Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• missunderstoodmissunderstood Member Posts: 5
    hi, oh no....as of right now we haven't even spoken about payment. But Toyota Corp was nice enough to tell me not to expect 150%

they are so nice.....really.........NOT!!!
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    You have the right to keep your truck, but why would you?
    My '01 (4x4 4cyl. SR5 w/ auto) had 39,000 miles, and I received $15,336 + $1,000 toward a new Toyota. Process took seven weeks.
  • bigbebigbe Member Posts: 17
    What level do the use in kbb Wholesale? My truck is mint and loaded but I have 235000 miles on it I dont think I will get very much
  • releaserelease Member Posts: 8
    for the older trucks they are using kbb "retail" and "excellent condition" regardless of the condition of the vehicle. I would assume they ae doing the same for the 2001's but only giving 100% not 150%. Have any 02's been failing?
  • bigbebigbe Member Posts: 17
    I haven't seen any yet but it is a matter of time as the 2002 frames will start failing
  • schukanuosladyschukanuoslady Member Posts: 118
    I had my truck taken on May 31. This was a month after it passed NY inspection (don't reccommend to anyone taking it to a Midas in NY) and if failed at Toyota. I received my check on June 26 along with a $1000/$500 coupon towards a new truck or used/new anything toyota. Didn't do it. Went and bought a hyundai Elantra as it was bigger than the civic and a better price.

So, I notice on carfax today that my truck as of 8/21/2008 was retitled back to the manufacturer and listed as junk/salvage title issued. I looked this up and it states that means the vehicle is unsafe to be on the road and gets that kind of title if it will have to have more than 75% of it fixed to be road worthy.

I thought for sure they would strip what they could as Midas put in a brand new exhaust manifold for me the month before they took it and I was pretty pissed over that and I am still pissed at Midas for passing the frame when he knew there was a problem. and to boot, for the first time since the Midas by me did my inspections, this year HE DID NOT report it to carfax. Wonder why?

I told hubby he ripped me off for one last repair job figuring money in his pocket. I think thats kind of lousy and want to report him to the Better Business Bureau as he knew about the frames. I heard all repair/inspection stations in NY were told in March to send the people to Toyota when presenting for inspection for NY after March 17, 2008. And he didn't. He took my money, got me for 3 new belts and a new exhaust manifold and never even reported he inspected it on carfax. What a bummer he is. Hubby won't let me report him as he still uses him for his 1997 Nissan Pathfinder. And doesn't want me causing trouble that he won't do the things he needs done.

BTW...I did get $1000 more than what the KBB was on my truck, but I think it was because last Oct we did frame work and painted the frame after the work. Plus the whole truck was repainted.

My husband is very annoyed we didn't get a letter in March when letters started going out. I got mine May 20, 2008.

I will never buy from Toyota again. And they gave me lousy service too and were not very nice about having to take in our truck. They are the only dealership around here and they were loading those Tacos and getting rid of them before the checks were even issued. I had to get my plates from them before my check even came. Well, I am very happy with my Hyundai Elantra. Its nice to be able to have extra (cruise controls, power items...etc) And I would never have been able to afford another Toyota used or new. They hiked up the prices by us as soon as trucks started to come in knowing that the people with trucks would need a vehicle. Totally unfair. I think the dealer by me took advantage of the fact people might use the extra money certificate Toyota gave with the checks. They even had the nerve to call me and ask me what kind of vehicle I wanted them to look for for me and I said no thank you.
  • toyotafanjotoyotafanjo Member Posts: 2
    I have owned and loved my '96 Tacoma since '99. When I 1st got the recall notice I just put it away. It wasn't until a couple weeks ago my Toyota mechanic friend called me and said it would be a good idea for me to get it checked. He remembered how bad rust was an issue for me on the truck.
    Took my truck to my dealer last Tuesday, proceeded to watch them take a hammer to the frame (I literally had to walk away) and the service manager came out and gave me a "thumbs down" sign. Words can NOT express how upset I was. I am one of those anal Tacoma owners, take the best care of the truck, have ALL the extra bells and whistles, it is disgusting clean all the time, my truck has hauled my horses and I to several horse shows over the past 8 years, it has taken care of me in several snow storms, it has let me "play" with it in the mud, it has ALWAYS started for me and the thought of letting it go is honestly breaking my heart.
    The service manager wanted me to leave my truck there that day but I told him I wanted to take it home. I signed a waiver that I took the truck and now have been checking out new Tacomas and know exactly the truck I want. Now its just a matter of waiting on someone from Toyota to call me to make the arrangements to buy back my truck. My understanding is I will get 150% of KBB at excellent condition (which btw it IS in excellent condition) plus another 1k cause I am buying another Toyota. I figure close to 13k.
    This whole thing sucks for me because of all the extras I have put into my truck over the years, a 500.00 hard tondeau cover, the BFG All Terrian T/As dont even have 2k miles on them, I just had a brand new rear bumper put on less than 6 months ago because my old one was rusted so badly (shock!) it looked like crap. My trailer hitch, the tinted windows, the bug shield, the taillight covers, the 400.00 CD player - all things that will have to be left with the truck when we part. To top it off my truck only has 130k miles on it, a pup in Toyota terms.
    Im upset because I adore my truck-Im upset because I havent had a car payment since '03, Im upset because I wanted to have my truck until it hit 200k.
    There was NO doubt in my mind I would get another Tacoma, NONE. Taking a couple for a test drive definitely sealed that deal-wow! :)
    But I am not upset at Toyota by any means. I can't see ANY American car company paying their customers 150% KBB for one of their cars/trucks if they were recalled. I am thankful Toyota being so generous to us, and I am still a tried and true Toyota fan.
    I also own a '94 Geo Prizm which is a Corolla engine, it runs like a champ, I love that car! :D
  • schukanuosladyschukanuoslady Member Posts: 118
    hey.. another bumper ruster!!!!!!!!! My bumper was totally rusted out in 2003 and I reported it to Toyota and sent them pictures. Didn't ever hear back from them. I didn't have a payment either since 2002. I have a payment now, but not that big as I put a lot down on my Elantra.

