Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Infiniti M35

Comments

• klpeelklpeel Member Posts: 46
    I see in Infiniti's announcement of "major upgrades" of its M sedan a mention of "revised interior and exterior styling," including:

- Revised front and rear fascia, headlights, grille, rear decklid and taillight design, rear fender panels, new chrome accents
    - New wheel designs

Since I will be looking at the M45x, I am not in a position of trying to decide whether to get a deal on an '07 or wait for the '08, but I am still quite interested in any style changes. I generally like the look of the M (it doesn't knock me over, but it appears well designed and proportioned), except for the rear taillights. And by rear taillights, I mean in particular the (to me) jarring white gash of the turn signal lights. I would be thrilled if the aesthetics of the rear end were improved. Are there any pictures available yet of the revised design?
  • towermantowerman Member Posts: 12
    Sounds like the 08 is basically the same car as 07 and I would be inclined to get a deal on the 07 if you can find what you are looking for (might be harder than you think). ON the other hand, if the real-time traffic is very important to you, you might be interested in getting the 08 and probably paying an extra 2K for it. It comes down to when you need it and how picky you are about what you get.
  • klpeelklpeel Member Posts: 46
    No, the real-time traffic is unimportant to me, but I would prefer the 45x, which obviously is not available for '07. I just hope they improve the look of the taillights, as this is listed as one of the (presumably minor) "interior and exterior styling" revisions they will have for '08.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    I was at the dealer last week ... said the 08's will be essentially unchanged from the '06. Minor tweaks here and there but nothing substantive. IMO it would be dumb for them to take a 2 year old model and change it materially ... they're just STARTING to get an identity.

Bart :shades:
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    No transmission in the parts bin? They have a pretty good CVT in their "in house bin", and right "down the street" is Aisen, who makes a mighty fine six speed.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    150Mph: if you had read my post, you would have seen that I said that while Nissan/Infinti did not have their own six speed auto, those transmissions are available from other suppliers. Buying one from someone else could solve the problem until they build one of their own (or maybe something better). Lots of companies buy transmissions from other companies - in this market segment, BMW buying from a number of other suppliers is a good example. Re CVT: yes they have one, but for some reason over the past three years, have not chosen to put it in their M sedans.
    I read your posts. I am not arguing with you. I am just adding a little extra information.
  • valueboyvalueboy Member Posts: 7
    I'm an M owner. If I buy another Infiniti product (and I will) - new EX? trade up M45? - Why would I YER buy from a Canadian dealer when the 5% exchange difference becomes a 25% greed mark-up on a Japanese manufactured import?
    M35x US MSRP - $43,250
    M35x Canadian MSRP - $59,900
    Average F/X over the last 6 months ISN'T EVEN CLOSE TO FAIR PRICING.
    Go to Williamsville, or Buffalo, pay a few bucks for testing and papers to get the car legally back home, and you're done -saved $10K. (And I know some disguised Canada Nissan Sales poster will try to argue that there are 'model' (read:option) differences in the above list pricing - but come on guys - $10K???????). In fact, if you dig deeper, the Canadian dealers are probably trying to source their inventory from the US (it used to be the other way round, when the C$ was trading at 0.65 cents). In short - unless Nissan, Toyota and others get real quickly (to protect their bordertown Canadian dealers), I'm about to be a first-time customer in Buffalo - like thousands of other GTA folks who can afford $40 in gas to get there.

Valuebuyer
    Correction - USD M35x MSRP is $45,265, not $43,265. But at today's 1.05 exchange rate, (about 5%), that's still more that CAD $10K less than the bordertown retail sticker price (same model/year comparison)

Valueboy
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    The US version does not have daytime running lights, and there may be other (probably minor, but I don't know) differences. How easy that may be to overcome, you'd have to check into. Shouldn't be $10K Cn, though.
  • love2drive1love2drive1 Member Posts: 13
    Even with adding daytime running lights, I think it will be worth buying a 2008 M45x in Buffalo. The short drive from Toronto will be worth more than the $10K example above used for the M35x.
  • buddybradbuddybrad Member Posts: 36
    IMO you can keep your Daytime Running Lights. There are very few times I would want them on. In fact, on my '03 BMW I had the dealer turn them off. With the newer Bimmers you can turn them on/off yourself through the onboard computer.

