Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica GT - Troubleshooting

2»

Comments

• natural4realznatural4realz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 88 Toyota Celica Gt. with 160,000 and I am having problems with EXCESSIVE GAS CONSUMPTION. I did the tune-up, new fuel regulator, filter..

It also when I try to accelerate from a stop position...its bogs down or takes a little bit to catch up .. I had the injectors cleaned when I first bought it. I bought the car April 08...and it was the same then.

They sales person said they just changed the fuel pump..

I would fill my tank and get about 245,000 miles out of ..NOW I can get only about 150,000-160,000

Is there a way for me to have a friend do some of these tests at home with a tool??

MY ENGINE IS 3S-FE

Wheres a free online toyota celica GT site that I can see the service manual???

My CAMSHAFT is needing a gasket I was told and the other camcrank I think..Do these help with the diagnoises???

Michelle
    Las Vegas, NV :confuse:
  • dalicea97dalicea97 Member Posts: 15
    The fuse problem was caused by a burnt taillight socket. I replaced my taillight with harness(sockets) and my clock works properly. You might have them check your transmission which may need to be replaced to maybe control the acceleration on your celica. :)
  • stx_fanstx_fan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Toyota, Celic STX, (which has been a great car) I just recently put a new alternator in because the lights would dim when I turned the radio on or I was unable to use the windshield wipers with other devices i.e. radio, lights and eventually the car would stop running and act as if the battery was dead. After letting it sit over night it would start and after driving a short distance the same would begin again.

All was well for a few weeks and now the windshield wipers turned on by themselves and would not stop running (The mechanic unplugged them from the switch and said I needed a new switch). Last night the brake light came on and would not go off (I removed the fuse). Being a single mother of 3 (no child support) I have done some car repair work on my own but I am not sure were to begin with this problem. Additionally, if I have to take it to the mechanic I want to have an idea of what to expect. Can someone give me information on this problem?

Thank you!
  • aponteaponte Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Celica GT, in the last couple months I hear like a humming, buzzing sound that get some high levels into the drivers cabin. I already check and replace the wheels bearings, transmission grease and check the tires for any deformation and I still hearing the sound. The humming-buzzing sounds sometimes getting worse.

Any recommendation for the next step to check :(
  • trashfornashtrashfornash Member Posts: 1
    I am working on a 1993 celica GT wiht a automatic trans I'm told that the only transaxles that will interchange are 1992 & 93 Celica GT & GTS. I have a trans out of another celica with the (part # JT2ST85NO) can any one tell me what year this transaxle is?

