Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan

Comments

• dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Whatever you wish to say negative about the Odyssey is your prerogative. Meanwhile I will continue driving the gold standard of minivans. If the Odyssey was junk I'd be here sounding off as loudly as I do about Chrysler.

I was just pointing out that Ody or any Honda (as long as you're now bashing any Chrysler product) has had it's share of problems also, not going on and on bashing every Chrysler vehicle, and name calling i.e...turd. Over the past 22 years, Chrysler has sold many times as minivans as anyone else. What I found out looking at Odys was, one needs lots of "gold" to buy one, not that they were that superior to other minivans available.
    Speaking of transmission problems: There are 1,562 posts concerning Chrysler minivan transmission problems VS 276 Odyssey transmission problem posts here on Edmunds. This is a good measure of quality, people with 15 year old Caravans posting questions about their tranny, when Honda didn't even make a minivan back then. The fact that there are 276 Ody postings is not something to boast about, especially when Toyota's Sienna doesn't even have a "tranny problem" area in their forum.

How did the Odyssey become the #1 selling minivan in 2007 despite Chrysler practically giving them away to rental companies? I have only seen one Honda ad proclaiming this, and in small print at end of ad, indicating a very specific time period, not actually the entire year i.e....best selling from May to August 2007 (or something like that). I have not seen the final Full Year sales figures for Dodge yet, maybe you have and can link it? Lets ignore that Chrysler stopped producing the 2007s for plant change over during the summer, or that Total Chrysler Corporation minivan sales (Caravan and T&C) still makes them the number one minivan seller in the country, and that Honda is still dumping 2007s off their lots and heavily discounting the 2008s. (big discounts compared to dealer markups back in 2005)

Why does a one year old Odyssey that stickered for about $33,000, sold for about $29,000 have a resale of $25,000 yet a similar Chrysler mini can be had for about $13,000. A similar Chrysler minivan never sold for $33,000 to begin with. I bought my 2005 GC SXT for $20,000 (about $9000 less than a similar Ody EX at the time but I also got tow package, power hatch not available on Ody), and from what I see on Craig's list or Autotrader for my area, it's still worth about $13,000. So if I had purchased the Ody back in 2005, financed that additional $9000 difference for 4 years vs. pocketing the difference and potentially earning interest instead of paying it, I'd hope my 2005 Ody EX would be worth about $20,000? I decided I wanted the gold in my own pocket, instead of driving it around.

It'll be interesting to see, as Honda continues to dump Odys for $4-5k off sticker, what it does for their vaunted resale value? It'll have a trickle down effect no doubt as people go to buy used 05s, 06s when a new 07 is about same price.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    It'll be interesting to see, as Honda continues to dump Odys for $4-5k off sticker, what it does for their vaunted resale value?

Really? And what does that say for Chrysler for offering 0%, a rebate and no payments for six months on its much ballyhooed BRAND NEW minivans?

A similar Chrysler minivan never sold for $33,000 to begin with.

So, all these people who bought 2007 Limited models with MSRP over $33,000 were hosed?

You can say what you want but the facts do not justify your argument. A quick look at the used car lots support my argument.

A bit off target but I bought a 2003 Olds Silhouette with an MSRP of $33,315. When I traded three years later I was very lucky to get the $10,500 I got and I shopped every brand, including, in a moment of ill mental health, Dodge.

In October, 2004, I was selected for a marketing research panel and was afforded the opportunity to drive a minivan from DCX, Ford, GM and Honda back-to-back. First I got to explore the van's features - Stow N Go was brand new, then I drove with an evaluator recording my comments to a number of preselected questions. Without a doubt the Honda was superior in every way to the others. Remember, at that time my Olds was two years old and I had no intention of having it replaced. After the experience of that Saturday morning I decided to buy a Honda when the time came as it did one year later.

I have no first hand experience with the 2008 Chrysler vans except to comment how much they resemble the last generation Kia Sedona in appearance. My comments are based on the the VW van I owned, the Nissan van I owned, the Pontiac van I owned, the Ford van I owed, the Grand Caravan I owned, the Olds I owned and the Honda I now own. My experience tells me that Chrysler built and continues to build vehicles more unreliable than most.
    Really? And what does that say for Chrysler for offering 0%, a rebate and no payments for six months on its much ballyhooed BRAND NEW minivans? I've seen the posting on 0% etc.....but haven't actually seen it any where else. But rebates and incentives are typical of domestics, but not Honda. People shopping for any car, knows there's dickering, incentives and negotiations for the selling price/trade in. Forever though, to buy a Honda, with it's "percieved" value it was usually full sticker or "market adjusted pricing" adders of thousands of dollars. That is now history with the fire sale on 2007 and 2008 Odys, one has only too look at the Honda forum to see the deals now available. This is a good thing for any minivan buyer, especially if you have blinders on and will only buy an Ody.

