Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Auto Parts Bargains and Coupons

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Careful - I had a refurbed Garmin and it would crash and reboot itself in the middle of a route, intermittently.

Also, since I was not the original owner they did not honor the map updates. Ugh.

I regretted that. Eventually I sold it and that was my happiest day of (not) owning that unit. Since then new and new only.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Interesting; the folks over at FatWallet were talking about all the positive refurb comments they have seen.
    I may have been unlucky, but once bitten, twice shy.
    edited November 2012
    I'm jonsing for an LCD one since I can barely read my old faithful Raleigh gauge any more without a magnifying glass. Not close to a Sears though and shipping kills it.

Craftsman Programmable Digital Tire Gauge - $12.99 ($7 off). There's another one for $10 ($5 off) but the screen looks bigger on the programmable one.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Advance Auto is running a BOGO for $1 on the 20 oz. bottles of Techron through 11/28.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Great timing - we have almost no stores near us, but the one we do have is a Sears (appliances & tools only). I'm on the hunt for stocking stuffers, and this one will be a winner for my S.O.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Copy/paste and e-mail to wife....good stocking stuffer.
    Tempting but I like my round analog dial, plus mine lets you bleed excess pressure.

Or you can always buy an Altima. :D
    edited November 2012
    I have a cheap one of those and it's on a hose. Can't hold it on the tire and bleed it so I gave up on it. Don't trust the accuracy either.

One of my Subaru tires was down 8 pounds between monthly checks. I'm sure it's those good ol' alloy wheels; seems like they are famous for slow leaks.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited November 2012
    I just bought one of those $10 models to replace the one I dropped (LCD stopped working).
    It will be my 3rd one.
    Stopped by Sears on Saturday to get one.
    It wasn't on sale *$15) and there was a long line, so I left.
    The guy in front of me in line had 6 of them, stocking stuffers i guess.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Not sure it counts as a "bargain," but my Mr. will also be getting this:
    http://www.smarthome.com/71899/Smarthome-Dual-Laser-Garage-Parking-System/p.aspx-

I cannot explain why he wants it - we have no crowding or parking issues in the garage - but he saw it in the latest Family Handyman magazine, and thought it was nifty. He's just a fan of tidy, and I guess parking in the exact same spot every day is tidy.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    He's just a fan of tidy, and I guess parking in the exact same spot every day is tidy.

A tennis ball hanging from a string from the ceiling will do the same thing.

But it's not nearly as fancy as that laser guided parking assurance device!!
    Yes, but everyone knows those are for OLD people! Plus, when you have man-guests, who always get a tour of the garage/shop/toys/tools, it really isn't very impressive to show them your high-tech tennis ball device. It's been done to death.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    I put an "X" on each side of the wall in the garage so we both know to stop when we look over and see it...works like a charm!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited November 2012
    For one car I have a 6' length of railroad rail sitting in the garage. It doesn't move (much) when it gets bumped. Got a couple of 4x4 wedges for the other car.

But yeah, mostly I look at the stud in the garage wall I have memorized. :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    a 6' length of railroad rail

A stubbed toe, waiting to happen... :sick: ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Interesting little device. I see they have a single laser model, too.
    We use lally columns to determine how far to pull into the garage.
    Stop when the side view mirror passes it.
  • nortdnortd Member Posts: 13
    I use a string hanging from the garage ceiling attached to a tennis ball. Tennis ball touches my windshield....I STOP!!
    edited November 2012
    I think; details are a little sketchy over at FatWallet.

The idea is to go to this Chevy/Macy's link, enter the contest, and then you may be chosen for a $50 gift card - just print the confirmation page and head to your local Chevrolet dealership. Test-drive any Chevrolet vehicle like the all-new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu or the all-new 2013 Chevrolet Traverse. Profit.

YMMV - I didn't go through the exercise because I didn't want all the promotional information that comes with the sweeps entry.
    All this tire gauge talk ... I've had to air up all three cars due to temps that plummeted over the holiday!
    I checked 16 tires over the weekend and skipped the other 4 under the car cover.
    I would air those up, too, to prevent flat spotting. Unless the tires are off the ground.
    "To get your one-year subscription to Automobile, plus find out what FREE business publications you could receive, simply complete the following information."

link

The fine print says "The information entered above will be used to provide you with a list of FREE trade magazines and other products that you could receive and to send you additional great offers. Magazines for individual use only."

