Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra General Operational Questions

hbridgeshbridges Member Posts: 3
I just purchased a 2006 silverado. The manual that came with the truck talks about a driver information center (dic) located on the instrument panel cluster above the steering wheel, the books mentions things like driver preferences, etc. My truck does not have the driver information center buttons but when I crank the truck "driver 1" displays where the digital odometer is and then disappears displaying the odometer. This "driver 1" leads me to beleave that there are some preferences that can be set for different drivers but I have no idea how to do this or is this just not possible without the driver information center buttons.

Comments

• porkchopxxxporkchopxxx Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2000 GMC Pickup.

The sticker on the door says it was built in 06 2000.

The reason I ask is because a buddy just bought a 2000 Chevy and his sticker in the door said it was built in 08 1999.

What do they use as the cutoff date from year to year.

Thanks
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    By federal law, a manufacturer can manufacture a vehicle one numeric year early but not past Dec 31 of the same year - for example, a 2007-model vehicle can have a date of manufacture from January 2006 to December 2007. (Ford may have found a loophole to this since they began production of the 2008 Super Duty trucks in December of 2006, although they may have waited until January 2007 to complete them, giving them a legal manufacturing date.)

Most manufacturers will produce a model-year vehicle from July to June. Redesigned vehicles are usually the ones that will have more unique ranges in their first year.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • porkchopxxxporkchopxxx Member Posts: 2
  • lionslions Member Posts: 20
    Ok another question 2002 ext cab z71 with fog lamps my dealer says there sealed. I washed my truck and the fog lamp cover came off i tried to put it back on but i couldn't because the gasket just fell aprt i called my dealer again and said they can't be sealed beams i talked to the parts dept they said there sealed i asked again and they haven't returned my calls. At $93.00 a peice thats a rip off espically when there suppose to be sealed,Why then do they have a cover that can come off?? Thank You Lions
  • stariostario Member Posts: 3
    Good Morning,

I have a 2007 chev z71 1500 quad cab, classic style truck... whew thats a mouth full. My broke the passanger mirror off, the price to replace it is $900.00 through a dealership. Some car supply store can get replacements parts for 06 for half that cost, would it be the same mirror? I don't think there i any diffrence between the 06-07, i think they were just left over 06's....
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Do you have the black power heated mirror?

GM does sell just the pieces. I can assume you broke
    the glass and the cover???

Check http://www.rockauto.com
    Even do a search for GM parts and check the discount GM
    wholesale part dealers.

Note the mirror replacement is a EASY DIY job and you
    don't have to remove the door panel. Just the little
    black trim piece above the door panel and remove 3
    bolts and plug in !
    Heres a link to instructions and pics:
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175712
  • stariostario Member Posts: 3
  • guardian03guardian03 Member Posts: 12
    GM Parts Direct.com sells the camper style mirrors with power adjustments and turn signal for $172 apeice. May want to see if this will fit your needs. $900 seems pretty steep for a mirror. Here's a link to their mirror:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=15904034
  • ducker1ducker1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to locate the heated seat computer on my 2004 Silverado. can anyone help me locate this. The seats do heat but they shut off after about a minute or two.

Thanks.
  • flysprayflyspray Member Posts: 15
    Does the Keyflop lock and unlock the lockable tailgate on the new 07 silverado 1500 NBS. I asked the dealer and he said he didnt know. Does anyone have the lockable tailgate... and does the keyflop lock and unlock it

gregC
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    If by "keyflop" you mean the electronic gizmo, the answer is 'no', it doesn't unlock the tailgate.

I have the EZLift tailgate. It is a nice feature and is lockable/unlockable with the ignition/door key only.

1offroader
  • ducker1ducker1 Member Posts: 3
    Im sorry to hear that the keyflop doesnt unlock the tailgate. I guess if I want it to work Im going to have to install a aftermarket remote unlock. I would also want it to unlock the bed lid... If I ever find a bed lid for the 07 NBS extended cab with the 8 ft bed. Im just hope I can find a keyflop that will work on both the doors and the aftermarket unlock devices.

gregC
  • lionslions Member Posts: 20
  • chattlax2chattlax2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 gmc sierra and I am having trouble getting the key to turn consistently..It usually works when I turn the wheel and it locks into position- but it takes a couple tries to get it to work, I am not sure if there is something mechanically wrong with it or if I'm just not starting it correctly? thanks
  • sgabel23sgabel23 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Sierra 1500 sle pick-up and I want to know what type of oil I should be running in this truck with the 5.3 iron block motor. The book says 5w30 but should I run synthetic or normal oil?

