Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan

Comments

• borcharlborcharl Member Posts: 4
    I ordered a T&C in Nov and still waiting for delivery. No one seems to have any idea when it will be built even though they gave me a vin number for my car. Any one have any ideas about delivery time.
  • maryh3maryh3 Member Posts: 263
    I am in the same boat as you are -- we ordered mid-November and still waiting. I get miffed because we ordered then because we thought our new van would be in for long trips we take for X-mas and MLK when we go skiing. Now both have passed and we still are waiting. I'm getting mad. My old t&c now has 177K and it is not as comfortable as the new one would be. If I knew it would take this long I would have waited to order until the rebate get bigger.
  • borcharlborcharl Member Posts: 4
    I have call Chrysler customer assistance with a vehicle order number and was told that it is on the schedule but there is nobody in the company can furnish a date for the build.

Chrysler does not seem to be very organized operation.
  • 99oddity99oddity Member Posts: 6
    Can any of the Chrylser employees out there enlighten us on what the new options packages that will be offered are? (Announced this morning by Deborah Myers). Specifically I am interested in T&C options. I am reasonalby certain I want a T&C Touring with L package but if I can Swivel n Go and leather on LX I might be tempted to save a few bucks. Any engine upgrade options coming?

Thanks.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Can any of the Chrylser employees out there enlighten us on what the new options packages that will be offered are?

The only way I know of would be to go to chrysler.com and click on the Build My Own tab.
    I agree about the disorganization but I've never ordered a car and have it come in when the salesman said it would and this includes both a Toyota, BMW and Ford. I believe the salesmen too much I guess.

I try to look at the bright side of things. By it not coming in yet I will save on taxes - I will be assessed on a auto will be 1 year old at the time of assessment (Dec). I backed into a pole recently and scratched a little paint on my bumper - glad it wasn't my new van. Went skiing and my van is covered with salt from the road - glad it isn't my new van. Gotta think positively about this!!
  • flanders140flanders140 Member Posts: 18
    The L package has changed. It now has everything that the M package has except the larger rims, larger tires and air filtration but will be $130 less and then has a $1525 "Dual DVD Entertainment Grp Discount" subtracted from the MSRP ($1655 total price difference). If you go Chrysler's website and search local dealers you'll see some of the window stickers with the new packages on them.
  • jeepdtjeepdt Member Posts: 15
    Maybe I missed this one. What happened to the grove box light on the 08 DGC? I openned my GB at night and couldn't see a thing inside it. Even with the interior lights on. I guess that's why Chrysler included a flashlight with their new minivans, LOL. I hope they put it back moving forward. ;)
  • jeffs72jeffs72 Member Posts: 6
    I agree. If you can find a dealer with a service department that is great; stick with them. I was disappointed when my Pontiac dealer was sold 18 months after I bought the car. The service went downhill and I was rarely happy with them after the sale.
  • brad74bbrad74b Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I've been driving an 08 Town & Country Limited since November and overall I love it. It's my 5th van and by far the best yet. I do however have 2 gripes that perhaps someone could explain to me:

1. There is no low washer fluid level warning. Every car I've had since I started driving has had this. The T&C even has tire pressure details available, but I can't find anywhere the low washer fluid indicator and I keep unexpectedly running out. Am I missing something here or is it really not there? If not, why on earth would they omit it?

2. Low fuel indicator. At least it has this. On my previous Grand Caravans the "distance until empty" value would decrease to zero, then you'd have a few more available miles on the reserve tank before it was truly out. On this one, the DTE measurement is still there, but only until you reach the low fuel level (about 1/4 tank). As soon as that low fuel warning comes on, no more distance measurements.

Anyone have any insight into these issues?
  • shoppizeshoppize Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    We are considering a new TC or GC. Can anyone tell me what differences there are between the two in general? Are there any different features? Package deals, options, gizmos? :-)
    Thanks
    Here are links to the websites for each of the two vehicles.

2008 Chrysler Town & Country

http://www.chrysler.com/en/2008/town_country/

LX MSRP*:$23,240
    Touring MSRP*:$28,625
    Touring Signature Series Value Package MSRP*:$32,145
    Limited MSRP*:$36,400

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/grand_caravan/

SE VALUE MSRP*:$22,520
    SE MSRP*:$26,210
    SXT MSRP*:$27,730
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    Biggest differences as I saw it:
    T&C is a bit more expensive for the same options but has a more upscale interior (nicer leather, faux wood dash, better feel overall) and a softer ride. Strangely the vastly superior 4.0L engine is more difficult to get since it is only on the top of the line Limited.

