Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Spot delivery - Soon to be illegal?

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,055
edited March 2014 in General
Have you heard the stories about buyers taking delivery of a car on the weekend, then getting a call weeks later that the dealership can't get them financed, and they have to bring the car back?

A judge in Ohio says the dealership can't have it both ways.

Cincinnati Enquirer - Couple wins suit on van return
Judge: Conflicting agreements unlawful

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    wow!
    pretty interesting. It would certainly affect my car shopping ability. I (along with probably 90% of buyers) can only get to a dealership when the banks are closed.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    That would be a huge PITA for most all of us. Other than the first new car I bought, I have always taken delivery same day and was always a weekend.

Can you imagine having to burn a vacation day to go buy a car?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    It's not mentioned in the article, but could this have started as one of those "we thought we could get you the best rate but you have to come back and deal with a higher rate" and teh customer just called their bluff?

It's junk like that that keeps me going in with prearranged financing. If the dealer can beat my prearranged rate, fine. If not, that's fine too, for me.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,055
    I think you've got the point..

The judge doesn't want the dealer to have the ability to execute a contract, and get the buyer to commit, when the dealer has an out... "You are committed, but we aren't"..

You don't think a dealer would quote a rate that he knows he can't get for a buyer, just to hit their target payment? And, then... call them back and tell them they have to pay more? After their trade has been sold, and they've shown their family and friends their new ride?

That couldn't happen, could it? :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    "That couldn't happen, could it?"

Oh, no. No. NO. Of course not....... ;)

It will be inetersting to see how this one plays out!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    In all honesty, I've never heard of a spot delivey being done here in the Boston area. Maybe it's just not done around here. Personally, I know I wouldn't accept one - I want to have all the I's dotted and T's crossed before I bring the car home.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    really? nobody carshops on a saturday in boston? or on a thursday night after 6 pm? it might be much more common than you think.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Same thing happenned to my parents when we first came to Canada in the late 80s. Obviously they had very little or no credit, just started working, and we went (I was 9 or 10 then) to a Ford dealer and made a deal on a Mercury Sable.

The family Tempo was traded in, and we came home with the Sable. The next day they call us to bring the car back, or more cash down, or something to that effect.

Either way, my folks were ticked off, and we took our old Tempo back home as the deal was cancelled.

Fast forward to about a year ago:

This same Ford dealer that did the deal was famous here for finacing anyone and everyone. They would charge crazy rates on used cars, most of them rebuilds from back east.
    Then they had to shut their doors forever cause (rumor) they made a deal for a bunch of trucks to be shipped in the Us and the buyer backed out, costing the dealership millions in custom inventory they couldn't sell.

Most of the salesguys there were old school pressure types, even though I'm sure they had a handful of decent guys on staff.

But I guess what goes around comes around.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

This discussion has been closed.