Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Exercise and Fitness

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
I try to get in at least a 30 minute daily run, okay, it's more of a walk. However, that half hour is sometimes difficult to schedule.

Comments

• SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Photo taken from the starting point underneath the Golden Gate Bridge under the south tower. The end point is off in the fog - Alcatraz.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Over the Golden Gate Bridge once.... Does that count?
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    I haven't done that so, uh, ok. I've swam under the Golden Gate Bridge from end-to-end. Does that count?
    Riding a bike over requires virtually no effort once you have made the trip from the bike shop to the bridge.

A real biker would call that part of the trip a minor hill. I called it a cliff. Great day, though. You could talk me into moving out there no problem at all. I'd even put up with the odd earthquake. It's the real estate that would kill me...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • jamzusajamzusa Member Posts: 7
    I workout at a gym, LA Fitness as it's cheap and has alot of what you need to get in and stay in shape. I mainly focus on bodybuilding but in the process I get aerobic exercise as a side benefit. I run from time to time. I mainly use the machines, not freeweights, but have nothing against freeweights I just feel it's easier to use the machines and faster. You have to take suppliments or it's all futile. You can't get what your body needs from just the regular food we eat everyday. It's scientifically proven we can't and we NEED to hit the health food store. I buy MuscleMilk and NOS energy mix to workout and drink MuscleMilk daily also. It helps GREATLY and gives your body what it NEEDS to work properly and get in shape you want. There are MANY things on the market to help your body go where you want to take it but you have to get them and DO IT! I see so many people hit the gym and do VERY LAME workouts and take NO suppliments or drink mixes which they DESPERATELY NEED! and which are so much more advanced then in the past and do exactly what you're looking to do. Then they wonder why they get nowhere and do lame workouts... You need to EXERT yourself or it's ALL in vain! Put EVERYTHING INTO IT!!! I can't stress that more!! What you put IN is what you get OUT! No effort, NO gain! It's JUST like anything else in life only it MEANS your life as if your body isn't in shape how will it take you to 80/90/or 100 years old without letting you down. You see all the older generation that never worked out hunched over barely able to move, barely able to think, barely ALIVE and you know WHY? It's obvious, NO EXERCISE OR THE RIGHT DIET. That's how you DON'T want to be!! FOR SURE! Hit the gym! My gym has a jacuzzi and pool t'boot! I love to hit the jacuzzi after working out! ahhhhhh! It's the bomb! Discipline is what it takes as you have to realize it took this long to get that OUT of shape it'll take awhile to get IN shape so DO NOT be discouraged if you don't see the results you imagine after a few workouts.... That's NOTHING.... you need to realize this is a LIFETIME goal! You will be doing this THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. You need to realize you never took care of your body right till now and you have to COMPLETELY change your lifestyle and make working out numero uno as without being in shape... well, remember the elderly in nursing homes dying?.... That'll be YOU... There ARE physically fit people that are 80 years old and NOT in nursing homes and can hold conversations that are spry and alert.. You want that to be you too, right?
    As a side comment, I fully agree in other comments about riding bike, etc. as long as you don't JUST do that! There is MORE to life than riding a bicycle. You need to be balanced and do other things to workout other parts of your body, example: lifting weights, swimming, etc. I see so many of these guys that ALL they must do is ride their bicycles like that is ALL they know how to do and that is ALL there is in life. Of course we need aerobic exercise but we also NEED to lift weights JUST THE SAME as we need aerobic exercise. Eating and drinking the right thingss, being balanced: aerobic/weight lifting and putting EVERYTHING you have INTO it are the KEYS to success! Now lets DO IT!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Taking Vitamins may shorten your life and you want me to take some processed supplement?

One of my relatives worked for a GNC type supplement store for a year - first day at work was hilarious. The owner went through every shelf pointing out which products were best to sell. "This one has a 60% profit margin, this one 100%." Never any attempt at training for something that could work.

Quackwatch is an entertaining site.

btw, my mom is 86 and spry and alert. And she smoked 2 packs a day for about 68 of those years. You better add cigs to your milk if you want to be in the same great shape, lol.

I admire your work effort but I think I'll stick to a normal diet and try to DASH it up more.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I'm with you - no sense putting extra and unknown stuff into my body. Too many people are willing to pop or drink supplements & shakes without bothering to consult a doctor, who may offer more valid advice than a gym or nutrition shop salesperson.

My grandfather never took a thing, but went for a swim every day and did fine til age 93. There's no empirical evidence to support that one need anything more than their personal "right" combination of eating, exercise, good genes, and good fortune to live a long and healthy life.