I'm tracking prices paid for T&C and Ody, as I'm itching for new vehicle later this years. My personal decision is whether to buy a T&C with incentives and a friends employee's discount, or buy an Ody or Sienna with just their incentives? The difference this time won't be $9000 though - Dodge vs. Honda. You must also be interested in possibly a T&C since you're participating in the thread so actively? That or you so hate Chrysler and just want to whine?

So, all these people who bought 2007 Limited models with MSRP over $33,000 were hosed? LOL, I doubt anyone paid anywhere near MSRP for a Chrysler T&C. In fact you have me really confused now, cause I thought Chrysler was basically giving minivans away per your local papers???

I have no first hand experience with the 2008 Chrysler vans except to comment how much they resemble the last generation Kia Sedona in appearance. My comments are based on the the VW van I owned, the Nissan van I owned, the Pontiac van I owned, the Ford van I owed, the Grand Caravan I owned, the Olds I owned and the Honda I now own. My experience tells me that Chrysler built and continues to build vehicles more unreliable than most. I don't see any resemblance to anything but to the early 90s Caravans - boxy and slab sided. I hate when people have a bad experience with anything and it forever taints their attitude/outlook. People who'll never buy "such and such" POC vehicle ever again, even look at it first hand. One can find people like that for every brand on Edmunds. I had a terrible Honda Civic in the early 80s that burnt oil like crazy and got terrible gas mileage, I had a 1990 Acura Integra that had all sorts of electrical problems. I had a 1983 Cavalier that I put 180k totally trouble free miles on. I haven't had a GM since. I've seriously considered an Ody in 2005, and contemplating one for end of year. I hope I never get so tainted as some.
  • lonewaldenlonewalden Member Posts: 26
    Dodge Caravan was still the #1 selling mini van for 2007. You can read the whole article here http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080104/BUSINESS01/801040386/10- 14

In December, though, Chrysler did make a big play to hold on to one of its important leadership positions. The automaker posted a 51.3% gain in Dodge Grand Caravan sales, enough to beat the Honda Odyssey for the No. 1 position in the minivan segment.
    Guess Honda should pull those commercials with the "best selling minivan" plastered on them because it's misleading, even though it may be technically correct for a very specific specific time period. And maybe some day Honda will be more open about their incentives and make them public? They just left the dealers know, and god help the consumer who doesn't research their purchase first.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    FWIW . . . our old '94 Grand Caravan ES went 164K miles on the original transmission. When we sold it, it still had the original transmission, and according to the person who bought it, it's still fine - at 180K. Preventive maintenance is the key, as we changed ATF at every 24K miles.
  • calamity1calamity1 Member Posts: 4
    Is the Mygig on the 08 T/C DVD driven? I would hate to tie up a DVD drive if it is. Does it come with a backup DVD in case you need to reload for some reason? Does anyone know how much and how often update DVD's are released?
  • homerzzzhomerzzz Member Posts: 3
    The navigation is HDD driven. I didn't receive a backup DVD. I asked the "customer service" rep at the dealer regarding this and he didn't have a clue. I also don't know anything regarding navigation updates. These are on a list of questions for the dealer.

If anyone else knows how these work, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    An email from Chrysler customer service claims the www.chrysler.com/mygig link in the owner's manual will finally work by the end of January and we will be able to download the application software updates.

In the meantime, it is available elsewhere right now. Version 9.561 for a MyGIG with nav is the latest. You can get it here:

http://www.nitroforumz.com/showthread.php?t=7658

That will not update any maps, just the application software. I've read that map updates will eventually be available from the dealer but they will be quite expensive.
    Thanks for the info, my dealer contacted Chrysler and it's apparently a state secret, they didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. My husband is trying again and if they actually give us any useful info. I will post it here.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    If not that, then it is a result of electrical interference causing the doors to open. Basically, some other electrical device is being activated nearby that has the same frequency as your remote opener. I have seen this happen before with garage doors. If nothing else turns out to be the cause, you may want to contact the dealer to find out if you can get the frequency of your remote-opener system changed.

