Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 328i/328xi

Comments

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Does the 911 have numbers on the gauges for temp/volts? The '06 330 has no gauges! Ridiculous!

I prefer knowing what's going on in the engine room. You'd think that with on-board computers, it would be a cinch to see operating metrics at a glance!?

Regards,
    OW
  • fouronetwofouronetwo Member Posts: 4
  • donleycottdonleycott Member Posts: 5
    I plan to replace the style 156 wheels that come from the factory on a new 328i. I have found a beautiful set of 16 inch chromed M3 style wheels at a decent price. Can anyone tell me where to find the offset spec of the original wheels so I can be sure I am putting something compatible on the car? I dont have the car yet so I cant physically measure them..
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    finally replaced my beloved 97 528, which was hitting some serious maintenance plateaus and I did not want to put a ton of money into it at this stage (163K miles). Quite a change for me since I am getting an automatic - first time in 27 years. I drove the 335 - absolutely awesome power - but much more than I can imagine ever needing. The 328 goes very well and handles incredibly well too. I'll see if I can get more than 160K out of this one! :)
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Best of luck and enjoy! I love the handling as well on my 330.

Regards,
    OW
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I hope to be right (more-or-less -- my present car needs to exhibit more symptoms first) behind you. I generally keep cars well beyond 100K miles & enjoy handling more than power.

Good to hear stories like yours. Keep us posted on your new ride.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • error438error438 Member Posts: 17
    I have a simple question- is there a a differance between summer tires and all season tires in the snow with RWD? Some people say there isn't.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yes, and it's HUGE.

My first BMW had All-Season rubber, and it served me fairly well for the four winters that I had it. Not GREAT mind you, but I was able to get from point A to point B, with only a certain amount of white knuckling the steering wheel. My second BMW came with Summer rubber, and with only a quarter of an inch of snow on my drive way I was unable to make it up to the street. That thing was downright scary to drive with even so much as a dusting on the streets. That said, I ordered a set of winter tires for it and was astounded at the difference those tires made in the car. It went from the worst winter driver I've ever had (and I've driven through thirty some winters) to the very best. If I had to rate the tires on a scale of one to ten for winter capabilities (ten being the best), I'd put the Summer rubber at a 1 (maybe not even that high), the All-Season rubber at a 4 and the Winter rubber at a 10.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I disagree slightly with Shipo. It's not HUGE. It's ENORMOUSLY HUGE. ;)

I have a FWD TL 6-speed with summer tires and it performs far worse in 2-3 inches of snow than a RWD 5-series would with all seasons. The summer tires get hard as nails in sub 30 degree temperatures and the traction sucks.

We were up in my hometown in Erie over Easter and got snow every day. Fortunately we drove our MDX. But I took out my 1995 Nissan Maxima from our second home and was shocked at how much better it handled in the snow than my TL would have. Absolutely no unintended excitement. All because it has 15" 215/60 all seasons (with 40,000 miles on them, no less) instead of 17" 245/45 summer tires. My knuckles would still be white if we had driven the TL.
  • hugo5hugo5 Member Posts: 68
    Hi there,
    my lease on a 325i is coming to an end on may 26. Needless to say, the dealer I leased from has been calling me for the last 2 month, but although he says he will get me into another BMW, he doesn't seem to come up with numbers I can afford. I have done the math, looked at residuals posted here, took 5 % off MSRP, tried as low as .0014 money factor, and I don't see how I can get to a comfortable number either. So, question: is there any possible way, to get into a base 328i, for a 36 month lease, with 10k miles/Year, with putting down $2000, including tax, bank fee, first month (don't need security, since I am returning a BMW) and paying under/up to $400.00 a month. I am sure, something out of the normal upfront fees has to be rolled over into the monthly.
    The only dealer that is willing to apparently work with me, is about 90 min away from where I live, and I have been begging him, not to make me come out there, if he can't get to what I can afford, but he won't obviously commit to any numbers until I am there. Again, he asked me to come in next Saturday, saying he will give me a deal that I "will be completly satisfied with", I just don't see how he could. What do you think? Is he just trying to get me out there and sell me a car I can't afford, or is there a way to getting to what I am able to pay?
    Sorry for the long assey. This buying another car thing is about to drive me crazy...
    Thanks,
    Hugo
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The lease plan is from BMW leasing and there isn't a whole lot the dealer can do to change the terms. He doesn't dictate money rate.

About all you can do to get your monthly down is throw more money at the lease up front, but that's a pretty bad idea.

Here's the current lease specials on the 328 sedan: Please note that with the up front monies your monthly really isn't $353 a month...it's more like $443...and if you go over 10,000 miles a year, then you add that to the lease monthly as well.

