Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Smart Fortwo

Comments

• carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    Thanks for all the info about AC performance. Sounds reassuring. Redfred1, could you explain how the convertible top operates?
  • redfred1redfred1 Member Posts: 8
    Carfreak09, convertible top operates as a slider and moves from front to back. There are two removable roof rails, one above both door windows, that allow the roof to slide back to its initial stopping point (at the top rear of the roof. Once at the first stopping point the roof rails can be removed and stored in the back door compartment. A second stopping point for the roof is all the way down where it rests on the rear door hatch. None of the actions of the roof interfere with the rear doors operation or trunk storage.

Hope this helps....
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    Thank you very much! You explained quite well how it works, way better than the magazines did. I was able to visualize it. Thanks again.
    Glad I was able to help. I was hoping I captured what you were looking for. On a side note, you can open the top at up to 70MPH; just do not recommend removing the side rails while driving however. :-)
    I do not disagree that there are many out there that feel the micro-cars are more dangerous than driving much larger cars and SUV's. Several points I would like to make; if everyone drove a micro-car we would reduce our dependence on foreign oil by up to 60%+ and more to this point accidents would include participants of equally sized vehicles and thus reduce the overall risk to those involved. I would hate to be in a frontal collision in ANY vehicle. Micro-cars are safer, and in some cases less expensive, than motorcycles and a lot more practical. With over 4M motorcycles on the road in the US one could conclude that there will be fewer deaths in accidents involving SMART cars than MC's. Micro-cars are NOT for everyone thus the reason for choices. I love to drive it and have not felt any less safe than any other cars I have ever driven or owned. Car handles emergency turns like a dream, is stable on the highway, and had plenty of power for the road. It will run 90mph if needed and I have never lacked power to merge onto an interstate. 34 city and 41 highway puts it very close to my Civic hybrid. If I have a frontal collision at 50 I am sure I will be dead in both cars. :-)

Just my observations however.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Man, you guys must have nerves of steel!

I don't even like riding around the block in one of those tiny little cars much less take one on the freeway.

We just took in our third Smart for a person who bought it and quickly decided they didn't like it. The last one had less than 200 miles on it.
  • Wuss. :P

Bet you can't get on a motorcycle either. And you'd be in a world of hurt in India traffic.

To each his or her own.

I think most people who trade them in quickly cannot get used to that herky-jerky transmission. M-B is going to have to do some re-engineering quickly. Not only will Scion soon have a competing model with a normal transmission and room in the back for a small adult and child, but some of the larger A and B segment cars on the way will have as good or better mpg as the current smart.
  • stout7735stout7735 Member Posts: 20
    Smart only appeals to smart people...Besides having one of the lowest total costs per mile ($.22), the built in crash cage and other standard safety features of the Smart has so far given it a lower fatality rate than an average auto, with only 3 fatalities for 30,000 Smarts sold...The meek shall inherit the earth...All the major car manufacturers are bringing micro-compacts to market... :P
    The third generation Smart, coming in 2012, will have a CVT made by Renault/Nissan...
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Oh, that should really be a quality tranny. LOL :lemon:
    I guess I must not be very smart then.

I would rather walk.

As far as that crash cage, I can't imagine surviving any kind of a major collision in one of those.

Yep, to each his own...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2010
    Actually, the Nissan CVTs are some of the best out there. The CVT in the Maxima and Altima are pretty flawless, and get good reviews. A decent transmission will really goose smart sales.

Oh, and the crash cage has been shown to be very effective for such a small vehicle. Injury and death stats bear this out.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    "Oh lord, won't you buy me a manual transmission..."
    (apologies to Janis Joplin)

:P
    The one we have now looks like a bloated bumblebee. It's yellow and black.

I hope it sells quickly because it attracts a lot of curious joyriders who have no intension of buying it. They only want to "see what's it's like".

They usually return and get out laughing and shaking their heads.

Just now I watched a woman jerk and lurch up the street in front of our store.

I just hope I never have to ride in it!
  • You will sell it if you aren't asking an unreasonable price. I love riding in the damn things. Never fails to make me giggle. I also like how well-equipped they are. Just don't like the transmission.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The personal barbs stop now. This discussion is for talking about the smart, not an arena to hurl personal barbs back and forth.

I've cleaned up the mess. Let's not start it up again.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    The 2010 Smart forTwo remains dead last in the informedforlife.org safety rankings.

