Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• hockeyeasthockeyeast Member Posts: 43
    I bought a nissan 2006 frontier. I think you will like the truck.
    As far as the 2000 that the other fellow bought. Bring it into the dealer.
    It's not just "holes" that they look for. There could be problems up under the cab on the inside of the frame. That's where my problems were. Also there were a few, lets say "thin spots"! It's the damest thing also. I was at work the other day, and guess what goes by on a transport truck. A bunch of tacomas and mine was on top at the front. Like, one last good-bye. :(
  • gr8rotarygr8rotary Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the good words hockeyeast. I think I will really like the new Frontier. I have never liked the look of the new Tacoma. It just looks like a big happy face on the grill to me. After extensively driving both a NISMO Frontier, and the TRD offroad Tacoma, the Nissan just seemed to handle much better, and I am getting more options for the money. My new Frontier just arrived at the dealer, (I went to see it today), just waiting for my check from the good folks at Toyota, and I'll get into my new ride. Good luck to all the unfortunate owners (like myself), but I will credit Toyota for making a great attempt to make this right.
  • naughenaughe Member Posts: 2
    I thought the same thing, My frame only showed surface rust and I saw no rot through, but Toyota failed it in about 10 minutes . They said there were 2 critical spots that were too far gone (soft). I have (had) a 99 Tacoma with 145,000 mi but it was in excellent shape. I loved my truck and hated to give it up. Over the last 3 years I have put lots of time and energy into this thing. New rear leaf springs (originals cracked), front springs, struts, shocks, carrier bearing, steering rack and outer tie rod ends, I did the timing belt along with the water pump and thermostat, I just put on 4 new tires and did the brakes on all 4. I kept it well maintained and it never let me down. I would rather work on it every now and then on the weekend than have a payment every month. I do have to say they handled it very well so far. Toyota had a rental for me in litterally 20 mins, but now what? I had no car payments and because of the year and milage I had low insurance payments. I am going to have to now pay sales tax when I buy a new vehicle, my insurance is going to go up. I am probably going to have a car payment now. I read that someone said Toyota gave them an extra $1,000 because they are buying another Toyota. I think the 1.5 times the book value is a good deal, but only a grand to buy Toyota again? They need to do better than that on the sales side. This is still an inconvienience from where I sit.
  • naughenaughe Member Posts: 2
    Wend
    I was told it will be about 150% of the Suggested Retail Value in excellent condition also. That would be about 14 -15,000 dollars for my 99 Tacoma with 145,000 miles. You do not have to take thier first offer, this is a claim just like an insurance company. If the offer is too low, argue your point and wait for another offer. They are taking my fully paid off, excellent condition vehicle away from me. If I do not like thier offer I am going to let them know. You have to consider the extras you are going to have to pay out. Sales tax for your new vehicle, here in Mass that would be over 1,000 dollars for a 21,000 dollar vehicle. A newer vehicle also means higher INSURANCE. Keep that in mind and if yoy have not settled, hold out for what you consider fair, not what they consider fair.
    ditto
  • tmiller159tmiller159 Member Posts: 25
    Keep in mind they are also offering you a deal on a new truck. It is a certificate worth $1000 below dealer invoice and $1000 cash back, good for 60 days from date of issue. Not perfect, but not bad either.
  • rusty98rusty98 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Yall,

