Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Body and Bed Problems

cawwiecawwie Member Posts: 15
I have a brand new '07 Toyota Pre Runner access cab. The passenger side access door inadvertantly gets stuck and will not open. The real problem is it doesn't happen all the time. I have had it in three times for this problem. The first time, they lubed it because it was working fine for them. The second time they ordered a new lever, but let me know it could be the linkage in the door. Until it duplicates the problem, I am screwed. The third time, they replaced the lever...but alas it's stuck again. When it does lock up, if you press the door latch lever in...it will temporarily work again. There is no rhyme or reason to this. I am so frustrated. The service rep at my dealer is very gracious, and instructed me to just show up when he's there and it's stuck. The problem is everytime I go, and it was stuck...I get there and it's fine. UGH!!!!

I love my new truck, but geez.

Any suggestions??? Anyone have the same issue?

Comments

• franckforetfranckforet Member Posts: 6
    I've had this same problem. I've been doing lots of off roading with tis truck since I work in the bush...... Same thing for me, they couldn't reproduce the problem so they would just lube it without success.....

After 3-4 times complaining, the mecanic took off the plastic cover and with a pair of pliers (YESSSS very simple solution!!!!) he unfolded a little bit the metal pusher thats triggers the lower mecanism that locks the door. This metal part is shaped like an elbow with a 90 degrees angle and I would say that he has added a few more degrees to it. Its a very small adjustment that actually reduces slop in the lower mecanism. I was there and saw him doing it but have no picture to give you..... Hopfully it will help. Give us some news! :)
  • cawwiecawwie Member Posts: 15
    The next time I go in to the dealer...I will definitely tell them about it...Thanks sooo much!!!
    Thanks for the suggestion frankforet. I did take in a copy of the solution that worked for you...but unfortunately mine is still sticking. The service manager told me that intermitten problems are the hardest to solve. I am hopeful that they will figure it out. I feel so frustrated and annoyed that I have a brand new truck with a problem like this.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please write.

Thanks,
    Carrie
    I have had my truck in several times for the access door problem. Today I took it in again, and luckily it was stuck so they could see it!!! ( I was starting to feel like the crazy lady who sees things that aren't there. Almost every time I brought my truck in it wouldn't duplicate the problem.) The service manager was able to see it for himself. The last time it was in, the shop foreman worked on it...so this time they whisked it right to him again. When he "fixed it" before there was no way to check it because it's an intermittent problem. It's stuck, then it's fine...stuck, then fine. No rhyme or reason. Very frustrating.

Anyway, they are ordering some new linkage for my door...FINALLY. My truck only has 3000 miles on it. It hasn't even had it's first oil change!!!

Other than this problem, I would say I am happy with my truck. Some of the other issues with newer Tacomas I can live with. I do have the so-called "axle wrap" problem where you can be sitting at a stop and it feels as if you have been bumped in the rear. (The first time it happened I was in the drive-thru at Starbucks and I thought someone hit me.)
    I also had trouble getting used to the loud start up, it's kind of unsettling. Overall, buying any new car/truck is the luck of the draw...I believe. I have read many forums on many different brands of car, and they all have problems. My last vehicle was a '98 Dodge Ram, and I babied it since it was new. I still ended up pouring money into it. Even after reading some of the posts on here, and going through my annoying problem with the new truck...I am still hopeful and betting on Toyota's reputation. I am not sorry I bought my Tacoma. ;)
    I brought my truck in and they replaced the door latch/handle on the inside. I thought they were replacing linkage in the door, but they ordered a new latch. The problem is gone!!!! I hope this helps someone else. I am so glad it's finally fixed!!! :shades: ;)
  • ff1825ff1825 Member Posts: 7
    I am considering a 2007 Tacome 2wd Access Cab and was wondering if Toyota has really solved the premature rust problem that afflicted earlier model pickups.

