Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan

Comments

• samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    This is part of a report from Detroit News - Mentioning some plans of the minivans future, including V6 engine update, plus electric engines.

"Plans include an electric minivan, with lithium-ion batteries in the second-row cargo wells. Chrysler showed a prototype in September, along with an electric Dodge sports car and a Jeep Wrangler EV. The minivan is an "extended-range" vehicle that can run 40 miles on battery alone, with a small gasoline engine to extend that range to about 400 miles. One of the three will be on the road next year as a 2010, the rest a year later, said Doug Quigley, product engineer with ENVI, Chrysler's electric vehicle division. If validation proves the minivan is "most robust soonest," it will lead the charge. GM's extended range Chevrolet Volt is slated for sale in November 2010.

An electric minivan would supersede plans for a hybrid minivan, said Frank Klegon, executive vice president of product development.

Another upgrade is replacing the aging V-6 engines with the new Phoenix family of more efficient six-cylinders due in 2010. Despite rumors to the contrary, the Phoenix program is on track. Some test minivans have been built with the new engine, said Larry Lyons, vice president of the product team, and last month president Jim Press said he was driving a vehicle with one of the new V-6s..."
  • sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    Anyone experience a groaning noise when you first start your van on very cold days coming from the far rear of the vehical. It has been close to -40 here and this noise can be quite loud inside my GC SXT 08' until things warm up. I am not sure if it is the transmission or what exactly. Other than that the van has been working well. I am guessing most people are having a positive experince as the forum has crawled to a hault.
    I found the rumbling noise. The exhaust muffler had a huge amount of ice and snow built up around it. When I first started the van the muffler would vibrate as per normal and rub up against the ice and cause a horrible noise. Until the muffler heated up to melt the snow and ice around it then it would stop. I had to use a chisel and hammer to remove it all but it seems good now.
    Todays engines are much more advanced that years ago, and most require an oil change between 5,000 to 7,500 miles. I also know that if driving in harsh environments, like very cold, hot, or short trips, calls for more often changes.

But still, I am surprised that my T&C (message center) tells me "Oil change required" every 2,500 miles or less! I already have almost 12,000 miles, and I have about 65% local and the rest highway mile, and live in NY where temperatures are mostly not extreme. So why do I need to change it that often???
    I experience the same problem with my 08' GC SXT. Everyone thinks that myself or the dealership forgets to reset the oil change light at the oil change. But this isnt the case and it always comes on way to early. I have just decided to live with it and ignore the beep at start up. I think there is a way to reset it with the key and gas pedal in a particular sequence.
  • rakammrakamm Member Posts: 7
    Yeah if you read in your manual it will tell you how to reset it with the gas pedal!! I had to do it twice cause I don't think my dealers know how. But anyways its really easy to do and doesn't take long!
  • timothyftimothyf Member Posts: 40
    Anyone have instructions on how to change the front brake pads on a 2008 T&C Limited?
  • atcmmgcatcmmgc Member Posts: 4
    There seems to still be 1 or 2 people reading this, so i'm going to ask/complain to you 2. I have an early build(10/08) SXT 3.8 with 4,600 miles and this thing can't get above 16mpg to save it's life. I drive 80% in town so I don't expect much better, but you can practically watch the needle go down. I don't drive it hard at all because its been so bad. On top of that I think the average MPG meter is optimistic. What kind of MPG is everyone else getting? I've checked all the obvious things, tire pressure,etc. In fact I'm over inflating by 2psi just try and get more. I had an 2005 with the 3.8 that routinely got 18-19 in town, so I expected more from the 6 speed.
    What else, oh Anyone else have numerous squeaks,rattles from rear windows and plastic pieces? I also have those pull up sun shades in the rear doors and windows and they rattle up or down. I've found 4 different screws, nuts and plastic clips that have fallen off different areas, but none seem related to my noises. Can't wait until the things they used to hold start rattlling. What am I saying? I guess I miss my 2005, that van was well built, this one not at all. Well let me know how well yours is screwed together. The bright side in all of this is I got one of the last Chrysler Leases, I only have to drive this junker 2 more years. I hope gas doesn't go back to 4 bucks any time soon. :lemon: :lemon:
  • rjomrjom Member Posts: 21
    My driving habits are a bit different than yours. I live in a rural area, not a city. When not on a highway, just driving around town, stop signs etc. my mileage indicator sticks around 19; combination with highway is about 21.5 mpg. My highway mileage is at 23-26mpg. Have you done any highway driving to guage your range og mpg? I leave the mpg indicator on on the dash to observe my driving/gas pedal habits.