I'm really interested in an M, probably the M35x and test drive one every year. I just can't warm up enough to it to "pull the trigger." The price is right, but it just doesn't all come together.
    You're missing the point, in Canada, they are required on a new car. There is no choice whether you want them or not. If he purchased a car in the USA, he'd have to bring it up to Canadian specs to register it. You'd have to do the same thing if you bought a car out of the country that wasn't already certified for US delivery even if the model was available in the US, the changeover could be a significant cost, depending on what was required. There may be more that is different between the Canadian and USA requirements of the car as well.
  • begebege Member Posts: 14
    Wow, That's pretty sad! I guess you don't understand and ultimetly realize that buying Lexus or BMW you pay a lot more for the name to begin with. Second, let's start with BMW- yes, it's a great handleling car, performance and involvement! But think of that- it's being more than 10 yrs. they haven't change the silly orange dashboard dials, interior is so poor, that a Saturn Aura is a much more luxurious in inside than any BMW! have you notice the cup holders that they have put in? Imagine your g/friend or wife riding in the passenger side drinking a hot drink and you are driving on a curvy road, trust me she will be a lot more pissed-off for the spilling of her drink in the Bimmer than the gas millage in the Infiniti. The battery is stored in the trunk. You get rear ended, good luck to you buddy! At the end the price premium that you will be paying it will make you regret your decision!
    Lexus....oh this wanna be! Of course you get a plush ride, great service and realibility,except on the GS series ( a lot of problems- body integrity, sounds system, ruttles). Honestly, if I am 80 yrs. old I would consider a Lexus and or Cadillac. This are the most boring cars on the road today, period!
    So, that being said I want to remind you that Infiniti has the Best technology in the industry! In what car can you voice command the nav. the radio the CD and in the '08 download music- up to 3,000 songs (Lexus LS is only 2,00 and the new C class M-B is a little less). Do you know that you can say a buisenes phone # and it will find you the address alon with the Point of Interests! All that for a lot less than any other competitor!
    I owned M-B's, Lexus, Acura, Porsche- Infiniti is by far the leader in innovation, technology, performance, attention to detail and Value. And please, don't buy a luxury car for the gas millage only ( the E320 Bluetech is your best choice for that, not Lexus [non-permissible content removed] hybrids), look at the overall aspects!
    If you still have doubts, contact me....:-)
    Cheers!!!
    :) Here is your answer.... The '08 M will have all the technology that you can find in the G sedan and the new G coupe. XM will be the only available sat. radio because of the nav. traffic. From now on Infiniti cars will only have XM, no more Sirious. The looks of the '08 M are a lot more aggressive mainly in the Sport package ( no more sport line... it will be better for the lease especially). Infiniti has too many engines from the previous generation, so this is the reason why no HP changes for next yr. model.
    Now, read carefully. in '09 there will be an M50 at around 380 HP. So, for those who have a lease about to end you can get a short term new lease ( 21-24 months, don't forget you can always do early term. 6 months before the end of the term).
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    bege,

Do you have any insights into:

Will the M50 be available in AWD as an M50x?

Will there be a new engine for the V-6 car? The one in the current M35x is a generation behind what they have in the G35x.

Will there be any changes in the auto transmission, such as additional number of speeds?

Thanks
    Bruce
    As far as AWD on the future M50 I am not sure. There will be as soon as fall of next year revised HP on the M35. Most likely will get the 306 HP from the G sedan along with revised Rev-matching most likely 5 speed trany, which will work much better than the curent one.
    Well folks - today's the big day! - US/CAN dollar at par. Now go to the Infiniti Canada website and configure an M45 Sport - $75,000. Now go the the main US site and configure the EXACT SAME CAR - $54,000. NO DUTIES. So my friends....does the certification 'issue' amount to $20,000 of gravy (that's USD OR CAD nowadays) for those robber Canadian dealerships? (PS - Freight from Buffalo - $750, from Toronto $1650 - and these cars come from Asia - that last 50 miles across the bridge just cost us Canadian suckers about $1000, when the gas to Buffalo is about $25).
    Dear Infiniti Canada ( and the Head Office executives of the other car companies that read these posts)

You have seen the trend and you know the momentum is for a stronger Canadian dollar, so now is the time to at least price the same in Canada as the USA.

