Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• schukanuosladyschukanuoslady Member Posts: 118
    Ok... I know what you are going thru. I was really stressed out over this with my truck. When they told me they found a hole I sat there and started crying. And they had to nerve to tell me ..so what..its only a vehicle. That was MY vehicle that I busted my butt off as a single mom to pay off. And kept it up so good that it had almost all original parts. With 131,000 mile on it I only replaced the radiator, water pump and 2 oxygen sensors up to the exhaust manifold and belts done 3 weeks before toyota took my truck.

But if you have an accident because of the frame, and you don't have liability and its your fault you are going to be sued if someone gets hurt.

Now, look at me.... go see what I have been posting the last few weeks. I lost my truck which I trusted my life with. Go check out the Hyundai Elantra forum posts I have been posting.

I hate it Toyota took my truck and now I have more stress to deal with. I would do it all over again though as I have seen some of the trucks that were a yr older than mine loading onto the 18 wheelers to get taken away. And they were 96's and 95's. I had a 97.

And Toyota would not give us any of the money back we paid for repairs in April because I didn't get a letter in March like other people did and also, they wouldn't pay us for the rust we took care of.

And I complained and for a week was pestered by Toyota to turn the truck over. Yes, they probbaly can make life miserble for you and if you don't carry insurance here in the US its against the law not to have liability insurance. You can drive with no colllision and pay yourself for damage but you can lose your DL if you don't carry basic liability if you should cause an accident. Please do look up my postings on the Hyundai board too.

And then remember.... I was stressed over my truck, now I am double stressed.
    My husband was almost killed 3 weeks ago because of a manufacturer defect and the car he was driving is the same kind I am driving. I bought it with my money from Toyota and he liked it so much he went and bought one. And was almost killed. And I am driving a time bomb right now waiting for the same thing to happen to me and there is nothing I can do till it happens.
  • cgranbergcgranberg Member Posts: 23
    funny, we were specifically told once we sign the check the rental has to be turned in. Good luck to you. It has been nothing but a pain for us too.
  • cass6cass6 Member Posts: 3
    has anyone had more than one Toyota in the buyback program.. our 98 failed,everything went smooth, we purchased a used 99 and it failed also, our claim was turmed over to Toyota corp, after 3 weeks, all we have been told is that any toyota bought after March does not qualify for the buyback program.. how can they do this>? anyone know of a similar situation?
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I think Toyota has had to respond to some opportunists who were taking advantage of the situation, and buying multiple Tacomas from unsuspecting owners, and trying to flip them in the buyback program for the 1.5 value.

