Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Tires, Tires, Tires

Comments

• solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    I put on a set of 225/60R18 YK 520's in Jan. from Discount tire...

100% improvement from the OEM Goodyears. :)
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I like Cooper Tires. I have Zeon's on my Lincoln LS.

Anyone with an Outlander LS and the factory Yokohama's with much more than 20K on them? Mine with 20K are wearing but have life left in them, I was wondering about what I could get out of them.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • outlander_ladoutlander_lad Member Posts: 4
    Yes.
    I too was very unhappy with my OEM tires, very poor performance. No grip.
    I did my research, I wanted max performance and I am willing to pay for GRIP on corners and especially on freeways. I found TWO good choices, The Consumer Reports recommended Goodyear, which I generall prefer or the Perrelli, which I have now. Very happy.
    I have nothing good to say about Michelin, I used to run these but their quality deteriorated so badly and I had so much belt seperations and car damage at highway speeds that I wouldn't used them if they were free. By the way, the Perrelli has been outstanding so far, my tires will out perform my Outlander for top end thats for sure.
    One minor issue I have had though, I am having to ungrade to a full laser jammer, this outlander is just a little too quick, but it's a nice problem to have......happy motoring. Now if I could just get decent service......
  • costello1costello1 Member Posts: 60
    I just replaced my 07 xls pieces of crap Goodyears for a new set of michellin primacy . I can't believe Mitsi put those tires on the Outlander . I has 22k on them and they would slip all over , worn tread and very noisey. Even my wife who knows nothing about tires commented on how bad they were . The new tire change the whole driving experience , much less noise and the ride is improved greatly!!
  • mayda1mayda1 Member Posts: 12
    i have a new outlander( < 1 month old) and just drove x-cty with it and now have 6100 miles on my vehicle (purchased thanks to "cash for clunkers", endless research, and a fair price that i got when i included my jetta as a two-fer).
    going x-cty i saw only 4 other outlanders! what's up with that? is mitsu happy enough with foreign sales that they don't promote this vehicle? oh well that's for another forum, but thus far my car has performed flawlessly and i'm very happy with my purchase. mitsu needs more advocates i guess.
    anyway, was unhappy as soon as i read my first review of the stock tire...so i'm looking, especially now, for a replacement. i'm down to 2 tires; an all season and a snow as i'm in northern new england. both i had on my jetta and loved. the first was the goodyear assurance triple tread . my question with that one is whether it would be adequate in a fairly snowy, cold region? i know it's great on wet , but how about snow?. the other tire is the nokian hakkapeliitta which made driving in snow like night and day compared to my stock jetta tires.i'm open for other tires as well, but for those who have the 18" wheels you know there's not that much "good" available. thank you for your reply and help
    Your car all wheel drive? If so, you'll have no problem with an all season tire.
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    I was going to get the Avon Ranger TSE tires for my 2007 Outlander LS, but I see the tire rack no longer has them in the 215/70R16 size (seem to be phasing them out and only a few sizes remain). After a bit of research I ended up ordering some General Grabber HTS at $91 each. (I'm not working now and keeping cost down, but these appear to be a great value for LS owners, though not as cheap as the Ranger TSE's would have been at $79. ea). I like the somewhat blockier tread vs the almost straight lines of the original Yokohama Geolander tires that wore the fronts out at under 20K with no rotation (my bad) . Review shows the to be fairly decent in snow and noise level, etc. nobody local came close to the shipped price from Tire Rack.

Have a look and I'll review after I get them mounted in the next few days.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+HTS
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    The Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 225/55R18 is an excellent tire on tarmac, ice, snow, mud, gravel, sand, and water. I tried this tire for more than 6-months in Europe. The grip is fantastic. My previous car had 235/60R16 Geolandar A/T &#150; S. I expect to use these tires in my new 2010 Outlander GT instead of the Goodyear LS2- all seasons. Four years ago the size 225/55R18 was not manufactured but from this month October this new size is offered in the US. Very good news. Price is $136 each from tire rack.com