In other words, how will the tacoma stand up to a salty new England winter?
  • deepdiverdeepdiver Member Posts: 1
    I only have 1400 hwy miles on my new 2007 taco and it ranges from 18.1 to 18.4. First 500 miles, max speed 60 mph, then max 70mph with cruise control and shifting as close as possible to manual suggested speeds for "Cruise" vs "Acceleration" shift speeds. I only use Preminum fuel in Texas...91-93 RON Shell or Exxon. I am in my break in period so im gentle on it and shifting as the manual recommends. I did deviate on shift speeds at 1000 miles and saw an improvement is MPG. I shifted at 3000 RPM vs the recommended speeds. I desire to know what the best MPG I can expect and best shift speed/RPM to achieve this. My 2nd Toyota truck is now 19 years old, a 1988 4x4 sr5 5 spd still getting 24 mpg hwy/21 city for the past 19 years. I kept it and continue driving it also.
  • texhansontexhanson Member Posts: 3
    I've got a roof leak on my 05 Tacoma after heavy rains. It seems to be coming from the garage door control compartment. Any idea where this is coming from or similar complaints? Thanks for ny help.
  • dudleydudley Member Posts: 9
    There was soem talk about this and the dealer knows what to do -- I had the same problem as well as others on my 05
  • marcusxmarcusx Member Posts: 22
    what thread have you been following this issue on? i personally haven't heard anything about it in recent year models.

--
    Marcus
    TacomaWorld.com
  • 007taco007taco Member Posts: 2
    Hey all. Maybe someone can help. I purchased a 2007 Tacoma regular cab 4x4. I want to take my custom chopper down to the smokeout in a few days. I am just now reading that the tailgate bends and was not aware of that problem. I am also wondering how to secure the bike in the bed. With an expensive bike, those cleats have me worried. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  • 007taco007taco Member Posts: 2
  • martinjmprmartinjmpr Member Posts: 1
    Seems the simplest solution would be a trailer. Does your Taco have the tow package?
  • richard61richard61 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a new 2008 Toyota Tacoma from the dealership in Kennesaw, Georgia. We discussed our need with the salesman to transport a motorcycle in the bed and measured the bed with the salesman to make sure the bike would fit. We had to angle the bike in, but it would fit just fine with the tailgate down.

Once home, we tried to load our Kaw 1500 via a ramp to the tailgate, with a rider on the bike. As the front tire crossed the tailgate, we had tailgate failure as the inside of the gate bent inward.

We were informed this morning that Toyota classifies this as "an accident" and is not covered by warranty. The warranty person was unaware of service bulletins about this problem, but apparently the body shop was aware. Of course, we were NOT made aware of this issue, but now YOU are if you're smart enough to investigate this web-site prior to purchase (I wasn't).

Buyer beware!
  • ltmarltmar Member Posts: 45
    The Tacoma tailgate really is weak. I don't even stand in the center of mine. I think I have read elsewhere in this forum that the tailgate should be removed before loading a heavy item with a ramp. Since the composite bed isn't the best for securing a motorcycle, I think most probably use a trailer instead of hassling with removing the tailgate.
  • richard61richard61 Member Posts: 2
  • glen_hglen_h Member Posts: 11
    Yes the 2005+ tailgates are weak - I believe they are rated for a max load of 200 pounds, although Toyota doesn't tell you this and you can't find the info in the manual.

There was a lot of discussion about this in the Tacoma 2005+ forum shortly after the '05 Tacos came out (I did a lot of research in there before I bought my '05). Several posters in that forum bent their tailgates hauling snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, cycles, etc.

