Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Tires, Tires, Tires

Comments

• jweaver1jweaver1 Member Posts: 25
    I purchased a set of 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks (DM-V1) 215/70R-16 mounted on 16 X 7 Sport Edition D5 wheels with TPMS sensors installed for $1130.
    Before I purchased the Outlander, I asked the dealer how much it would cost to synchronize the sensors to the car two times a year. He gave me an estimate of $45. each time ($90 a year). I got him to agree to do this for free as long as I own the car!
    The spare doesn’t have a TPMS since it is only supposed to be for temporary use.
    I put the snows on last week, and just had the sensors programmed today (for free) so the warning light is now out on the dash. The dealer even gave me a free oil change to boot!
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    TPMS: What a wonderful money grabbing scheme legislated for that purpose.
    (somehow I was always able to look after my own tires just fine thank you)
    I wonder what's next ? In NYS they will now only install a pair of new tires on the rear, even if you just replaced that set last month. (doesn't make a difference if your car is FWD, RWD, or AWD.)
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    A set of 4-TPMS sensor may cost about $230, this meant that you paid about $900 for the 4-set of new 16” alloy wheels. You did a good deal with your Mitsubishi dealer to do the job of re-programming the ETAC-ECU, exchanging the wheels, and balancing them at the same time, and all of these free of cost, is really a good deal indeed. TPMS is not compulsory in Europe and there many detractor of this directives in the USA and Canada. It hasn’t been demonstrated that TPMS reduces the number of accident in roads since its implementation.

Perhaps you may give us your experiences of driving your GT with a set of 16” wheels with tyres 215/70R16. How is the grip and maneuverability at high speed on snow and mud? Do you feel more secure driven your car? I think you could give us a firsthand experience of the capability of your car at any road conditions with the brand new set of wheels and tires?
    In 2001 a bill was sent to Congress that will require automobile manufacturer to provide the same information to independent repair shops as they do for dealer shops. The bill is intended to end the unfair monopoly of car manufacturer maintaining control over repair information that could result in independent shops turning away car owners due to lack of information. The bill would require manufacturers to provide diagnostic, service and repair information free to vehicle owners and repair facilities. Only New Jersey has opted to go ahead with the bill.

The need for Right to Repair legislation has become a necessity in order to protect the rights of car owners to decide where and how they have their vehicles serviced, whether at a new car dealer or an independent service facility. Right to Repair ensures that the person, who bought the car and not the car company, can decide where that vehicle is repaired and maintained.

Technical Bulletin Service (TBS) is only issue to dealers, Special Service Tools (SST) is only sold to dealers, and some car parts are only available if you service your car in a dealer or franchiser. Many specific procedures for repairing your car (publications, CD/DVD) are only given to dealers with few exceptions.

The main objective of the bill is that manufacturers as for example MMA, provides a section dedicated exclusively to car’s owners where information about Mitsubishi car conveyed to dealers is automatically published in this section for discretional use of car owners
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    While having properly inflated tires will provide better handling ability v. under-inflated tires, I prefer to think about TPMS as a vehicle maintenance device more than a safety device.

If you can see a tire is low, it's likely to be very under-inflated. So much that the tire is wearing unevenly. I view TPMS as the "early warning system" so that I can keep my tires at the proper inflation, thus maximizing the tire's lifespan. Low tires also hurt a vehicle's fuel economy.

The average consumer does not check their tire pressure at every fill-up like we did in the '70s. Most don't check it monthly. I'd guess many don't check it at all and rely on the tires being checked when the car is serviced for some other reason. And with service intervals getting longer and longer tires will be checked less and less often.

I'm interested enough in cars to be on these forums and I don't even check the tire pressure regularly. Or at all, now that I have a car that checks it for me.

The real question, then, should be if the cost of a TPMS outweighs the value it returns. I'm not sure there's sufficient data to make a determination on that just yet. To the individual who never gets a flat, their advantage would likely be subtle in that they can potentially go a few thousand more miles before they need to buy replacement tires. And they'll get optimal fuel economy (a few percent higher than with under-inflated tires). Replacement tire costs are deferred, not avoided. If they keep their cars a long enough time that may save the price of a full set of tires.