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    thanks for the comeback. i thought about the Geolanders but decided on (and have ordered) some Nokian Hakkapellitta's as several local dealers think the Nokians are one of the best on the market if price isn't an object( price is but i won't mess around when it comes to safety and tires). i had these on my jetta for 2 winters and they were great. hopefully that will transfer over to the Outlander. my only hesitation was that in one of the forums or reviews hydroplaning on wet was given a low rating. that wasn't the case with my jetta hakka's, so i'll give 'em a try and review them here later being that it's October and the snows already flying they may get a workout earlier than expected....now that that decision has been made what am i going to switch to come next May (as i'm just not happy with the LS2's).
    suggestions?
    Just to clarify: There are Geolanders and then there are Geolanders.(I see Yokohama has no less than 14 different tires sporting the Geolander name) The OEM tires for the LS I referred to in my post are the Geolander HTG033. It's not the worst tire I've ever had, rather so-so, but the wear is bad. I look for something decent in snow when I buy a tire and once again they are rather ho-hum there. I see some other people agree on the Tire Rack review of the tire (It's not me as one of the 2 Outlander owners posting in the review at the bottom)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+H%- - 2FT+G033
    The Yokohama Geolandar A/T &#150; S 98H G012 is &#147;All Terrain&#148;. It is not just winter. What makes this tire special is the patter design of its Grooves and Center Blocks all of what have been patented. That is what the tire is excellent for all terrain (which is season related).

The Nokian is a good tire for winter. I personally and physically inspected this tire Hakkapeliitta and the rubber is soft indeed which is good for winter low temperature but out of this season the tire wears off pretty soon. Check the following pdf file.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar_ats.pdf
    The Yokohama Geolandar A/T &#150; S 98H G012 looks like a good tire if you're looking for all terrain. I'm just looking to "have my cake and eat it too" with an all season tire for the road. (something that has good all season traction, is reasonably quiet and lasts a decent amount.) Off roading is not something I personally do much at all. Having 4WD in the Outlander helps a lot in that I find a regular snow tire is not necessary if I choose a decent enough tire to begin with. With the extra cost of TPMS mount/balancing/servicing (overkill in my book), it pays to get something that will last a while.
    Well I got the tires mounted and overall pleased so far.I did notice the transition response yielded a bit of squirm compared to the worn stock G033 Geolanders, but with the new deeper and more blockier tread I think this is to be expected. They seem quiet enough and waiting for snow to check them out for the main reason I bought them I see viewing the "Highway All Season" category" they currently rank #1. Time will tell, but check out the snow and overall rating feedback:
    I think it's a decent choice for LS owners (especially for price)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS
  • tcp2tcp2 Member Posts: 66
    I run Hakkapalliita RSi in the winter and the stock geolanders in the summer. We call the outie "the tank" in the winter with those tires...crazy good traction. They are a dedicated winter tire (as are all types within the Hakka line). Will replace the geolanders when they wear out. Not sure with what.
    Looks like one has to choose a slightly different size with the Rsi tires (215-65-16 vs the OEM 70 profile) Man you must really need snows!!! (I didn't have trouble towing a sled trailer even with the OEM Geolanders with my LS 4WD, but wanted to get something a bit better for all around performance). Have you got a really steep driveway or something?
  • haggismanhaggisman Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Would anyone know if it's ok to use a set of 205x60R16 snow tires on a 2009 Outlander V6 AWD ???

Reason I ask is my girlfriend has these tires left over from her 2009 Lancer and they are fairly close in size to stock 215x70R16

Local tire guy said they were "too small" I guess aspect ratio is the issue here.

Any advice appreciated!

Scotty
    If you mean using 'em on only 2 wheels while keeping the 70's on the other 2 wheels, that's a no-no with 4WD. If all 4 are the same tire and circumference, it would be doable, but see below for the difference in speedo error, etc with the OEM tire as the standard.

Spec Sidewall radius Dia circumf revs/mi speedo odo dif
    215/70-16 5.9" 13.9" 27.9" 87.5" 724/mi 60MPH 10000mi N/A
    205/60-16 4.8" 12.8" 25.7" 80.7" 785/mi 65MPH 10843mi -7.8%
    obviously the response(#68) shows that he;s a lot more knowledgeable on the subject than i am. and he's right on when he tells you to apply them in 4's only.
    the supplied mitsu manual is pretty emphatic about using the same size snows (which i did after talking to my local tire dealer that i trust) and while i'm sure a minor size change is ok i went with the expert advice..
    Go to:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

to experiment with tire sizes and comparison. The software also tells you when a replacement is feasible without endanger your life.
  • tcp2tcp2 Member Posts: 66
    I chose them in the 215-65R16 size because they were about $100 cheaper than the 215-70R16 size. There is an SUV version in the 70series and a bit more expensive. My speedo shows about 4% higher than actual speed, but that's ok for winter use. I use exactly the same size on my 4500lb Sienna and they also work great, so I have no need of the SUV version on my 3600lb outlander. We don't have super steep driveways, but winter in Calgary offers a lot of quick changes (snow to rain to freezing rain to -30C and below all in one day sometimes). Regardless of conditions, we can count on getting where we need to go and that peace of mind is worth the extra bucks for these.
    I have a 2010 Outlander GT.