Pricing 42% more in Canada is wrong.
    > easy to see on www.infiniti.ca and www.infiniti.com
    > M45 $73,400 in Canada versus $50,550 in USA
    > this $22,850 difference is in after tax dollars. Even at a 35% tax rate, a Canadian has to make almost $31,000 just to pay for the difference.

As you have yet to release and post your 2008 prices, here is your chance to fix the pricing and show you are a good corporate citizen.
    The sad fact is that this isn't only an "Infiniti" issue - remember that Honda Canada (Acura) juiced the 2006 RL by over $15,000 and had to announced 'better' pricing last year (they gave the intellectually-challenged considering this model back only $5K) - yes, there are 'inconveniences' like paperwork and inspection appointments(consultants on the web will do it all for you for $500), and maybe your make/model is one of the few that still attract import duty, but NONE OF THAT AMOUNTS TO AN AVERAGE OF $10,000-$20,000 PRICE DIFFERENCE ON A LUXURY PURCHASE (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti). The real deals (if you can stomach it - would be on the few NA cars that one might consider, like (shudder) Cadillac). And remember that the "CANADIAN DEALER DISEASE" (they will pay anything - shear'em) means that the bordertown US dealers may do better on purchase price in the first place.
  • jmb9jmb9 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Infiniti/Nissan Canada will honour the warranty on a new vehicle purchased in the US?

Aside from the obvious issues of installing DRL, assuring bumpers/seatbelts/emissions conform to cndn standards, and likely swapping out the instrument cluster for a metric one, the warranty issue is the big sticking point. I read yesterday that Honda USA/Canada have recently come together to screw the consumer by saying that not only would a USA-purchased vehicle not have its warranty honoured in Canada, no USA-based dealer will honour the warranty once the car has been brought across the border and registered in canada. so even for those living in border communities who may be thinking the warranty is not an issue - they would just pop across the border for servicing - they are being railroaded by corporate collusion. Other manufacturers have not been as short sighted (Toyota and Subaru for example)...

A new G-coupe is $40k in the US and $51k in Canada. Yet, if warranty is not honoured, I will have no choice by to (1) purchase in Canada and say goodbye to the extra 10-15k (after tax), (2) purchase a cheaper vehicle (3) buy a vehicle from company that offers cross-border warranty coverage.
    Infiniti Canada looks like it covers US Warranty.
    Take a look at this www.apa.ca site:

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253#INFINITI0
  • jlrharleyjlrharley Member Posts: 3
    Maybe you should learn how to spell the name of the car you say you drive!
  • jlrharleyjlrharley Member Posts: 3
    Why don't you " Canadians " start your own forum. We really don't care what a car costs in Canada, eah?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, we do care and Canadian questions and answers are as welcome here as any others.

Welcome to CarSpace - we're glad to have you, but let's not come in shootin' up the place, okay? :)
  • nycdudenycdude Member Posts: 33
    I don't dispute that Canadian questions and comments should be welcome, but jlrharley has a valid (if poorly articulated) point. The forum is meant to provide information about the 2008 model year M. It seems that the last several posts have focused on the price differential between U.S. and Canada, an issue that is not particular to this car. Maybe there should be a separate forum for this issue. :)
  • bathelbathel Member Posts: 2
    If you don't like the price ... don't buy it. As long as Infiniti can sell the car at that price they will. It's not like there is a "RIGHT" to have equal pricing. Maybe the US is a more competative market for them. They sell it cheaper here and more expensive there and average the difference for their bottom line.

Pricing has a lot more to it than the actual cost of the car.
  • waterrightwaterright Member Posts: 5
    Didn't know where to start a new thread. I'm look at the 08 M35 and found the engine noise intrusive on the test drive. Any comments or data on interior noise?
    Around town, it isn't bad. On a long trip it gets annoying. I ended up having a shop put in some dynamat sound proofing on the doors, floor, trunk, and back seat. It isn't annoying anymore, but it's still louder than my Audi A6 was. Generally, I like the car. I ended up buying it more because it has the most headroom of any in this class, which is more important.
    On Nov 5th 2007, Infiniti issued a press release with 2008 pricing:

