Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan

Comments

• sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    Also one other thing I notice about my 08GC van is when turning, (could be left or right) once in a while I get a short metal scraping sound. Hard to explain a sound but kind of like the spring is grinding, or adjusts incorrectly. The sound is very brief less than 1 sec, and only seems to occur if the van is turning at slow speed perhaps on an unever surface? I plan on brining it is for service the week, just curious if anyone else experiences this.
  • asdrew1asdrew1 Member Posts: 19
    On my van, it took 2 trips to identify the source of the low speed noise. It was a problem with a c-clip on the left front axle nut, which was binding on something, then being released in slow left turns.
    thanks I will be informing the dealership when i bring it in, this information is very helpful
    Oh also do you know if they had to change the C-Clip, or make some adjustment? And has the problem gone away since the change?? Mine is also on a Left turn, but sounds like it is coming from the driver side front wheel.. Is this the same side as yours?
  • asdrew1asdrew1 Member Posts: 19
    Yes, that sounds the same as mine. On the service ticket, they wrote "removed c-clip spring from front axle nut. Binding on steering."

I assume that they meant removed and replaced, removed and adjusted or something like that. I didn't read the exact words until I got home so I did not question the wording.

Not one more noise since then!
    Ok well i finally had my Van in for service. The service tech drove the van and was able to duplicate the noise on the slow left turn. The apparent cause was Backing plates were touching lower control arms on full turns. Adjusted Both FRT Backing Plates. So I will be monitoring to see if this fixes the problem.

Plus they reprogrammed the van to fix the sliding door problems. And also found the Rad Cap was leaking, apparently this is a common problem on the new 08 GC and the Cap needed replacing with a different one. Anyone else experience this?
  • cinann131cinann131 Member Posts: 27
    Took van into the dealer and they were unable to duplicate the problem. Have you or anybody else been successfull at having this taken care of? We moved the roof rails, then removed them, but it did not stop the whistling...we were hoping that was the cause. Any one? help?
  • michaelmccunemichaelmccune Member Posts: 5
    I have not had that issue, but I have heard others complaining of radiator cap issues. I saw pictures of the original somewhere and I had a different one. But mine was made in April 08. There is a service bulletin out on it.
    Since it has been a few days since your post regarding the service, did the noise on the slow left turn stop after the service? Mine is going in end of week for second time as they were unable to duplicate the problem the first time. I am taking info from these boards in hopes that it will help them fix this.
    The noise has not occured again since the service. It appears they have resolved the problem. I would get the dealer to check for any signs of wear or rubbing on the lower control arms. Even if they can not duplicate the noise they may be able to see where it was rubbing.

Also the sliding doors have been working 100% since the software upgrade.
  • odymommaodymomma Member Posts: 6
    You can question it all you like but it is fact. The worst I got over 5000 mi was in the 9 mpg range the best was 18 all highway. With gas the price it is that was not acceptable. The Ody also had bad wind noise/windshield whistle and rattleling rear doors. I most certaintly did not buy a new car with a sticker of over 29,000 to have to trade it with in 7 months of ownership. If you'll look the '07 don't seem to get good mileage at all and especially the LX/EX engine. The EX-L/Touring supposedly gets bettter mpgs because of the VCM but it's louder/vibrations. AS you said your mpgs are mixed mine are strictly in town stop & go many cold starts. My GC now has 1700mi on it and I've been averaging 17 in town and on the 1 trip all highway of 280mi including rush hour stop & go through NYC highways(Van Wyck & 95) 2 times it got 23.9 so I'm pleased. :shades:
    Anyone experience the audio in the van just stop working for no reason at all. I was driving the Van all day and towards the end of the trip the radio just stopped playing sound, I tried playing DVD, CD, AM,FM, turning the Van on and off, the Audio would not come back. Then after I got home I let the van cool down for about 15 min then went back turned the key and the sound came back? :confuse: Only has happened once but makes me wonder why that would occur. It was a very hot day outside.
  • bzhnbzhn Member Posts: 7
    I'm having the same problem. I believe this is a firmware issue with the MyGIG system. I'm planning on getting it updated at the dealer next week. If you feel like doing it yourself, go to the unofficial MyGIG website at:

mofv.com/mygig/

Is this the only issue you've had with the minivan?
    No I have had several issues. All which I have been discussing in this forum.

