Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Navigation System Questions

Comments

• x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    "2010 MDX: Expect a Mid-Model Change with new front and rear ends with a slightly modified interior, expect shuffling of the trim levels and colours and expect a possible V8 engine from the 2010 RL if produced."
    http://hondavehicles.blogspot.com/2007/07/20092010-model-changes.html

says nothing about getting the new hdd system found in the 09 TL or the 8.0 800x480 res screen.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Of course not but it might happen. I've seen a pic of the 2010 MDX and it looks quite nice. It has the power plenum but the front end is a bit like the 09 TL but the Power plenum grille isn't as ugly as though. In fact it looks quite nice on the MDX. No v8 engine though. The RL has been delayed due to the economy. As for a v8, there is no time table for such an engine. The HDD system seems likely since the previous MDX facelifts have had upgraded nav systems. The new NAV system has the 800x480 display which makes it look so much nicer along with the improved hardware.
    if you've seen a pic you should share otherwise noone believes.
    My description is quite accurate of the pic. You can believe me m'kay. The front end looks like the current MDX meets the 09 TL.
  • williams_gwilliams_g Member Posts: 2
    We have an '09 Tech but my wife is not too hot on the Navi.

The main problem is that when she searches by name it pulls up stuff all over the US (rather than just nearby). Apparently this works correctly when searching by category but is useless when trying to search by name. The categories are confusing and overly broad sometimes.

Anyway...does anyone know a workaround for this?
    You could retrofit it but it will be expensive.
  • buyusedbuyused Member Posts: 11
    I have had the same trouble on occasion; it once took me 20 minutes to find the nearest drug store on the system and only 10 to get there. (Oh if the Early Pioneers could hear us bitching...)

I learned to treat it like early internet searches...think early Google... if it gets confused, just broaden your search and narrow it down.

Good luck.
  • hodog16hodog16 Member Posts: 53
    I usually like searching in the categories and city vicinity so I can avoid searching for restaurants that are 3000+ miles away. I will agree that's an annoying feature. Another way around is to look up the phone number of the place you are trying to find if that is available.

x5killer: Once your car was titled and figuratively "driven off the lot" the value dropped by a few thousand probably, no matter how many miles you have put on it. Unless the 2010's are incredible, I'd just be content with the 2009 and if nothing else wait until the overhaul coming in 2012 for the MY2013!
    The new HDD navi system found in the 09 TL is actually made by Pioneer. You'll need to buy a mapdisc at acuranavi.com and they've found a way to limit piracy. You have to enter a code to activate the map update. You can only use it on 1 system at a time. This eliminates the ebay market for 2nd hand map updates. The new NAV only has a single disc CD/DVD-A slot. You only can rip audio discs. The 09 MDX NAV is made by Alpine.

The external DVD drive is no longer present in the new system. It's now integrated into the radio. The new Pioneer units are flash memory based. The 09 MDX uses an 8" screen but at a lower resolution. The new system doesn't have a plug and play method to play DVD's on the front screen yet.

All I can say is that it won't be a cheap retrofit. However they might just cheap out and keep the current system but upgrade it to include XM weather, USB/iPod, and Bluetooth audio.
    so the 2010 nav system is made by Pioneer while the 09 is Alpine? damn, Pioneer is much better from what I know and makes the best head units with hdd, nav and everything.

what do you mean by the external dvd drive? you mean for the nav , the dvd drive under the seat? what about for dvd res? there is still a sep dvd slot up front and other slot for cds right? The 09 has an 8" screen and the 2010 is going to have a higher res but you didnt' say what size screen? same smaller or larger?

"The new system doesn't have a plug and play method to play DVD's on the front screen yet. " meaning the 2010?

so the 2009 does have a way to view the dvd on the front screen? how?

with my last midsize suv the edmunds owners forum for it was so great and ppl shared all the tips and tricks and modifications etc. you could view the dvd on the front nav screen when the parking break was engaged so you could just engage that one click which didn't actually engage the parking brake but allowed you to view the movie on the front screen while driving (for the front seat passenger) or you could disengage the wire for which was a failry simple mod and it also turned off the daytime running lights which was burnign some ppls bulbs out.

there was a failry easy way to disengage the seatbelt chime and there was 200 ppl on the thread saying that you shouldn't do that and seatbelts save lives. every thread i searched on the internet on how to disable the acura seatbelt chime was 100's of ppl saying how you should wear yourseabelt and big flame wars debates and arguments which is so annoying. noone asks for that opinion. we know its important to wear your seatbelt at all times. but when i'm pulling in my garage or parking my car i dont need to hear the annoying chime. we should ahve the right to turn it off we choose and discuss it without ppl making it a seatbelt debate. its the law in many states so there is no discussion on whether you should wear it. its not like disabling the chime disables the seatbelt itself.

