Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• tylorkittytylorkitty Member Posts: 18
    It is an arguable point. I asked spcifically, and I was told 15 years from the day it gets inspected for :" the buy back program". I was VERY specific on this, and i have the names and phone numbers of all I spoke with, trust me, I'm not getting screwed on this.... I inspected my truck myself and with my mechic, there no holes, BUT there sure will be VERY soon! It may jut not pass its annual inspection in July.
  • bigo5bigo5 Member Posts: 8
    I just picked up my new 2008 Tacoma after finishing the buy back program! They took my 1999 with 71000 miles on it and I got around $13600! You also get an additional $1000 voucher toward the purchase of a new Tacoma. The is in addition to the $1000 consumer rebate that is going on. So I had about $16000 towards a new one, it ws a no brainer to get it. But beware, they are getting harder to locate smaller base models because of all the buy back cases out there. Also, once inspected they are suppose to offer you a rental for up to 30 days as you consider alternate transportation. I had them email me my offer letter which speeded up the progress. Also it is correct that there must be perforation holes in the frame. They are suppose to swing a hammer at it while inspecting. I SAY TRY TO GET DONE SOONER AS THE WORD OF THIS PROGRAM SPREADS IT IS GOING TO SLOW DOWN AND TRUCKS WILL BE HARDER TO GET WHAT YOU WANT! Let me know if I can answer any more questions.
  • hockeyeasthockeyeast Member Posts: 43
    Wow, Great for you!!! I have a 96 reg cab that I am waiting on. Probably wont get 9000, but a good down payment for a taco upgrade. Should know within a few days. Keeping my fingers crossed!
  • tmiller159tmiller159 Member Posts: 25
    I have a 99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 with 2.7L automatic, Rhino bed liner, towing package, 10 disc CD changer and in dash AM/FM/CD player, fender flares and stone guard on hood, twin Hella LOUD electric horns, tonneau bed cover, 140,000 miles, dark green.
    I received an offer of $13,792.50 and accepted same by signing and returning the paperwork they sent to me. Once they pay off my existing loan, I will get a check for the remaining $9022.00. They also give you a certificate good for 60 days for a new truck at $1000 below dealer invoice and $1000 cash back. I was also loaned a Toyota Corolla for 30 days at no charge to me.
    Don't forget to take off that aftermarket stuff!!!! :)
  • releaserelease Member Posts: 8
    Where did the above poster get that the $1000 is for $1000 off invoice? I assume it is just $1000 off the price you and dealer agree on.
  • nbtacoma1nbtacoma1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Tacoma 3.4 that is showroom mint condition with only 68000miles. It was sprayed twice with oil since I bought it new so I figured there is no way mine would be bad. I crawled under it today to check the frame with a ball pin hammer. All seemed good until I got just in front of the drivers side rear spring shakle. There are no holes but you can tell there is a soft spot there(bottom side of the frame). I'm sure if I would have used a welders pick hammer it would have made a hole. I have not recieved a letter to bring it in to the dealer yet so I'm still waiting. I love the truck and have mixed feelings about loosing it..... :cry:
  • tcmatcma Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for the info. I went to three different dealers and got three different stories on how they are doing the inspection and buy back. Mine is scheduled for inspection on 5-5-08. I do have holes on my frame by the leaf spring bracket. It is about 18 inches long and 2 inches wide and smaller holes in several others places. Again, thanks for the info, very helpful. I was told that if there are not any holes but there is a lot of rust they ( the dealer) will schedule it for repair or protection from further damage do to rust. The guy at the dealer was reading this right from the recall policy he had in front of him. thought i would pass that on.
  • rusty98rusty98 Member Posts: 4
    My 98 Tacoma just got inspected last week @ the dealership. They told me that the matter was now between Toyota and me and they were out of it. I am still waiting to be contacted by someone. I have spent in the neighborhood of 3000.00 on the frame
    of my truck in the last year to keep it on the road. Does anyone know if we will be
    reimbursed for frame repairs as part of this buyback deal?
  • mattz88mattz88 Member Posts: 9
    I am in the same situation with my 1998 Toyota Tacoma, basically without going into alot of details, I bought my truck with 49500 miles in 2003 and it lasted me 85000 before it was unsafe to drive(the problems were reported in early 2005 and continue today). Toyota will not work with me and basically told me to eat as they have offered me less than 1000 for any reconcilation. I am trying to get as much info as possible from anyone else having these problems maybe in regards to pursuing alternative solutions. The reason why Toyota wants everyone to quickly resolve this issue is so that a class action can't be filed against the Toyota Motor Corp. If you are interested please email me at mrmattz88@gmail.com
    ISG called me today with an offer. 8632.50 for my 96 taco with 160,00 miles. That's 50.00 less than the KKB retail price (150%). Yup, I am going after that 50 bucks. They made the rules, not me. Petty??? Ya probably, but thats a tank of gas (sort of)! Supposed to get the letter in the mail in the next few days. Oh yea, my 96 is a SX model reg cab, 5 speed Manual. Look at a 08 ex. cab today, just the basic one with a 2.7, 4 cyl. Got a quote of 22,452.82. That's tax and everything. Seem high to you out there? No haggling yet. Also, I was informed that the 1000 voucher is after taxes are added. Am I being snowballed? I hate the process of buying a new or used veh. I feel as I walk in the dealership that the broom has already been shoved up my [non-permissible content removed] and the salesperson is ready to break it off. Am I crazy!!!!! hmmm, probably!!! :surprise: :mad: :)
    They say they will but you will get much more on the buy back i wouldn't worry to much about it.. You get 1.5 times the Kelly Blue Book excellent condition value. Mine was real close to what kbb said. You can figure it and than take 1.5 times that value and thats what you get. Now if your truck in permanently fixed (doubtful) and you don't want the buy back, they will reinburse you for your repairs.
  • whitewaternutwhitewaternut Member Posts: 40
    Faxed the signed repurchase agreement to them last Monday and got a call this morning to bring in the truck and pick up my check tomorrow morning. 1998 Tacoma with 103,000 miles on it and getting $11,850. Hate to see it go, it was a good little truck. Bought a 2006 Sienna to replace it at a real good price. I'm happy.
    I don't think you can negotiate the buy back, it depends on options that the dealer filled out for you when he did the inspection. Also I just got an Access Cab 4 cyl , 5 speed no options for 20900 out the door AFTER both rebates. And I was told by one dealer that the voucher does come off after the taxes. But when I got mine, they took $2000 off in rebates right from the price. (we have an additional $1000 rebate going on here) not sure if you do, that is where I came up wih $2000 in rebates
    The voucher is good for $1000 reabte off fianl price not invoice. If you have $1000 rebate going on, you would get that also. There is nothing off invoice.
    I have found the actual documents the dealer recieved on the program, but can't post them here. I can email you if anyone needs to see them. They were helpful to me as I knew what the dealer should be offering me. cmoleski@roadrunner.com
    You will not be reimbursed for repairs. You will get 1.5x KBB value for your vehicle in excellent condition, regardless of actual condition. I got $13,800 for my 99 Taco 4X4 SR5. Just remove your extra equipment.
    As always....good advice in here!!!
    I emailed bigo 5..I think that these docs. will help me.
    I just don't trust car salesmen (sorry, nothing personal). Knowing that there is an extra 1000 off, just makes me think that they can screw with you more. I hate feeling this way, but..............
    Trust your feelings, Luke. The Force will be with you!
    :-)
    TEMiller
    Hello
    I have experienced the same problems as you have with your Toyota Tacoma. Mine rusted out and broke in half. I was wondering what kind of success with Toyota? I am getting no where and my issues have been documented since 2005. I am possibly looking at alternative ways to deal with Toyota whether its tv programs like Dateline or class action. If you could give me some feedback that would be great at mrmattz88@gmail.com. I would definately like to give you some details or try to help. Its definately frustrating the lack of corporate responsibility here.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Matt
  • doug70doug70 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 98' with 118,000 miles. Extended cab and it looks new. It is completely rusted underneath, and both leaf springs recently rotted straight through. I brought it in for the inspection saturday and they passed it, saying that it was solid! They also said that it might not be too long until it rots through. which one is it?
    This puts me in a tough postion b/c the truck needs some work, and now there is a question of how much longer I will have it. I love the truck but I drive it up and down the NYS thruway, how safe is this thing. obviosly selling it is out of the question also. Do I need to wait the full year to bring it back in for inspection?
  • ern3ern3 Member Posts: 2
    If you have yearly inspections thru your state, maybe you could get a state inspection service station to inspect it and if it fails, you could go back to Toyota and let them know it didn't pass? I am shocked at how few toyota tacoma owners know about this problem! I only found out about mine when I took it in for a check engine light problem.
  • tylorkittytylorkitty Member Posts: 18
    Hi All,

