Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Really Quick and Simple Questions

kayak3kayak3 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Jeep
I've been driving a 2003 Jeep Liberty for the past couple (very cold) weeks in the Northeast. I have filled the washer fluid reservoir with -25 degree washer fluid but find it frozen in the morning. I'm puzzled. Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Comments

• caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    You have to evacuate the summer fluid first, especially through the long tube going to the rear window nozzle. You don't need to throw away the fluid you evacuate: collect and mix it with 30% isopropyl alcohol (or rubbing alcohol).
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    kayak3: Walmart sells the Ice Free windshield was for under $3.00, even is you drain the tank by pushing the button (it matake 4 min) until the fluid stops, and put in the new fluid, what have you lost? Heck at least it won't freez up anymore.

farout
    Farout, winter fluid contains water + detergent + alcohol. When we wash the windshield in cold weather there is sometimes a very thin film of ice that forms on the windshield and then dissipates rapidly. This film warns you that you don't have enough alcohol. Why would you throw away 2/3rds of the proper mixture?
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    caribou1: Most assuredly just flushing the lines until the blue fluid turns to the yellow is a waste of windshiled wash fluid. However it is a way for someone who just can't understand how to get the hoces off and drain it into a container. As far as I am concerned, with regular WalMart windshiled wash fluid is $ .98 a gallon, and it is not that much to dump if your time means much, or you are handicaped and that's the only way to get it done. I do think your idea is a better one.

Farout
    Farout, everyday I'm bluffed by what my colleagues from eastern countries do to save money while I don't think anymore because I've been over fed for too long!
    I buy lots of winter wash fluid (at the end of the season) and use it all year round because it gets rid of insects and tar without struggle. I'm not any better ;)
  • kayak3kayak3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses to my question re. the washer fluid. At the risk of sounding like an idiot (or worse yet, a "girl")I'll have to read the manual to find out how to drain the line. Unfortunately, the weather has just turned much warmer here in NYS so, won't know if it passes the freeze test for awhile.
This discussion has been closed.