You can also possibly negotiate 12,000 mile and 15000 mile leases through BMW leasing.

$353 Monthly Payment
    36 Month Term
    $2500 Down Payment
    $400 Security Deposit
    10000 Annual Mileage
    Restrictions Lease is based on a 2007 BMW 328i Sedan with optional Metallic Paint and Sport Package.

Comments $3253 due at signing. Dealer participation may vary. Incentives and Rebates are provided subject to the terms of our Visitor Agreement.

MrShiftright
    Visiting Host
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    is there any possible way, to get into a base 328i, for a 36 month lease, with 10k miles/Year, with putting down $2000, including tax, bank fee, first month (don't need security, since I am returning a BMW) and paying under/up to $400.00 a month.

It is certainly possible. Check out this BMW 328i lease offer. Also, hop over to the BMW 3-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience forum to do some home work, and then make an offer to the dealer. You should not walk into the dealership until you work out the price.
    One more thing -- Be an informed shopper by using this lease calculator to figure out lease payment yourself.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,767
    Can you do it? How base of a car would you be satisfied with?

Base '07 328i

$33175 MSRP
    $32000 Selling price
    .0014 MF
    64% Residual (3yr/30K)

Monthly payment = $374/mo.+tax

Due at signing = 1st pymt, title/license fees, $625 acq.fee ($1300 total?), still have $700 of your $2K in the bank.

If your tax rate is 7% or less, your payment is under $400.

--------------------------------------------
    You want options? Add auto, premium pkg and metallic paint..

$38175 MSRP
    $36500 Selling price
    $700 CAP cost reduction (using up your $2K)
    $35800 CAP cost
    .0014 MF
    64% Residual

Monthly payment = $400/mo.+tax (about $428/mo. w/7% tax)

Due at signing = 1st pymt, acq.fee, title/license, cap cost reduction ($2000 total?).

So.. it can be done..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I did all that, more than once. Maybe I am doing something wrong. It was giving me a monthly payment of $428.99/month. In this case, I would still have to pay 1st month down, bank fee, tax and dmv upfront, which would total somewhere around $2350, depending on the bank fee and dmv(just carrying plates over)
    I actually got a better deal from the dealer, which was $399/month w/ $2346.83 total out of pocket (incl tax and fees). $399 was my absolute max of what I can swing. I am paying $371.83 at the moment for the 325i, and it's calculated into the monthly overhead, going up means stretching it. My wife wants to keep it the same or lower...
    Basically, I need to bring this deal down by $600 or so, to be where I wanna be. Can you roll over the bank fee into the payment? Need the out of pocket to come down by at least $350
    I posted this in another thread, but didn't get an answer:
    I am also looking at other cars, and for those I wasn't able to get the residual value and money factor over the internet. The dealer told me over the phone, that there is no way he would give this information to me. He would rather give me the invoice price. After all, then I could just work out my own deal...duh.
    Am I entitled to know these figures? Do I have to go in to get them, if at all, or can I request them over the phone, so I am prepared before I go in?
    Hugo
    Not sure what other cars you are looking, but unless their MSRP are substantially less, I doubt you will be able to find a better lease deal than 328i because of the money factor and residual rate.

Here are the rates for the month of May:

2007 BMW 328i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 71% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate

2007 BMW 328Ci Coupe
    24 Month – Residual 68% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate

The residuals above are for 15K miles/year. Add 2% to Residual for 12k mi/yr and 3% for 10k mi/yr on all terms
    You are looking at 328i sedan, not coupe, right? If you are paying $429/month for a base 328i sedan, there should be little or no cap cost reduction required. Just look at kyfdx's example above. Now, if you were talking about the coupe, that would be another story due to higher MSRP, less discount, and lower residual. Otherwise, like you said, something isn't right. Why don't you post your specs. Some of us here may do a calculation for you.
    Thanks for all the helpful replies! I am looking at the base model, as I don't think I can afford more. The only thing I would add, is the automated front seat control, and I can could certainly do without.
    One more question: I live in New York, our tax is 8.25, and normally required upfront. You could opt to roll it into the payments, but I was told, that then you actually pay taxes on your taxes?
    Anyways; am I paying taxes on the whole price of the car, or on the 36 month value of the car?
    If you have time, could you give me the info on the X3 as well. My dealer said that because the residual is so high, he might be able to get me into that for almost the same?
    Sounds strange to me, but if it works, I'd take..more space for the kids
    Thanks again,
    Hugo
    You're only paying tax on the part of the car you are "renting" for the 36 months. If the residual is set very high, that will lower your payments, yes...but the leasing company locks in the residual---that's not negotiable.
    Thanks so much. I just looked at the tax on the 36 month value and came up at $860. The dealer quoted me $1255.36. Is this a way they can trick you?
    Have another question; she quoted me a $625 bank fee. I am sure this really varies, but is there a ball park figure, so I get an idea if this is for real?
    sorry, one more uneducated question; I keep reading that the residual is based on the msrp. Does that mean, if the MSRP of the car I am going to lease is 35.920, but I negotiate it down to let's say 34.000, the residual will still be based on the orig. 35.920, not on the price I negotiated?
    No, MSRP is MSRP and that's it. What you pay for the car is called "capitalized cost" and the residual isn't based on that as far as I know.

