Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Seat Issues

imomtojdimomtojd Member Posts: 4
I'm so glad I found this forum. I have two issues with my 2007 Sonata. Unfortunately, I didn't get the higher end model, so my drivers seat isn't very adjustable and I'm so uncomfortable. I've tried adding lumbar supports, additional seat cushions, etc. and find my back hurting and my legs going numb. Anyone have ideas?

Also, I'm meeting with our regional rep. on Monday morning to try to deal with my passenger airbag issue. I've brought it to the dealer two times so far, they changed a few things, and it's still intermittent. My husband and I made a tape last week that we put on DVD to bring to the dealership so we can show them what's happening. I'm sure it's going to work just fine at the service center so I'm going to have to prove it somehow. Has anyone else had this issue resolved?

Comments

• mossman11mossman11 Member Posts: 10
    I purchased an 06 Sonata GL after having worked at a Hyundai dealer and driven many early production Sonatas. But by Nov '05, the cars got much firmer seating as the early cars had softer cushions but less support. After 20,000 miles, the seat is more comfortable, but the forward edge is slightly too high. Also, keep in mind that as you raise the rear of the cushion, the under thigh stress is lessened. This seat is not as good as the one on the 02-05 models, which had the dual-wheel height/tilt adjustment. To counter, Hyundai offers a power adjuster on all models this year.

To sum up, you will get used to this seat, and it will break-in for you. Also, the cushion is softer as the weather warms up. Putting another cushion over it does not work, as you then sit way too high.
  • imomtojdimomtojd Member Posts: 4
    mossman11 - The problem is that I can't raise the rear of the cushion, it doesn't have that option. I can tilt the back, raise the entire seat, and move forward and backward. I made a big mistake by not buying one with a more adjustable seat. Do you have any idea if a drivers seat can be replaced with a higher end one? Thanks for your earlier reply.
  • hyundai06hyundai06 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem since Aug. o6 with my 2006 Sonata. The regional rep. refuses to except that anything is wrong, even though it has been seen and photographed by the General Mgr., and the Service Mgr. at the dealership. I have sent many letters to various people including the president of Hyundai America. As of this writing I have received know response on this potential injury or loss of life matter. Please stay in touch with your progress.
    Wow, you've been dealing with the airbag issue for that long. What part of the country are you from - where is the district rep. located?

I met with the dealerships service mgr. and the district rep. from Atlanta yesterday. They looked at all the service records and then we took a drive. It only happened one time (of course!). But, my husband and I made a videotape (put to DVD) to show them what and how it was happening. The evening we made it my 6', 170lb. son was in the passenger seat with the light still on - and then we showed them me (5'6, 140lbs) during several errands. They seemed very sincere and honest (I'm crossing my fingers and toes). They were going to send the DVD and info. to their main office in California for their techs to see. Next week they will decide whether to send the entire seat or just part of it to California to try to fix the issue.

Have you contacted the BBB or your states lemon law yet? It sounds like that should be your next step. Keep me informed.
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    I can't believe that you are having this kind of trouble. My passenger air bag light came on for no reason and the dealer replaced the entire seat after contacting the manufacturer themselves.
    So far any issues that I have had have been resolved in a few days or so after talking to the dealer.
  • tgrossmithtgrossmith Member Posts: 2
    hi...

was wondering if you ever got any suggestions on how to improve the comfort of your driver's seat. i have a 2006 sonata LX w/ the power leather driver's seat, but i have the same problem as you with my right leg going numb at times and hurting on the back of my upper leg.
    Unfortunately I did figure out how to improve the comfort and lessen my chiropractic bills. I sold the car for a huge loss. I realized that I was miserable and that was alot of years of discomfort. This probably didn't help you, huh.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi folks. It's awkward having two unrelated problems in one discussion, so let's focus on the seat issues here. We can continue to talk about the other issue in this discussion: Hyundai Sonata Airbag Issues.