Re noises and squeeks, I have been lucky. I do not have any rattles. The only problem I have had with this model is that the automatic doors sometimes need two clicks or more to finally close. Happens about 1 in 10 times, usually if the car is on a downward slope when parked.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    The 3.8 engine is noted for not getting the better MPG, compared to the newer 4.L engine. The hp and the torque is less than the 4.L With most of the driving being intown and the size and weight of the TC 16 mpg might not bee to bad. I have a Pacifica Touring AWD with the 6 speed auto, and the 4.l engine. The weight is almost 4,700 lbs and we get 18 to 21 in town and 22 to 25 on the open road. We always get less mpg in the winter, perhaps this might be part of the 16 mpg you get. From what I have read and heard the 3.5 L and the 4.L engines are the better ones to have, but that's no good for your situation now. Hope this is informative. farout
  • macusermacuser Member Posts: 23
    Sorry to hear of all your problems. I too had an 05 Dodge SXT w/NO problems to complain about. Sliding door motor was replaced once under warranty, then OK. My main gripe was re the back-up indicator. I had to rely on the lights (which was great), but I never knew there was sound until my brother told me. I asked the dealer to make it louder and was told there was no adjustment. Earlier 2008 I started searching for a Chrysler Touring in Inferno Red, with a tan interior, After many months finally found one 4 hours away, and tried negotiating for several more months. Afraid of loosing it, I finally gave in and bought it. They didn't want to hear about all my findings on this site re prices.

Got it the end of Aug 08 and have 8,000 miles on it already, I LOVE IT! and I'm happy to report that I don't have any of your problems. Using the computer on board it says I get around 18-19 mpg driving locally, and 23-25 on I-81 going 70 mph. I'm very pleased with mine. Only wish I could have gotten the Signature (or is it Special Edition?) with more options and better pricing. Didn't because it is not available with tan interior and that was a requirement for me. Love the MyGIG and have had no problems with it, as some reported; however, I don't have the navigation system. I have a Garmin which is great and a lot less expensive.

Try figuring your MPG manually...is it possible that the "computer" is not working correctly? Whatever it is, the mileage is very poor and I would continue to bug the dealer to find a reason and correct it! GOOD LUCK!
    Thanks all for the quick replies, I wish I had gotten the 4.0 considering how bad the mileage with 3.8 is. At least i would have some power to play with. The 3.8 is kind of a dog. Any engine of that size that makes less than 200 hp is a bit of an engineering embaressment. I filled up the tank today computer said 15.5 mpg, when the gas pump kicks off i can always put in another 1/2 gallon so i usually do, after that i did the calculation on paper and it worked out to 15mpg so maybe computer is ok. On gas mileage being worse in winter, I agree and i live in MN(it's been below zero for 100 hours or something like that), but it was'nt much better when it was warm outside. I got it at the end of July. I've had one oil change and the dealer receipt says they used 5w30 oil, I'll bug them to use 5w20 next time maybe that would help a little. Don't you love it when the dealership can't even put the right oil in their own cars? Thanks all lets keep chatting
    Geez, don't know where you live, but around here (st.paul,mn) by Aug 08 they were give huge discounts on any model, color,etc. Now even more of course. I wish I had waited a few months for a better deal and a better built van.
  • wzman1wzman1 Member Posts: 8
    The sticker on my 2008 SXT (4.0 Liter engine) said city mileage was estimated 16 mpg. Sounds like you're right on that value. We've done as well, but often see 12-13 mpg on the trip computer for city driving. Most daily trips in this van are 4 miles or less with frequent stop signs and traffic lights; lot's of idle time. My wife has also become quite fond of the remote start feature in winter and summer. In winter she sometimes starts the car as much as 15 minutes before departure to defrost the car, then drives a 4 mile trip to take kids to school. I'm guessing she's using a half gallon of fuel to warm up the car - that really hurts the mileage.
    Wow, I understand you very well. I have similar problems with my T&C with the 4.0L engine. It might get some better mileage (actually just one MPG up - not a big deal), but it does have more power, but it's also extremely noisy when pushed hard, and sounds very unrefined. But it's a shame that Chrysler does not offer that engine only on top of the line models, while with the imports you get more powerful and more refined and fuel efficient engines even in base models.

On the highway I actually get good mileage, it once went over 25 MPG when traveling speed 50-55. But my local mileage is bad, Computer says something like 11 MPG, but I use my remote starter a lot, especially in the frozen cold weather, so maybe this is the reason here.

I also started to get painfully bad rattles from my rear end, the liftgate area. Of course my dealer was "unable to duplicate the problem". I am already sick and tired of the dealers never finding anything. As of now, I have terrible squeaks & rattles, especially when going over bumps or potholes, and severely vibrating and knocking from the rear when in reverse. Although not always - I usually have it when it rains or it snows. Also, when I am in reverse and listening to the radio, I hear an annoying sound in the background of the radio.

