Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Navigation System Questions

Comments

• grandzugrandzu Member Posts: 26
    Using voice command you can say view entire route or say directions and it will show what the next move will be.
    And like like someone said you hit cancel it will take you to the previous screen.
  • scuba01scuba01 Member Posts: 29
    Use the split screen option. Shows current road and the next two turns.
  • ljp6ljp6 Member Posts: 5
    In an earlier post I stated that my wife just purchased a 04 Acura MDX w/ touring pkg. We have no information booklet to go by as yet. I have been playing with the control buttons on the Nav screen and have learned as stated there that my database info is 20030902 and the software version is 1.1000. Can I update to a newer version? Is the DVD that I am using located (stored) in the nav unit or is it in a memory chip located somewhere in the system? What Version update will it take on this 2004 MDX model? I am flying in the blind on this --never had one before. Anything (at all) someone can add to my "0" knowledge base would be very helpful to me. Oh yes where on the car is this unit that the disc goes into located?

Happy holidays
    Lou
  • crvexl4wdcrvexl4wd Member Posts: 35
    Can we put Lat/ Long also to get the direction or always it has to be address only. Due to work I have to go many places using Lat/ Long and if someone can tell how to do that then it would be great. I have 2008 with Technology package.
  • jfk444jfk444 Member Posts: 3
    08 MDX, how do I ask the Nav to find a coffee house. Cannot find the comand for coffee house. It can find a hydrogen station, not sure how often I will need one of them.
  • andre12andre12 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2008 Acura MDX which came with a 3 month subscription to XM, including live NAV traffic updates. Herein lies the problem! I haven't been able to get any traffic updates to date, even though I've passed several accidents, wrok zones, etc. They're suppose to pop up as yellow lozanges on the Nav screen. I live in the Philadelphia area (which is covered by XM Nav) and am also looking at 1/2 mile display. I think this should all work seamlessly? What am I doing wrong? Most of the time, the "Show traffic incident" button is greyed out, as if unavailable. Also, the traffic icon is greyed out most of the time on the icon bar. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • wtpwtp Member Posts: 1
    this is 2nd mdx and last nav had the previous destination as an actual address.
    the 08 previous destinations are listed as a DATE ( for what good this does is totaly beyond me ) As a realtor i used previous destinations to show properties. I called Acura tech and the dealerships. They have no idea why it shows a date rather than an address ( in fact sometimes its an address sometimes a date with numbers after it. - seemingly indicating how many previous destinations on that date ? Once you choose a date as a previous destination it then asks you an inane question which Acura doesn't know what that means " do you want to replace ".

They are working on it but i dont have much hope. Seems the function of previous destination doesn't have much purpose in the new version. Hopefully there is some work around for this. Or a trick to getting the previous destinations to be addresses in the list rather than the date.
    any thoughts ??
  • mrmike6by9mrmike6by9 Member Posts: 1
    The manual for my '08 says the drive for the nav system is located under the driver's seat. You will need to order an update maps disc. Sorry, I can't contribute more, I've only had the car 4 days

YMMV
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    Hopefully you already have your answers. If not,.....

The DVD is located under the front passenger seat and is accessed from the front of the seat. A door drops down and the DVD can be ejected and inserted.

Alpine Electronics supplies the MDX NAV and the map disks. I purchased and installed an updated version from them for $99. Be sure that you know the NAV "pin number" before you try and change the disk. It will ask you for it once you insert a new map disk.
  • hemorsehemorse Member Posts: 34
    No touch screen, instead it uses voice commands and a rotating dial similar to the BMW.

Does anyone know how to get to the "edit" screen to delete a stored adress in the address book in a 2008 MDX?
    Can someone please tell me how I get to the edit screen to delete or edit an address in the address book? The manual tells you to go to the edit screen, but I can't find a way to get there.
    Thanks
    Press the SETUP button then the menu will have a choice for editing the saved address book.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Choosing whether or not to spring for the $3,000 Navigation System (and backup camera) was the biggest dilemma in getting my new MDX. Ultimately I decided not to get the Nav system for a couple of reasons.

1. Systems with the Nav system have worse residual value than the base model, which indicates that even the banks/manufacturer know that the technology will be obsolete long before the car is.

