Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Lighting/Electrical

2»

Comments

• kittydogkittydog Member Posts: 5
    Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your response. I am working with Carmax since that is where we bought the car and bought the extended warranty. They have been dealing with the local Chevy dealership, where the car is being sent back to.

Kathy
  • mrsrandle1993mrsrandle1993 Member Posts: 1
    I absolutely HATE this car!! I bought it 1 year ago and have had nothing but problem after problem with it!! First my locks to my back doors NEVER unlock or lock, I have to open back doors and push locks down every time then when we get back in car we have to climb over front seats to unlock doors so they will open, my brakes have to be changed every few months cause they go out prematurely, my front end sounds like a loud, deep sounding creaking noise all the time, there is always water on my backseat passanger floor, and to top it all off I cannot even drive the car in the dark because the drivers side headlight doesn't work on dim or bright and I have changed the bulbs about 6 times in the past year they work for a week to a month then it goes out AGAIN!!!!!! I CANNOT STRESS HOW MUCH I HATE THIS CAR! There should be tons of recalls on this car but pontiac has ignored and avoided all the consumers complaints, there is several that I have found with the same problems as I have!! I just want to drive this car into a wall! So what is Pontiac/GMC going to do for my problems you ask? Well I can purchase out of pocket the $300 wiring harness and have all the lighting rewired and pay the labor fee of $1400.00!! Did I mentioned I just bought this car a year ago for $14,900 and paid cash for it? Where is the CUSTOMER SERVICE???? :sick: :lemon:
    The dealership just redid the wiring harness in our 2005 G6 GT and we are still having problems so don't expect to lay out all that money and have the problem resolved. Its going back to them for the 3rd time since the end of November. I'm glad we got the extended warranty with all the repairs this piece of junk has needed. Good luck.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning, Kathy,

As you're working with Carmax, I will step back. However, if I can ever be of assistance, don't hesitate to get in touch with us via email.

Take care,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Goodmorning mrsrandle1993,

I can understand your frustration. Have you worked with Customer Assistance in regards to these concerns yet? You may still be within your New Vehicle Limited Warranty, and we can check that if you were to send us the last 8 digits of your VIN through an email.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bucknut33bucknut33 Member Posts: 9
    Good luck dealing with GM, After several emails and lack of promised return calls, GM's resolution was to offer me a discount on a new car which is useless to me as I wasn't planning be in the market for a new car for awhile. Its funny when you sell something to GM and there is an issue they feel should be covered under warranty they expect you to take care of it regardless of whether the equipment is still within the warranty period or not.

Looks to me like the new GM is the same as the old GM, I have been a loyal GM buyer for over 35 years with 15+ GM vehicles purchased in that time. I am extremely disappointed in the response from GM. I also have a 2008 Cadillac that I may sell before the warranty runs out, as the customer rep. explained to me that I might want to get rid of my G6 with all of the problems we have had and the warranty is gone. I guess 44,000 is the useful expected life of a GM car.
    Thank You GM for rewarding me for my 35 years of loyalty.
  • ga651972ga651972 Member Posts: 1
    HELP I AM HAVING THIS EXACT SAME PROBLEM AND I AM WONDERING IF YOU FOUND THE PROBLEM???
    The dealer replaced the body control module. It is one of the main computers on the car. It was staying on too long and draining the battery. It has been 2 months no problems yet.
    Sorry to inform you after 2.5 months my problem is back again. My only hope is that the car catches on fire some night while no one is in it and burns to the ground. Of course GM will not stand behind their product.
  • grewan691grewan691 Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with the lowbeam headlights. I have changed the drivers side 3 times, passenger side 2 times and 1 low beam headlight relay since October 2011. I need so assistance of others who are further along in the process of getting this problem fixed.. Any suggestions?? :mad:
  • hon1981hon1981 Member Posts: 1
    You are wasting your money on bulbs. There is a problem with the wiring harness to the headlights on those cars. The lowbeam wires in the harness corrode for some reason causing a short. It should be a recall but I don't think it is.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    I have a 09 base with 33K and no head light problems. Some of the light connectors on some cars get corroded. You can buy repair connectors in most any parts store, just match the connector to you bulb.
    We had all sorts of problems with our electrical. They replaced the wiring harness and still the problems were there. Fortunately we had purchased an extended service plan which paid for it. The BCM is under a special extended warranty. It took many trips back before they finally replaced the BCM under the warranty but all the problems seem to be gone. I say "seem to be gone" because after the BCM was replaced the car just sat for a while due to health issues that kept it from being used. I've been driving it for the past week and so far so good. Good luck.
    Hope that your health issues have been resolved, kittydog, and that the fix with your G6 did the trick!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • maddog0324maddog0324 Member Posts: 55
    My 2008 G6 now has 84,000 miles. The passenger side rear door lock will electrically lock or unlock about 10% of the time. The driver side rear door lock might electrically operate about 1% of the time. I tested the door lock actuator circuits from the BCM connector with a 12vdc 7aH battery. The driver and passenger front lock actuators operate perfectly with this battery. The rear door lock actuators do not operate. The solonoids for these actuators should perform as the front actuators.

