Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• gusottogusotto Member Posts: 6
    I also have a 2001 Tacoma SR5 Extended Cab (built 2/01) with the rust problem. My dealer has taken pictures and forwarded to Toyota. They will get back to me. A "small" chance of a buy back but the frame does have holes so I will get a new frame. The mechanic who will work on it is very good and I trust him.

I told the dealership that if they gave me a "real good deal", I'd probably buy another. A lot of the '95-2000 drivers didn't buy again so they didn't make any money. I'll have to see....
    I have the 2.7 I4 w/5-speed Extended Cab. Not many out there to replace it with. Too many automatics.

Then I got to thinking about letting them rebuild the frame. They extended the warranty to 15 years, only 3 on a new one.
    I already have a new muffler by Toyota so another muffler would be free. I'd have the shocks replaced so that is another life-time item. (I tend to keep things for a while).
    I can look over the body when they have it. I believe it's in fine shape.

They said anything that looks questionable during rebuild (hardware, fittings, etc.) would be replaced.

Truck is paid for, I'd have to spend my own money on a new one.

New tires on 11/27. Day after Thanksgiving.

The chassis is rebuilt but while apart, I'd add new shocks, timing belt, clutch job, all items that I'd save on labor while the truck is apart. Easier for the mechanic.

MPG is less on the new one.

Same with the load capacity.
    2001 has 1,900 lbs. (steel box).
    2010 is 1,395 (plastic composite box).
    A lot to give up!

I considered having the body shop giving the new frame a really good paint job before the rebuild. I'll have to see what the replacement frame looks like. Do it before attaching everything.

The rebuild would have to be done while I still own it. I was told the dealership doesn't get as much if they own it. Advantage to the dealer if rebuilt under my name. I've seen figures of 60 hrs. needed and a cost of $14K. Makes my truck worth more. Everything is new underneath. Runs like a top anyway w/96K.
    The more I think of it, I might keep the truck after the rebuild. I'd need a VERY good offer to part with it!
  • bjjinnybjjinny Member Posts: 3
    New frames are by Dana and warranteed for 15 years. They are made in the USA too (not Indonesia). FYI , my gas tank is my problem. I'm holding out for an aftermarket one.
  • tgtech570tgtech570 Member Posts: 1
    I have heard much discussion of how many consumers are not being helped with their Toyota frame rust problems. Maybe I'm an exception to the rule or maybe it's the local Toyota dealer I go to here in Canton, OH... but it's been my experience that Toyota has stood behind their products. I started with a 1998 Toyota Tacoma that had frame rust 2 years ago and Toyota bought it from me for 150% of it's value. With the proceeds, I then purchased a 2002 Tacoma which I was just informed today that it's frame is bad and is going to be replaced by Toyota. The total cost to replace a frame is almost $10,000 on a 7 year old truck that's worth about $8,000.
  • tcincytcincy Member Posts: 28
    Same here.
    I live in Cincinnati and leased new, then bought, a 1999 Tacoma from a Florence, Ky. Toyota dealer. They inspected mine in August, 2008 and bought it in Oct., 2008 for 150% KBB excellent retail, which I used to purchase a 2009 Tacoma. So I got the buyback payment as well as a $1,000 incentive to purchase another Tacoma. I've been reading horror stories on here for a year from customers getting the runaround on inspections, paperwork, not being able to get their trucks back, dealers wanting to "repair" the frame, etc. It sounds like Toyota let their regional offices handle things as they see fit, instead of one consistent national policy.
  • pamela60pamela60 Member Posts: 5
    It does include 2002 Tacomas. I received the letter just before the holidays. Decided to wait till after the first of the year to take the truck in. Had it inspected on Jan.16. Was told it was totally unsafe to drive. One baseball size hole in frame. They gave me a loaner but no offer of a buyout. Called the 800 number the receptionist gave me. Have a case number and she will call me back on Tuesday, Jan. 19, I hope. I can keep you informed if you wish. Pam Rivers
  • rustedframerustedframe Member Posts: 6
    Pam, please post the 800 number you have for Toyota.
    I took my 2002 Tacoma in about 2 months ago and was
    told I have a "hole in the frame" and that they want to
    replace the frame.I want them to to simply buy back
    my truck.