2. Lack of traffic re-routing. A traffic system is great, but it's only really useful if it will automatically re-calculate your route based on traffic conditions. Letting you see icons on the screen and colored lines for traffic density is of rather limited use to me. I'd rather get a traffic alert and a choice to automatically re-route me around the problem.

After test driving the MDX several times it became apparent to me that the $600 upper end Garmin I had was better than what came in the MDX, and could be swapped out again at a later date for much less than the $3000 the Acura technology option cost. Possibly if the Acura Tech Package included other features like keyless ignition, etc, I might have opted for it.
  • kcorbett78kcorbett78 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have any additional comments on whether or not the real time traffic feature actually works or is helpful. I am trying to decide between the MDX and the RX 350 and this is one of the superior features that the MDX seems to offer.

Thanks!
    I went to the setup screen. There isn't anything there to edit an address, just a waypoint. Can you be anymore specific?
    Thanks. :confuse:
  • barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    For the first several months after purchasing my 2007 MDX (New), I worked with the Nav system with 100% failure. It does not recognize my voice, is virtually impossible to use manually and is probably the most useless piece of gear I have ever seen.

There! I feel better. Glad you guys enjoy yours.

P.S. The screen also washes out completely if the sun is out. Only visible in the dark.

Other than this minor problem, the MDX is perfect!
    OK, I found it!

To edit or delete an address, you have to hit the "setup" button, then go to "personal information", then click on "address" and it will bring up the edit screen. Why would it have been so difficult to put that in the manual? :mad:
    I have an '08 MDX with the Tech package and the NAV traffic feature has NEVER worked for me, even though I'm supposedly in an area (Philadelphia) that's covered by the system. I never see any alerts, even though I'm in 1/2 mile view (and believe me, I pass traffic incidents on a daily basis). I do like the system, though I have to concur with others who stated that you can probably get a much better NAV system for a fraction of the price (e.g. Garmin). If I had to start over, I would have bought a unit after the fact. Good luck.
    The system is only as good as the local agencies who report the data to XM. In other words, it is not automatic when a traffic incident occurs. Usually, when dispatch reports the incident to the web, it is the equivilant of a multiple email which would also encompass XM, who theoretically rebroadcast it to our vehicles. Therefore, there are several steps needed, to make this function. I think you also need to go to "icons" and be sure you have the traffic incident (accident) icon feature turned on.
    When I have the freeway exit icons turned on, I see the little circle with the "I" in it (same as on the steering wheel), in the vicinity of where the exits are suppossed to be, however there is no other info such as the number or how far you are from it. Is there a way to do something with the circle that would show the exit number, how far away it is or obtain any more detail about it from the icon??

Toyota gives the next three exit numbers by distance, and if there is a rest stop. That is really nice.

Maybe I just have not found out what to do to get detail.
    I've done all of this and still nothing in regard to real time traffic updates. I called XM to make sure everything was o.k., and they assured me that it was. Until I hear from other Phila area MDX owners with this package, my only conclusion (seems highly unlikely) is that these messages are not being transmitted. I would be interested in hearing of experiences from others who live in my area in regard to this issue.
  • vamaxwellvamaxwell Member Posts: 1
    My in-laws took their 2004 MDX to their Acura dealer when the Navigation system just stopped working. She said they hooked it up to some device that told them it was "dead" and it would be $3500 for a new one. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
  • gtfranklingtfranklin Member Posts: 5
    Just an FYI for those frustrated by Phones not fully linking up with the HFL in the Nav. models. My Razr would not download phonebook, so I replaced with new Sony Erricson Z750a (AT&T) based upon previous tests of that brand. It was $50 (with $100 rebate). It works great....phone book downloaded, and signal stength and battery shows on monitor. It seems to take forever for the Hands Free website to list new phones, but this new Sony works fine.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    The video screen in my 2001 died a few months ago. I understand it is rare that this happens. I found an Acura dealer with a discount parts department that sold me a new display for a little over cost - about $1300.

The navigation units are not too hard to replace - they sit under the passenger seat. You could save labor costs by switching them out yourself. There is as security code "pin" number that needs to be input once the new unit is installed. [A new replacement for the 2004 lists for $3240., dealer cost is $2592] So if it really is broken, the quote from the dealer is fairly accurate.
    Acura has told me the following scenario would work on a 2008 vehicle, and I wonder if anyone has tried it?