Speaking of engines, I was surprised and dismayed to see that they are still making pushrod engines when overhead cams (OHC) are so much more powerful and efficient and all of their competitors use OHC engines (Single OHC or Dual OHC). The 3.3L pushrod is far too weak but lets them claim fuel economy and flex fuel capability; the 3.8L pushrod on the other hand is completely pointless when you get the same economy and a lot more power from the 4.0L which is OHC.

The Grand Caravan has a slightly firmer ride (a good thing IMHO, more so would be better), but you can feel the cost difference by the quality of interior materials. The 4.0L engine is much more accessible with the SXT N or M packages which, while well equipped, don't have to have all the expensive bells and whistles found on the T&C Limited.
  • shoppizeshoppize Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the great info... this will be a big help.
    Thanks also to Tedebear...I'm going to be spending a lot of time on those sites..

I would love to hear everyone's reasons for choosing one over the other...sounds like it is going to be a tough choice.
  • bdpstlbdpstl Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have an educated guess or insider knowledge of upcoming dealer interest rate incentives that will be offered? I have decided on leasing the T&C, but can't bring myself to commit on the cash rebate alone. I did see on automotive.com that Chrysler is offering a 5.3% on a 36 month lease but want to wait until it gets to the 3% range. How long do you think I'll have to wait? Advice?
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Reuters News Service is reporting that DX dealers have approved a reorganization plan that will eliminate many dealers. Also, and perhaps of more importance to consumers, Chrysler will eliminate as many as 30 models including one of their two minivan brands. Trust me, you do not want to be the owner of a discontinued model. My 2003 Olds Silhouette's value dropped drastically when GM discontinued the Olds brand.

Who will it be, Dodge Caravan or the Town and Country? Doesn't the Caravan outsell the T & C?

Buyer beware.
    It's called Project Genesis. The plan is to have the entire lineup under one roof.

Chrysler hasn't said which models they are considering cutting but if one of the two minivans goes that doesn't mean it will not still be available under a different name. The Chrysler PT Cruiser used to be a Plymouth.
    The point is you will still own an orphan nameplate and the value of your car will depreciate, greatly. The T&C and Caravan have significant differences as noted here by other posters so it will affect the vehicle's resale value. These vans already have a notoriously low resale value.

This is not a new issue as many other brands both domestic and foreign have done it in the past.

It might be interesting to note the resale value of a used Pacifica since DX decided to kill that model.
    The Pacifica is being discontinued. This is totally different than changing the name of a minivan that the company has no plans to stop building.

Since both of these minivans are built under the same roof the company can configure what goes out the door however they want. There would no physical change to the product, other than a namplate. Did the resale of the PT Cruiser suddenly drop when it became a Chrysler?

Right now the Chrysler and Dodge minivans have 7 different configurations between the two. If they get rid of one name I suspect the company will consolidate some of those models into maybe 4-5 different choices.

2008 Chrysler Town & Country

LX MSRP*:$23,240
    Touring MSRP*:$28,625
    Touring Signature Series Value Package MSRP*:$32,145
    Limited MSRP*:$36,400

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

SE VALUE MSRP*:$22,520
    SE MSRP*:$26,210
    SXT MSRP*:$27,730
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I agree. Considering the continued availability of parts, support, etc. and the already rapid rate of depreciation, I doubt the value of the discontinued branding will significantly drop in relation to the value of a comparable van in the continuing brand.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The orphan will probably be the Plymouth Voyager. This actually is old news. Most of what is being discontinued was announced months ago. The entire Plymouth line is supposed to go along with the PT Cruiser, Pacifica, Sebring, Crossfire. There will be big rebates on these probably during the summer. If they still have the "lifetime warrenty" - and you get a great price with a nice rebate, these will be a steal of a deal. Since there will be minivans made of the same type, except nameplate, there won't be an "availability of parts" issues.
    The entire Plymouth line went a long time ago. They do not make a Plymouth anything anymore since about the 2001 model year.