Rusty98 back with ya. Since my last posting I was given an offer by ISG that was supposed to be 150% of the KBB retail value of my truck. My truck came up 8800 on the KBB website.150% of that comes to 13200. They sent me an offer of 12800. I brought this to their attention and had my vehicle reinspected at the dealer. Less than 1 week later they emailed me a new offer of 13200. I accepted their offer last week and am still waiting to be contacted by the transfer agent.
    Does anyone know what would happen if I took my reconditioned wheels with new tires off, and replaced with 3 junk wheels and the spare tire? Along with taking out my after market CD player and replace with nothing? Will the transfer agent throw a fit?
    After all our beloved trucks are supposedly going non-stop to the crusher.
    Not both, at least at my dealership. I still have my certificate and its just 1000 off and thats after taxes. My dealership would not budge, so they lost my business.
    Toyota Motor Corp. did step up, but some dealerships are taking advantage of the situation. They should and I did report them. Talk about rubbing salt into a wound.
    :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • totouchantlertotouchantler Member Posts: 11
    Just droped my baby off this morning for rust inspection. Live in Syracuse. Lots of holes in frame. Just wondering about if it fails the rot test: Is it true that I can tell the transfer agent to try again if I don't like the KBB value he comes up with? What are my rights. I feel like i'm getting mixed messages on here. Some are saying the offer in non-negotiable and others are saysing they have negotiated higher offers. I know what KBB puts my truck at. Why would the offer the field rep gives me be any different. I know not to include any after market parts that I put on in the calculation. So what gives? But then again I just read a post that said the offer was a bit more than he/she expected....so I will keep my fingers crossed
    Just got the nod from the dealership that my truck qualifies for the buy back. They are starting the paper work as we speak. Also they told me I could take a loaner car from them or drive my truck. I choose the loaner....why not....better gas mileage right? I was also very surprised when the dealer told me to bring in the model numbers of my after markets stereo and and speakers????? All indications I got on here were that they would not include these in the price of the offer??? The rep told me they would? Crap....cause I just took the westin grille gaurd off and gave it to my buddy!!!! Oh well....I go to pick up the loaner tonight.....I wonder what it will be???
  • tcmatcma Member Posts: 8
    They were to offer you a rental when they inspected your truck and found rust holes. I had to argue with my dealer and call corporate and file a complaint, took 7 days but i have my loaner vehicle. At no cost to you for 30 days.
    I was told by the ISG person that nothing after market counts towards what they offer you. They look at what the factory options were when the vehicle was put on the lot new.
    I am very happy so far with the process. I was given a full sized Tundra V8 Crew Cab for a loaner. I told them that this was unacceptable as I drive 100 miles a day to work and back. They quickly said sorry and gave me a camry instead. How bad has gas gotten that i refuse to drive a full size tundra???....lol!!!! My only complaint is the dealership said that I only had 20 days with the loaner....they scoffed when I said 'I thought it was 30 days'.....they then said 'Well if you have to go 22 or 23 days it wont be a big deal'. I think they are trying to apply a little preasure to get these loaners back so they can give them back out to the next guy. Still I feel I want my thirty days as everyone on here say I'm entitled to. Who do I call to complain about this? Please give number.

Tcma,
    Thats what I thought to. I think you are right and that he did not know what he was talking about. Still....I gave the model number of my radio and speakers. We will will see what happens......I assume I will see zero extra money b/c of the 'premium' sound.

So far here is my attitude about the process: Smooth with the exception that they said I only have the loaner for 20 days and not 30 :mad: !!! I'm also trying to keep the attitude that this is a pain for me......and they should be accomodating to me. After all I rather had them build my truck right the first time instead of buying it back :P
  • kowitzkowitz Member Posts: 7
    My buyback wrapped up yesterday. My offer for my '98 Tacoma with 75,750 miles on it was $12,682.50, which was what I'd figured I'd get when I initially looked into this issue a few months ago.

My inspection was on the 12th of May. My offer was overnighted and in my hands on the 14th. I faxed back the documents on the 15th and mailed them a few days later after I'd received no confirmation that they'd received them. (I think I'd just mail them if I had it to do over ... you can't reach them by phone and they won't call you back if you leave a message during this part of the process.)

I had no contact from them until the local insurance guy called to set up an appointment on the 23rd. I had the check handed over yesterday, May 27th, after signing a few papers and handing over the title. So, for me, the whole process (minus the month I wasted after my dealer refused to inspect my truck the first time) was only 11 business days, 15 days total.

The dealer refused to complete the paperwork until I'd turned in the rental they provided ... sort of annoying since I'm now without a vehicle and have a 5 day hold from my bank on the check I received. Once that's done, I can pay off my wife's car loan and buy a new vehicle (Mazda3s GT).