Most have been resolved, but since I had the software in the Vans computer upgraded I have had this temporary loss of audio on the radio. Now I live in Canada, and the radio I have is standard. No U connect, nav or anything like that. Just the touch screen with the DVD player and hard drive. These radios need upgrading in the software then? Why wouldnt the dealer/chrysler have a tech bullition for this to be done on all the vans as they come in for service?
    I currently have REN 8.4, I will try and upgrade the My GiG to the current 9.112ver and see if the problem re occurrs.
  • bzhnbzhn Member Posts: 7
    These radios need upgrading in the software then?
    Apparently so, as do most consumer products today that have any sort of computer chip in them: digital cameras, dvd players, etc. and, of course, computers and their operating systems.

Why wouldnt the dealer/chrysler have a tech bullition for this to be done on all the vans as they come in for service?
    I have no idea. I'm new to the Chrysler experience, having dealt with VW exclusively in the past. Customer service with VW was great, from automatic notifications of any vehicle issues to getting loaner cars when the vehicle was in for any maintenance or service. So far so good with Chrysler, but I'm not expecting any loaner cars and am looking into purchasing Chrysler's Alternate Transportation plan.
    Acutally after reading a few posts on the mofv.com/mygig/ website if I change my software to 9.112 I will lose the capibility of watching the DVD on the front LCD screen. The wife like this as she can watch movies on long trips. Plus I am not even 100% sure if the upgrade will resolve the audio issue anyways?
    I am with you, I used to drive VW exclusive. Since the family is expanding I made the move to Chrysler. Not quite the same service as VW on these issues. Mind you I would never expect these kinds of problems with VW products. The loaner car thing is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed], I just opt to using the curtosy shuttle, means alot of vehicle down time with all these minor service stops. As for their loaner program, I have a hard time spending any more money on these types of things. Where does it end.

bzhn why not just upgrade the MyGiG software yourself. Seems straight forward. and do you know if the software upgrade will resolve the problem for sure? The mofv.com/mygig site re posted the 8.4ver ((There is an issue with REN radios that have factory uconnect when upgrading beyond 8.400. Uconnect still works fine, but voice command button does not. )) So upgrading to the 9.112ver you need to be aware of this. Plus you can always go back to 8.4.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Acutally after reading a few posts on the mofv.com/mygig/ website if I change my software to 9.112 I will lose the capability of watching the DVD on the front LCD screen.

Be careful of which version your download. That 9.112 sounds like the one for MyGIG with nav. Your unit will say something like RER or REN on the front bottom right in tiny letters. Be sure and d/l the software update for the correct version. I can't access the unofficial MyGIG website here at work, so I'm just going by memory.

Also, on the DVD while moving, there apparently is ONE software version which works with some units that will let you watch a movie while in motion. If you update the software you'll lose that capability. I guess it's a trade-off if you'd rather deal with the occasional muted audio.

There are aftermarket products that you can purchase which will let you view a front seat movie while in motion but they're around $300. They will also let you use the touchpad keyboard while moving and a few other things.
    After second trip for service, the tech was able to locate the problem causing the loud clunk/metal sound when turning slowly all the way to left then back to right again.
    Here is what is written on my invoice: "Lower control arm hitting front backing plate...removed both front brake calipers and brake rotors. Remove front brake backing plate and grind off 3/4 inch from backing plate so will clear from hitting on turns."
    It has only been a few hours, but when I make the slow left turn into a parking space, all is quiet!
    Hope this helps someone else and I'll let you all know if the noise returns.
    My sliding doors also, have been working 100% since the upgrade to the software.
    The tech and service manager were not able to duplicate the whistling noise, but the mgr. suggested it may be that the windshield needs resealed. He even went for a ride with me, but of course the van did not whistle! Anyone else have their windshield resealed?
    Sounds exactly what was wrong with my van, however instead of grinding the backing plates they just adjusted and bent them into a better position.

