Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Seats and Interior Issues

esmithesmith Member Posts: 13
edited September 2014 in Dodge
I have an 06 big horn addition that I just added factory leather/power/heated seats, and the dealer installed them. I have a constant problem with both seats over heating on high after only 15 minutes. They shift to low setting for a few minutes, then turn off by themselves. The dealer can find no explanation for this and has been there a few times. This is very annoying because I don't want to take it just anywhere and void other parts of the truck warranty. I have a full service manual but we (myself seeming to know much more then the dealer) followed it to a tee. Does anyone have enough experience here to help out? I have alot of details if I can spark an interest in a guru. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    First, what is the designed mode of operation? All the heated seats I've come across have been designed to shut down after certain time period. The mechanism for this can either be a timer/relay in the switching circuit, a thermally tripped breaker that trips after a certain current draw heats it up enough, or rarely, a thermocouple that reacts to actual seat temp.

So assuming that it isn't supposed to be reset every fifteen minutes, the next step is to check out the control systems. Following that, is the current draw exceeding the manufacturers spec? If so, the heating element is faulty.

Finally, and I'm sure you must have considered this, optional factory seats installed by an authorized dealer must surely be under warranty? If the seats aren't performing to spec the fix is the responsibility of the dealer and supplier. It shouldn't be your problem.
  • esmithesmith Member Posts: 13
    Certainly all good remarks mac24, and I'm glad you are on this. The service manual states that upon turning the seats on "high" that they will have a four minute boost cycle followed by regular high heat. After two hours they shift into low heat indefinately until they are either turned off, or the ignition is turned off. Mine will drop from high to low in about 15 minutes, then turn off after about another fifteen minutes. Heres why I believe they are over heating. If I start out on low heat, they seem to stay on for a good hour or so. AND, since both seats are independant, I turned both seats on high at the same time and both act the same, within two minutes or so. I have checked the resistance values on both seats against the service manual and they are good. As far as the warranty, I purchased the seats a few months after buying the truck since this big horn edition didn't have that option. I purchased the switch/modules through Chrysler and had my local service install the electric part of it, as not to void any existing warranty. They will not however cover the actual seats since they did not come with the truck. Unfortunately, I have given the mechanics more info then they seem to know on their own as sad as that sounds. They are stuck once again and I'm banging my head on the table trying to help them out so as not to wire anything incorrectly, or unsafe. Thanks for your reply
    So Mac24I've been curious as to whether your on vacation or given up on my electric seat issue. I've contacted Chysler headquarters and finally got a return call after two times. They stand by the statement that the truck did not come standard with heated seat options, therefore they won't condone giving advice to install them. I couldn't dissagree more, if we all set on our hands and accepted what the factory forces upon us, our cars would be cloans...I believe in making our vehicles look and perform (since I can't do this with my ole lady) the way WE want them to, as long as its within their capability. Not the way THEY think they should look and perform. I'm a firm believer in that and I wish they would tell me the fix! Resistive wire, different heat sensing devices ect...They won't say anything so I'm asking any and everybody to share any thoughts you may have, big or small it all helps. Bottom line id these seats should not be turning themselves off...Thamks for your time, its greatly appreciated.
    Without knowing the actual mechanism used to control the seats there wasn't really much more I could say.

However, looking back over your post " I purchased the seats a few months after buying the truck........... I purchased the switch/modules through Chrysler" it may well be that the seat heating elements and the control system are incompatible. Sometimes even seats within the same model line can be controlled in different ways.

Did the seats come with the heaters already installed, and did you buy them through your dealer? Are they a seat that DC uses in another model?
    Actually the seats were taken out of a new 06 ram that was being gutted and customized at another shop. The truck is a Larami, mine is a Big Horn. According to Chysler the Larami has the only leather heated seats and they're all the same seat. (same ohmnic value of heatstrip, 3.8 to 4.8 ohms for the seat cushion, 4.3 to 5.4 ohms for the back) Also with the switch/modules, all the same according to their catalog. I'm just wondering if the factory uses a resistive wire on the secondary side of the switch/module to the elements themselves? I've asked but nobody at the dealer can find that answer, and it's not in my service manual CD...
    Assuming you can't get the factory harness, or measure the reaistance of one, why not make up a new harness in heavier gauge wire than you have now?

That will have the effect of lowering the resistance of the circuit and, if the control module is using a resistance measurement to control the seats, will allow the seats to remain on longer (in theory ;) ).
  • cfd428cfd428 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if the overhead console is pre-wired for the (Compass/Temp/Economy) Overhead display. It would be nice to add the display.But not at the expense of adding sensors etc.
    steve
    2001 Ram2500 4X4 Reg cab
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Don't know on a RAM of that vintage, but I was once told that the wiring is there on a Dakota. In the past Dodge has been good about installing wiring for devices that were an option in some cases, so it might be there.