To sum up, I feel this van is just falling apart. I was in love when I got my van, but now - sorry Chrysler - I think that's it with Chrysler. I just wish any importer should have the multimedia options Chrysler offers....
  • jeffs72jeffs72 Member Posts: 6
    My van had a terrible rattle coming from the back. It would occur when I was backing up, sitting at a light, and driving at speed. Some days it was much worse than others. I discovered it was the muffler rattling. I then discovered that there is a service bulletin about this. It's easy to check yourself. When the car is running and making the noise, put on a very heavy glove and hold the tailpipe with your hand (the tailpipe will be very hot, make sure you have on a heavy glove). If the rattle stops, you've found the problem and can tell the dealer what's going on.

For the mileage, cars get the worse mileage on short trips. Mileage also gets worse in the winter, with or without the remote start. So, if you are in the cold northern areas (as I am), you will see your mileage improve as the weather improves.
  • jeffuhdejeffuhde Member Posts: 10
    Anyone seen this one yet? The grey paint on the dash portion just below the radio on our T&C is scraping off just below the radio. Black plastic underneath is showing through. Have had the van 8 months/15k miles now. Just wondering....
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I've been a big fan of Caravan's over the years, as I've had 4 of them. Currently, I have a 2006 Grand SXT.

Last week while on Vacation, I drove a 2009 T&C rental for 8 days. While it was somewhat stripped compared to my current van, I was very disappointed, and wonder if I am alone in my opinion.

Overall, I the new van did not feel as solid as my current van, did not ride as quiet as my 2006, and got much worse gas mileage. I tend to get 25-26 on the highway with my 3.8 Grand Caravan. On my rental, I only averaged 20, which mostly consisted of Highway travel in FLA. Even on smooth roads, the road noise was more intrusive than with my 2006.

The new van had about 8000 miles on it, so I don't think the poor mileage was due to not being broken in.

A few other comments...the position of the inside door handle on the sliding doors of new van is less convenient, as is the inside grip on the rear hatch. I did like the interior styling a bit better on the new model, particulary on the dash and steering wheel. The new position of the gear shift is interesting, but not a plus or minus.

Am I alone in thinking that the new model is a step back from the prior version?
  • rjomrjom Member Posts: 21
    I suppose it depends on what model and bells and whistles you had, and what 2009 model you have. I have had Caravans since they first came out in 1984. I think there are similiarities with all models with the ride. I happen to like it. I am also tall, 6'4" so I need the room, even though the kids have long gone. My mileage on my 2008 SXT is actually better than my 2004 SXT. I get 25 to 26 straight higwhay, and a consistent 21.5 mpg combined highway, back roads. My 2008 SXT is packed with features I never had. The MYGIG is my favorite new bell and whistle. So many options with that.. makes driving a pleasure. I have been very happy with mine. I have not had the problems some others have had with windshield whistles or rattles. I have about 30,000 miles after one year of driving, and am very satisfied with it. So, of all the Caravans I have had, 84, 87, 92, 95, 2002, and 2004, I like this one best.
  • maguymaguy Member Posts: 13
    I just wanted to write in for anyone researching the T&C as to the very positive experience I have had thus far. I have a 2008 T&C that I have had for exactly one year. The van has no rattles, squeaks, and overall has been flawless. The only exception is the brakes (like everyone else) and they were replaced before 12K miles under warranty. The van is quiet, smooth, and so versatile. This is my first domestic vehicle, and it is running just as when new. Looks it too.
  • mharnischmharnisch Member Posts: 11
    I just started getting a malfunction indicator light coming on and staying on. I would like to see if there are any codes in the computer. Does anyone know the procedure for doing this myself?
  • joepeterson56joepeterson56 Member Posts: 95
    :sick: 2000 T&C LXi, 3.8 ltr, AWD, 87,000 miles as of yesterday. All filters clean, all plugs, wires & connections good. No Air or fuel leaks to be found anyplace on vehicle. Mileage suddenly down to 9.8 mpg ! Used to get between 13.5 and 26 mpg. Anyone have any ideas as to cause and or correction, or is this the best I can hope for at this point?? :confuse: :mad: :cry:
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    One of the front O2 sensors (ahead of the catalytic converter)?

Is the CEL on? Did you try pulling the OBD-II codes?

Did the poor gas mileage start all of a sudden, or has in gotten worse over time?

Yeah, 9.8 mpg is pretty bad, even for city driving.
    I'm sorry, I forgot to say, no lights on for codes,no codes at all in system. I check for them regularly when I do any work on it or have a problem, as I do NOT trust any idiot lights! Runs smooth and steady, no loss of power, just the worst ,ileage of anything I ever owned! It has decreased pretty steadily, but this is the worts. I filled it the other night, drove 5.8 miles right after fill up, got in it the a day and a half later, and it was down an 1/8 th of a tank and checked the readout and couldn't believe it. No leaks anywhere, and no fumes either. I am stumped!
    This is a repost of an earlier posting I made regarding lousey gas mileage. I did get 1 response(thank you srs_49), but what he had mentioned, were things I already checked, and that was my fault for leaving out some information in this earlier post.
    :confuse: :sick:
    I am just curious to see how many others are having this same problem, and would love to see some other postings of mpg numbers. I am also hoping that be reposting this as a new topic, it will get more exposure and interest, since not everyone reads all posts on all subjects, and that someone will have some suggestions for me as to what may be the cause or what I may do to try to improve the milage because in 40 yrs or working on cars, I am completely stumped.