It is in the worst 10% of all cars for safety.

http://www.informedforlife.org/demos/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/1MasterSCOREr.pdf

Buyer/driver beware!
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    For anyone that is interested search informedforlife in this thread and see the criticism on informedforlife and how priggly has not addressed one of those issues.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

FYI, this is from the informedforlife.org site:

"This website is sponsored by Informed For Life, Inc., an independent, Connecticut nonprofit organization, created solely for the purpose of helping individuals select a vehicle that may save their lives in an accident. This information is offered as a public service, not to derive profits. Informed For Life does not accept donations or funding from any individual or organization.

Informed For Life, Inc. was founded in February, 2003 by Michael D. Dulberger, of Avon, Connecticut. Mr. Dulberger is a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the Association for the Advancement for Automotive Medicine."

Do you have a better set of criteria for evaluation of the efficacy of this site??!

No, I thought not.. You would rather criticize it blindly and emotionally without any rational basis.
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5439498_dangerous-cars.html

It's cheap and relatively economical, but is it worth your life??!
    In the IIHS tests, the Smart was rated GOOD in crash tests and was the ONLY small car to get an acceptable bumper damage rating...Three deaths(?) so far out of 30,000 Smarts sold is no "death trap"...If your teenager is too dumb to wear his seat belt, evolution works... ;)
  • Hi all. Priggly is not going to change his mind on this issue. Nor is he likely to change anyone else's mind. To him and many others, it will remain a "death trap." I still think it best to try to understand all sides of an issue, but it is about as unlikely that I will change anyone's thinking, as it is that priggly's regular posts (to a forum for a car he hates) will. Regardless, there will be more and more small conveyances on the market as time passes. Even haters will have to get used to that.
    edited May 2010
    You have to deal with the actual data and that informedforlife site has a problem in that it unfairly weighs its data based upon vehicle weight. A close analysis of the scores does not fit with observed results from actual government crash test and insurance claim data. They have the right idea to compensate for mass but they are going about it wrongly by weighing the data rather than comparing all of the results against each other and then coming up with a proper list.

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composite_cls.aspx
    It's better to go to the source and look at the real data. Now, they haven't released the 2009-2010 data yet, and should do it sometime this fall, but the results are clear that there are two variables at work here. First, that some cars are safer than others, and the Smart gets a fair score in actual testing. But compared to the entire U.S. passenger fleet/vehicles being driven, it's at a disadvantage due to mass as is everything smaller than a SUV.

The trick here is to look at only the last three columns - what the industry is paying in injury and medical claims in actual crashes. This gives us the best possible data that we have (so far) on real-world performance in crashes.

And the results are sobering.
    http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composite_cls.aspx?y=2006-2008&cls=2&sz=2&sort- - - - =medPay

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composite_cls.aspx?y=2006-2008&cls=8&sz=2&sort- - - - =medPay

There are a lot of SUVs out there and it skews the results so much that a perfectly fine car like the Civic gets an adjusted 126 score.

The raw data that is filtering out so far(I can't find it on the IIHS site but it's available if you search) shows that the Smart is slightly better than the average of 100 in terms of a raw score(80-90 is what I've heard so far(average is 100)). But that's going to change when it's compared with 2009 vehicles overall.

It's built too small compared to the typical SUV, and you have about a 30% chance of any accident these days involving a SUV or large truck. ie - you're fine the other 70% of the time and dead the other 30% because the car can't cope with the situation.(same as say, having a commercial vehicle like a dump truck run into your SUV - it's just not going to be able to deal with it and you lose.

Dump trucks and Semis and the like are easy to avoid, though, as they are highly visible. But can you avoid every SUV, large truck, and commercial vehicle if you are driving a Smart? Not really. Eventually your luck will run out. Mercedes makes the best cars in terms of engineering and safety, but 1600lbs can only withstand so much force.

P.S. I love the Smart car and worked myself to get it brought over to the U.S. nearly a decade ago. It's a great vehicle in many ways, but the sad fact is that large cars and SUVs keep getting more numerous and heavier all the time, despite fuel prices rising. What was great ten years ago in Europe and might have worked in the U.S., then, is now hopelessly small and lightweight today.(The average U.S. vehicle weight is approaching 3600lbs!)

This really isn't surprising, considering that the same thing happened in the 60s and 70s - Americans love large cars and only suffered through them because of fuel prices and emissions. But now that most 3500-3600lb cars can get 25mpg or better and have 200+HP, it's a repeat of 40 years ago when big muscle cars with huge power are the rage.

