Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Lemons

rgordmanrgordman Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Volvo
I have had six major repairs and recalls in 41,000 miles. Has anyone had their vehicle classified as a lemon by their state DMV?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I have had six major repairs ...

Can you elaborate?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rgordmanrgordman Member Posts: 3
    They have replaced the yaw sensor twice, both rear hubs, the rear drive gear, the battery shorted out in my garage and needed to be jump started (no reason identified) and there have been three minor recalls. There was one more repair that I believe was to the brakes.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The term "lemon" has a specific legal definition. Unfortunately, the definition is specific to each state. Typically, it refers to an issue for which a remedy has been attempted some number of times (3 or more) to no avail. While you're waiting for feedback here, I recommend reading through some of the messages in this topic: Lemon Law Questions

Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • magyarxc90magyarxc90 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased new XC90 in Feb 2005. This past Wed, total transmission failure!!! 2.5 Turbo, FWD, 13880 miles on it :sick: . Am currently awaiting new transmission. Any thoughts on the future of this vehicle? Should I push for a goodwill buyback? Thanks.
  • lwr1640lwr1640 Member Posts: 1
    Our 04 xc90 t6 was bought back by volvo after over a dozen repairs and 6 tows. we had to deal with idiots for 6 months and finally got a buy back offer after we wrote to the ceo and a customer satisfaction gal in sweden. our car had 24k on it. we were fortunate that we were past the lemon law mileage as we walked away free and clear and into a great deal on an 06 v8 fully loaded model. it is a gem.
  • frigfrig Member Posts: 1
    Would you please pass along the name of the CEO and customer satisfaction gal in swedens contact information? I have had my car staff on me twice now and am being told they do not know what the problem is. I am in desparate need of some time of assistance, as I am at retirement age (next year) and now I find it hard to trust the vehicle. Any information you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.
  • rgordmanrgordman Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, I do not have that information.
  • lovingmylexuslovingmylexus Member Posts: 7
    The first MONTH had over 12000 dollars in repairs!! Ended up being able to turn car in with no penalties! Keep on it and document document document!!!!!!!!! Now have a Lexus GX 470 and am loving not one problem! knock on wood!!! :)
  • jimmc2008jimmc2008 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 XC90. So far, complete transmission failure at 83,000 miles (three weeks ago..in the shop for a week...$4000 to replace and no offer from the dealer in Austin, Texas to discount replacement transmission or trim cost given the relatively low mileage). Headlights go on and off with "low beam bulb failure message" but it is probably not bulb failure as have had the right bulb replaced twice and now it is "failing" and returning 3x daily. Parking brake problems when car purchased, but repaired after return to dealership. Air conditioning is iffy--sometimes will blow hot air on A/C (may be faulty or dirty A/C sensors, but again, this is not a problem that I have had with other cars). XC90 may be a very safe car, but it is unreliable. Suggest an Acura MDX instead as my wife has one and almost no repairs in six years.
  • jimmc2008jimmc2008 Member Posts: 4
    I forgot to add that I had a clogged sunroof drain on my XC90 also and the passenger side floorboard was full of water after a big rain. Dealership in Austin, Texas did not acknowledge that this is a common problem with the XC90 design, but heard from someone else that it is. Dealership was only to glad to charge me to fix their problem.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    Assuming you have a T6 ... (?)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mikewill91mikewill91 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, we bought a brand-new 2006 Volvo XC90 in December of 2005.

Unfortunately, it's had the same fuel system problem for two years...when the car gets to around 1/4 tank, the engine starts sputtering and then shuts off.

(3) different Volvo dealerships have looked at the car...several new fuel pumps and fuel lines later, the problem still exists...

The car is now at a Volvo dealership, but they're refusing to replace it...

Any ideas? lwr1640, do you have any contact info you can share?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    sounds like a candidate for lemon law, certainly. call a lawyer.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• lmswjlmswj Member Posts: 1
    to lwr1640:
    i realize it's been a year since you posted your message. we are having recurring issue with our 2004 T5. tomorrow will be our 4th trip in 6 months to dealer service for ABS-skid failure/brake failure/transmission service required message. the 2nd trip was a complete failure and had to be towed. they have replaced a control module, relays and upgraded software. after each service saying 'should be/hope it's fixed". of course, my extended warranty just expired last month. the dealer did make a call to volvo to get a goodwill coverage of the service required last week (my 3rd trip). i'm very interested to see what they say tomorrow. in any case, i'm curious what kind(s) of check engine messages you got before your transmission failed. we have almost 50K miles on the car. i'm just trying to come armed to the dealer service with as much info as i can as they clearly don't really know what the problem is.
    thx.
This discussion has been closed.