The regional rep from Toyota told me that length of ownership is now being taken into consideration. My service manager said that owners of trucks purchased after the buyback program was announced may only be offered what they paid, as the timing seems suspicious.
    thanks for the information, I can see Toyotas side, but this was a replacement vehicle, not bought to be flipped, I dont understand why the buyback could not be valid because it was bought after Toyotas announcement I would hope they would take into consideration the fact I wanted a replacement truck and somehow ended up with another failed vehicle, I do not know what I can do at this point...
    Did you not see the link back in May where the dealer letter was posted? It stated that the only trucks eligible were ones bought before the announcement of the buyback. And that if any dealer sold a truck in March before the buyback they had to buy it back from who ever they sold it to. And it also said the dealer would get book value for anything sitting in their lots. And if someone bought one after the buyback went into effect they would only get regular book value. Didn't you get even offered that? As they won't give 150% but they are supposed to give what the truck is worth regular book value. I would call Toyota if I were you. I know they don't want people cashing in on a triple amount of money too. I was shocked to see Toyotas on Ebay and people were buying them like crazy. So it is possible Toyota thinks some people want to make off this buyback. But then I also heard they were going to give the previous owner part of the money who had just sold it privately too. And the new owner the rest. I would never have bought another the same year. Did you buy it from a used car lot/dealer because they have to buy it back from you for what you paid for it if you did. It states that in the dealer letter on the internet.
  • 2001taco2001taco Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone have the 800 number for the ISG people who are handling the 2001 and newer buy backs ...Its been since May and no appointment yet!
  • cal4cal4 Member Posts: 14
    Just to clairify what my insurance company told me. If you were offically told your truck had frame problems, you continued to drive it and got into an accedent because of it, the insurance company will not cover you. IT MAKES NO DIFFERNCE IF YOU HAVE LIABILITY INSURANCE OR NOT.
    where can I find access to this letter, I obviously did not see it, this was bought from a Toyota dealer...
    Did you call Toyota and establish a case number? (800.331.4331, then option #5).
    I took my 2001 to my dealer on July 3 and called Toyota the same day, as directed by my service manager. My truck was inspected (and failed) July 16. Now I'm waiting for an offer....
  • tylorkittytylorkitty Member Posts: 18
    well its over, the 00 is gone, and I went looking for an 08 Tacoma, GOOD LUCK! I went to every dealer within 50 miles, majority have NONE, two had at least three, majprity are Manual trasmission, rest had TUNDRAS, you can buy a TUNDRA cheaper than a Tacoma. the 09 SR5 4x4 auto with full cab are on the lots, and they are at MSRP 29k and up. You will NOT find a simple 08 or 09 Tacoma, they are all coming out on the lots with Option #2, and up. So lets re-cap this.......
    I had a 00 with only 2 years left of payments. They buy it back, give me 14k, I am now literally forced to buy a " tricked out" Tacoma, at 29k, they give 1k incentive, I use my buyback $$ to place a good chunk down, I finance the rest....... hmmmm, through Toyota MOtor credit, hmmmmm they give me a LOUSY interest rate
    ( FICO is 711, no lates etc) nahhhhhhhh, Toyota is making out good, by the time I pay off this loan with the crappy interest rate.... I really got NOTHING. Dealers have ZERO incentives to sell on the Tacomas, they are pushing Tundras.
    Dont get me wrong, I was lucky to find an 09 Barcelona Red 4x4 auto, full cab, SR5, but was happy without all the whistles and bells of my old one... and I am now in severe debt!!!
    I have had a case since May . My truck failed on the 26th of May ...Just received the offer . It was less then book...now waiting for ISG to call with the date to meet ...Do not think this will happen quickly for you..have not heard of a 2001 that has not taken at least 2 months!..
    What exactly is your model & mileage, and what was your offer? KBB retail in excellent condition for my '01 X-tra Cab SR5 4x4 with 39,000 miles is about $12K. I've purchased a new '08 Access Cab, so I'm in no hurry. I'm hoping patience will work to my favor.

What is 'ISG?' I thought offers were being mailed....
  • mattz88mattz88 Member Posts: 9
    Hello

For anyone that is getting a hard time from Toyota in terms of the Toyota Tacoma Frames rusting out please try this website The Center for Auto Safety It has alot of valuable information on it and you can file a complaint if you wish. Another website is Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) | U.S. Department of Transportation file a complaint and they will start investigating your complaint. Hopefully this can help alot get many of these defective vehicles off the road and correct corporate irresponsibility. If you would like email me at mrmattz88@gmail.com
    Thanks
    http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/TOYOTA_TACOMA_comments_and_complaints_202-2- - - 109-4.html
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/slideshow/news/15876993/detail.html
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/15879699/detail.html
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/15877183/detail.html
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/toyota-offers-to-buy-back-rusty-tacom- - - as/
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/16192222/detail.html
    Here is the direct link to the letter the Dealers all got including what they are looking for and telling them how to treat the customers.