There may be a number of causes for the oscillating noise produced by the tire rotation. The phenomena appears not to be noticeable at very low speed, starts being noticeable at about 20-40 mph, and then it merges with the wind noise around the vehicle at speeds near 70 miles.

On the assumption that the tires are relatively new without manufacture defects, then something else must produce this oscillating tire noise. Observing carefully the tire balancing process performed by the majority of tires shops I was able to observe the balance machine indicating for example a point relative to and on the wheel where the wheel weight that should be attached (adhesive). For example if the balance machine indicates 1.50 ounces, the technician will attach 6 wheel weights of ¼ ounce each. The weight attachment is circumferential at the very outside edge of the wheel. When this is done the balance machine indicates a point after spinning the wheel again that a weight, let&#146;s say, of 0.75 ounces is required to be attached at the inside edge of the wheel. The technician then attaches 3 wheel weights of ¼ ounce each also following the circumferential direction.

My original alloy wheel came from Japan balanced with not more than 1-wheel weight of 25 grams and another 1-wheel weight of 5-grams or 10 grams (each wheel). The curiosity was that the wheel weights were not attached circumferentially but transversally (cross section) and they were attached one adjacent to the other transversally and not close to the edges.

The theory may go this way: The less number of ¼ ounces wheel weights that you attach to you wheel the less oscillating noise will be heard. Equally the pattern how the technician attaches the wheel weights may have an effect on the result of the oscillating noise.
  • beargator56beargator56 Member Posts: 35
    I just took off the stock Goodyears, which had been worn out since 26000 miles. I replaced them with the Yokohama Avid TRZ. I didn't have need for a "truck" tire like the Geolander, and my choice was between the AVID TRZ and Michelin HydroEdges. No one had the Hydro's in stock, so Yoko won by default. Both of these tires were among the highest rated on TireRack for the 225/55 18 size.

It's rainy here in Atlanta today, and so far, so good. They have good grip and no problems when I tested out a hard stop.
  • busta4busta4 Member Posts: 35
    I also just purchased the Avid TRZ . I paid $578 for tires/labor to replace my god awful Good4ayear tires. That set of tires were bald after 20,000 mi. Not a good thing to pay close to $30,000 for a new car only to have inferior tires. Makes me question what else on the Outlander is inferior.

I have noticed my tire pressure warning signal has never gone off in my 07 car. Can I assume that the sensor is broken? A bit odd it has never gone off. I am sure my tire pressure was low at least once or twice.
    great tire!! BUT it was a very mild snowfall year here in VT.(so far), compared to points south. however, half of my 14000 miles were with the nokians and they did everything i asked. no hydroplaning problems and they ran straight and true.
    today i went into my tire dealer wanting to order 4 goodyear tripletread assurance
    tires now that they're made in our size. they get just the best scores (10) on ice rain snow and 8's on the other categories,,, but my dealer can't find them in the 225/55 18's. the dealer didn't think the michelin primacy were all that great, the the yoko's were out of stock as well as the pirelli's. are there no definitive really good 3-season tires out there ? suggestions? thanx
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    OEM tires are rarely optimal. They are matched to the car but beyond that, supplier pricing will weigh heavily in the decision. You're simply not going to get the ideal tire as stock unless you're buying a true performance vehicle.

I hope you don't let the poor tire performance color your opinion of the Outlander overall; that would be doing it a disservice. My wife's Elantra came with Michelin tires and one was defective; it was fine around town but at highway speed when it heated up a leak would appear and it would go flat. My wife was understandably upset at this happening on the first new car she ever owned. Once the tire was replaced, though, things were fine and she's loved the car for the past nearly 9 years.