As a yardstick a 1980 Volvo 240 clocked in at just aver 2600lbs. The average has risen 1000lbs in 30 years.

P.P.S.
    So what to do about it? I'd look at cars like the smaller VW TDIs and the upcoming Fiat 500. They get about the same MPG as the Smart and are just large enough to be minimally safe versus the rest of the vehicles on the road.
    It isn't that the Smart is poorly made or badly engineered. In fact, the car is an admirable effort by M-B. The tridion safety cell is commendable in its own right.

The problem is that the Smart is just too small! It doesn't stand a chance in a significant accident with a larger vehicle because you simply can't defeat the laws of physics.

There are much better small cars out there for the price.
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, and it's a shame. Because I really loved the car, ever since one of the first two prototypes in ~2001(IIRC) was owned by a guy in my town. He ran that cute little thing around for almost two years and everyone was in love with it. I wanted one forever before anyone else knew about it and yet... cars keep getting heavier and bigger and now even a Civic is a midsize car.

It's just not safe to run around in anything less than about 3000lbs, as sad as that is to think about. Maybe 2500lbs as a minimum if you are fine with takeing a reasonable chance with your safety and it's a safe car with side airbags and the rest(a Civic is 2600lbs, btw).

BTW, check out the data on the Yaris on that IIHS site. Ouch. 4 or 5 stars into a barrier isn't going to cut it in the real world if the vehicle that hits you is more than twice the weight of yours.

Are there better small cars out there for the price? Maybe, maybe not. I really love the Smart, to be honest. But there's also a reason though I love motorcycles enough to have wanted to race them when I was younger(for real) - I don't own one now that I live in Los Angeles. I simply don't want to die in an accident in the next 6-12 months.
    Right on, brother! The Smart and motorcycles may be fun. But they are not worth your life.
    Hate to tell you this but unless you drive a massive semi there is always something around bigger than you. So if you stay away from the Smart simply because you are afraid something bigger will hit you you better be doing your shopping for your transportation needs at the local Mack dealership.

REALLY? Not sure if this link will work but thought I would try. http://www.walkinginfo.org/facts/facts.cfm. It says that there were over 4K pedestrian deaths and almost 70K injuries in 2008. You are now going to tell me to quick walking too? Guess I could buy an armored Hummer that gets 1-2 miles to the gallon and drives like garbage (have driven one) and hope I stay completely save while walking from my garage to my home.

Life is a risk but I will continue to live it the best way I can and make a difference on this planet. One of the differences I would like to make is to use less fuel and save it for my children. Another is to demonstrate that there is a market for new styles and technologies in vehicles. Look, SMART cars are not for everyone BUT they are practical, fun, and eye-catching. I would not want to drive from VA to CA in mine nor would I take it to Home Depot to shop for plywood. I do drive it when I need to run errands, head up to Dallas for a few days, drive in the city, or go grocery shopping.

On a side note, I bought a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid and was told by many that it was the worse decision I could ever make. So much technology that it was bound to be expensive. Several emergency response folks I knew told me it was very dangerous, like driving a bomb with all of those batteries. I am still alive, get 50 MPH, and have spent less than $500 in maintenance. I expect to have my SMART for 20 years and live long enough to watch other car manufacturers “catch up” or else go bankrupt sticking with bulky gas-guzzling vehicles.
    Oh, I understand that it's dangerous just to wake up in the morning, but the thing is, that I can generally avoid big trucks or at least stand a fair chance in a SUV versus most other vehicles on the road. There is some amount of parity, and a 3500lb car hitting a 5000lb SUV or commercial vehicle might come off worse for wear but it's not the same as a 1600lb Smart getting hit by a 3500lb car.

Simply physics will tell you how quickly g-forces build when there's a large difference in weight. In the above scenario, a 3500lb car hits a 5000lb SUV. Even the 1600lb Smart car hitting a normal 3500lb car is going to suffer far worse damage. (~43% more mass for one and ~119% more mass for the Smart car example.) 3500lbs or so is the U.S. average car weight now, so that's a normal consideration in driving. It's not even calculating the horrendous example of a Smart vs a SUV.(~213% more mass)

While I understand what you're saying about everything being risky, I also know that the average person in the U.S. has some sort of accident in their vehicle every 5-7 years. (be it a major crash or a minor incident clipping a pole while parking). It's also why as I stated, I don't have a motorcycle where I live. I also cross streets as quickly as reasonably possible. And I own a 4200lb vehicle for the same reason. It's big, safe, and has a higher view that allows me to see over the traffic in front of me. It also scares yuppies in their Plasti-cedes' since it's incredibly old and worn looking (got to love old 4x4s ;) )
    It's clear that those advocating the attributes of the smart Car are doing so on the basis of emotional issues. They are obviously according little regard to the laws of physics. This type of non-objective thinking will lead to fatalities oftener than notl
    Aren't those advocating the safety issues (especially those using sources that use very questionable methods) are doing so on the basis of emotional issues?

