Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• pataco01pataco01 Member Posts: 14
    Well I've been watching this post for a couple of weeks now and can finally chime in. took my '01 to the dealership today and like I thought it failed the frame inspection. Big hole on the inside of the passenger side frame by the rear leaf hanger. Not real happy with toyota right now but the dealership has been pretty good so far. The hooked me up with a free loaner (new Dakota quad cab 4x4) and said they would start the paperwork. They told me I would be up for a frame replacement. I said no, I want the buyback. Talked to the Toyota rep and he gave me a new case number, different than my reference number, and said a case manager would call me within 24 hours to let me know my options. So should find out tomorrow whats going on. Hopefully they'll buy it back and I can get that Nissan I've wanted. When I hear anything new I'll be sure to update everyone.
  • reuserreuser Member Posts: 8
    I went through the Toyota thing last summer. If you haven't found it, go to AUTOSAFETY.ORG, the Center for Auto Safety in D.C. where they are collecting names for a potential class action suit. I'll join any suit that happens. I talked to the Director last summer and he was very aware of this issue. One of the problems is that because Toy is not calling this a recall (rather a buy-back) they pretend that they didn't know about this problem during all of these years when many of us were buying used vehicles. Don't know about the 2001 models on -- whether Toyota is finally owning up to the dangerous nature of the problem.

The AG idea is a good one too -- whatever works! Good luck. Now I have a Ranger I hate, but I'm so sick of Toyota that I doubt I'll ever buy one of their trucks again.
  • doubleusndoubleusn Member Posts: 20
    Also dealing with Corporate and Ms. Bishop.

She has refused to provide me in writing with a warranty, a replacement part list, and an ETA.

I have also left calls with the NHTSA, State AG, and the FTC (fed)(877-382-4357)

Anybody know the contact info for the Boston Area Regional Manager for Toyota?

Thanks
    -wsn
  • mcalauttmcalautt Member Posts: 67
    I want to AUTOSAFETY.ORG but I cant find a section where they are taking names..
    do you know the specific link ?
    Hi

I also got a second case number and have been told not only will Toy Corp not provide me in writing with what is being replaced, but they will not provide me in writing the warranty going forward. I asked for it via email, fax, or ups. I have also been told there will be NO buy backs going fwd. I have been dealing with this with Toyota since 12/28. The dealer is being ok (sometimes good/sometimes bad) but Corp is being just as is described in all the other recent posts. Not helpful, secretive, and not returning phone calls when they say they will, etc.
  • reuserreuser Member Posts: 8
    Hi folks. Here's how to get on the Center for Auto Safety's list of people interested in a class action suit. THERE ARE ONLY 47 SO FAR, SO I URGE ALL OF YOU WHO ARE PISSED OFF TO GET ON THE LIST SO THAT WE BECOME A FORCE.

There is indeed a broken link on the autosafety.org website, so I figured out the apparent only way to get to the place to file a complaint and get on a list. On the homepage click on "file a complaint". File your complaint and you'll see that the last question is "are you interested in a class action suit?" Say "yes". You can then go and view all other complaints if you wish.

Last summer when I was going through this the only way I learned about the Center for Auto Safety's involvement was through a newspaper article -- they don't seem to come up on Google. So I'm not surprised that more people haven't found them, but it is critical. They can be very instrumental in pushing action on things.