Oh, the best addition I made to my (non-existent) workout routine was a dog. A dog who wants a walk is a lot harder to ignore than a gym or your conscience!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Ya, I need to start walking the neighbor's dog more - used to do that almost every day at my old house.

hmm, I said work effort instead of work ethic. Maybe some brain supplements would help? :confuse:
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    I noticed the long post about weights, supplements, etc. Everyone is different, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

I'm just genetically predisposed to certain physical characertistics. Like starting to lose my hair years ago in my early 20's--genetics; if you knew my grandfather and uncle on my Mother's side, well, you'd understand. ;)

Just like in the gym--I can lift and eat and supplement like the guy next to me at the gym, and, I do! And, our results will be different--they are! That's due to a number of factors including genetics, consistency of exercise, cardio, diet, etc. For me, I find a balanced diet works; I no longer supplement, except for Whey protein to increase my daily protein intake to match my weight training regimen.

Too many studies of the elderly have shown that any type of movement is better than none. Some resistance weight training has shown increased bone density; some cardio training has shown increased cardiovascular capacity. Walking is the best for some people due to joint pain, etc. Again, finding what works for you is most important.
  • jamzusajamzusa Member Posts: 7
    I see the messages commenting on what I've found works. I'm not here to argue as it seems there are critics here that probably never even tried to work out or take any supplements from the look of the comments that appear to be people that sit back, do nothing, and criticize people that DO and GET RESULTS. It's sad to see this is the common response from most people. They, instead of getting off their butts and working HARD and taking the supplements their body NEEDS, you can't do it on NOTHING, they sit back and run down every one else that DOES. Your loss. I see this all the time at the gym. People that come in there, lift practically NOTHING, get NO results, try NOTHING new, go NOWHERE and THEY are the ones that sit and run down the people that work out and get in shape. Your loss. Apparantly you all know NOTHING about working out to begin with or anything about supplements but sit there typing crude degrading remarks when you know NOTHING about the subject. I workout at a gym and know many others there that use supplements and they WORK! Do you think Mr. Universe got that way eating bread and water and a negative, lazy attitude like you all have? NEVER would've happened EVER! Shame on you. You ONLY get what you GIVE and you ONLY get there if you put IN your body what it NEEDS. I think you all need to look up all the scientific reports on the supplements and what your body needs. I saw comment up further that blew my mind in the ignorance. Vitamins shorten your life? lol... I can't believe I saw this. Where do you people come from? EVERYONE knows we NEED vitamins just to LIVE and the supplements and drink mixes to GAIN muscle and get in shape. EVERYONE that knows ANYTHING knows this. Such negative, uneducated ignorance. I'm not degrading anyone, simply stating the truth that you are fighting with the wrong guy here. I KNOW my stuff. You need to educate yourself before you come into these forums and spread your ignorant thoughts and ideas based on nonsense and prejudice. Sounds like most people here hate people that are in shape, jealous most likely because they are OUT of shape INCREDIBLY, probably either skin and bones or HUGE!..... Shame.... You hold your chains in your hands to getting in shape because of your bad thoughts. Muscle Fitness magazine is a great magazine to help educate yourself. I really don't want to come in here seeing MORE of these ignorant, degrading comments about what I wrote when I KNOW what I'm talking about. I posted what I did to HELP you people but I see that doesn't work. You want to STAY out of shape and KEEP it that way from what I see. Shame on YOU. You will NEVER get in any sort of shape with those bad attutudes. You need to learn to try new things and educate yourself. Those supplements aren't fake or for losers or whatever negative ideas you have or ALL the weight lifters wouldn't be HUGE! I just don't get where you people get your thoughts from except you must life in a cave and eat rats or something or bugs and have your head in the sand. Educate yourself. There nothing more to say about these negative people and their comments so I'm deleting my email update on this subject. Pray for yourselves. Apparantly only God can help you cause no ones help on here will it appears.
    I recommend the BBC link.

I prefer the classic HIT type of workout myself. But I have no desire to tow a bunch of friends in a rowboat around Lake Tahoe with my teeth when I'm 80 either (however I do know someone ....).

Using paragraph breaks will make your posts easier to read btw.
    I workout at a gym and know many others there that use supplements and they WORK! Do you think Mr. Universe got that way eating bread and water and a negative, lazy attitude like you all have?

Um, most if not all of the pro BBs, like Mr. Universe you reference, supplement. However, most of us are not will to go to the lengths they do--I just don't like needles! I think you get my drift.

Again, what works for you is just terrific--keep doing what you are doing if you are happy with the results.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You know, it's okay if others don't agree with you. What is not okay is personally attacking them because they don't share the same views/opinions as you.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I run from time to time. I mainly use the machines, not freeweights, but have nothing against freeweights I just feel it's easier to use the machines and faster.