It would be cheaper for Toyota to buy it back than repair
    it! I need to contact Toyota & plead my case for buy back
    Vs repair. Has anyone been able to get a buy back for
    a 2001 or newer?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    For those of you with 2001-2004 Tacomas, you are not likely to have your truck purchased because the frames for that generation of truck are still in production - that is why Toyota is replacing the frame. The 1995-2000 frames are not in production, thus those trucks are being purchased by Toyota and subsequently destroyed.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • doubleusndoubleusn Member Posts: 20
    As somebody who lived thru this nightmare last year (before corp even publicly acknowledged it) this post is spot on... they will not buy your truck. Mine was an 02 and I tried and I went to the end of the earth trying. (Lawyer, AG, BBB, Etc)

You options really are:

1) Frame Replacement and keep.
    2) Frame Replacement and sell.
    3) Workout a fair deal, with your dealer about trading it in, for a new one*

I was able to pull off #3. I got a fair KBB number for a non-broken truck and a heavily discounted new Tacoma. That had to do with me being a long time customer @ this dealer and the economy as they need to sell trucks.

I saw my old 02 many months later on their used lot for a HUGE number. Who knows if they got it, but I am glad to see it over with. IMO, if you were gonna drive your Tacoma into the ground, do the replacement. If your's was low miles and or you have concerns with it long term after a replacement, do # 2 or 3.

* = your mileage may vary
    The number was 1 800 331 4331. Did not hear back from Toyota on Tuesday. I will be calling them Wednesday morn. to talk with them. It seems so ridiculous to spend $10,000 or so to replace the frame. My 2002 truck has very low mileage but it's not worth $10,000. If I do decide to have the replacement frame it could end up costing me money for parts that are messed up during the installation of the new frame. I would not have to pay for any labor though.
    Received phone call from Toyota Co. last night. NO chance of buy out. Tried to reason with her, just doesn't do any good. Time to Call dealer and see if I can't work something out with them, if not will have the frame replaced.
    I have a 2002. When they installed the new frame on your truck were there any parts that where broken that had to be replaced? I was told I would have to pay for the parts but nothing for labor.
  • erik1987erik1987 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 also. I had the frame replaced last March, and have had no problems so far. They suggested that I could replace the shocks while it was apart, but since money was tight, I chose not to. The truck still rides good on the old shocks
  • Red01TacomaRed01Tacoma Member Posts: 9
    My 01 frame replacement was done last March. I have had no issues so far. I had 135k at the time and everything was original. I replaced muffler and rear shocks. My dealer didn't give me much of a discount but I was very please with the work they did. I planned on keeping the truck so I put some of the money into.
    Took my 2001 AC 4X4 in for the frame replacement. I was the 1st for the dealership and they did a top notch job.
    The tech said he was given a 63 page instruction manual on how to do it. The replacement isn't a guessing game.

I took advantage of free labor for the shocks. Dumb not to take advantage of free labor savings.
    When the engine/tranny was out, I had the clutch replaced. Easier and cheaper.
    Replaced the fuel filter and all fluids (differential, transfer case & tranny also.)
    The new parts I wanted that weren't on the list were discounted by the dealership.

They provide the labor, frame, rear springs, lower control arms, brake lines, emergency brake cable, hardware, new brake fluid, anti-freeze and front end alignment.

They let me drop by and take all sorts of pictures.

When the body and box were on the hoist, I had a chance to look at the underside and it was rust-free. Had the truck Ziebarted. I now have a "new" 2001 truck and it's paid for!

Some people worry about a frame replacement.
    Why?
    The techs are trained and they replace all the parts during normal work operations. With the frame replacement, they get to work in better conditions and with lots of new parts.

