Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Starting problems

Comments

• nighthawk5556nighthawk5556 Member Posts: 6
    Getting new starter tomorrow..........if we get the GM tester and it proves to be a weak spark, then what?
  • nighthawk5556nighthawk5556 Member Posts: 6
    Boosting the truck was our only resort, as we didn't have a charger. Still didn't change anything. It does the same thing now as it did when it wouldn't crank. I'm sure that GM tool is the same as the spark tester I got. Just goes 'in-line'. Don't know how well it checks it as far as 'color-coded' goes.......but it happened to be light blue. May just be the color of the bulb though, lol. Any spark will fire with gas and air both present though, right? Weak spark would just make it run crappy......or so it seems. New starter still not in.......or haven't heard yet. :lemon:
  • woodnrustwoodnrust Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1987 s10 2.8L front wheel, 150,000 miles, just replaced o2 sensor, pcv valve, air filter, oil, and oil filter. inspected gas pump and lines, the vaccume lines, cleaned carburetor, (with carb cleaner spray) i replaced the plugs cables and distributor cap last year, used high end stuff, inspected it all.

i have to crank the engine over three times to start it, or one good 10-15 sec one to start it. it fires during the crank over.
    when this problem started occurring the check engine light intermediately comes on, at the same time the light is on the truck runs ruff, mostly this happens in the morning. so when the light is on it runs ruff when no light, it runs good, and the hole time its takes 3 good cranks to start.????????????
    any help much appreciated...
  • tech3363tech3363 Member Posts: 2
    manual fuel pump or electric???
  • cruzer23cruzer23 Member Posts: 4
    Recently installed new fuel pump assy because old went bad. Ran great for 1 week then all of a sudden loss of power badly going up a hill, running at about 20 percent power. Puttered it home and changed fuel filter and it then ran at approx 60 percent power. Two days later it will not start, cranks hard and will fire with starting fluid for a couple seconds. Fuel flowing thru filter (disconnected engine side/soaked driveway nicely) and blew compressed air thru supply line to disconnected end at fuel meter block without prob. Still no start, ANY ideas???? Thanks
  • dbruckerdbrucker Member Posts: 3
    My s-10 would run after using starter fluid but would not fire without it. Replaced the TPS and it runs and starts fine.

If the TPS is bad it won't signal the ECM that it needs full as it is telling it that it isnot starting.

I bought my TPS at Advanced Auto for about $30.

Any repair shop should be able to hook up a computer to tell you what degree opening it is showing at idle which will tell you what is up.

Good luck
    Thanks for the advice dbrucker I will give that a shot.
    Tested theTPS with a meter and it met the specs in my repair manual. I got a cheap fuel pressure guage and it shows 16 pounds, anybody know what range it should be in? Thanks
  • cphillips1cphillips1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 2.2L s10 thats having similar problems. As soon as I turn the key to start it, everything dies. Anything that draws alot of current does the same thing. If I turn on the lights it happens. If I put my foot on the brakes it happens. Afterwards the power slowly comes back. I had my battery check and it was good. Several days later, I put the battery back in. It started right up 8 - 10 times. I did this about 2-3 days. On the fourth day, when I went to drive it. Boom, it started all over again. Did you ever find out the real problem to this issue? Give me a call at 706 527-8740. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you. I really do need this truck!
    The truck will not start. When I try to start it, I lose all power. Afterwards, the power slowly comes back. I've had the battery checked and it checked out fine. If anyone has any suggestions, I have open ears. I really need this truck!
    Check with the dealer. With the miles being as low as they are, it should be still covered under your factory warranty. Unless it has timed out.
  • jes87gmcjes87gmc Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 87 GMC S-15 2.8L 4X4 THAT WILL NOT START AFTER SITTING OVER NIGHT. IT WILL START AFTER I PUT STARTER FLUID IN AND FOR THE REST OF THE DAY IT STARTS. I HAVE REPALCED THE SPARK PLUGS, FUEL FILTER, HAS A NEW BATTERY, AND NEW ALTERNATOR. RUNS A LITTLE RUFF ONCE WARMED UP BUT NOT BAD. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT?
  • magnum1bmagnum1b Member Posts: 4
    We have a 99 S-10. My wife drove home from work yesterday and when I went to take it to get gas for her it wouldn't start. I bought an OBD-II reader and I get a P0420 code indicating the catalytic converter is not working as it should. I replaced the cat about three months ago (first of April) with a new unit I bought online. We have had no problems with it running since and it passed state emissions inspection fine after installing the new Cat. Could a bad O2 sensor cause the P0420 code as I did not replace it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
    J in Atlanta
  • timothys1timothys1 Member Posts: 2
    Situation, while driving the security light will come on, the fuel gauge will move to empty and the battery light will come on. This occurs randomly. after a while the gas gauge and battery light will go back to normal, but the security light will stay on for a while then go off.