For the tire manufacturers, tires having a longer life = fewer tires purchased so they've no profit motive in this. For the automakers, a properly engineered TPMS will be useful across their entire product line so their costs are spread out. It does add parts cost, assembly cost, and engineering effort but those shouldn't be substantial.

In the end it's probably a wash on consumer cost v. benefit.

BTW if you search for wheels @ TireRack.com, they note prices for the 4 TPMS sensors at around $200 for a '10 Outlander GT.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    edited December 2010
    The problem I have with TPMS is it's mandated. I say let people that want it pay for it. I would prefer to look after my own tires and not fail an inspection because of a faulty sensor. I am then held hostage till I pay the man to fix the fault which really had no bearing on the safety of the car. That $200 for 4 sensors is better spent on 2 tires IMHO. As has been previously discussed every time you change tires the sensors have to be serviced and of course new sensors are needed for a new set of wheels. This country is becoming over legislated and over mandated and we are the ones who foot the bill in the end because we assume everyone must be a moron or bowing to pressure from industry lobbyists. Airbags are fine, but TPMS = no. The next item might be tying in the windshield washer fluid sensor to prevent the car from starting (don't trust people to keep it filled). And if that sensor fails you won't get to work that day despite the washer is actually working. More needless costs piled onto the price of a vehicle. I do get a discount on insurance for airbags and ABS, but not TPMS.
  • chiefstinkytoechiefstinkytoe Member Posts: 21
    Seems to get good ratings on Tirerack, anyone try the Hankooks?--needing a new set of All-Seasons for my 08 Outie SE. Slipping a bit too much here in Denver, today was a little scary in one inch of slush. My Goodyear Eagles LS-2's are done, 34K miles
    If you have done with your Goodyear more than 34K miles then the Hankook H727 is good for you.
  • mayda1mayda1 Member Posts: 12
    almost went with the hancooks, but went with the goodyear assurance triple treads for my 3- season tire. great on rain soaked roads and they saved me recently when some [non-permissible content removed] in a cadillac suv riding side by side hit a puddle at 75mph and spun out. i quickly reacted and did not lose traction and i was missed by inches. on dry roads they're adequate but feel a bit strange( that's for another email), and they're even highly rated in snow. but come snow season i go right to my nokian hakkepelleta's ( probably in the top 2 or 3 snows on the market) and they've been great. have had both brands for years and there's no excessive tread wear to date. i don't think the SE (or other Outlanders) are all that stable in the snow. that may be true for other small suvs as well, i don't know; but my tires go through anything and especially with the lock option. you have to be careful not to lock up the brakes, however.
    that's about it for today..david
  • authurdentauthurdent Member Posts: 82
    Greetings! Haven't posted at Edmunds for a long while. Still not a big fan of the new site.

Anyway, we got a big nail stuck in our passenger/rear tire. The puncture was too close to the edge to patch, so I needed to get, not one, but TWO new tires! Our Goodyear Eagles only had 4000 miles, so this seemed like such a waste.

Eagle 225/55/18s were discontinued, which prompted the purchase of a set. While I've always liked Michelin, it seemed to make more sense for match and cost to get the suggested Dunlops or Kellys. The Goodyear dealer favored the Kelly for road noise.

