Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Exercise and Fitness

2»

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Good for you! I'm impressed...and envious. I've dropped approximately 25 myself and would like to get rid of another 20. I've been on a plateau for some time now and quit weighing because it was too depressing. Been doing the gym 3-4 times a week and the usual 2-mile daily walk-run with the dog.

I'm going to be doing the Warrior Dash the first part of June with my son and his friends. Attended as a spectator last year and it was so much fun I decided I would try it as a participant. :shades:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    When I was about 6 months into going to the gym, I decided to take the bike out for a ride, just to see if I was getting in real shape or if it was just "machine shape" if that makes any sense.

It was shortly after the Indy500 times trials and I was really intrigued by the fact that they didn't qualify using their highest gear, but ran at a higher RPM. I suppose the theory is more torque/power to the wheels and faster recovery to speed out of the corners. In any event, I decided that I was going out for a ride, and was going to try to maintain a tempo with the pedals rather than worrying about being in top gear. The only limit I was putting on myself was that if it felt like I was approaching half of what I was going to be able to do, I was going to turn back for home. Well, when I hit 20 miles and felt like I could go forever, I rethought that decision and decided to go tour around for another hour or so. I wound up doing a 35 mile cruise over all sorts of terrain and I think I could have gone all day if I felt like it.
    And you're right. Knees are important. With the weight loss and increased strength in my legs, my knees have never felt better. I don't run outside on the roads though. I'll do the treadmill or indoor track surface to cushion the impact.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    A good friend used to race bicycles competitively, and he gave me some good advice.

Keep your RPM(cadence) at 80, with bursts of 100 every 5 minutes, for about 30-45 seconds.

If you feel too much strain in your legs or knees, DOWNSHIFT! He said speed is not important, cadence is.

I followed that advice when I went to lose weight, and it was amazing how much longer I could go by following these rules. Plus, I lost a BUNCH of weight... :)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I use the same strategy on the stationary bike, alternating higher resistance and a cadence of 75-80 with lower resistance and 95-100

And don't forget to pedal standing once in a while for "saddle relief" :shades:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well that's great---I have a pretty heavy mountain bike with knobby-ish tires, so 35-40 miles and I'm pretty tuckered. If I did a 100-miler, no way on a mountain bike. I'd have to get either a road bike or one of those thin-tire, flat bar, lighter hybrids. I like the Cannondale "Bad Boy". Also these new mono-fork bikes look interesting.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Hey PF, another year and a half has gone by, has the weight stayed off? Anyone else care to report? You guys still ripped?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm back up to 172ish, but still 20 pounds down from my high. Funny that I gain in the summer.
    I'm thinking of opening a food shop for state fair type of foods. I.e popcorn, snow cones, elephant ears, elephant noses, brats, doughnut burgers, cotton candy, fudge, cheese fries,etc etc. All I need is a good name. How you like " Blue Ribbon Better Than Fair Foods", or "Great State Fair Treats and Eats", or maybe something that's more of an attention getter,"Heart Attack in 60 Days or Your Money Back". Come up with something I can use and its free corndawgs for a week. Thx.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    Hey Jip: It's been a few years since I last posted here. I'm still at 185 and holding. I'm still lifting 4 times a week and doing cardio at least 4 days as well.

I started spinning classes about three years ago, and loved it, until I bought special biking shoes and tweaked my right leg pretty good. Found out the shoes were not for me. After taking six months off any strenuous cycling coupled with using the foam roller (worst pain I can remember), I'm back cycling with no pain.

I'll be 60 in December. I look and feel better now than any other time in my life. Retiring at 56 didn't hurt either.
    Sounds good Bryan, congrats. I've dropped a few pounds, hope to drop a few more. I 've been playing a lot of tennis lately. They have a "fast feed" program at the tennis club I belong to. It's a great. cardio workout while running thru various tennis drills with a pro. Hard to stay with weight training as it bores me, but plan to start in incorporating weights into my fitness program.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just do a road trip; back after a month of diners and I'm up another 4 pounds. We waved at our gym instructor today (at least we walked to town to pick up the held mail, lol).
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Turning 59 this week and keeping steady at 152, the same as when I graduated college. I did gain a few when I was forced to retire three years ago but have worked that weight off since I went back to work last January and am feeling the best I've ever been right now. Even looking for some more part time work since my current gig is going to go under from what we've heard. Have interviews scheduled this week and just hope my using a cane will not be a problem like it has been in the past...all the local car dealers wouldn't hire me as a shuttle driver because of this fact...hard to prove but I saw the glance at my cane right away. After that, the interviews went no where and that was that. my current gig i didn't mention it as it was all done online and over the phone and turned out to be a non-issue really a I can do the work just fine and another guy also was using a cane to help with his mobility. Just wish employers could look past it and see me as the capable worker that I am!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• GloriaWalkerGloriaWalker Member Posts: 7
    Great to hear about weight loss tips. As per my views, walking and running can reduce body fat to a greater extent.
  • PolitedriverPolitedriver Member Posts: 2
    I like a good magazine (or a bad one) while I run on the treadmill. Add in some classical music and the time really flies. A couple times a week really helps fight off the spare tire!
  • JMillertimeJMillertime Member Posts: 6
    Hey as long as you're doing something. The main thing is to build the habit, whether it's a daily walk or going to the gym. Once exercise becomes part of "what you do" it becomes pretty easy to find the motivation.
  • skyisthelimitskyisthelimit Member Posts: 46
    I started exercising since the pandemic started. I was working from home and had nothing to do during my free time. I bought a treadmill and some weights. Exercised with the guidance of my personal trainer through virtual sessions. Also, learned how to have a proper diet. I feel healthier than ever.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Been steadily working since 2013, am now a shuttle driver!! Weight at about 158 now and my spinal issues have basically stayed the same though a bit harder to get moving after sitting a bit. Aging isn't much fun but am doing my best and staying active by working 5 days a week has helped. I do look forward to those two days off though!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)