Try removing the current overhead console and see if there's a wiring harness there. Let us know what you find.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • cfd428cfd428 Member Posts: 9
  • boycottboycott Member Posts: 2
  • boycottboycott Member Posts: 2
    The dashboards in Dodge Rams are collapsing and destroying electrical components, rendering them undrivable. I thought mine was an isolated incident until I saw a report on (CBS affiliate) Local 6 (Orlando, FL) "Problem Solvers" with Steve Cooper. This problem exists nationwide with model years 1995 through 2003, so far. PT Crusiser is also effected. This is obviously due to inferior material used for moulding the hard plastic dashboards. I reported this problem to Daimler Chrysler and our own governmental agencies. So far they are in agreement, "toobad, so sad". If you think auto manufacturers are going to stand behind their product, think again. If you think our governmemtal agencies,that our tax dollars support, is going to protect the consumer, think again. Purchase a Dodge Ram at your own risk. I myself will boycott Daimler Chrysler AND the new company buying them out.
  • 2001ramguy2001ramguy Member Posts: 1
    was wondering if all of the leather seats had the heating elements installed but were just not connected and were the controls left off if it were not a purchased option? Any infor would be great!

Thanks
    James
  • eatkinseatkins Member Posts: 9
    hey James, i dont know about the heating elements or its installing options, but what i know is that i was looking for a new seat covers for my Dodge Quad Cab 2003 and i found it at Barbari with a very reasonable price.
    chek out this link and you may find an answer for your question.
    http://www.barbari.com/car-seat-covers/leather-seat-covers.html
  • eatkinseatkins Member Posts: 9
    well why why dont u check this out:
    http://www.barbari.com
    they sell leather, fabric and easyfit seat covers with very reasonable prices.
    i just bought my self 2 pairs of leather seat covers for my ride and with no over heating issues.
  • jeepcj779jeepcj779 Member Posts: 3
    If you have a Mega Cab, you know the cup holders are crap. I have not done the research, but I just realized yesterday that the other Ram trucks come with the awesome cup holders I was expecting. I would like to know if it is possible to replace the trim panel in the Mega Cab where the cup holders should be with the cup holders from a crew or regular cab. Has anyone tried it?
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    Why exactly are they crap? I have a 2007 1500 and the front ones work very well. The rear ones (just in front of the back seat) do not have any adjustments on them and are too big to hold down anything even around the smallest of turns. Not sure what Dodge was thinking when they made those???

I have found a few areas that Dodge can/should improve on. Lets hope the 2009 model is better all around,. Looks like it from what I have seen.

Ski in TX
    Do you have the 1500 Mega Cab? The Mega Cabs do not have the adjustable cup holders that the Dodge trucks have had for years (the ones with the adjustable arms). Instead the Mega has a console on the floor in front of the middle seat with 3 cup holders in it. My wife is 5'1" and she can't reach the floor comfortably to put a drink there. Also, they are very shallow and don't hold the drinks very well. i just prefer the fold out cup holders that come in the front seats of the quad cab and regular cab trucks and I want to see if I can put the quad/regular cab cup holders in my Mega Cab.
  • axle1axle1 Member Posts: 10
    Does any one know if you can interchange seats, in puting an 05 ram 2500 seat into an 02 ram 2500. Both front and back seats.
    Seats should be interchaneable in the 2002 to 2008 RAm models. 1500/2500/3500 models have the same bolt holes in the cab but you may want to confirm this first before spending a bunch of money. What exactly are you doing??.
  • streffelstreffel Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else experienced the discomfort associated with the front seat construction? If feels, after just a few miles, like you are sitting on two metal rails instead of a comfortable seat (and the person's body weight is not the issue). I had the seat replaced under warranty and found the new seat is no more comfortable. It seams they changed the design of the seat and there is only about 1" to 1.5" of foam over the metal frame of the seat.
    Do you have the 3 button remote seats or the one long button remote? I found that the stock leather seats in the 1500's has more padding but the seats in the 2500/3500 have better adjustments and slightly less cushion. I perfer the 2500/3500 seats comparred to the 1500 seats after trying out both. The 2009 Ram will have new fully redesigned seats and I can't wait to do a test drive in the 2009 1500 when it comes out.

p.s. NOW is the time to buy a new RAM if you need a truck. Due to high gas prices, they are almost giving them away now. At my local dealer they have a super price, they give you a 50" big screen TV AND the $2.99 gas deal for 3 years!! Not including the lifetime power-train warrantee.