This website might help you a lot:

http://www.leaseguide.com/lease07.htm
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,767
    Hey, hugo5..

Come on over to BMW 3-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

Bring the MSRP and the lease term you are interested in, and we'll work up a deal for you...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

brought it over, thanks that would be great!
    ok, I get it, but am still unsure. I see the taxes of other buyers set much higher, and was quoted so much more from the dealer. If I am counting correctly, I am only supposed to be charged $876 on a 36 month lease:
    $32,470 sales price - $34,150 msrp
    -21856 resid.
    =10614 - 8.25 sales tax in New York =
    875.65 tax
    am I right? If so, how does my dealer quote me $1255.36 sales tax??
    One more question: what should my bank fee be? She quoted $625
    Hugo
  • dgrahamrdgrahamr Member Posts: 20
    I'm confused about the tires that come with the sport package. At the BMW website, the tires that come on the 328xi are clearly marked as all-weather regardless of whether you get the sport package. The sport tires are bigger, but not summer tires. Many postings on the Edmunds forums seems to talk about how the sport package comes with summer tires. Am I missing something? Doesn't seem to only be an AWD issue, I looked at the 328i and see the same thing listed on the BMW website. Wondering if I am reading incorrectly, or if the dealers tend to outfit the cars differently than BMW lists on the website.
    You can buy the 328 in effectively five guises:

1) 328i -- Comes with standard All-Season tires.
    2) 328i SP -- Comes with staggered Summer Performance tires.
    3) 328xi -- Comes with standard All-Season tires.
    3) 328xi SP -- Comes with standard All-Season tires.
    2) 328xi SP & 17" Double Spoke Alloy Wheels -- Comes with staggered Summer Performance tires.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dgrahamrdgrahamr Member Posts: 20
    For reasons that are too complex to walk through, I need to buy a 328i remotely without further test drive. Wondering how much better folks think the premium sound is?
  • maleckimalecki Member Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of an 07 328xi, and I love my leather interior. I also love my dog and would like to occasionally transport him in the back seat. There are a number of rear seat covers listed on the internet, but it is hard to tell which are well made or not.

I am wondering if anyone here who owns a 3-series and a rear seat cover would be willing to share their experiences. What brand did you get? How durable is the cover? How well does it stay in place?

Thanks, in advance, for your feedback!
  • scars1scars1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the market to purchase a 3-series 07 bmw. I don't want to spend too much money w/options but would like the basic comforts. So, I was considering to purchase either a 328i or 328xi. What is a fair price to pay in the San Diego area?
    What things do you consider to be "comforts"? Leather interior and automatic everything or a manual transmission and a stiff(er) suspension with sticky summer tires?
    Alright, let me clarify "comforts"...leather interior, hd radio, ac, and automatic transmission. Does the premium pkg include these features?
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    A/C is standard. The premium package includes leather. HD radio and auto are separate. The sports package adds much more supportive seats if you don't mind the stiffer ride. Check out edmunds if you haven't already.
    thanks for your feedback...
  • 328isosa328isosa Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a brand new 07 328i,and was wondering what kind of fuel i should be putting in the car,and how long is usually the break in of the engine?I want to feel the engine but dont want to do it too soon.Any recommendations?
    Fuel recommendations are in your owner's manual and probably on or near the gas cap or gas door.

As for break-in, you'll get varying answers and fairly conservative advice from your owner's manual, but with a BMW I'd say just drive it normally for 1000 miles and stay out of the red line on the tachometer.

But I'm a big fan of some full-throttle acceleration during break in , but only in the "mid-range" of the tachometer, say 4,000---4,500 max. I also like to rev the engine up to the 4,000 range and then let it "suck down" to 2,000 or so, if traffic permits. That way you place stress on both sides of the pistons.

But really, just let the engine warm up a bit on start-up and don't drive like a maniac and you should be fine. After 1000 miles, let 'er rip.