2000 T&C LXi, 3.8 ltr, AWD, 87,000 miles as of yesterday. All filters clean, all plugs, wires & connections good. No Air or fuel leaks to be found anyplace on vehicle. Mileage suddenly down to 9.8 mpg ! Used to get between 13.5 and 26 mpg. Anyone have any ideas as to cause and or correction, or is this the best I can hope for at this point??

#477 of 478 Re: Reall low MPG [joepeterson56] by srs_49 Mar 05, 2009 (10:44 am) Save | Reply
    Replying to: joepeterson56 (Mar 05, 2009 10:29 am)
    One of the front O2 sensors (ahead of the catalytic converter)?
    Is the CEL on? Did you try pulling the OBD-II codes?
    Did the poor gas mileage start all of a sudden, or has in gotten worse over time?
    Yeah, 9.8 mpg is pretty bad, even for city driving.

Replies to this message:
    joepeterson56 (Mar 05, 2009 11:22 am)

#478 of 478 Re: Reall low MPG [srs_49] by joepeterson56 Mar 05, 2009 (11:22 am) Save | Reply
    Replying to: srs_49 (Mar 05, 2009 10:44 am)
    I'm sorry, I forgot to say, no lights on for codes,no codes at all in system. I check for them regularly when I do any work on it or have a problem, as I do NOT trust any idiot lights! Runs smooth and steady, no loss of power, just the worst mileage of anything I ever owned! It has decreased pretty steadily, but this is the worts. I filled it the other night, drove 5.8 miles right after fill up, got in it the a day and a half later, and it was down an 1/8 th of a tank and checked the readout and couldn't believe it. No leaks anywhere, and no fumes either, and tires always properly inflated. I am stumped! By the way, as a side not because I have seen other posting on the tire inflation subject, I called the manufacturer of my tires because I didn't like the ride after they were put on, and they said all tires on the C/D minivans should be filled and ran at about 39lbs all the time for improved tire handling, wear, ride and gas mileage purposes. I never heard that before, but it was right from the manufacturer's tech support line.
  • krisboriskrisboris Member Posts: 2
    I have only had my 2007 T&C minivan for 1 week. I filled it up a couple of days ago and I can see the indicator dropping rapidly. I am so disappointed. I live on a small island, so I don't have far to drive. I got this van because of the low price, but now I see that I wil be paying for it in gas money! I had a T&C several years ago and had nothing but problems. I have also had a Toyota Sienna for three years and never had a problem with it. I would have loved to have gotten another one, but couldn't afford it. Glad to see I am not the only one who notices the lousy gas mileage. Mine is also a shorter body version so I thought it would be better on gas. Like you, I should have it paid off in two years. Then I will be able to trade it in on a Toyota lease.
    How bad is your gas mileage???
    I had to leave my Chrysler Town & Country at the mechanic for a day for many repair issues (and still need to bring it back for more repairs, all under warranty. Wow), and I got a rental for that day – a Kia Sedona minivan. At first I was kinda unhappy, because, you know, it’s a “KIA”.

Well, after driving it for one day, I must say I am very impressed! It is SO MUCH BETTER than my Chrysler van, that I was shocked. Sure, in terms of features and entertainment, the Chrysler wins hands down. But other than that, I must applause Kia/Hyundai. I got an LX Sedona, a bare-bones model, with no extra features, just the basics.

To start the comparison, let me state that I have the Limited version of the Town & Country, which have the more powerful 4.0L engine (251 hp) and a 6-speed transmission, as apposed to the 5-speed only on the Sedona, which also has a 3.8L, 250 hp engine (across the line, BTW, not only in top models). But the Sedona was so much better at takeoff, it felt briskly and ready to go, while my truck-like Town & Country feels much more sluggish. Leave alone the engine noise – the Sedona has a quieter, much more refined sound when accelerating, while the Town & Country has a harsh-sounding engine which would rather suite for a truck.

The ride on smooth roads is quite similar, but on bumps or potholes, the Sedona WINS - BIG TIME! It takes’em so much better. The handling of the Sedona is also superior to the Town & Country. The Sedona feels almost sporty when compared to the Town & Country, it feels lighter, almost car-like, the steering feel is better, and the steering wheel is much smaller which enhance the driving experience. (The Town & Country has a H-U-G-E thick steering wheel which would also rather suite for a truck.)