link to press release

Infiniti websites are not updated yet.
  • finadvfinadv Member Posts: 59
    Go to Pricing and they have option and package pricing also.
  • dlee999dlee999 Member Posts: 2
    in your estimation how much did the dynamat help with noise? did the weight affect performance? thanks.
    The car isn't quiet, but it no longer wears on me on a trip. I make one 400-mile trip periodically...mostly interstate at 70+, prior to this, it was like taking a cross-country plane ride...the constant noise really got to me. 6-7 hours non-stop, and it got really annoying. Now, it is okay. The Audi A6 was quieter out of the box, but I opted to try the Ininiti mostly because it has more headroom. The weight does not seem to be any impact.
  • nyarlathotepnyarlathotep Member Posts: 20
    Trying to decide which is the better option for me.
    2007 pluses: wheels, colors (interior AND exterior), price (as a leftover)
    2008 pluses: ipod connectivity / music hard disk (both very big deals to me as a music lover)
    Can anyone think of any reasons to lease one as opposed to another?
    They are aggressively trying to move the 07s, so the money factor on a lease is as close to zero as you are ever going to see. I haven't seen the MFs on the 08s, but my guess is it's not going to be nearly as good.
  • mooseseekermooseseeker Member Posts: 2
    I currently have a leased 2006 M35x. I just read about the obtrusive noise level on the 2008's at highway speeds. Since I would find that very objectionable, what comparable vehicles should I research and test drive?
    While you won't know until you try, I'd be surprised if the 2008 is much if any different in interior noise levels. I will say that my snow tires are quieter than the Goodyear's that came with the car (also a 2006 M35x). The handling isn't that much worse, either!
  • kthomas52kthomas52 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking to lease an m35x and now see the great deals on 2007's. Any ideas what the 2008's will have for a lease deal? Will buying before 12/31/07 or on or about the end of month/year get a better (great) price on a 2008? Can I offer invoice and not get laughed at??
    I could be wrong but I think the 06 engines were the same, so if it doesn't bother you now, you probably won't mind the 08s. I'm looking to get an 08, and it is somewhat of a concern based on all the comments in here. It's good to see that someone doesn't see an issue.
    The feds changed the way they perform the MPG tests, so the power ratings on the same car with the same engine will now be lower (and probably closer to reality). I haven't looked, but someone said that they will also show the old method's results for comparison.
  • bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    If you want to hear noise, drive a G35 Coupe! I'm trading in my car for an M35 due to the noise, rattles, and tire issues with my 04 Coupe. I just took an extensive drive with a 08 M35 base model and to me it's as quiet as a churchmouse. I guess it's all realtive to what we are used to.
  • juantjuant Member Posts: 1
    I tried searching for this answer but came up empty. I am considering leasing an 2007 M35 Sport but I am concerned about some of the differences between the 07 model and the 08. I know that the 08 has touch screen Nav as well as the audio hard drive and CF flash memory slot. Is there a thread or location someone can direct me to that discusses this? I have to think it has been answered before. Thanks.
    Try edmunds.com/new cars/comparisons. You can compare any 06/07/08/09 cars in side to side format. You can do similar research at kbb.com.

Hope I won't get reprimanded for bringing up a competitors site. Just kidding.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can click on this link for a head start on what 150mphclub suggests. I can't seem to create a link for that other site, though. Oh well, I'm sure this one will be quite helpful.

:-P
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    Great car. How much entertainment do you need? 2007 may be much better deal. Hope you own a gas station. Needs 6 speed tranny.

2006 M35X.
  • mooseseekermooseseeker Member Posts: 2
    TY for your opinion. I ended up leasing an '08 M35X and it is a superb vehicle (as was the '06). However, the gas mileage is horrific... less than 19mpg on mostly hwy driving. A 6-speed transmission would improve mileage and improve my overall satisfaction.
  • bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    The 6 speek trans will most probably only help with a 2 or 3 mpg improvement. Infiniti needs to start thinking of more fuel efficient engines as they are way behind other manufacturers in this dept.
    2 or 3 mpg would be a 10% improvement and this engine could be tuned for another 10%, if Infiniti wanted to do it. I don't think Infiniti cares about mpg. They are too busy trying to get the "experts" approval for outperforming BMW.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    Today, the 2009 FX enters the scene officially with the 3.7 engine (and the 5.0 V8) as well as a seven speed transmission and paddle shifters. Suddenly the M35/45 are looking very old.....
    I believe the 2009 FX35 just retunes the 3.5 engine for 28 extra HP, but it does get a seven speed, which the M35 desparately needs.
This discussion has been closed.