Already on the ride home, I think the front-mounted Kellys track better and steer less squirrely verses the Eagles. Anyone with Kelly Navigator Touring Gold experience? I still might like to get Michelin Primacys, but these Kellys seem decent for now.
  • chiefstinkytoechiefstinkytoe Member Posts: 21
    Went ahead and got the Hankooks and like them so far. Seem to be much quieter than the Eagles.
    after 2 5500 mile trips x-cty in 3 months and 60800 miles on my Outlander SE;
    my Goodyear Assurance triple treads tires have been trouble free with the exception of an annoying vibration from one tire that can't be fixed with balancing ( could be my tire or the rim, just don't know). hasn't been a problem in rain or general handling. and my tires are going strong with minimal tread wear.
    my Hakepelleta's will be going on in a month or so; but i may look at the hankooks or michelin mvx4 for a replacement if i can get more feedback from the forum.... or just go with the newer Goodyear assurance tires recommended( by Goodyear). Consumer reports just did a review on all season and all terrain tires and the Goodyear assurance tires were not mentioned. michelin's were, but the tire sizes aren't available for the recommended models. the cooper's and hankook's are also top picks. don't know about sizes.
    thanks
    david
  • leand2leand2 Member Posts: 11
    I have an 2007 Outlander, which was used, equipped with General GS80? tires. I just replaced them with General Grabber tires, having reading Consumer Reports giving a good snow rating. It snows perhaps 5-7 times a year in NY, from a light snow to more. I noticed immediately with the new tires on dry road that the car seemed to pull or "grab" the road to either the left or right, on a straight non-graveled road. The mechanic who put them on indicated the tires were fine, no alignment or other problem. It decidedly feels more "bouncy." I just attempted to drive in about less than an inch of snow, probably just really a dusting, and I couldn't stop the car at about 25 mph - it just kept sliding forward at least 3 car lengths towards the stop sign, while I pushed hard to break (it made a strong vibration), though it didn't stop.
    Don't know why these tires wouldn't work, if I would need snow tires for sure, where to put them (front or back only), and what would be a good brand and item. These Grabbers are rated S, just as the prior ones. I know it says H rating for this car, but my research indicated H was fine. Can I put two snows on with different ratings? I see mention of stability control - not sure if this is a switch that needs to be turned on. In the past in snow, the car would automatically put itself in 2 or 1 when the road was slippery. I did not see this happen. Don't know if when new tires put on a stability control would be turned off to do that? Also tried 4 more times that night on other stretches of road, same problem - did not break in time. One posting here mentioned harder sidewall, presumably relating to H, may have to do with traction, although General GS80 were also S rated. Please help - afraid to drive car!
    Also noticed with new all season tires - General Grabbers (I think HTS), that barely moved the steering wheel an inch, and they seemed to turn quite a bit, unlike before with the other General tires. Now supersensitive - not sure if that's good, particularly if in potentially unsafe situation, could overshoot reaction, if a young driver.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    The first step in trying to diagnose this is to make sure you are using the correct size and inflation pressure. You mentioned that it feels "bouncy", which sounds like too much inflation pressure. Too much inflation pressure might cause the vehicle to try to follow the ruts and grooves in the pavement - and you mentioned that as well.

According to Tire Guides, a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander should take a P215/70R16 at 32 psi. Please check your vehicle tire placard to make sure this is correct.

The vehicle tire placard is usually loacted on a doorpost or in the glove box, but sometimes it is located on the fuel filler door or in the trunk.

Check that and I'll bet you will find the shop put in the wrong pressure - a common occurance.

If that doesn't work, post back.
    I'm running Goodyear assurance triple treads for 3 seasons here in Vt. and Hakkapelitta(Nokians) in winter. both are great(but expensive) tires, but both give me similar performance problems like those mentioned. mine almost feel like my front right is out of alignment, but i thought it was the tire and keep having the dealer rebalance etc every season. but could this be a problem with the outlander itself? Hmmm.... other than that i have 70k trouble free miles on my '09 SE. love my Mitsu!
    First of all, i'm told you should have 4 like(similar, same brand) snows on (which i do). the only time i've experienced your slide and vibration symptoms is in heavy snow( but i have 4-wheel), i was going too fast. while 25mph seems reasonable, if you drive defensively knowing you have a potentially dumb driver in front of you, or one going too fast to make a stop or turn, or if you know you're going to need to stop you just really have to slow down much sooner and never slam those breaks which is instant death even with stability control. think smart.....now, that lecture given, if you truly only had an inch of snow(assuming it wasn't packed already) , well then it sounds like a tire or inflation problem as previously noted. the choppy break vibration is the stability control trying to find traction and i think is normal for our break system. good luck to both of us. the Nokians are a great snow but they'll cost upwards of $900 (4)
    I checked the tires pressure yesterday - the front two were 22 and the back were 32 - apparently they were mistakenly filled 10 lbs lower when I had the tires put on recently. I tried to re-create the scene yesterday, but there was no snow, and the road was dry. It actually was probably less than a quarter inch - only a dusting and I could still see the road. I estimated that it was probabably more like 5 car lengths slipped forward, at about 25 mph. Could the tire pressure differential caused excess slippage? I pushed hard on the brakes then, but no control. During tests that night, downshifting to 2 and 1, even light braking seemed to affect steering (wheels turned a bit even on straight tests in same dusting). Any reason to think maybe 2 tires fronts losing pressure simultaneously since put on only 2 weeks ago?
    Turning the car on today, the ABS light does go on, then off seconds later, as normal. Car does have ACS system (noted manual says if so equipped). Didn't look to see is ABS or ACS lights on or off when I had situation, or tested that night. Tomorrow am to snow - will look then.
    What is the other system called where car seemed to automatically downshift in snow - didn't happen in situation or tests that night. Could putting on new tires disengage it?
    Thanks so much for being a part of a great team of responders.
  • jonoxjonox Member Posts: 100
    Sounds as though you were trying to stop on ice with your front tires under-inflated by 10 lbs. It's little wonder you had stability and braking problems.