I'd love to hear that everyone has suddently filed a complaint on the Center's site!
    awesome.. thats what I did..
  • Sambone5769Sambone5769 Member Posts: 19
    I just filed my complaint there and the number still says that only 47 people have filed a similar complaint. Come on people!
    Talked to Toyota today. Got my new case manager, Kevin. He would not really tell me anything except there is NO BUYBACK. I can either take the new frame or do nothing. Not very happy with my options but what can I do. Don't want/need another truck payment. Guess I should've bought an older piece of crap Tacoma instead of spending $20,000 on my '01 back then.
    I got a kevin as a case manager as well.
    he is not too helpful.. just tells you your screwed in 6 different ways..
    I bet its the same guy.
    I called and said, "why should I miss out on toyota new purchase deals because I am waiting for an offer on my buyback? shouldnt these incentives be extended to people involved in the tacoma problem?"
    he said, "the buyback program has nothing to do with any deals going on new toyotas' so you would just need to wait for your offer and then look for new deals that come in."
    He ( and other people I spoke with at toyota) also act like they have no affiliation with ISG which is very annoying and insulting, I mean, toyota hired ISG to handle the buybacks but when you ask questions about ISG they have no answers.
    Sounds like his M.O. Couldn't answer any questions except to tell me frame swap or nothing. Said my dealer would be able to answer specifics but they know nothing right now. I really love my truck and I guess I'm gonna keep it so Kevin told me if I had anything I wanted done to my truck the dealership should be able to help me out while the trucks apart. I'm about due for a clutch, timing belt, and new suspension. He told me new leafs may be included. I would usually do this all myself but hey if the've got the motor and tranny out might as well let them do it. I know they won't let me come in and do it. Wouldn't that be nice.
    ya they should actually not charge you any labor on that..
    just parts..
    the suspension would have to come out anyway and the motor and trans will come out and be separated so you should tell them u need it done and your only paying for the parts.
    id go to the dealer and have the parts department give you part numbers and price and dont tell them your truck is there. that way you get a price from them and then you can compare to make sure they dont try to mark them up to pay for some labor.
    Does anyone know for sure if the frames are coming bare or are there new suspension components on them as well? I've heard both, but no definitive answer as of yet.

Also, does anyone have any idea what the truck might be worth after the frame swap? I know it all depends on the truck itself, but has anyone heard of trucks that have had the frame replaced and what value they had compared to similar Tacoma's without frame issues?

I mean, I wonder if advertising the truck as having a brand new frame with a 15 year warranty might appeal to a prospective buyer. I am assuming this 15 year warranty would aplly for the life of the vehicle and not just me, the owner.
  • theiglutheiglu Member Posts: 10
    Just added mine.
    I was told that what came on the frame depended on your VIN #. Basically they don't really know either, and that's from Kevin @ Toyota. He did say nuts and bolts and the "usual" stuff that breaks with a project like this. I'm hoping that means brake/fuel lines and hopefully rear leafs. They did tell me that my body lift will be reinstalled and I will get the truck back the way it sits now. So I hope this new frame works out.
    Just got his reply from my State A.G.'s office ...

"Your e-mail was forwarded to me. I have heard of the volunteer buyback plan from Toyota. I do understand your vehicle is not covered under this plan. Because this is a volunteer program that Toyota is doing and not required we cannot mediate your complaint. I would encourage you to keep the line of communication open with Toyota’s customer service. It is your only course for addressing this issue. It the volunteer changes and you are then covered we could then try to mediate the situation. But as it stands now, we cannot do anything."
    Yeah, I signed up for that too. Toyota was very smart how they went about all this. They're very adamant about not calling this a recall. That basically keeps us from being able to do anything about it. This is pretty much a "goodwill" effort on Toyota's part.
    Someone on here earlier suggested going to the local news. I think I'm gonna give this a try because how many people are out there in these unsafe trucks? I still wouldn't know about my truck if I hadn't been underneath working on my rear diff. People need to know about this and there's only a few threads beside this one that have any info on this problem.
  • screwed4screwed4 Member Posts: 11
    I too have filed under the autosafety.org, as well as the attorney general, and better business bureau. Has anbody retained a lawyer yet on the safety concerns with the 2001 -2004? If so, I am interested to hear from you. A frame replacement is unacceptable. The truck will never be right again. In my local small town, there is only one other tacoma, a 2001, so far that they will be doing a frame swap on. My truck is a 2002, which I was told on November 11, 2008, that I was to be included in the BB. I have real safety concerns with this frame swap, again, like I said earlier, I am not sure the mechanics are not qualified to do this correctly. I had the oppurtunity to see a boneyard of the toyota's they had collected, most of them were almost split in half, the cab just seperated, in a V shape, scary, huh? God forbid I am in a wreck, I wonder what impact this would have? These trucks are not safe to be on the road. Has anbody contacted their insurance company? I wonder what they would say about this issue, would they want to cover an unsafe rusted frame? Anybody know about the value of these trucks after frame replacement? Has anbody got a frame replacement yet? My dealership told me that they were not in yet.
  • tcincytcincy Member Posts: 28
    if the State AG will not take it as a "voluntary program" then how about just plain old "Consumer Complaint" or "Lemon Law" complaint?