Also, the only PT Cruiser leaving is the convertible version. The Sebring isn't leaving either.
    I should agree with you except that I saw an 08 advertisement for the Plymouth Grand Voyager in the 08 body style at the Dodge dealer several months ago. You know more than me so can you explain what is going on here? I am positive of what I saw. It is almost as if the Grand Voyager is a model type of Grand Caravan. Like you I heard they were discontinued but saw the poster for it.
    I respectfully disagree. Please look at automotive history of all the discontinued nameplates. Sure, the Caravan and T&C use the same components but all the public cares about is a viable nameplate. The GM vans were triplets with only a trim difference yet the Silhouette's low resale value dropped lower than its siblings when Olds was discontinued. Check it out.
    It depends how much cheaper and how much more higher rebated the so-called orphan is. I'd take the cheaper price up-front and not have to worry what its value will be 5 years down the road. Bet I'd come out ahead. The same can be said of the 2007 vs 2008 Chrylser minivans. Those 2007's with the lifetime warrenty, $4500 rebates, sticker price discounts where you were probably paying $10000 less than its 2008 counterparts -- look like the better deal. However, the best deal and better resale are simply not the only things that matter.

When considering resale -- you must consider what you paid for it in the first place to determine who got the better deal.
  • maguymaguy Member Posts: 13
    I bought a new 2008 Town & Country Touring last month. So far not that many folks have posted on this board their positive experiences so I will share mine. This is a nice van!! I am not a domestic car only kind of car buyer, so my driving impressions are from a person that has owned Honda and Toyota exclusively for several years. We did look at the Sienna very, very closely as we narrowed down our choices. A couple of highlights I'd like to share with you all:

1. The exterior look, in my opinion, is very classy. As I have had the chance to really look at the car, I really like the squared off proportions of this car. So far I have had 3 people stop me to look at the car.

2. The interior plastics are hard in certain areas. I agree with others here. However, the driving position is excellent and the doors have a very solid, mercedes feel. Absent the hard plastic, I tend to really prefer the look of the T&C over the DGC (just my opinion). The adjustable pedals are nice, and the mygig radio does become more intuitive as you get used to it. All the gauges are clear and very easy to read. I do wish it had a 6 disc cd player, but the radio does have a lot of functionality that over time might make this a non-issue. The sliding console should have a better feel. Ours works great, but the hard plastic here and the mechanisms aren't premium feeling. I do like the way it looks over the standard console though.

3. The interior lighting at night is EXCELLENT. You might not notice this at your first test drive unless it is at night, but the bright white LED's are very nice, casting a great easy to see light over the cabin when entering and exiting at night. Particulary useful when you need to find a childs toy or are loading the van at night.

4. Chrysler is right on target offering a power tailgate on many models (we all know you need to get an XLE Sienna or Touring Ody to get this).

5. The six speed tranny is offering very nice, smooth and seamless shifting. I was weary of Chrysler trannys but so far so good.

6. The DVD player loads in the front, a better design for those with very small kids. You don't want them out of their car seat to load a movie, and you don't want to reach back while you are driving.

7. If you are getting a Touring and it is not an M or L package, get the family value group. We've already used the second row sunshades. Nice feature.

8. We also have the heated front and second row seats (cloth). Very nice. Very european offering here.

9. It has a surprisingly tight turning radius, and the ride is very, very smooth. Yet at the same time, I like the handling. I know it isn't generally highly regarded here, but so far I am very impressed with the way it drives.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Exterior:

The front end looks stunning, with a raised hood and giant grille, which looks really good. Headlamps is very nice and is bright. Door handles are pretty large, and have a good feel. The sliding doors are much improved over the previous version in many ways. First of all, they slide smoother and quieter, and don’t make that strange noise when power closing the door, before finishing the process of closing. Also, in the old version, if you wanted to reverse direction, you were not able to do that. For example, if you wanted to close the sliding door in middle of power-opening operation, you would have to wait until it completes opening, and only then press the button again to close it. Now in the 2008 models it’s much more flexible. You can reverse direction at any time instantly.

The liftgate handle is much better now, just a simple handle like ion the good old times... not anymore this annoying electronic touch handle which confused every single family member.. It now also have an extra control in the rear to close it, which is VERY useful.