You did say that it is parked in the same place when this happens?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Go back and read what you posted about no one paying for a DCX mini what a Honda cost. I did not say anyone paid $33,000 for a DCX mini, I said the MSRP was that price.

So, after paying many thousand of dollars for a POC Dodge van I should pay more just to see if what I had was a fluke? Tell you what, you give me the money and I'll buy the van, fair enough?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...this discussion is about the 2008 T&C/Caravan. It's not the place to compare this model with other make/models. Use the search function to your right to find those comparo topics.

Thanks for your future cooperation!
  • lilvbclilvbc Member Posts: 15
    Yeah, KarenS, I was going to say the same thing. I'm hoping this forum will help educate owners or possible owners about the '08 CX/Dodge minivans in general and w/ specific issues. Those who don't like this van, it's "history", Chrysler, it's pricepoint,or think it's inferior to others can buy something else and hang out in their respective forums -- no big deal; the rest of us will wallow w/ our lowly Town & Country's :cry: .

I leased an '08 T&C Limited, my first American car and first minivan, a couple of weeks ago and have been quite happy w/ it! It is amazingly luxurious, quiet, and comfortable and imo feel the design is more sophisticated inside and out than the other minivans currently -- this is the advantage of having the most recent redesign in the market. Having driven a german SUV for the past few years I didn't feel like I was taking a step down too much in terms of interior design/feel/fit/finish in this particular Chrysler product -- some of the Daimler probably made it into this minivan. Of course, w/ the help of the EC discount from tedebear, I paid much less for this vehicle than my SUV w/c is another big bonus. Unlike some others I'm proud of paying as little as possible for a great product, as well as supporting the economy -- there's no shame in that.

Other major positives for me:
    - Good engine torque/power. The engine does sound and behave like it is a V6 that should be in an SUV; those who drive an SUV will know what I mean -- it has a certain grunt to it which I like. It is not anonymous and lifeless like I've found in other vans I've driven.
    - Of course, all the features and amenities eg HID lights, interior LED lighting, DVD x 2, SatTV, realtime traffic, MyGig HDD nav/media, power everything, stow n go, super soft leather, power 3rd bench, etc. All of this has really improved our daily routine w/ respect to getting around town. btw, you can get OEM all-weather rubber mats now for all three rows from your dealer; these just came out.

A neutral point, though by no means negative, is the transmission is not as smooth-shifting as I'd like (here, the Odyssey is better). The maual said that it takes a few hundred miles for the car to smooth out the shifts -- likely all ECU mapping, etc. -- so we'll see what happens. For me, it's not a big deal. Also, the handling is kind of soft -- which likely is a factor of being a big minivan and geared towards family travel. Most SUVs, except for say the X5 and MDX, drive this way anyway... I can get my driving thrills from my other car.

A couple of quick questions for other owners re: MyGig: if you're listening to the radio or an MP3 file, how do you turn the music off? For example if I just want the nav map to be showing w/o any radio or music playing. The other question is: when I upload mp3 files into the HDD they all show up in alphabetical order only, not the native order on the CD -- is there a way to have them show up in the right order? When I try to change the file names to say "01 Sunday Blood Sunday, 02 Daughters" they still don't go in order.

Anyway, hope this review is helpful! :shades:
    A neutral point, though by no means negative, is the transmission is not as smooth-shifting as I'd like (here, the Odyssey is better). The maual said that it takes a few hundred miles for the car to smooth out the shifts -- likely all ECU mapping, etc. -- so we'll see what happens. For me, it's not a big deal.

you have it exactly right - the ECU/TCU (engine and tranny control modules) learn your driving habits over time. What kinda MPG are you getting??
    I'm not sure, actually. I drive practically all neighborhoods and the mpg was reading 16.8 for a while. I reset it just the other day and it read 19.x -- looks like I need to get more driving since I reset it before I can say for sure.
    You might want to verify that mpg readout with a calculator a few times. I recently bought a Sebring and I've found the mpg display to be about 1 mpg less than what I'm actually getting. I almost always wait until the low fuel light comes on before refueling.

Sounds like you're enjoying your new ride. It certainly has a lot of gadgets to play with. Glad I could help out with some savings off the MSRP - remember me on your Christmas list. :D
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    KarenS: I understand your point. May I explain my issue. The Pacifica has the first 4. L engine and the first 6 speed Automatic. Because the 08 is the last Pacifica, the chance that those with the same engine and trans. setup is limited. However the T & C does have the same powertrain. I fail to see how asking if anyone else has had the same issues is not the place to ask questions. There has been a lot of talk on the forum about Honda vans and there sure is not any thing in common except they are both vans.
    If I am not understanding you correctly let me know. Thanks.......

farout
  • maryh3maryh3 Member Posts: 263
    you can get OEM all-weather rubber mats now for all three rows from your dealer; these just came out.