Overall, the Sedona feels much more refined that the Town & Country, in most every aspect. The controls feel more precise, even small things, like the signal lever, and even the signal clicks. Controls are up high within easy reach, while in my Town & Country I have to bend down below my knees for some A/C controls. Everything is lighted, even the ignition key ring insert, the glove box, etc. It has the windshield wiper de-icer – a feature Chrysler had it first on minivans, but they dropped it to save some money, and companies like Kia picked it up instead. What a shame.

Again, The Town & Country has its own pros, it’s much nicer executed in many ways, much more luxurious, and more exciting gauge cluster and entertainment options, but the driving experience is not even close to the Sedona.

I am still shocked.
  • maguymaguy Member Posts: 13
    Sorry to hear your T&C is in the shop. I have a 2008 and I have to say it has been a very, very reliable car after 14,000 trouble free miles. Nothing has gone wrong and we have not had one squeak.

Didn't you test drive any other vans before deciding on Chrysler? I test drove Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai before buying mine. It seems like nobody takes their cars for test drives before buying them.
    I actually chose the Town & Country because I had a Dodge Caravan before, which have been much better than the new one, I wanted the stow'n'go seats, which was very important for me, and I must give credit to Chrysler for this innovation.

Never did I thought that the new one will be worse than the predecessor. My lease was up with the old one at the same time when the new one was released, and I had no source to check any reviews, only the "new features" which Chrysler added, and sounded very exciting. Many features I did not want but there was no choice, I could only get them that way or wait another few months for a custom-built model. I knew I will hate the power 3rd row seats. Who needs it? Now it gives me the hell. Every day new problems. It does not act like it supposed to. Squeaks and rattles all over the van like crazy. All passengers, included my own kids, keep questioning me if I am sure this is a new van??...

I am sure that it's because it's a first year model, and in a year or 2 most problems will be corrected - with the exception of the engine refinement, ride and handling, which needs a major makeover. I hope that Chrysler see their situation today, and will learn the hard way - and in the end, release better products.
    Well, after driving several other brands of van, including the Kia, I still feel my 2006 grand STX has them beat. More solid, more power, better fuel real world fuel economy (3.8L), and the Stow and Go is the icing on the cake. The Odyssey is nicer looking, but the more solid feel of the caravan, the lower price, and the stow and go make me pick the Caravan. I do feel the 3.3L engine, while adequate, is not enough engine.

I tried a sedona on a recent trip, and it felt very sluggish and stodgy...a bit like the 90's era grand caravan. The highway fuel economy was about 3 MPG less than my 3.8. The only good thing I can say about the Sedona is that it rode better than the Kia Amanti, which is supposedly a luxury car.

Does anyone here have an opinion about the new chrysler 4.0L vs the 3.8?

I just passed 66K and other than a leaking rack, the van has been flawless.

Note: I just replaced the factory Bridgestone's with Cooper CS4's. What a difference in feel and road noise!
    And see, I bought a used 2007 DGC last year and have over 43,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems. The only thing that's been replaced/repaired, except for consumables such as oil and filters, has been the front pads at 40,000 miles. I seriously considered a used Odyssey but, 1) I had good luck (10 years and 174,000 miles on out '94 DC) and 2) a comparable year and mileaged Odyssey would have been $5K+ more than the DGC.

People's experiences with Chrysler/Dodge minivans seem to be all over the map.
    Look, I also had a 2005 Grand Caravan, which was definitely better than my 2008 Town & Country. Not in terms of features, but handling, and some other minor things, was a bit better. IMO Chrysler took a step backwards with the new design. Also, entry/exit is more difficult due to being much taller for some reason.

What I meant to say, that I never expected the Kia to feel so much lighter, faster, better bump absorbing, less body lean, easier controls, than my once-beloved Town & Country. But it did. And that was my shock. Hyundai/Kia are improving with giant steps. And Chrysler?????

Anyway, we're not into comparisons here, but I just wanter to air out my feelings, my thoughts... That's all. Back to the Chrysler Town & Country........
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    I agree; from what I read here, the experiences are all over the map. I think that points to poor quality control in the factories, but it also does not mean everyone buying a Chrysler van is destined for hardship. There will be some folks on either extreme, and most right down or near the middle.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    While I kinda agree with that statement, I think the Caravan has a worse than deserved reputation due to some quality problems from 1984-1998. Since then it has been much more reliable. My family had 1986, 1989, and 1991 models. All had more issues than normal. Since then, I've had a 1998 Grand Sport (Good until it hit 8 years old at 140,000 miles, when tranny went out, 2000 Grand Sport (perfect for the 2 years 80,000 miles I had it), 2002 Grand Sport (perfect for the 2 years, 75,000 I had it), 2006 Grand STX (only had a problem with power door locks).