"It is your only course for addressing this issue"????
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I'd be p****d.
    I asked her to clarify, and she said that our Tacomas did not qualify under the "Lemon Law" as they were more than three years old.
    I'm still a little fuzzy on the details, but because there is no OFFICIAL recall underway, I guess they can't mediate? I don't get it. I was doing my civil duty to inform the state that there are countless Tacoma owners driving around in potential killing machines oblivious to their dangerous predicament, and with assurances from Toyota that their trucks are fine. Has anyone received a letter or notification from Toyota that their 01-04 Tacomas might be in trouble and to have them checked out?
    This is scary.
  • daleyplanitdaleyplanit Member Posts: 27
    Up until a month ago I was probably one of the most active people on this list. I recently bought a house, so I had to shift my time from advocating on this issue to navigating mortages, realtors, insurance, inspections, and negotations. It's a good thing Toyota doesn't make houses, many of us would be homeless. Anyway.... Here's the message I keep touting...

Take the time and write the appropriate agencies about this issue.

Southland California Better Business Bureau
    Your state attorney general's office
    Your state consumer protection board
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
    Your state and federal assemblyman and congressman
    Local news (tv and newspaper)
    60 minutes and Dateline
    Various internet complaint centers like the Autosafety.org

I have form letters, adresses, advice for documentaion, and I'm more than happy to help you. I had a 2001 Tacoma and was RIPPED off by Toyota. I'll do everything in my power to make sure that
    1. Dangerous trucks are taken off the road.
    2. Toyota pays a fair market value for those trucks
    3. All customers affected get the same treatment. Currently, 2001 and newer truck owners are completely hung out to dry. No loaner, no full value, no dealership asistance.

I know a few people are talking about class action stuff, but that won't happen until an attorney feels the pressure is on enough to take this case head one. Toyota is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and without strength in numbers, I doubt much will happen. Keep making calls, kee writing letters, and keep the pressure on.

Toyota gave me $3,000 less than what I paid for my truck when I bought it last year. I recently heard toyota has formalized the 2001+ buyback program. If this is so - what are people getting? Rental? 150%? I got niether and I'm considering going for the rest in small claims court but not without vlaidation that Toyota has stepped up to the plate for some folks but not others.
  • screwed4screwed4 Member Posts: 11
    I read some where through these threads about someone contacting bostonchannel5, so I did last night, they replied back this morning asking me where I live and if I was willing to do an interview with them. So, maybe this is another route for people to start complaning to them as well...I understand they did an investigation on the earlier models, I will let you know further about this. The only problem I have is that I am located in Maryland, possibly they would consider an interview over the phone, come on folks!!!!!! Let's explore every option we have. considereing there are not too many left.
    find out what they want to do for the interview..
    is this regarding an 01 - 04 truck ?
    toyota will not buy back trucks if they are 2001-2004 they are only going to replace the frame..

I just got my offer and it was lower than what I think was fair..
    I argued with Keven ( toyota case manager) and he did not care about any point I made and said "toyota is not in the business of buying back trucks" and my buyback was a "Good will" buyback.

the long and short of it is,
    toyota doesnt care about how this affects their customers, they are only concerned with how much this will cost them.
  • rachelfrachelf Member Posts: 12
    OK, so I've got an 02 with the disease.....did the yada yada w/ Kevin, and my service mgr. called to inform me of the frame replacement (bummer) I was ready to upgrade to the 4 door Taco- my inspection expires end of Jan. they told me to turn the truck in and I will get a loaner.....they dont have the parts, and dont know when they will......
    Mr. Service Mgr. metioned that during the "repair" it might be a good time to replace/fix parts that are easily accessible such as fuel/brake lines........ I want to know if any of you know what exactly is included in the frame repair.....a mechanic pal said that Toyota should be responsible for the lines, because they are gonna mess them up during surgery......See where I'm going w/ this ?
    What are the parts that are included with the frame ( I'm a mechanical dummy). I want to go in there knowing exactly whats what.......I am hiring an honest mechanic to put the truck up on a lift and show me the whole deal. I dont want to pay for parts that Toyota is responsible for. Anybody got some info on this?
    Also I'm scared, 'cause I'm one of the first frame jobs for this dealership- being the test monkey doesnt make me feel the love..........
    Hi