i'm sure there is a way and just wish ppl could share that info without others chiming in their 2 cents on the debate of seatbelts. again its a chime, not disabling the belt itself.

so yeah long story short. how can we on the 09 mdx:
    1. view on the front nav screen the dvd playing on the res?
    and
    2. disable the seatbelt chime.

i think those are my biggest nav and tech questions.

as far as the 09 to 2010 comparision, i asked some good questions about your post which hopefully you rv65 and/or others can answer but ultimately the more i find that is actually a decent minor upgrade of the 2010 ill just make myself annoyed I didn't wait and in the meantime i've been enjoying my 09 since may and got a great price before the inventory really and before the 10 comes out.

like someone else said, at this point i should just wait for the new redesign overhaul in 2012 for 2013 my and probably even wait till 2013 when the 2014's comes out so i can get he 2013 being the first year of the redesign for less. plus ppl will think 2013 is an unlucky number so you will probably be able to get good deals on the 2013 though sometimes with the first year of a new redesign they work out a few kinks in the next couple model years so not always the best to get the first year of a major redesign/overhaul
    The new nav uses an 8.0" WVGA display. There is no DVD drive under seat with the new system. It's all integrated into the head unit. The Pioneer system is nice but the HFP isn't quite as good as the current one.
    ah ok so same size screen just wvga so its higher res. What is HFP?
  • grandzugrandzu Member Posts: 26
    Prob hands free phone.
    I can now confirm that the 2010 is getting the next gen HDD navi system with the WVGA display. It won't be a cheap retrofit though. If someone could pull that off then it would be amazing.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    What's the procedure and cost for updating the maps in these HDD nav systems?

Also, do you know if the 2010's audio system will still be able to play DVD-Audio disks?
    oh thanks for that pic though its just a rendered drawing and a blurry one at that
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-image?image=832857/2010mdx-01.jpg

doing a comparison with that and a pic of the 09
    http://www.acuraofnorthtoronto.com/au/files/905ACURANORTHTORONTO/acura%20mdx%202- .bmp

the main thing I notice besides the grill is those large air intakes which are pretty cool. somewhat porsche like. overall though i dont like the new front end. the headlights seem the same, the grill is plain ugly and weak with just a top piece and then either open at the bottom or black grill underneath the metal plenum grill. smaller A

looks like they kept the fog lights mostly teh same size which is good they didnt' make them smaller but they are recessed which I dont like. it just looks weaker overall.

only thing I like is those air intakes but overall still lik the 09 front end better.

thanks for the pic.
    Yes the 2010 will play DVD-Audio Disks

For the 2010 model year they increased the HDD size. Now it's a 60 GB unit that stores up to 15 GB of Music.

This is all preliminary but I think you insert a DVD into the slot and it will update it. However this will take about an hour and then you have to enter a security code meaning you'd have to do it once. Hope this helps.
    x5killer,

Retrofitting the new nav is feasible but it would take a lot of work. You'd have to replace the rear DVD screen if your car has it, replace the radio and ditch the DVD drive, new screen, replace the HFP, and possibly replace the backup camera module. I think you can use the same camera but not sure. It would be a very expensive upgrade.
    rv65, thanks for the information.
    I still think the update information is preliminary. I do know that www.acuranavi.com will have information on how to do it. I think it has some sort of ID that lets you get a security code. Maybe you buy a coupon at acuranavi.com and let the dealer do it. Infiniti requires you to purchase a coupon and then go to your dealership to have them update the GPS. However Lexus requires you to get it at the dealer. Those HDD Navigation systems use proprietary update tools that aren't available to the general public.
  • nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    For the 2009 MDX with Navigation, what does the screen display when not in Map mode? Does it show trip information including avg mpg, avg mph, distance until gas tank is empty, a history of mpg etc.? I had this on my 2005 TSX and my current 2006 non-nav MDX. Wondering if it still exists. Thanks.
  • jkl99jkl99 Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased 2009 MDX with Navigation two weeks ago and wondering how to show the Trip Information to the big screen as well, but I cannot find the way to do it yet. I am very interesting to learn whether anyone know how to do this or there is no way to do this on 2009 MDX with Navigation system. Thanks,
  • adkinsdwadkinsdw Member Posts: 3
    There is no Trip Information screen on the '09 Nav screen. My RDX had this and I miss it! :cry:
  • nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    So if the navigation system is off, does anything display on the screen or is it just blank? Where does all the trip info appear if at all? I would think you can see what your average MPG is etc somewhere. Thanks.
    The screen is black when off. But it can display audio info if desired when not in map mode.
    The MPG info is in the MID in the dash, which also shows tire pressure, outside temp, and used for key settings.
  • jkl99jkl99 Member Posts: 11
    I am disappointed about MDX doesn't show other useful information at the Navigation screen. It will be very helpful if the Trip Computer, Keyless Setting, as well as the Bluetooth and other settings can be done on the big screen. The Navigation system I have on the 2006 BMW 330i is way better than the one on the newly purchased 2009 MDX. Am I asking too much?
    Updates for the new HDD system is fairly easy. You can call the nav fufillment center or order them at acuranavi.com/. There is a caveat. It can only be updated on one systems. You'll need your VIN number and a NAV ID. This prevents people from copying the disc and using it on another vehicle. It should take about an hour to update it. Hope this helps.