It would be nice if Toyota would mention the load limit somewhere before you find out the hard way.
  • airembolismairembolism Member Posts: 11
    on my 2000 the factory missed installing 1/2 of the moon roof gasket, the headliner would get wet if i even washed it... the dealer fixed it, i had to take it to 3 different ones first.
  • texhansontexhanson Member Posts: 3
  • blazingtacoblazingtaco Member Posts: 3
    :mad: I live in New Hampshire and bought a new 2005 Quad Cab Tacoma in September 2005. My truck has only seen two very mild winters worth of salted road conditions. I wash the under body of my truck frequently. This spring I noticed that surface rust is breaking out all over my truck’s frame, at the weld joints, on the flat surfaces of the frame and anywhere something is bolted to the frame. I have talked to the service department at Toyota of Nashua, NH where I bought the truck and they state that no other customers have brought this problem to their attention as yet. I am a mechanical engineer and I design and work with metals, undercoating and painted finishes all the time. Based on my experience, it is my opinion that a properly paint two-year-old truck frame should not have this much rust breaking through the paint on the frame as mine does. All Toyota advertisements I have always seen, stress the durability and extremely long service life expectancy of their vehicles. The entire reason I bought my Toyota was based on their long-standing track record of high quality and customer satisfaction. Working with the dealership we escalated this situation to the New England District Service & Parts Manager trying to get Toyota to repair the rust break through problem. I presented the idea that there may be a Toyota design problem with the undercoat and paint system specified for the 2005 Tacomas and or that the coating materials were not applied correctly to my specific truck. The New England District Service & Parts Manager is basically stating that all frames start to rust eventually and that Toyota has no obligation to repair the frame rust even thought the truck is only two years old. My local dealership is now saying this problem is in the hands of New England District Service & Parts Manager and if I am not satisfied with their response I may have to go through the arbitration process with corporate Toyota USA to get this rust problem addressed and corrected. Is anyone else experiencing similar frame rust problems with their 2004 or new Tacoma’s?
    I live in New Hampshire and bought a new 2005 Quad Cab Tacoma in September 2005. My truck has only seen two very mild winters worth of salted road conditions. I wash the under body of my truck frequently. This spring I noticed that surface rust is breaking out all over my truck’s frame, at the weld joints, on the flat surfaces of the frame and anywhere something is bolted to the frame. I have talked to the service department at Toyota of Nashua, NH where I bought the truck and they state that no other customers have brought this problem to their attention as yet. I am a mechanical engineer and I design and work with metals, undercoating and painted finishes all the time. Based on my experience, it is my opinion that a properly paint two-year-old truck frame should not have this much rust breaking through the paint on the frame as mine does. All Toyota advertisements I have always seen, stress the durability and extremely long service life expectancy of their vehicles. The entire reason I bought my Toyota was based on their long-standing track record of high quality and customer satisfaction. Working with the dealership we escalated this situation to the New England District Service & Parts Manager trying to get Toyota to repair the rust break through problem. I presented the idea that there may be a Toyota design problem with the undercoat and paint system specified for the 2005 Tacomas and or that the coating materials were not applied correctly to my specific truck. The New England District Service & Parts Manager is basically stating that all frames start to rust eventually and that Toyota has no obligation to repair the frame rust even thought the truck is only two years old. My local dealership is now saying this problem is in the hands of New England District Service & Parts Manager and if I am not satisfied with their response I may have to go through the arbitration process with corporate Toyota USA to get this rust problem addressed and corrected. Is anyone else experiencing similar frame rust problems with their 2004 or new Tacoma’s?
  • rss3rss3 Member Posts: 1
    If you haven't already seen it.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef10a6c

My tacoma frame (1997) is seriously if not dangerously corroded.
  • ff1825ff1825 Member Posts: 7
  • coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    I live in WV and have a 2005 Tacoma access cab. My frame has a lot of rust on it also. The dealer says that frames rust. I dont think they should rust this quickly.
  • tractiveefforttractiveeffort Member Posts: 1
    I have had trucks with a lot of surface rust on the frame that never caused a problem. My '90 F150 was starting to rust right off the lot, and I kept it for 17 Yrs.
    That was an old school "C" section frame, not a boxed frame. On my '07 Tacoma I do see that paint adhesion on the welds is poor, possibly because of insufficient cleaning to remove all welding flux.