PLEASE PLEASE, do your OWN Inspection BEFORE you take it to Toyota. My annual Safety Tag inspection is due in a couple months. My Taco is NOT going anywhere till it is thouroughly inspected by MY Mechanic and Myself WITH PHOTOS. Toyota does not care abouy leaf springs, they are looking for preforated FRAMES, other than that YOU will be spending $$ on an inferior part of your truck wasting time & money. Preliminary inspections of my frame, is " it's ready to go"..... so Please take it in for an oil change and get under there yourself. I am hearing MORE and MORE that certain "conditions" are arising. Keep on Taco'ing!!! :P Cheers! NH- Gal ~
  • berdman21berdman21 Member Posts: 8
    Well it seems as though a lot has gone on since I started this topic in March of '07. I originally started the topic because of the perforation problem on my truck, and the fact that Toyota customer service told me it was not their problem. I had to send my truck to auction and got $8000 for it when the blue book value at the time was $15,000. Now that Toyota has said it was in fact their mistake by not properly rust proofing the frames, I contacted them once again. I gave my old case # and they asked what my intentions were. I stated that I would also like to be compensated for my loss due to the perforation problem. Toyota asked me to send in proof of ownership, proof of perforation and something that showed how much I got for my truck. I did this and 6 weeks later they finally called back. I was told that they were not going to compensate me because blue book value is now $6,300 for the truck. Well I just looked and KBB Retail is $11,000 for the truck. Soooo I called and asked about it and apparently if you no longer own the truck they will compensate up to TRADE IN value. Since I received more than the current TRADE IN value for the truck they said they wont do anything for me. I still feel that since I had to get rid of the truck because of THEIR PROBLEM with the frame not being safe, and I lost money because of THEIR PROBLEM, I should be compensated for such. If anyone knows of a current lawsuit, or an attorney willing to take on such a suit, please let me know.

