Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Elantra Speedometer / Odometer

Comments

• nsaransara Member Posts: 1
    I have the 07 GLS/manual/newest manufacture set (with XM). Mfg date was 12/2006; bought 5/29/07. I noticed the 5mph discrepancy (confirmed by GPS) as everyone else did- it's not just the automatics. Incidentally, I used to drive an 03 Corolla LE, which was dead accurate with the same GPS. My elantra's odometer seems a little more accurate- based on mile markers, I gained 0.3 mi over 36 actual mi, which is less than 1%.

I got the instrument cluster replaced just last week, but the problem still remains. Only upside was that the car went in reading 2354 mi and came out with 3 mi (they did a road test to check my shifter); however, there's a yellow sticker on the driver side door stating that you have to add 2354 to the display...

Any ideas on what to do now, besides automatically adding 5mph at highway speeds?
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    Yes nsara...without retyping a lengthy book,,,go to MPG forum in here and see what i wrote

i did it by changing my tires..[lease go in and read it
    Yes nsara...without retyping a lengthy book,,,go to MPG forum in here and see what i wrote

i did it by changing my tires..please go in and read it
  • t0nyt0ny Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Elantra with the same problem as everyone else. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the speed sensor but this didn't fix the problem. I then went to Hyundai comsumer affairs web page and told them about the problem. I was directed to call an 800 number and then was told to contact the regional consumer affairs rep to get it resolved and if it didn't get resolved to call them back. The regional rep said to take it back to the dealer and call her back if it didn't get resolved. The dealer replaced the instrument cluster (which didn't correct the problem) and attached a copy of the manual page that gives the tolerance of +1.8/+4.9 MPH at 60 MPH (my car is 4MPH off at 60) and said it met the standards. I called the regional rep and was told it met the standards, then called the Hyundai rep and was told the same thing. I told them I wanted to talk to a supervisor and I'm waiting for a call back.

When I was talking to these people, they all seemed ignorant to the problem. I referred them to this site, but I doubt they looked at it. Has anyone had any luck getting this resolved and do you know exactly what part fixed it?
  • acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    My SE auto was manufactured in 09/2006. Purchased 11/06. Today I used GPS to check it. At 50 mph, the speedometer read 55. So I have the same problem, not sure whether i want to take it to dealer given the unsuccessful stories here.
  • ebbutsebbuts Member Posts: 20
    Reply 56 -- Don't give up. I know that Hyundai very well knows about this and is doing something about it. The way my 2007 SE was fixed was NOT by putting in a new cluster and whatever others have had done including some changing tires and wheels. What a waste. My car was fixed by the service manager by him first down loading a new program into his little black box and then loading the change into my car. It took about 5 minutes or less to re program my car. Then the other day I went back. The service manager hooked up his analyzer and laptop. We drove at different speeds from 35 thru 60. According to the laptop screen the speed was within 1-2 mph which is a lot better plus I know they won't do a thing about 1-2 unless headquarters tells them to. When this program will be available, I have no idea but I know it works. I have not checked the mile per mile tenths check but that will be next. If it shows I am putting on too many miles and hurting my warranty, I will go back "immediately if not sooner". The person who called the regional customer person, sounds like it was a woman, what was her phone number? Evidently it is different from the Customer Assistance phone number.
    I think speedometer off 5 mph isn't a real problem. Actually it makes it harder to get a speeding ticket. The real problem is if odometer runs faster than normal, as this affects warranty and depreciation.
  • loyolamdloyolamd Member Posts: 3
    Are all 2007 impacted with this issue? How would I know? I just bought my car yesterday.
    Even tho the Hyundai dealers may say only the automatics are involved, stick drivers have stated otherwise. As to reply 58, to each his own. No doubt there would be less traffic ticket possibility but maybe you would rather have the road rage. I will take a speedometer that is closer to perfect which also probably will never be.
  • mariogpmariogp Member Posts: 20
    ****DEPRICIATION****
    OK.. I JUST FOUND OUT SOME INTRESTING NEWS THAT I WAS NOT AWARE OF.
    AS FAR AS CAR DEALERS GO, WHENEVER THERE IS DOME KIND OF REPAIRS THAT AFFETC THE ODOMETER READING...LIKE IN OUR BELOVED CASE.. THEY HAVE TO CLAIM UNKNOWN MILAGE.. EVEN IF THEY DO KNOW THE ACTUAL MILAGE. HOW IS THIS GOING TO AFFECT ALL OF US IN THIS MATTER. WILL WE HAVE TO CLAIM UNKNOWN MILAGE WHEN WE SELL OR TRADE IN OUR CAR(IF WE EVER DO). THIS WILL TAKE BIG HIT ON DEPREICIATION.
    I THINK I WILL PREFER ON GETTING THE TRAFFIC TICKET RATHER THEN LOOSE $$$$ ON MY CAR.
    Do like i did and change the tires from 205-55-16 to 225-60-16....corrected the problem and the mileage is just about perfect....(odometer).....its actually a hair to my advantage...at 100,000 miles ill really have 101,500.....however...i'll probably really have about 100,000 without calculating the difference as the tires wear down and become slightly smaller as they lose tread...should be about a perfect match
    Why would anyone waste the money on tire size changing on a brand new car unless you own a tire shop. As I stated in some other reply, my car is within 1-2 mph right now and that was with some reprogramming that should be available all over hopefully soon. My odometer and trip meter are right on. The only thing I have to check is how the odometer and trip meter match up to the mile posts on the interstate. If it off to my disadvantage too much then I will complain some more otherwise I am satisfied. Haven't heard of anyone else getting the reprogram deal as of yet.
    Why would anyone waste money?.....................the tire shop gave me 250.00 Dollar credit....sold me the new tires for 330.00...A much better quieter tire. So for 80.00 my problem is solved......Now for my philosophy compared to yours....How many days will you lose the use of your car?
    How many trips to the dealer will you make....and each time leave thinking your problem has been solved but hasnt. How much time will be lost as they keep your car and do nothing....since they have no real fix yet...Yes...eventually they will and then after a person has so many thousands of miles on thier car...and when they go to fix it with the right software...YOUR car will be set back to zero...and your title will not carry the actuall odometer reading...and your car will be worth much less....I think my 80.00 solution is just about perfect....Rather than going through all that...and then losing value on my car....lol......peace out
    caaz