Its not an emotional issue that the car gets the best mileage of any non-hybrid car and that it fits the needs of many people as a second commuter type car.

Also it is a fact that most accidents are either single car accidents and/or low speed ones.

The Smart is probably the safest and best engineered in terms of safety of anything built to date. It's small, unique, and cute.

But it simply was not designed with America's lust for muscle cars and giant SUVs in mind. The average vehicle in Europe is nearly a thousand pounds lighter. So it does acceptably well over there(similar to, say, a Civic versus other cars on the road here in the U.S.).

What Mercedes needs to do is ditch the Smart and instead bring over the A or B class as a cheaper alternative. With a TDI engine, it would easily match the Smart in economy and be large enough to be safe against most of the other vehicles on the road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_A-Class
    Cute, small, and if you convert the MPG figures for the TDI engine from U.K. to U.S. Gallons, the 2.0L larger engine gets a combined MPG figure of 43.5.

You can get it in most of the rest of the world, but not in the U.S. I'd so rather have this than a Smart.
    Show me all the alleged bodies of these Smart drivers!!! I can only find 3 Smart fatalities out of 30,000 sold, and God knows if they were wearing their seatbelts...How is that for objectivity???
    edited May 2010
    Looking on the NHTSA site, the last full year they have showing where I looked was 2008 and there were a total of 26,689 fatalities among "vehicle occupants". This EXCLUDES motorcycles, pedestrians, people sitting on their porch when a vehicle goes out of control, etc.
    According to a 2007 USDOT study, there were approximately 254.4 million registered passenger vehicles (car or truck, used for passengers, excluding buses and trains) on the road

Now I KNOW those aren't the same years, but you might agree that the number of vehicles in 2007 is going to be pretty darn close to the number in 2008, yes?

So to get fatailties per 100,000 vehicles we'll take the fatalities divided by the number of vehicles (deaths per vehicle) times 100,000

26,689 / 254,400,000 = .000104909 times 100,000 = 10.49 deaths per 100,000 registered vehicles

3 in 30,000 smarts is 10 per 100,000, but that 's assuming that the "three you can find" are the only ones. Even if it's only ONE more, that rate is up to 13.33.

Not trying to "prove" anything one way or the other here, but 30,000 smarts compared to 250 million plus vehicles seems too small a sample to say anything with certainty. The rate for the smart seems to be on the order of the overall rate, but I'd wager if we were talking about 10 times as many smarts on US roads, we'd be looking at significantly more than 30 fatalities because, like it or not, safety IS related to size.
    but I'd wager if we were talking about 10 times as many smarts on US roads, we'd be looking at significantly more than 30 fatalities because, like it or not, safety IS related to size.

Granted 30K is a very small sample size compared to 254,400K and the stats could be off due to the small size. And while adding one more death would make it 13.333 per 100,000 miles one less would make it 6.667 per 100,000.

I would like to see where these 30K Smarts are driven. While I have seen a couple on the highway, most I have seen have been on surface roads in high density urban settings. So if more miles are driven in urban settings then the cars would spend a lot more times at slower speed. If this is true then expanding the number of Smarts on the road by 10 times might very well produce much less than 30 fatalities. Remember bigger does not always mean safer.

• This type of non-objective thinking will lead to fatalities oftener than notl Thank you for providing such obviously objective thinking. What would we all do without it? BTW, I love the exclamation point. Oh, and the "oftener" was also a nice touch. Have a great day.
  • Excuse me, but a sample size of 30,000 is a VERY good sample (most sampling with small error rates has a much smaller N than that). I just don't get why there are people on this forum who continue to gasbag about the safety issue of the smart. Yes, physics is a factor, but so it driving style, and so is maneuverability, and so are cell phones, and a host of other things.

The idea that people are going to have a serious, life-threatening accident every 5-7 years is ludicrous. My own sample of one says I have been driving an average of 20K miles a year for 45 years. I have had a couple fender benders in that time, and they were in vehicles much less safe than the smart (engineered and built before 1980). I can also look among my friends. I can look at all my relatives. An accident every 5-7 years has not been the average for them either.