The ASC is always automatically activated when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position. On rare occasions if you should find yourself stuck in snow, sand or mud the ASC may limit the engine speed making it difficult to move. In these circumstances traction may be improved if (while the vehicle is at rest) the ASC is deactivated by pressing the ASC OFF button for three seconds. This is not normal operation and you might want to consult your owners manual to read up on it.
    I am fairly certain there was no ice or really any snow (but just a dusting and I could see the road), when it happened. Of course, the tire under-inflation was a major cause of the problem.

You mention about being stuck in snow or mud, but I remember other times when the car would automatically shift downward, and it only occurred when there was noticeable amounts of snow - anywhere from 1/4 or 1/2 inch up to an inch or two. I thought it was a good thing that the car automatically did this (particularly with a new student driver with little years of experience). You indicate its not normal and to check the manual, but there is no referenceto the car automatically downshifting, at all. It also did not seem to downshift during the clear slippage two days ago, as it did in the prior snowy season. That's why I wondered if the new tires could affect that, or perhaps the difference in pressure.
    Are you indicating its best to turn off ASC only when stuck, but not when there is a snowy condition of half-inch on upward of snow? By having ASC off or on, would it affect the tightness of the steering, and would dry or wet conditions be a factor? If there is a good way to operate (turn it on or off) in wet/snow conditions (not totally stuck in snow) with an inexperienced teen, please advise. Seems the steering is now a little too sensitive, and concern may overreact to situation.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    You're trying to do too many changes at once. Verfiy the inflation pressure change before you move on.
    In NORMAL operation the Active Stability Control (ASC) has overall control of the traction control, anti-lock braking and skid control functions. These control systems can be compromised by improper tire selection (and possibly grossly under-inflated tires!!).

The ASC can limit your engine speed (as you have noticed) and normally the only reason you might want to switch it off - TEMPORARILY- is if your are stuck in snow, sand or mud and need more revs to help you get out.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I've found it best to always leave the ASC on. I also have General Grabber tires with about 18K on them and they are still performing great in this Wisconsin winter, though this has been a mild one. I have an '07 Awd with 55K.

Now on my Lincoln LS with rear drive, I need to switch the traction control off frequently to get the tires spinning enough to get the car going. Really makes me appreciate the Outlander, my wife won't even drive the Lincoln in winter.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    I make sure the ASC control is always ON when I am driving above 30 miles/hour regardless of the road surface. The ASC may kick on (light temporarily), I may think, when I am driving at high speed on zigzag roads, covered with snow, rain, mud or gravel. I have experienced this ASC flashing light on the control panel when the vehicle was taken over by the ASC system at high speed and driving dangerously.

When I am driving at slow speed for more than 15 minutes sometimes I switch off the ASC because I think that I am able to control the car at that speed (regardless of the condition of the road). The advantage of doing this is less consumption of petrol, I think. Nevertheless, please do not take my words as if I were an expert.
    Thank you for your reply - I have had numerous responses, and follow-up tests by myself. I did have new Generals HTS on all four, noticed rated M + S on wheel - wonder is M rating is also a snow rating. The tire tread depth is quite deeper than the previous General G80's. The reason I pushed hard and firm to floor progressively (did not slam), and entire car concurrently shook (definitely not typical ABS feel/reaction), was car kept sliding up to 5 car lengths. I saw it wasn't responding so thought to keep foot to pedal firm.