7 1993 celica gt and gts
  • cloudhojocloudhojo Member Posts: 1
    Hello I bought a 1992 celica GT with the 5S-FE motor. The engine was overheated and the head was warped bad. Had the head repaired and I rebuild these egine from top to bottom. My issue now is I reassembled the engine and it wont start. So i started troubleshooting and found I have no spark... I have power from the ignitor to the coil but nothing coming or go form the pick up coil in the distibutor.... Now on another note the car has an older alarm that I can find nothing on. I did a reset as the original owner had showed me, still did not start. So i pulled the fuses to th alarm (which was told buy a local alarm install guy may work) and still did not start. So Im just at my wits end here and somewhat confused witht these car now. Any help here would be nice and thank you for your time.
  • jc62584jc62584 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2000 Celica GT and the first time I put gas in the car I had trouble restarting it. The tank was not quite half way so I topped it off and went to start the car up and it revved to 2000 RPM or so and immediately dropped to 0 and shut off. I tried again and revved the engine myself for a few seconds and once I was able to shift into drive it ran fine. The next time I filled up the same thing happened. Anyone have a suggestion or similar experience?
  • jasper1981jasper1981 Member Posts: 1
    hi, its probably your key. my celica had same issue. You have to get a key from toyota directly. the number they need is on the passenger side door lock. so u gotta take door panel pass side off and get the number off lock. i had to take mine out but your key is probably worn down and not pushing the pins all the way in making the steering whell not want to unlock. I think my key was like 15-20 dollars. try that , good luck
  • lugenlugen Member Posts: 2
    That is called blow by. All it means your engine has wear. How many miles are on the car?
  • shifty017shifty017 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 toyota celica GTS, When i push on the throttle like if i was to start off it will rev from 1000 RPMS to about 2000 - 2500 RPMS and then drops off to about 500- 700 RPMS, after that if i hold the throttle it revs up fine till i let it idle again. i put a new throttle position sensor into it but it still does it. any ideas what might be wrong???
  • williebcwilliebc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 celica. Just bought in March 2011. Over last few weeks start up performance has diminished. New plugs just in to help it, but it still won't idle upon first start up. Also sluggish to no go when trying to get out of first gear. Gotta revv it to get it moving. Shifts well enough on the road, but when you give it gas to pass it boggs down to no go. Starts bucking 'til you downshift and revv again. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • 92bluebullet92bluebullet Member Posts: 1
    try cleaning or replacing (if that bad0 the IACV....intake air control valve. It is att5ached to the throttle body and controls airflow mixture and will also effect your heat.
    there are some you-tube videos that show how to.....
  • conbertconbert Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Celica GTS 6 speed. It feels like the clutch slips when I take a corner. Do I have a clutch, transmission or rear end issue? I know I have to push the clutch almost through the floorboard to get the starter to engage. Is that another issue?
    I Have that same car, I dont know about the corner thing, I don't seem to feel anything when I go around corners, but for starting their is 2 switches your clutch hits, and the one to engage the starter is at the very end of your clutch, so for that, that is normal.
    If its only slipping on corners, its prob not the clutch, if it was you should feel it when you accelerate too, could be a drive shaft. also a UV joint, but if it was that you should feel vibration.
  • jeezjeez Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Hi everyone. Love my Celica. 124,000 miles and no problems till now. After starting the gages dont come on, no indicater lights etc. Also the Shifter does not unlock. This doesnt happen all the time. Sometimes have to do a restart several times, then everything will finally come up. Clock is on, rear lights come on, but not front lights (I know about that interlock). Im assuming its a bad relay, but can't figure out which one it would be. Any of you Celica Gurus have any ideas? Thanks.
  • joedynamojoedynamo Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    There are 4 motor mounts, the one that usually is the biggest culprit for vibration is the dog-bone on the right side (accessory belt side /passenger side) fender well, has that one been replaced? The other mounts are centered below the front of the motor and in back of the motor, both down below, and then the upper transmission mount on the driver side fender well. Your mechanic probably replaced the mounts showing obvious cracking & wear, but the other two could also be the problem as well, when they start to go well they all most likely are worn out way past original specifications for noise and vibration absorption.
  • scoobyd00scoobyd00 Member Posts: 1
    If you're having to push your clutch in hard to start it. sounds like your nuetral safety switch is needing tweeked. there is a switch down on your clutch pedal(like your brake) that will not let the motor (starter) engage unless your foot is depressing the clutch pedal for safety reasons. I would check the location of that switch and see if that is where your problems lies.
  • peterpan99peterpan99 Member Posts: 65
    edited May 2013
    Did the CEL go on?

Buy an engine scanner and check the OBD code out. It would tell you what's failing.

Sounds like a dirty or faulty Mass Airflow Sensor. Spray clean the platinum wire with CRC MAF cleaner or any residue -free electrical contact cleaner.

Check all vacuum hoses, clack quarter inch rubber hoses. If unplugged or leaky , they will cause hesitation.
  • 20celica0220celica02 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 celica that died on me while I was driving it, it completely turn off and would not restart. Now the starter doesn't turn over. Have bypassed the clutch switch and checked the battery. What could it possibly be. :sick:
    Celica GTS has 2 bottom engine mount, 1 big behind and the smaller one in front of the block.
    They are just brackets with rubber mounts to dampen vibration. the 2 top engine mount on top of the engine block are smaller.

I run the GTS very hard, down shifting hard etc... So the mounts are worn out. When stop with transmission engaged, the engine vibrates like crazy. Disengage the transmission and then engine idles smoothly. Also on take off, the wheels spin before grabbing traction.

The engine mount cost about $150 at dealer. You can put the car on block, jack up the engine block, remove a few bolts and take out the 2 bottom engine mounts. They can be rebuilt by adding polyurethane to the worn rubber.

Polyurethane comes in different hardnesses and melting temperatures. Can be ordered from eBay or McMaster Carr.

Make sure you clean the rubber and mating surfaces with a brush and solvent like Acetone to make good bonds.
    I Installed an after-market set of front and rear engine mount in a GTS2002.

The car now has more vibration at idle than before with OEM mounts. Apparently the rubber material may be stiffer than factory's.

Therefore Rebuilding engine mounts not recommended. For $50 more, buy Toyota's engine mount for smooth idling.

Replacing the rear engine mount involves serious work and risks of damages or injuries. Local shops here only want $90-100 to replace the rear engine mount. I suggest the bros to leave it to the shop with proper equipments and tools to do with minimum risks.