Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Idle and Stalling Problems

Comments

• phoenix9435phoenix9435 Member Posts: 2
    1997 dodge ram 5.2 auto trans.
    Stalling issue was letting off gas at stops and on the freeway letting off the gas pedal and slowing down with the brake.
    Replaced fuel pump complete assembly. No joy.
    Replaced battery, was going dead ( would not start soon after shut off 60 min. or less,hot weather,phoenix ) suspect heat caused increased resistance in battery and the battery was going south. After all cooled down the battery would fire it back up.
    Now, with the new battery, no problems yet, BUT, only limited drives (about 4)
    BUT, I found this and its looks promising.
    http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1qcde-1998-dodge-ram-stalls-unless
    Will try to report back, when more testing is complete.
  • tonyd0925tonyd0925 Member Posts: 5
    Ok so had truck put on computer and it came out with a few different things. I had a bad gas cap, which caused air getting into fuel pump and caused bucking and stalling. Also had 3 spark plug coils that were bad, so I replaced all 6. And also cam shaft sensor was bad, which supposedly causes stalling & jerking and backfiring. So far truck is NOT stalling or backfiring or jerking. Total cost $245. (coils were $31. ea, sensor 35, gas cap 16) Hope this help some of you with same problems......Good luck
  • billy50billy50 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 ramcharger 5.2 it has just started idleing rough and wants to stall when i stop, idle goes up and down like it has a miss. Runs fine driving down the road. Checked vac lines replaced almost all of them. Some times it will idle for ever and some times it doest. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY OTHER IDEAS.
  • pewamo758pewamo758 Member Posts: 1
    My 99 1500 ram w 5.2l/318 developed a low speed miss after I changed spark plugs last week. It starts missing after 3 to 5 min of driving. At 1700 rpm in cruse control it really shakes bad, but no miss under hard acceleration. after 20 to 30 miles, the check engine light comes on. Replaced the plucs again and the wires this time, but no results. Any ideas??
    check to see if there is a possible vacuum leak or even emission leak. My check engine light came on and computer came up as emission leak. Also check your gas cap, it's amazing how a bad cap can affect the truck. If rubber is cracked or worn on inside of cap it allows air and moisture in and screws up the running of the truck......Good luck
  • alpine_alalpine_al Member Posts: 4
    Your low sopeed miss problem could be caused by the routing of the spark plug wires. The 5.2L is very finicky when it comes to the wires. Try this link fro instructions: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl654h.htm. Or do a Google search for the diagram. Try searching for "Coil Wire Routing (Figure 1 and 2)".
  • cm4166cm4166 Member Posts: 6
    I have run the truck for some time and fell that the computer reprograming has repaired the stalling issue. I will no longer make updates. Thanks and good luck.
  • asdfdaveasdfdave Member Posts: 7
    I've had this 5.7L truck only a couple of weeks and noticed this a few times now. I'll approach a signal and after coming to a complete stop - the engine will drop RPM's after a slight pause (3 seconds after dead stop), the lights will dim, the engine will nearly stall and then the RPM's pop back up and the lights are on at full-bright? Any thoughts? Is this a transmission issue? Thanks.
    First off if this is an '09 I would be bringing it back to the dealership because there definitely should still be some kind of warranty on it. It does not sound like a transmission problem but could be a timing problem, spark plugs gap off, a break in a spark plug coil. I would first check about warranty before hand. Good luck
  • militaryqamilitaryqa Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 09 Ram with the 4.7 liter in March. Today when I started it up and pulled away from the house, the check engine light came on. I drove to the dealership but only made it halfway there before the check engine light flashed and the idle dropped to about 500 RPMs. The engine ran pretty rough so I pulled over and called up the Dodge roadside assistance to tow it the rest of the way. The dealer has it now and hopefully I hear something tomorrow. Warranty and a loaner Big Horn edition will keep me coming back to my dealership.
  • luvmytoyzluvmytoyz Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Ram 1500, 5.2, 5-speed, 150k, 4 by 4. The problem I have is intermitted and started at about 130k miles. It can be hot or cold, when your under accelleration it starts backfiring and missing (sometimes stalls), mainly when your starting to pull in 3rd gear.
    I'v changed just about everything trying to cure it after having it at the dealer and several shops. It's had everything, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, catalytic converter, and just recently a new fuel pump & filter changed. It's also been checked for vacuum leaks and fuel system ceaned.
    Anyone with any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, I'm down to my last check in my book.
    Baffled!
    Have you tried cam shaft sensor it's also known to cause these problems good luck.............
  • phoenix9435phoenix9435 Member Posts: 2
    Update, over 1000 miles on new battery, no stalling, problem fixed for me. Good luck to all, try out the battery if symptoms close to mine.
  • jbonholdjbonhold Member Posts: 1
    I need help, my 2004 ram 1500 hemi stalls after refueling, after a few miles it stops. no lights etc any suggestions 52,000 miles
  • slingshot202slingshot202 Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to get my fix very soon (it's been busy). Well, at least I hope they will fix it. My mechanic seems to think it is some sort of Vapor seal or lock. I have the same problem when refueling, as of now when I go I make sure the tank does not get filled all the way and I have been fine.