1. Assume you have a bluetooth phone that does NOT allow the phonebook transfer.
    2. Borrow a phone that is approved for phonebook transfer, insert your sim and transfer your phonebook to the vehicle.
    3. Remove your sim and place it back in your own phone. You must leave the bluetooth profile for the phone you used, in the vehicle. In other words, do not selete the phone you used to insert the phonebook.
    4. Access the phonebook and dial a number using your non-compatible bluetooth phone.

My local Radio Shack will let me use one of their phones for a few minutes to do this, but I would like to know if anyone has tried it.

Thanks
  • swinbournswinbourn Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 MDX with Navi in Arizona and then I was transfered to Alaska. The system does not work in Anchorage but I can buy after market units that do? Is there something I can do to make the system work? It doesnt allow me to access the calculator or change the time without the Navigation up and running. A couple of times I have gotten a signal so I parked and set the clock and cleared the messages. The dealer has been no help, their answer was "we cant use navigation in Alaska". Called the 800 number and they were even less help. Said they planned to have this service in the near future??? Whatever that means. Thanks for your help! I love the vehicle and it does GREAT in the snow even with the stock tires.
  • hnikdelhnikdel Member Posts: 6
    The rear view camera on my 2004 stop working. When put the car in reverse, the screen goes blank. The nav system and other screen menu options work ok. Any idea how to trouble shoot this. My acura reference manual shows the location of the rear view camera control unit. How do I know that the control unit is bad?

Thanks

H. Nikdel
  • lintattoolintattoo Member Posts: 2
    Yes. The same thing happened to me - just after the warranty had expired. Initially the dealer gave me the same option. I was considering getting a portable unit as I did not want to spend 3500 to replace the unit. I was angry.

However, I decided to send my husband over to talk with them. They investigated my maintenance record and decided to replace the unit. This all happened around November of 2007.

This is not quite the happy ending you think it is. I just started encountering the same problem last week.