http://www.autosafety.org/uploads/phpMgeIbQ_TacomaCustomerSupportProgram.pdf
  • rollingtacorollingtaco Member Posts: 3
    I have an appointment for 8-1-08 to have my 2000 taco inspected.
    I dread it so bad. I have been reading your posts for a few days and it's been a big help to me. So, I joined up to this forum today.
    I looked under the truck but I don't see anything right off, but I bet they will. I love my truck so much I just don't know what I'll do if it is rejected. I hate the thought of going in debt again.
    Will they let you keep your wheels and tires? How about the bug gard and the window wind gaurds? In other words can I strip it down and keep what I want?
    I wish I had gone in back in early june because I'm off all summer since school is out, I'm a lunch lady...lol.
    Now I'm scared about wrecking, so I'm doing it now.
    You may remove all aftermarket items. If you remove the wheels and tires, you must at least replace with something. My dealer said I could remove my tires and replace with balds, but the effort wasn't worth the cost. Find out first if your truck fails, then strip the easy aftermarket stuff. Toyota doesn't care; offer will be based on stock truck.
    They let you take it back home to to get your personal stuff out too and remove your aftermarket things and then bring it back, but it holds up the processing till you get it back. I prepared for the worst and ended up with just personal things left in the truck the day we went. Then my husband took everything out. We left the cap on and the tow winch and got more money because of it. Then I remembered I had replaced the Toyota stereo with a CD player. I called and it was after they submitted their report and the dealer took my stereo out for me and told me to come pick it up. I agree about the tires. Depends on the condition. Someone stole my hubcap covers too and they still went by what was pre-installed by the factory plus the cap I put on and the tow winch.
    Thanks for the info, schukanuoslady and heywood1.
  • jdailey23jdailey23 Member Posts: 3
    So I got my offer by email on the 22nd and faxed it back, how long does it usually take to get a call back and get the check? I ask because my wife and I are going out of town for 6 days and we are leaving on the 1st of August, we'd like to have our check so we can have some extra money, but on the other hand, if we dont get the money, we are going to take the rental instead of our new car we bought on Wed. If they would happen to call on the day we leave, are they going to give me some crap for not being able to meet them on that desired day or whatever day they are there?? Im the one inconvenienced here and arent they suppose to work around our schedule?
    I faxed my offer back signed on June 16. By the end of the week the person going to the dealerships called me to arrange to meet her on June 26, which was the earliest she could meet me.

I was told by ISG if I didn't hear in 5 days about getting the check to call them back as they cut a check the day after they got my offer signed and she had the check from them overnighted to her. That was the earliest she could meet me. I would think you are going to hear by Wed from the person with your check.

And they are not going to get mad if about when you meet them as you are being inconvienced. They are going out of their way to make you feel like you are being treated with the upmost respect as they want you to take that check and buy another Toyota. They gave me a certificate good for $1000 off a truck or $500 off a new/used Toyota car only too when they gave me my check.

If they don't get in touch about meeting with the check by Wed, call ISG and tell them. I would take the rental on vacation. Heck... tell them you can't make it the day they want. As you probably won't get your check before Aug 1 unless by some miracle. And put the darn miles on their vehicle... I bought a new vehicle the week after they took my truck and drove their rental until I had the check in my hand. I wasn't about to put miles on my new vehicle when I had a free rental with unlimited mileage. Did they give you a truck as a rental? As they tried to give me a new 4 x 4 and I told the guy was he going to give me a step ladder too to get in and out of it....hahaha I ended up with a Scion XB. Hated it. Had a worst bench to sit on then my Taco had. My Taco had great seats. This Scion was hard as a rock almost to sit on. But I used it for everyplace local to go.

I had turned in a 2 x 4 extend cab. And told him how the heck did he think I could get in and out of that 4 x 4. I hear the 4 x 4 Tundra is a gas hog too. The girl at my bank lost her Toyota and they gave her one of those to rent till her check comes in. She told me there is no way her husband will get a new Tundra. She said it rides great but really is a super gas hog.
  • modman2modman2 Member Posts: 2
    KEEP YOUR RENTAL FOR THE FULL 30 DAYS .TAKE IT ON VACATION JUST TELL THEM YOUR GOING TO BE OUT OF TOWN AND YOU CANT MAKE THE APPOINTMENT .I RESCHECULED MINE TWICE BUT THE MONTH IS UP SO I AM MEETING WITH ISG WENDSDAY TO SIGN FOR MY CHECK .IT WAS NO PROBLEM WITH ISG TO KEEP MY RENTAL FOR THE FULL 30 DAYS, JUST TOLD THEM I DID NOT FIND A REPLACEMENT VEHICLE.
  • jdailey23jdailey23 Member Posts: 3
    Well, my 30 days will be August 1st and already bought a new car, just dont want to put the miles on it, maybe I will tell them I cant meet til Thursday of next week if they call me today, which I doubt.
  • wallas2008wallas2008 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone!!!!