Did check a week after this incident, tire pressures in front both down to 22 from 32. I put in air, saw mechanic next day, said recheck in few days. Now four days later one front 26, and other front 32. Taking it today
    If you check my note for today, I found after tire pressure of front tires were down to 22 from 32 only 2 weeks after installation and incident, I
    re-inflated them 4 days ago. Checked last night - down to 26 for one of them, the other stayed at 32. I have noticed "slippery road" notice written come on, but I was hardly driving fast - maybe even at 20-30 mph, even in dry road, or rain. Hasn't snowed much last year to recall what happened then.
    I'm fairly sure these tires are proper - even though not H rating but S, it was explained to me (I contacted several tire outlets), that H rating so high, if car is over 120 mph, so sidewalls are stronger, to prevent blowout.

I noted to mechanic tire pressure light did not go on after I discovered week after incident, 2 weeks after installation, down to 22 PSI fronts - he said didn't know calibration Mitsi set for it to go off. It could be only when its remarkably more. Makes sense, as other times I could actually see low tires after I noted light on. Said to check tires again, four days later now down to 26 one front, other 32. Bringing it in - any theories why loss?

Car's reaction during incident definitely not like typical ABS response - whole car thundered. Mechanic explained ABS relationship - would have been better to let foot slight off brakes or all off brakes, then re-apply - would have had better control, and for future events. When I tried 4 experiments on same road that night, also pushed gradually to firm hold (did not slam from start) and car shook. Noticed even slight pressure on brakes made car swerve. (Didn't look at screen to see notices).

I note your remark re turning off ACS only snow - fortunately haven't had much at all.
    Thanks - nice to hear someone else has same tires. Here, only 2 snow falls so far, but only this one with Grabbers so shocked they did not work well (though may be due to low 22 PSI loss). I haven't had enough snow to get a traction problem. This car is only a 2WD.
    In past, of the few snow falls, car automatically down shifted to 2 and 1, a preventative measure to slow car - I thought this would be automatic, but didn't happen during incident nor 4 experiments that night. Mechanic indicated car will judge whether to engage this or not, each time - its not a given. Forgot term/name of this device in manual. Too bad - thought it great for young driver.
    Thanks so much for your remark re pressure - found new tires - 2 front down to 22 from 32 in only 2 weeks. Put in air, let mechanic know, said check again, 4 days later, one is down to 26, other stayed at 32. Bringing in now to see what's happening. Great clue to the problem!!!!!
    M + S = Mud and Snow..still not as good as snows if you're in a snowy area
    like you are.
    I've got 4 Goodyear Triple treads for my SE. and i've loved them(esp in rain) except for 1 tire which i want to replace as i just think it's out of "round"(vibration no matter what's done)
    Anyway, i've got over 50,000 miles on them and my question is this: can I replace just the two front (where the bad one was last) which would still leave me with 50 k miles on the rears and zero on new ones...or must i replace all 4 because of the mileage difference that would result? thanks for the help someone...P.S. i may try 4 Michelins per Consumer Reports last tire review, but that'll be a $1000+ expense and i just went on a fixed income....thank u
    Batman,

Good to hear from you. From your previous posts you've tested the Outlander on difficult South American road conditions that most of us will never see, (even in Southern Ontario!).

For less experienced drivers though, reliance on ASC to keep out of trouble in tricky road conditions should be good advice even though having the ASC suddenly do its own thing takes a bit of getting used to. As you indicated, the safe thing for drivers in these circumstances is to slow down!
    The Yokohama tires on my Outlander GT 2010 have reached 23,000 miles and they are ready to be replaced by new ones not necessarily by the same ones.

I have a lot of praise for these tires. I think they have been very good indeed especially on inhospitable terrain where they were used 90 % of the time. In my opinion, these tires fit nicely with the overall image of the Outlander GT as a capable and reliable 4WD SUV.

The tires, when they were new, created noise. However it appears nowadays that that noise has diminished, and that phenomenon may be attributed to the natural wearing off of the rubber and the loss of the 7 mm groove depth.

My new Outlander GT 2012 will kept its OEM tires (i.e. Good Year), but I will buy a set of four Yokohama Geolander A/T-S to bring with me when shipping this car to Norway (Europe).

I am aware that in the last 2-years brand new tires have appeared on the market and perhaps they may be superior to the Geolander. However, I may say, it can be scientifically demonstrated that if you want tires with good grip in all terrain, the design of the grooves and deepness are essential. If the grooves have an aggressive design (pattern), the tires will be noisier, I think.