The dealer had no interest in trying to sell me a vehicle. The service rep actually walked away while talking with me and started a new case when a car pulled in. I had all my papers in hand, so I figured he was done with me. I walked out.
  • giambi3022giambi3022 Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 Toyota Tacoma didn't pass inspection in February of this year so I traded it in for a 2004 Tacoma. My truck failed inspection because the frame was so rotted and it was beyond fixing. I actually traded the truck in on March 9 and the offer was dated March 10th on the Toyota website. At the time I traded it in I wasn't aware of this Customer Appreciation program. I called the phone number shown with the headline for the program and faxed all the necessary paperwork to see if they would still reimburse me some money.

Is there anyone out there in the same situation that has heard back from Toyota?
  • jbclimbsjbclimbs Member Posts: 6
    Make sure the Dealer uses "your" zip code. Values vari depending on area. I caught on dealer, (the dealer I bought my Taco from) using a zip from California when he was giving me comps for the one I was buying where the values are higher, I can imagine them using an area where they may be lower then your area.

Unfortunately since my post was well before the buy back offer, I fixed (welded patches to pass NH inspection) and then sold it for half of what I would have gotten had I been able to turn it it. Still it was a decent truck that I used dependable for three years, I'm glad I'm hearing that Toyota is stepping up to the plate with this.
    I dont know where they came up with 20 days on the loaner. It is 30 days and they can extend that if the entire process is not complete in 30 days, this is according to their re-purchase policy.
  • sarah_jsarah_j Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2001 and was wondering if anyone knows of the rust issue in this year. Toyota told they won't do the inspection for free, and that's fine. I'm just concerned because it's one year after the cut off...
  • toolztoolz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Taco x cab 4 x4.
    My local dealer took my Taco in but told me they did not know about the recall.
    After calling Toyota corp. they called me back and said my truck vin was not part of the recall.
    Does this sound right?
    Yes.....this sounds righ. Right on the buy back policy it lists the vin #s that qualifiy. I think it owuld be helpful if the perosn that posted that link to the policy earlier would post it again. Or read back through untill you find it. Its very helpful. As far as the other models. I heard that it was a window of years that the problem occured. After those years I think they tried to make it right. Still have not heard from the third party that is to settle my claim. Now in day 4 of turn in?
  • bigo5bigo5 Member Posts: 8
    I have the dealer documents that Toyota Corp provided to dealers about this program. I cannot post them to this site, but if you need them email me at cmoleski@roadrunner.com , I have been through the whole process and now am driving a 2008 Tacoma Acces Cab! But it was hard to locate a base model 4x4 so be prepared. With the additional $2000 I got in rebates, I couldn't pass up the deal.
  • toolztoolz Member Posts: 2
    Does this or does anyone have the vin numbers or models for the Tacos being recalled?
    As stated earlier my local Toyota dealer told me mine was not included.
    2000 x cab 4 x 4
    If you email me I can send them to you. They are in the documents I have.
  • bpenley9bpenley9 Member Posts: 1
    How can I e-mail you? I couldn't find your address. I noticed you had the documents, and was looking to see them. I have a 1998 Tacoma 4x4, and am looking to do this trade-in deal. Thanks!
    Here it is................cmoleski@roadrunner.com
  • donnyxdonnyx Member Posts: 2
    Not sure how many are involved but the rust issue does exist on some 2001s, perhaps especially on early ones such as mine, manufactured in late 2000. You should look under your truck to see if the frame rails look excessively rusty. If so you can take a hammer an (a little more than) lightly hit the rusty spots (especially raised ones) repeatedly to see how much rust comes off and if holes develop. If the rust is coming off in chunks, more than just a little dust then your truck may have the problem. If holes develop you should call them and insists that your frame looks unsafe and describe the holes etc. They will get you in, be persistent.
  • dunleav1dunleav1 Member Posts: 1
    Can you post what kind of incentives Toyota offered to you to buy another Toyota?
    New and Preowned certified Toyota?

