Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M Maintenance and Repair

conchaytoroconchaytoro Member Posts: 1
I love my car but perhaps, like most 300M owners, I wish it were simply better built. Anyways, I'm looking for some wisdom on 2 little but annoying problems which my dealer - Birmingham Chrysler-Jeep in Troy, MI, seems to not be able to detect for more than a year now.

The problem 1: most of the times when I lightly accelerate and the car starts to move, I hear some kind of popping/knocking sounds coming, as I can tell, either from the steering wheel column or from the dashboard right behind the steering wheel. The dealer told me 3-4 different reasons for that having replaced 3 major parts in the car - as they admitted themselves - in vain. Another couple of times they told me they just didn't detect it.
The problem 2 which started about 5-6 months ago: when I start the car and, later, accelerate, there's that weird slushy sound of running water coming from the front, behind the steering wheel. Dealer said they checked and all was fine.

So, any wisdom on these 2 problems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I have a 2002 Special and have never had either of those problems. I wish I could help.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    I have both of those problems, I read in another forum that the running water is the water collected and running down from like rain or a carwash.

About the clicking noise, I could never figure that out, I just learned to ignore it, raise the radio or something.
  • allerballerb Member Posts: 5
    I also have / had both problems. I believe the clicking has something to do with the rack and pinion steering. Mine was making the noise and after a while the steering wheel gave way. I would definitely have them verify everyhting is ok with yours. It was not a fun experience.
  • kubota1kubota1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the clicking in the steering. It was a spring under the steering wheel. Air bag light come on the dash and everything electrical on the wheel went dead. Had to have wheel pulled to repair. Cost $280.00
  • Chrysler300M09Chrysler300M09 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1999 chrysler 300m with only 81,000 miles and has been a good car. I purchased it at 79,000 miles.

2 months ago I took it in to the just for a check up and had no problems. I also had an oil change done and new spark plugs.

Yesterday, I went out as usual and all was fine but when I went to leave my car would not start.

Finally after pumping the gas it started but cut off while driving it home. Started up and I made it home.

Today I found two spark plugs just burnt up. I replaced them and it seems to be running fine but when I put it in neutral and rev the engine it wants to cut off.

Please if anyone can tell me what the problem may be here and why the plugs burnt up I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
    Come on guys can nobody help me here?
    Update with it happened again. Will not start then it starts and idles funny, When I give it some gas in park it revs up and cuts off.
  • brentgrzbrentgrz Member Posts: 3
    My 04 300m memory seat is acting crazy..It never goes to the right setting when you enter the car..When I push the button it goes to one setting and it goes to a different setting everytime I press the button..Is there a part I can buy to fix this??
  • 04_300m04_300m Member Posts: 1
    I am also having this same issue. I picked up the Haynes Repair manual but it doesn't cover the memory seat or the heated seat components.

When I press memory 1, it turns on the Low heat, Set memory is memory 2, memory 2 is memory 1, low heat turns on high heat. I've checked all the connectors and looked for a corresponding fuse, but can't seem to find anything wrong.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this?
  • jus4jiljus4jil Member Posts: 1
    I just brought a 01 300m and it sit in my driveway for about 3 weeks before i drove it, it started up fine when i did drive it (no problems) when i got home i turned everything off and didn't drive :mad: it for a week or so. It would start it was dead and it took two times to jump start it and than i paid to get the battery charged and it started up okay i waited a couple of day and drove it again it run great this saturday i drove again monday and today it's dead again. Can someone please help me before i put money that i don't have into it.
    Please if you figure this out or someone knows do post up. I'm still wondering what the deal was..
  • doctorkizzledoctorkizzle Member Posts: 2
    I've seen a few posts here and there about this but if possible I would love for someone to post more details and to generally be more specific. Where exactly is the factory amp in a '99 300m? I've heard the trunk, passenger side above the wheel well is this correct? Will I need a harness from crutchfield no matter what or is there another way? After getting the harness what exactly do i need to do to hook everything up? Thanks so much for your time!
  • jumpinjack02jumpinjack02 Member Posts: 1
    Had a 03 300m, now have a lower mileage 2002. 2002 has growling noise in midrange3,5-4,.500 RPM under acceleration, did not have noise in 2003, is this typical. Was a change made between 2002 and 2003. Recent Check Engine Light came on, had vacuum canister replaced, dealer also noted that code for fault in short runner valve (SRV) also showed up. Picked car up, Engine Light off. Car ran fine for a couple of hundred miles. A week later car stalled, crankshaft sensor failed, mechanic found loose connection with harness near air condition compressor fixed it. Not sure if I have problem with SRV or not, do not know if it is tied in with noise in mid range. Looking for input/thoughts
  • speedy4630speedy4630 Member Posts: 1
  • kingjossi707kingjossi707 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for replying to this a year later. Haha. But i just found this sight. If your lookin for the preamp. Look in the trunk, right side, and pull down the carpeting. It should be strapped to the car. I have a 2000 300M but it might be the same for the 99. Hope this helps if you still need to know a year later. :)
  • brentgrzbrentgrz Member Posts: 3
  • poncho12poncho12 Member Posts: 1
    power seat on a 99 chrysler memory seat set up ???
  • frankimfrankim Member Posts: 2
    is the center dash speaker wire on the amplifier in the trunk? what color is the wire? :confuse:
  • doctorkizzledoctorkizzle Member Posts: 2
  • otraotra Member Posts: 2
    did you have the timing belt replaced? also the cam position ensor and the crank position sensors may be out.