Just want to know if anyone with 2001 tacoma have frame rot? I see lots of rust on mine mostly around welded areas. Need some help on what I should do next. Thanx
    Just take your 2001 in to the dealership and they will inspect it ...Just do not think you will be treated as the 95-2000 buyback..They will buy it back if it fails but you will be lucky to get book value and it is a very long procedure!
  • rcoolercoole Member Posts: 10
    I had my 2000 Tacoma (with 39,400 miles) inspected in May and it passed. Last Saturday (July 26th) I had it in for oil change and they found a hole (the size of a dime) in the frame. The hole is on the bottom of the frame in front of the front leaf spring hanger on the drivers side. I checked the frame myself in May after the inspection and did not see this hole but could see where the frame had been hit with the hammer. This hole is about an inch from where the hammer had struck the frame. Even though they recommend a yearly inspection, I'd check it at least monthly.
    take it to another dealer ASAP. I heard some of the dealers are passing the trucks and then if you go to another one it fails. We had a hole in the passenger rear. And it was small and they took my truck. Go to another dealer. You have that right.
  • rcoolercoole Member Posts: 10
    I did take this truck back on July 29th to the dealer that had passed it in May and they failed it. Got the loaner car and am just waiting for the paperwork. I have a friend at the local parts store that is the ISG rep for Toyota, he advised that I take it back to the dealer that had passed it. To make a long story short, everything is working out fine with me! Just wanted to make everyone aware to keep an eye on their frames at least monthly even though it had just passed the test.
  • renegadecjrenegadecj Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have a 2002 Tacoma and was told by a tech yhat works at a local dealership that Toyota was going to recall 2004 and earlier eventually. When I called the dealership they told me that they had no idea , and had not heard of a recall for the later years. Has anyone heard anything about the 2001-04 models?
  • bigbebigbe Member Posts: 17
    I just checked my frame and found 1hole about the size of an egg on the drivers side and 4 holes the size of dimes on the pasingers side My truck is mint with custom work done to it I guess am screwed I just made an anointment to have it checked by toyota I dont think they would refund me for all the "extras" I put in the truck. Can any one out there suggest any course of action Th nx
  • cal4cal4 Member Posts: 14
    You are screwed.

i took my case all the way to toyota corparate because i had factory itiems like lock diff, a $700 convienance package that KBB did not give any credit for and a fibor glass cap that was worth more than the $100 credit KBB assigned it.

toyota corp said you are getting 1.5 X KBB; take or leave it chump. my insurance adgent and the national transpertation board both told me, drive this truck after you have been told its bad, get into an accedent and YOU are the liable one

I am really getting sick of the eletist, snobby stuck up attitude I am getting up and down the line in this mess. the dealer's lie to you about what they can.and can't do in getting you into another truck.

This is beginning to smell like a master plan from toyota corparate. Buy back these trucks for at times no more than their true value, get $500 for scrap, up the price of new trucks 5.1%, only put loaded trucks on the lot to choise from, give no rebate on the lower $ truck ($4000 on the tundra hog), don't let the customer order or get a truck from out of the "region", unfavorable financing compareed to other brands, 0 concideration if the greaved customer wonts to buy a Pries or Scion (only 500 off sticker on another Toyota product). The toyota corp is not the great guy their marketing gurus hav emade them out to be.
  • bigbebigbe Member Posts: 17
    Just got off the phone with my Toyota Dealer (Who I bought the truck from ) They wont even look at it 2001 is not part of the plan and that if my farme has holes in ot there is nothing they can do I guess Toyota has bailing .... :lemon:
    You have to agree to pay for the inspection on your 2001 - 39.00 most places if it passes ...If it fails they take your truck into a different program ..You do not receive 1.5 times book value ...most people are getting book value only on the 2001s..They can not refuse to inspect it ...call again
  • intermodintermod Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at buying a used 1999 Tacoma. In Chicago! How many trucks are there out there that are affected? The seller will let me have it inspected... and I will. But I would appreciate just a little perspective on this. Thanks!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If you go back a bit, you'll see that Toyota is being very cautious about new owners of trucks affected by the recall since the program was announced... they are trying to keep people from buying and "flipping" bad trucks for the cash profit.