Now, I am not saying all car dealers are bad. I just wonder why it took Toyota so bad to do this recall. After I found this website, I noticed people complaining a year ago.

Just for the record. The Hyundai Elantra I have is a "beta" engine PZEV. And was first tried out in CA last year and now this year hit the East Coast in some states.

And not knocking Toyotat for this safety issue, but in July of this year when it was the hottest, the fuel pumps starting going bad in the 2008 Elantras. My hubby bought one too and his Elantra stopped in the middle of the road doing 60 miles an hour. I filed a safety report, joined the Hyundai Elantra forum and all of a sudden people were writing in the same thing was happening.

Well, needless to say in TWO months Hyundai already put out a recall on all Elantras from November 2007 - June 2008. Apparently ethanol causes a problem with the fuel pump as it is a Beta.

Now, its not American, but darn.... Toyota took a yr for a safety recall from what I read here. I get my fuel pump changed this week. My didn't do what hubby's did.

Now I am glad I didn't look at cars at Toyota. It looks like Toyota better hop to it with the serious problems. There was no excuse to let a yr go by before they did a recall on this and I bet they knew before a yr ago too. That is why I got pissed so much.

Like you I took excellant care of my truck. And I got totally upset when they told me it failed inspection and the rude girl handling the issue had the nerve to tell me why get upset. Its only a truck and you can replace it. I replied to her...just a truck..not to me. I busted my butt as a single mom to make those truck payments on it and I never let anything go on it. I too had extras put on.

Toyota might be ok for some to go back to, but just keep in mind there is a safety issue now with the new trucks accelerating and causing accidents. I read where one guy was headed to the dealership to have his problem fixed and crashed from the engine accelerating on the way there. I wouldn't feel safe in a new truck now after reading that.
  • toyotafanjotoyotafanjo Member Posts: 2
    Didnt I read one of your earlier posts that you live in NY? Upstate or the "real" NY? The only reason I ask is because Im from Flushing Queens and in the 21 years I lived there I dont recall ANY salesperson ANY where being nice. Thats not a knock by any means, I am still a native NYer and have that same attitude which honestly scares people here in Ohio! :)

I owned an '88 Excel (what a piece of crap that car was) a '93 Hyundai Scoupe and that's what I traded in on my truck. I wouldn't touch another Hyundai for personal reasons (they eat dogs) and mechanical issues (hubby owns a Kia Optima which is the mirror of the Hyundai Sonata) and what a piece of crap that thing is.
    Although nothing as bad as a transmission dieing at 47k miles on his Ford Ranger several years ago and Ford saying "too bad so sad" .... nice!

My hubby and I took my Tacoma to the barn last night and every time I hit a bump he was holding his breath. I planned on driving it to work and back until Toyota got with me with a drop off/get my check date but have had a couple people advising me not to do that. I just didnt have the heart to leave my truck at the dealer last week :sick:
    Ive already taken tons of pictures of it...it just seems such a waste to crush it up into a little box.
    I talked to one of my Tacoma neighbors yesterday, it is quite obvious that he never washes his truck (the paint is completely ozydized (sp?) he told me his truck passed the test but he was upset about it. He said the dealer (same one as mine) told him 50% of the trucks are failing. He went on to say that he loves his truck, admitted the paint looks like Hell but loves his truck.
    I can so relate!
    I cant help thinking that the outcome of the test will depend on where you live. Obviously being in Ohio we get tons of snow, tons of salt, tons of rain. I am sure that has something to do with my frame's demise, maybe even all the times I washed that truck. I would like to hear from some Californians to see if they are having as many recalled as some states are.
    In as excited as am I about getting a new truck, the sadness I feel having to say bye to my big baby breaks my heart. I literally almost cried yesterday driving it again.
    Thank God I didnt use it to haul my horses to any shows this season, instead hauling with a friend and splitting gas. Phew.
    I'd hate to think that Id look in the rearview to see my frame attached to my trailer moving down the highway by itself! Wouldnt that suck?

As for all the Toyota bashing---
    I know as for me, if I always see tons of 1990's Toyotas (even some T-100s) running down the road. I see at least 5-1 older Toyotas compared to American made trucks.
    LOVE my Tacoma, will love my new Tacoma and will stand by Toyota. Period.
  • daleyplanitdaleyplanit Member Posts: 27
    This complaint is in regards to a defective frame on my 2001 Toyota Tacoma pick-up that was purchased used in February of 2007 with 102,000 miles. A NYS inspection was performed upon purchase.