The rear end looks very dull. I understand they made it so square-ish in order to increase interior room, and that’s a good thing, but I can’t get over the looks. The lamps mimic the Chrysler 300, which is not so nice on the van (and where is the LED lamps?).

I also dislike the wheels of the Limited. It’s supposed to be nice and elegant, but is rather sporty and very different. I would love Chrysler to offer a choice of 2-3 wheels.

The outside mirrors is now huge, almost double the size of the previous generation vans, which enhances visibility. They now have an option (on the Limited only I think) that the exterior mirror tilt down when in reverse, but unfortunately it’s only for the left (driver side) mirror. IMO, it would be much more useful for the passenger side mirror. Mirrors are auto-dim (interior and driver side exterior), and can be turned off in case you dislike this feature. Note that when the driver side mirror is dim, there is a small surrounding part that does not get dim (looks like a “border” around the mirror) which is sometimes disturbing and feels funny.

In the higher-end models, the mirrors include a signal lamp in front (rear of mirror), which is very nice. But I would like to extend it a bit longer, to bring a small part of it to the rear (front of mirror) so the driver should be able to see it. The way it’s designed, the signal is invisible from the driver’s seat.

A note about the windshield wipers: It’s not crossover style anymore. I hate that the driver side wiper does not go further to the end of the windshield when wiping, leaving about 4-5 inches of rain/snow, which hurts visibility. I can’t figure out why they (American built vehicles) always need to leave such a big gap. (The Japanese are doing better with that).

A big mistake Chrysler did with the redesign is not returning the wiper de-icer feature. So many people requested this, longing back to the old times when they used to offer (on minivans before 2003), and now many competitors already adopted this excellent useful feature, like Toyota Sienna; Kia/Hyundai twins, and more.

You can set via the settings whether or not the headlamps should come on automatically when you press UNLOCK on the remote. It’s a very useful feature, which I have seen already for years on GM vehicles. GM vehicles went a step further, that it also illuminates the rear backup lamps, so no matter which direction you’re coming from, it’s always bright around your car. Hopefully Chrysler will include the rear lamps in the next updated version.

As noted in other posts, the antenna seems to be un-removable, which is a design flaw IMO. In general I think that antennas like this should be a thing of the past. The newer cars have them built in in the rear windows. But I took already many car washes, and it stays OK.

Interior:

The looks and feel inside is much much better than the older vans. I still think that some controls are not at the right position, and I would definitely change them, but overall it looks stunning, rich, elegant and inviting. And most of my friends / family agree.

Let me start with the good points. The interior door handles are HUGE and is very pleasant to use. Opening the front doors is just a pleasure. The grab handles is also very comfortable. Unfortunately, you only get those comfy grab handles in the Chrysler version, not in the Dodge. Silly.

The interior controls are all clearly illuminated, besides for the ignition key ring hole. Speaking about illumination, I must mention my anger when I found out that of both glove boxes neither is illuminated. They added so many beautiful lighting all over the van, I can’t figure out why they forgot of the glove compartments, one of the most used storage compartments. Much more important than the illuminated bottle holders in the bottom of the front doors. (as someone stated above, maybe that’s why they’re including the flash light in the rear of van... but they should replace it to the front then....)

The leather seats is so much better than the older vans, it’s no comparison at all. The old vans had a rough feeling – it felt rather like a school bus vinyl covered seat, not a comfortable leather at all. Now it is just delicious. Smooth, soft, and nice. The same leather is used for the gear selector, which also feels very good and upscale. Unfortunately, the steering wheel does not get that leather, but a different (cheaper IMO) kind.

Speaking of the gear selector, I was skeptical at first for the new location, but I must admit that it’s a pleasure to use. Once you get used to that, you just like it.

The gauges are very nice, and beautifully designed. That’s true for most Chrysler vehicles. I was first a bit upset that they don’t offer the optitron gauges like many others do, but now I think that this way is better, so you don’t lose the nice graphical gauges even at night. That being said, it would be nicer that the needles should be in striking red color, not black. Also, The engine temperature and fuel level gauges to go up and down, not right to left (I like this in the Dodge version better than the Chrysler).