I ended up working something out with the dealer. They gave me a fair trade in value for the truck. A number that reflects market value of what it would be worth if it did not have a hole in the rusty frame. They then let me use that trade value towards a heavily discounted 09 Tacoma. I wanted 1.5 KBB but Toyota Corp (vs dealer) are being unreasonable about this. I don't have the 3+ months I was quoted for a frame replacement and I don't trust it will be done right, we are talking major surgery. I took the trade deal. The problem goes away, I have a new 09 that was 'heavily' discounted on $$$, and the many months of waiting and Toyota Corp BS is no longer my problem. Also FWIW they did give me a rental for no cost for the 3/4 weeks that it took to work this all out. In the end 99% of this is Toyota Corp, and not the dealer (or mine anyhow) I had already bought 2 there, and the General Sales Manger made it happen. Very nice lady.

Glad it's all over, I will not miss dealing with Ms. Bishop from the Corp office in CA.

Good luck to everybody...

Cheers
    -wsn
    Hi

Before I worked out a deal with my dealer, Toyota Corp (Ms. Bishop) REFUSED to provide me with the list of parts in writing/email/fax.

FWIW:

Toyota's Legal Dept Address is:

Toyota Motor Sales USA
    National Customer Relations
    19001 Southwestern Ave.
    Dept HQ11 Torrance, CA 90509
    Attention: 2001-2004 Customer Support Program (Tacoma)

Good luck folks...

Cheers
    -wsn
  • bearcatterbearcatter Member Posts: 7
    I agree with rachelf, this frame replacement open heart surgery is going to eventually cause palpitations to our wallets. Toyota will find a way to tack on extra charges for stuff that breaks in the course of the frame replacement. If the frame is rusted, that other stuff is rusted. I expect to have to replace tie rods, exhaust system, etc, as thrashing on that rusted stuff is going to cause failure. I'd just as soon not be responsible for $600-$700 in additional costs arising from this frame replacement. I'm even going to have to replace my oil pan when the engine is out of the truck. I bet I'm personally looking at $1000 out of pocket expenses at frame replacement time. That's why in this economy, a buyback is the best solution for us owners.
  • matthewotamatthewota Member Posts: 7
    I had my 97 Taco inspected yesterday. I have owned it since 2002 and have almost 200,000 miles on it. The inspection showed no rust corrosion on the frame. However, I purchased and drove it in Southern California where the climate is mild.

I now live in New England and the dealer told me to bring it back in one year for another inspection.

I plan to get the frame undercoated as soon as I can afford it. I would rather drive my Taco until it falls apart than part with it.
    Undercoating only does so much. It tends to trap whatever is already on the frame beneath the undercoat and just speed up the rusting process. This is particularly true with road salt. Welcome to New England!
    the frame replacement is a bad idea has I have mentioned before however I heard that the frame will come with kits containing new bolts and related parts that they expect to be rusty.
  • deebonedeebone Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone with a 2001 - 2004 Taco received a letter yet detailing the new frame replacement program? My case manager told me letters were going out in early January, yet my dealer's service manager (whom I check with at least weekly) still has not heard any details about what the dealers are supposed to be doing or when. I agree with mcalautt, frame replacement is a bad idea, and I've had other ASE mechanics tell me the same thing. My case manager told me that it will be at the dealer's discretion what gets replaced as part of the frame transplant vs. what the Taco owner needs to lay out $$$ for. That will just result in more PO'd Taco owners...
    Its my opinion that toyota does not care.. they are only concerned about how much they will need to pay out.
    I have a 2001 and was lucky to fall into a buy out.
    My case manger (Kevin) basically is the middle man between us and corporate.
    He made sure he kept saying that they are buying mine back as "good will" as the 2001 - 2004's are all getting a frame replacement. I argued that frame replacements
    are NOT the answer and that toyota is going to really damage their customer reputation. HE said " we are not in the business of buying trucks back"
    I dont have enough room here to begin to tell you what I said.
    Imagine that, they are not in the business to buy trucks.. I said, "consumers are not in business to buy trucks that only last 5 to 6 years.
  • daleyplanitdaleyplanit Member Posts: 27
    Hey! That was me reccomending the contact with BC5. I've tried in vain to get my local, Albany NY paper and TV stations involved. I'm glad you made some headway. If there is anything you need at all I'd be happy to help. I have pictures from others and copies of every letter I've written as well. please keep the board posted and share the video!