The truck now has 130k. September 6th, 2008, while installing new struts at a local tire and brake shop, the tech noticed serious frame rot on the back passenger side of my truck. The shop manager informed me of a voluntary Toyota buy-back for 1999-2000 models, Warranty Policy Bulletin POL08-03, dated 3/7/08. I contacted Toyota and had the truck immediately inspected by Lia Toyota Service of Colonie NY. I was informed the frame was seriously rotted, and the truck no longer safe to drive.

I was told the following to rectify the situation:
    1. 2001 models are not "usually covered" in the recall.
    2. If covered, I would not get a loaner car
    3. If covered, I would not receive the 150% value as is standard for 1995-2001 models
    4. The dealership could not 'go to bat for me' to assist me with dealing with Toyota for a recall request;
    5. I had to call 1-800-Go-Toyota for more information

This is a SLAP IN THE FACE. Why should the 2001 models be excluded from the warrantee and recall coverage afforded by the 1995-2001 models? My truck is NEWER - yet it has THE SAME FRAME ROT. The fact that the dealer refused to assist me with this process is additionally infuriating.

I don't know if Toyota will pay me 100% of the value of my truck for March of 2008 or August of 2008. The blue book value of my truck has dropped SIGNIFICANTLY since the recall was issued. Toyota’s customer care center representatives keep promising me that my claim will be handled “the next business day,” though Toyota has yet to contact me via the case manager they should have already assigned me. My situation is not unique. A simple Google search, and a check of complaints on the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration home page has revealed this problem is affecting owners of post 2000 model year Tacomas

What will happen to drivers when the frames of 2001 and newer Toyota Tacomas star to fail? A broken frame could result in a serious accident as the frame is the most integral component holding the vehicle together. 2001 and later year Toyota Tacoma owners were never sent notice of the manufacturer’s defect causing frame failures – therefore most of these owners are driving around with potentially dangerous vehicles. If an owner of a 2001 or newer Tacoma were to sell a truck with a rusted frame, then the frame failed, would the previous owner be liable for not informing the new owner of the defect?

Defective frames are not exclusive to the 1995-2000 model year Tacomas - so why is Toyota excluding newer models? This is dangerous, perhaps even criminally negligent. Toyota should be recalling Tacoma trucks manufactured after 2000 that are experiencing massive frame rust - without doing so the company is endangering the lives of Tacoma owners.

I've contaced the NHTSA and my local paper. Next on my list is the NYS attorney generals office, DMV, insurance institute, and owners selling these dangerous trucks.

I've also set up a resource for people to share thoughts and experiences in real-time
    http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33853493734

Check it out if you've had problems, can offer advice on the buy-back, or just for general info about this frame issue.

I paid $12,000 for my truck in February of 2007 and now it is worthless. Thanks, Toyota. :(
    Check out this

http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33853493734

i started it to get on track for fighting back
  • missunderstoodmissunderstood Member Posts: 5
    Wow!!! I like your ideas!!! I forgot about my facebook page but did start a blog.
    I totally agree. The rotting frame is Toyotas problem that has turned into ours.
    Not giving us what they are giving other buyers is absolute crap!!! Our vehicles are (were) worth more and were in better condition then most!! Plus just offering KBB doesnt cover our registration fees, sales tax, up keep.
    I called Toyota in March when my mechanic first noticed the problem, but Toyotas mechaninc said, right now its not broken so we aren't fixing it!!!!
    So i proceed w/ 4 new tires and spring work to pass hte inspection just to turn around 5 months later to lose my truck, lose out on the $1500 in cash for the tires and spring.....then to top it off...they give me a camry renter. I mean its a great car....but when it comes to moving weekend, its a lot easier to move in a truck then a car!!! Right now I am totally disgusted w/ Toyota. We have been an advocate and consumer of Toyota vehicles for over 10 years now.....this is what we get...!!!! Pissed.!!!

I like your ideas....and will follow with the same letters to Maine AG and such.
    I will also try to keep up on your facebook and expand it to mine as well.
    My blog is : http://www.carspace.com/blogs/rottedtaco/

Toyota needs to step up!
    The story made TV headlines

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/15879699/detail.html
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/15877183/detail.html

And it was also noted by the New York Times
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/toyota-offers-to-buy-back-rusty-tacom- - as/

This problem is not limited to the 1995-2000 model years - many owners of 2001 and later Tacoma's are finding their frames failing, too. If you plan to buy or sell a 1995-2004 Tacma - GET IN INSPECTED IMMEDIATELY by your local Toyota delership (Free). If you have a post 2000 Tacoma, and Toyota gives you the "call 1-800-Go-Toyota brush-off, contact your state attorney general's office, the NHTSA, and the consumer protection board for your state.

If your having trouble figuring out who to write, or how, email me (tacomarecall@gmail.com) i'd be happy to send you template letters to al lthe agencies i've contacted including

- My State Attorney General's Office
    - Consumer Protection Board
    - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    - New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
    - Ebay, Autotrader, and Cars.com (These trucks should not be sold without being inpsected)
    - The Securities and Exchange Commision - it's a tough angle, but as a stockholder I'm arguing that Toyota is taking an unreasonable risk by allowing these trucks to be on the road and not warning drivers. This risk opens leaves the company open to a class-action suit and therefor could devalue my stock. Toyota is being carelessly negligent (I'll send a copy of that letter to Toyota of course :)
    - The State Garage and Repair Shop Association
    - My local Newspapers and TV stations
    - My insurance Company and the Insurance Institute of America.