As mayda1 noted, the TripleTread Assurance Goodyears are very good tires. I've used them on our sedans for a while now and have had no problems whatsoever with traction (way better than the Michelins and Goodyear Eagles) or with them lasting. I'm already planning for them to be the replacements when the OEM tires wear out, regardless of how long the OEMs last. My only dislike with the TripleTread, besides price, was that they have a little more road noise but it's not enough to dissuade me. The better traction was noticeable.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    edited March 2010
    I would do some calling around on the Assurance Tripletread tires to see if they are stocked someplace else. Looking on tirerack.com I see a lot of tires for XLS aren't available or are on backorder (did you call them?) My wife has the Tripletreads on her Malibu and they are working great. Her OEM tires had bad thumping noises and so far these are great on all season traction and quietness, although I've had some bad Goodyear OEM tires (Wranglers) with the thumping bit in the past.

For LS owners it seems the picture is much better for available tires. So far I'm happy with the General Grabber HTS tires I got from Tire Rack (inexpensive and working good, although as has been pointed out this winter in Western NY was not the most challenging). Price was $93 each plus shipping (no tax or tire discard fee charged)
    link titlehttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

Good luck in your hunt
    Man tires have gotten expensive. I just put Goodyear Eagle Gt's on my Lincoln LS.
    $160 a tire with install -warranty- etc. 17" rims, and it made a huge difference in ride, handling, and hopefully traction, though I've only had them a week.

Since the OEM Yoko's on my Outlander made it through another Wisconsin winter, I might try to hold out until fall to replace them. About 29K on the car now,
  • authurdentauthurdent Member Posts: 82
    Not doing too bad with OEMs (Eagles), but I've always liked Michelins on cars and bikes. We often got 60K per set. Our last car had Hydroedge and seemed to be a step up from MXV4. Maybe Primacy is the new top-dog. :shades:
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    I just replaced my stock Goodyears at 42,000 miles, driving the entire time in 4WD auto, urban driving with 50/50 highway and city. I'm not usually a fan of Goodyear tires, but these gave long life and good traction even in snow.

I put on Pirelli P6 (225/55/18), so far they feel about the same as the Goodyears.
  • bafriscobafrisco Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ever had their tire unlocked and stolen without the use of your own wheel key, or someone attempt to steal them and just loosen all 5 lugs on the drivers side?
    It's time to get serious about finding tires for the Outlander. I was looking at them yesterday and the center tread is almost bald. We're taking a trip at end of July definitely need to replace before then.

My LS with 16" Yokohama's just turned 34K.
    If you want to dramatically improve the handling on your outlander try a high speed tire that has a stiff sidewall. What a difference.

M.
    Just bought a set of General Grabber HTS. Kind of an aggressive tread which I wanted for our Wisconsin winters. Good reviews, plus they have raised white outline letters for that old school look. :blush:

Only put about one mile on them so far so hard to say how they perform.
    Tires regarless of the make may need to be changed at 20K-30K in SUV vehicles or 4x4. Sedan or Coupe may need to be changed at 30K-40K miles. This is my own experience. My Lexus SC300 with more than 120K miles needed 2-set of brand new tires. My Outlander XLS required new tires at 22K miles.
    My original Outlander tires lasted about 30K as well.
    They were poor tires.
    I upgraded to Pirelli high speed tires and I get 55K and alot better handling.
    edited July 2010
    "Just bought a set of General Grabber HTS. Kind of an aggressive tread which I wanted for our Wisconsin winters. Good reviews, plus they have raised white outline letters for that old school look"

Fumes, I also put the Grabber HTS on maybe 4K miles ago (but I got black walls).
    Initially I noticed a bit more squirm (not as crisp turn in response for rapid lane change) but it got better over time (you are jumping to full tread block height coming from almost bald OEM tires.) I like these much better than the OEM Yoko Geo33 tires. Nice and quiet and much better tread for winter. I played with tire pressure and believe I currently have 35 all around. You can't beat the price either. Time will tell, but so far so good. One thing I didn't like is when I pumped them up to 40 PSI for an experiment it seemed the steering was see-sawing for rapid lane change when accelerating hard at same time(moving out and around a car on an undivided highway passing move with wide open throttle and it seems better with lower pressure (which you would expect maybe the opposite). It could be I am experiencing severe throttle steer since I haven't tried the nail the gas(WOT) move to pass and cut back in again with 4WD mode yet. I don't think the Outlander has
    something like Cadillac's "stabillitrac" to play with moves like this (just anti-skid control when braking).
    Thanks for the feedback. My wife drives the car mostly, and she commented that the tires feel "looser and bouncier". This could be, like you said, going from a worn out tire to ones with the full tread blocks.