p.s. with my current reading....its right on the mileage markers.....before the new tires...my car would have read 100,000 miles...when it really only had 92,000....i didnt want to calculate that factor in each time i figured my gas mileage....or lose my 100k warranty 8k miles to soon
    Evidently, you caaz, didn't read all my posts. I emailed the Hyundai HQ, phoned the local dealer's service manager and waited 2 weeks. The service manager called me about a change he had. I had to go to the dealer area so did not make a special trip. It took less than 10 minutes for the service manager to do what he did and that is it. As I stated, my car speedo is within 1-2 mph, closer to 1 and I am satisfied. I have 9000+ on my car so I don't see any problems. I saved 80.00. The original tires are not noisy now so how would I compare yours to mine. So in summary, I didn't lose but about 10 minutes time and am happy.
  • dhr48864dhr48864 Member Posts: 19
    what do these numbers mean?
    205-55-16 to 225-60-16....
    caaz is talking about tires sizes.
    ty Mario....
    no problem.
    I assume you ment 15' tires vs 16's.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Or maybe even 15". It'd be tough getting into a car with 15 foot tires, ya know. :shades:
    I read that it's not a good idea to change tire's overall diameter by more than 3%. From 205/55-16 to 225/60-16, that's 7% percent change. Might cause new problems.
    No mario...se's & limiteds come with 16's not 15's....only the gls has 15 inch tires. And ( lol pat) 15 footers would be a lil tough. Ive never heard changing more than 3% does anything....my car rides even better, corrected the speedo AND odometer problem, and they aren't so big its affecting the engine power or performance, but i can tell its right about to the limit...any larger would start to make it feel lethargic. But its perfect right now with a better ride. Hope that helps
    ok..
    so what if I was to change my wheels/tires from 15's to 16's.. my speedometer is of by 5 miles.. and odometer puts in 5 extra miles on every 100 miles. any ideas?
  • johnwintxjohnwintx Member Posts: 7
    Instead of going to the expense of changing tires/wheels, why not just go to the dealer and have them run the new software update on your car that corrects the speed problem?
    Call your service manager to make an appointment. The correction takes about 30-min. or less.
    mario, you dont have to change to 16's you can use larger 15's DiscountTires.com has a tire calculator.......its pretty cool. You can put in any size tire......and the new size you might want....and it tells you the MPH change. But if you can do it in 30 mins from the dealer, like johnwintx says, try that 1st
  • yanjiyanji Member Posts: 3
    Could you let me know which dealer does this? I talked to the service manager of my dealer about this idea. He said he is interested in knowing how people solve this problem through re-programming.

