Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Has anyone tried the new Rain-X wiper blades?

bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
They're supposed to be superior to anything that's on the market (as they should be, they're much more expensive than anything else on the market). Does anyone have them? If so, are they worth the price?

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    But I'm considering giving them a shot next time I need blades based on my experience firstwith Rain-X, and then the Rain-X washer fluid.
    I liked what Rain-X did, even though I had to take the time to apply it. But the washer fluid gives me pretty much the same results, and the reduction in the amount of washer fluid I'm using as a result offsets the higher cost of the Rain-X juice compared to the run of the mill blue stuff.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Thanks for the tip! I didn't even know that Rain-X made a washer fluid, but I'm gonna give it a shot considering that April showers are allegedly on the way.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The Rain-X fluid comes in two seasonal flavors. There's the orange de-icing stuff for use in winter and then a green bug cleaner one for the warm times. I've been using them for about 18 months now and I use a LOT less washer fluid because of it.

I'm pretty sure my wiper life has extended somewhat too because I use them less during those times when it's just spitting rain and it rolls off.

I've never tried their anti-fog stuff for the inside of the windows.
    If a product has "New!" on the label or posted on the product display, you can bet it's coming home with me. So, I hope to report back about the anti-fog stuff after this weekend :)

Hm... wonder what happens if you mix the winter formula with the summer formula? Frost-free, non-adhesive bugs?

(sorry bottgers... this really isn't helping you)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    I live in Oregon....it rains here.
    I've tried multiple products, and the one that seems to last from October through June, our rainy season, is Aqua-Pel. Once applied, I don't even use the wipers at night, as it makes no difference in visibility. During the day, I can leave the wipers on intermittent, irregardless of how hard it's raining.

Out of all the products I've tried, this one's by far the best and longest-lasting. You can search for it with your favorite search engine.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Personally, I bought some older-type Rain-X blades and they were garbage.

I use the Trico Innovision blades (got mine at Meijer), and they are incredible. They have a funky design where only the middle of the blade has support, but this works out well because the rest of the blade "snaps" along the windshield. Best blades I've ever used.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....sound similar in design to the new Rain-X blades. For those enquiring, I can tell you first hand the no-fog Rain-X stuff for the inside of the windows doesn't work. I love the RX stuff for the exterior windows, but it just doesn't last long enough for me. I have to end up applying every week in order for me to get the kind of repelling action I prefer. Haven't tried their washer fluid yet though.
    ...gonna be designated as the guinea pig to try out the new blades first?
    How much did your Innovision blades cost? Do they last longer than the typical blade? How long have yu had your's?
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    try to send an e-mail to your local news "Investigative Team", they may give you a pair to try and report how well they worked. The only downside is they usually don't let you keep the product, but you will get to use it for about 1 month. I got to try out the Moving Men furniture moving discs for our local news station, but they gave me a rebate coupon for a free set afterwards. I still use them to move the entertainment center to get to all the wiring for the home theater.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    wipers, about 3 weeks ago, but, they were the wrong size. Went back to Wal-Mart, and theyhad no more. Guy at the back desk, auto center, said they had quit carrying rain-X wiper blades.
    What was on left the shelf was all that they had.

We ended up getting Anco wiper arm/blade combo. Not bad. Anco has been around since I was a kid(don't ask how long that is,lol).

Tried some weird (from Wal-Mart) Triple Edge wipers once, 5-6 years ago, did not work well, took them back.

Hey, those Meijer's wipers sound intriguing!

take care/not offense
    I've been using Ancos for years, but I'm ready for something better. They work okay for the first few months, but then......well you know, typical wiper blades. I switched to the Triple Edge blades a few months ago. I like the fact that they come with a lifetime replacement warranty, but they don't work any better than the Ancos, and if anything, they don't last as long. I've had to replace my driver's side blade twice already. I want a blade that wipes clean on each and every pass, and lasts a decent amount of time. I also want blades that wipe as cleanly on the downstroke as the upstroke at highway speeds. So far I haven't any that'll do this. I'm sick of the same ol' same ol'.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Here's a link to the Trico blade:

Click here

Looking at the new Rain X blades, they appear to have the same idea, slightly different design.

I bought the Tricos last spring, so honestly I don't remember what I paid. They weren't cheap, though they still work like new. The only time I've ever had them streak is when my car had been sitting out in freezing rain, and they were coated in ice.