I drove the Outlander XLS 2008 to Alaska (Dead Horse town) with the original tires. Although the road was without tarmac, the road itself was very well maintained. The OEM tires were no match and the overall performance was poor (with the exception of the tire’s noise that was minimal).
    I think, although I have not yet gained experience, that if you want to take your Outlander on inhospitable terrain the best choice may be the combination of tires and wheels, i.e. 215/70R16. Few people will like to have 2, 4-set of alloy wheels at home; for this last situation perhaps 225/60R18 will be useful.

South American roads (no tarmac) commonly called “ripio” are very hard for any type of tires.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    why are you going to Norway? Vacation or job assignment?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    I am looking to buy a set for my 07 as well. But I wonder how these would do in medium snow, like say 3 to 4 in thick. I believe these are not Mountain/Snowflake certified tires, but looking at the tread pattern, it looks like it will hold well on mild to moderate snow storms.

The other one I'm looking at is the Goodyear Fortera Tripltread, but it's very costly. However, it is mountain/snowflake certified for severe snow storms.
    The “mountain/snowflake certified” I think is manufactured with soft rubber that may be good on snow and icy roads. However, it is most probable that it will wear off rapidly on any type of road other than roads with snow or ice.
    as i've mentioned in previous responses my goodyear assurance triple treads now have 60,000 miles on them with plenty of tread left(90% hwy). 23000k on your yokohamas sounds a bit lame(but they do get good reviews from consumer reports). the triple treads have been great in the wets, not so good in snow even though rated high. it's really a 3 season tire. I purchased hakkepellta (Nokian)studded snows a few years back...and it's true, you get what you pay for (at least in this case). Fantastic in snow(here in VT.), and while not rated that highly in the wets i've had no slipping or sliding at hwy speeds.
    i'm going to switch out to new tires next month. has anyone run MIchelins?
    Sorry to reply late.

I will be in Norway and Scandinavian countries for about 6-months. From there I will make my way to Moscow (Russia) and tour the south of Russia (e.g. Sochi ski resort).

I am just an adventurer. I get more of the money from bank loans. During my adventure I rent my house and go away. I am lucky because my wife also like to do the same. My children are adult now, so not commitments. To do what I do is a lot of fun. Live is very short man. I do this before I get serious ill or decrepit.
    I returned the car to the mechanic - tires checked fine, perhaps inadvertently let out pressure when checking all tires, although did show low psi for front two only, at two gas stations that day. As of now, tires keeping pressure - thanks to all for helping, and will monitor it regularly.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I get ya. Sounds like fun. Enjoy!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• popeye8843popeye8843 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '07 LS with OEM's (Yokohama's) :) & pushing 27k & 2 on front need replacing now & the other 2 could prob go another 1-2k miles.
  • beargator56beargator56 Member Posts: 35
    Just an update on the Yokohama Avid TRZ tires. I turned the car in with over 44k miles on them, and the Yoko's had plenty of tread left. Grip and ride were still consistent.

Definitely a worthy replacement tire.

I bought a new 2012 Outlander... still the same Goodyear garbage. I'm starting my new tire fund now, knowing that I'll only get about 26k miles out of them...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some people have reported that they've gotten good deals trading in "new" tires on a replacement set of tires, so you may want to ask your local tire shop if they can do that for you.

Congrats on the new ride!
    I have Yokohama A/T-S on mine, OEM sizing. These tires are just awesome. can't wait for winter. Hopefully it performs well. Wet performance is superb. Drove through a thunderstorm along Lake SHore Dr in Chicago. No problem with hydroplaning at all.
    I will not replace the OEM tires of my Outlander 2012 GT for the Geolandar A/T-S. Presently I am still using the original tires sold with the car.

The grooves of the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S ought to be softened or smoothed a bit to decrease the tire noise that is very evident when they are new (perhaps with a few exceptions). Most probably Yokohama will manufacture the A/T-S (which are very good indeed in any weather conditions) with a softer groove pattern (or little less aggressive look).