I am more concerned about internal water traps. I noticed that the engine mount brackets (part welded to frame rails) for my 4-Cyl engine will hold water, and are showing some rust in the pocket. There are stamped holes, but they are not at the lowest point, so it never drains completely!

Is this peculiar to the 4-Cyl mounts, or is it the same on the V6? Maybe it's just easier to see with the 4-Cyl engine. I would like to drill some proper drain holes, but access from underneath is not easy on the 4X4 due to the front half-shafts. Any ideas? It sounds like there's no point in looking to Toyota for a solution.
  • visch1visch1 Member Posts: 6
    This is a company that talks about quality? Having a frame rusted a few years after manufacture to me is CRAP for quality. My ’97 extended cab in good shape is worthless except for parts! Watch out for the claims of quality, they’re like lawyers, when they’re lips are moving you know they’re lying! Quality does not turn into junk in a few years. Spread the word! This from a ex customer of 26 years.
  • brianmabrianma Member Posts: 17
    After reading the comments on here on frame rust, I took a long hard look at the frame on the demo 2008 Tacoma Crew Cab at my dealer (Ira). It has only been a demo since October 2007, but in this snowy, wet winter it already has lots of surface rust at the frame welds and box intersections. I showed this to the service tech and he said the rust alone wouldn't cause any problems as the steel there is thick enough to carry the truck weight with loss of half of the thickness due to rust or damage. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but it seemed to make sense. When I drove the demo hard and felt the driveline binding on turns, I began to doubt that the Tacoma would be a long-life vehicle. That and the very poor fuel mileage for a wel lbroken in truck on a 250 mile extended test loop of 50/50 city and highway had me dropping the Tacoma from my truck list. Just like those false Toyota ads they had to pull off the air that claimed that 90% of Camry's since 1991 arestill on the road and 80% of Corollas since 1988 are too, I'm beginning to think that Toyota now excels in marketing and not designing and building vehicles.
  • hartlbbhartlbb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Tacoma where the door locks (both of them) have stopped working. I can unlock and lock from the inside, but cannot do it with the key. The key will turn slightly in the lock, but not all of the way to unlock the doors. These are not automatic locks.
  • otto8otto8 Member Posts: 116
  • dirtbiker1dirtbiker1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 tacoma 2 weeks ago. I was very clear with the sales person that I only needed the truck for transporting dirt bikes. The sales person didn't mention that the bed was composite only, not a bed liner over metal, until I was ready to drive the truck off the lot, and I mentioned I'd probably have front rings put in to tie down a bike, because I wasn't crazy about the placement of the cleats. Then I found out later (after the missing owner's manual was mailed to me) that you aren't supposed to use tie downs on the cleats at any more than 45 degrees, as stated on page 267 of the owner's manual. The dealer is saying it is ok to use the cleats at more than 45 degress, but Toyota corporate is saying don't. When tying down dirt bikes, especially two, the tie downs are at more like 80 degrees. Toyota is advertising in their brochure and website with dirt bikes (tie downs at about 80 degrees). Corporate is saying you have to install d-rings, and that is how the bikes are secured in the brochure and website. The problem is, there is no metal to attach the d-rings, and no one disclosed that you had to retrofit the truck to secure dirt bikes.

Has anyone had this issue? How are you securing your dirt bikes?