Also, My on-star tells me I'm do for my first oil change at 8,800 miles. I'm only at 3000 right now. Should I go by that? I've always changed my oil every 3000. Which should I go by?
    Thanks
  • bkerchakbkerchak Member Posts: 9
    I have an 07 Silverado with 4.8 v-8 and was told at an orientation at my dealership that I should schedule an oil change only after the light/onstar tells me to....I asked about 3,000 mile change and I was told that if I wanted to waste my money they would take it....but again wait for the light/onstar.......as far as full synthetic I was told that it wouldn't be necessary since motor oil technology has been greatly improved....but If I wanted to run it I should wait to at least 5,000 miles to allow the engine to settle and for everything to get seated properly.....just what I was told at my dealership....I hope it is helpful
  • 2007denali2007denali Member Posts: 16
    I own a 2007 Sierra Denali with the 6.2L engine. I currently have 2,000 miles on the engine. I plan on changing my oil for the first time at 3K miles with Mobil 1 Extended Performance. I agree with the wasting your money comment about 3K mile changes, but I would be nervous going past 5K miles on conventional oil. I've personally been sold on the Mobil 1 Extended Performance (Full Synthetic)that's guaranteed for 15,000 miles or one year. I change my own oil and I find that it saves me a lot of time and hassle.
  • summerwind4summerwind4 Member Posts: 20
    my '00 rado with 5.3 is at 260,000 miles right now and does not burn oil............have run Mobil 1 since the second oil change.
    may do it on my GMT-900 with 5.3 as well.
  • sgabel23sgabel23 Member Posts: 2
  • dhillgerdhillger Member Posts: 7
    I drive a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 4.3L v6. Nothing is wrong with it but whenever I accelerate when it is cold, a fluidly sound comes from under the dash like water rushing through a big hose. It is probably normal but I was wondering what it was. Any explanation would put me at ease, thank you!
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    I had EXACTLY the same problem in a completely different vehicle - 2002 Nissan Altima. Turns out it was a very small leak in the radiator, and the system would not hold pressure. When the leak was fixed the noise went away. Not sure why such a small leak would cause such a big noise, but that's what it was. You might want to have the cooling system pressure tested for leaks.

1offroader
  • dhillgerdhillger Member Posts: 7
    I checked the cooling system and everything is normal. Could it be the heater coil? Is the heater coil located under my dash somewhere?
  • danno4danno4 Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a 1995 silverado 4x4 with crew cab and 5.7l engine with 140,000 miles. I cannot find anywhere in the owners manual as to when to change the timing chain. The previous owner said he had not done it. Any help? Thanks
    Dan
  • otto8otto8 Member Posts: 116
    ON most single cam in block v-8 engines the timing chain is steel
    unlike some belt driven engines and is usually a "life of engine" part
    and is not replaced unless it fails in most cases........................
  • danno4danno4 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, another Silverado friend said that he never had his changed out and he is at 200K. So, I guess I am good to go for awhile.
    Dan
  • z15z15 Member Posts: 2
    Driver 1 refers to the key fob you are using. Use the other one and it will be driver 2.

So assume you have power mirrors, power seats etc. You set them for your comfort by pressing and holding the 1 on you door pad till it beeps. So, next time you drive the truck, you insert key fob 1 (look for the number 1 on back of fob) and if the seats, mirror, were changed since you last drove (wife used fob 2 and set to her liking), they will remember the setting for Driver 1 and adjust to those settings.

Not possible with out the DIC or the luxury LT features. It comes with the LT option.
  • dkj313dkj313 Member Posts: 2
    Call me crazy but the other day I noticed my steering wheel doesn't lock when I take the key out. Has it all ways been like this and I am just noticing this now?

2007 Silverado Classic W/T
  • kiernan_2001kiernan_2001 Member Posts: 5
    Have you found out how to fix the heated seats in your truck? I am having the same problem and it just started recently. Thanks
  • kornkurtkornkurt Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2008 Silverado. I would like to program the automatic door locks so they do not automatically lock, but the best my dealer could do is get them to lock when I have been going 8mph for 3 seconds and unlock when I put it in park. In my 2004 trade in I was able to disarm them. Is it possible to turn them off? Thanks for any help you can give me to this annoying problem!!
  • otto8otto8 Member Posts: 116
    Sorry Korn.................yer outta luck!
    GM and the feds gave us another "nanny" to save us from ourselves !
    From 2005 and up you can only set the auto locks to either lock when
    put in gear or at 10 mph. NO more shutting them off like our 04s did !

Heres other gem "nannies" we now have with out GMT-900s:

No more turning off the door/key-in/seatbelt chime warning !
    All you can do is have it either sound off loud or soft.............
    Or throw away your stock radio for a aftermarket unit. The chime has
    been generated thru the radio since 03 or 05 I believe.
    My 01 had a seperate chime unit I just unpluged!
    But Crutchfield audio DOES sell a module to enable a aftermarket radio
    to produce warning chimes! Must sell a lot of them ya think?

Another is the wonderful Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).
    Mine has been going haywire since new. First it was just a warning light.
    After being ignored now it won't show any tire pressures and I get multi
    service lights and a chime!
    I think my truck wants to mate with the dealers Tech 2 machine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 03 Caddys TPMS ain't made a peep since new !