thanks
  • hockeyeasthockeyeast Member Posts: 43
    If you want to get the local papers involved, just blame it all on George Bush. :)
  • JRB2002JRB2002 Member Posts: 2
    I am in agreement with the others who have posted. I own a 2002 with a rusted frame. When I spoke with Toyota Corporate about it they advised that Toyota will only replace the frames and not buyback any of the 2001-04 trucks. I too feel I should not be responsible for the numerous items that are bound to fail when performing such a major undertaking. Toyota will not even specify what they are will replace beyond the frame itself. I paid more money for a Toyota truck because I had believed in their legendary reliability and durability. Toyota needs to do right by us owners of later model Tacomas by providing the same program offered to owners of 1995-2000 Tacomas. We should not be discriminated just because we purchased newer model trucks.
    I agree with you.,
    the case manager I had (kevin) claims there were no frames avail for the 95 - 00 tacomas which is why there was a buy back.
    the bottom line is, even though they are pretending to care, they dont. they are only concerned about their total cost on all of this.
  • rachelfrachelf Member Posts: 12
    So I went to my local mechanic- a great and honest man, and he put my truck up on the lift and proceeded to show me just how much stuff is related to the frame.... I also saw the rust on the frame, which is bad- but not horrible- YET.
    Here are a few things that will need to be replaced because of removing the existing frame:
    Engine mounts
    Cad mounts
    Upper and Lower suspension along w/ control arm......this will lead to a need for re-alignment
    Brake lines and brackets
    Fuel line and brackets
    Spare tire mount
    Evap unit
    All this and probably more- he guesstimated the cost at $2000 ! Plus I already have an existing whole in my gas tank (from rust.what a surprise) I go into my dealer next week to turn in my truck (my inspection expires 1/31/09) . I am going to try and negotiate w/ the dealer on these repairs.......we'll see what happens. I am not very good at playing the heavy- but I will not pay for repairs that I am not responsible for.
    BTW, my mechanic chrged me $16 for the look over.......i should just take the parts and let him do the work.......
  • cman23cman23 Member Posts: 3
    Just a little info about the 01-04 vehicles, there will be 1,000 frames available at the end of the month. The frames are being manufactured in a plant in Kentucky and were originally manufactured in the U.S. and obviously assembled at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA.

There is no technical procedure released at this point for the frame replacement, and no info as to what is included with the repair kit. They obviously know what the major components are that will need replacement along with the frame. My suggestion is to seek a dealership with a Body Shop if at all posssible, they will be more familiar with the type of repair and procedures involved.
  • bearcatterbearcatter Member Posts: 7
    The following is a letter that I've sent the NHTSA. I've pulled out all the stops trying to get someone to do something about our Tacomas. I've contacted the bostonchannel, 60 minutes, the Mass AG, my congressmen. It's a long read. I go into detail on what the problem is and why logistically, I feel Toyota won't be able to adequately perform their proposed fixes on our vehicles. That leads us to only one logical conclusion - buyback.

Gentlemen,

I am the unfortunate owner of a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. By now I'm sure you've heard all about the frame corrosion problems with the 1995 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma pick-ups. I believe that this is a much bigger problem than what Toyota is telling you folks at the NHTSA. The magnitude of this problem and the logistics of Toyota's proposed fix leaves the NHTSA no choice but to force Toyota to initiate a mandatory buyback of these dangerous vehicles. The conditions of the buyback should follow the precedence set by Toyota on Toyota's voluntary buyback program for the '95-01 Tacomas - 1.5 times the Kelly Blue Book retail value. Tacoma owners, such as myself, must be fairly compensated for unknowingly driving an unsafe vehicle and for the inconvenience of for being prematurely forced to look for a replacement vehicle. All this frame trouble is artificially depressing the Kelly Blue Book values, hence the 1.5 times Kelly Blue Book basically makes Tacoma owners whole. I had plans to keep this Tacoma for many more years. Now all I can wonder is when this defective frame will prematurely take my truck off the road and how much Toyota's gross negligence is invariably going to cost me. This isn't the legendary Toyota reliability that I bought into.