Shouldn't the stability control help with the quick lane changes you mentioned? I've tried to slide the rear end out on icy\snowy roads in winter, and stability control makes it almost impossible.
    Ah so it does have stability control!!! (I can't find it). I can find a on/off switch for Anti-Skid Control (ASC) but can't seem to find the mention for stability in the Docs.. All I can think is it's the combo of torque steer and lane changing at the same time.
    My bad!!! I see ASC stands for Active Stability Control. Since I have it I wonder why the fishtail action other than the previously hypothesized torque steer in 2WD. I'll have to experiment under safe conditions sometime and see about 2WD vs 4WD and ASC off/on with full throttle lane changes.
    Many of us are puzzled by the type of information needed to swap wheel/rim for seasonal use, e.g. wheel and tire for winter.

Here there is some useful information for the Outlander GT:

(1)- The experts say that for winter season a vehicle is safer with narrow tires (e.g. 215), highest profile (e.g. 70), and smaller wheel diameter (e.g. 16 inches).
    (2)- The experts say that for winter a vehicles tires must have the specification M+S (certified)

So how can we fit the expert advice into our Outlander GT needs?

(a)- We have to make a decision to buy OEM wheels (about $100 each) or third party wheels which usually have better design and cool looks. Once the decision has been taken, then the Outlander GT wheel requires an offset= 38mm with a Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD) = 114.3 mm (regardless of the diameter of the wheel). The general specification for this wheel should be 16x6.5JJ (the stock GT wheel is 18x7.0JJ, but it has the same offset and PCD). There is a permitted tolerance of the figures above mentioned but please, departure just a maximum of 5 mm with the exception of the PCD that must be 114.3 mm. Visit Google and you will find hundreds of hits. When you buy non OEM wheels be sure that the wheels will house the TPMS sensors. Some wheel design doesn&#146;t allow the fitting of TPMS sensors.
    (b)-In choosing the tires the right specification should be 215/70R16 M+S tires. You may order on line any M+ S tires (e.g. Tire Rack, Costco, American, etc)
    (c)- You may use the same 5-nuts from your 18&#148; wheels or 4-nuts + the lock nut from your GT and wheel cap.
    (d)- Before installing your new tires onto your new wheels order 4-set of sensors (TPMS) + their respective valves from your local Mitsubishi garage (4-set $250) and install the sensors on each wheel. Your local tire specialist will know how to do job.
    (c)- After driving away from the tire shop your GT will flag you with a permanent illuminated warning message that your tires need service. This message (sometimes an alarm/noise) will be there until you take the GT to a Mitsubishi garage.
    (d)- The new wheels (i.e. the new sensors) must be recognized by the computer system of your GT, and here is where you will require the service of your local Mitsubishi garage. The garage will charge you about $50 to $80 for the service of reprogramming the CPU of your vehicle. I assume that your GT computer will assign the same code number that has already been assigned to your stock wheels. This will allow you to interchange your 4-set 18&#148; and 4-set 16&#148; wheels at will.

Doing a survey on this topic I learnt that the Lancer Evolution X 18&#148; wheel has the same offset and PCD as the GT Outlander wheels. Equally I came across that Mitsubishi Europe offers a set of 4-wheels (16&#148;) for winter seasons for the GT and Lancer Evolution X. The steel or alloy rims designs are indeed very cool for winter season. For reference only, prices of these rims are about 200 Euros each.

If you expect to drive your GT mainly off tarmac then you may use the 16&#148; wheels with tires&#148; all seasons&#148; or&#148; all terrain&#148; specification. This change will help your GT to soak up the bumping unevenness of an off tarmac road.
  • jweaver1jweaver1 Member Posts: 25
    Good information, however in section (c) you state that you can use the same nuts from the factory wheels on your new wheels. This may not be the case. See the link to tirerack article http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=102.
    Also I was told by my Mitsu. dealer that when you swap out the summer to winter tire/ wheel set to and from the winter to summer tire / wheel set, you must have the sensors reprogrammed to the car's computer (twice per year).I don't think you can change the wheels "at will". The dealer also told me that simply rotating the tires front to back or side to side doesn't require reprogramming.
    I recently purchased a set of 215/70 R-16 Blizzaks from tirerack, mounted on 16 X 7 alloy rims (with TPMS installed). I'm sure they will perform much better than the stock all season tires.
  • jonoxjonox Member Posts: 100
    I drive paved highways in Southern Ontario - we usually get plenty of snow.
    My ES has 16 inch wheels, Geolander G033 (OE) Highway All Season radials and one of the most sophisticated AWD systems available, why would I need another set of wheels for winter?
    If I'm not mistaken the GT's have more of a low profile, performance tire. Stock tires on 16" rims should do fine with AWD.
    (1) If you didn&#146;t buy Mitsubishi OEM wheels (16&#148;) then you may follow specifications given by the wheel provider.