If you are wanting to build muscle mass... free weights are the only way to go. Machines can reach a lot of muscles free weights can't. But, generally speaking if you are a body builder the majority of what you should be working out with are free weights.

"Hip Hop Abs of Steel Jipster"
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    sounds like the easy way out to me. you know better living through better chemistry not hard work. the social acceptance of drug use for unnatural result still puzzles me. :confuse:
    Maybe I can interest you in an energy drink?

You have over 600 varieties to choose from. :shades:

Supplements are big biz. My favorite is Advil, lol. Had to pop a couple tonight after riding on the new mountain bike complex of trails conveniently located behind my house.
    I agree with what Okko and Steve are saying. I lift four days a week; mix of free weights and machines, depending on what body part I'm training that day. I get up at 4:30am, work out for an hour at 6am, followed by 1/2 hour of cardio. Then I go to work and put in a 9 or 10 hour day. And, I'm no spring chicken--I can retire in less than a year.

I feel better today than when I first picked up a weight 13 or so years ago. Better living through weights rather than back surgery has become my mantra.

Some days are easier than others, but I believe hard work along with some sacrifice (going to bed early!) produces the best results. And that's whether it's in the gym, at work, or other aspects of my life.

I tried the creatine and a couple of different "energy drinks"--all that did was make my wallet lighter! I've met a lot of BBs through my personal trainer, a former BB himself, but he could not compete at the national level with the "chemical freaks". He got as far as he did due to his hard work and dedication to all aspects of the process.

I know those who have taken other "chemical supplements", and yes they got huge, and in the BB world, bigger is better it seems. I've also seen the side effects, both physical (surgery required to remove unwanted "growths" where injections were made), and mental (mood swings/'roid rages) from the product itself--not pretty in my opinion.

I try not to judge those folks, but cannot say that I understand. However, I'm not a one-size-fits-all person, and what works for one may not work for another. Your mileage may vary.
    I started my summer "diet" third week of March. Lot's of protein, some carbs, plenty of water, fresh fruit and vegetables.

Weighed 203 then; today at 188.5. I'm eating five times a day, small portions. The key for me is to not let myself get too hungry, so I don't eat the wrong stuff.

Anyone care to share their program/method? I could use some additional motifivation--I can almost see my abs! Must stay strong! :shades:
    Sounds like a good program... taking it off slow. Congrats and keep up the good work.

You have an exercise routine?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Thanks for the encouragement; as I get older its gotten tougher to shed the weight.

I started having lower back pain at 39; radiologist told me my x-rays looked like a back of a 70 year old. Orthopedic doc said, "let's operate"; primary care physican suggested I get off my butt and try exercising instead.

So, I starting seeing a personal trainer (PT) four times a week for an hour each day for weight training. I went to him because he trains clients at every fitness level from 12 to 80, has the educational background, and the best part, he and his family totally walk their talk. His wife, also a trainer, has had three kids--you'd never know seeing her in a bikini on the beach! And of course, he's just as buff as she.

Fifteen years later no surgery and minimal lower back discomfort, because I've strengthened my "core" as they say, which takes the stress off my lower back. My PT has taught me other simple things, like how to change the bed and how to properly get into a car without torquing my back. And, the best side effect of the weight training is I'm in the best shape of my life at almost 55 years old.

He likes me to gain 15 lbs. off season as I can lift heavier, etc. However, I'm going to try and stay leaner off season in the future so I don't have to shed as much extra winter lbs. Plus, just a few more pounds off and I'm going to actually be able to see all the effort from my hard work--my abs!
    Wow... if you need any further inspiration bryan... just look at what you just wrote.
    That's a wonderful and inspiring story. :)

I pretty much do what you do. Eat 2 or 3 small meals/snacks a day... then a regular sized dinner. Drink water instead of diet drinks, lift weights, walk... and play sports with my kids. I've been meaning to buy a bike and start biking. My youngest just learned to ride a bike.

I "tweaked" my back at work a few weeks ago. Sure made it difficult/painful to get in the car. Raising the seat up helped quite a bit.
    Thanks for the encouragement; I too like to bike ride, but was much too hot this weekend to do that. That would have been my cardio this weekend, but I confess, the heat got to me and I was a slug. I did get out and walk for an hour late Saturday afternoon along the boardwalk at the beach. I was soaked, and once I got home, realized I had let myself get a little dehydrated. Won't do that again.

I feel your "pain" about the getting in/out of a car. Something as simple as sitting in the seat first with my legs still on the pavement, and then once seated, swinging in my legs, did the trick. I reverse it when I get out.