My Mother still has a 2002 Caravan Sport which has also been flawless. Two close friends each drive a Grand STX or T&C Touring which also have been flawless in the 2 years they've owned them. I know these are just anecdotes, but the truth is that you rarely hear the success stories. I don't blame people for complaining when they get a lemon, but I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater either. I just hope Chrysler hangs on, because the Caravan is their only vehicle that reigns supreme in it's market segment, and I hope to keep buying them.
  • drewdldrewdl Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out what this rattle was? I have a 2008 Dodge Caravan, and when it rains, I have a horrible rattle in the rear. It usually happens as I am coming to a stop, or when turning left, but it only happens when it rains???
    I complained to my dealer. I think there is a service bulletin for the muffler rattle. They replaced it (it took them a week waiting for the replacement part to arrive) and I think it's now better. In yesterdays rain I did only once felt it slightly, but otherwise was good during the day.
    I have an 08 SXT 3.8, now has 7,300 miles. Changed oil at local tire place around 6,000 miles from 5w-30 to 5w-20 this time as dealership is to lazy to carry the proper oil. In town mileage increased to about 16 right away and engine seems to rev a little better. Took a rare highway trip and mileage indicator was reading 24-25mpg. so I guess it can get decent higway mileage but i drive mostly in town. Got home drove the last 3/4 of tank in town and ended up at 18.6mpg. I don't know if I'm happy with that or pissed off. On a side note I had a Sedona for a few hours the other day and in most respects its way ahead of the Dodge. Better ride, much better acceleration(it loves to rev) and mostly nicer interior materials, quieter engine,etc. I need a minivan and want to buy american, but IMO any of the imports are a better long term bet. Face it the only real thing the dodge/chrysler have going for them is stow-n-go and price. You can buy a Sedona pretty darn cheap too though. The squeaks,rattles continue. Only 17 months to go on my lease Yay. I wonder who I'll turn it in to when all the dodge dealers are out of business by then? :lemon:
  • samster820samster820 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2008 GC SXT early build (10/08). It has lots of great features, but has had plenty of problems:

- Power doors open back up just as they hit the closed position. Dealer has upgraded software several times and it still happens every week or so. Quite a security issue--we've returned to the car a couple of times to find the door open since we don't always stick around to watch it close. Has anyone heard of a definitive fix for this?

- MyGig freezes with no sound, can't adjust volume. Seems to have been fixed by latest software upgrade (fingers crossed).

- Rear hatch shock sticky, so it doesn't open all the way and then won't power close. Dealer is replacing on next visit.

- Loud whine from rear at highway speeds. I found that gently pressing the brake at speed several times clears the noise. Will have dealer check rear brakes next visit.

All the bells and whistles are nice when they work. The Backseat TV is great. Stow 'n go is fantastic. No other minivan was able to get rid of 2nd row seats so neatly. 4.0L Engine is powerful but noisy.

GPS is fine, but the fact that you can't use it while driving makes it virtually useless. If I'm driving and need to find nearest gas or food, I don't want to have to pull over to do it. Does anyone know if the dealer can override this?

Is there a list of all dealer-programmable settings for the GC on the web somewhere? I couldn't find anything via Google.

I was able to get the Chrysler lifetime warranty when I bought the car, so if they can stay in business, I won't have to pay for repairs ($50 deductible), but overall the car has been very disappointing in quality, despite having many good features. Make sure you get all the SW upgrades.
  • joejr303joejr303 Member Posts: 3
    The window work fine. Problem is when the window is in the down position,and then use the auto/express feature the window goes up and then goes back down. Happened 6 times in 2 months. Dealer could never get it to happen when they have the car.

Has any one else had this problem??

Thanks
  • wzman1wzman1 Member Posts: 8
    Wife and I own a 2008 Grand Caravan SXT, 4.0. Had opportunity this week to rent a Kia Sedona LX while travelling, and had high hopes based on your comparison. I'm afarid I can't agree with any of your observations. The only way the Kia bested our own Dodge was in sticker price. We liked power,handling,ride, appointments, etc, in our Dodge better than the Kia.
  • kkellnkkelln Member Posts: 8
    Hi; There is a fix for the MyGig. Please note that most other makers of minivans do the same thing and limit the nav and entertainment system function for the front seat while the vehicle is at speed.

Here is a link to the product: http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm
    Copy and paste it in your browser address bar. Scroll down a bit and watch the demonstration video. As you will see, ALL factory options are unlocked. So, while driving, you can now use all nav features, watch a movie, or even view the backup camera.

If you are impressed, go to ebay and search for MYGIG LOCK PICK. You can usually find it on there for quite a bit cheaper than ordering direct from the maker. Finally, there are other products out there too, but this is generally the one most recommended. BE CAREFUL ON EBAY. There are several knock-off -look exactly the same but are not LOCK PICK brand and I can not vouch for how well they work (or do not work).