Toyota's approach to addressing this frame issue is flawed because of the sheer number of vehicles involved. Basically Toyota won't be able to get the faulty frames repaired quickly enough, which will leave literally thousands of dangerous Tacomas still out on the roads, as their owners just can't park those vehicles and wait around for Toyota to replace the frame. Just think about the logistics of all this. Toyota is allotting 60 hours of technician time to swap out a typical frame. If you divide the number of Tacomas needing frame replacements by the number of northern states technicians available to actually perform the work, resolving this frame problem is literally going to take years. Not all the dealership's technicians will be doing frame replacements. Other vehicles will have to be serviced. If you happen to own one of the afflicted Tacomas, you don't have years to wait for a fix. The prudent thing is to force Toyota to accept the overwhelming futility of the situation and initiate a buyback immediately. If as a Tacoma owner, you want to wait around for your turn to get your frame replaced, then that's your call. Most of us can't wait. Our vehicles are rapidly becoming unsafe. We simply don't have years to wait.

Synopsis of problem: The frame of the Tacoma was fabricated with insufficient corrosion protection, particularly inside the boxed section of frame under the midsection of the truck. The frame is literally rusting from the inside out. What happens is, as the frame rusts on the inside of the boxed section, the rust flakes drop onto the bottom of the boxed section. These rust flakes then plug the weep holes in the frame so that moisture is not allowed to drain out the interior of the boxed section, thereby exacerbating the potential for corrosion. So what is happening is the bottom of the boxed section of frame is rusting out due to the build-up of moisture and the accumulation of rust flakes plugging off the weep holes. The rust flakes are 1/8" deep on the bottom of my boxed section of frame. Basically the bottom 20% of Tacoma frames are rusting out.

To a lesser degree, the top exterior of the boxed section of frame is also rusting, as the floor of the truck cab is only 1" above the frame, which makes cleaning the top of the frame in that area difficult with a water spray.. Because of the tight frame/cab tolerance, this area doesn't get cleaned by most owners, as they never realized it was such a problem until it's too late.

What is particularly dangerous about the bottom of the boxed section of frame becoming compromised by corrosion, is the bottom of the boxed section is where the bracket for the rear leaf spring is attached. As the boxed section corrodes, there is less and less material supporting this major suspension bracket. The design of this bracket must be analyzed by your NHTSA independent engineer. I strongly believe that it doesn't take much frame corrosion to severely compromise the integrity of this welded leaf spring bracket. If this bracket fails, then the front of the leaf spring comes free, the rear axle comes out of alignment, which could cause the operator to lose control. This is a major safety issue!

This compromised leaf spring bracket is why the NHTSA needs to force a mandatory buyback of this vehicle. In the northern road salt using states, the Toyota Tacoma MUST be taken off the road! Rampant frame corrosion is making the Tacoma unsafe.

Toyota has an action plan to coat the inside and outsides of the good frames with an industrial coating. They are not removing the accumulated salt saturated rust flakes lying on the bottom of the boxed section of frame. They are just spraying a coating over them. The loose rust flakes have to be removed for the coating to properly adhere to the inside of the frame. Toyota's proposed fix for the so called "good" frames is flawed and will give owners a false sense of security.

The NHTSA needs to demand that Toyota turn over all Tacoma frame design and suspension calculations to an independent engineer hired by the NHTSA. The independent engineer must analyze what effect various levels of corrosion have on the safety factor of the frame and suspension brackets. It is my strong belief that the frame is already designed to the margin for weight savings, so that it doesn't take much corrosion to erase all safety factor and place the frame and suspension components in grave danger of failing.

I also can't help but wonder that since the frame is an integral part of the vehicle's safety system, what does a severely corroded and weakened frame do to the level of crash protection offered by the vehicle? If NHSTA's independent engineer finds that the frame does play a major role in the crash protection offered by the vehicle, and that these severely weakened frames makes the vehicle inherently dangerous, then NHSTA will have no choice but to force Toyota to initiate a mandatory recall and buyback.