I was not so impressed, though, of the LCD’s below the 2 center gauges, which shows the outside temperature and compass. They’re pixelated, and the previous generation vans were much better with that. But they show you a wealth of information, including the GPS directions (if the main unit is off), shows you graphically which door is open, and countless other messages. They also let you choose a ton of settings in the higher end models (if you have a model without the so-called “Information Center”, you can have your settings changed at your dealer). Still, I would’ve love for the exterior temperature indicator and compass to stay in front of the overhead console, so it’s visible to all passengers. Just put the trip computer dow
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    AUDIO / NAVIGATION SYSTEM

The one I have is the MyGig, with navigation and U-connect Bluetooth. But not rear entertainment system (I don’t need it, since most of the times I am traveling without passengers, and even when I have a family trip, I don’t want my children to watch videos on the way).

Even though I don’t have the DVD entertainment system, you can still play DVD’s in the front audio unit. Just put a DVD into the slot of the CD player, and choose “view video”, and you could watch it sitting on the front seat. Of course it’s only working when you’re in Park. Beware that the screen is a wide aspect, and if you put a standard aspect (3:4) DVD, the movie will widen horizontally to fill the entire screen, which is quite annoying.

The MyGig is a beautiful feature. You can load pictures and music (via CD or USB drive – but not via DVD). I wish they would add video format also (MPG, AVI and RAM). The hard drive is sometimes noisy, like older computers while ‘thinking’. That noise happens even when the audio system is not turned on, since it is working in the background for the GPS navigation system and your contacts for the U-connect phone.

The system is pretty much informative when playing an audio file. I would love to see a graphical bar that shows how long the song is and at which position it is now – similar to all computer based AND portable media players. At least a “time remaining” would be useful. You could also see at-a-glance in your “info center” below the gauges if it’s a CD, HDD, or RADIO, which station/or track, etc.

There are so many features for this system, that Chrysler included a separate thick manual. Of course it’s not possible to list them here, but it’s jam-packed with so many handy capabilities.

It also includes the rear backup camera which is very nice. If you don’t like it, you can disable it. The picture is not as clear as some other cars, but it gets the job done. You can also set that when the LCD is off, it should display the time. The time format is updated automatically via GPS, so it’s always accurate. (But it does not work together with the analog clock).

I also have the Sirius traffic information, but I never used it so I can’t comment. It seems to be a very good idea. The navigation itself is working excellent, and gives you so many options and ways to customize.

With Bluetooth, when a call comes in, the audio is muted (CD player or HDD is paused) and it announces that there is an incoming call, but does not read names. Names does not appear unless you put it in your VAN’s contact list (it will not scan the phone book from your phone – or maybe it depends which phone?). Outgoing calls is quite time consuming, first you press the Uconnect button, then at the prompt say “CALL” (or DIAL if the number is not programmed with an VOICE.....), and then say the name/number, then confirm “YES”, and only then it will say ‘calling...’. I find it easier to just take out my phone and speed-dial the number, and it automatically immediately connects. I can then return the phone to my pocket and speak on Uconnect system. (If the phone number is not stored in the Uconnect system, you can’t see the number, only the time.) During a phone conversation, you see the time elapsed, and the battery / signal level.

The Auxiliary-In works very well, so I can connect my laptop (or sometimes my old cassette player) to the vehicles audio system. I would like it placed at a lower position - some companies place the jack in the center console - somewhere closer to the device you're using - and it's better, so you don't have a cable hanging down thru your IP.

SEATING

The front seats are comfortable, especially in the Limited I have, with bigger side bolsters. As mentioned above, the leather is great (except for the inside part, where it mimics the previous generation leather – but you barely feel it). The power seat controls are much smaller than the older vans, and work differently too – when moving up, it automatically moves you forward and vice versa (like many Japanese vehicles are acting). I really don’t like it. I got the memory seats which is very good, of course.

The lumbar support is placed on a very wired location. It’s on the side of the seat, up pretty high. It’s not easy to access, especially in middle of driving. I would like to have it POWERED.

Middle row seats – I got the stow ‘n go, so it’s not as big & comfy as the other versions, but still acceptable. What’s really bad, is the rear seat – on ALL models and versions. They got a slightly bigger well behind the rear seat than the older vans – it should’ve been even bigger (to match rivals dimensions) and also improve the tiny uncomfortable seat. Any other minivan has better 3rd row seat seating position. My 3rd row seats power-folds in floor with a push of a button. I think it’s useless, especially that you CAN’T override it. You must stay patiently and wait... it takes much longer than doing it manually. Also, because of that power feature, the recliner is also powered and dificult to operate.