Brian Berdine
    Johnson City, NY
    Berdman21@aol.com
    I feel for you. i would be sooooooooooooo pissed! :mad:
    You got screwed big time. Go to Handel on the law (it's a talk show), good one at that. www.handelonthelaw.com.
    Try it...some lawyer might take it up. Worth a shot. There is a link in the upper right of the homepage "ask a lawyer".
  • acer3acer3 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had any luck haggling the price $$ Toyota offers you? I just a call for $11,000 for my 97 but I'm just curious if u have to say yes or has anyone had any luck negotiating the price up and if so how?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Taylorkitty:

Your dealer is giving you bad advice. Reread the letter Toyota sent. The statement in BOLD letters in the box clearly states:

"The warranty extension is offered for a period of 15 years with no mileage limitations from the vehicle's in service date, for perforation of the vehicle's frame caused by rust corrosion."

If they did warranty for 15 years from the data of inspection, then my warranty for my 95 Tacoma (13 years old so far) would be extended until the truck was 28 years old!!. And since I haven't had mine inspected yet, (the letter says nothing that I have to do it right away) I'd be better off waiting 5, 10 or more years before I bring mine in for inspection.

Mrbill
    Hello

For anyone that is getting a hard time from Toyota in terms of the Toyota Tacoma Frames rusting out please try this website The Center for Auto Safety It has alot of valuable information on it and you can file a complaint if you wish. Another website is Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) | U.S. Department of Transportation file a complaint and they will start investigating your complaint. Hopefully this can help alot get many of these defective vehicles off the road and correct corporate irresponsibilty.
    Thanks
  • hunter60hunter60 Member Posts: 2
    I just brought my Truck in to my dealership and it failed and I got my rental within 10 minutes. They kept it saying it had pretty bad rust holes and it actually sat slightly tilted to the left. It's a 1996 4wd x-cab with a matching cap which they told me to leave on for now. This truck believe it or not has 423,299 miles on it and I was on the same clutch and never really had any major problems in 12 yrs. Changed the oil every 4,000 and was hoping to get to a half a million miles, engine still runs great. My problem is now even though I'll get a new truck I'm going to have payments that I didn't count on with 2 kids in college because there frames are faulty..do they take any of these things into consideration...should I remove the cap and sell it on my own?? How much can I expect to get ETC any info will help :mad:
  • hunter60hunter60 Member Posts: 2
    Can you apply the buy back amount to a good used truck that a dealer has????
  • doug70doug70 Member Posts: 4
    I believe you can apply the check to anything that you want. If you want to make some extra cash pull the cap off and anything else that you could possibly sell.
  • bostontacobostontaco Member Posts: 1
    Brian from NY,
    I am sure there will be a class action suit along the pipeline soon if not one already.
    There are Lawyers out there waiting to hop on this kind of anger train against such a huge corporation like Toyota.
    Your next step should be searching for a class action suit, finding the Lawyer who filed for the class action suit and emailing or old school writing he/she a letter about your case.
    The point? He or She may want to direct you to someone (or take it on aside from CAS) who will fight to get you the monies deserved and possibly more.
    Just a suggestion.
    Good Luck and I hope you get what you deserve! :mad:
  • kowitzkowitz Member Posts: 7
    I finally decided to call Toyota regarding the recall. Seems the dealer I took the truck to and their service department were full of it.