Safe decision: find a much newer or different brand of truck than the recalled Tacomas.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Thanks kcram. I guess I just need to get a feeling for whether ALL of these frames will EVENTUALLY rust out... or not. Is it a matter of time? The 99 tacoma I'm looking at on Sunday looks perfect for me. But I'm also looking at a Nissan Frontier 2002 desert runner. It's ugly as ______ but in good shape. So you're saying anything but a tacoma until we know more?
    I took my 2000 tacoma in today and it passed. They said there was another recall on something else and they took care of that to. Something about the towing ...thing. I was so excited that I didn't hear it all that she was telling me. I have to have it checked every year from now on.
  • divwiddivwid Member Posts: 10
    Had a 2000 Tacoma here in S. Ontario. Received letter in May re: frame perforation due to defective undercoating. 96,000 kms (65, 000 miles) Failed inspection. Toyota Canada offered Canadian Black Book Value X 1.5. Offer was 19,000 Canadian dollars. Lost a lot of sleep and gave up some vacation days while mulling over situation. Since I paid 19,000 in 2003 at time of purchase of this truck decided to accept offer. Insurance issues, less value for my truck if I wait until next year, etc. Glad to be rid of the whole situation. Purchased 2009 Toy. Corolla and came close to breaking even on deal. Perhaps there ia a silver lining lining here with the more efficient fuel economy of the Corolla. Although I loved my Tacoma and really find a truck useful in this rural area I am now sleeping better and glad to be rid of the whole mess. Oh yes, sold off good tires on Taco. Replaced with "skins" to drop off Tacoma for final time. Hope I never have to go through this again. Bye, bye truck!!! DIVWID
  • happytacohappytaco Member Posts: 3
    I live in northern IL. I had purchased my 1999 TRD Tacoma 08/30/1999 for $22,552.00 the sticker was $24,132.00. I had an ASC $1200.00 power moon roof & alpine single CD installed. I received the letter in the mail then set up my inspection. I could see the frame on right side was rusted out, it did not pass. After a hassle from the service manager about my loaner I was on my way with a Trail Blazer.
    My Tacoma had 222,115 miles. I had just put my third set of tires on in March. My next step was to go on line to KBB.com the retail price in excellent condition is $9375 x 1.5 ISG is giving me $14,062.00 + $1000 if I buy a new Toyota.
    Also on KBB.COM I used the Internet dealer price search. It turned out my local Toyota dealer had the best price for a new 2008 TRD Off Road Tacoma Model code 7553. Retail was $28,379.00 with out tax and all the charges. With the $2000 rebate out the door with tax and all $23,126.00 if you minus the 14k & 1k from ISG & Toyota my new TRD cost me $8,064.00.
    I’M A VERY HAPPY WITH A NEW 2008 TRD TACOMA.
    What year was your Taco? My lock diff, was part of the TRD package.
    Just my 2¢, but I'd avoid a vehicle that's under recall for such a serious issue. If you read this whole discussion, quite a few people said their Tacomas looked in top condition and still had the rust holes in the frame.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • reuserreuser Member Posts: 8
    I own a 1999 Tacoma which I purchased less than 2 years ago with 39000 on it then, 54000 now. It failed the test two weeks ago despite undercoating. I DID NOT make out as well as those who enthusiastically sold their 1997 Tacomas with 400000 miles on them [sic] since I had only recently purchased this vehicle (replacing a 1990 pickup), and it was in fine shape other than the fist-sized hole in the frame which even my mechanic missed three months ago. I probably paid too much for the '99 in the first place (commissioned to be purchased at auction), but I was in a hurry two years ago and needed help fast.

Because I don't have the time or energy to spend on this exercise, and because all of those who were notified earlier than me and able to get officially inspected and rejected have sucked up most of the available used Toyota inventory within a 300-mile radius of Vermont, I am now the un-proud owner of a 2006 Ford (!) Ranger, V6 with the potential for ABS problems. Although on the face of it I may have been left with some cash, it is greatly diminished and almost disappears when my time involved is calculated as well as the miles I have driven (I refused to let them have my Toyota on inspection day) looking for a different vehicle. The annoyance factor, lower mpg and the increased insurance premiums take up the rest and more. (By the way, supposedly the dealer was to make me sign a waiver when I left the lot, but I was asked to sign nothing).

Last week I spoke with Clarence Ditlow of the Center for Auto Safety (see their website autosafety.org), and he is aware that this is not a good thing. Although it would appear that Toyota is stepping up to the plate, between refusing to call this a recall and literally leaving people stranded at the dealer when the truck is turned in (and mine is 40 miles away), they have made an awful mess of things. (This doesn't even count the 2000-year plus vehicles which have rust problems). Everyone seems to think that because they provide rentals that that makes up for everything, but taking the rental away and leaving you wondering how to get home after they hand you the check isn't my idea of good public relations.