Thanks!
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Is there a TSB for the speedo reprogram?
    I have not seen anything on a TSB. I feel Hyundai is dragging their feet to no end on this problem. As far as the re-programming, I will talk to the service manager that did my car, the only one I have heard of being re-programmed and ask if it is OK to mention this dealership which I doubt. The re-programming info he got I know came from a friend at a Hyundai group someplace but never told me where. But as I said, I will inquire. The re-programming certainly seems to be the simplest way to fix this. I have no idea if it affected something else but haven't seen or had any problems yet.
    so my speedometer is off by 5 mph. The other day I decided to check the odometer. And turned out it's 0.1 mile faster for every 5 miles. That's 2% error. I think the OEM tire is too small. I plan to change to 205/60R16 in the future (rather than the stock 205/55R16). I think that'll correct the odometer problem and reduce the speedometer error.
    i guess you havnt read any of the older posts in here...225-60-16 will correct it right on the money...go to discountTires.com and there is a tire calculator that tells you exactly the mph change with any tire size you put in..
    I guess maybe I am too old to understand some thinking today. If I have purchased a new car and it has a problem, why am "I" going to spend the extra money to fix the problem? What is the dealer and corporation for? Sure they are dragging their feet but not in my case and it was free, not the waste of money on different size new tires. You might at least wait until you have to replace them to get the new size. Plus, what else might the new tires throw off that none of us know about? My SE is just fine but still haven't checked the tenths out for error but will do that. I do know that besides the speed almost right on, the odometer and trip meter are the same. I definitely will not save Hyundai Corporation any money by doing their job.
  • tsarvaktsarvak Member Posts: 1
    How was this software update applied to your car? In other words, how/where did he hook up? If he did it in less than 5 minutes then apparently he didn't have to pull the dash/cluster.
    If you have any more detail to post about the software patch (name,revision,etc) it would be appreciated and would help me to make my case more forcefully and intelligently when I call my dealer this week.
    I bought my 2007 Elantra Limited (automatic) in June. It has a build date of 12/26/2006. Like so many others here, I too see a discrepancy of about 5-7 mph and an odometer that is racking up the miles faster than it should.
    Many thanks in advance.
  • bbessettebbessette Member Posts: 5
    I bought my 2007 Hyundai Elantra on July 24th, 2007 and thanks to this forum I knew about the speedometer issue. It wasn't enough to deter me from buying the car as I think it is the BEST value out there on the new car market. Anyway, I immediately found one of those speed signs that the police put out that register your speed and I made sure I was going 40 on my speedometer and the sign read 35. I then tried the exact same thing on another one of those signs in another state and it was exactly the same as the other one. My speedometer was showing 5MPH faster than the actual reading on the speed sign.
    So immediately I think that there is probably an issue with the odometer as well but I checked that on numerous occasions using mile markers on the road and the odometer appears to be right on. Anyway, I made an appointment with the Hyundai dealer and brought it in. Both the service manager and the mechanic said they had never heard of the problem which surprised me (after looking at this forum). So after 10 minutes the mechanic called me up to the desk and said I was right and the speedometer is showing exactly 5 MPH high. Anyway, they took some numbers off of the instrument cluster and they ordered a new cluster. I will bring it in for replacement when the part comes in. The service people were great and did not say anything about 5mph being within the spec. I will post after the work is done for an update. I am THRILLED with my car despite this issue. I paid 14.6K for the GLS but it had the preferred package with the power windows, fog lights, etc. I also love the X/M radio and the MP3 jack. I haven't used the CD player yet because I really have no need. The car handles like a dream and has good pickup and I can't believe that I paid about 3K less for this car than a comparable Mazda, Toyota, or Honda. DUH...