The dealerships make out better if the replacement is completed in the owners name, therefore giving the original owner better trading advantage.

Because of the crushing of Tacomas, the survivors will be worth more in the future.

Do the replacement, it's great!
  • johnny66johnny66 Member Posts: 11
    Hello, I just wanted to know how long the process took from when your truck was inspected until it was finished. My truck was looked at originally in October 2008 and had the official inspection December 2009 and still can't get the frame replaced. The dealer says they can't get a frame. The person who inspected the frame said it was one of the worst he had ever seen. I talked to another dealer who has performed a frame swap and said that it is a money maker for the shop but also said once you start dealing with one dealer they won't transfer the process to another dealer. So basically have been fighting with the dealer for over a year. Thanks for any input you may have. John
  • bearcatterbearcatter Member Posts: 7
    John,

Are you still driving your truck? That's one of my biggest fears is having my truck deemed "unsafe" and yanked off the road, as the frame replacement games begin. From reading accounts of people riding around with baseball sized holes in their frame and the frame not failing, I'm willing to keep running my truck. I just don't want my Toyota dealer yanking my inspection sticker so I can't legally operate the truck.

My second fear is having to pay for all the rusted stuff that breaks because they had to disturb those parts during the frame replacement. Even though I'd be getting a new frame and nice riding new rear springs, I don't appreciate having to pay out of pocket for stuff I'd never normally have to replace over the life of the truck.

Man, I wish they'd give us the same cash buyout deal they gave the older Tacoma owners. I just can't believe they won't do what even makes sense. If it costs Toyota less to buy back my high mileage Tacoma with failing transmission, etc rather than replace the frame, wouldn't it make better business sense to buy back the truck? I just don't get it.
    I was in for service in December. They called me to tell me the frame needed to be replaced.
    The parts came in slowly. I'm sure they use your VIN to order the correct parts. The frame was the last thing delivered (Tuesday, Jan. 12). The semi driver had about 10 frames stacked on his truck, just making deliveries to other dealers.

As soon as the frame got there, they called me and I dropped the truck off about 11 AM. I took it through the car wash and hand car wash to get as much underside dirt off and make it easier for him.

Dropped in and took pictures everyday. I even gave him a camera so he could take some as he progressed.

Stopped in on Monday morning, Jan. 18 for more pictures but the truck was done and in the parking lot.

I figure it took less than 4 days and I was the 1st frame replacement for the dealership. Helps to have a great mechanic.

Some worry about problems with disturbing old parts. No worry as so much is replaced.
    Frame, brake lines, e-brake cable, rear springs, lower control arms, all needed hardware.
    Basically, it is a full rebuild underneath.
    I had new shocks replaced all around. The labor is free! 98K on the originals!

Truck runs and feels like new. Highly recommended..... and it's free! Just had to pay for a few new items and it wasn't much.

Got the truck Ziebarted. Now everything is sealed well.
  • johnny66johnny66 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for getting back to me . Where are you located? I am in Illinois and I know they started this deal out East. Thanks again, John Hovey
    I, like most Tacoma owners bought my truck because I believed Toyota
    was a company that stood behind their products & you could count on them
    to do the right thing. I am greatly disappointed in how Toyota is handling
    my Toyota Tacoma rusted out frame replacement warranty operation.

I am unemployed at this time & really don’t appreciate the added burden of
    the cost Toyota is putting on me & I believe it is quite unfair.

This is my complaint: I added a class 3, two inch trailer hitch to my 2002 Tacoma.
    It uses 4 bolts, two 10mm factory & two supplied with the new hitch. Well BECAUSE
    the frame is so rusted, one of the 10mm factory bolts broke off when I tried to remove
    it to mount my trailer hitch (I was using a hand ratchet, NOT an air tool). So now I only
    had 3 bolt points for a 4 bolt hitch, and I had to have the hitch welded onto the frame.

