Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2.0 AWD vs. BMW 328xi

shmoogshmoog Member Posts: 5
i need to get a new car ASAP and have narrowed it down to the the Audi A4 2.0 Quattro vs. BMW 328xi - looking for something fun / sporty to drive around the city, but want to be thrifty, esp. given that i am only putting 5K mi / yr on my car right now - really torn b/t these two - the bmw is $75 more per month for a 36 month lease - also, if i want, i can lease the bmw for 30 months if i want at the same price - any opinion?

Comments

• dmandman Member Posts: 24
    I test drove the 328xi. Nicer handling, but for the same price as a fully loaded A4, the BMW felt like a stripper (well, it did have one or two options but not much else). Plus, it might be harder to get a deal off MSRP since the new body is still in its first year of production and higher in demand than the B7 that's been out for twice as long. $75/mo is an extra $2700 over the life of the lease.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Plus, it might be harder to get a deal off MSRP since the new body is still in its first year of production and higher in demand..."

Ummm, sorry, but no. The E90 has been sold here in North America for something like 23 months. Deals, even very good deals can be had if you shop around a bit.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • shmoogshmoog Member Posts: 5
    i decided to go with the A4 over the 328xi - after driving both cars, i felt that 1) the audi was every bit as much fun / fast to drive as the 328xi; 2) the interior of the audi was a bit nicer / more comfortable; and 3) about $3600 less over the course of a 36 month lease - given that i drive low mileage (5000 mi / yr) mostly in the city (chicago), i think the audi is a very practical choice - i also felt that the 328xi was just a bit disappointing; it seemed too lack any real "oomph" in the way it drives (drags a little bit), looks or feels inside - seemed a bit disappointing, esp. after driving the 335i which is a rocket (but also costs almost $10K more over 3 years than the audi) - happy with my decision!!! :shades:
    The 2.0T does feel quicker around town but IMO it starts to die at around 70-80mph, still fast enough and keeps me a little safer from the local authorities. I think the 328xi might still keep pulling at those speeds but I didn't test that on my test drive.

Yeah, it seems that people are getting deals on the BMW, but here in WA state, I went to the arguably "best" BMW dealership here and they wouldn't come down from MSRP for me even after I asked them twice.
    wow - they want you to pay msrp for a 3 series? i had several dealers in chicago that were willing to take $2200 off any bmw 3 series? on the audi, my discount was only $1500, but the msrp is $7K less than the 328xi
  • fighter1fighter1 Member Posts: 18
    Would you mind to gibe me couple dealers names willing to take off $2200 of MSRP, please? I am shopping for 328xi in Northwest saburbs
    perillo and fields - but i'm sure any other dealer in the chicagoland area would meet it if you tell them that you were already quoted $2200 off by one of these other dealers - good luck!
  • msobermanmsoberman Member Posts: 1
    I agonized over the decision between these two. The A4's somewhat rough idle was a turnoff, but overall the performance and handling were just a hair below the BMW. The interior and electronics of the A4 were superior to the Bimmer. The A4 was a much better value. Even fully loaded and with the Audi Care plan, it was almost $100/month less than a 328xi with less equipment( and I had negotiated a huge discount on the BMW). After 9 years and 3 BMW's this is my first Ausi. So far, I'm very happy with the decision. Buying experince/dealer (HBL in Tyson's Corner, VA) was first rate.
    Good choice - I felt exactly the same way about my decision making process and was also a BMW owner for years. The A4 is great - and the $100 savings is a nice bonus!
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Great thread - I am considering exiting my '05 Highlander for a sports wagon and these two keep coming to the top of my research. I have driven the 328xiT but only a short test; and have not driven the A4 at all yet. I am probable a ways off from making any decisions so I hope there will be more posts on here over time.
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    I have driven a 325 extensively for the last 3 months and test drove an A4 on an hour test ride on country roads. The 325 was faster in the low speeds and its straight 6 is much more reponsive coming out of a turn at 35 mph than the A4's turbo 4. But I think at 45 - 60 mph and 55-70, the acceleration is similar and the Audi seems to accelerate on the freeway with more ease. The 325 has tighter steering and is more nimble on winding roads - but not by much. I find the A4 a little easier to control (more compliant?) - perhaps because of the Quattro or perhaps just my driving style.