Edit: You can preview the update status in the new system. Thats a very cool feature though you'll need the update disc.
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    We have an 2006 MDX (which we love) and want to update the Nav software. Do I have to go to the dealer? Is it an easy do it yourself project? Any idea on cost? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Its a DVD that you just swap out the old for the new.
    It might not be any cheaper...

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-AcuraNorthAmerica- -Site/-/-/-/Default-Start
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    Thanks. Do you happen to know if it changes the system in regards to being able to make changes while driving. Errrrrr, I mean so that the passenger can work the navi while the other person is driving. I know some newer systems don't allow navi operation while the car is moving. My wife would not be happy if she couldn't mes with her system anymore while the car was moving.
  • maxzoey1maxzoey1 Member Posts: 34
    I have a 2009 Tech and I am disappointed with the backup camera. There seems to be alot of glare, and in bright sunlight both the nav screen and the backup camera are washed out. I am continuously fiddling with the brightness, contrast, and black levels. I wish that the backup sensors were standard on the car. In Canada last year I believe I could have installed the sensors for around $700, this year Acura wants $1100. Any suggestions out there
  • andrewmdxandrewmdx Member Posts: 2
    Hi. Would the Pioneer unit work with the other capabilities of the touch screen info center? Right now my nav unit isn't working and I just had a major service done to the car and the info center is stuck on the "Please check disk" screen and I have no access to any functions at all.
  • andrewmdxandrewmdx Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. Last year my nav unit gave up. It would boot to the screen with the warnings in yellow then switch to a screen that said that I had to go to the dealer. I go to the dealer and they said that the unit itself cannot be repaired. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, the dealer then informed me that could get a new unit for $1500. I laughed in his face and left. I have just learned to live without it and if I got lost I used Verizon Navigator on my phone. It's not the same thing but it helps. Now I just had a major service done to my car and the info center won't start because it wants to download software from the disk but the disk isn't reading. Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass the nav unit so that the info center will work? Has anyone ever had a nav unit repaired successfully? Has anyone purchased another nav unit to put in the car that works with the info center? Any and all replies will be appreciated. :(
  • rad4216rad4216 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2005 MDX that obviously requires a navigation update. Is the 2010 manufacturer offered DVD map update ($185.00) the best option and will it work with the 2005 MDX? If not, any other suggestions? Any difficulties between the 2005 edition versus the 2010 version?
    edited February 2010
    The 2010 White DVD Map Update for 2005 RL and MDX v4.81 will work for the 05 MDX.
    For the changes between 05 and 10, you gotta read each years updates but according to Navteq and Acura it should have no difficulties.
    http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-AcuraNorthAmerica- - -Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=.VgKCghB.hwAAAEch- - CN9YZDi&ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES
  • alwaysdrvngalwaysdrvng Member Posts: 1
    my 2003 mdx navigation system is not working. the screen comes up and show the nav screen and then blinks. i can't get to the control panels. the touch screen will not work. when i turn on the heat the ac comes on too. it's a bit cold here.... :confuse:
  • araliceaaralicea Member Posts: 2
    :mad: I have a 2005 MDX Tour/Nav for which I purchased the 2010 Nav upgrade. After 20 days of using the new version, I did not notice any significant improvements to my previous version. I decided to return the DVD and now the only way I can re-install my previous version is to take my MDX to the dealer and pay them to reset the system. I call NAVTEQ and they say there is nothing they can do. Acura customer service says we do not have any agreement with NAVTEQ to reset your system and you need to pay us to fix it. So, I am wondering if there is a way I can reset my system without going to the dealer.
    Thank you!!!! :mad:
    Assuming you have the old version DVD, you ccan try this:
    Reverting Back to Old Firmware

When you put in your old disk and come up to the "Error" screen do the following :

1) Hold down MAP/GUIDE, MENU and CANCEL at the same time
    2) This brings up a Menu
    3) From the Menu, select "Version"
    4) Then select "Download"
    5) This will download the old disc into your system.
  • araliceaaralicea Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. I will try and report back.