Well now BECAUSE the rusted out frame has to be replaced, my trailer hitch I
    normally wouldn’t have done anything with, cannot be removed & reinstalled
    on the replacement Toyota frame. The trailer hitch needs to be replaced BECAUSE the
    frame needs to be replaced – and the hitch was welded BECAUSE of the rusted frame!

I don’t believe my Tacoma should be better than it was before the frame replacement,
    But it shouldn’t be LESS than what I had before the frame replacement either! I have
    petitioned Toyota, (both dealership & corporate) They told me “Sorry, we won’t cover
    your trailer hitch” I believe Toyota caused me this loss and they should be the ones
    to cover the cost of it. Toyota is going to pay $10,000 to $12,000 to do this rusted out
    frame replacement operation. In comparison, why not cover the cost of the trailer hitch (approx. $200) on my $8,000 to $9,000 Tacoma. (And/ or why doesn’t Toyota buy this truck back like they did with others?)

I don’t believe Toyota is doing all they could or should in my case - the lack of
    covering a $200 part is costing them a LOT of ill will. Toyota shouldn’t simply say
    “Sorry”. Toyota needs to do the right thing… and strive for customer satisfaction
    in accomodating my loss as a result of their frame replacement repair.
  • reuserreuser Member Posts: 8
    I feel your pain. Even though Toyota bought back my 1999 (which I'd only had for two years and only had 60,000 miles), when you add in my time spent dealing with the company they hired to implement the buy-back, and the fact that I had to buy another truck in a big hurry (and got a lemon and had to buy new snows and a cap), they created much ill-will with me. They have done a terrible job of customer relations, I feel, on the rusty frame issue, and you are right -- they have never said they were sorry.

Now I just bought a 2010 Tacoma (two days before the recalls were announced), and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I just got a survey asking me to tell them what I thought of the "purchase experience," but they haven't asked me how I feel about the fact that my brand new truck has lost much more of it's value than normal because of the recall issues, and how mad I still am about the rusted frame thing.

They do a piss-poor job of all of this, and they need to start paying better attention. I do feel your pain.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    There is a pretty disgusting AP article that talks about all the money Toyota saved by stalling and weaseling with the Feds regarding a lengthy list of major problems with their vehicles. The frame rust issue is mentioned, along with floor mats, unintended acceleration, etc. I have driven nothing but Toyota trucks for something like 25 years, but now I wonder if the company deserves such loyalty.
  • jakemedicjakemedic Member Posts: 5
    My 98 Tacoma ext cab 4x4 with 115K is on its way down the road. Brought it in for the 3rd time in 18 months, Toyota finally put a whole the size of a 50 cent piece in the passenger side rear, by the front spring mount. The whole frame is weak, they did dent it in many spots though.

In my estimation, the buyback and getting a new truck are two separate deals. The local Toyota dealer seems to think they are one and the same. Lowest price on a new Taco was 1000 under sticker, no loyalty or any other discounts. Granted I got 1.5 KBB Retail (11,100), but I should be getting ready for the next 100K, not spending 28,800 for a new one. They also assumed I didn't want a rental car and said my vehicle was "safe to drive". On the bright side, it helped with the decision that I won't be buying another Toyota product, as this mentality is the same as what got them in trouble.

Thinking that if I am spending 28K on a new Tacoma, might as well get a new FULL SIZE GM, Ford, Dodge or Nissan instead. Less money, nearly the same MPG and none of the bad vibes from Toyota.

My truck was bulletproof, although I am thinking that it was indeed a better vehicle when it was new than the new 2010's are now.......

Experience with the buyback was good, inspected last Wednesday, offer and acceptance Thursday, phone call on Sunday, check will be in my hand on Saturday, a little over a week.

Best of luck with everyone's Frame Rot Issues, I don't think I am going to walk away from Toyota, I am going to run away....Not cause of the recalls, but because they are overpriced and not willing to deal in the least.

Jake
  • bearcatterbearcatter Member Posts: 7
    I'm quite skeptical about this rustproofing "fix". I just received my letter here in Mass to bring my truck in by the end of October to have the rustproofing applied. Apparently Mass finally gave them permission to do the coating.