I can't recommend them highly enough, though I'd give the Rain X ones a try if I couldn't find the Tricos. They LOOK pretty similar.
    This topic died out quick. I'm going today to pick up both the Innovision blades and the Aqua-Pel. I found a local CarQuest that has both. I'll let you know how they work out.
    You were expecting a version of the Lincoln-Douglas debates perhaps?? :P

Had one of those semi-annoying rains this afternoon and the Rain-X washer fluid did its job. Really only had to turn on wipers if we were behind a vehicle going through a low lying area with standing water throwing up that nasty, grimy spray.
    ....I was hoping for more comments about the Trico blades, and maybe even some testimony from some folks using the Aqua-Pel. I guess I'll just have to be the guinea pig.
    I applied the Aqua-Pel and installed the Innovisions. Haven't driven in any rain yet, but I'll let you know how they perform.
    The Trico blades work very nicely. Let's see how long they last. The Aqua-Pel doesn't seem to do a thing. It doesn't bead water like Rain-X does (in fact, it doesn't appear to bead water at all), and so far I've had to use my wipers at all speeds. At least with Rain-X I don't have to use my wipers on the highway.
    At least with Rain-X I don't have to use my wipers on the highway.

That's what I've found,and what really cuts down on not only wiper use, but washer fluid use as well. Changing blades seems to be more of a function of age of the blades rather than how much they've been used. After a certain amount of time, they just need to be changed. Next set of blades I put ona vehicle, I'm going to start keeping a log ;)
    ....the Aqua-Pel would give the same effect as the Rain-X (the beading action) without having to apply it once a week.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    For $18 bucks EACH they better be good !!!!!!!!!
    ...if these don't last a LONG time, I could see myself going back to the regular ol' Ancos just because these are so damn expensive.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    These RainX blades look very similar to Bosch Icons. I don't know if the quality is as good as Bosch's, but after having had the Icons I will never go back to conventional blades. Is it possible Bosh is making these RainX blades?

My kid bought some of the somewhat similar (but cheaper) innovision blades, but these seemed kind of flimsy compared to the Icons. We will see how they hold up, have only had them for 6 months or so. Also they do not have the "spoiler" like Icons (and RainX apparently) so may not work as well at higher speeds.

These Icon blades just work so much better all year around, I'll gladly pay the $30-40 cost for a set of them. Discovered these in 2005 because my wife's new Jetta came with them. After having them on that car for about a year, I decided to upgrade our old Windstar to them. Now I have a new Mazda and before next winter, I will definitely switch the crappy conventional blades for a set of Icons (or perhaps I'll try this new rainx version.

We are approaching two years with the Icons on the Jetta and they still seem to be working good. They had begun to show signs of wearing out after about 20 months (including two full winter seasons) and then I cleaned them with vinegar and my wife said they were working good again.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    This type of wiper blade is becoming more and more common on new vehicles. I think some of GM's newest vehicles have them, and most of the European brands have them. They do seem to work better than conventional blades, although I have been happy with Bosch Micro Edge conventional blades in the past as well as the silicone conventional blades sold by The Tire Rack.

I use winter-formula washer fluid all year long, as it doesn't seem like I go through enough of it to switch back and forth between summer and winter.

I have mixed feelings about Rain-X on the windshield--I don't use it currently.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    It will be a cold day in hades before I shell out $40 for two wiper blades. As for Rain-X liquid on the windshield, well it works well in the daytime but really distorts the view at nighttime. I quit using it for that reason. Boz
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    well it works well in the daytime but really distorts the view at nighttime. I quit using it for that reason. Boz

Are you sure you're applying it correctly? I've used Rain-X for decades and have never experienced any such distortion.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I find that the difference between distorting and not tends to be whether you follow that step about wiping it down with a wet towel after application. I learned the hard way.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    ...with the Aqua-Pel. It doesn't appear to bead at all. I can see why it doesn't sell. I've gone back to applying Rain-X once a week. It may not last very long, but while it's on there, it beads well.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    Once a week? Does it rain a lot where you live?
    Once a month is more than sufficient for me and I do a couple of thousand miles per month.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    I surprised that it's not working for you. I apply it in October, and it works 'til the rainy season ends here in western Oregon, around end of June. I've used it for years on all my vehicles.

I commute 25 miles of I-5 each way, and I've been delighted with this product. In fact, I had a "greasy" windshield from Rain-X, and was dis-satisfied with it.

With Aqua-pel, you DO have to clean the windshield so it's like new. I always apply in 4 different directions, then wipe with a paper towel after about 10 minutes. At night, I see no improvement with the wipers on vs off.
    It will be a cold day in hades before I shell out $40 for two wiper blades.

I probably would have thought that way too, until I saw just how much better the Icons are compared to my previous wiper blades of choice...which were Bosch microedge. The extra $15-20 is well worth it to me...especially since these have worked well (winter and summer) for far longer than other blades.
  • theyrealltakentheyrealltaken Member Posts: 1
    I just took off my SilBlade silicone winter blades. I can't say they last five years (as their maker claims) because I haven't had them that long, and I also only use them in winter. But I *CAN* say I've had them for two (three?) winters now and I'm still happy with them, which says a lot because I can almost never keep a set of rubber wipers beyond four months because they start to streak and drive me crazy. I guess I'm hyper-sensitive to windshield wipers and their failures.