I would expect Chrysler not to have an issue with this. Why are some vans having this problem? This is unacceptable for any new vehicle needing adjustments like this! :mad:
    According to www.mofv.com/mygig the 9.112ver is the latest for the REN MyGiG.
    9.111 was the prior. ( these versions are Not for Navigation systems)

However my question is, does upgrading from 8.4ver. ->9.112ver fix the radio muting issue?? :confuse:

The myGiG Lock Pick is the $300 aftermarket product I am guessing your reffering to. That is crazy money to spend for such minimal advantages. I think i am going to stick with the 8.4 software and see where things progress.
  • cpr6779cpr6779 Member Posts: 3
    kenspoptop-
    Just got my first ETC warning light (and check engine light) today on my '08 GC/3.8. I have had the car for about a month and have just over 1k miles on it. When I shut it off and turned it back on, the ETC warning light was no longer lit but the check engine light stayed illuminated. My gas mileage through town has been pretty poor this last tankful - around 12 MPG (so far we've gotten around 16 MPG in town). I'm not sure if they are related. Also, we got a lot of rain today (again, not sure if this is related to the problem.) I'll keep you posted on what I find out from the dealer (who unfortunately is only opened for service Monday thru Friday during hours I'm at work).
    Hopefully this is nothing major - we love the van so far, but this raises reliability questions.
  • chuchihcchuchihc Member Posts: 1
    Dear friends. I write in this forum for the first time. I live in Spain (Madrid). I recently bought a T&C (here called Grand Voyager) and previously owned a 2006 T&C. Everything fine except for the software issues and a the engine check lite.
    But for me there is a big issue with the suspension or sock absorvers. The problem is than I can not tume the tyre preasure to have a confortable ride. 2.5 psi (36 bar) recommended do generate a continuous oscilation in waved or not very flat roads. The oscilation can be felt from one side to anothe when the sock is in one side/tyre or from front to back in general. If I adjust the tyre presure higher the effect is lower but then every single thing on the road is felt like a kick. I adjusted to lower preasure the oscilation issues has higher effect.
    I do not remmember having this with the previous T&C or other car.
    Has anybody experienced this sensation? is really anoying. If so, or if you have any solution I would really appreciate any advice. I would like to hear is only my car issue and that has a solution. I do not thrust so much on my dealer service for this.

Thanks in advance. Regards from Spain.
    Sounds like you have a wheel imbalance or alignment issue. Tire Pressure unless drastically inflated or underinflated should not create the problem your describing. I would not adjust the tire pressure as 36 psi should be fine.
    I would recommend that you take your Van in to check the balance on all 4 tires, and get an alignment done. Since you have a brand new Van the dealership service department should be preforming these types of services free of charge. And doing a fully functional road test. If you do not trust that particular dealership it would be very wise to ensure you find a warrantee approved shop to preform any type of service. Even another Chrysler shop. If you do not do this you may void all warranties. ;)
  • tulsajtulsaj Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced a loud whistling noise when driving at Hwy speeds with a strong crosswind. It has been so loud that I can not drown it out with the stereo turned up very high. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • rjomrjom Member Posts: 21
    That happened to me, I brought it in, and they could not find anything. Even when they hooked it up to the computer. But apparently, they can tell by hooking it up everything that HAS happened so it would be worth a shot. Your mileage is relatively horrendous. I am averaging 22-25mpg combo suburban driving and highway. Even on the back roads I get a minimum of 21.5 mpg. On the highway at 55, I get 29 mpg! Everyone passes me, but with the price of gas now, I will just stay in the right lane. Equates to $5 tank savings. Driving at 65 mph I get about 22-23 mpg.
    Hi there. There are a couple of us with this issue. Use the "go to msg." spot and take a look at the following messages and the replies that have been posted: 214, 230, and 259.
    I had my van serviced about a week ago and they were unable to duplicate the whistle. The service manager even took a ride with me but of course it didn't whistle, even though it does it almost every time I drive! He said the windshield may need resealed. Stated that they had done that for one or two others experiencing the same issue, but said their's whistled constantly. Mine is from 40 mph+ but is not all the time. I'm thinking of having them reseal the windshield just to see if it takes care of it. We moved and then removed the roof rails, but that was not the cause for us as it has been for some. So that would be worth a try for you.
  • rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    Hi...
    ...I remember in the first year run of the current Honda Ody body style...'05's I think or '06's...they had a rash of poorly sealed windshields. Could be the culprit here as well in this first year of the model run.