Thanks.
  • tam1216tam1216 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 1998 Tacoma X-tra cab 4x4 with believe it or not ONLY 39,000 miles on it.
    We bought it new and with my husbands job, he has a provided vehicle, so this truck hardly ever gets driven. I am dreading getting it inspected. Looking at losing this and ending up with a car payment makes me ill! I hope we don't have to jump through hoops to explain the low mileage. Just put 4 brand new tires on it last fall. Will make the call tomorrow and see how long until we can get in to get it inspected.
    With that few miles you might be ok. At the very least if it doesn't pass, find 4 crappy tires and take your new ones off. I know of a few people that have done that.
    Remember, toyota has a 15 yr war. on the frames now. You are covered for awhile.
  • tam1216tam1216 Member Posts: 2
    Was everyone sent a letter about this, because we never received one. Just curious.
    No letter sent to me whatsoever.....and I bought my truck from a dealership. Its complete bull crap that they have not sent letters to all tacoma owners. My buddy did not know about this buy back program and he just bought a pre-owned tacoma b/c his would not pass inspection. He just let 10 maybe 12 grand fly out the window b/c toyota did not make him aware of this program. He tried telling Toyota about this and they said.....sorry...you already sold your truck and bought a new one. Toyota has done a lousy job getting the word out there. Any inspection garage should know about this in case they run into it as a reason for failing inspection. Its criminal. The more and more I think about this the more and more I feel like i'm getting ripped off. Sure they are buying back my truck at a good amount but now I can't find a base model to get into for the amount of the check. I almost certainly will have a truck payment. I rather had them build my truck right and still be driving it instead of this run around. Also.....its now been day 14 and no word from toyota or the third party. The guy at the dealership said somebody would call me withing two days :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Incentives are:

1000 rebate if you buy a brand new Toyota truck
    500 rebate if you buy a brand new Toyota car
    500 rebate if you buy a "certified" Toyota used vehicle from a Toyota dealer.
    Rebate is after taxes. :(
  • lariatsamlariatsam Member Posts: 1
    Just had my 97' Tacoma inspected. Perforation in right rear (over axle) and small hole in front. Amazing since I live in Vermont, (road salt 7 months a year). I expected worse. I've checked with a local certified welding shop, no problem fixing. This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned, and I've had a ton of them. Toyota corp., (bless their hearts) are super cool about the offer, but I've decided to keep my rig. 237,000 miles and this truck still looks and runs like new. Don't care too much for the new Tacoma's, staying with the compact years. If you can fix 'em, they'll last for years to come! No regret's.
  • rav4framerav4frame Member Posts: 1
    Since it's not a Tacoma even though 6 independent mechanics say this is not at all normal wear, Toyota Canada and our dealer refuse to pay. You'd think someone would have seen this since the RAV4 was at the dealer 2-3 times a year for oil changes. It's like it wasn't ever rustproofed prior to it's initial install.

Sorry I won't post the whole story here since I already put in a lot of work getting a site together on Toyota frame rust problems.

You can see pictures and the whole story on http://www.toyotaframerust.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Item- id=26
  • cgranbergcgranberg Member Posts: 23
    what state are you in? we are in massachusetts.

we have the same 2001. i emailed toyota and they got back to us right away (that was the only time that happened). everything else has taken a long time and they still have no answers. they did inspect the truck. they said if there was no rust we would have to pay for the inspection. the rust was worse than the inspector had seen on many. we were told we would have to get a secondary inspection done but it just so happened that a regional inspector was at the dealership doing the same inspection to other tacomas (one even an 02) that day. they told us we could not drive the truck. we parked it at the dealership the next day. someone from ca. toyota headquarters called us right away. we got a case number and a free rental car. that will be four weeks ago this coming friday. they had given us a corola. ha. when we get the rental renewed we are going to tell them we want a truck! another dealership told us they would give us one if this one didn't!!

a salesperson from the dealership called a couple weeks ago saying that a rep from toyota was there that day and it looked like we were going to get 100% of book for the truck. like that was a good deal. NOT considering that older trucks were getting the buyback of 150% regarless of condition. we also had a supercharger put on the truck when we bought it NEW.

our "case manager" from toyotal headqtrs called today and gave the same 100% speel. however, we have yet to see a written proposal and told them that wasn't acceptable. she said she couldn't give us 150% because that wasn't within their guidelines. whatever that means.

we did file a complaint with nhtsa. i haven't contacted the attny general. that would be a good idea though.