Does anyone have any information on what they do exactly? Do they actually spray this rustproofing inside the boxed section of frame, as that's where the problem is, as the frame is rusting from the inside out? If they are spraying the inside the enclosed box section of the frame, how are they getting those loose rust flakes out that are built up on the bottom of the boxed section? Do they give the frame a thorough cleaning before applying the coating or do they just encapsulate the salt soaked rust and rust flakes? I'm trying to figure out how much frame prep I need to do before getting this coating, as let's face it, noone cares more about my frame than the guy who owns it. Plus Toyota has alot on their plate going well into the forseeable future. I'm wondering if I should plan on them skimping on frame prep.

This thick coating that they are spraying on the frame, won't that plug the weep holes in the bottom of the frame? My thought is this is just another not well thought out "fix" from Toyota. What I think is going to happen is the inside of the boxed section of frame won't get coated properly due to poor accessibility, salt and water will get in there, nothing will drain properly because the weep holes are plugged by the thick coating, so the interior of the boxed section will always contain moisture. It's common sense that this weep hole plugging coating will just make matters worse. But unfortunately, I have to have my frame coated to qualify for the 15 year extended warranty. I'd just as soon do what I have been doing all along, meaning cleaning and painting the frame each spring, trying to keep the oxygen away from it.
    2002 Tacoma with 90,000 miles on it...

A photo is worth a thousand words....

Photobucket
  • jakemedicjakemedic Member Posts: 5
    Wow, your 2002 was much worse than my 98 which they bought back over the weekend!!!! And the owner of the dealer said that they fixed it in 2000 when I asked about what was different in the new trucks. I knew they were replacing frames on those trucks.

My current problem is what to buy next? I originally wanted another Tacoma, and was planning on new, but they were not giving me anything extra for buying another one, especially with the difficulties they are having.

I have to wonder, what did they do different on the 2005+ Tacoma that will keep me from having the same problem again? Good luck with your frame rust ventures!!
    Jake
    Please keep inserted photos to 640 pixels wide - the page structure of the forums is such that it will not realign to accommodate oversize pictures.

Thanks!
  • mykidosmykidos Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at purchasing a 1999 Tocoma PreRunner(120,000 miles). Now I'm reading all these issues about the frames rusting. My question is IF I buy it and there are rust issues will they replace the frame if I'm not the original owner? Any HELP is appreciated.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    edited March 2010
    are you kidding me? even if they pay me, I would not risk owning a vehicle with potential rust issue...
    "I'm looking at purchasing a 1999 Tocoma PreRunner(120,000 miles). Now I'm reading all these issues about the frames rusting. My question is IF I buy it and there are rust issues will they replace the frame if I'm not the original owner? Any HELP"

Yes, Toyota does cover the frame for 15 years whether or not you're
    the original owner. But you still might not be happy with the coverage.

I'm in the process of trying to get my frame done. The dealer is waiting
    on Toyota to ship my frame now. Its been 9 days & counting. They will
    NOT cover the loss of my trailer hitch!
  • mykidosmykidos Member Posts: 2
    That's kinda my thought at this point, but I'm having it check out anyway tomorrow and see what my mechanic says.
    A 1999 Tacoma would not get its frame replaced - that only applies to 2001-2004 models. The 1999 would be repurchased and scrapped, and as an owner after the program was announced, you would only be entitled to a repurchase price equal to what you paid for the truck. This was done to keep people from buying Tacomas from unsuspecting owners and rolling them over for the cash... those who own 1995-2000 trucks at the time the program was announced are entitled to 15 x the KBB Excellent value of the truck.