Alexis
  • katewakatewa Member Posts: 24
    Hi - I'm wondering if you did the nav system upgrade to your '06? I want to buy it but I want to know if there are any bugs before I do. I live in a very rural area and really depend on my GPS (since I have to drive about 2 hours to do major shopping) and I don't want to have to worry about it not working when I need it.

Thanks.
  • brs829brs829 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, does anyone know how to turn off the voice read back which reads the title of each song on your ipod or radio station in your program list as you scroll through it without turning off the voice commands for the navigation system? When listening to my iPod or radio, every song or station I scroll through without selecting gets read back to me which turns down the audio while it reads me the song or station name. Its extremely annoying.
  • bricklayabricklaya Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have the same use with my 03 MDX. Did you find out any answers in regards to this matter.
  • blondfarfblondfarf Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    The 2009 MDX GPS is useless. We actually just purchased a Garmin and mounted it on the GPS screen. The MDX has us going down one way streets the wrong way, it could not find Montreal Quebec in Canada, and ACURA / Honda keeps telling us to contact the supplier who will do nothing about the unit.
    DO not touch the 2009 MDX GPS. The dealers tell you there is NOTHING they can do, and HONDA keeps saying "we didn't make it"
    NOT BAD FOR AN EXTRA $5,300 + TAX :cry:
    I've only had my 2010 a couple of weeks but so far it seems spot on. I had gotten so used to Garmin portables that I was a little reluctant to to switch to the in-dash GPS, but so far it seems very accurate.

One thing that I do like about Garmin is being able to buy lifetime map updates for around $100 (which I did) as long as you own the unit. I don't like the prospect of forking over $150-$200 every time I want to update the maps. But the bigger built-in screen along with the other features you get with the Tech Package made it worth the extra money to me.

We'll see how happy I am in a year from now...
  • jack3636jack3636 Member Posts: 2
    Everyone I speak to who has an MDX (and they all love the cars) has horrible problems with the nav systems. For example, insert a store name (say "Target" or "Sears") and up pops a location from 2000 miles away!!! It is not that important where the Target in Seattle Washington is located whne you reside in Florida. I have the list of all Starbucks locations in Riverside, California, but since we live in Atlanta, that is pretty useless. Any word on when Acura is going to address this defect?
  • mohollandmoholland Member Posts: 6
    I have an '07 MDX and we've been pretty happy with the SUV. It is by no means perfect but it doesn't seem to have any glaring flaws. The NAV in my opinion is pretty good. I've used better but for the most part it is a good NAV system. If you start your search by using the categories, you can sort by distance... for instance if you want to find the nearest Starbucks, go to categories, restaurants and then keyword. Type in 'Starbu' and then on the next screen, select by distance. Granted, you should have to work around the system in this manner but it does work.
  • cloviskidcloviskid Member Posts: 23
    After reading a couple dozen comments on this blog, I have come to the conclusion that no one reads the navigation manual. Thus, all the problems and complaints.

My 2010 MDX is on order but I have already downloaded the manuals and know how to work most every feature on the vehicle.

It is so simple to find the nearest STARBUCKS by name, without going through the categories, etc. Just request STARBUCKS. Then, according to the simple instructions in the navigation manual,.....

"If you move the Interface Dial down while the list is displayed, the display will switch to SORT BY DISTANCE or SORT BY NAME.

During my test drive, I had no problem using voice commands for the air conditioner, stereo, and the navigation system. You have to know the proper commands to give and it worked for me the first time I tried it.

All these complaints from those who, apparently, haven't bothered to read the operating manual. The instructions are there, and I found the 2010 MDX navigation system to be one of the best. You can even enter map coordinates instead of an address! You have a choice to be routed only on VERIFIED roads, or you can select the system to also use UN-verified roads.

This system is far superior to the system in my Infiniti.
  • katewakatewa Member Posts: 24
    Well, good for you!

You know, there are some of us who learn better by being shown or told how to do something - especially when it comes to tech gadgets.
  • yossarian3yossarian3 Member Posts: 30
    I finally got around to reading the posts in this forum. I wanted to chime in that we also lost the NAV in our 2004 MDX (since traded in). The NAV/screen would work on occasion, but we always had to input the code in order to get it to work. Sometimes, the GPS would find the satellites. Other times, it didn't but at least the A/C controls and backup camera worked!

We didn't care that much about the GPS since the unit was far inferior to a Garmin Nuvi. But the inability to control A/C was ridiculous.

On top of that, we had an issue with our TPMS sensors and the TPMS light would come on within a few miles of driving. This happened even after we replaced our tires. Both the tire dealer and an Acura dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong.

The car had just over $100K miles and was running quite well, but we had no confidence in the electronics and figure we may as well cut our losses. The cost of a major electronic repair could have approached 25% or more of the car's value.