When it breaks this time, I will replace it with a portable unit.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    FYI- My wife likes my portable Garmin Nuvi 660 ($350) better than the standard nav in our (her) '07 MDX. :shades:
  • jclljcll Member Posts: 3
    Needawd, I need some help. I just got a certified mdx 05. Very good, I love it. I noticed you had some conversation with someone with regards to the welcome message. I don't get that. I can't find any info in my owner,s manual that talks anything about linking a key? (or a remote)? I have the tour package, navi, bluetooth and more...
    What am I missing?? About the conversation about a fuse missing, could that be my case??
    I hope you can help me. Thanks. :cry:
  • kdriscollkdriscoll Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue with my 2003 MDX and was given a $4,000 estimate. I did some searching on the topic and found that the unit is made by Alpine Electronics and they will fix for a $150 fix fee and ship back to you free, which is 4% of the Acura estimate. See www.navhelp.com/TSB-96.025.pdf. I just called them and they confirmed that did the electronics for my model and year. You should confirm model and year. Not sure why the dealers are not offering this as it is an Arura spec. Good luck.
  • mdx081mdx081 Member Posts: 2
    How do you buy the update from Alpine? I can't find it on their site.. If you want to reply private, mgaudet1@cox.net
    Just got new 08 MDX
  • mdx081mdx081 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for replying. I've seen the update site you list, but the update there is $185, what I was wondering how you got it for $99?
    Thanks
  • starlowestarlowe Member Posts: 2
    OMG, I am at the dealer right now with a broken nav on my Acura MDX 2004. I'm only 6000 miles over the warantee and it's $4000 to replace (mine is shorting out. Of course, that's the same screen that you use to control the air conditioning and heat, so obviously I need to replace--not to mention I need the NAV). I a going to look at the site you recommended.
  • starlowestarlowe Member Posts: 2
    OK, I think Alpine is only for the updated disc--not a whole new system. I called Alpine and they told me I had to do that through the dealer. Does anyone else know a cheaper way to get a replacement NAVI unit for a 2004 MDX? We're in a recession, here!
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I have an '04 non-nav but with the "trip computer" screen that I plunk my Garmin Nuvi 660 right on. Works great, my wife even prefers it to the factory nav in our '07 MDX.
  • mdxrrrrrmdxrrrrr Member Posts: 42
    I am completely with all those who have posted about their disappointment of the Navigation system in their MDX. My wife gets so frustrated trying to use the NAV system in our her '08 MDX compared to my 3 year old Garmin. Compared to my Garmin unit the word "intuitive" would not even remotely be an adjective I would use to describe what ACURA is selling as a NAV in their MDX. With the knob it takes at least 3x's as long to get your destination entered. Often times, we just give up because it is too aggravating. Then when you do get it to work, it doesn't even pronounce the same of the streets! Hello Acura...for $2,500 I think you may want to add that to your list of features your GPS system should have.
    The only feature my Garmin model doesn't have that the MDX has is voice recognition, but so far I the MDX hasn't demonstrated that it does a very good job of recognizing voices either!
    If Acura (and other car makers who are trying to reinvent the wheel), would wake up, I think they would realize they could offer a much better, user friendly GPS system to their customers if they would enter partnerships with these companies like Garmin who really do this for a living.
    Overall we are liking the MDX, but this GPS system is very disappointing, esp. when Acura promotes themselves as a luxury line.
    Actually the 07-08 Navi will speak the street name if the navi is set to max feedback. But it is lacking especially when compared to a Garmin. And the Acura navi if partnered with Pioneer who makes navigation software.
    Grandzu, I will try the max feed back setting. So far the only streets I have heard it pronounce are Interstate Highways. Everything else is turn right or left on "The Road". When I think of cutting edge GPS, somehow Pioneer doesn't come to jump into my head.
  • achuprinachuprin Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2009 navigation update dvds. It comes 1 for set up, and 2 map dvd.
    What i did, i installed map dvd first, and what i suposed to do is to install set up first. Now i got the message. Invalid dvd when i put set up dvd first. Tried to unplug the battery, and still comes that message. It will not recognize my 2005 dvd too. When i put 2009 dvd it will recognize, but will display old 2005 map. Does somebody knows how to fix it.
    achuprin, my advise would be to return the 2009 maps, tell Acura they didn't work. Take the $200 and buy either a Garmin Nuvi 750 ($200/Costco) or Nuvi 760 ($250/Walmart) you will have twice the GPS unit, plus it will be portable so you can use it in pedestrian mode, rental cars, where ever. Both of these NUVI's speak street names and directions "Turn left on Anderson Street" "Arriving at the Art Museum on left" etc.
    The Nuvi 760 has a FM transmitter, MP3 Player, Bluetooth, so you can wirelessly play all you music loaded on the MP3 player over your stereo and when someone calls in, their voice will come through your audio speakers. The features of the Bluetooth blows away what the Acura's offers. Phone book, call history, etc.
    Good Luck.
  • stringfellowstringfellow Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the Army and station in Germany. I would like to know where I can get software for Germany that will work on my Nav system, 2004 Acura MDX
  • wlovelandwloveland Member Posts: 1
    My Navi died a few months ago and Acura wanted $3500.00 to replace it or $700 to repair it. The part that broke is the DVD unit under the passenger seat. I have seen these online for a few hundred bucks... Does anyone know where I get get one for my '03 MDX. I always seem to find them for other years. I would love to get the navi working again, we used it all the time. If anyone has any info please pass it along, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • david169david169 Member Posts: 2
    Considering a 2009 MDX.

How well does Acura handle technical support to their 2009 MDX navigation system?
    How are GPS updates handled ?
    Is their truth to rumor that several other 2010 Acura vehicles have updated GPS systems and thus MDX make get a upgrade??

Thank you.
  • mannynmannyn Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone knows how to download phone # from Blackberry to MDX phone book.

I am able to receive incoming calls thru blue tooth but not able to make outgoing calls.

Thanks.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The 2010 will likely get the new HDD system found in the 2009 TL. The HDD system is much better and has a 8.0" screen at 800x480 resolution which is much better than 480x234. It comes with a 40 GB HDD and 12.4 GB is allocated to the music server. You can't rip mp3's to it. You can rip audio CD's to it and it has gracenote CDDB. The Gracenote CDDB updates are recommended and they are free or at a very low cost. The Map updates on the other hand you have to pay for them. You insert a DVD into the system and it will ask for a security code. Then you update them. It will transfer the data on to the HDD. It takes about an hour or 2. Maybe less.