If you got tips or advice I'd love to hear from you.
  • ab008ab008 Member Posts: 1
    i recently heard about a few people who have successfully had their truck bought back even though they had a reconstructed/salvage title. from what i heard there was a lot of time spent on the phone and certain paperwork was needed. has anyone else heard of this or konw anything about it???
  • stacie2stacie2 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all the great info! I did just speak to Toyota Customer Service @ 1-800-331-4331 (after speaking to the local dealership) about having my 2003 looked at and they said that the fee would be my responsibility becasue that year is not covered - at least I did get a case number. Any suggestions as to my next step?

I also have a 1993 that is in very good shape except for the frame! Any possibility of having that looked at?

Thanks!
    Boy do I have advice!

Toyota should be doing this for free. They looked at mine for free - and this could be a courtesy safety check as far as what they want to call it.

in the event the frame fails, toyota will pull your inspection, you should not be driving in this case but being that it's a 2003 they wont let you keep the car on the lot, or get a loaner while the company drags its feet.

you'll have to call 1-800-go-toyota to start the process of the buyback. This is a NIGHTMARE.

I've been threatened by customer care that if I don't accept their low offer for my truck that they will take the offer off the table. They told me i had to say "yes" or "no" right there on the phone and they would not put it in writing.

here are the three best places to contact

the federal trade commission
    your state attorney general
    your state's consumer protection board

I wrote my newspaper, 60 minutes, my assembly and congress reps on the state and federal level, and posted my torubles and letters on a website to help others (facebook group- "toyota frame defects")

if you need ANYTHING don't hesitiate to call me - but do yourself a favor, contact those folks above. Toyota told me it woiuld be 30 days before they made me an offer and with one letter from my state consumer protection board it was a week - now they tell me a check could be as long as 7 weeks coming if and when i accept.

next step is my county DA. I don't think it's right Toyota is blackmailing me into accepting a lowball offer and these trucks should not be on the road
  • tcincytcincy Member Posts: 28
    I just completed sale of my 1999 Tacoma with 141,000 mi. and am satisfied.

However, I have tips for Taco owners who've not yet had an inspection done and are wary. I understand. I read mixed experiences of Taco owners who went through the program, and entered the process wary of whether it was legit and of pitfalls.

# 1 - YOU DON'T NEED THE NOTICE SENT TO REGISTERED OWNERS.
    When I received the notice last Spring I figured it was just another "come-on" and threw it away. When I heard the program was legit, I called local Toyota Service facility. They said you don't need it and you don't have to be original owner.
    Just schedule a "frame rust inspection" appointment.

# 2 - YOU DON'T HAVE TO LEAVE YOUR TACO IF IT QUALIFIES.
    Service Mgr. called me stating my truck qualified, but he said I could not have the truck back since it was a "safety issue", After I went ballistic I called the Area
    Service Mgr., HE stated the first guy was wrong. He said "You can keep driving it and bring it in when you get your check.....or you just drive away and be on your merry way and not even take part in the program. It's your call. Do what you want".

# 3 - COMPUTE YOUR VEHICLE VALUE ON "KELLEY BLUE BOOK" WEBSITE.
    Area Service Mgr. sent paperwork to ISG - a firm Toyota has retained to do background histories on vehicles and streamline payments. 2 - 1/2 wks. later ISG rep called me with an offer - a generous offer - but low. I had checked Kelley Blue Book average retail "excellent" on my year, miles and options, and knew exactly what it was worth - then multiplied that figure by 1.5, so I knew what to expect.
    I asked rep to read my options and found Service Mgr. had left off power steering. Rep adjusted the offer upward. Note: EVERY TACOMA IS CONSIDERED TO BE'
    "EXCELLENT" CONDITION regardless of actual condition.

4 - ENSURE DEALER HAS A LOANER WHEN YOU TURN IN VEHICLE.
    ISG has no control over the dealer loaner - That is dealer's responsibility.
    When ISG rep and I chose a date for turning in Taco and payment made to me, I called the dealer but there were no loaners available that date. We settled on a different date and I asked dealer to reserve loaner for me.

Last....when the exchange of vehicle and payment take place, the ISG rep gives you a certificate with your old VIN/SER on it. You have 60 days to make your best deal at a Toyota dealer - then present the certificate to the dealer who fills out his information. Toyota will give back $ 2,000 on purchase of a new Tundra, $ 1,000 on purchase of a new Tacoma, or $ 500 on any other purchase.