Hope this helps!
    Kirk
    There are some pretty spanky accessories available for the 08 and 09 T&C and GC so I thought we should compile a list and maybe share some information about where to buy and reviews of the products. Maybe we could nest the reviews and sources in responses so that the list of accessories stays tight. Just a thought. I will start out the list with a few MUST HAVES for every proud T&C owner:

1. MyGig Lockpick. This little devil box turns off all the My Gig safety features. Now you can watch movies (including auxiliary and VES sources), use all navigation features (including address search), and even watch the backup camera - all while driving! For more information on this product visit the following link (or google Mygig lockpick), scroll down and watch the demo video - you will love it: link title

2. Weathertech Floor Liner. These puppies are made of slightly rigid plastic that still has a grippyness of rubber. The are digitally molded to fit over almost every inch of carpet and hang just a little over the door trim. So, you get nearly perfect protection for your carpets. Plus they have color matched to all production interior options! They are expensive, but just remember, a dollar isn't worth a dime until you spend it. This is one product you will praise for years to come, after you make peace with the price. Here is the link:
    link title

3. Chrome Pillar Posts. The T&C Limited is an eye catcher. But with a few more additions, it will become a chrome-clad automotive Adonis. These are easy to install, inexpensive, and make my ride look incredible. Here is a link - the pictures look good but really dont do it justice - in person, these things really, REALLY look great! link title

4. Chrome Fender Trim. After the pillar posts are nicely sparked, the only thing missing is fender trim. Click on this link then pick year, make, and model, and then click on the picture link to see it installed on the 08 T&C - B&I is the best in the business! link title

5. Blind Spot Obstacle Detection. This uses infrared sensors mounted inside the mirror cover to detect when an object enters the blind spot of the vehicle on either the driver or passenger side. This will be standard equipment on all vehicles in the near future and could certainly prevent an accident. Retails for $580 but can be had for $450 and maybe even less. Here is a link for more information and Mopar part number: link title

6. Update MyGig Software. Most dealers have no idea how to do this. The most recent version of the software is 1.220. If you have anything earlier, UPDATE NOW! It is easy and addresses a lot of bugs. It is also FREE! Here is a link - read it carefully - there is a step by step instructions and pictures to show you what you will see. A 5 year old could do it. link title

7. Update the Grace Notes database. Grace Notes is the database inside the MyGig that allows you to see the names of songs and related information when playing back from the internal hard drive. Database and instructions available from this link (when you get there, click on GRACENOTE on the left-hand side): link title

8. Update the Nav Database. I am reluctant to recommend this except to people really needing it or for the rich who will not mist the $220! They claim to have increase the number of points of interest by over 10% but tehre are some markets, especially in Canada, where there have been no new data in 3 years! Call the company and ask specific questions about what has been updated before you buy. All sales final. NO REFUND! Here is the link: link title

9. Invisible Mask Paint Protector. Invismask and 3M are the top makers of these products, though there are other competitors. This is an incredibly durable super thin film that is glued onto the paint. I have had it on my 300C for over 3 years and not even 1 chip or ding in the area protected by the film (which is the entire front of the car) plus it has not yellowed in any way. This product is an absolute mast have if you want your vehicle to keep looking new for the next 5 years. Finally, while the makers assure you that you can install it yourself... DONT! Get a professional and CHECK THEIR WORK before you hire them. Puting this stuff on the lower bumper is harder than hanging walpaper with your feet! link title

10. Factory running boards and the upgraded trim kit.
    So this is my list. What is yours? Also, there are a few things I am still looking for:

1. A chromed cover (or replacement part) for the black plastic fog lamp holders.
    2. A chrome replacement grill - something big and bold like my Boss grill for the 300c

Kirk
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    That is quite a list, Kirk! There are some excellent recommendations on there, especially the Weathertech floor liners and the invisible mask. The floor liners are fantastic and well worth the money.

Regarding the blind spot detectors, I recommend 2" convex mirrors, which stick on the surface of the side view mirrors (I mount mine at the outer, lower corner on each side), to eliminate blind spots. These cost about $4 total and completely eliminate bind spots along both sides. Of course, they do require the driver to actually check them.... Just when someone makes something that is foolproof, along comes a new model of fool. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • macusermacuser Member Posts: 23
    Is is possible to have a portable Garmin GPS (nuvi) work with (show up) on the MyGig screen?
    If you have a Garmin with audio output, then you could connect it to the microjack of the aux input on the mygig (RER version). If you have the VES, you could connect the Garmin audio output the VES RCA input. Very few GPS systems include video out. If yours does and, again, you have the VES option in your Chrysler, then you can connect the video out into the VES RCA video input. All this only turns the garmin into a source that can be played on the MyGig. It does not integrate the nav functionality of the garmin into the Mygig. That is to say, there is no way to use the Nav functions of the mygig by serving this function over to a Garmin but keeping control of the nav through the MyGig.

Hope this helps.