The A4 has a much nicer interior, and a bigger trunk. The A4's ride is smoother in that you do not feel every bump. The 325 is not harsh but if you drive a lot of potholed roads, you know the holes are there. The A4 is more spacious. I am 6-2, with a long torso and find the 325 confining - everywhere. I don't care about the back seat so have not even got into one. Finally, and this may seem subjective but is important to me; male BMW drivers are thought of as cocky and aggressive and I think Audi's don't really have any particular stigma (I won't answer the question if I actually drive cocky and aggressive....) Just my 5 pesos.
  • rjkarjka Member Posts: 1
    I've just purchased a 328xit wagon after owning an A4 sedan for 7 years. It's a tough choice and honestly I went with the BMW largely just to try something new and partly because I was not impressed with the transmission/rougher engine in the newer Audis than my old one. You will get more room in the Audi and a more luxurious interior and while its MSRP is a bit less, I think you might be able to negotiate a better deal on the BMW wagon because they seem to be less popular.
  • yoshodeepyoshodeep Member Posts: 6
    Just traded in my '05 A4 2.0T Quattro for a '07 328xi. There's no competition! As far as driving dynamics is concerned, the 328xi is miles ahead. The "Oomph" factor is way better as well. However, A4 with its full size spare is much better than BMW’s run flat tires. A4 also had better cup holders!
  • greg565greg565 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2007 328i after our '05 A4 1.8T Quattro caught on fire in our garage. I will never consider an Audi again for two reasons; 1) Spontaneous combustion, extreme safety hazard especially if you want to garage you vehicle and 2) Very poor service (as in non-existent service) from Audi on a warranty issue.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    I think I may have solved the problem. I am considering trading in my 2004 X3 for a 2008 3 Series hardtop/convertible. I haven't had a convertible since my 1960 Sprite, and I did try it with the top down and it was fun! Also tried a manual, which I haven't owned since I was a teenager and I really like it.
    My wife wants to get an Audi with manual transmission and I loved driving one of those...I really like turbo chargers. She is trading in a 2003 Mercedes C Class wagon which is very nice and comfortable, but not much fun and is anemic. I kind of like the dynamics of the A4, great interior, good vision, very comfortable seats, and one helluva kick from that turbo engine!
    Any comments?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• das107das107 Member Posts: 6
    I am trying to decide btwn the A4, 328xi (auto) and the Lexus IS 250 awd. The BMW has a great 4 year maintenance program covering oil and fluid changes, as well as items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear – such as brake pads, brake rotors and wiper blade inserts. I like the interior of the A4 better. As for the Lexus, it comes with almost everything standard but it costs more. I live in the city, drive to and from work which is not far, want something sporty and fun to drive and most importantly want to get the best deal possible. I thought I read that the A4 is changing the 08' models (where the axel is located?). Any suggestions? I live in Chicago so if anyone has had any good experiences with dealerships please share. Thanks!!!
  • rongrong Member Posts: 9
    Please let me know your feedback on the below deal:
    328 with Sport PcKG, Auto,none metallic, heated seats, leather, for 36 months, 10k miles for $469 with $1,080 total out of pocket, included all takes and fees.

Does anyone know what the August leasing programs are going to look like, 2008 leasing?

This deal is a better than what I got on Audi A4 and A3

Thanks
    Please let me know your feedback on the below deal:
    328 with Sport PKG, Auto,none metallic, heated seats, leather, for 36 months, 10k miles for $469 with $1,080 total out of pocket, included all takes and fees.

Does anyone know what the August leasing programs are going to look like, 2008 leasing?

This deal is a better than what I got on Audi A4 and A3

Thanks
    I also looked in those three cars and I am leaning now toward the BMW. The IS250 is not fun to drive although the material and finish are first class, to my opinion too fragile.
    The A4 is at the end of its life and a new model is expected to be introduced in 2009. The only thing which intrigued me to go with the Audi their excellent DSG gear, is not offered on the A4 and it is not expected on the 2008 as well. I drove this gear on both A3 and GTI and its fun to drive. I heard that the the A4 08 will come with the S Package as standard at least the exterior appearance of the s package which does nothing to move me.

You should really drive the car. BTW- I am turning back my SAAB and it felt peppy and sporty from the other choices, but it falls on built quality and handling. The GM ownership did only bad as well
  • fzzlfzzl Member Posts: 3
    rjka - i'm closing in on a purchase of a 328xi wagon. if you wouldn't mind disclosing, what options did you get and how much did you pay? Just trying to figure out the sweet sport relative to msrp/invoice. thanks
    I have DSG on my '07 A4 and I've seen DSG's since the '04.5 models. Did they cut it out for the '08 models? I don't think they did...

The new B9 A4 looks more like a bimmer to me. A good thing to some, a bad thing to others.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    You have a DSG on an A4? My bad if I've missed it, however, I don't believe that there were any A4s made with the DSC for the 2007 model year.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    So which one of these vehicles spends less time in the service dept? I'm currently looking for a vehicle to replace my MDX/GTI combo (see profile). MDX spends zero time in the shop :) but now I live 1 hour away from dealer. BMW and Audi dealers close by. Thanks for any help.
  • vvurdsmythvvurdsmyth Member Posts: 1
    I wouldn't touch an Audi on principal; so they won a few races, they don't need to stick it to BMW in their ads... and then BMW takes the Nurenberg 24hr - Audi is 4th; and I'd argue with the contention that Audi drivers don't have an attitude - they make a point of passing every BMW they can; let them, they will be the new target of the radar gun.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I went with the BMW. ;)
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Shipo, you know a lot about lubrication and maintenance, so I value your advice. My wife owns a '07 A4 Quattro T4 with 6 speed automatic with 50,000. It's just out of warranty, and we'd like to keep it a long time because we enjoy how the car drives, rides and looks.

How frequently would you replace oil and filter (we use Mobil 1 0-40W)? How about the coolant, which is supposed to be lifetime; the transfer case fluid and all other components associated with all wheel drive?

Any other suggestions from you or anyone who's surpassed 100,000 miles with their Audi Quattro would be welcome.
This discussion has been closed.