My buyback took a little over 5 weeks:

Inspection took place Aug. 10.
    ISG Rep called me Aug. 25.
    I recieved written offer Sept. 3.
    ISG called me Sept. 13.
    We met Sept. 18 for dropoff/payment.
    I hope this helps.
  • rrosellrrosell Member Posts: 17
    MSRP is $32,575.00 with all packages and price out the door is $28,700.00 no tax title, registration or insurance. I believe this is below cost, unless I am missing some holdback and rebate or incentive. :surprise:
  • ohblueohblue Member Posts: 39
    I've had my 95 Tacoma 4X4 examined this summer and it passed, but I change my own oil and I see where it is "flaking," a LOT. I guess I have a year or two more before the warranty on the frame expires, but it only has 132K on it. My wife and I love having it to haul and use during the snowy season. The way we use it, we could have it another 5 years, easy. My fear is as it gets older, it is bound to get serious (and then we'll be out of luck). Has anyone taken it to numerous dealers and had luck after being turned down initially? I hate to think about getting rid of it (we've had NO problems w/ it), but I'd rather have something to show for it and not take a chance of loss...financial or otherwise.
  • truckdriver2truckdriver2 Member Posts: 3
    I too have a salvage title. If you hear anything on how to proceed. Please share this information.
  • rcoolercoole Member Posts: 10
    My 2000 passed the inspection in May at a Toyota dealership that I had never been to. The reason I took it there was because they had an opening quicker than my regular dealership. In July I took it to my regular dealership and they found a hole in the frame while they were doing an oil change and lube. The hole was about an inch in front of the front rear leaf spring hanger. It was only about a half inch in diameter. I would have considered it a drain hole for the frame if I had looked at it. Look close at all suspected openings in the frame especially near welds. My truck had 39,500 miles on it and the frame was flaking like crazy. Better it fail now!!
  • ohblueohblue Member Posts: 39
    Wow...thanks. Maybe I'll take it to another dealer before the winter/salt starts eating at it some more.
  • johnny66johnny66 Member Posts: 11
    I know that the buy back on the trucks is only for 1995-2000. I have also seen the vin #s covered. I have a 2001 Tacoma that has a section of the frame on the passenger side near the leaf springs, that is rusted completely through for approximately 3'. This section of the box frame is about to fall off. Does anyone have any ideas? We have had the truck inspected and the dealership said it is the worst they have seen, but of course it isn't covered by the program. We have a case started with Toyota but would like some other avenues to explore. I will post a picture a little later. This is my girlfriend's and she has only made 4 payments on it. This only reinforces the reason i drive a Chevy and always will. The bottom of the Toyota looks like it is 30 years old. From Illinois
    Illonios-

I am having the same problem. The dealer failed my truck, and i had to fight tooth an nail to get money (note NOT nearly what my trucks was worth). PLEASE do youself a favor and contact the following

southland cali BBB
    your state attorney general
    your state consumer protection board

the AT and CB will get you into a mediation program if you ask.

if they drag their feet contact your state and federal senate and representatives.

it may take a day of letters, but unless you twist their arms toyota won;t do anything.

I've had to fight every step of the way, but the alternative was a unsafe truck i cound not drive or sell. At least i got some money (they say they will give me thousands under KBB)

feel free to email me for help, i'm more than happy to.
    -Martin
    Bigbe and others,

Bad news Toyota is NOT giving 100% of KBB value for 2001 and newer trucks. Mine is a 2001 and when toyota proposed a buyback i cited the higher KBB value, even faxed it to them. They didn't care me KBB value was thousands higher when the announced the problem, nor that the KBB value i found was higher. Toyota offered me THOUSANDS less than the actual KBB value. They did not come look at my truck, refused to consider the long list of options on my truck, and have beena pain in the @$$ the whole way.

Seller beware - you will NOT get close to the KBB vlaue on your 2001 or newer truck.
    Consider this.

your truck is worth $10,000 in february of 2008.

in march toyota announces the buyback.

resale value drops to $6,000 because no one wants to buy a dangerous truck

toyota buys back your truck at 150% of $6,000. you get $9,000.

Why are you celebrating? Toyota got your truck for $1,000 LESS than it SHOULD be worth.

Consier the hasle of the operation and poor customer service, too. You're getting ripped off. Toyota isn't being generous, they are prorating the value and buying you off.
  • johnny66johnny66 Member Posts: 11
    Thank you for the information.
    Johnny66: Toyota extended the frame rust warranty for 15 (fifteen) years for any 1995-2000 Tacomas so that is still good for another year even on 1995 owners who don't have enough rust yet! In your case, I would be livid!! Make sure you put ALL of your contacts in WRITING. Don't call anymore. Have your girlfriend sign letters, in writing, to the dealer / service department that inspected her truck and said it was the worst they'd ever seen, letter to area service mgr.; letter to Toyota USA, letter to NTSB, everyone - no more phone calls - put it in writing and here is the most important part: make it a SAFETY ISSUE. Even if they won't "buy back" the truck as lthey are for 95-00 owners, they should be making some type of offer. I would make the "complaint" case you are filing a "safety" issue. Recalls are made for safety isues. This is what I was told some time ago on a separate issue by a car manufacturer. Stress that the owner's safety and that of occupants and possibly bystanders are at stake. Emphasize the dealer's observation. Get that in writing from the service guys who said that, if you can. At least you are on record in case anything occurs while you or your girlfriend are driving it. Maybe they will extend the rust buyback to 01's and later. They had to recieve a certain number of complaints on 95-00 or they wouldn't have started our program. At the very least you and your girlfriend want Toyota to address YOUR situation, either with some type of offer, repair, or recall. Good Luck
    With respect to daleyplanet's observation Toyota is ripping off Taco owners by offering more than "depressed" pricing, I have to disagree. I understand what he is saying - but I have no idea if the Kelly Blue Book on my Tacoma was more in Spring, 2007 than Spring, 2008. All I know is I got a deal, and was NOT even thinking about getting rid of my '99 Taco for another 3-4 years - it was a dependable workhorse.
    I leased my '99 Taco in January 1999, new, with ps,pb, a/c, bed liner, and stereo - that's it. I then bought it from Toyota when lease was up. With lease, interest, then paying cash to buy it, I had a total of $ 14,000 in it.