How much are these? Mine is on order. Since you seem to be gaga over these mats how do I get mine? Should I contact my dealer?
    Farout -- I doubt Karens was refering to your posts.
    How much are these?

A friend who recently bought a T&C with S&G ordered a full set of these slush mats. They were around $141 plus tax, or slightly less than $114 total cost at the employee discount price. ;)

Your local Chrysler dealer parts department should be able to order them for you.
    correct, of course, tedebear. make sure you get employee pricing from your salesperson so you save a few bucks. :P
    Does anyone have a web page where I can see these mats?
    Does anyone have a web page where I can see these mats?

They only show the third row mats on the Mopar website. I know from recent experience that the complete set retails for around $141.

http://mopar-accessories.com/chrysler/1_08_RTY53_3220.html
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Yes, Lil, your comments are so true.. seems like you're speaking for myself...

I also have the same question, if I only want the navigation working, but not radio/media - is there a way to shut it off? I can't find my answer in the manual.

2) Another question. The key you get is not a regular car key, just a fob with a big head (feet?) which is used instead of the key. Now if I am locking myself out of the van, how do I use the other fob to let me in? In the manual it states that you should never leave your key inside and getting locked out (Thanks for the advice, Chrysler), but fortunately, I am a human being, and it happened already many times in the past that I accidentally locked my car & ignition running (probably with my hand when opening door). Unlike my '05 Dodge GC, which when I pressed the unlock key from the second key fob the door unlocked, the '08 does not work when ignition is in on position (car is running). And interesting, there is a key hole at the drivers outside door handle, but you don't get a key to that? I wonder.

3) another question, is about the antenna. Before a car wash you must (?) take off your antenna in order to prevent damage. I did a car wash last week, but I was unable to take off the antenna. Seems like built-in. This is also not mentioned in any manual. Am I missing something?

I hope someone could answer me my qusetions. Thanks in advance!

By the way, my MPG indicator always shows between 10-11 MPG. Horrible! How can this be?
    I can answer one or two of your questions.

1. If you want to use the nav without listening to the radio a quick way to turn the volume off is to press the Radio Media button. That will switch it to the HDD - JB - DISC mode. If you don't have a CD in it and it is on the DISC option you won't hear anything. Press the NAV button to begin using the navigation. The voice commands can still be heard.

On the MPG indicator, mine reads about 1 mpg lower than it actually is but it's not THAT far off. Check it with a calculator. If you're really getting that kind of mileage have a dealer check to see what's wrong.
    There should be a tiny key in the ring end of your fob, you have to slide or push a piece on the ?front? not sure just where, it unlocks the doors but of course wouldn't work to start the car. (I am looking into getting one and did a test drive recently, they showed it to me then) I would assume the key is in both of the "key" fobs and that should let you open the door if you lock yourself out.
    that's a great question re: the antenna and carwashes! unfortunately i don't have an answer and now i'm scared to get a carwash! it was funny, i didn't even notice that antenna until the day after i picked up the van -- it's pretty old-school looking; can't believe they used that design.
    Are you guys talking about the satellite antenna?
    If I remember correctly most car manufacturers recommend that you take off the antenna before getting a car wash and so do the car washers. Its CYA on their behalf. Almost nobody ever does it though and I don't think many antennas are lost or cars damaged due to people keeping them up when they get a car wash.

I have an old Taurus SHO with an antenna motor that takes it up and down. But just about everybody who has one of these also has a broken antenna motor. I am not sure why they stopped embedding them into the wind shield though. Unless you are a stickler for following the rules I would not expect to see any problems with leaving it up when you get a car wash.