(2) Here you are completely right. The logic was that Mitsubishi will cater for the best interests of their customers. I know that the ETACS-ECU assigns number/code to each of 5-wheels (TPMS) when reprogramming. Reprogramming doesn&#146;t mean start from scratch again. Easily the technician could request to the ETACS-ECU to assign the same number/code (18&#148;) to the new TPMS (16&#148;) on your new wheels. However this is not the case and it is not good business for Mitsubishi dealers. Yes I confirmed with a dealer that what you said is the situation presently.

I wonder if you could give me an idea of how much the cost was of buying 4 new wheels, the programming of the new wheel TPMS, and the cost of the 4-TPMS. If you forgot to reprogram the spare wheel TPMS then I suspect that you cannot use the spare wheel (for 18&#148;) with your new 16&#148;. You may need to order a spare wheel for 16&#148; set up.

You may also need to reprogram the new spare wheel. So I think the exercise may cost you a fortune. I am personally disheartened by the news that I have to reprogram my wheels twice per year if I want to fit my car with new 16&#148; wheels.

The best temporary solution on time and money is just to live for 4-5 months with the warning light about your tyres needing servicing. I must say that the 225/55R18 fitted with Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S has proved very good indeed in real situations (snow and mud). The Outlander GT with its S-AWC coupled with good snow & mud tyres is very safe in all weather conditions. Try for yourself. It is very exciting and thrilling (a white knuckle ride for your passenger according to my wife!) to see your GT doing the impossible.
    I personally think TPMS is a bad deal for the customer, but the tire shops love it as they see it as a profit center. Unfortunately if your state safety inspection occurs during the period when the TPMS sensor is indicating a fail you have no choice but to fix it. I'd rather the freedom to switch tires on/off as I please and just be observant on the condition of my tires. Unfortunately it seems more computer related software tests seem to be the norm these days where one will need to pass 100 parameters or the fail light will be on at inspection time. "Sir, you don't have any real safety problems I can see but I must fail you as your CPU has a software problem which is triggering the service light and that will cost you $1000 to replace it as that is the field replaceable unit we carry"
    At inspection time you may use the stock wheels. You are right about your concern. Insurance may be another one.
  • ls08ls08 Member Posts: 1
    my LS 08, soon to have 31k miles, still have some grip mainly drive in city and highway 75mph is still ok.

now waiting for geolander a/t-s from dtd, and will get the dealer to install them for me, its around $20+tax per tire. :P
    i've got almost 30k miles on my goodyear assurance triple treads; it's an '09 outlander with 18" wheels. they've been great in the rain and are rated high for snow as well( although i've also got a pair of Hakkepelletas which are fantastic in snow). i think my goodyear's helped saved my life in very heavy rain a few weeks back (of course some driving experience and skill and luck helped as well). some [non-permissible content removed] in a "burb" tried to pass me in a totally soaked passing lane and spun out. his rear end was about to ruin my mitsu so in an instant i pulled into the breakdown lane thinking i still be flying over the railing if hit. tires didn't lose traction at 60-65mph, the burb overcorrected and spun 2 to 3 complete revolutions before ending up in the grass.(his tail missed me by mm's). so i'm a fan of these tires which i also had on my VW....
    I had Triple Treads on my Galant before I bought my Outlander. I agree with the wet & snow traction; they were definitely superior to the Michelin Energy and Goodyear Eagle LS tires my car had previously used. There was a little more road noise for them, but for the obvious increase in traction it was worth it.

My Galant didn't have traction control and with the V6 could spin the front tires pretty easily on wet roads; the Triple Treads reduced unwanted wheel spin by a noticeable amount.

Of course my Outlander has traction control as well as AWD but as it stands the TTs are on my short list for tires when it comes time to replace the OEMs.