Also it will not start all the time, gmc nor mechanic cannot determine why. Last check there where no error codes but they thought it was a corroded ground cable. That did not correct the problem. 4 years and no one can help.

Any Suggestions!!!!
    I have a 99 S10 with the 2.2 L. I think it's jumped timing. The wife drove it home Monday running fine. I went to get gas and it fired once and then wouldn't start. It cranked fine. It has ignition, fuel to the rail and all the normal things I would try. When I tried a little ether into the throttle body it backfired flames. I can also feel back pressure pulses when I crank it coming from the throttle body. I know next to nothing about these engines but am an A&P Mechanic and have worked many other engines in my time. I have a Manual (Haynes I think). In trying to remove the fan to get to the timing chain I am stumped as to how to get the bug nut loose which holds the fan and fan clutch. Looks like I need about a 1 7/16 open end or 18" Crescent wrench and an adjustable pin spanner to hold the pulley from turning. If anyone has an idea of something I should check before digging further into the engine I would greatly appreciate any help. I bought a code reader and it gave me a P0420 but I put a new cat on it in April 2008. I removed it to see it I could see anything and other than the O2 sensor possibly being bad I see nothing wrong. The manual says the engine runs open loop till the O2 hits 600 degrees so that shouldn't cause it to not start at all.

Help!
    Jack Ferguson
    Atlanta, GA
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    I use a hammer and punch or chisel, it is right hand thread. Or go the big wrench and hammer, I don't.
    I found that there's a special tool J41240 which has a crowfoot adapter for a 1/2" breaker bar for the nut and a pin spanner to hold the pulley. It's available for check out from Advance or Autozone Auto Parts.
    I'm too cheap to buy a tool I don't need.
    I was able to loosen it with a long drift punch and a hammer. Torgueing it properly would be difficult that way though. I did rent a tool (no cost if you being it back in good condition) from NAPA to retourque it.
  • usmctanker1usmctanker1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks, My 1991 S10 will not start. When I turn the ignition switch to start the vehicle, the engine does not turn over. Dashboard lights come on, but nothing else. This problem started a couple of weeks ago, but I would turn the key back all the way and retry, and then the engine would start. The problem has got progressively worse (increased frequency) until no matter how many times I turn the ignition switch, the engine no longer turns over. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • 98sonoma2298sonoma22 Member Posts: 1
    REPLACE YOUR FUEL FILTER. I DID THE SAME THING AND IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO FIGURE IT OUT. WHEN YOU RUN IT OUT OF GAS YOU SUCK ALL THE CRAP IN THE BOTTOM OF YOUR TANK INTO THE LINE. THAT GOES INTO YOUR FILTER AND CLOGS IT UP SO YOUR TANK IS HALF FULL BUT YOU GET NO GAS TO THE RAILS. SEE IF THAT WORKS.

TOM
  • timothys1timothys1 Member Posts: 2
    See my situation would the fuel filter be the cause?
    Situation, while driving the security light will come on, the fuel gauge will move to empty and the battery light will come on. This occurs randomly. after a while the gas gauge and battery light will go back to normal, but the security light will stay on for a while then go off.

Also it will not start all the time, gmc nor mechanic cannot determine why. Last check there where no error codes but they thought it was a corroded ground cable. That did not correct the problem. 4 years and no one can help.
  • schuh8schuh8 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 S10 4 cylinder. 130,000 miles and burns almost no oil. On returning from a recent trip (3000 miles) The engine began misfireing terribly when cold.

When I start it after it has sat awhile, it runs incredibly rough - sounds like its hitting on 1 or 2 cylinders only - barely enough power to get out of the driveway. After limping along like this for a few hundred yards it begins to smooth out and after a mile or so - it runs perfectly with no stumbling or misfireing. If I stop and restart while its still warm - runs like a dream.

I was getting a "misfire on cylinder 2 code. I replaced the plugs and have not had another code, but still have the problem described above.

Thanks for any help y'all can offer
  • ksbastksbast Member Posts: 3
    I have same problem what did you do to fix this
    ksbast@shaw.ca
  • schuh8schuh8 Member Posts: 3
    For my problem - a change of plugwires cured it completely.