I noticed that the new floor mats are for Stow n Go only -- I am getting the Swivel n Go. Bet the ring for the table base is creating floor mat problems and nothing is available yet. I do hope they bring out some type of floor mat for these new swivel seat packages. My biggest complaint about the 08 T&C was that all the interior colors are so light. We mothers would prefer as black as possible. Chrysler will probably offer one someday but that will be too late for me.
  • bear17bear17 Member Posts: 5
    I have the 08 TC. The key is in the end of the FOB. It will unlock the door with the key in the ignition. The doors also will not lock if you hit the door switch to lock the van with the key in the ignition.
    You should be getting better MPG. I get around 19 MPG with only 2500 miles on the van. So far it has been great with the 3.8- 6 speed Trans. Swivel and Go seats.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Thank you all for replying. Let me share what I figured out myself:

1. In order to turn off the radio/media and listening only to the NAV commands, simply turn down the volume when the radio/media is working to ZERO. and when you hear the NAV prompts, just turn it up! Interesting those 2 are NOT mixed. They work separately. Lowering one volume will not affect the other. That's excellent.

2. About my MPG, I did a long highway trip, about 40 miles, and I reset my MPG meter before. In the end it gave me about 19-20 MPG. What a relief. I guess the 4.0 NOISY engine uses a lot gas, especially for stop & go traffic.

3. About the key to open the door, I still can not figure that one out, I need some more explanation. Below the power sliding door controls on the fob there is a black piece that seems to be something which I can't figure out. Is that what you're talking about?

4. The antenna problem I was reffering to is the REGULAR antenna, not the satellite. I also wonder why Chrysler is still using this old-time tech instead of integration in the back windows, like most other manufacturers are doing.

5. Interior has light colors which makes it look much nicer IMO. But I believe that Chrysler should also offer a dark interior for those families who needs it. They used to offer dark colors (dark navy) on previous models (2002?), but seems that they had too few requests for that practical - but unexciting - color. When my mats get dirty, I always think that it's easy to replace, and I don't make a big deal about it. What really bugs me that in the Stow'n'Go version (which I have) tha second row mats is just a joke. Looks like a thin piece of garbage, and so small covering only about half the space. My old 2005 GC had much better (bigger & thicker) mats for second row.

I still have a lot to write, and one day (in the near future...) I will make a full detailed review.
    Re: # 3, the black piece is what allows you to take the SMALL door key out (I'm tellin' you it's tiny looking) I don't have mine yet but I test drove and the dealer showed it then-it's a slide or push mechanism that allows the key to slide out of the end of the fob.
  • d66d66 Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a 2008 T&C Touring this weekend and so far we are just loving it. After test driving the 2008 and seeing all the new features we just had to have one :blush: so we traded in our 2005 T&C. We do a lot of traveling with three kids so the dual DVDs will be perfect for us. The only problem we have is trying to get two movies to play at the same time. The manual doesn't just come out and give you step by step instructions. We placed one movie in the DVD player down below and then placed another in the top CD/DVD slot. While in park we could get one movie to play on the front dash screen while the other movie was playing on the two rear screens (with sound coming from the headphones). Can anyone help? It would be greatly appreciated.
  • maguymaguy Member Posts: 13
    I am getting a Touring with entertainment #2. Does the mygig system have a 6 disc CD player or is it a single?
  • d66d66 Member Posts: 2
    Never mind......I finally was able to figure it out. I've probably used more gas sitting in my driveway playing with all the feature in my new van. Today my plan is to load music onto the hard drive. Did I mention how much I love all my new features on this van :shades:
    I am getting a Touring with entertainment #2. Does the mygig system have a 6 disc CD player or is it a single?

It is a single.
  • iowatcmaniowatcman Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know of one site that I can find a specific Chrysler equipped to my specifications without going through a dealer or searching each individual dealer's inventory online?
    The inventory search tool at chrysler.com is pretty much all that's available. I know it takes some time, having to search one dealer at a time, but you can customize the search out to whatever distance you want.

I'm an employee and that's what I had to use last year when shopping for my Chrysler. When I finally went to the dealer I knew they had the car I wanted and there wasn't another one in that same color and configuration within 150 miles.
  • onthefarmonthefarm Member Posts: 22
    I like the 2008 Chrysler and Dodge minivans a lot--they look great and the prices seem fair for base trim. But...I've read lots of horror stories about failing transmissions on Chrysler products, both on the Edmund's forums and elsewhere. Of grave concern was a post from someone claiming they had transmission problems on several generations of Chrysler vans he/she had owned (makes me wonder why they continued buying, but that's another issue). I really want an 'American' (as in traditional Big Three) product this time around, but the Chrysler boys aren't getting good write-ups as far as I can tell. Should I be alarmed, or give Chrysler a chance? :confuse:
    Don't let some posting from some bitter buyer weigh too heavily on you. I can tell you I've had 3 Chrysler minivans since 1997 wihtout a single tranny issue. I have many friends and coworkers too....NONE!! You can check out other make's forums and here and see many horror tales for them too.