i would like to know if you have gotten any where with your case. please post again.
  • toyojoetoyojoe Member Posts: 3
    Just took my taco to dealer last Sat. He rented me a brand new Camry from Enterprise renta-car after inspecting my frame and finding perforation. Pretty nice treatment. I said, "You mean I can't drive my truck home?" and he said, "We'd prefer if you took the Enterprise." Next step is a Toyo Rep to review it. I went to get some stuff out of the cab and found my truck parked in a bone yard of several tacos - probably all in same boat. My truck is beautiful and has been my baby since new. It is a 4x4 ext cab SR5 and I put an ARB on it with a really excellent custom made ladder rack (stainless) and a custom made rear bumper - my son helped me make all this and I also have 3" spring helpers. This truck is just a GREAT truck. I've done SO MUCH with this truck that I can't stand the thought of having to get rid of it. I don't care how good a deal they MIGHT offer me. It is really a great truck. I have put over 2300 pounds of stone in it...I've hauled so much firewood that I could heat a small city...I've punched through so many snowdrifts and NEVER got stuck...I've gone on rock crawls that I thought I'd need to get winched out of but not needed (lockers!). My son once took a video of him on a rock crawl I would not do myself but he just HAD to do it...and on the day of the filming my Taco was the ONLY vehicle that made it unassisted! I have used this truck to trailer big loads too...my buddy has a dual axle flatbed trailer that we often used instead of his V10 Dodge because my truck was more maneuverable and we NEVER had problem hauling with it. I once drove 15 hours with a Honda Magna in the back while ALSO hauling a car trailer with a Toyota Camry on it! I did have to do some downshifting on hills but I got an HONEST 17mpg on that trip. My truck just rocks. I could go on and on and on. I'm glad Toyota is coming to the table on this the right way...who the hell else would do that...and this crap about this costing them $100 million or more...they need to realize that this recall is a HUGE marketing event for them if they play it right. I'm a huge Toyo fan and I'll always be one...Frankly I'm hoping they tell me that somehow they will be able to repair my truck to my satisfaction. I'd love to bring her home. I feel like my family member is in the hospital for God's sake. I bought that truck ON PURPOSE to keep it forever. I'm 50 years old and I was really hoping to drive it until I was put into the earth. It runs so strong, I've done everything right regarding maintenance. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking...but this is like a champion horse getting a deadly disease that she ain't coming back from. I'm heart broken.
    not to be a downer but you should ask........don't be disappointed if they don't give you anything for any of those after market custom things.

good luck
  • jbclimbsjbclimbs Member Posts: 6
    especially about all the Hauling you've done. Toyota might be doing the right thing in some cases But I'll be they will look for any out they can. And your story, though a great review of what you (and I) can do with a Taco. It could also be used by Toyota as a excuse that you may have "abused" the truck.