• kyle119kyle119 Member Posts: 1
    bruce41 - How bad was your frame? I just discovered my 2001 Tacoma frame has 2 fist size holes in it. I took it straight to the dealer and they took pictures and went through all the paperwork and sent it on up to Toyota to make a decision. They put me back in the truck until they heard something from Toyota. Did they offer you both a frame replacement or a buy back? I really hope they offer a buyback.
  • guzziv8guzziv8 Member Posts: 3
    Very informative site, thank you in advance to anyone with info. I bought a 2000 Tacoma Xcab in Jan of 2009 from a KIA dealership which was sold as a certified used vehicle so I was clearly not buying to take advantage of the buyback. In fact I was not aware of any such problems. The truck had 36,000 miles on it and was in excellent condition. Fast forward a year and 2 months and the crossmembers are almost completely rotted off and there are quite a large number of rot spots on the frame. This frame appeared in excellent condition when I purchased it. It's going in on Mon for an inspection but I gather the best I can hope for is a purchase price buyout? Which KBB price is used if it's used? Retail, Private Sale or Trade in? The one good thing is I think I overpayed for the truck. I really thought it would last me 200,000 miles.
  • doubleusndoubleusn Member Posts: 20
    After owning 3 Tacomas in a row, I just sold my 09 TRD DCab.

1998 4x4 V6 SR5 XCab = Blew both rear axle seals twice.
    2002 4x4 V6 SR5 DCab = Axle seals, timing belt went early, frame replacement.
    2009 4x4 V6 TRD DCab = Build quality not what it use to be, tranny issue, rear leafs, and now Toyota's many recalls.

In the end I think I gave it the 'old college try' but Toyota's quality is not what it use to be. In the old days the bed would rot out, but everything else was bulletproof. The $$ for these is no longer justified given the ever slipping quality, thus so many other vehicles are to know be considered.

Toyota got too big too fast and quality and value slipped terribly.

Cheers
    -wsn
    As an owner after the program was announced (March 2008), all you will get is what you paid for it... make sure you have the original purchase receipt. The 1.5x KBB-Excellent offer is only for those who owned the truck when the program was announced.

Well I got my rusted frame replacement operation
    done @ the Toyota dealership. Just as I thought,
    there are plenty of things they didn't get right or
    do very well. You just can't tear apart a truck like
    that & have it as good factory built.

So the week I got mine back, I sold it. I understand
    some folks think owning a rebuilt is a great thing -
    and others like me want nothing to do with it.

