Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Warranty Questions

jessica2001jessica2001 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Volkswagen
I really need urgent help on any advice about VW powertrain warranty. my car is a 2004 VW passat. This morning I drove it to the water on the road ( just after a storm). The engine was then silent in the water. We several people pulled it out of water and called towing service to VW dealer. the dealer said all time has been reserved today, I have to wait until tomorrow.

I don't know how severe my car's problem can be, just felt it will be a BIG trouble. I don't know if Powertrain warranty will cover any possible cost (My car is 2 years old, still in the warranty). If the engine has to be replaced, how much will it cost? Is it possible that VW cover the replacement of engine?
Any advice will be greatly appreicated. I am really worrying about my car. she has done great job in the past 2 years. :cry:

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Simple answer here. If your engine ingested water through the intake system (not at all unlikely), your warranty is null and void on the engine. Period, full stop, the end. As for the cost, I've heard that the older 1.8T engine was $7,000 to $8,000 dollars, so figure on at least that for the replacement. That's the bad news. The good news is that your car insurance will likely pick up a sizeable portion of the new engine as what you effectively encountered was a road hazard. My advice, call your insurance company right now.

Let us know how you make out.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jessica2001jessica2001 Member Posts: 3
    thank you so much, shipo! Your opinion really helps. I just feel disappointed that warranty won't cover big loss. the dealer will argue that It is my fault to drive the car into the water, not caused by their car's defect?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "I just feel disappointed that warranty won't cover big loss."

To be quite honest, I don't understand your disappointment. A warranty is to cover you from a manufacturing defect or a design failure. In this case, VW is saying, "We warrant that your vehicle will not suffer from a manufacturing defect or a design failure for a period of so many months or so many miles from the date of purchase." No manufacturer in the world would cover internal engine damage from water ingestion under their warranty, not even one. Why? Water ingestion is quite simply the operator's fault. True, it may have been unavoidable just like accidents are often unavoidable, but that shouldn't leave the manufacturer on the hook for the repairs. Think about it this way, you're driving along in your brand new car one night and are very sleepy. After a while you fade off and wake up as your car is smashing into a tree and the airbags are going off saving your life. Would you then expect that the maker of your car should fix it under warranty?

Back when I worked for MB-USA, the CEO of the North American operation drove his 12-Cylinder S600 through a "Puddle" and it quit. Once the car was towed into the MB shop, the On-Board Computer (OBC) told an entirely different story however. It said that he'd been applying 60% throttle (i.e. putting out over 230 hp) for nearly ten seconds, and yet, the car had only been able to maintain a speed of about 18 mph. That must have been some puddle and one hell of a bow wake!

When MB-USA tore the engine down, the insides looked like some enormous press had gone to town on the parts, twisting and bending them in very unnatural ways. For his car the price-tag came out to $25,000 for the short block (the engine with out cylinder heads or any other parts), plus all of the labor to literally disassemble the car, inside and out, to dry it out and put it all back together, including the new core of the engine. I'm thinking the total bill was well over $50,000 to put that car back on the road. Rumor had it that the fifty large came out of his bonus. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jessica2001jessica2001 Member Posts: 3
    I see, thanks shipo. bless my little poor car. she is really a trouble free and fun filled car. I want to drive her for the rest of her life.
  • ejthomejthom Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2004 Passat right at the point of its 4 year anniversary and was told by the dealer that my front CV joint boots need to be replaced because they've split. Are these covered under the 4 year Powertrain/Drivertrain warranty?
  • Passat01DCPassat01DC Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Passat. An independent mechanic told me that I have an oil leak and that it is common on Passats. He also said it should be covered under the Powertrain warranty, but that VW is resisting claims for this problem because it is so prevalent. Has anyone had this experience?
This discussion has been closed.