Oh hey, let me ask, any takers on the $2.99 gas deal !?? I'm curious if it's worth the sign-up hassle, vs standard rebates, etc. Will the 4.0 run on 87 octane ??

Thanks !!
  • charless646charless646 Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problem with my 2008 Caravan...I noticed it just hours after taking delivery and have had it in for service 3 times already with no results...The windshield has been resealed...The side mirrors have been resealed...the passenger door has been adjusted and still the whistling noise from the windshield continues....I took a long ride on I-95 with the service manager on Wednesday and he said it was one of the weirdest things he has ever heard...He used masking tape to seal the windshield from the outside and that didn't work...As of now, my Caravan is back with the dealer....The tech is taking it home to to further diagnose the problem...They tried something else today but that didn't work either...The only good news is that they have been polite and they put me in an Enterprise Rent a Car....The Caravan is at Dependable Dodge in Vero Beach, Florida and the service manager is Mr. Joe Monticello...Check with him in a week and you may have your answer. Good Luck
    That is soo interesting. I will be very interested to hear what ends up happening with your whistling -- I sure would like to get rid of mine. In the driver's seat, the whistle sounds like it is coming from the upper front passenger side; from the passenger seat, it sounds like it is coming from the upper front driver's side! That is why the service manager at Maroone Chrysler in Coconut Creek, Florida said maybe my windshield needs resealed. But who knows since that didn't work for you. I had tried just moving the side mirrors, but that didn't help. Did you try the roof rails? Moving them to different positions and also completely removing them? That has fixed it for some -- not me though. Please post again after further service so we know what happens and good luck! Hopefully we can all get this taken care of! I do love my '08 Town and Country, just wish it didn't whistle!
  • baal0506baal0506 Member Posts: 1
    I sure would like to get rid of my whistling as well. I have 08 Dodge Grand Caravan and the dealer had it for 2 days and resealed everything they could think of but still a whistle. They currently have another 08 Dodge in the shop that they started working on today and they will let me know if they did anything different to theirs that fixed the problem.

I am very interested to find out what the mechanics in these other states find out. I am in Kansas.

I was looking at my dodge yesterday and I was just curious if the plastic piece that is under the windshield wipers and under the hood that has rubber thing that goes on the windshield could be allowing air to get up underneth that and makes the whistle? I looked at mine and it doesn't seem to be very tight. Just a thought.
    Well, as time goes on we see that we are not alone with the whistle! I am confident that someone somewhere will locate the problem and we'll all get rid of it!!

I just went and checked out the plastic piece you referred to -- it is quite flimsy on my van too...makes me also wonder if that could be it.

Hopefully, everyone will stay in touch thru this great forum and we'll find our answer. Sure wish the service managers and technicians would read these posts -- maybe it would be helpful.
    Well, as time goes on we see that we are not alone with the whistle! I am confident that someone somewhere will locate the problem and we'll all get rid of it!!