First & second row seats can get heated. I would love to have cooled seats for the hot summer days... so many vehicles offer them already...

OK, I will stop here now. I will probably add more in the future..
  • sargentdansargentdan Member Posts: 4
    Where is the spare tire and jack located on the 2008 Town & Country/Grand Caravan? One salesman I spoke to said "underneath." I took a quick look, but I didn't see it.
    Call me old fashioned, but that's one thing I always look for before taking a test drive. The sales literature doesn't show where it is either.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I believe it's underneath, between the driver and passenger seat. There's a small plastic cap you have to remove, then crank it down to ground etc....
  • kriscotkriscot Member Posts: 4
    This problem started about a week after purchase..now almost 3k miles. Once I was at the house of a family member for over 2 hours when a pizza delivery person knocked on the door and wanted to know who had the nice van with the door wide open....aaahhhh.. :-) I was on a mini vacation over the weekend and used my sliding powers doors the most yet since purchase and probably 80% of the time the door (usually driver side) will get to approx. 85% closed and then reverse...the next time it may close or do the same thing again. I read some other posts on this however can't seem to find them now. Are others having this issue or does Chrysler have a fix for this yet? seems to be no rhyme or reason that I can determine. exteremely irritating!!
  • wpark3wpark3 Member Posts: 4
    I spoke to Corporate Chrysler and was told that they are fixing this problem. I also have the same problem with my sliding doors. They are working on a "Flashing module" that is supposed to come out within a couple of weeks.
    thank you for the info. Are they supposed to let you know when the fix is available or should I just keep checking in with my dealer?
  • wpark3wpark3 Member Posts: 4
    I have a case manager who I am dealing with and he is supposed to call me when it's all ready.
    Excellent. If you wouldn't mind could you please shoot me an email when he calls. Then I can call my dealer with exact details so I don't have to chase my tail with them. Thank you!!
  • dani3dani3 Member Posts: 10
    Hi!! I am a proud new owner of the new 2008 Chrysler T&C touring signature adition with the 25L package. I am only a week into my lease and I am having issues that maybe one of you all can help me with. One: I have the dual DVDs...but how on earth do I play 2 separate movies??? Also, has anyone had an issue with the volume just going dead? Today it did that to me..you can still see everything in the LCD screen...but no sound, nothing for about an hour. My friend has had hers for a few months now and this has happened twice to her. Any insight on this issue? Also, since I have the MY GIG stereo...shouldn't the phone option be on there? The button is..however when pushing it, it says I am not connected for U-Connect. Do I need some type of software for this option?
    Any info on this would be so very helpful!! Thanks so much! And after having a T&C for the last 8 yrs...I can say this is for sure my favorite one!!! Did I just say that out loud?? LOL Thanks again for any help you may have to offer me!!!

Danielle
    I have had the same volume issue with my T&C. It happened once and after having it shut off for about 2 hours it worked correctly again. I also have problems with the Uconnect. After completing a call the system still says I'm am "connecting" and it won't play any audio. The only way I can clear it is to turn my cell phone off. I had the vehicle in the shop yesterday and they said there was a problem with the mygig system and they are completely replacing it. Unfortunately that includes replacing the hard drive with all my music on it. It's a good thing I didn't put a lot of time into getting my jukebox all set up with playlist (which appears as though it will take an eternity to do) or I would be doing it all over again.

Regarding being connected to the Uconnect system, did you pair the phone yet?

wpark3, could you post something when you are told about the sliding door fix please. I'm sure there are plenty of other people (myself included) that are having problems that would appreciate knowing that a fix is available.

We are really enjoying the van, but it would be nice to be able to enjoy every feature that it has to offer without having issues.
    Also, since I have the MY GIG stereo...shouldn't the phone option be on there? The button is..however when pushing it, it says I am not connected for U-Connect. Do I need some type of software for this option?

I can't help you with the other questions but on the phone, you need to have a Bluetooth compatible cell phone in the vehicle. You also have to "pair" it to the MyGIG unit the first time before you use it.