I have done a quick search about tires that may have the same grip as the Geolandar but with much less noise. They are: Falken HS-439 (Eurowinter), 225/60R18, $160.00 each; Falken HS-439 (Eurowinter) 225/55R18, $185.00. Equally: the Continental Winter Contact TS 830P, 225/60R18, $282.00 each. The A/T-S 225/55R18 is about $215.

Reviews about these tires give 4.5 stars (from 5-star excellent) to the Winter Contact and 4.0 for the Falken HS-439 for driving in snow/ice. I do not have any facts about the tire noise, but independent tire testers give both types of tires 4-stars on noise. The same independent testers give the A/T-S 2-3 stars on noise.

When I bought my 2010 GT I did a deal with my dealership (CEO) where he will buy my OEM tires. I do not remember but I think he gave me $450-$500 for the four tires. I ordered from Tirerack the A/T-S to be shipped directly to the dealer’s address. The dealer balanced the new tires and kept the OEM tires. Remember the tire man will balance your tire with sticking/adhesive weights (5 gm -10 gm weights). The original wheel from Japan came with balance weights of 30 gm -50 gm -70 gm. My wheels (after the dealer returned my car to me) were packed with 10 to 15 little balance weights because they usually do not stock balancing weights above 10 gm. If you do not like the new look of your wheel packed with so many little balancing weights you may order adhesive balancing weights heavier than 10 gr.

Here are the part numbers: MN103216 (15 gram), MN103217 (20 gram), MN103218 (25 gram), MN103219 (30 gram), MN103220 (35 gram), MN 103221 (40 gram), MN103223 (50 gram).

You may order these weights before the dealer balances your wheels and give the weights to the tire man when balancing the wheels. If the tire man needs 50 grams to balance one point of your wheel he most probably will stick onto your wheel 5 (10 gram) or 10 (5 gram). You just give him only one 50-gram balancing weight and the tire man will be happy to do it. Talk with the tire man first and make clear to him/her your wishes.

Tire Rack does not deal with Falken tires so you may need to look for another company, e.g. 1010tires.com or discount tires, etc.

I think good car handling (zig/zag curved roads) depends mainly on the electronics that accompany the car for maneuvering at high speed (e.g. Tarmac, Snow, and Look). I was on Vancouver Island, on my way to Tofino, and it happens that a Subaru Forester (it looked very new) wanted to have a go on those curved roads by harassing me behind my Outlander. The speed limit was 55-60 miles per hour. Light rain was falling (wet roads) on the road. Based on my past experience driving this car I set the car to snow driving and set the cruise control to 50 miles per hour (only to get the Forester out of my sight). I drove the car for about 45 minutes without changing the cruise control setting on these curving roads and after 15 minutes I did not seen anymore the Forester harassing me at all. Suddenly I remembered that my tires were the OEM tires (Goodyear) and not the Yokohama A/T-S!

Perhaps 90 % of drivability (safety) of the GT rests in its front limited slip differential that the Subaru Forester does not have, even the Outback does not have it. Based on this past experience I may change the Good Year OEM tires after 25K – 30K for the Falken.
    I can tell you right now that the Geolandar A/T-S are actually quieter than Goodyear Eagle LS2 that came as OEM. This was a surprise finding as well as I've expected the Geolandar A/T-S to be much noisier. So I am really happy I got the tires as replacement.I have winter to worry about where I live, so that's why I got the A/T-S.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like a fun road that I need to hit. Durn, now you have me hungry for a Nanaimo bar. :)
    edited March 2014
    Outlander GT 2012: 16000 miles

Today I have installed 5-tires on my 5- full size alloy wheels. My original Goodyear tires are still operational. They still have 2 mm of deepness (groove), and I am keeping those tires for later use.

I am preparing the car for my next project that consists of driving to Sochi (Russia) for the Winter Olympics in February 2014. I bought 5-tires Falken HS449 (Eurowinter) 225/60R18. The result of changing the OEM tire profile can be sensed almost immediately. The ride is smoother, silent, and consumption of petrol seems to have decreased. Road imperfections are not as noticeable. In summary the ride is much better.

Each tire has the "winter" logo which is a requirement in some countries in Europe when driving in winter

Changing the stock tires to 225/60R18 was the best action I did to drive in Russia. The roads in Russia are horrendous with few exceptions near Moscow and St. Petersburg. 10,000 miles of use and they still look very good indeed.