Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Engine Problems

2»

Comments

• wlee1wlee1 Member Posts: 2
    This 1995 Windstar GL, has some serious issues, the problem you had discrible, indicates a blown head gasket, I had mind replaced 3 times...first 2 was repaired free, third costed me $2600 US dollars, it is very expensive repair.

you can check a few things to see if this might be the problem..
    you mentioned gasket burned, head gasket??

* did you notice exhaust bellowing white smoke before it stop running?
    * check the radiator, to see if you have any oil in the coolant?
    * any water or coolant in the exhaust system?

All indicates a blown head gasket, due to incompatible and chemical reaction of different metals of the gasket and engine.
  • azharjazharj Member Posts: 3
    windstar 2000 loses about one litre after 2000km no smoke no leak no oil in coolant. where is the problem
  • 1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    My pastor had a 94 Ford Ranger, when he would try to excellorate, the truck acted like it was starving for gas,he would have to let up on the gas petal or it would have stalled ! He took the truck to autozone and they knew what was wrong right away ! Tested the "Mass Air Flow" sensor and it was bad, put a new one on the intake hose , and it is still running great !
  • 1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    Over heating is usually caused by bad thermostat, make sure the belt is tight
    and in fairly good condition, also the water pump will cause your van to over heat.But if the water pump was bad ,you would have noticed a antifreeze leak
    even while it is setting still and engine not running ! If it is really hot where you live you might want to clean the radiator, dirt and grass will get caught in front of the radiator and you can clean it with a water hose , look in front of radiator and check for blockage !
  • missy61missy61 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I was heading down a dirt road when al of a sudden my 1996 Ford Wind-star had this loud noise under the floor I stopped to see if it was a flat for that's is what I thought no flat I got in and reverse it did not happen then I went on down the road and up a hill with the noise it had power but the noise was bad .. It got louder and kinda wobbled when I hit the brakes the more pressure the louder it got !!!

What is this and just how do I fix this.

Cant seem to get a hold of my sons or they would be able to tell me they know this kind of stuff. Help for I don't have the cash to get it in the shop and I am looking at starting a job here soon as Friday!!

I am on a Why Me Syndrome Fast reply is needed! More information on this I think its some thing to do with the transfer case for it would kind jump when placed in drive. 3.8 engine no other problems that are not of normal wear and use.

I have had a Drive line drop in a Jeep Wagoner so I know the feeling of something like that going out.. as well I have had a Piston shoot and brake and Arm and this is not no engine trouble it runs the same and has power so not no cam trouble... it has to do with the braking and drive mechanical parts.
    ie oil coolant and such. Nothing looks out of the norm under no cracks or dings on any of the cases no leaks out of the norm. Few months back it did over heat but its cause stupid has not changed the coolant in the last three years I was gone and its in break down so I was looking to get that flushed and freshened and the oil changed along with a new set of wires and plugs and maybe a new fuel filter as well here with first new job check.
  • ghanes1ghanes1 Member Posts: 1
    Right after starting the car the idle speed drops rapidly and will recover most of the time, sometimes the car will stall. No codes have set as of yet.
  • jscoobyjscooby Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    my van has an issue with running for about 20 min then shutiing off on it's own, then it will crank and not start, no spark. if i let the engine sit for about 20 min it will restart for a little while. i have relaced the cam and crank pos sensors and tried a new ign coil pack. there are no codes on the pcm. i even replaced the wireing between the pcm and the crank pos sensor due to fluids eating through wire casing. one thing to mention is the origonal failure wouldnt run neary as long before cutting out, maybe 2 min. then i replaced the crank pos sensor and the time went up to about 20 min. i keep reading about a key xciever problem but both keys act the same. at a loss except possably got a new part that is bad or the pcm is going, but again no repeatable codes, did get a eninge speed /ign circuit malfunction code once but could be because i had at high rev when engine died. anyone have anything else for me to check? email at j_scoobysnack@yahoo.com
  • mfacdgba33mfacdgba33 Member Posts: 19
    sounds as thought its leaking pressure in the heads or the plugs are fouling out or maybe clogged feul injectors. windstars are plagued with valve stem leaks
  • mfacdgba33mfacdgba33 Member Posts: 19
    01 windstar 3.8 6cyl. I have been been having plugs oil fouling about every 3 to 6 weeks with regular driving. After many replacements and newair and gas filters and all seals replaced to prevent vacuum leaks the problem continued. So the research began. Im at the point that the intake valve seals are bad and allowing oil to go into the cylinders a condition called atomization. Over the time that this has happened im also sure the valves will have alot of carbon and oil buildup on them and have to be replaced as well. Doing this will also mean another complete seal replacement and plugs. Everyone please give me your opinion on this and tell me if im correct in my research or not.
  • phalenphalen Member Posts: 6
    try a fuel filter
    sounds like you through a rod through the oil pan/you need a new engine
    try a fuel filter
    fuel filter maybe?
    on fuel injected engines idel is controlled by trottle position sensor/ it's on the throttle body/RPM is controlled by ecm/ what codes do you have?
    fuel filter?
  • darren19darren19 Member Posts: 1
    The part is the isolator bolt he is referring to, you will have to replace the manifold gaskets. The smoke tests fail because the smoke leaks internally and usually won't come out of the tail pipe either, because of the catalytic converter.
  • dutcher2dutcher2 Member Posts: 2

Had a similar problem. Changing the air filter solved it a couple of times.