I had 141,000 miles on it when I contacted a dealer for rust inspection.
    Interior was spotless and I kept it maintained, I had little interest in selling it and was skeptical. Kelley Blue Book in July, '08 was $ 3,200.00 in average condition.
    That was low for me because it was worth WAY more to me to keep it and drive it 4-5 more years.

Then I saw they were offered 1.5 excellent condition.
    Excellent condition was $ 5,870.00. That was about what I thought it was worth to me, but still was reluctant. buy 1.5 X that amount was $ 8,900.00. When the ISG rep verified that is what they would pay me...I thought ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    I absolutely had not any thought about selling the truck and getting anything else.
    Esp. in late summer 2008's economy I was nowhere ready to buy anything new.
    But $ 8,900.00 for a 10 yr. old truck with 141,000 miles on it.

PLUS a $1,000 certificate good on top of any deal I made for a new Tacoma - that is $ 9,900.00 - nearly $ 10,000.00 for a truck worth between
    $ 3,200 - $ 6,000.00!!!

I had no prior intention of getting anything else but I couldn't pass up this opportunity.
  • david311david311 Member Posts: 6
    Hey folks. I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma. That has been diagnosed with the Frame rot. My question is, I bought the Truck in May. Apparently the buy back started in March, so I bought it after the buy back was already in effect......Will I have any problems with the buy back then? I know they insisted on me getting a Bill of Sale from the person that I bought the truck off of! Any information would help. Just would like a heads up on how it will go....Thanks. Dave
    Dave, I have seen on here and heard that they will not honor the 1.5 Kelley Blue book Excellent condition buyback for any Tacomas purchased after they announced the program. I have heard they will buy back the Taco for the same amount you paid for it. They apparently didn't want people buying them up and "flipping" them over for the 1.5 KBB program, but they will pay the money back you paid provided the frame rust qualifies under the program.
    Honestly ...I like my Taco.....and if they don't honor the 1.5 buy back...I think I will ask them to replace my frame....after all there is a warranty on it....See what they have to say about that? When I asked the previous owner if they had received the letter about the program in the mail....they said no. Or they would have gotten the money for it. Maybe Toyota's way of saving some money on the buy back?
    Has anybody else heard of this?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Replacing the frame is out of the question... it would require complete disassembly of the truck. That's like asking a doctor to replace your skeleton.

kcram - Pickups Host
    My thoughts exactly....Sounds like the 1.5xKBB is the best bet. Looks to me from what i've read per Toyota's Warranty Policy Bulletin ( POL08-03 ) The warranty is nor time sensitive nor pursuant the original or post bulletin owner. I think Toyota will honor there warranty regardless. I think they're trying to pursuade people just buying them for the sole purpose of flipping and making cash. I'm sure if it's a problem I could show them I bought it in May. And brought it to the dealer in October.....not for the Frame inspection.....but for a check engine light....( Toyota Service took it upon themselves to check the frame ) Also taking into consideration since May I put $750 worth of rubber on the truck, A brand new Toneau Cover. And had the cooling system flushed.....Not something you do when your just turning the truck in to make a buck!
    First - for those intending to write those safety complaints (GREAT advice) here is a list of contacts. Because I live in NY my list is based on NY agencies, but every state has them.

Contacts

Division of Economic Justice
    Consumer Frauds and Protection Bureau
    State of New York Office of Attorney General Andrew Cuomo
    The Capital
    Albany, NY 12224-0341

Director of Constituent Services
    New York State Senator Neil Breslin
    Capitol Building, Room 414
    Albany, NY 12247

NYS Consumer Protection Board
    Albany Office
    New York State Consumer Protection Board
    5 Empire State Plaza, Suite 2101
    Albany, New York 12223

United States Federal Trade Commission
    Federal Trade Commission
    Consumer Response Center
    600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20580

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Office of Defects Investigation
    1200 New Jersey Avenue SE West Building
    Washington, DC 20590

Better Business Bureau of the Southland
    315 N. La Cadena
    Colton CA 92324-2927
    60 Minutes
    524 West 57th St.
    New York, NY 10019

The Advocate
    Times Union Newsroom
    PO Box 15000
    Albany, NY 12212
    advocate@timesunion.com.
    (518) 454-5700

US Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
    476 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    Attention: Constituent Services

US Senator Charles Schumer
    757 Third Avenue, Suite 17-02
    New York, NY 10017

State Assembly Representative John McEneny
    LOB 648
    Albany, NY 12248
    518-455-4178

NYS DMV Traffic Safety
    Division of Vehicle Safety Services
    Department of Motor Vehicles
    P.O. Box 2700-ESP, Albany, NY 12220-0700

Office of the District Attorney
    Albany County Judicial Building
    6 Lodge Street
    Albany, NY 12207
    Telephone: (518) 487-5460
    Fax: (518) 487-5093

WNYT
    P.O. Box 403,
    Albany, NY 12204

Second - it is true Toyota is not buying back trucks bought after the recall because of flipping. I've heard many accounts of it on forums I subscribe to. The 150% deal is also, in many cases, sadly off the table.