I do "feel your pain". I had intended to keep mine forever as well. And it when places no other would go before. It once Pulled a Plumbers Dodge Van up our mountain side drive in a blizzard! Not only was I peeved when I fail my state inspection. I had to dish out 1200 bucks to fix the frame so I could get an inspection sticker. I found out about the buy back a week after I sold the truck (with full disclosure about the repair).
    Toyojoe,
    No offense....but you got to get a life. I'm not saying that Toyota makes crap trucks but in the case of the frames for the years of the buyback....they failed their customers greatly. What if people don't want a truck payment or worse yet...can't afford one. There are no more base models of these trucks left around here. They have all been bought up. Yeah we are going to get a chunk of money for the truck...but its not going to cover the replacement. I think toyota dealerships should be asked to haul in as many base models as possible.....from southern states so that their loyal customers can afford the truck they use to own outright!!!
  • sarah_jsarah_j Member Posts: 2
    I'm also in Mass. I actually haven't gotten anywhere, due to a consuming personal life, but I'll be getting on it soon, since I'm moving south and have to put a motorcycle in the bed of my truck. I'd rather pay for the check up than find out the hard way. Keep me posted on your situation, and good luck!
    Yeah I know...I gotta get a life...I agree 100%. I just can't stand the thought of losing my truck really. I looked at the new Tacomas the other day and they are "pretty" but pricey too. When I bought my Yoda I wanted to keep it for life. I paid it off in two years and have driven payment free for 8 years! This really does suck.
    Advice well taken. We all do have some great stories though. This IS a great truck. I really have been able to COUNT on it. Bottom line is I TRUST this truck. I'd drive it to Alaska tomorrow. I'm not afraid to get into tight spots...I've never been winched. We used to run tandem or triple 4x4 runs and I could easily do anything my son's Wrangler could do. My son's buddy had an earlier Yoda and it was pretty rough so we used to use it for all the abusive stuff...and we always were amazed at how it just kept going.
  • dr7464dr7464 Member Posts: 1
    I am in Massachusetts too. I have (had) a 2001 Tacoma w/ a rotten frame. It's been a long, unnecessarily drawn out process. My process started May 1, 2008. I'm still waiting. I hear there is only one claims processor doing all of the 2001 claims. So the backlog isn't her fault. Toyota was ill-prepared to deal with this. My free loaner vehicle is being taken from me on June 20th.
  • quazi222quazi222 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 tacoma x-tra cab which failed frame inspection the rep told me I would probably get 100% of kbb and not 150% like the 95 to 2000s I feel this is not fair ! just because it's a year older it has the exact same problem what do I do when they only offer me 11,000 instead of 16,000 still owe 7000.00 on truck?? :sick:
  • quazi222quazi222 Member Posts: 3
    Hello my name is mike from pittsburgh I have a 2001 tacoma that failed frame inspection .I am waiting for a decision on how much I am going to get for my truck If they say just a 100% of kbb that is not fair when did they stop using this defective steel and how can we find out when it was manufactured? my e-mail is quazi222@yahoo.com maybe we can trade advice and info?
  • kelokelo Member Posts: 5
    Thanks big05 for the documents. We just had our 2000 Tacoma inspected on Friday and was told by the dealership that it may take about 6 to 8 weeks before a Toyota rep will be in contact with us. They did say it could be sooner as the case loads have calmed down a bit. I guess its now just a waiting game. They did tell us that we qualify for the 150% suggested retail price and we also asked them about extending the loaner since it appears it will be more than 30 days before everything is settle. They said they would. Course it could be because we put a deposit on a new Tacoma and told them we'd make the final purchase once the check form Toyota arrived. Since Toyota has a 3rd party company addressing these issues, there is no way the dealership can lean on them to expedite the process. We'd like to have this all settle and the new truck in our possession before our daughter moves back to college. Crossing my fingers for a quick resolution, wish us luck!
    why is the loaner being taken from you? we have an 01 with the same deal. we got our loaner on may 16. we got another 30day renewal just last friday. this is a big mess with the 2001's. we saw a 2002 at the dealer being inspected too, it failed.

everyone who has one of these trucks should file a complaint with the National HIghway Traffice Safety Administration, the Center for Car Safety and your state's Attorney General. Sorry I don't have the links but if you google them I'm sure they will come up.
  • 1blackfish1blackfish Member Posts: 2
    TOOK MY 1998 TOYOTA TACOMA SR5 TO MY LOCAL TOYOTA DEALER 7;30 AM AFTER ONE AND A HALF HOURS I WAS TOLD THE VEHICLE HAD NO RUST ON THE FRAME.AS OF YET..SHOULD I RUN IT UP ON RAMPS AND CHECK IT MY SELF? THE BODY PANEL HAVE NO RUST I HAVE 73K ON THE SPEEDO..I AM THINKING THEY ARE SOOO OVER WELMED WITH TRUCKS THAT MAYBE THEY JUST DONOT WANT TO TAKE IT BACK ARE THERE ANY OTHER OUNERS OUT THERE THAT DONOT HAVE A RUST PROBLEM ON A 10 YEAR OLD TACOMA??THEY ALSO TOLD IF I WANT TO BRING IT BACK NEXT YEAR..FOR ANOTHER INSPECTION..IT WAS FREE THERE WAS NO CHARGE
  • 13gunbunny13gunbunny Member Posts: 4
    I have an 01 Double cab that just failed State Insp here in NH..

Purchased it less than a year and a half ago from Grapone in Conc. 82K on it
    I brought it down to grapone after it failed and had a case # opened. Toyota called and I have to Let Grapone inspect it tomorrow and see what they say. Should be pretty straight forward as there are Holes through the frame on both sides of the frame in front of the shakles..

They better not give me that 100% KBB bull because I still owe 15K on it....
    I will update tomorrow after I have it inspected..