Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest Steering

ellemaeellemae Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in Nissan
I own a 2000 Nissan Quest Van with 90,000 miles. My daughter is currently at school with this van. She called to say the van is making a cranking noise in the front end when she turns the steering wheel. Doesn't happen all the time but enough that it is cause for concern. Any thoughts on the problem?

Comments

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Hard to diagnose without actually hearing it. Low power steering fluid, loose power steering belt, bad steering rack. Do these have rack and pinion steering?
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • koen1koen1 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same car and same mileage. Ironically I hear the same cranking noise when the steering wheel is turned more than 90 degrees, for example, during a U-turn or P-turn. Yes, it's a rack and pinion. I replaced the control arm lower ball joint once. Can you answer what should be checked? :cry:
  • jaj123jaj123 Member Posts: 1
    When I make a right hand turn, the van feels like the tire is underinflated,entire front end checked twice. no obvious problems, everything is tight. Without taking out cv joints
    which seem to be ok mechanic is stumped, tire wear is normal alignment ok.
  • jaggiebunnettjaggiebunnett Member Posts: 10
    try checking the drive axles for run-out or the front shocks for wear or weak springs may be the problem.
    All of which may not be visible with just a general inspection
    :D
  • gawamigawami Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Quest with 58k on it. At about 30K, it started making a clunking noise when the car was started forward with the steering wheel adjusted for a turn. The dealer tried things 3 times, without any effect:lemon:. Still does it and the dealer says "live with it" and I guess I'll have to. Any ideas?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    What did the dealer do to try to fix the problem?
  • jessievjessiev Member Posts: 2
    We heard a low, heavy clicking when we turn the wheel sharp so we decided to change the power steering fluid.

The thudding turned into squealing and we realized we probably put the wrong power steering fluid in.

Does anyone know the "right" power steering fluid to put in? We have a 1995 Nissan Quest.
  • stopsinemanstopsineman Member Posts: 2
    The real question we're trying to ask here is that we have been told that it's very possible that what The '95 Quest actually uses as it's "power steering fluid" is transmission fluid. This would jive with what we siphoned out of the power steering reservoir because it was a reddish color (rather than clear like the power steering fluid we put in). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nissan recommends Type F automatic transmission fluid for my '99 Quest's power steering fluid.

Steve, visiting host
  • stopsinemanstopsineman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Steve!

Type F Automatic Transmission fluid seems to be the direction that everyone is going in, so I'll take that is a golden recommendation.

Will post if I find out anything different.
  • jessievjessiev Member Posts: 2
  • pachrismithpachrismith Member Posts: 2
    The owners manual says to use type f automatic transmission fluid. Regular power steering fluid has probably ruined the seals in your system. You're looking at about $400.00 just for parts if you do it yourself. Sorry, double because I didn't read the manual until it was too late myself. Wonder how many pumps and steering gears nissan has sold with this trick!
  • pachrismithpachrismith Member Posts: 2
    owners manual says atf type F
This discussion has been closed.