Bud
    hi there

done that did not work
    thank you for the reply
  • jetgirljetgirl Member Posts: 2
    My husbands truck has had many problems within the last month. First one to arise was that the digital gear selection display and odometer display just below the speedo went out. I later found out that the display does work when the key is in either the position right between LOCK and RUN or during cranking when the key is in the START position (the odometer is still functioning and acurate, just no display). Figured it would just be a nuisance. A week later, the fuel qty. gauge stopped working as well as the "low fuel" dummy light (my husband found that one out the hard way). Next day or so went the engine temp gauge. Then the stereo started cutting in and out, but that one has since stopped happening. Then today when my husband was on his way home from work, he said that the Air Condition stopped working. As he was driving down our street, he said that it was running really poorly and finally died just as he pulled into the driveway. Not sure how long afterward, but he tried to start it, and it started just fine. Drive about 2 feet, and then runs bad and quits. Then restarts just fine. I started messing around with it for a while, doing the ol' wiggle test with the ignition switch and key, the steering column itself, the tilt, turning left and right, pounding on various places on the dash, etc....wouldn't fail. Grabbed his key instead of mine to see if the "security" feature was killing fuel...nope. Then one more start, and it would barely run. Seemed to me as if the computer had no idea where the crank was and it was getting the spark and everything all wrong. I didn't try the throttle at all because it sounded like it may have been detonating a little...so I shut it down and it continued to try to run for almost 3 seconds after I turned the key off. Then I started it again immediately, and it started and ran perfect. I was able to duplicate this several times with perfectly good starts and runs inbetween. Hmmm, when it was running good, I sat there and listened to it, and a couple of times for a few seconds, I thought I may have heard a slight knock, then it would go away. After shutting it down I heard that infamous gurgling noise. Checked the coolant reservoir and it was empty. Filled it up and found that the radiator probably needs to be flushed (reservoir level did not go down, but up). Remember...no engine temp indication inside. I am at a complete loss. I don't know it this overheating problem is related to the starting problem, or the starting problem to the overheating problem, if we have a computer problem, if we have one problem leading to the rest of the problems or if we just have a whole family of gremlins living under the hood. Please HELP!!
  • jetgirljetgirl Member Posts: 2
    The security feature is meant to kill power to the fuel system if you try to start the engine without a valid key in the ignition (aka a theif jamming a screwdriver into your ignition). Had anyone tried to steal your truck before or maybe your key is really worn out? Check your owners manual, I think the system is called Passlock. You should be able to find it in the index. It says that you can reset it by turning the engine off, removing the key and then restarting. The light may remain on, but will reset itself and turn off after 10 min. The dealer may need to reprogram something. This might not be your problem, but hopefully it may steer you in the right direction. Good luck!
    1. be prepared to spend a lot of money
    2. the computer is sitting on a heat source with a heat sheild that reaaly dose not do the job
    3. Have a mechanic that is good with electrical and have him go over all of the electrical grounding
    4. you may have to replace the computer that is not cheap
    5. be prepared you may never solve the problem
    6. feul system may have to be replaced but this is coverd by GM
    7. ABS computer may have to be replace , this is covered by GM
    8. if your truck has more than 100,000 KM have a mechanic check the timing
    chain, the plastic guides inside the timing cover wear out at around the
    100,000 km mark part to replace only costs $70.00 but labour will kill you
    if you do not catch the bad guides in time it will cost you a cylinder head
    9. last but not least THIS IS THE WORST TRUCK THAT GM EBER BUILT