What I really miss is being able to hand wash and wax my cars; 20 minutes into it and I can hardly move. If I'm careful, I can go a little longer using a rolling seat that I use for gardening, but once I try and do the hood, trunk, and top of the car, forget about it! Stretching will help somewhat, but for the next couple of days of discomfort, not worth it. So, I have the dealer detail my cars at least once a year, so I don't feel so guilty about not doing it.
    Good for you, Bryan!

My husband and I have been "making lifestyle changes". I hate the word dieting. :) After getting a sobering kick in the pants from his doctor a few months ago, my husband has lost 25 pounds. A lot of it is simply through portion control and avoiding high fat and sugar, especially high fructose syrup. I never realized it is everywhere.

Exercise has been limited as he's recently had knee surgery, but got a new pup that needs walking several times a day, so I'm getting MY exercise.
    Thanks Karen. I too made that "lifestyle" change. Once I get into eating clean, it's not so bad. Why oh why though do I crave animal crackers right now?

I've lost a little more than 15 pounds since the third week of March, and hope to shed five more over the next six weeks or so. I feel so much better, have more energy at this lighter weight.

I too got that sobering kick in the pants from my Doctor. I reduced my cholesterol (sp?) from 239 in October 2007 to 187 in May 2008, strictly through change in my eating "lifestyle". The good and bad numbers both changed for the better too. No more whole eggs, red meat, shell fish, but I don't miss that if I can stay off the pills. So far so good.
    I knew I shouldn't have come in here. I'm getting inspiration....

I'm on pills for at least three things that I am sure diet and exercise could eliminate - cholesterol, blood pressure and blood glucose.

Now I have a ton of health issues that are unrelated but I would bet that there's nothing that would prevent exercise. Some thing would be helped and others, well, at least my ability to cope and adjust would improve.
    I'm just not a pill person, period. It's funny all the ills that exercise will cure--especially the mental ones. ;)

People I work with don't understand that going to the gym before I come to work gets me energized for the whole day, both physically and mentally. I was basically a SLUG for the first 40 years of my life, but now I feel worse if I don't lift or do some type of cardio most days.

I've tried the after work exercise program, mid-day, and found that early morning (6am) is best for ME. I know folks who go after work, and that's best for them.

Keep coming back to this forum for inspiration; we're all in this struggle together. :D
    I'm just not a pill person, period. It's funny all the ills that exercise will cure--especially the mental ones.

I wasn't either. I remember going through my first year of college and never taking an aspirin. Genetics has caught up with me.

That said I pretty sure I could knock out about half the medication which would not only feel better but make traveling easier.
    Hit my original goal of 185 pounds yesterday on my home scale, which runs about 4 lbs. lighter than the one at the gym. WooHoo! I knew things were moving when I was able to go down one more notch on the belt.

I have a co-worker who told me last week that he's lost 25 pounds and that I was his inspiration. Talk about making my day, week, month, etc. He's a couple years older then me, and we've talked about working out and losing weight for the past couple of years. He joined a gym about six months ago, got with a personal trainer to get him a work out, cardio and here's the best part, a nutrition plan.

Here are his exact words "You were right, just getting started was the hardest part. And I never thought I'd say this to anyone, but when I miss a workout or cardio session, I feel guilty, and that gets me motivated." He's lost several inches from his waist, and no longer has a gut. He's so psyched, and I'm using that to keep me focused and motivated.

I still crave animal crackers...must stay strong.
    Way to go bryan! ;)
    Great to hear!

I'm down 9 pounds - it's a start!
    Congrats Fezo--you've made it past the hard part--starting!

I feel off the wagon last night--on purpose--I ate an entire six-slice large pepperoni and mushroom pizza! It was good. No, it was very good! Good news, pants still fit. ;)

First "junk" since 3rd week of March. Last "junk' until October :cry:
    Hit 183.5 today! WooHoo. About 3 or so more pounds to go. I lost some ground when I had to fast, etc. before my first colonoscopy on July 25 (easy-peasy process, clean bill of health report!). My weight started free-falling so, after I had the graham crackers and coffee in recovery, I went home and ate a bowl of oatmeal!

Weighed less than before I went to the procedure. I have to watch when I diet that I don't lose too fast--I literally could see myself losing size (its a weight lifting/body building syndrome I've been told :shades: ), so, for the rest of that day and the weekend, I pretty much ate what I wanted to make sure my weight would stabalize. Oh boy, it did, at 187 lbs. the following Monday morning! And I felt great, and stronger than ever in the gym.