My emphasis; seems legit but usual disclaimers.
    Guess it doesn't work anymore. Too bad.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited December 2012
    Hm, still appears to be working for me. A session expired popup appears but then the page loads. Anyone else?
    edited December 2012
    I didn't find out about it until @15 minutes before the deal expired, but on Black Friday Advance Auto Parts had an online sale: $4/qt off on all Mobil 1 oils- $5/qt. for most grades, $5.49/qt. for Extended Performance.
    I ordered 26 quarts(14 of 0W-40 for the Club Sport and 328i, 6 of 5W-30 EP for the Mazdaspeed, and 6 of 15W-50 for the '02) and saved $104...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Usually $14.99. Reindeer Auto Outfit 2012

Amazon - free shipping on orders over $25.
    Does it only fit Minis and Beetles? :D
    edited December 2012
    I think it only works on cars that can also take headlight eyelashes. :confuse:
    Oil Change Service $15.55 at SEARS

Conventional Oil, Filter Included. $15.55 + $3 Shop Fee.
    edited December 2012
    Keeper 07203 Waterproof Roof Top Cargo Bag

$37.72, free shipping, from Amazon. Half price, although it's often on sale for $44 or so.

I usually don't like or trust the soft carriers up top, but this one has pretty good reviews. And there's some in the warehouse even cheaper that people have been happy with (returns, in other words).

Knowing Amazon, the price could change by the time I hit the Post button. :shades:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    hey, thanks!
    Bought a roof basket for the minivan a while back and needed this to put in it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Where can I get the old style round one with numbers that Sears used to sell? My digital one broke and I really want the old round kind again.

Harbor Freight. Get six and if you find two that agree with each other, keep one and take the other five back. ;)
    You give way back more in fuel costs than you save in the purchase price with those soft toppers.
    No kidding, even then are those 2 right?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I picked up a round metal with a large dial by Slime. I think I got it at Walmart. But several of the box stores carry that brand. I was turned off by the name and the marketing but I've liked the brass colored metal analogue meter. It's within 1 pound based on other gauges I have. Like Steve says... none match.

http://www.slime.com/shop/images/819/2010120611304393972_lrg.jpg

I had a couple of digit gauges and they developed problems after a while. Guess I'm just old fashioned.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited December 2012
    Some of y'all know we bought a 100 year old house here a couple of years ago and we're the second owners. The family ("kids" in their 70s) left some stuff around that's been fun picking through.

One item I found in the basement just last month was a brass tire gauge, made by none other than Schrader. It's not one of the old turn of the century ones but probably does date back to the 50s.

Unfortunately it's way off and I don't think you can "fix" them. My best gauge is an older Raleigh bike gauge.
    Bingo! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Next time I'm by the mart, I'll check one out. I'd bet an auto parts store would have the same thing but a bit more expensive!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Mine is a brass color for the metal case, but certainly not brass. I had bought various pencil gauges and tried metal ones and the plastic ones. The companies package the gauges in material where I couldn't tell if the case was plastic or metal. The pencil guages were erratic.

It's been a while, so I'll start looking at the stores for another metal, round large gauge and buy one like what I have.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited December 2012
    Here's an Accugage Dial Tire Gauge.

FWIW, Consumer Reports tested tire gauges in their June 2012 issue. I don't remember the final results, but the Slime gauges did not score well.

edited January 2013
    These free subscriptions come around regularly. Some people report issues with the link but it seems to be working okay for me. One year subscription, free.

freebizmag.com

Offer expires 1/24/13.
    It's not working.

Not working on both my computers...damn!

edited January 2013
    Honest, I'm not posting these just to frustrate you. Is this the second or third time? :shades:

It's expired now. :(
    What do you mean? I just saw this today for the first time...right before I posted that I couldn't get into it. Really unhappy as I really like Automobile but the wife has cut me back to 2 car rags and already get Motor Trend and Car and Driver. I know they are both very similar magazines but I decided to give up Road and Track a few years ago to appease her. She just doesn't get my love for cars even after 30 something years. Hopefully this deal will resurface at some later date and I can snag a free subscription.

edited January 2013
    Ah, sorry, I must be confusing you with someone else who kept missing this deal - it comes around every few months or so. At least you can read some of their content online.
    Got my 1st one the other day...turns out I did another entry somewhere else in December or so and it came in the mail, gratis! Autoweek is another one that will be coming at a $2 offer I received online...couldn't pass that one up either. Luckily, i love to read stuff!!

edited January 2013
    Get a 5 quart jug or 5 quarts of Quaker State with an STP Oil Filter for $16.99.

Mail in rebate gets you a $10 AutoZone Gift Card.

Limit of 2, offer good for 6 days. Not all weights available, no synthetic included, stock varies by store.
    AutoZone