I'd use SilBlades in summer too if only they came in a 21" size I need. I can forgive the missing inch in winter, though.

I tried Triple Edge blades many years ago. I threw them away. As far as I could tell, they last forever because they're too hard & stiff to actually follow glass closely enough to wipe water away. Perhaps I should have given them more time to break in, but I didn't want to wait. (To be fair, I know someone who had the same reaction to summer SilBlades).

I saw the Bosch Icon blades, but they don't come in the 16" length I need for my rear window. I see that SilBlade now has a similar "one-piece frame" blade, but they don't come in the 21" length I need for the driver's side. (This is getting frustrating...) The Rain-X Latitude blades come in all three sizes I need, and as soon as I find a store with all three in stock, I'll buy them. I'll gladly pay more to see better.

I also put Rain-X on all my car windows and outside mirrors, and enjoyed the results enough that I'm really kicking myself for not having found time to do it again. Maybe this weekend.

I think I'll get Diamon-Fusion or Nanoprotect AG for my next new car...
  • texmiketexmike Member Posts: 1
    Agree, I bought the Rain-X Latitude blades and they seem to work great. Just hope they last long enough to warrant $20 apiece.
    My wife's 23 month old Icons, that came on her new Jetta, are still doing great. Meanwhile, the conventional blades on my 3 month old Mazda are already starting to annoy me at times.
    I thought I'd let you know how the Aquapel works. It doesn't. It doesn't appear to bead water at all and I had to use the wipers even at highway speeds. I re-applied Rain-X and what a difference! The Rain-X may have to be applied more often, but at least it works. Don't waste your money on the Aquapel.
    Thanks for that! I'm always looking for a bargain and might have fallen for a "knock-off" Rain-X.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I've only used it once in my life and lost the bottle. I applied it to my 92' Bonneville, when the stuff came out. It beads the water really well. What in the heck do these Rain-X Wiper blades really do as I'm unfamiliar with them ? Do they have a resivour built in them that slowly apply's Rain-X fluid to your windshield ?

Thanks,

Rocky
    The wiper blades have nothing to do with the fluid, they are just a bracketless design like Bosch Icon.
    Oh okay....So what makes them so special ? Wiper quality ?

Rocky
    ROCK....Yea they are "special" all right !
    Come in a snazzy yellar box with neat graphics and
    a $18 bucks EACH pricetag !!!!!!!!!

Must be that quality made in mexico difference !
    Well what are the best "blades" on the market ?

Rocky
    Hmmmmm...........I just buy the cheapest ones that are
    on sale when I need them. I use 2 sets. The regular
    ones for summer and the winter ones that are fully
    encased in rubber for snow and ice season...........

Been wanting to try the heated ones on my plow truck
    for winter use but the $75 bucks is steep !!!!
    Instead of offering snide comments, why not just respond with your experience, or let others who have used them respond? There are plenty of people who would like genuine feedback on rocky's question.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    PIAA had some great blades on the market a few years ago. Some of the guys I knew in SCCA Rally Racing used them with great sucess.
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    Love 'em. Got them buy one get one free after rebate. Had them on since Oct. 06 through a nasty Missouri winter. The one piece design worked perfectly though an apocalypic record ice storm. I have a thing about good wipers and I am happy with them.
    The only thing I will say is they are not as aerodynamic as I thought. Under some windy conditions when driving over 65, the right one skips slightly.
    I think they look cool, too. Tried the one piece from anco for the other car and they are not as good, and took them back and got more of the Rain X.
    Rocky, there are only 3 pages of posts here. You might go back and read them, there was some pretty good discussion of the pros and cons of different blades, IIRC.

Bosch Icons have won me over. Discovered them when they came on my wife's new Jetta. The Rainx ones look so similar that I will consider them in the future too. I even wonder if they are made for them by Bosch, because of the lookalikeness.
    Okay....I will have to do just that. I also have never heard of heated wiper blades. :surprise:

Rocky
    KIRSTIE>>>>>>>>>>>>>Not being snide in my response to
    my GM bud Rock........
    Just commenting with my reasons on why so costly at $18 bucks each.........

Too bad you read it that way......... ;)
    Yea Rock...............They are advertised on some of the
    snowplow sites. All the hanging/exposed wiring scares me
    as not to last too long during heavy snow events, scraping
    and brushing around them or how those dangling wires
    would hold up after HOURS of usage during plowing !

Heck..The "winter" style blades are bad enough! They have
    ruined the windsheild on my 04! You can see the wiper
    pattern "burned" into the windsheild..........

Oh well should have my new 07 in a week or so.
    No V-max package on the 3/4 tho.!
    But that 6.0 should have enough GRUNT to drag a blundra
    around........LOL! :P
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    They should just make heated windshields an option on all of those vehicles.