I wish everyone the best with this issue. :sick:
  • pbfj2010pbfj2010 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Anyone contacted TOYOTA with a 99 that passed test and still got Toyota to buy back. My frame rot is significant compared to other 99's but no holes. Utah-CO truck. I'm going to take it into other dealers for second and 3rd opinions and find out what they know.
    My angle is why should I risk my family in a truck with an issue that may come up down the road and what if I'm too late in inspecting it.
  • 1blackfish1blackfish Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 98 TACO WITH 80 K MILES MINE PASSED RUST INSPECTION ABOUT ONE YEAR AGO BUT NOW I AM SEEING RUST BUT ITS NOT THROUGH ( NO HOLES) YET IT WAS ALLWAYS IN THE GARAGE NOW IT OUT SIDE WHY BECAUSE I PUT MY WIFES LEXUS IN THE GARAGE THE LAST FEW YEARS THEY GAVE ME A EXTENTED 10 YEARS MORE ON THE FRAME.I ALL SO HAVE A SOFT WARE PROBLEM WITH THE LEXUS ES TRANSMISSION SOFT WARE THE SHIFTING IS CRAZY ..BEEN COMPLANING SINCE IT WAS NEW.THEY ARE NOT PURSUITING PERFECTION ON THERE LEXUS OR TOYOTA PRODUCTS..I KEEP TELLING THEM IT SOFE WARE THEY KEEP TELLING ME ITS DRIVE BY WIRE.. AND THATS THE NATURE OF THE BEAST LIVE WITH IT..I DID SEARCH AND GUESS WHAT THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF DRIVERS COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS MODEL TRANSMISSION SHIFTING WE MUST ALL BE NUT AND CRAZY IN THERE EYES..NOW THERE PAYING WITH THE RUNAWAY BRAKE PROBLEM..ALSO ( DRIVE BY WIRE).HAY THEY SOLD MORE VEHICLES THAN ANY OF THE BIG THREE THIS LAST QUARTER...JUST LOOK UP( LEXUS ES330 TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS)
    "As an owner after the program was announced (March 2008), all you will get is what you paid for it... make sure you have the original purchase receipt. The 1.5x KBB-Excellent offer is only for those who owned the truck when the program was announced." ...... As it turns out this is not true, at least in my case. My truck failed the test and I just received my offer and it's 1.5x KBB value. I have owned it 1 year and 4 months. The dealership manager said there are safeguards in place to prevent people trying to take advantage of the program but he did not go into detail. The representative I was assigned was very nice and it has gone smoothly so far. Sad to see my truck go and I am going to look at Toyota Tacomas mainly because of how this experience has gone.
    That's certainly counter to what we have been told previously... the only scenario that would make sense is if the owner at the time the program was announced had the truck inspected and it was cleared by Toyota to stay on the road. By any chance, did you have a Carfax report on the truck when you purchased it? That mighyt show if the truck had been inspected.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host.
    Well, I bought it from a major dealership and it did have a carfax report on it but nothing about the frame inspection was listed. When I say major dealership, it wasn't a Toyota dealership but it was a reputable car dealership, not one of those buy at the auction, 30 cars on the lot dealerships, if that makes any sense. It's possible it was cleared via inspection because the original owner had it three years and then passed away. The truck sat in the garage for the better part of 5 years except for the neighbor coming over and starting it up and using it for lawn maintainance for the widow. She then sold it to the neighbor for very little, he then traded it in within 2 months on a Dodge 4x4 and I purchased it from the dealer. When I bought it the frame was spotless, the whole truck was as new for that matter with only 32000 miles on it. As it sits right now it looks like it's a two year old truck with a few dings and rubs. The frame actually looks great except where the gas tank and rear shock mounts are. It is really going to hell there and they did put a hammer through the frame in a few spots. I figured the buyout at 12000 and change if it was the 1.5x KBB and thats the offer I got to the dollar. The only sad part is after paying off my loan I don't think I can afford a new Toyota Xcab and the used market has really been depleted by this.
  • ejsegravejsegrav Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 with the frame rust problem. Diagnosis is that I need a new frame. The service dept said that all Toyota would do for me is a new frame. I am leary of having that drastic of surgery done on my truck so I am pushing the dealer for a trade in.

Anyone get Toyota to actually give them the MSRP for their truck? Was it MSRP from the original purchase price or todays price? Did you have to go to the regional Toyota office of a local dealer?

Any guidance regarding my options?

Thanks
  • clunkypacificaclunkypacifica Member Posts: 7
    I took my 2001 Tacoma in on a whim for the frame inspection and they found a small hole on the drivers side before the rear tire. The dealer took photos and in 2 days had the ok to replace the frame. It took one week to get the frame and another 10 days to do the work. They paid for a loner, they even let me get a truck from Enterprise. The only problem I had was the 2 inch lift I had on the truck. I had an "add a leaf" that they could not put back due to some policy that they could not modify the new Toyota leaf spring. You get new leaf springs and control arms with the frame replacement. All in all everything worked out great. I am the 2nd owner and the truck has 76k on it. Total cost at the dealer Zero! They even put new rear shocks I brought in for free.">
    edited April 2010
    Count yourself as lucky!
    I had the frame replaced on my 2001 AC and couldn't be happier.
    Lots of new parts. Frame, Lower Control Arms, Rear springs, brake lines, e-brake cable, new antifreeze, brake fluid, A/C recharge, free labor.
    Took 4 days from dropping off the truck.
    I had new shocks added (You pay for the shocks but the installation labor is free.)
    Truck rides like new and NO new car payment!

A 2001-2004 Tacoma will get the frame replacement if it fails. No option of a buy-back.

Replacing the frame isn't any big deal. Trained mechanic is working with new parts, the same parts they replace everyday.