Nice truck tho..........No other issues and I work it hard snowplowing or
    heavy towing!................... :P
  • mule4mule4 Member Posts: 36
    I don't know about the fed law. Some other brand of trucks can have the door locks turned off completely & the passenger side seat belt chimes can be turned off but the light still flashes. Maybe your dealers telling you that like gm dealers do.Don't Know But I do know gm dealers lie.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    So what exactly is your point? That you don't know federal law? or that some other truck's chime can maybe be turned off? That dealers lie?

I would think the best bit of advice would be to read the owner's manual? Make sense to you?
    The post should speak for itself. I don't know if there is a law or not . But other brands of trucks can be changed.So why can't gm.if others can do it. About beinging lied to check out other gm post about some of their experiences. beinging told their problems are normal.I know i've been lied to alot of times.about the gm cars & trucks i've owned.But it won't happen again
    Being lied to isn't brand specific rather dealer specific. On any given day you could go to any dealership and get lied to and it could be just that they are too busy to care. I don't see how your post helps the original poster cause all you're saying is that all GM dealers lie, right?

I remember all those Toyota owners being lied to and being called liars when they tried to get relief for their sludged vehicles. But that is way too off topic.
    I'm saying why don't gm change the settings if other brands can.Most people don't like their doors to lock when working in & out of their trucks.Or seat belt chimes going off when moving a few feet.A flashing light should be enought.The man should change dealers. He might get it changed.
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    Not to be a wise A--,but when i bought my 3 trucks i bought them for what i thought a truck was supposed to be,to haul. Mine didn't have all the creature feature toys to go wrong, and have to pay mucho bucks for. IMHO,its time to get back to basics.
    O.K,now start the flaming. ;)
    After the psychiatrists invented Attention Deficit Disorder, the truck manufacturers with the help of their attorneys developed all these fail safes to protect the owners. Because of all these additional features, back in 2003 GM decides to do away with the cabin air filter on their trucks which IMO thought was one of the better features with all the air pollution. But I digress, and will not buy another GM truck because of the lack of a cabin air filter.
  • erobinson35erobinson35 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 08 Sierra SL and want to add the driver information center buttons so I can change lock options, see fuel economy, etc. I see the panel is available from GM accessories but is it plug and play or does it require dealer programming to make it work. I know some of the info is there. When Onstar emails me a diagnostic it shows individual tire pressure but I only have the idiot light without the buttons. Has anyone added this option or know what is involved. I called the dealer but they didn't have a clue that this was even available as an accessory so they really didn't know what it entailed.
    DIC is a plug and play feature. There is a post on here about it. What it entails is buying the DIC, removing what's there and plug in the unit. No programming needed by the dealer. Think the part was something like $100.

It is easy and many have done it especially those with the W/T trucks. I'll post the link if I can find it.

Found it.

DIC upgrade
  • erobinson35erobinson35 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. That is what I hoped to hear.
    Hey mule maybe you could help hdfatboy over at the Toyota Sequoia forum. Apparently he was told by the Toyota dealer that there is a Daytime Driving Light switch which will disable the DRL located on the stalk with the regular light controls. He says he can't find it but on the Moroney sticker Toyota charges him $40 for that DRL switch. Dealer tells him he has to have it if it's on the sticker but he still can't find it. Those lying Toyota dealers eh?

Back to topic. One wonders why GM cuts costs in the areas they do. The DIC is a $100 and I would think the information it provides is well worth the price. Guess the bean counters at GM think differently.
  • dan136dan136 Member Posts: 2
    my truck will start on a nice day, but when there is alot of moisture it wont start or if it does it jerks and acts like its starving for fuel. i had a tuneup took it back 2x
    they told me i hadbad wires or cap, i thought they fixed it but ??? i was going to buy a fuel pump, but i don't know if thats the problem..
  • mac53mac53 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 GMC 4WD with ABS. When coming to a slow stop, the ABS kicks on and stays on until I pump the brakes. It doesn't do this on hard stops. It seems to be especially bad when parking in a parking lot. Anybody else had a problem with this?
  • wdesign1wdesign1 Member Posts: 2
    The fuel tank capacity of my 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (diesel) is specified as 26 gallons. When I run to empty (~20 miles indicated on the computer range function) and fill the tank, it only holds 20 gallons.

I assumed a sensor/sender was out of calibration but my dealer says that Chevy designed it to have a six gallon "reserve". I can't believe that they would use almost 25% of your tanks capacity for a reserve that is hardly going to be used.

Should I run my truck 100+ miles past empty and see if my mechanic is telling the truth?
    My search of this forum didn't show any discussion of this. Has anyone else seen this before?
    Thanks, Mike
  • wdesign1wdesign1 Member Posts: 2
    This is nothing new. GM has done this since 1999. I have personally noticed this on Dodge, Ford and Toyota trucks all with fuel reserves of approximately 6-7 gallons to idiot proof refueling as some run longer than normal and do run out of gas.
  • efunk_76efunk_76 Member Posts: 2
    Was question #17 answered? Sorry, new user
  • efunk_76efunk_76 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 silverado ignition won't turn when key is put in to start. Is it my security system that has locked i?