemicals, and other junk, at about the same rate as it would for regular oil. Oils have three missions. 1. Lubricate. 2. Cool parts (which is why the oil pan always hangs down in the air stream below the car) 3. Carry microscopic debris away to the oil filter. So, for item #3, synthetic fills with junk, too, and should be changed only slightly less frequently than "regular" oil.

All of what I've said about synthetic, is NOT in the Nissan Owner's Manual. It is just the current best practices and theories for synthetic oil. As far as what grades to use, you are dead on the money correct. The only caution I'd give in regard to the Nissan oil recommendations is to find that 0w20 if you can find it, expecially in winter. Any misbehaviors in your engine and Nissan MAY try to pin it on the use of the wrong grade oil (they cannot pin it on the use of the wrong brand, due to the Magnusson Moss Act).
    What I was questioning was the statement:

"Nissan does reccommend 0w 20 for winter, and 5w 20 for hot summer, and tough conditions."

That's an exact quote from your post. I was curious where you read that about summer and tough conditions because I haven't seen that anywhere else. If it were true I'd like to know the source before I switch over to a heavier oil for the summer. In the past I always liked to use a heavier oil for the summer but the hybrid is a different beast and I'll stick to whatever Nissan recommends as their primary oil.

BTW, you can always purchase Penzoil 0W-20 on line at the oil-store.com. I just bought 12 quarts for about $5.60 a quart and that includes S&H.
    or u can go to your local Toyota service dept. to get them which where i got my from when they were on sale for $3.5 a Qt.

isn't all 0-20 are Synthetic?
    "or u can go to your local Toyota service dept. to get them which where i got my from when they were on sale for $3.5 a Qt.

isn't all 0-20 are Synthetic?"

How often does Toyota have 0W-20 on sale and do you know if this is a national sale or just your local dealer? $3.20 a quart is a great deal.

I believe, which doesn't make it fact, that 0W-20 would have to be a synthetic but I think that I've seen 5W-20 that isn't.
    i think localy... they send me coupe almost like half of the year or so cause i have my Solara in for oil change($120 for 6 time). it about 3 or 4 month they will has one but the last time they were on sale for $4.5

i think lots of the new Honda using 5-20 and is not sys.
    To be honest, Saab (can I call you Saab? ;) ) That statement was a combo of the one you quoted from the owner's manual and a conversation I had with my own dealer's service rep when I took the car in for its last oil change. I'd mentioned to him that 0w 20 was almost impossible to find and asked him if it would be OK to run 5w20. His response was what I stated. He said that the thicker oil was better for high-stress and hot conditions. The thinner (0w 20) is for winter driving. This seems to be indicated in the section on oil recommendations. I personally don't see any particular anomaly here. The recommendations in the book are in section 9-2 or there abouts (I think..I'm going from memory). How much credence you want to give to this, is up to you.
    got the coupon by mail today from local Toyota for sale 3.99 a Qt. and MSRP $4.54 only so not too bad if u want to do it yourself...
    Cool! Too bad it takes a coupon (and a really, really long drive) haha! That probably indicates that the rare 0w 20 might be getting easier to find. It'll be interesting to see what it costs, soon, since petroleum just hit 100 bucks a barrel yesterday.

We JUST hit 10K on our car on a trip, returning from friends' house in Sacramento, California. My wife, who is a much more gentle driver than I am, probably averaged about 75. We got 40 MPG according to the car's computer. Impressive for freeway driving, to say the least. We've also noted that the machinery is getting looser and looser (more broken in). When we first got the car, it wouldn't stay in EV mode much above 30. Now, it's common to see it top 40 for short distances before it switches to ICE. With crude oil hitting 100, we're very pleased.....
    hiwayman, do you live in sacramento area, if so, and if you dont mind me asking, what dealer did you buy your NAH from? Thats very impressive you got 40 on freeway, probably more like 38 since the computer reading is not that accurate. I'll be coming up on 10K in the couple months. My MPG has been all over the charts. I got 31 on my last tank, and havent seen anything over 35 in the last month. Any idea why?
    I am liking this car more and more each day and appreciating the combined engineering of Nissan and Toyota. What a combination.
    oops... if i know u r in Sacraemento i would have gave u those coupon from Elk Grove Toyota... wow, look like lots of us from sac.