Prices have come down considerably since I bought mine last October 2007 and I thought I got a good deal. ;(

Ski in TX
  • petes06rampetes06ram Member Posts: 1
    Hi, did you or anyone find a way to make your seat more comfortable? i have the exact same issue as streffel. thanks Pete
  • squiresquire Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone else have a problem with a hole developing in the seat of their Dodge 1500? I have a 2004 Quad cab with less than 34K miles, under warranty with the mileage but more than 3 years on the age. This truck has been babied in every way but a hole has developed on the drivers side on the side of the seat, possibly a coil of some kind trying to poke thru. Service department has heard of this issue and will submit a claim with the district rep, I know that song and dance...which basically means take out your wallet and bend over. Anyone else have this problem?
  • squiresquire Member Posts: 3
  • theaveragejoetheaveragejoe Member Posts: 1
    The problem is the same throughout all model Rams 1500, 2500, & 3500. The contoured foam and frame suffer a design flaw. Essentially the frame works its way up through the foam. tearing it as it goes due to the weight (no matter how heavy) of the driver. I have a 2006 Ram I bought with 28k miles back in Sept.2008. So as far as warranty, I'm screwed.
    But, I talked to an upholstery man today who says it's easy to fix, you just need the foam cushion (factory/dealer part). The upholstery is easily removed as it's attached with plastic hooks on the bottom of the seat. When replacing the custom molded foam, place a piece of leather or vinyl over the 2 bars the foam rests on. This will prevent the metal from gnawing at the foam. Place the foam and recover the seat and hook at the bottom. Wa-La, but it may happen again as the replacement foam isn't any better than the scrap you just replaced.
    I wish I could find a place that sold the fitted foam as an after market part, but I've scoured the internet and can't find one....Happy Hunting...
  • kjtkjt Member Posts: 8
    Anyone else have problems with the comfort of your drivers seat. My dodge is a 4wd with the manual seat adjustment and does sit up a little higher of course than a 2 wheel drive, but getting out of the seat is painful from the way the seat is constructed with the plastic around the base of the cushion. Scrapes your leg getting out most of the time. Also the seat interior rails can be felt. I took it back to the dodge dealer here and they supposedly changed out the foam, but you can't tell any difference. Anyone know of a different year dodge seat that is more comfortable?
  • kjtkjt Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info, very frustrating, the older Dodge seats were so much more comfortable. Thanks again.
  • kf6adikf6adi Member Posts: 1
    I have those same horrible cup holders in my 2006 Ram 2500 quad cab and have been trying to figure out a solution for some time. As your post was quite a while ago, did you ever find a solution to the problem? A way to make them usable? I really hqave no problem with their placement, just that a 5 mph turn cause my drink to fall out of them.

Has anybody found a suitable way to fix these cup holders and make them usable?
  • schowengerdtschowengerdt Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Ram Crew Cab. It has the 60/40 seats in the back, but I cannot get the lower seats to raise up far enough to extend the cargo floor, they just stop when I pull them up a few inches. Does anyone know if I am just doing something wrong, or if there is something wrong with the seats?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Make sure the seat belt buckles or some other obstructions aren't in the way... if everything is clear, then the folding mechanism may have failed.

By the way, you lhave the Quad Cab, which is the same size class as other brands' extended cabs - Dodge simply chose to use normal rear doors instead of the rearward-opening "suicide doors". The actual Crew Cab was just recently introduced with the new body (2009 for the 1500, 2010 for the 2500/3500).

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • jtrainjtrain Member Posts: 1
    how do you slide the seat cover over the back of the back seat in 2003 quad cab? cant pull seat forward, not much room to slide cover. anybody got idea to help before kids ruin my seats
  • morgansdad1morgansdad1 Member Posts: 2
    I've got a '02 2500 Quad Cab, and have never used the rear shoulder belts. I'm now putting my daughter in her booster seat and there is no way I can get the belts (either one) to lock up. I've tried in all extended positions, pulling as hard and fast as I can. The fronts lock up with a simple flick of the wrist or even when I lean forward while driving. The service manual says nothing about testing, etc., only removal/ installation. I tried posing the question to ask.com for money and all I'm getting is to look at my owners manual! Any ideas would sure be appreciated. If I hit something my girl would go directly into the hard handles on the back of the front seat.
  • morgansdad1morgansdad1 Member Posts: 2
    It's easier to do if you first put the covers on then lift the seats. This allows the seat backs to move away from the frame in back of the seat backs so that you can fold them over and then extend the elastic straps underneath to conect to the bottom seat covers.
  • countrygirl10countrygirl10 Member Posts: 1
    i have went threw the orginal ones and it had the hole developed and then the spring came threw so i went to a salavage yard and bought another one and the console dips down and they have a bad wear on them
This discussion has been closed.