This model was manufactured with sub-standard components. I have filed a safety complaint with The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Here is their link:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I urge everyone with a similar concern to file a complaint.

I will not be taking this vehicle to a GM dealer for repairs. I'll either fix it myself or have my local mechanic repair it. :lemon:
  • nt1078nt1078 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    My 2006 G6 has so far shown little electrical troubles except the right (passenger) headlight. Wiring connector melted as with many of the other posts I've read and caused the light to fail. Don't waste your time and money on bulbs. Check the connector first, chances are it has melted. To remedy mine (for a while) I bypassed the factory harness plug and installed spade type connectors so I can still unplug the headlight from the harness. Worked well for a while now it has and issue with both passenger headlights coming on dim in low beam then going out all together when you put the hi-beams on. Then for added flavor the right headlights flash back and forth like a rail road crossing when you put the right turn signal on. WTF, GM? What did you do with all that bail out money? Google it, GM folks and look at all the complaints, do the right thing and issue a recall before someone really gets hurt from your cheapening out on sub quality parts.
    I've encountered the melted connector for the driver side low beam, smelled it as soon as I opened the access cover. I was able to remedy it by replacing the entire harness. The passenger headlamp assembly caught some road debris a few weeks earlier. I replaced the headlamp assembly, (don't order from the stealership, I got mine from O'Reilly Auto), and I still had the dead assembly's harness. You can't buy a headlamp harness as a stand-alone item. You have to replace the headlamp assembly. You can order replacement connectors from any auto parts store that sells Dorman products. The low beam connectors fail because those lamps are always on due to Daytime Running Light and normal headlight operation.
    Door locks are not considered a safety item, you have manual locks and door key. GM will not fix out of warranty.

What you are posting about is reliability, not safety.
    Don't expect GM to come to the table with anything. I had a problem that I finally had to take to different GM dealer to get fixed. I asked GM to pick up the tab as it was a problem since day one. Their reply was a coupon towards a new car which I don't need. The best part of the conversation was when I told the GM rep that both of my GM cars only had 50K on them his response was they were out of warranty so you better get rid of them.
    Per the G6 Owners Manual:

Unlocked doors can be dangerous.
    and
    Your vehicle is programmed at the factory to lock all
    doors automatically when the following are met:
    • All doors are closed.
    • The ignition is on.
    • The shift lever is moved out of PARK (P) for
    vehicles with an automatic transmission.
    This feature cannot be disabled.

So, if something that contributes to vehicle occupant safety does not operate as designed, it is a safety issue.
    You have manual locks, electric just makes it easier. It's just a guard against lazy people.

You have DRL, if not working, not a safety item.

Canada mandates DRL, US does not. US does not mandate that doors be locked when moving, that would be big brother.
    So, what you're really saying is that it's OK that connectors melt and electric door locks don't work on a vehicle that's not even 5 years old?
    What I am saying is, you won't get them fixed for free unless you have extended warranty.

The locks have been a known poor reliability, not just G6, other GM models, no recall that I have ever seen. The melted connectors go back to first Z body 04 Malibu, which is the same Z body design as G6.

A lot of GM design problems are not covered out of warranty, the infamous intake manifold coolant leak on GM V6 engines were never covered that I know of.

I have read at times if you had all your work done at the same dealer, they may at there discretion, give a customer satisfaction repair, not common though.
  • gretchen11gretchen11 Member Posts: 2
    HELP MY CAR IS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS. HAVE HAD IT TO THE DEALER SHIP AT LEAST 6 TIMES. THEY CANNOT GET IT FIXED??
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning gretchen11,

We're sorry to hear that you've not been able to get your electrical concerns with your vehicle resolved at your dealership. If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership for you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a brief recap of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • jess41jess41 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    After reading all of the problems, I am very sorry I didn't research fully before I purchased my g6. My headlights don't work, my back passenger door does not unlock, my battery went out, I've had to replace fuses and hoses and cracked water tanks, all on my 2009. This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. And with person after person complaining of the same issues, you'd think they'd recall them and save their "valued customers" some money, but no. It doesn't matter that we make our car payments on time, paid it in full, and keeps their shops filled to the brim with repairs that aren't covered. I am diasppointed in GM, and will never, ever buy a car from them again. Thanks a bunch.
    jess41,