After that, anytime you're in your vehicle and you have your cell phone turned on it will automatically link to let you make or receive hands-free calls. It uses the stereo speakers and the microphone is in the rearview mirror. The MyGIG does not have to be turned on to receive a call but it does if you want to make a call. Read the UConnect section of your owner's manual.
  • asdrew1asdrew1 Member Posts: 19
    Danielle,
    Not all MyGIG systems may have dual DVD players, mine has a separate VES (Video Entertainment System) player below the AC controls in addition to the slot behind the MyGIG screen
    To watch 2 different DVD's, use the remote control:
    - put one DVD behind the Mygig screen up front, another in the VES slot below
    - the physical switch on the right of the remote switches from screen 1 or 2
    - then press "Mode" on the bottom left to select the input for the given screen

If you do not have MyGIG with navigation (the "infotainment" one I think) you might not have UConnect, but the button will still be there. If you do have UConnect, the instructions above will get you hooked up.
    HI!! YES!!! After turning the car off and letting it sit, it worked again.And today it went out twice on me. My hubby is taking it in, they said it sounds like a short. But if others are having this issue...sounds like it's something else? Hopefully they will replace it as well! I haven't done the julebox either! Thank God! And I only have one CD downloaded now. I have only had it 1.5 weeks.
    As far as the phone goes...when I push the "phone" button..it just says you aren't connected to U-connect. It won't let me pair it at all. I think I don't have the service.
    Thanks for your help! It is surely appreciated!!!!
    Hi!!!
    Yes, mine has the same set up as yours. So I will try that in the AM when I take my kiddies to the bus stop. Thanks sooo much! And yeah, I don't have the navigation..so I think you are right on the button being there but not able to use it. Waa! My husband has SYNC in his car and I love that my phone connects to his car when I drive it!! Once you use it, you don't want to hold that phone to your ear! Thanks so much for your info as well! I am sure glad I stumbled upon this site!!!

Danielle
    Thanks so much for your offer of help! I think since I don't have the navigation,I don't have U-Connect. I may see what it would take to get it installed though. But being a lease, not sure if it's worth it. ;( Thanks so much though!!

Danielle
    I'm back with another question!! LOL On the T&C 2008, has anyone had remote start issues? Sometimes it will start other time it won't. Like I can be in my house standing in front of it....it starts...next day same thing, but it won't start....I move farther away and nothing. When I go to SubWay by my house...it has never started. Is there interference with it? I'm baffled. Any info on this issue would be great as well! Thanks again!

Danielle
    I forgot one more thing...do they each have to have the headphones on to hear the different sounds? TY!!
    I think since I don't have the navigation,I don't have U-Connect

Wow, a lot of questions here. :)

First, nav is not required to have UConnect. Also, you don't pair the phone by pressing the Phone icon button. It's in the system setup - a different button. The procedure should be described in your owner's manual.

You do have to have a Bluetooth-compatible cell phone with you and turned on when you do this though. It's telling you that you are not connected because you haven't paired a phone to it yet.

On the remote start, I've used mine successfully from over 600 ft away looking out a closed window at my car in the parking lot. The distance greatly decreases when going through walls. If you press the start button twice too fast or too slowly it might not work either.
    Thank you!!!! ;) I will try that and the dual DVD today...but do the kids need to wear the headphones to get the different audio for their own videos? Thanks again, and I swear that's the last of my questions... :blush: LOL! Have a great day!

Danielle
    I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer....
    There can only be one audio source playing through the speakers at a time, so for your kids to each hear their own audio from their screen they would need the headphones. You could have just one kid with the headphones on and the other listening to the audio from the speakers. Otherwise you could have both listening on headphones and you could listen to something completely different from them.

FYI - if you have the security package then your vehicle has UConnect. Do you have rear park sensors or the signal lights on the side mirrors? If so you have the security package and UConnect.
    You must have understood, lol. You answered exactly what I needed to know....thank you!! ;)
    I do have the back up camera...but not the sensors or the lights on the mirrors.

Thanks so much!!
    Danielle
    If you have a touring model and no nav or backup sensors then you don't have UConnect.
    Bummer! Wish I had known that before I got it. Can it be added? Thanks so much!

Also, I followed the instructions from the previous helper on the dual DVD....IT WORKS!! YAY!!! And I get to hear the radio!!! Thanks for saving me!!

Danielle