Thanks!
  • tgrossmithtgrossmith Member Posts: 2
    wow...no, this doesn't really help me much. i've thought about selling myself...but i got such a great deal on this car, as i bought when they were offering huge incentives...i paid less than $20K for this car out the door, after taxes and fees...so i really don't want to part with it.

anyway, thanks for the reply.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    You can always go to an aftermarket shop and have any kind of seat you want installed. Might cost a few hundred dollars, but beats losing 1000s. Good luck.
  • ph_ownerph_owner Member Posts: 1
    Hello:
    I just purchased a 2007 Sonata SE 6 cyl. This is my first car in over 10 years and I'm trying to navigate thru the owner's manual. My question is, Is there a way to adjust to headrest backwards. The angle of the headrest makes it difficult for me to check for traffic when I backout of a parking space.
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Someone told me that you have to adjust the headrest ALL the way forward B4 you can adjust it back. I tried that this afternoon and it worked.
  • whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    Cold enough to use the heated leather seat this morning. Noticed that the heat has an automatic on / off cycle. I feel the heat for a while, then off for a while, then on again, etc. The heat button indicator was always lit.
    The off cycle is longer than the on cycle.

Is this cycling normal or there is a loose wire under the seat?
  • comet64comet64 Member Posts: 12
    That is normal. It cycles on and off so it won't overheat.
  • empcamoteempcamote Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone, My drivers side front seat will recline but not come back forward. The seats are motorized. Any good ideas? Thank you
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Presumably this is new (08-09) Sonata. If so, the only "good idea" is take it to the dealer to be evaluated. The switch or motor assembly could be faulty, the gearing could be jammed and since all the above are not easily accessible and since it is under warranty the only good idea is also a great one....let trained professionals deal with it.
    After looking at it for a bit I have come to the same conclusion. It's still under warranty so I'll just take it in. lol. Thank you. I'll post what they fix later this week.
    I took it to dealers and they fixed it for free since it was under warranty. Plus, they washed my car...YES! lol. They said it was the switch that they replaced and now it back to working fine.
  • vickychaneyvickychaney Member Posts: 1
    Buttons all work in all other directions, but not back! Any advise or experience with this?
  • whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    Each button does something to the seat. If not, it is broken.
  • qs84qs84 Member Posts: 10
    I suggest you have the switch checked, mine had to be switched out or basically the same intermittent problem.
    My 07 Sonata SE did the same thing (power seat), except it wouldn't move forward. After having the switch replaced under warrantly, no problems since.
    The same thing happened to my 07 Sonata SE. It was a bad switch.
  • madmax92madmax92 Member Posts: 3
    My seat switch stopped working too and they fixed it under warranty. A couple thousand miles later it stopped working again, but since it just passed the warranty no luck. So I guess you keep buying bad parts and pay them to install. Pretty good business to be in.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Dealer repairs, in my experience with Hyundais, have a 12-month, 12,000 mile warranty. So take it back and get it fixed.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I mentioned that when I called the dealer (it's been two months 4k miles) and was told no (it's at their discreation) but will be following up with the manager Monday.
  • kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    I had the same problem. The seat switch goes bad, but it is easy to repair yourself.
    To get to it you pull off the hard plastic cover on the front under the seat - HARD pull...clips hold it in. Pull the switches off the seat switch, and remove the side plastic cover under the seat - I think I remember a few screws. The switch is a black rectangular box held in by 2 screws and one electric plug. Once you have it in your hand, you need to pry it open with a screwdriver/penknife, and find the smaller slide switch box inside that controls tilt. VERY CAREFULLY pry off the plastic white cover that holds the switch together, Inside you will find small metal contacts, and springs, and little tiny steel balls. The metal contacts will be carbonned up and need cleaning with a penknife and pencil eraser. Put it all back together and your switch will work like new. If you don't want to be bothered taking it apart, you can buy a new one on EBAy. I paid about 36.00 for mine - 110.00 at the stealership.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll store it away for next time. I've had the seat off once so should be a pro pretty soon. The dealer did end up fixing this problem under warrany even though it had just expired. So I'll commend them for that, they seem to be trying.
  • Elliot UdellElliot Udell Member Posts: 83
    In terms of driving comfort for long trips, which car would be more comfortable?
  • 06sonatalx06sonatalx Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Thank you for this - it worked perfectly on my 2006 LX. I want to add - getting the switch open is delicate. the contacts are the tiny copper raised parts of the rocker levers that sit under the ball bearings. i cut an eraser in half to make it skinny enough to get into the space above the mounted contact on the switch board.

How do I add a couple pictures that I took for reference?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    you can't directly upload photos here, but if you use an online photo hosting service such as flickr, you can post a link to your photos.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• italcarloveritalcarlover Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get the switch ?
This discussion has been closed.