Kirk
  • trupp22strupp22s Member Posts: 1
    Here is the down and dirty of the TSB for that rather spooky winshield howl/whistle/honk.

If your dealer can't find it.... Show 'em this. It's TSB: 23-023-08

SUBJECT:
    Whistle, Honk Or Howl Sound Coming From "A" Pillar Or Windshield Area
    OVERVIEW:
    This bulletin involves applying clear flowable silicone sealer to the backside of the
    windshield molding lip seal to adhere the lip seal to the A-Pillar.
    MODELS:
    2008 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan
    SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    The customer may experience a whistle, honk or howl sound from the A-Pillar area or
    windshield area of A-Pillar on either side of the vehicle. A combination of high ambient
    temperatures above 32° C (90° F), high driving speeds 112 Kph (70 Mph) or higher and
    cross winds are required to make this sound occur. The condition may be intermittent or
    can be continuous when the conditions are met.
    An outer lip seal on the windshield moulding that contacts the A-Pillar may vibrate and
    cause this sound.
    DIAGNOSIS:
    If the vehicle exhibits the condition described in the Symptom/Condition, perform the
    Repair Procedure.
    PARTS REQUIRED:
    Qty. Part No. Description
    1 04467708 Clear Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass
    Sealer - (1.5 oz. Tube) 1 Tube may service 2
    vehicles
    NUMBER: 23-023-08
    GROUP: Body
    DATE: August 1, 2008
    REPAIR PROCEDURE:
    1. Start at the top or bottom of the A-Pillar and insert a thin fiber stick between the
    A-Pillar and the windshield molding lip seal so the lip seal is lifted up and away from
    the A-Pillar. (Fig. 1).
    NOTE: A thin card (plastic) can be used as a tool to lift the lip seal from the A-Pillar if
    a thin fiber stick is not available.
    Fig. 1 A-PILLAR WINDOW MOULDING
    1 - A-Pillar
    2 - Windshield Moulding Lip Seal
    3 - Windshield Moulding
    4 - Windshield
    5 - Silicone Sealant Applied to Back Side of Lip
    6 - Windshield Moulding Lip Seal Lifted from A-Pillar
    NOTE: The area where the sealer is applied is narrow. Carefully cut the silicone
    nozzle tip at the narrowest point at an angle to be able to apply the silicone
    into the area described.
    2. Insert the nozzle of the silicone sealant in between the A-Pillar and windshield molding
    lip just behind the fiber stick.
    3. Move the fiber stick slowly along the A-Pillar while allowing the silicone to flow onto the
    back side of the molding lip and A-Pillar.
    4. Proceed as far along the A-Pillar as possible. Do not overfill cavity. There must be an
    adequate volume of silicone to adhere the tip of the lip seal to the A-Pillar.
    5. Wipe the A-Pillar surface clean of any excess (exposed) silicone sealant.
    6. Allow sufficient time for the newly applied sealer to air dry.
    POLICY:
    Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
    23-023-08 -2-
    TIME ALLOWANCE:
    Labor Operation
    No:
    Description Amount
    23-50-25-90 Adhere Windshield Moulding Lip to
    A-Pillar (B)
    0.3 Hrs.
    FAILURE CODE:
    ZZ Service Action
    -3- 23-023-08
  • bigsky10bigsky10 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I agree with you Spooked, "CHRYSLER LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY SHOULD COVER ANY POWERTRAIN PROBLEM THAT MIGHT COME ABOUT", the problem many people along with myself are having is The Chrysler is not standing behind the Dealer who are not standing behind the WARRANTY. I have been to the local dealer 6 times with a transmission problem that started at 7500 miles on my 2007 Town and Country Van. I have now 21,000 miles on the van and still have the problem. The dealer is telling me Chrysler is writing a software update. I finally contacted Chrysler themselves 4 time and after two years I still have the same problem.

I do agree with you about buying American. the problem I see in buying American is there is no integrity in the American manufactures anymore. It is difficult to know where the American manufacture makes his product. I happen to also have a 1997 Pontiac which is a General Motors (made in America). Most of the nuts and bolts on it are metric and there are stickers all over it Made in Canada. I also am 62 and I guess I just don't remember when America went to the "Metric System". A warranty is only as good as those who stand behind it.
  • jeffuhdejeffuhde Member Posts: 10
    Kirk,
    Ran across your post and used the MyGig webpage to reload my operating system for the van - great link! My nav system was "choking" and not updating the display map or the traffic with Sirius. Went to that webpage and downloaded the latest version of MyGig and FOLLOWED the instructions to a "T" which is a must. Worked like a charm! Agree with the weather Tech mats as well - 3 small kids and they are a life saver! Great post!
    Jeff
  • theflushtheflush Member Posts: 100
    I am looking at buying a used van and have looked at some 08 T&C Touring and GC SXTs. I can't tell much difference other than a couple pieces of plastic trim. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other other than some trim?