Amongst hundreds of friends, acquaintances, etc. I have known over the last 50 years, there have been a few fatalities, a handful. Among those who died, were people riding in a full-size pickup, a full-size station wagon, and a large sedan. My sister was once in a head-on collision with a tree driving a subcompact without airbags. She was cut and bruised, but otherwise fine. The car was totaled, since the front bumper was only an inch or two from the windshield after impact.

So wager all you want. People will drive big trucks, smarts, motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, school buses, etc. I have no idea how so many of us survived years ago in cars that did not handle well, had poor brakes and tires, had no ability to stay intact upon impact, did not offer airbags nor sometimes even seat belts. I'd much rather ride or drive a smart than my dad's 1964 Fairlane back in the day.

If you don't prefer a smart safety-wise over a death trap from the 60s, 70s and 80s, so be it. I am not going to condemn you or call you out. But I am still going to ask of those who hate the smart, what are you doing on this forum? Nobody came here to be lectured about how, for example, bicycles do not offer much protection in an impact. Most of us already know that. But knowing that, I am not going to give up riding my bike.
    edited May 2010
    30,000 compared to 254 million is certainly a VERY small sample. Just the fact that ONE fatality more or less would cause a 30% change in the fatality rate shows that the sample is WAY too small to prove anything one way or the other if the outcome is affected that much by one more or less. While 30,000 sounds like a big number, it represents something like 1/100th of one percent of the passenger vehicles out there. And given the age of the smart, there simply aren't enough vehicle miles driven yet to be statistically significant.

I've been driving small cars (Nissan Sentras, Altimas, and a Versa) since 1979. And while I feel they they've been safe cars, I know that if I HAD to be in an unexpected "incident", bigger/heavier would be safer. That doesn't make me a Sentra/Versa hater anymore than recognizing the safety limitations of the smart makes me a smart hater.

Let me put it this way... would I feel safe driving a smart? I think I would, because *I* am the most important chuck of safety equipment I have in every car I've ever driven. Would I take the smart onto the DC Beltway or an LA freeway on a regular basis? I don't honestly know, but I DO know that I wouldn't do it thinking that I'm on a level playing field in the event something did happen.
    The idea that people are going to have a serious, life-threatening accident every 5-7 years is ludicrous.

Wow. Reading skills rate a D-.

I said 5-7 years you have an accident. I did specifically also mention that covers everything from a serious incident to a minor incident like clipping a pole while parking. Maybe you get lucky and only bash your bumper parking or hit a small animal or something, and maybe you end up off the road in a ditch or get hit in the side by a runaway(happened in my town to someone last year).
  • Oh, good gravy, who here is saying that driving a smart puts you on a level playing field? Do we not know this is a small car? Is that what we are not seeing here?

Anyway, go ahead, assert what you want. You are after all the host. :P But do you really know anything about data? When people are polled (with a small margin of error), do you really think those pollsters talk to (or need to talk to) more than 30,000 people just to get a representative sample of Americans?? Regardless of what you think, they don't. Do a little research on how research is done and then tell me 30,000 is a VERY small sample.

And yes, one more fatality would change the outcome, JUST LIKE ONE LESS WOULD. Unless you can point out how you are a better and more knowledgeable statistician than most (can you?), I don't see how you can say smart-driven miles have no statistical significance. You have thrown the smart stats sample into a much larger population, and then declared the smart sample too small based on being swamped by that vehicle universe. So I guess we are to assume that the average outcome for smart drivers is but a fluke. Or luck whatever that is. A run of heads when a tail was expected.

And now for an anecdote which doesn't prove anything (but since others here also seem comfortable speculating all sorts of things based on a few variables...): In 1977, I was rear ended by a full size Mercedes while driving my 1976 VW Rabbit. I was pushed halfway through the intersection, but in the end, there were a couple of paint scratches on the Rabbit rear bumper (the car sort of skipped forward), but the Mercedes required a tow truck. What does it prove? Not much, other than outcomes can sometimes be different than one imagines.