But, I got back on my clean eating regimen, and today my trainer gave me the good news--about three more pounds and that's it. It's funny how each person's metabolism works--when I first start my diet each spring, it seems like the scale doesn't want to move, and then bam, it starts.
    Congratulations! Although, I have to grumble. You guys can skip lunch and lose 5 pounds. We wimmin' folk have to exercise till we drop and eat nuthin' but celery to achieve the same results. :cry:
    Yeah, it's funny about the differences between men and women and metabolism, hormones, etc. But as I've aged, it's not as easy for me to lose weight.

I can remember trying to gain weight as a teen/early 20's, and eating, eating, eating, and still weighed 150 lbs soaking wet at 6'. At the age of 42, the first day I picked up a free weight with my trainer, I weighed 155 lbs--five days later had lost five pounds! And yes, I was still eating, but I guess going from couch potato to gym warrior made a difference. ;)

The best part of all this "stuff" is that I feel better today (and body wise, look better) than I did oh so many years ago. It's become a lifestyle. Now, if I could only apply this same discipline to my chronic car looking/buying fever! :shades:
    Age is a funny thing.

Many years ago I was on a diet and mentioned to my mother that it was a lot harder to lose weight at 38 than it was at 26. Her reply was, "Try 70."
    My husband has decided we need a treadmill. The dog and I usually do a daily 2 miler no matter what the weather, but as the days get shorter it's difficult to fit it in while there is still daylight. We hope to train the dog to use it also. Anyone have suggestions on a good brand that won't kill the pocketbook?
    I hear that the NordicTrack's make the best clothes hangers. ;)
    Excuse me?? It's going to be in the basement next to the laundry room, so it will be a clothes DRYING RACK. :P
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'll say this much... if you're actually going to use it, you might want to break the bank a bit. As hard as it is to believe, I've worn out a $300 exercise bike (about 6 months), a $700 treadmill (58 days), and a Nordic Track elliptical trainer (about 9 months). All of them failed under daily use, which is what I thought the point of getting them was. Silly me.

I did some real research into the treadmills (because I really liked that one the best) and until you get into the "commercial" type units, the drive systems aren't hefty enough to stand up to sustained daily use. (I was doing 5 miles minimum per day)

I was especially disappointed I was able to wear out the elliptical because of the reputation of NordicTrack

Maybe I'll stick to the weighted yoyos ;)
  • back2basics101back2basics101 Member Posts: 1
    Hey peeps, I am Daphney from Chicago. I've been very active as a teenager, sort of got off that in last 15 years. It's time to get back.
    I joined a local gym just after Thanksgiving as they had a special with no "processing fee" ($49) and Dec for free. $30/ month on a month to month basis after that and it's great. I can wear out someone else's equipment. I get to the gym virtually every day and I'm down close to 10 pounds in the first month.
    The local gym is doing a similar deal - $60 for 3 months (usually $40 a month). By April I'll be bored and ready to switch to a bike or something anyway. I dunno - it's cheap enough but it sure can get boring. Have to remember to take a book along.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    One or two sessions with a trainer will definitely get rid of the boredom! :P

I walk 3-4 miles a day, also ride my bike weather permitting (its been good lately, but a bit windy).

For diet I use weightwatchers online, but I gave up for the holidays. About 2 lbs a week is really all you'd want to lose--it has to come off slowly.
    edited December 2010
    I had one half hour session with a trainer last year. Wound up with a small hernia and plantar fasciitis.

I think I may just call this one in. :P
    was this an animal trainer? Poor guy---LOL!
    Ahhhh... nice start to the year... an hour on whatever-the-heck the machine was at the gym.

Time for a nap :P
    OK... over a year and 60 pounds later...

I MAY be ready to declare the gym experiment a success :P
    edited February 2012
    Good for you!

I'm still down 30 just from cutting sugar out. Not hitting the gym except for a yoga class now and then. Five more pounds would be nice but I may be stuck at this weight; 10 pounds more than my college weight in '73.
    If I can find another 20 pounds, I'll be at my 7th grade weight!

I'm actually not that concerned with my weight now. It will be what it will be, but I've gone down 6 " in pants size (soon to be 8 I think) XL shirts are WAY too big on me and even L (grandes) are starting to sag a bit.

I was running a 5 miler the other day and the feeling came over me that I could finish a marathon if I put my mind to it. Crazy talk right??
    Yep crazy if you don't want to blow out your knees. You aren't 21 anymore. Game's over. Put away the jersey, break out a beer. :P

Just kidding. I was thinking of doing a century (100 mile) bike ride this summer. But no more jogging. You really really NEED your knees as you get older, more than (just about) any other body part.