In reuttal - the 150% value isn's all it's cracked up to be - Toyota isn't using KBB value. Again, by truck was worth $14k in february (when I was looking for a doublecab). It was worth $12 in August. Now Toyota is offering me $10 without even looking at it. I just spent $600 in new shocks and brakes. It has a long list of factory options. Toyota tells me they won't give me the $1000 towards a new car. I cannot drive my truck - it will take Toyota 7 weeks to process my check. This is not an annomaly. If your facing a buy-back prepare for a long fight. For another author cited recent repairs and new tires - toyota will no comp you for this like a buyer in the private market would. Month by month Toyota has been cutting buyback offers, scaling back who is included in the buyback, and in some cases, making exceptions. Buybacks (cite the policy bulletin) are not overseen by the NHTSA admin like recalls. Toyota is not legally bound by any means. I agree it's good of them to do this - but all you need to do is watch or read fight club to see the nefariousness of their hidden agenda.

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one. "

Before long there won't be any 1995-2000 Tacomas on the road in rust-belt states. That will be a good thing - I don't want to share the road with them. What will happen to the 2001 and newer series II trucks when they start failing on the road? I don't know - but I won't be driving one.
  • theiglutheiglu Member Posts: 10
    Hello all,

I live in New England. With 137k on my 2001, I have rust holes in the frame in the usual places. I've read all 50 pages of this issue here and am not in a good mood.

Toyota of Keene, when asked, told me there was no rust coverage at all for my truck.

I called into Toyota NA and got a case number. I'm supposed to schedule an inspection. Problem being, I calculated out the 100% KBB value of the truck. It is NOTHING compared to what it was before the buyback was implemented. I still owe money on the truck and can't afford to get into a new loan on a vehicle. Especially without a rental being provided, I can't risk them taking my truck away when I take it in.

I was considering just taking it off the road, not driving it and leaving it in the yard until Toyota extends the warranty to the '01 and '02 model years that OBVIOUSLY have the same issue.

Thoughts?
    I hear all of you guy's....I hope I don't have all the problems with the buy-back some are talking about. Some people on here had some good luck with Toyota on this. I will keep you informed on how it goes. I can see why Toyota is trying to keep the flipping down...But what's the difference if Tom, Dick, or Harry brings it in. They implemented a buy-back, and want the trucks off the road. Not only that. Toyota is still mailing out the 15 year extended warranty's to people. In my truck's case the previous owner never received it. And I haven't gotten it. So where is that!
  • dpalmerinidpalmerini Member Posts: 1
    Guys I need your input. Read a bunch of posts re. the tacoma program.
    So I bought one about a month ago and brought it to my regular dealer for some service (OLF) tires, and the radio be repaired. They told me about the customer program and how the truck "failed" the inspection and that I would be contacted by someone with further details. So yesterday someone from the corporate office called requesting a bill of sale. copy of title etc. I respectfully asked "What for?" as the registration card from the truck that the dealer had already copied obviously showed the truck registered to me. The rep from corp. said that she was making sure that I wasn't "taking advantage" of the previous owner. I'm wondering. How am I taking advantage of him when I paid what he agreed to when he sold it to me. Now she says that she needs to research my info when she gets it and will get back to me. "get back to me to tell me what?" She can't tell me till she sees the records. My question is this: Has anyone bought one of these things after March 2007 and had the "failed" scenario? And if so, what happened? What is the difference who owns the vehicle if its a blanket recall? I actually own 2 1997 tacomas since 1999 and never received a single notification about those trucks from anyone if I sold them would I be getting taken advantage of?
    The whole thing is weird but now they have my truck. I have to return the rental friday. and They won't give me any answers. Plus I find that the "failure" is recorded by Toyota so now if I go to sell my truck its got a black flag sitting on record. Who's gonna buy a truck with a confirmed rusted frame?
    I feel like I'm getting messed with but since they won't even tell me what it is they are in need of researching I don't know how.
    Anyone have any insight? I'm lost and don't know what to do from here. My dealer can't give me any more info either. Seems very messed up.
    Thanks
    Dave
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    What the dealer ment by "taking advantage" is fairly simple. Lets say you paid the previous owner the going KBB price of the truck, lets say $10,000. Toyota is buying back the trucks at 150% of KBB value, or in this example, $15,000. Toyota doesn't want you to profit the whole $5000, so they need to make arrangements with the previous owner so they get $2500 and you get $12,500.

What I'm not clear is what do they do in this example. Again, you buy the same equipped truck with the same mileage as described as above, but the truck is a real "piece of beat up junk" Again, the KBB value will be $15,000 but you only paid $5000 because of it's condition. You may be splitting the extra $10,000 with the previous owner.

Now, what could really make it interesting is, what if you paid $10,000 from a private individual, but only submitted paperwork your State saying $5000 so you didn't have to pay taxes on the $10,000. When Toyota contacts the private individual, they will say you paid $10,000. Will Toyota be checking with the State to see what you paid taxes on?

Mrbill
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Now that I think about it, I may be wrong with my first statement. If you paid $10,000 for the truck, but Toyota says it's worth $15,000 the previous owner may get the full $5000 and you get back your $10,000. They are trying to avoid the "taking advantage" of previous owners, and I'm glad they are.