check out 300m enthusiats club online for more info
  • gbuchaigbuchai Member Posts: 1
    The cam and crank sensors have been replaced and The engine will not start. Timing belt has been replaced. Battery is good.
    Can't do analytics without the engine running.
    No spark to the plugs.

Please help.
    Has anyone had this problem and what was the solution?
  • skip68skip68 Member Posts: 2
    I have a banging noise from the rear of my 2001 300M I took it to 2 muffler shops and had the rear struts replaced.

Any Ideas?
  • lovejoneslovejones Member Posts: 2
    i have a 99 Chrysler 300m ...the battery light came on while I was driving and the lights in the car went dem ... the outside light weren't Eveb on ... I tried excelarate but the car Was actb like it didn't want to move ... I finally got it home and the light in sude the car began to flicker on and off .. and the car Wldnt stay idled once I turned it off no start please can some one help ..
  • lovejoneslovejones Member Posts: 2
  • trob6975trob6975 Member Posts: 1
    First you want to check your alternator and battery if the charging system is working properly. Most shops can check the status of these two items within 30 minutes. If the problem continues there might be electrical damage involved that needs to be addressed by an electrical auto mechanic. I have a 2002 300m special and it did the exact same thing on the road.
  • mommyof02mommyof02 Member Posts: 2
    Ok so recently I have been having some issues with my car. One day I was driving down the road and all of a sudden all of the interior lights in my car started blinking. Then a few days later they would come on while I was driving and stay on. I couldnt turn them off. It happened for a few days and then it stopped. It hasnt happened again. Then a few weeks later I had to go run some errands and after about the third place that I stopped at when I went to start my car it wouldnt start. I had to sit there for about 30 minutes and then it started. Now it just does it randomly. I thought maybe it was the heat since it was over 100 degrees outside when this started happening. I figured with the heat outside and turning my car on and off multiple times while I ran in places just didnt mix. Now its cooler outside and its still happening. It only does it when I have alot to do and have to run in and out of places. Every single time I have to sit and wait for 20-30 minutes and then it will just start.........PLEASE Help me. I have no clue what to do. I keep getting stuck in the worse places with my 2 babies in the car.
  • mommyof02mommyof02 Member Posts: 2
  • ca2stay1ca2stay1 Member Posts: 2
    These are 2 separate issues. The blinking lights, usually accompanied by the clicking sound of the circuit breaker tripping, is associated with the dimmer trim wheel. I've had this problem over the years and it's just no big deal. It comes and goes with no particular rhyme or reason. Sometimes I just roll the trim wheel to full on and full off, then put the level where I want it and the blinking goes away. Annoying, but not a problem.

The stalling - there are a couple of different issues here. I had a stalling problem while driving and it turned out to be the fuel pump. My friend had the intermittent start problem and it turned out to be the camshaft sensor. This sensor tells the ECU where the cam is in it's cycle so it knows which plug to fire and when. This sensor was replaced and his problem went away.

Could it be something else - yes - but these are good starts. It's still a great car. I have 230k miles on mine.
  • faveredhighlyfaveredhighly Member Posts: 2
  • faveredhighlyfaveredhighly Member Posts: 2
    while driving my chrystler 300m the wheels locked up but the steering wheel was turning just fine ..the mech said he had never even heard of anything like this ever happening.. the bolts were sheered off
  • tntalways1020tntalways1020 Member Posts: 4
    Can i ask what fixed your no start problem? We have changed cam sensor, crank position sensor, the timing belt is fine. Still wont start