Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra General Operational Questions

2»

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    No it wasn't.
    I have that same problem on my '02 Denali. Not sure if its the steering or the security. Moving the steering wheel around eventually gets it started and since its really intermittent haven't done anything about it.
  • ritchiecritchiec Member Posts: 2
    Dan it could be the gas your buying, my wife's Cadillac does the same thing, but when she stopped putting the alcohol blend in her tank and went back to regular premium her problems went away. I don't believe the grain fuels are the answer for gasoline, Diesel maybe
  • chuck86chuck86 Member Posts: 1
    My gas gauge keeps going to 0 then back up to showing proper reading. I saw a forum discussing something about the connector? The truck just turned 100,000 and I've had it since new. It has had a couple occasions when all the dash lights came on at start up and idled poorly with the console lighting fading in and out. Also it hasn't started a couple times, but started after sitting a couple minutes. Repair shop can't find a reason. When I mentioned the gas gauge to the dealer they said they'ld check into it, which sounded kind of strange to me!
  • chevyboy7chevyboy7 Member Posts: 4
  • chevyboy7chevyboy7 Member Posts: 4
    does anyone know if i can pass the smog test with my check engine light on? it is just on because my fuel sending unit needs replaced so i figure that has nothing to do with smog so it should pass. thank you
  • tony191974tony191974 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a used '05 Silverado 1500 a few months ago and now that winter's here I tried to use the heated seats. I thought they worked when I bought the truck, but apparently not. Does anyone know how or know where to go for information about troubleshooting the heated seats and/or replacing the heating pad in the seats?
    Have you checked the fuse or the switch?
    Not directly. I don't suspect the switch or the fuse. The seat back heat works and the lower cushion does not. I only found one fuse listing "Heated Seats" so I suspect that all four heaters (2 driver and 2 passenger) are power via the same fuse. The switch appears to be a low voltage system (not direct drive to power the the seat heaters) as this model has three levels of heat. Each time I press the switch the heat level changes (off-high-medium-low-off-high- etc.).

Right now the most likely suspects in my book are the heat controller or the heating pad itself. But I can't quite figure out how to get it all apart. I purchased (ie., wasted my money) the Haynes manual. It has nothing about heated seats in it.
    The power for the heated seats comes directly from the battery via a 30 amp fuse located under the hood. I would agree that this is not the problem and it's either the heat element or connector.

There is an 18 step diagnostic to trouble shoot this problem. If you plan to work on this truck on your own I would suggest buying one of the following manuals:

Helm factory manual

Ebay

http://www.alldatadiy.com

I would recommend either of the first two while alldatadiy has most of the factory info online but not as comprehensive as the first two.
    Thank you for the help. I was looking for a better manual than Haynes. They really stink. Other than torque specs, they're not good for much else.

By the way your first two links are the same. Can you repost which ever option is missing, please.

Thank you.
    Helm Factory manual

Oops sorry about that.

Haynes couldn't even give me the right location on a thermostat for a Nissan truck. Never ever bought them again.
  • chevy82chevy82 Member Posts: 2
    okay I'm having problem with my truck.. i'am a female i know a little about trucks.. i can do my own tune up :) my truck has a 130 thousand miles on it..

i did a tune up on truck ,i changed oil and oil filter,spark plugs,wires, distributor cap and button,air filter a week ago.

okay, then i started was having problems with truck shifting hard so i had a trans flush with new filter and pan done and had rear end greased 3days ago,, :blush: i couldn't do that ..lol so i had it done..

well that half way fixed problem with trans, it's now not as bad but still fill it a lil but not as bad,

after all this has been done to truck know i got another issue and i don't know exactly what the problem is.. it cranks fine drives but for no reason just cuts off or if u leave engine running @ idle motor shakes and cuts off ??? don't know if it could be electrical problem or maybe just an easy fix ... please if u have any ideal as to what it maybe anything will be appreciated... :sick: :mad: thank you!!
    Try cleaning or replacing the idle air controller.
  • chevy82chevy82 Member Posts: 2
    update: finally found out what the problem was ... i dont know exectly what its called but it was the coil plug wire was bad, so i fixed that :( then i was still having problems.. so i had the the ignition module tested it was bad so replaced it,didnt wanna take anychances so i changed coil also ...and the hard shift i thought was transmission is gone shifts smooth know :shades: ...thank god !! know my truck runs great!!! ..

thank you obyone for the advice about the idle controller it also helped :D make my truck run even better .... again thank you!!
  • dozerjohndozerjohn Member Posts: 1
    when i get up to about 60 mph i start getting a vibration when i let off the gas it stops, when a touch back on the gas it starts again. the drive shaft is all tight thought it might be a universal going bad. it seems to be getting worse. seems to only do it in overdrive anybody got any thoughts on this?
  • helpmefixit2helpmefixit2 Member Posts: 1
    The drivers seat is electrical. The seat will only move up and down. Can not see any debris on tack. .Ttook seat apart, still could not see problem. It feels as though it is hanging up on the left side. Any help and suggestion would be appreciated!
  • manicmehanic72manicmehanic72 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    First off. How did you change the cap and button on a truck that does not posess a distributor? When they started installing the coil packs in fuel injected motors they ruled out the need for a distributor.
  • dhb4dhb4 Member Posts: 4
    Hi. My steering wheel won't lock on my 06 gmc sierra when I take the key out of the ignition, just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    No-not legally!
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299

I have a 2011 Silverado LT. I am supposed to have manually folding outside mirrors but they don't seem to fold. I don't want to break them. Is there some secret to this?

• dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299

This appears to be a useless forum. Doesn't anybody ever respond anymore?