have fun
  • jessica20265jessica20265 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 chevrolet s-10 2.2vortek automatic and it will not start. it was runnin but just died help anyone> it was running made a thumping sound then died then would not restart
  • plaiddreamsplaiddreams Member Posts: 3
    I've been battling with an '89 S10 for four years -- sometimes it would start for long periods, then it would not start for long periods (no gas pump cycling up, and no injectors tho' a jumper would run the pump). I've been watching this blog all along and changing all sorts of things. Finally a mechanic friend of mine dropped in one day while the hood was up (again) cuz it hadn't been starting for several months ... he ran a jumper line from the positive battery lead to the small exposed junction box on the firewall next to the heater box -- the one the little trouble light under the hood connects to.
    Problem solved! For weeks now. Apparently it's a wire that comes up from a sensor at the oil pan (or starter?) that feeds power through the dash to the computer, and it commonly corrodes. He said easy to fix, but if I wanted to leave the jumper to put in a 60 or 80 amp fuse as charging circuit was involved.
    Does this help anybody? I know it's slim on detail, but it was a miracle for me.
  • lowrideinlowridein Member Posts: 5
    k so i have a 99 sonoma 4.3L v6 that wont start it was fine all day till i got back home and went to leave again and it wouldnt start i have full juice in the battery cause i tested it with a multi meter but when i turn the key to start all it does is click 1 time and wont kick over can anyone tell me what the prob might be kinda low on money right now so any help would be good thanks!
    anyone?? kinda need to get this fixed so i can go to work :confuse:
  • tomygtomyg Member Posts: 13
    Sounds like a starter.You may have to take it off to have it checked..Good luck.
    i would like to do that but its kinda hard to even get to it but while messin around with it yesterday i took the cover off the fuse box under the hood and the big square grey fuse marked starter clicks is that a bad thing or a good thing? could that maybe be why it wont start ? even tryed bangin the starter a lil and that didnt help
    You might try changing the fuse to see if that helps,but it sounds like a starter to me.
    it dont seem like the big grey fuses even come out! do you have to pull hard or something?
  • clublubclublub Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1998 s-10 with 195000mi. im having the same problem that so many other s-10 owners are having. the engine cranks but no start. it starts when it wants to. i checked fuel pressure. had pressure of 42. so i replaced fuel pump. now i have proper pressure of 62. truck ran great until i shut it off. same problem. no start. i got the truck started and sprayed motor with water. truck stoped runing. found arking at the coil. so i replaced coil, plugs, wires, distributor, and cap. also removed egr valve and cleaned. the truck started and ran great. got the truck home turned it off. tried re-starting after 15min. same problem, no start. the spider tray and injectors were replaced within the last year. last night i noticed that the head lights would turn off when the doesnt start. and stay on when it does. i dont know if this has anything to do with my problem or not. (truck has day time runing lights) PLEASE, any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU, Tim T Chicago IL
  • beckebecke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 chevy s10. The security light went on and now the truck won't turn over. There is no "chip" on the key. The service dept at the dealer said to turn it to the start position and leave it for 10 min and it might reset itself. My truck is stranded at work and there are no shops any where near to have it towed to. Any suggestions on how to get the truck going??? Help!!!!
    You might disconnecting the battery for at least a minute.That should reset everything.Be sure to tighten it pretty good when you reconnect.Let me know if that works.Good Luck. T.M.
  • clublubclublub Member Posts: 2
    check your lock cylinder. i had replaced a numerous of parts on mine, and it turned out to be a lock cylinder. turn your key half way just till the dash lights come on. then turn your key just enough so the engine engages. hope this helps.
  • jgamberellajgamberella Member Posts: 1
    I've had an 01 xtreme w/4.3 vortec for 2 days and it left me on the side of the road on the first. Ran fine then it died doing 50mph. Did not restart until next morning. Already changed coil and ignition module. Seem to have good fuel pressure. Checked all the relays and fuses, they test ok. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • pat_chevy15pat_chevy15 Member Posts: 3
    hi i got some problem here my truck was park for a wild and it didt start so i check the battery it was done so i change it still didt work it was missing gas so i put some its start it then couple days after i went to started again and now its not working is it the sensor, the plug, humidity... pump.. the motor turn but don't start i need to fix it soon before the snow need info thanks
    Sounds like the fuel pump to me.Put a pressure gage on the fuel line and try to start it.It should read 50 to 65 lbs of pressure.If that checks ok change the fuel filter.If it still wont start,I would use a timing light to make sure it hasnt jumped out of time.Good luck.
    pressure gage should read 50 to 65 lbs.30 lbs isn'nt enough.If that checks ok i would have an obd scanner hooked up to it to pin point the problem.
    yeah ok replaced the starter drive it 3 times everythings good. park it in the drive for about a hour or so come back out to drive it wont start AGAIN! starter is fine its cranking but i dont notice the fuel pump sound that i always did now why does that have to go on top of the starter is it maybe something else and not the pump please fill me in!!
  • plaiddreamsplaiddreams Member Posts: 3
    Watching this forum is almost as frustrating as trying to fix my S10 was. See message #133 those of you who are changing everything and still having your mystery problems. Most sound like a lot of what I was experiencing. It seems to me that rigging one simple jumper wire to check is cheap and easy, even if you have to look somewhere else for your year's feed to the computer. But nobody seems to have written about trying it -- worked for me is all I can say. My truck is still going strong ... all mysteries have disappeared. Maybe nobody writes about successes, maybe this hasn't worked for anyone else. Good luck.
    All you needed to do was remove the wire off the starter and clean and reinstall.
  • green0886green0886 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 1993 2.8L V6 S-10. This is a 2wd truck with 172000 on it and no problems till now. The problem I have is when I first crank it in the morning it idles like it has a huge cam in it. After the truck warms up it idles high for about the first 30 min of the trip then returns to regular idle with no other problems. I have read the check engine light code and it says "EGR Failure". The EGR has been removed cleaned and the bellow check for correct operation. Plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor button and throttle postioning sensor have been replaced with it the last 4 months.
    Any help or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.... :confuse:
  • bobpomeroybobpomeroy Member Posts: 7
    It won't start w/out a lot of pumping and retries. It seems like something is not telling it to inject fuel for starting. It is not flooding. Once it starts, its fine for the rest of the day until starting the first time the next day. It's a 2002 s10 v6, and a honey otherwise.