After asking for a rust inspection last month, I got the run around. I was told my truck was not part of any recall and when I asked if the rust on the frame was any concern, the service rep said "no, no concern." They did not inspect it, would not do anything and didn't have time to listen to my concerns, so I left ... and dropped the issue for a month.

Yesterday, I called the Toyota help line and asked what "certain trucks" meant in the letter and if my VIN # was part of the "recall." The answer was overwhelmingly "yes." The "certain trucks" line appears to mean "any truck that has rust on the frame." So, yes, I should have an inspection at the dealership.

Anyhow, I'm supposed to get a call from my dealership now which should lead to a real inspection for my Tacoma. We'll see ...

So, if you're getting the run around, call 1-800-331-4331 and navigate the menu till you get to talk to a rep. I had far better luck talking with them than with anyone at the dealership.
  • nikshedecknikshedeck Member Posts: 8
    so I got a rental car and two days later the letter in the mail with an offer for $10,000.
    I faxed my stuff to the places and we will see how long before I get my money. I will keep you informed. Has anyone gotten their money? if so how long did it take after you got the offer from Toyota?
  • gr8rotarygr8rotary Member Posts: 7
    I'm new to this forum, and found out about the Tacoma problem this week. I had my truck in for some regular service work at my a local garage. The service mgr. called to say they started to work on the truck, and noticed the frame rusted through. They stopped work and advised I don't invest another dime into the truck. I called Toyota dealer and have appt. for inspection tomorrow. We'll see what happens. Anyway, I hate to be a consipacy theorist, but yesterday I looked at Kelly Blue Book and my truck booked for $7,850. Today I plug in the exact same information, and the truck books for $7,585. WTF? Does Toyota have any pull with KBB?????? That just cost me about $400 bucks under the buyback agreement
    I did. The dealer failed my truck on Friday, April 27 and I got a call the following Monday from the company that handles the buyback. They emailed the acceptance letter to me and I signed and faxed it back to them. Got another call from the the following Monday, May 5 and I brought the truck to them the following day, signed some more papers, handed them the keys and received a check for $11,850. Bought a 2006 Toyota Sienna the same day. I wanted another Tacoma but they had a long waiting list for a new one.

Toyota is standing on their heads to make this right for everyone effected. I got $2000 less than what I paid for the truck used 9 years ago plus another $500 because I bought a used Sienna from the dealer.

Try to get GM, Chrysler or Ford to do that.
  • rcoolercoole Member Posts: 10
    Anyone with a 2000 Tacoma that has failed? I've noticed a lot of rust on the frame of mine for the last several years and just found out about the buy back from the local parts store owner. Have an appointment with a dealer on the 15th of May. The dealership that I've had this serviced at for the last 8 years said that the soonest they could inspect it would be Aug 8th. I called another dealership and got the 15th of May appointment with no problem. Understand from sources that some dealerships aren't very cooperative with scheduling. The Aug 8th dealership said they were only allowed to do 2 to 3 inspections a day. If this one fails, won't consider buying from this .dealer. West Virginia driven truck.
    A good dealer will stand on his head to make things right for you because he knows you will probably buy from him again. If you get a bad one, like the Aug. 8 dealer above, let him know about his lousy service and that you would never buy from him again. And tell him that you'll let all your friends know also.