Mine is a 2004, 55,000 miles.

I will try and get it in and see if we can't get a resolution!! Partial fills on a tank that big are a pain in the butt.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Thanks for the update.
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    The pcm is very sensitive to low battery voltage. A battery that is over 3 years old should be your first check. With the engine running the battery terminals should be at 14 volts plus or minus 0.2v. Other symptoms of low battery voltage are rough idle, miss, hesitation, or surge. Check for a code relating to the auto shutdown relay circuit.Look for a bad connection on the asd relay as a bad relay or associated wiring can cause these problems because the battery charging circuit and O2 sensor heaters are controlled by the asd relay
  • jasonmortonjasonmorton Member Posts: 3
    03 QC 76k miles

I do mostly city driving, less than 5 miles one way to work. I'm lucky to put 75 miles a week on it.

I've noticed that if I don't hit the interstate or highway for a week or so, I'll start to get a rough idle when parked and when at stop lights.

I open it up a little on the highway, then it will go away only to return a week or so later. This has been going on for the last 2 months.

Oddly, if I'm going slow and turn the wheel all the way left or right, the engine will rough idle for a moment, then return to normal.

I'm getting a EVAP systems leak code. Autozone said that it's mostly caused from not tightening the gas cap correctly. I made sure it was tightened all the way and no skippin the threads. I need to disconnect the battery and see if the lights go away. Could the EVAP system have any effect on the idle problem?

I'm not that familiar with trucks. I just want to get as much information as possible before taking it in. The local Dodge dealer wants $100 to test and find a EVAP leak in the lines, if there is one.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Very low usage can require as much maintenance attention as very high usage because the engine never gets a chance to heat up and work.

If you haven't done so since you've owned it, you probably could use a good tune-up. When hard highway use seems to cure your problems, that likely means you're getting carbon building on the plugs, and that occasional hard run burns it away.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    Here is some general info on the evap system:
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/evap_system.htm
    Corkscrew
  • jasonmortonjasonmorton Member Posts: 3
    I was thinking a tune up might work.

Guess I'll get the EVAP smoke test done as well.

Thanks for the replies.
  • bollackbbollackb Member Posts: 1
    My truck stalled one night going down the highway as it would only go slower and slower til it died. Now it only starts when pumping the gas alot and dies immediately after firing. Anyone have any ideas? thanks for the help
  • birddog07birddog07 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same issue on my ram wondering if you found an answer to your problem?
  • birddog07birddog07 Member Posts: 2
    This started out a few ago only stalling out when making turns a few times, engine stalls no breaks no engine lights no steering. put in neutral or park restarts no problem. No computer codes were brought up runs great starts but just stalls seemed like a fluke bad gas just put high to mid grade no help

Now a few months later engine has stalled at speeds 20-75 mph this time not turning just driving like before no brakes, steering, the radio & dash lights work will work fine while this happens put have to put in neutral or park starts up normal runs normal no hesitation or sluggishness just will die on while driving Im in florida the weather is warm its happen on cools days and days you could boil an egg in!

It did it again today crazy thing I had 2 kids in truck doing 50 engine cut out had no control over truck since no breaks and no steering when this happens almost hit a sign and a car?