I've also heard, although I haven't verified it, that if you ignore them after they tell you you have perforation and get the frame fixed on your own, your title then becomes a salvage title, which greatly diminishes the value of the vehicle. (The increased warranty apparently only applies if no perforation is found now). It is apparently also true that if you continue to drive the vehicle and get into an accident even your insurance company won't cover you. Therefore you are FORCED to resell it to Toyota and suffer their repeated overnight mail which barely gives you time to find a copy center and call UPS or, heaven forbid, be out of town during this process.

I've owned Toys for 27 years (put a wooden bed on my '90 when it rusted out), but I'm not sure I will again. They seem to be going downhill fast, and I'm sorely disappointed to be receiving somewhat threatening letters without provocation. No "thanks for being a loyal customer," no "gee, we're sorry to put you through this and we'll help you find a different vehicle to suit your needs, even if it's not a Toyota," just a hired gun (Impartial Services) whose staff don't seem to talk to each other. And they don't even include their email address when they say that you can return things by email. Rushing a bit? Not too well thought out?

Taking on Toyota would be a big job, but there has to be a law firm interested if they only knew the extent of the problem. I just noticed that on the Center for Auto Safety's website (autosafety.org) there is a place to file a complaint and indicate your interest in a class action suit, but because of all of the contact information which is published I'd recommend that you not file your complaint until you've cashed your check. There aren't alot of complaints listed, so people may not know about the site, but I think that if hundreds of people complained a law firm might take notice...even those with model years beyond 2000 should complain.

I am not litigious by nature, but this is appalling. Clearly there is a safety issue here -- I don't argue with that -- but if Toyota wants to survive in this economic climate (and some of us still need trucks), they need to be more accomodating at least. And as one person pointed out on another blog, Toyota MUST have known about this for several years -- so why did it take so long to go public? A recall would have been instantaneous, and more honest.

As far as I can tell I've signed nothing that waives my right to sue, so I'm game. Thanks for listening, I needed to vent.

Unhappy in Vermont
    Did you not get the full KBB bood value at excellent condition 150%? Because I read someplace that if you were not the original owner then and only then would you not get it. The would pro-rate the amount and give some to the new owner and then some to original owner who sold it. Sorry you didn't make out so good. If it makes you feel a little better, I didn't know about this forum. I got my letter on May 20, the dealer took my truck on May 31. My truck had a new exhaust manifold and 3 new belts put in in April, plus I paid my 2 yr MV registration in April ($89 for 2 yrs), it passed inspection and MV in NY was SOOOO NICCCEEEE :mad: to refund me 1 yrs MV fees only. Plus in Oct of 2007, hubby had rust sandblasted off my frame and had the whold frame and the whole truck painted to the tune of $3000. So when we found this forum and saw letters were going in March, and Toyota knew about this and I spent almost $1000 in April, well my husband thinks I was ripped off. You are right. I signed nothing saying there can't be a class action lawsuit. Hopefully a lawyer starts one. I will be on the bandwagon for that.
  • reuserreuser Member Posts: 8
    Yes, I will get 150% of KBB (I just sent back the acceptance letter). My point was that by the time I bought a different vehicle (from the limited number of 4x4 manual transmission trucks available in this area at this time), buying a cap, getting a bridge loan from the bank so that I could get a truck almost instantly (I can't afford to be without a vehicle where I live in the woods), spending my time not working but rather buying a truck and fielding phone calls and mail from Toyota, driving to the dealer twice, buying new snows etc., I've used up all of that money and have a Ford Ranger I don't want. BTW, they need to take the engineering license away from the Ford person who designed the back of the Supercab -- impossible to access.

This is a headache all the way around for some of us. Because of the way the buyback program is designed and being implemented, some people are faring better than others, but most are forgetting, I suspect, to factor in their own time expended.