HELP!
  • taco_runnertaco_runner Member Posts: 1
    Hey back. If you really want to haul your bike, save yourself the aggrevation and get a trailer. The tailgates are as stated i loaded my 06 kawi 1500 and to my dismay the dadgum thing almost folded in half. now I'm looking for a new tailgate or aftermarket shell to put the hardware on and get painted. I have been pretty satisfied with this truck until this fiasco. So again buy a trailer and forget about putting the bike in the back of the Taco.
  • dirtbiker1dirtbiker1 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to let you and others know that when I found out that the Tacoma bed was plastic (composite) I went back to the dealer and asked them to take it back...because I wasn't able to use the truck the way it was being advertized, ie. to tie down two dirt bikes. The owner's manual has a section that disallows this due to the angle of the tie downs, and the weight that they need to hold. They refused to take it back or to retrofit it, and were quite arrogant about it. I kept at it, and also worked with Corporate Toyota, the Better Business Bureau, and the Arizona Attorney General's office, and a newspaper. Eventually, they took it back, and gave me my money back. It only had 500 miles on it. I garaged it after I found out the owner's manual was in conflict with the advertizing (brochures and commercials - false advertizing). I bought a Chevy full size.
  • edmcclellandedmcclelland Member Posts: 2
    After carrying some pea gravel in my 2009 taco, I cannot drop the tailgate. The right latch is stuck. I feel really pissy about this as I think Toyota should produce a truck one can use as a truck. What the hey! Anyone have any idea how I can release the right latch? I removed the black plastic stuff already, but no action works on the latch activation.

thx in advance...
  • spartantoyotaspartantoyota Member Posts: 2
    Anyone else ever have this happen?

My 1996 Tacoma has a recall out for rust corrosion issues. I had already replaced pretty much everything underneath, from the muffler (2x) to the brake cords, radiator, and more, owing to rust issues. Yet somehow it always passed the recall inspections, including its last one just last October (the warranty was only until last year)

On Friday, however, I had a new issue- the GAS TANK actually FELL OFF the vehicle, WHILE I WAS DRIVING! It literally just fell off, as the straps and pipes had all been rusted out to the point where they could no longer manage its weight. In some ways, this might have been a blessing in disguise. Had this happened on the highway, this might have been a different story. However, I can't believe that Toyota missed this during their last inspection.

I called Toyota today, and they have nothing to say on the matter. For those of you with old Tacomas, however, be careful.
  • spartantoyotaspartantoyota Member Posts: 2
  • mmcd1mmcd1 Member Posts: 1
    Toyota Canada has denied any payout as the 15 yr program has ended. I had the truck in for the recall in April 2010 and now the truck is dangerous to drive and unsalable. Also my youngest daughter had been driving the truck to Toronto for school, which has obviously put her some peril with a faulty frame.

I spoke with a Customer service rep named Steven ID# 5001, who told me that it has been decided and there is nothing that anyone can do. He would not give me a name or number of anyone above him to speak with regarding the decision. He told me to contact the service manager at Jackson Toyota, which I did. Dave sounded surprised by Toyota Canada's answer to me, but did not say much about the decision other than he could make a call on the dealership line, which he is unable to give out to the public.

I informed Dave and Steven, that I will go as far as I need to with this issue. As a Toyota fan for 30 years, to say that this has diminished Toyota's standing is an understatement. I have more than one Toyota in my driveway and would have been replacing the truck with another Toyota. I am not sure that Toyota customer service is all it should be and has always shown itself to be in the media. How will Toyota look in the court of Public Opinion if this becomes a larger issue?

I will take this to the public domain as well as the courts! I will not allow Toyota Canada to renege on a recall for manufacturing defect that was dealt with within their time limits. The frame was undercoated after the inspection in April 2010 and was not touched in any way until this month.

Obviously this is as a direct result of the recall defect, which was completely out of my control; Regardless of time passing. The 15 yr limit was adhered to but I have no knowledge of the actual result of the testing in April 2010. For all I know it actually failed or at best was a marginal pass.

Please pass this along to any interested party above the regular customer service representatives. I will not be silent, nor will I go away until I have satisfaction either through the courts or Toyota Canada.

Sent today May 22, 2013 I will post any reply from Toyota.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Keep in mind this is NOT a recall by Toyota or any government safety agency. This is a "customer satisfaction program" which Toyota can revise or cancel at any time.

Stop by the Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem discussion where many other Tacoma owners in the same situation have posted.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host