The mechanic saw the bill sent to Toyota.
    Over $11,000!
    Glad I didn't have to pay for the frame replacement.
  • jenner1jenner1 Member Posts: 1
    I contacted my dealer very early in the process with my 2001 Taco and both the dealer and my case worker named Autumn stalled and stalled and only just recently was I able to get my inspection done and of course it failed.Since the time of first contact and now I see many 01 & 02 owners have been able to get 150% KBB, but it now appears Toy only wants to replace the frames.
    Any one had any luck in fighting this? Is there any movement to get a class action suit to push Toy to do the right thing?
    Anyone with a 2001-2004 who got the 150% KBB would have been early in the program. Buy-back is now available only to 1995.5-2000 Tacomas.
    2001-2004 Tacomas get the frames replaced. They have replacement frames for them. Not so with the 1995.5-2000 Tacomas.
    Toyota is doing the right thing with the no cost frame replacement. Lots of new parts.
  • HOBPHOBP Member Posts: 7
    Frame was replaced on my 2002 TRD D-Cab in February 2009 (Note: Was the FIRST replacement done at that dealer). List of parts on my invoice included: Qty 1: 46420-35542 - "CABLE ASSY, PARKI" - also saw same part # on another poster's provided list.

Was setting my Parking Brake last week when the handle pulled out a foot - almost in my lap. Mechanic took a look under and said the front cable was broken - fully rusted through at a point near the grommet. Said rear cable looks OK / a LOT newer.

So - my question is - did the "CABLE ASSY, PARKI" included with the Frame Replacement Kit include BOTH front and rear cables, or JUST the rear. If both then maybe my dealer for whatever reason did not receive the front and just put the old failing one back? (I rarely use the P-Brake and probably only pulled it 2 - 3 times in the past year, and not as hard as that last time.)

If so, can't believe they would be that careless/stupid (probably had a separate one in stock), but then nowadays....

If any of you know the answer please advise.

Thanks Much!
  • fandogfandog Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Tacoma Buy Back program is still going on?
    This is the program where Toyota is supposed to buy back your rusted out Tacoma for 150% of the KBB value?
  • toolman4243toolman4243 Member Posts: 5
    Had my frame replaced last summer on my 2001 Taco and this April my first state inspection since the replacement, the inspector pulled the P-brake and he had to pull it really far out for it to hold enough to pass. My problem was that it wouldn't release all the way and you could feel the drag when u hit the gas to accelerate. Thought it had something to do with the cable they replaced so brought it into the dealer to check it out. Well it wasn't the cable it was the part that the cable pulls that swivels on a pin and is spring loaded. Come to find out the pin had rusted up, probably because i never use the P-brake except at inspection time. Dealership said it would be 3 hours of labor to do the job at at RATE of 104.00 a hr. I can see that the recession hasn't effected the dealerships at all, lol. Well being out of work right now, i didn't want to spend that much right now so they reset the brake so it wasn't engaged at all, just can't pull it again or it will stick again. At least this gives me till next april to get it fixed.
  • HOBPHOBP Member Posts: 7
    toolman4243:

Bought my 2002 Taco used 09/04 - 67K miles on it - mostly highway. P-Brake giving problems 11/07 due (according to dealer) I hardly ever used it - "need to actuate frequently to maintain functioning & lube etc". Parts you refer to / your dealer wanted to replace are bell crank / pivots - they replaced mine along w/ the mount bracket / re-surfaced rear drums / cleaned & lubed rear backing plates at ttl cost $459.20 - labor at the time (Upstate NY) was $70.00/hr.

Then 01/09 the P-Brake light would not go out (the FEW times I used it) and dealer had to "free up rear brake pivots". One can of "Penetrate Spray" at $6.00 and a FULL HOUR labor to spray it on / hang around for the "free up" - $72.50/hr.

Before doing anything I will wait to hear more here re my original P-Brake cable(s) question related to my Frame Replacement, but after the eventual fix (same situation as you - out of work) I do intend to use it regularly - and will periodically lube all of the connections (pivots / cranks / whatever).