The NHTSA must take action. Toyota is in way over their head.
  • vdragonvdragon Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2003 that's been in CA (Orange County to San Francisco) it's whole life. I called and had the Dealer check my VIN and he says my truck is not on the recall list. I'll have to check the frame myself. It sounds like this is mainly affecting trucks in the snowy areas that use salt on the roads. That sucks...

But I hope my frame is OK.
    Great letter. Very informative and well written. Have you heard back from anyone yet? I have an '01 that's sitting in the shop right now. They did give me a loaner but I want my truck back. They've already made it very clear there will be no buyback. I just wonder how long and how much bs until my truck's back to where I want it.
  • devilfandevilfan Member Posts: 3
    It has been 5 weeks now and no information on when the frames may be available. As others have noted the Corp reps are useless, they have no information and repeat the same corporate BS. Case manager (Kevin of other postings) refuses to provide the letter or provide a higher authority to talk to. Unbelievable. They're deliberately stonewalling us. To top it off my buddy Kevin tells me the local dealer is the one who would have the info and my local dealer tells me they get all the info from corporate. Dealer has no idea what parts to order, what part numbers will be needed, when they may get parts, etc. Absolutely atrocious responses from Toyota corp and their lackeys. Dealer now has 4 Tacoma's sitting there with same issue.

I'm going to try contacting local papers and TV stations but am not holding out much hope.
  • grammydgrammyd Member Posts: 6
    I called Toyota Canada and am not happy. I spoke with a female Toyota employee and she started off her conversation with "we've told you over and over again, your 2001 Tacoma is not covered under this campaign".

The reason she said "over and over" is because I emailed them 3 times regarding this issue because they never answered my question, so I replied until they answered. She said regardless of what is happening in the US, Toyota Canada does not have a program for 2001-2004 Tacomas. She was extremely rude, all I called for was because I wanted to know if the frame replacement in the US applied in Canada.

Oh well, theres really not much to do but wait. I don't plan on keeping a truck that had the frame replaced, so hopefully they buy it back and I can purchase a new Tacoma, if not, I don't know what to do.

Grammy
    well she sucks and so does her attitude.
    If I were you, I wouldnt buy a new tacoma or any toyota for that matter after being treated the way people have been and to think thats just in this forum.
    I fought with Keven and he was pretty much reading from a Q card. it was pointless.
    so i told him I will never buy a toyota again and he said "thats your decision to make"
    So tomorrow it looks like I will be getting a honda element.
    I wanted the ridgeline ( which is awesome) but the gas mileage is bad :(..
    Same bs I heard. Sounds almost word for word. Still waiting to hear ANYTHING. No one has a clue what is going to happen let alone when. Its been 2 weeks and the dealership still knows nothing. Kevin just reads from a card and won't tell me anything. I'm getting real disgusted with Toyota and it looks like Nissan here I'm come.
    Nissan or honda ..
    u cant lose..
    I just missed a 2007 honda element AGHHHHH
    it was awesome but they would not meet me on the price..
    major bummer .. :(....

look at consumer reports for honda and nissan if your looking for a truck again.
    the ridgeline is awesome and got excellent ratings.Get this,
    nissan makes thier NISMO frontier.. and I heard that Suzuki is going to sell
    the exact same truck and with suzuki you get a longer factory warranty.
    Worth looking into because its literally the NISMO with suzuki badges.
    my buddy has a NISMO and loves it.
  • hockeyeasthockeyeast Member Posts: 43
    Toyota :lemon: dissed me and now I drive a Nissan. To hell with them!!!
    Yeah, bought my wife an '05 Nissan Xterra Off Road. Absolutely love it. It would run circles around my 3.4L taco. I really like the '03 and up Frontiers, and I did see the new Suzukis in a quad mag. Not real crazy with the bed on the Honda though. The bedsides are too high for my liking. My dealer told me to just tell him what year/make/model/mileage and he'll find it for me. Just wondering what I'll get for my truck though.
  • cman23cman23 Member Posts: 3
    I recently posted some info regarding the frame replacement, the kit will consist of new brake lines,parking brake cable, front control arms and rear leaf springs. There are a few other items, but it is unclear exactly what they are, I would imagine hardware. Hopefully this is beneficial to some of you. The frames are being provided by DANA corp in KY, which should be available very shortly.