Mrbill
    I don't believe that to be true.....as I happen to be someone who bought a truck after the bulletin / buy-back was implemented. My paper work was just pushed through at Toyota and I should be hearing from ISG within a day or two. The Toyota rep. said I was getting full KBB excellent retail value + 150% and never said anything about having to pay out to anybody else! But she did say " I don't know if you have any other Tacoma's laying around.....because if you do ....this offer is only good for one person per household". Those are the facts thus far. But it seems like they are doing some checking to see if you did just buy the truck for the flip. Here's the deal. I just talked to a rep. at ISG. My offer is more than adequate ( KBB + 150% ) just like they said! I will buy Toyota's the rest of my life! They stood behind there word! No other auto manufacturer would do that!
    David - what is the year of your truck?
    Also - I think value + 150% is a typo. Toyota is offering, on a case by case basis, 150% the KBB value. Check out the service bulletin. Email me I'll send you one if you don't have one.
    - do you know how much your truck would be worth if the series had no frame issues? ALOT more. Check out Craigslist - values are tanking.
    - Can you list the name of your rep? The people I have dealt with have been nothing but a hassle.
    - this is the first I have head about Toyota Contacting the previous owner
    iglu - it seems you're in a rough spot. If it does fail inspection you will have to deal with toyota directly - not the dealer. Forget what Keene told you, Toyota IS doing buybacks on a case by case basis. I'm in the midst of one now. Though Toyota is NOT offering 150% the vlaue of these trucks like they are older models. You will not get what the truck is worth. Toyota didn't even give me the actual KBB (actually they haven't given me anything yet) I tried pleading with them and sending proof it was worth thousands more than they claimed.
    The sad thing is, that if you and others do nothing, Toyota won't begin another buyback. You could let the truck sit, but without pressure Toyota won't start the buyback program for your model year. Do yoruself a favor and start contacting folks I've listed earlier in this thread (4-5 posts back). It's too late for me, so I hope for other's sake that Toyota will begin provding ample care for 2001 and newer trucks (the expedited buyback at 150%, a loaner, dealer assistance, and credit towards a new Toyota). Lastly, start the buyback process. Toyota may pull the plug on this program. Get what you can, consider filing suit in a small claims court after you get you check, and DO NOT LET TOYOTA KEEP NEGELCTING 2001 TRUCKS. Help yourself and others, take 5 minutes a day, and send a letter to anyone and everyone who can help. I know three people in MA alone who are in the same position you are. Together, we can pressure Toyota into doing the right thing - taking these dangerous trucks off the road and giving owners a fair deal for their loss. Contact me directly if you need to. tacomarecall@gmail.com - catchy email, huh?!

best of luck.
    Iglu - ftake notice and file here, too

www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_tacoma.html
    I believe the correct way to express the buyback amount is not
    "Excellent Retail value + 150%"...because that would be 2 - 1/2 times it's retail.

The correct amount is 1.5 times (or 150% of) Excellent retail value.

Thanks.
    If the vehicle has a salvage title are you buying them back? The policy bulletin says "no way"

@^ing these people over. I should know. I didn't even get 100% of the KBB value of my truck. I appreicate the help you're willign to provide, and i understand the annonymity. I know it's not "your policy" it is Toyotas - but they must realize - people are frustrated. Customer service has been horrible. When someone tells me that giveing me $1000 BELOW KBB value for their truck (when it SHOULD be worth $4000 more because of bad frames) - you're slapping them in the face.

Toyota needs to do the right thing. Treat every failed frame and every owner the same - regardless of the truck year.

ALL owners should get
    - a prorated check (150% is what it is)
    - a comped loaner until the check arrives
    - Dealer assitance (none of this "too bad for you. Drive home and call a 1-800# BS)
    here's some news coverage for you New Englanders. This station did a story once, with a few phone calls they may be willing to do a follow-up.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/slideshow/news/15876993/detail.html
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/15879699/detail.html
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/15877183/detail.html

Remember news producers won't do anyhting unless prompted. The more calls from the more people and the better chance for a story. I have been unable to get my local paper to do a feature, but then again I'm the only one in my area trying.
  • pettygrrlpettygrrl Member Posts: 1
    This timeline is really helpful. I brought my truck in two weeks ago today, and it failed inspection. The rep said it can take up to 4-5 weeks for Toyota to call me about an offer, but I’ve been curious about how long the average wait time really is. For other owners out there, how long did it take them to get in touch with you after your truck failed inspection?

I’ve seen others mention receiving an offer via mail or email. My guy didn’t mention either of these; he said I’d be getting a call. How does the offer process work/what have your experiences been in the case of getting the offer by phone, email or mail? Have the offers seemed fair? I have calculated my KBB value, so have an idea of what 150% should be...
  • theiglutheiglu Member Posts: 10
    Update:

Called Toyota of Keene, they got me in for the very next morning.

Failed right away. The lady told me the night before to pull out all my things, swap tires if I had newer ones on it (luckily my friend has a Tundra with the same wheels and BALD tires).

They gave me a loaner. They said the last 2001 owner they dealt with had to wait 99 days for his check but Toyota paid for the rental for the entire time.

We'll see what happens. They even said I could go siphon the gas out of the tank (it was full to the brim).

Now I'm driving around a new GMC Envoy that handles like an old toilet. Could be late January before I get my check. At least that's half a winters abuse that I won't have to put on a car I own.

I really don't want to do anything legally until they make me an offer. If it's low, I'll fight. If they come through, I don't want them having bad publicity for it.