Regards,
    Bessebo
    I didnt say this was the best solution to the problem, i was just answering acuras question. Also, did you read the post following yours?, dealers are still claiming it doesnt happen and they have never heard of the problem before. Did you see thier solution?....order another cluster, which is NOT the solution according to you and others. The Software recalibration appears to be the proper solution. But....it appears 90% of the dealers cant do it yet, including mine, which is why i went with an easy tire change fix. I agree with you completely, the dealer should be doing this...but only a small handfull appear to know how. Until they do my 80 dollar solution worked perfectly, including the odometer is right on the money. Ive measured it 4 times going back and forth from Phoenix to So Cal. They gave me $250.00 for my original tires, so it hardly cost me anything, and for the $80.00 i got better tires and lifetime balance, rotation and road hazard included. Maybe when these tires are worn, Hyundai will have the available software and ill get it fixed then.

P.S. bbesette....I agree, its a great car for the money. My #1 like is how quiet it is as well as the price....I paid 13,280 for my Automatic SE.
    Wow! You got a better deal than I did and for the SE at that. Obviously I should've haggled lower but I am confident that I did get a good deal on the car. Anyway, I am having the instrument cluster changed next Tuesday and I will see if that fixes the problem. I will let ya know...

Regards,
    Bessebo
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If you don't mind telling us... what kind of deal did you get on the swap?
    My "out-the-door" price on the first 2007 Elantra was $16,034 (included tax/title/license/doc fee/dealer inventory tax). The payoff on the 'old' one was $15,671.67 after having it since March 16, 2007 and having put 3,150-mi on it.

My "out-the-door" price, after trade-in, on the 'new' Elantra was $19,826 (included tax/title/license/doc fee/dealer inventory tax).

BUT ... the 'new' Elantra has the XM, the 172-watt 6-speaker AM/FM/XM/MP3 radio with "hidden antenna" (as compared to the driver-side rear whip antenna on the first one); a driver-side overhead grab handle above the driver door; and a powered sunroof.

SO ... the 'new' one cost me $3,800 more than the 'old' one. I'm satisfied I got a decent deal considering they told me my 'old' Elantra was only worth 75% of the original MSRP because of 'depreciation.'

All-in-all, I think I got a decent trade considering the extras.
    Thanks for the details. You got a discount from MSRP on the first Elantra, right? So I expect most of that 25% "depreciation" from MSRP the dealer mentioned was in fact that discount.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A post had to be removed because it contained a name and telephone number and that makes the last few posts here seem way out of place. Since this is about the speedomer and odometer issues, maybe you folks could resume the conversation about the car swap in one of the more appropriate discussions in the Elantra group. :)
    Replacing the instrument cluster has, so far, proved to be a futile endeavor, from the previous posts here. I am assuming there must be some 'unofficial' fix floating around as my dealer (Capitol Hyundai, Kyle, Texas) service department scheduled me to come in for a 'software reprogram' which has, to their knowledge, fixed the problem in the cars they've redone so far. I did take my vehicle in for the update, and it was fixed to within 1-2 mph. And while there, I traded it in for a newer Elantra which is off 1-2 mph without readjustment, and I can live with that. So, bottom-line, it would appear there is a 'word-of-mouth' 'reprogram' fix that perhaps your dealer should investigate before tearing your dash apart and wasting both theirs and your time replacing a cluster that may or may not fix the problem.
    That is interesting. I tend to agree that I really don't want them to tear apart my dashboard and it may not even correct the problem. I will call the dealer and ask them about it.

I just got off the phone with the service guy at my dealer and he said that he has been instructed by Hyundai to replace the instrument cluster. I told him that others have had this fixed with a software re-program so he is at least going to look into it. I suggested they try the software re-program before they tear the dashboard apart so who knows? Maybe they will. Thanks for the info...