I think it is sad that this thread always degenerates into "we have to warn these poor SOBS who don't seem to realize they will be driving a really small car amongst many larger vehicles." Sort of reminds me of the intense battles to keep people from legally buying unpasteurized milk. We let people smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol and cover our bases by putting on warning labels about potential health consequences. Would you all go away if smart would agree to put a warning label on their cars stating that, since the car is small, passengers may be at greater risk of injury if an accident occurs? :surprise:
  • I read your post. Your graciousness is noted. What I was really pointing out is what you are fleshing out a bit more now: most accidents don't amount to a hill of beans, That was not the implication of your argument. Yes, there will be that rare circumstance where you can be killed by a freak happening, and yes, that event could be included in a whole slew of events that might be construed as an accident---but that freak accident really has little in common with what usually occurs every 5-7 years, such as someone keying your car, or you backing into something (or the ditch).
    But the problem with tests is that crashing a car into itself is unreasonable when there are so few cars in the same weight class as the Smart. The Mercedes vs Smart crash is more common, and it only gets worse from there as mass increases.

Why I linked to the IIHS site for insurance claims is that deaths isn't the only factor. Being really messed up and injured badly is important as well. But we won't see the data until this fall, unfortunately. I'ts not going to look pretty because no matter how you engineer a vehicle, 1600lbs of anything isn't going to withstand a 5-6000lb solid framed vehicle hitting it.

Yesterday I took my son to the doctor and counted vehicles. The row I was in looked like this:
    SUV, large car., car, minivan, SUV, minivan, SUV SUV SUV, minivan, SUV, large car, car, station wagon, SUV SUV SUV.

Seriously. Finding anything under 3000 lbs - I don't think there was one vehicle in the entire parking lot - over 100 cars - that weighed less than that. And that's unfortunately the norm lately. Big, heavy, and acres of steel for crumple cones.

I really do wish that the Smart was a bit bigger and better. 1ft longer, a few inches wider, and reinforced more heavily wouldn't destroy it's fun or image. And neither would things like a real manual transmission or a TDI engine. They didn't destroy the Mini with the re-do - but it's a lot safer and more practical than the original.

Maybe come in at 2000lbs and get 50-60mpg highway. That would be more reasonable, IMO. With a manual transmission, I might even buy one myself. :)
    When people are polled (with a small margin of error), do you really think those pollsters talk to (or need to talk to) more than 30,000 people just to get a representative sample of Americans?

The problem with the statistics is not the 30K Smart cars but the low number of deaths (3 in this case). With that a swing of just 1 changes the figures greatly. Most statisticians acknowledge that.

In 1977, I was rear ended by a full size Mercedes while driving my 1976 VW Rabbit......

Many people don't realize that mass isn't the only equation to what happens in an accident. Two winters ago there was an issue with an Accord hitting a rather large state owned snowplow on the tollway. The Accord actually knocked the snowplow into the ditch and the only one that went to the hospital was the snowplow driver.

While not the norm but it does show that larger is not always safer.

• Pletko, what you are apparently asking for is the Scion iQ (approx 1 foot longer than the smart and wider as well) which should be on sale here next year.

I wish they hadn't lengthened the smart in the 2008 redesign. As it is now, it is a couple inches too long to park perpendicular to the curb. ;)
    gregg vw, what you are essentially saying is that the smart is just too small.

A bit longer and a bit wider, it just might meet basic safety requirements. As it stands now, it is doubtful whether it would allow its occupants to survive even a minimal crash.
  • gregg vw, what you are essentially saying is that the smart is just too small.

No, I am not saying that. You are saying that. I said I wished it was still the size of the original design. But that isn't going to happen, so don't get scared. Meanwhile, I still think that I'd rather run around in a smart than on any of the mopeds I see everywhere in the city where I work.
    Actually, it does meet minimal safety requirements. But the tests done in Europe while designing it never factored in an extra thousand pounds for the U.S. average vehicle weight over the European average. A redesign of the bumpers won't fix it.
    Well I guess that is the element of a crime to charge any driver of an average weight American car with Aggravated Assault for crashing into a Smart... ;)
  • Actually, it does meet minimal safety requirements. But the tests done in Europe while designing it never factored in an extra thousand pounds for the U.S. average vehicle weight over the European average. A redesign of the bumpers won't fix it. And if they did add weight to compensate for fat American vehicles, who would buy it?? A car approx. 100 inches long that weighs 1,000 lbs more than the smart does? Silly. Buy a larger car.

The smart is about as safe as can be given how tiny it is, and it is safer than one would assume, given its diminutive size. Why make it bigger or heavier? There are TONS of choices out there to fill that bill already. But if you want a city car that is as small as possible, then a Versa or Fiesta is not a real substitute. Why is that so hard to fathom? And, YES, I know it is small and light and wouldn't be the greatest thing to be in if one collides head on with something at 60 mph, so please don't start.
This discussion has been closed.