I'd test drive em all and make up your own mind.
  • onthefarmonthefarm Member Posts: 22
    Thx for the feedback!
  • deirdrefdeirdref Member Posts: 9
    We're in the process of buying an 08 T&C Limited. We didn't particularly want a sunroof but that's what's available at the moment with the other options / colours we want. Anybody with the sunroof here? What is the overhead console like with the sunroof? Do you still have the "ambient halo" light? We really wanted that and are trying to decide if we should just order it from the factory without the sunroof.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Consider that most people posting have a reason, either they have a problem and want to see if anyone else has had one like their problem, or they want to vent or brag. Proberly those with problems out weigh the bragging posts.
    I have had 17 Chrysler vehicles in my life, only two had any problem and they were fixed by Chrysler. The big noise about chrysler transmissions is 95% rumor and 5% fact.
    There is a huge bias against any vehicle made in the USA. Just look at any car or truck magazine, foreign vehicles are the envied of the car writers. That burns me up! Right now Toyota has dropped in the score related to the number of times buyers have to bring back their vehicles back to be worked on after delivery. We sure don't hear much about that do we?
    I am an 62 year old who buys American when ever I can, even if it cost more! We are so deep in debt to China, Japan and countries we once were at war with, and rescued their economy to restart them, we have been taken over by our kindness and mercy given to Germany and other European Countries.
    With the CHRYSLER LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY i DON'T SEE ANY REASON TO FEAR ANY POWERTRAIN PROBLEM THAT MIGHT COME ABOUT. There is no other vechicel that comes even close to LIFETIME at least that I have found. And that is a no decuctable too!
    As far as I am concerned most American vehicles are about the same and have drastically improved to more than beat the foreign vehicles. I am sure there are some who will dispute me on that, but that's how I see it. Check out some parts on a vehicle made in Europe or Asia and see how much more they cost and then check out an American list of the same parts.

farout
  • jeffs72jeffs72 Member Posts: 6
    I would agree with farout here; I think they are all the same. And I just bought an 08 Grand Caravan.

And, I would add that I don't believe the Japanese cars are more reliable. However, I do believe that the service departments at the Japanese dealers do a much better job to give the appearance of reliability. They really seem to emphasize fixing it right the first time. The priority at the American car dealers always seems to be "Get it done".

Since 1988 (before my van), I've owned a 88 Mazda MX6, a 1998 Honda Accord, a 1992 Ford Taurus, a 1994 Ford Windstar, and a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville.

When I had the Accord and the MX6, the dealer always gave me a loaner when I dropped the car off for service. And, on a few occasions, they asked if I could use the loaner another day so that they could do a few more things or check things out a little more thoroughly.

When I had my Ford and Pontiac, the dealers never did that. The goal always seemed to be getting the car ready when promised; regardless of whether or not the underlying problem was fixed.

I've seen this at a Mazda dealer, two different Honda dealers, a Ford Dealer, a Pontiac Dealer and, now, a Dodge dealer. And the pattern always seems the same; the Japanese car dealers have repair shops that emphasize customer service.

Jeff
    I think dealership service is same as manufacturer, meaning you can find crappy dealerships regardless of brand. I had an Acura once where the seatbelt warning would just go one when it wanted to, except when I was within a mile of the dealership. It took dealer months to figure it out and fix it. I was shocked at my Dodge dealership recently when I needed oil change and airbag sensor checked. It was suppose to be done before lunch and wasn't. They called me after lunch and apologized for being late, but they found bad outter tierods, noticed that my warranty expired in 3 days and wanted to fix them under warranty for me.....not bad in my book.
  • staciystaciy Member Posts: 8
    could you tell me the friends price of the touring 08 with a msrp of 35625. zipcode 35613. It has the 25m package, nav, and sirius tv. Also extra for red paint. It is at a dealership and I wanted to know what you show as the price. Thanks,
    MSRP: $35,625
    Friends: $30,654

The above Friends price includes a current rebate of $1,500 in your region.

Also, you can determine the Friends price on any vehicle by looking up the invoice on Edmunds. The Friends price is 1% below invoice. Any rebates or other price incentives are subtracted from that for even greater savings.
    Hi, just going to ask this question again in case anyone knows -- has anyone gone through a carwash w/ this van? I'm worried about the old-style antenna on the right front of the van getting mangled; it doesn't look like you can take it off easily either. Thanks.