Guys, that's a deer whistle. JC Whitney auto parts sells them as an aftermarket item that you attach to the inside of your grill. As you drive along the wind rushes through the device and causes it to whistle. The pitch has been laboratory tested to the exact tone that will make a deer run the other way instead of in front of your minivan.

Other people pay extra for these things but they are now included in selected Chrysler and Dodge minivans for free. ;)

And if you believed that I have some swampland in Florida...

Seriously, I hope there's a common cause for all the whistling and that someone finds and publishes the fix for it soon.

BTW, anyone with one of the whistling minivans ever have a deer run out in front of you?
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    You might want to verify that mpg readout with a calculator a few times. I recently bought a Sebring and I've found the mpg display to be about 1 mpg less than what I'm actually getting. I almost always wait until the low fuel light comes on before refueling.

Thats ok when the vehicle is fairly new, but wouldn't let it get that low on fuel as you keep it. Your fuel pump is in the gas tank and over time the tank will build up crap in it. You don't want that stuff settling in your fuel pump. It's expensive to change.
    Good luck to you. I hope you hear no whistling on your trip! Let us know...
    Huh? I think you replied to a message of mine by mistake... ">
  • astockleyastockley Member Posts: 3
    Two weeks to three week road trip...still the noise! Some improvement: Now it squeals mostly after 60+ mph but inconsistently. When it is consistent...yeowch! Rolled down window while driving...can hear noise outside of van, too (not just interior). We removed the antennae (why for $33,000 it is not retractable or in the windshield, I don't know...). Designed with swirls to avoid wind noise, but this helped--DID NOT eliminate the noise, but lessened the volume a little bit to more tolerable pitches. Going in on Mon. to dealership with these posts printed out so they see it's not just us (keep saying, "we don't see other complaints in the system"). I'll ask about windshield sealer and make them check racks again (they didn't last time b/c they wanted one thing at a time...when? one per month?). Enough is enough! Not even loud volumes of Spongebob Squarepants covers this annoyance! I'll be sure to post again the findings. Good luck to you all as the quest continues! (We're in Louisiana, but will be in OK, KS, IA, IL, WI, MO this summer! Fhew! In-laws live in Tulsa!)
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    Some vans can create wind nose by the luggage rack on top. The salesmen recommended to me, to move the front cross bars towards the back if I got wind noise.
    I have heard that too. We tried moving the front bar back and that didn't help, then we removed them both and that didn't work either. But it has worked for some so it is definitely worth trying!
  • rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    ...c'mon folks...Every van I've owned has produced some sort of wind noise. You guys are up against a different animal. Don't let them gingerly talk you into thinking it's the roof rack or the mirrors. Yes, check all those sources out. BUT, be vigilant ! IF what you're hearing is different AND annoying, don't let the service reps distract you from laying claim to a true problem !! Everyone that produces a product has to make it right with the buyer. They will, but they'll wriggle and moan about it a bit... :surprise:
  • benniegbennieg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Dodge van also. When the weather turned hot in Tennessee in May, I noticed a loud whistling noise coming from under the dash only when driving above 65 mph and only when the outside temperature is above 80 F. The dealer could not find the problem and referred me to a body shop. I have not had time to take it in yet. It is still under warranty with about 12,000 miles. I did some troubleshooting myself with no answers. It occurs with the air conditioning off and does not matter what position the vents are in. It doesn't matter whether the windows or shut or cracked open. The same is true with the doors. I even tried taping over I the door seams and the mirrors on the outside and that did not eliminate the noise. I have taped over several access holes under the hood and tried stuffing rages in voids where I thought air might enter with no results. I did confirm (I drive alot in my service work) that it only happens when the temperature is hot. Driving in cooler states for several days at high speeds in windy conditions at temperatures about 60 F produced no noise. The same driving in Tennessee at 85 F temperature produces a high pitched, variable whistling noise that can be heard over the radio. It is very annoying. I have sat in the passenger seat with someone else driving and with the glove box removed to try and hear where the noise was coming from, Most of the time it sounds like it's from under the glove box, but sometimes it sounds like it's below the steering column. The dealer said it was not the cabin air filter and I believe he is right. I think it is coming from under the car somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. When I get behind a semi on the highway, the noise subsides, confirming to me that it is air entering somewhere. I'm glad others are having this issue, as it may help find a solution.
  • themagicianthemagician Member Posts: 5
    We just purchased a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. We only have 500 miles on it. This weekend when traveling down the PA Turnpike I noticed this annoying high pitch frequency sound. I turned off the air-condition, radio and noticed the noise was still there. I noticed the noise only appears when you drive over 55 mph. I checked all the vents, windows and can not find what is causing this. I think it may be the windshield but I am not sure. I am glad to see others are also having this problem as I thought I was just hearing things. I am going to take the van back to the dealer this week since we just purchased it. This may fall into the lemon law if they can not fix this problem. I will let you know what the dealer says. Should of purchased a Honda!
  • charless646charless646 Member Posts: 6
    Guys:

We are all having this problem as it's a factory defect on this first year model. I have to drive the thing several hundred miles on I-95 every week and the whistling makes me completrely insane. I first noticed it about an houir after I took delicvery and have had it in for service 4 times already and the problem has yet to be fixed....I am bringing it back to service on Tuesday and if they don't fix the problem, I'm filing a complaint with the State of Florida Lamon Law for the purchase price of the vehicle to be returened...Dodge is well aware of this problem and they are ignoring it....I have read two car reviews on this vehicle, one from Forbes, and they both mention the whistle. I will let you know where I get with the 5th service and the Florida Lemon Law. Incidentally, the whistle becomes much worse as the tempature rises and the windshield becomes heated so the complaints will continue to roll in as it gets warmer in all the northern states.
  • themagicianthemagician Member Posts: 5
    I agree this is a factory defect on these 2008 Dodge Grand Caravans. Let's keep in touch on this issue as we can all help each other out if we need to invoke the lemon law. All our issues will either force Dodge to fix the problem or we will fall file suite. I am afraid this is a body design flaw, where the windshield meets the hood right where the windshield wipers are. Did the dealer ever replace the windshield molding when you had it in for service?
    Hi all. I have an '08 Town and Country that whistles...the dealer did not check where the windshield meets the hood but another person in this forum mentioned it. I checked it on mine and it sure is a flimsy piece of molding! Maybe that is it. I live in southeast Florida -- always high temps -- always whistling. We all must stay in touch to get this solved.
    I'm just curious if a dealer or owner has ever put something like masking tape over this window/hood area and taken it for a test drive to see if the whistling is still there.
  • skogieskogie Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my new Caravan. Mine starts at 70mph when the temp is over 80. Something that "helps" with mine is turning the air conditioner so that it blow through the defrost. High fan and as cold as it will go usually will make it stop after a few minutes. I don't consider this a solution, just a work around.
  • tinitustinitus Member Posts: 11
    Our 2008 Caravan whistled the day we drove it home. Strong winds make it worse and can bring loud whistling in stereo from the windshield at only 45 mph. It is loud and intolerable. Duct tape along the sides (vertical) where the glass meets the molding stopped the whistle when we were on a 3 hour trip. The Dodge service dept. in Killeen, TX described it as a design flaw and claims to have fixed several (with silicone or similar substance), but told me they had not notified the manufacturer of this defect. I should not have to duct tape a brand new car! We'll see if they can fix my windshield- I'm taking it in tomorrow. I too will expect a refund if this continues!
    Good Luck tomorrow! Please keep us posted as we all await the outcome of your service visit. My 2008 Town and Country has done it since day 2 and begins at 40 mph and up. The whistle stops immediately upon letting off the gas, then starts again upon accelerating! Service dept. and manager in Coconut Creek, Florida unable to duplicate the whistle but svc. manager did say they had resealed a couple windshields and it worked...Guess I'll have to try that. I am so glad I'm not alone in this. Keep us posted!