Regards
    OK, Here is the latest. I had my car in the shop yesterday and they replaced the instrument cluster. I went by the same stationary radar guns and they appear to register the exact same thing as before. On the speedometer it says 40MPH and on the radar sign it says 35MPH.
    I called the service guy back up and he says that Hyundai says that there is a 2-4 MPH tolerance that they have on the speedometer and my car is now at 4MPH. They also said after looking into it closer my car was really 7MPH high (before replacing the instrument cluster), not 5MPH that I thought. He is going to talk to his manager and he is going to talk to the Hyundai rep. I don't think this issue is ging to be resolved, to be honest with you. My main concern was the odometer and that appears to be right on. At least the first 1000 miles I put on the car is now back to 0 since they changed the instrument cluster. So I have an extra 1000 miles on my warranty...
    Except now your car's title needs to reflect that the odometer has been reset. :(
  • tenorlestenorles Member Posts: 3
    They finally fixed my speedo correctly. After replacing the cluster, which didn't improve the accuracy, a factory engineer came to my local dealership to fix my car. The service manager said they were pretty "tight lipped" about how they were fixing the problem, he was told they did a "software recalibration" - but they were not shown how to do it. Well, my speedo's accuracy is now acceptable, and I still believe that Hyundai has a much larger problem that they're trying to keep under wraps.
    What is the big hush-hush with Hyundai on this reprogramming thing. Evidently more dealers are doing in and without the help of a "factory engineer". In todays technical world this "fix" should be nothing to fix. Just a mystery to me.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    I just wanted to pop in and thank everyone who has brought this issue up. I'm shopping, and this definitely helps me with the buying decision.

I don't care if you can find a fully loaded '07 Elantra for $15,000 as some claim, to me, this doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle. I don't want to buy a car just to keep taking it back. It's enough to cross this car off the list until they get things under wraps, or wait and buy it second-hand after someone else has taken care of all the TSBs. Sometimes $15K isn't worth it.

Maybe by the time the '08s come out, they'll have fixed the problem, and maybe even have replaced the timing belt with a chain.

This is why I like to lurk the forums here. So much information! Thanks again!
    FWIW the '08 Elantra info has already been published, and the car has the same engine as the '07 Elantra--meaning it has a timing belt. If you're looking for a car with a timing chain, the Elantra isn't it.
  • slf75slf75 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2007 Elantra GLS with preferred package on 6/2/07. My speedometer is also off by 4-7 miles or so, depending on speed. I called the dealer earlier this week and they told me that state law (Oregon) allows for a 3-4% variance, but to bring it in anyway. So it's there today and I just got a call that they tested it against GPS and it showed a 4 mph variance at 60 mph, which is within the manufacturer's specs (4.9 mph variance, apparently). I'm curious how the manufacturer could have an acceptable variance that doesn't match up with this alleged state law. I haven't researched the law yet, but I will do that this weekend before I figure out how to proceed.

The dealer did, however, replace some rubber part in my glove box that Hyundai had recalled. Gee, thanks.
  • tritchtritch Member Posts: 4
    To everyone,

Hyundai has just released a new TSB that fixes the 2007 Elantra speedometer issue. The procedure re-programs the ECU to fix the error. It addresses only those vehicles with production dates between August 1, 2006 to May 28, 2007. The TSB can be found on www.hmaservice.com for those who have signed up for access. It's a 17 page pdf file which contains the step by step procedure for reprogramming the ECU.

TSB # 07-90-010 dated 9/6/07

Finally a fix!!
  • tritchtritch Member Posts: 4
    Some additional good news,

The last page of the TSB states:

NOTE: All Hyundai warranties of vehicles affected by this TSB will be automatically extended by 3% as shown below:

1. Basic: 5 years / 61,800 miles
    2. Powertrain: 10 years / 103,000 miles
    3. Towing: 5 years / 61,800 miles
    4. Paint: Depending upon the defect code, up to 3 years / 37,080 miles at maximum.
    5. Service Parts: 1 year / 12,360 miles (Applicable only to the service parts installed on
    the affected vehicle prior to launching the CSA).
    6. Accessory: 1 year / 12,360 miles (Applicable only to the accessory parts installed on
    the affected vehicle prior to launching the CSA).
    I am assuming all you people out there know when you talk by phone to a customer assistance manager after emailing or whatever that these people in Salt Lake are nothing more than phone answering people. They DO NOT work for the Hyundai Corporation. I found this out the first time I wrote my complaint about the speedometer. And just a couple weeks ago I wrote another email telling about what people on this site are doing to fix their problem by even buying new tires etc.... I got an answer to my email telling me that so many things affect the speedometer from wear like tires and just went on and on. I called her up and asked her if she knows anything about cars to which the answer was no. I also said, Do you understand we are talking about new cars that don't yet have all the problems you listed on the email and again the answer no. She had absolutely no knowledge of what has been done so far including the reprograming as my car had in about July/Aug timeframe. Just took another short trip and still clocks out at about 1 mph off and just a slight difference in the odometer. Maybe the new TSB will bring it closer yet. If not, they won't touch my car.
This discussion has been closed.