They'll get the message.
    Well I can only tell you what has happened with me. They offered me $400.00 less then the KBB value I looked up. If you have any extras,for example a cap, bed liner, cd player,etc they WILL NOT take those into consideration when determining the value UNLESS these things were on the truck when it left the MANUFACTURER. NOT THE DEALERSHIP. Maybe this is why there is a difference in the prices. I am almost done so if you have anymore questions let me know. This girl did not mess around and called toyota company first thing not the dealership and so far the process has taken no time at all. Let me know how you make out.
    also remember no holes = no money.
    I see you got the number for toyota. Make sure to ask for Mike. He did everything for me and made my process move quickly. He was great. I have an extension number if u need it. Good Luck
    I would love a copy of that. My e mail is nikshedeck@yahoo.com. dealers tend to think girls know less then they do so any ammo would be appreciated. Thanks.
    If anyone has replied to or asked me questions I have just got on and gone through them all and answered them. From now on I will check this site everyday. I was not aware how little info was out there for our little toyota family.lol
  • rachel518rachel518 Member Posts: 3
    I heard earlier in the week from a friend that this was going on. Normally I don't just jump on the computer to search something but in this case I certainly did . . .

I made my appt. right then via email for the following Tuesday, and I called back after a second thought to reschedule it for today at 7:30. It was an in-and-out sort of thing, and I'm feeling a little in shock right now because my truck failed. :sick:

I guess I'm glad that this is happening now, because my tailpipe is disintegrating and my muffler has holes in it - new brakes were in the new future, too. But I'm so sad about my first truck, and having to say goodbye!
    Mine is a '98 4x4 single cab (I wonder if single cabs get a considerable amount less?) I will probably just end up getting another Tacoma, maybe something new and shiny, EXTENDED cab this time., but it's all pretty sudden since they got me right in there and now say I should get a call from Toyota in 5-7 days?
    I'm going to check in on this forum daily now - everyone else's stories are helping me figure out what to expect. I kind of feel like I need that support!
  • rachel518rachel518 Member Posts: 3
    I forgot to mention that the guy said I have 4 holes in my frame, but then away they send me! After reading everyone else's it sounds like most people were sent away with rentals? I was putting the pressure on a little bit because I was going to be late for work, and at that time just assumed I'd be driving away with it. But 4 holes sounds pretty major now that I think about it. Maybe I'll get the rental next week.

Believe me, I'll keep you all posted, and everyone else do the same - this is a really bizarre feeling!
    I wonder what other car companies have done this buy-back thing? I've never heard of it.
    Its a little overwhelming for alot of people. You are not alone. The salesman that I talked to said that most people are feeling like this. I shouldexpect my check next week. I am going to get a 2008 ex. cab. I guess I have to look at this as one hell of a good down payment. All of my other extras I will pull outta the truck and put on ebay. ;) . I too, have a 96 reg cab. 160,000 miles. Was offered a little over 8600.00.
    I told the salesman that I wasn't into this process, like you I was hoping to keep my truck for another 3 yrs. Also, I (no joke) just made my last payment on my harley. So, guess what, new payments.....great!!! :(
  • vogrinvogrin Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: I too like everyone else on this site has Tacoma problems. I own a 1997 Tacoma extended cab 4x4 which I bought new and now has only 61,000 miles on it and is in SHOWROOM condition!!! I inspected the frame myself and yes, there are a few small rust holes in it, destined to fail Toyota's inspection! I have a May19th appointment to take it into the dealership for them to inspect it. The service manager told me on the phone that if my truck fails inspection that I CANNOT DRIVE IT HOME AND THEY KEEP IT! What do I do then? Is this even legal? I never even received a recall notice from Toyota! I was hoping to keep this truck for at least another 4 years because of the super low miles. I also owned a 1987 Toyota 4x2 which had the truck bed and doors rust out after only 5 years! Are you people INSANE who are considering buying another Tacoma "rust bucket"??? I can't wait to see what Toyota offers me for my truck! Needless to say, I will NEVER buy another Toyota!!!
    I agree with other angry owners on here, there should be a class action lawsuit against Toyota Corp. to FULLY compensate all Tacoma owners! I just spent over $450 on tires,have a $1000 cap on it and paid my PA. state registration fee last month for $58. Will the corporate cronies at Toyota take these expenses into consideration when offering me a buy back check...I doubt it! :sick:
    I had a few holes too and they sent me away with my vehicle so I called toyota company,not the dealership. They advised me to call the dealership and ask for a rental and that I was entitled to one, so you should call and tell them you want one,
    Well, lets hope the 2008s are protected properly. WTF, if in 15 yrs or before the frame rusts through, another buyback. I can't imagine this happening again. But, you never know. I did test drive a 2006 nissan frontier (15,000 miles), loaded. Nice truck at a good price, but it's hard to not get another toyota. Still hemming and hawing here. Ugh!!!! :confuse: