Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Protective Shield for Gas Tank

mcapriomcaprio Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Nissan
Had a recall on my 2005 murano for position of gas tank. The dealer installed a protective shield.I recently hit something on the highway under normal driving conditions and punctured my gas tank. The objest went right thur the projective shield that was made of plastic and puntured my gas tank.Dealer will not cover repair under warranty. Nissan has not gotten back to me regarding problem.Anyone else had this problem.

Comments

• mohammadgiahimohammadgiahi Member Posts: 1
    Do you know if all muranos suppose to have the gas tank metal protective shield? Because my 06 SL model dose not have it, and there is no recall for my Vin#, so dealer would not install the sheild, and said mine had reinforced tank and dose not need the sheild.:confuse:
    I recently had gas tank replaced because when getting gas nozzle shuts off repeatedly as if it was full of gas, at no charge. My first suspicion was that since I had the car there three times for the same problem, the metal protective sheild just got misplaced. The tank has the blak palstic sheild like yours.
  • lwolf99lwolf99 Member Posts: 83
    My wife just purchased a 2007 Nissan Murano SL AWD. I have been reading about the gas tank pucture issues, along with the various protective correction options.

Does the problem of potential gas tank punctures still exist with a new 2007 model? Anythign I should check?

Thanks in advance.
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    Hi mohammadgiahi re no shield on 'o7 MOs: Ilooked under an '07 last week and saw a black fabric like soft plastic mounted along the front edge of the gas tank. It could deflect road objects away fron the tank, and if the tank wall is thicker?? mabey the plastic or metal protector is not need.
  • krellbluekrellblue Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2005 MO and was informed by the dealer that I needed a protective gas tank shield. I think it looks awful and is VERY noticeable from the side. I guess you can’t complain when it comes to safety, but it looks ugly and even seems like it would make the underneath of the car much less aerodynamic. What can you do??
This discussion has been closed.