BMW engines are designed to rev and they can take it.
    Didn't your car come with an Owner's Manual? All of your questions will be answered by simply cracking the cover. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Obviously, this topic is one that is really personal and subjective; however, after 11 years in a comfortable 528 I have been very disappointed with the overall seat comfort of my new 328 (not sport seats). They just seem overly hard and uncomfortable after about 30 minutes of driving. No amount of adjustment seems to make much difference and I cannot imagine a long trip on them. I didn't buy this car for some kind of pillow soft ride, but was surprised at the very noticeable difference in seat comfort from my 528. Anyone else have this complaint?
  • raphaelhomraphaelhom Member Posts: 19
    YES - I GOT LAMBS WOOL SEAT COVERS AND IT MAKES IT A LITLE BETTER
  • muddyymuddyy Member Posts: 60
    I almost ordered a 2007 328xi coupe in early August and was told when and if it came in in Sept or October that it might arrive as a 2008 model (meaning there wasn't any 07's left). I passed on the deal. Now, September 20th, I still haven't seen any pics or heard anything about the 2008 model. Does anyone know why this is? Why would the dealer would tell me I actually may (likely) be getting an 08 if I ordered an 07 in August? I may go back and buy one in a month but can't seem to get a straight answer to these simple questions:

1. If I order a 2007 328xi coupe now will it be a 2007, and, how long before I get it?

2. If it will be an 08, even though I ordered an 07, when will I get it and will it look or be different in any way?

Several dealers in NY told me this and do not have the answers to these questions. Any definitive anwers would be helpful. Thanks.
    I'm, not sure I understand your question, that said, virtually every manufacturer in the world does their model change overs in August and September. In BMW's case, any car built after (and most likely during) August will be for the next model year. Said another way, you could not have "ordered" a 2007 car in August of 2007. The only way you could have gotten a 2007 would have been if there was the exact car you "ordered" already built and on the boat or in the lot.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • muddyymuddyy Member Posts: 60
    If it will be an 08, even though I ordered an 07, when will I get it and will it look or be different in any way?

You see, the dealer told me it might be an 07 if they can get one, but if not, then it will be an 08. But when i asked him if I could see a picture of the 08, or a color chart, he had no info at all. So I thought it was odd to order a car sight unseen.

In addition, he couldn't tell me when it might arrive. Again, I thought it was odd to order a car sight unseen and with no clear date of arrival.

Hence my question: what do the 08's look like and how are they different, and when will they arrive? There was no clear answer to this in August so I was wondering if now, in late September, there is an answer.
    I still don't understand why you're asking. If you truly "ordered" a car in August, it will be a 2008, period, full stop, the end. If you simply told your dealer what colors and options you wanted, then they'll simply look through the stock inbound to their dealership (and probably every other dealership within a certain radius) and find a car that is a close approximation. Assuming the later, you might get a 2007, otherwise it'll be a 2008.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Dusting this forum off after a long time, but this seemed an appropriate place for this debate...

I've recently started lusting after 328 sport wagons, but not sure when/if I'd ever make a move away from my Volvo V70. The primary motivation is getting a manual, for the more sporty driving experience (and BMW vs Volvo provides some of that, shifting or not!) and that a manual out-of-warranty is not as scary as an automatic out-of-warranty.

So my biggest question is this... how much of a consideration should 328xi vs. 328i become? I know if I stay away from the xi's that will really limit my choices, but how noticeable is the 250-lb weight penalty of the xi? And are there significant differences in reliability/repair costs down the road with an xi (I know there's not much to speak to that from this generation, but maybe the older 325's will shed some light?)
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    The extra weight will show up in slightly less gas mileage--not a big deal--and the xi will not be as sporty to drive if you drive it hard. It will just by nature be less responsive on "turn in" and coming out of corners--it will "push" more (tend to stay in a straight line). If you are a very moderate driver you might not notice this. As for repairs, well AWD is a lot more complex, so unless you really need AWD for some reason, there's no need to want it.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Thanks Mr_Shiftright... here in coastal NC there's no real need for AWD so I'd lean to the standard i models anyway. Was just curious as to how hard I should hold out to try and find that, or "settle" for an xi if that's all I'm finding.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    You'll pay more for an xi as well.
    Just one more datapoint...

I live in snowy (some years very snowy) New Hampshire and I wouldn't own one of the "xi" models. I've found it much more enjoyable (from a drivability perspective) to simply buy a second set of wheels with winter tires than to be saddled with the AWD running gear year round.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I can only imagine how hard it would be to sell an xi with MT after you're done with it.
This discussion has been closed.