Do you have a plan of action to getting these concerns addressed? Let us know if we can look into anything further with you - we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • gretchen11gretchen11 Member Posts: 2
    Well I am very disappointed in the customer service of pontiac!!! My car was brought to the dealer every time I have had problems which might I add was 6 times in 1 year and I had bought the extended warranty for my car and none of the times could they get it fixed. My extended warranty expired at 75,000 miles and I brought my car back with 77,00 miles on it. Hmm once again they had to put a body control modular in I had to pay over 400.00 for it even though I had brought it there well in my extended warranty time frame and they could not pinpoint the problem because it was electrical and did not always do it when I brought it there. BS . Pontiac customer service has jacked me around for weeks because I thought they should pay for these repairs. Well after numerous phone calls of the same BS they tell me tonight they are not going to pay for it!! NEVER buy a PONTIAC G6 and I will never buy another GM product!
  • jimvuejimvue Member Posts: 1
    My wifes 2010 g6 has the same issue. Is there a recall out?
    Hi JimVue

I apologize for your frustrating issue. I would like to assist you. You can email me your name, VIN and current mileage and I can look to see if any recalls apply to your vehicle. Please email me at socialmedia@gm.com. Also include this forum and a description of the issue. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jackie
    Chevrolet Customer Care
  • pdhuber1pdhuber1 Member Posts: 1
    I've been having ongoing electrical "gremlins" with my 2009 G6....very frustrating! Started with pax-side door lock not working (had that replaced) for $280...then water leaking from somewhere and soaking the pax-side floor and carpet...then water leaking right above the center console ( that was fixed after spending $200 for the water and electrical diagnostic)....the electrical diag. was inconclusive. But still having issues with the dome light staying on, the radio staying on....neither key fob works....after having the batteries replaced several times.....did a little service-dance with GM Customer Service for a bout a week, reported all these problems, which ultimately led no where....they wouldn't help....and now last night, my daughter says the car won't start....I have AAA come out this morning, give me a jump, and it starts up ok...they test the battery....it's fine. Despite all the problems, I still like the car, but I'm afraid I'll be dealing with this crap until the car is done.
  • jfogjfog Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    After just buying my 2009 g6 I had a problem where I parked it one day after work the next morning my daughter had a dr appointment and it wouldn't start, nothing plugged in or no lights left on after replacing battery nothing till 6 days ago, when my door ajar light came on no doors open. now I am also having problems with interior lights staying on and still door ajar light on plus it takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes for my interior light to shut off after I lock my car, plus car alarm goes off randomly, lights come on and off randomly, and now today my seat beat light doesn't come on but when it sounds the interior lights come on and go off when the seat belt sound quits. im so lost when it could be.
  • lisalislisalis Member Posts: 2
    Well i hav a 09 g6 my headlight stopped working had sumone fix them an now my
    Car dont start had it towed 3 times the dealership didnt want to touch
    It an they were very very rude ....the lost my remote
    Had to buy another battary cuz they left the key ingnition an it drained it
    They made me feel lik i was a nobody ..wouodnt offer to jump it so i could
    Look for the the alarm...i calledan called the finally called back ...i said to
    The person i wascummin up there..an he said why ?why are you goin to do that
    I said i need my alarm ..an the response was i told you its not here......not cool
    There is much more a lot more....i paid 2 people 2 diffrent times to [non-permissible content removed] out o
    Were the car has been sence oct 30.2013.to tell me its its lost communication an today
    P0690 ignition relay feed back high..dnt no what im goin to do
  • lisalislisalis Member Posts: 2
    Well i hav a 09 g6 my headlight stopped working had sumone fix them an now my
    Car dont start had it towed 3 times the dealership didnt want to touch
    It an they were very very rude ....the lost my remote
    Had to buy another battary cuz they left the key ingnition an it drained it
    They made me feel lik i was a nobody ..wouodnt offer to jump it so i could
    Look for the the alarm...i calledan called the finally called back ...i said to
    The person i wascummin up there..an he said why ?why are you goin to do that
    I said i need my alarm ..an the response was i told you its not here......not cool
    There is much more a lot more....i paid 2 people 2 diffrent times to [non-permissible content removed] out o
    Were the car has been sence oct 30.2013.to tell me its its lost communication an today
    P0690 ignition relay feed back high..dnt no what im goin to do