The 2010 MDX will likely have the scenic routing feature where you can choose a more scenic route.
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    actually Pioneer makes some of the best nicest all in one nav audio head units for cars. In fact for anyone with a broken nav unit I would suggest maybe just replacing it with one of the newer Pioneer all in one units. you may lose some integration with the mdx but you can gain other features and possibly a larger screen and hard drive etc.
    oh no, I hope the 2010 MDX doesn't get that sweet sounding nav update because I didn't even think about the interior and when I saw spy photos of the 2010 mdx showing its basically just getting a new grill and suspected to just get the Plenium grill of the TL that most dont like. personaly i dont think its that bad on the TL but wouldn't want it on the MDX.

so with inventory running out of the MDX and a really good deal that I was able to get I went with the 2009. I didnt lease it but might be worse that I bought because I will automatically lose money after I drove it off the lot plus already put 400 miles on it.

oh well, I guess I would be able to get decent money back for it from the same dealer if i really want the 2010? how much can they really take off if i just have it for like a month till the 2010 comes out and put a few miles on it. I guess a lot, ugh, enough to not make it worth doing.

I used to have a portable xm player that worked in the car, on the go and in the house all on one device and paying one xm account. otherwise you ahve to pay for your xm/sirius and then for another unit in your house or portable.

The best feature of it was that it coudl record xm radio so if you heard a song you liked you could record it to its storage and listen to later like when you have no xm signal or going througha car wash or tunnel or something.

someone told me that bmw had that ability with their integrated sat radio that you could record the song to a built in hard drive.

you didn't mention this with the 2010 mdx but just the fact alone that it has a Hard drive makes me want to have waited. although iw ould want to store mp3s not just rip cds. i imagine you put the audio cd in the 6 disc in dash cd changer and then an option to pull the tracks off the cd to store to the built in hdd so you dont need to have that cd in anymore to listen to it so you could essentially have 6 cds in and then many others stored to the hdd? that isn't bad but yeah i'd want mp3 storage and playback like a lot of the aftermarket Pioneer units use and i understand that the 2009 mdx is a pioneer unit.

maybe the 2009 can be upgraded with the 2010 unit or other aftermarket Pioneer nav and audio all in one units with hdd and still work with the integrated mdx controls?

the higher resolution sounds great especially for when you watch a movie on the front screen which I am still trying to figure out how to do on the 2009 mdx which i could do on my previous 2006 suv.

Also if the 2010 front nav screen is 8" what is the 2009? it does seem smaller even then TL's prior to 2009 even, like my wifes 2006 TL seems ot have a bigger NAV screen plus its closer to you in the dash not set back which makes the mdx's seem even smaller.

40gb hdd isn't bad but only 12gb for music?

it doesn't sound amazing, but def a little bit of an upgrade from the 09. Again I hope there is a way to pu tthe 2010 nav audio unit in a 2009 or better yet an aftermarket Pioneer unit that is even better then what they are putting in the 2010 with other features and larger hdd but still somehow work with the 09's controls. i guess that is asking too much.

all i know is a few friends of mine have Pioneer aftermarket all in one head units with huge screens and hard drives and it can store music and movie/video files for play back on the screen also so if i can get something like that installed into the 09 mdx that would be great but i know certain dash's just dont lend themself to an aftermarket nav audio all in on head unit and i'm thinking the 09 mdx kind of doesnt'.
    and of course the dealerships claim they dont know anything about the 2010 MDX and if you ask they will just say its not changing or adding anything because they want to sell you the 2009 and not wait for the 2010.

i kind of just wanted to believe it wasn't adding anything and was afraid it was just getting the ugly Plenium grill so took my chances and got an 09 before they ran out since there are hardly any left instead of risking waiting for the 2010 mdx only to find i didn't like it and could get the 09 i like better for less but then find there are none left in the color and packages i wanted.

but now i realized I didn't think about the interior upgrades and didn't hear anything about it till now.

I will just have to check it out when it comes out and if I really really like it better then the 09 will just have to hope the dealer buys it back from me for a good price based on what i bought it for and gives me a similiarly good price on the 2010 but somehow i think that woulnd't work out so well I would lose more money then it would be even be worth changing to the 2010 ultimately just for a larger nav screen and possibly uglier grill.