I challenge any automobile manufacturer to come up with an affordable (no bells and whistles) four wheel drive long bed truck with good MPG. Just a truck. Do it. I suspect you'll have a lot of takers. Not all of us live in a city with mass transit, or want a status symbol. Just a reliable truck that will last.
    The 2 cents helps! But let's say the 1999 tacoma I'm looking at to buy passes inspection. No holes. And I buy it. Is it logical to assume it won't develop problems for awhile and maybe never? Wouldn't the rust perforation have shown up by now (truck is in the chicago area)? And if it rusts out later am I covered under the extended warranty, as a second owner and purchased after the letters were sent out? I wouldn't qualify for the buy-back, at least the full amount. Is this correct?
    It's was your Toyota dealer not Toyota. When I called for my insepction they said they would have a rental truck for me. When i got there and it failed they said all the rentals were gone. They offered me a ride home, I told the service manager "I'm getting a 30 day loaner". Then he pulled a 2004 Trail Blazer with 17k miles off the used car lot. Next he said he called my Insurance Co. & they would not cover the car. So in his office I called the underwriter handed him the phone, I was covered. If you read my first post I said I had a problem wtih him.
    Dealers don't want to deal with it. The first one I called said they did not know what I was talking about. Funny thing that dealer gave me the best price on my new one.
    Your right....anyone not getting a loaner is because of the dealer. My Taco was a 2 x 4. They brought out a Tundra 4 x4 for me to have as a loaner as they thought the Taco belonged to my hubby. I had a fit and said there was no way I could get in and out of that truck. The rental part of the dealer went out of their way to find me a Toyota I could fit into (32" inseam) and that was why I had the Taco. I ended up with a Scion XB. My dealer had me trying out all their rentals before they bought out the Scion and your insurance is not even involved. You have to keep insurance on your Taco until you hand in the title. And they might give you the plates sooner then the check like they did me as there were so many Tacos coming in they were taking off plates to send them out. But the only thing I had to do was keep insurance and keep the plates until they showed up with my check. I didn't even have to call my insurance. I live in the country too. And hubby drives an 18 wheeler over the road. He missed a few runs while I went used car shopping and then decided to buy a car. It was aggravation on our part too. And stress. But now its done with and I think everyone of us goes thru this aggravation. I was driving my hubby crazy. He told me it was like I was losing a child. Heck... I had all original parts in that Taco I took such good care of it. I was positive it wouldn't have a hole and was wrong.

As for buying a 1999 Taco, it too is going to have the 15 yr corrossion warranty on it. And read about the one guy who passed inspection and then 2 months later had holes. Any truck being bought after March is not going to qualify for 150% buyback if it developes holes in the next year or so. Toyota already said any of the affected years will not be qualified. And dealers are not supposed to sell them and if you buy privately they are going to pro-rate any money if a hole crops up. The x-owner is going to get some of the money.
    Lady former Taco. owner here in S. Ontario. Re: rental car after Taco. flunked inspection. Rental co. (Enterprise) put me into a 2009 Corolla after I told them that I was considering buying a Corolla to replace my Taco. I called my insurance co. (State Farm) and they called "head office"). Said my insurance would cover me for the 30 days. Dealership took my Taco. away with the plates still on. Dealership seemed to be really "talking up-selling up???) the 2009 Corollas over the 2008 Corollas. Purchased 2009 Corolla as I knew I would come close to breaking even on deal. I did, however, get undercoating put on as new Corollas don't have it. Sure hope it holds up better than Taco. undercoating!! 6 months of road salt here, then 6 months of road construction. Welcome to Canada!! Salesman at dealership helped to track down my Taco. and removed plates with sticker. As my birthday is February I can get some money back. I wondered if rental co. and nearby Toyota put their heads together to help sell their Toyota vehicles by putting rental drivers such as myself into Toyota vehicles so that we can "test drive" them for 30 days. Nevertheless, this is my third Corolla. I was second owner of the Taco. I believe first owner is not involved in any way with the $19,000 Canadian I will receive for Taco. My cheque is still "in the mail". Will update again when the money comes through.
    From what I see of this program, you can buy that truck and it could pass. You are then required to get another inspection every 12 months. Next summer, they hit it with the hammer and a tennis-ball-size hole appears. Now you're in the same situation you might have been this year... confiscated truck and you're shopping again.

I say look for a truck that won't give you this potential headache.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Couldn't agree more. Buying a Tacoma at this time, if you can find one is just asking for trouble. As 2nd owner of my former Taco. I put on 26,000 kms. (miles=17,000 miles ??) in five years. had underside oiled last summer. Not one spot of rust on paint job. No accidents, not a scratch on it. However inspection guys created one small hole in frame by hammering hard on it. No doubt frame was weak there and it was only a matter of time until more perforations appeared. Just stay away from Tacomas. If I had read this site and had a 2001 and newer Taco. I would sell it soon before any new recall comes on them re: defective undercoating. Does anybody know when and if this undercoating problem was corrected at the plant where these Tacomas are built? Where are they built?