No luck with dealer here as showing no issues and of course doesnt do it when they drive it but this is a truck my wife drives and she is very scared to drive it now and dont blame he much after my experience any one whom could help with answer?
  • jjwalke1jjwalke1 Member Posts: 1
    i am having a problem with my 95 dodge ram stalling when i backup and start forward and let off the gas. It is also missing in overdrive at approx. 1200 rpms. I have replaced the fuel pump, indexed the timing, new plugs, wires, and distributer cap, new map sensor, new O2 sensor, new throttle body position sensor, and cleaned all fuel injectors. I thought the exhaust might be backing up and disconnected it and drove it around. I also have sprayed ether looking for a vacuum leak. I am at wits end as is my dad(mechanic) and 2 other shops. Its been hooked up to computers and wont even throw up a code. Any ideas out there as to what is wrong. Could it be a computer problem or maybe the transmission.
    Check battery voltage. With the engine running, you should get 14volts +/- 0.2V at the battery terminals.A battery that is 3 years old or older should be suspected as the PCM is very sensitive to low battery voltage even when the engine starts normally.
    Another possibility is the auto shutdown relay circuit. Although I would expect to see a fault code 42 in this case.
    Corkscrew
  • bigrun50bigrun50 Member Posts: 1
    It's most likely your IAC. I had the same problem on my 2003 Dodge RamVan 5.2L. I thought it might be the fuel pump, glad I researched a bit and saved myself around 250 dollars. You should be able to buy an IAC for around 43 dollars at most auto parts stores. The van kept stalling at red lights or when I took my foot off the gas pedal, it got progressively worse. Heres a link on the web that helped me out. http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1qcde-1998-dodge-ram-stalls-unless
  • charliebrown77charliebrown77 Member Posts: 1
    after refueling i can drive a little ways and the red electrical light flashes and the engine has very lil throttle response it acts like it has down shifted to just drive rpms about 2500 when it does this but i can pull over cut off the truck and it will crank rite back with no problem does anybody know what it can be and how much it will cost
  • dale68dale68 Member Posts: 2
    installed a rebuilt 5.2lt in my 99' dodge 1500, got everything back together, did a pre fire inspection, everything looked good, went to fire it, no fuel pump. started to try and find problem and realized we weren't getting spark either. went through all electrical connections, confirmed they where all good. even cleaned all connections with contact cleaner, unhooked and sprayed all computer connections with contact cleaner. cap and rotor where replaced during this process. switched asd relay with other simular relay in pcm, no luck!! i wonder if the cps is at fault? how do you reset the asd? anybody have any suggestions?
  • james1247james1247 Member Posts: 1
    replaced crank sensor for erratic rpms. replaced magnetic pickup due to stalling. will idle forfever in all gears. will back up fine. put it in drive and it stalls in 20-25 feet.wait a few minutes and it will start back up and stalls again.have new rotor ,cap,wires gapped the plugs ,tps(it broke off) and replaced both cam and crank sensors again and no change. i need help as i gotta have this truck running and soon.
  • will009will009 Member Posts: 1
    I was having trouble with this ,idle and stall when slow down , have a 2000 dodge 1500, 5.2 engine/ 318 v8 , ,
    // spent $50 , , replacing this and that , , a certified mech on this form, , said unplug idle position sensor , , I did , , wouldn't idle at all , without foot on gas pedel , , ,but it caused engine light to come on , , , I disconnected neg bat terminal to reset computer , , , it turned engine light off and cured my idle and stall problem , , that was 3 days ago , , still runs fine , , no problem , , just though , I'd pass the infro on, , ,
    plese note , , messing with vaccum is what caused the problem , in the beginning , , I believe , Dodge left a bug in the computer , and the engine light should have , already been on , , good luck
  • dale68dale68 Member Posts: 2
    i read in my haynes manual that if your fuel filter is plugged, or partially plugged, you'll get enough fuel for the truck to run, and it will have enough pressure so the computer doesn't realize there's a problem, but you won't have enough volume to run the vehichle at driving speed. maybe try a fuel line cleaner or try idling it up for a extended period of time and see if it stalls. if it does maybe your filter is partially plugged. just a thought, good luck.
  • brylc2020brylc2020 Member Posts: 1
    having problems with truck shutting down while driving. when this happens I have no power stering. any suggestions
  • krajicekdodgekrajicekdodge Member Posts: 2
    I have a Ram 1500 '09 5.7L that has stalled out while driving twice now and will not re start right after stalling, but after sitting for a while waiting for the tow truck, it will start. I have had it to a dealer when I was out of town and they could not find anything wrong because it started for them, but they did a software upgrade to a computer mod for better idle performance. Just stalled again last night, same issue. This time it I got it to re start once, then shut if off and it will not start again. Waiting for the dealer to call me this morning - 11/14/09. Anyone else had this trouble?
  • matlock84matlock84 Member Posts: 1
    when first started it runs fine then when it warms up it does not want to take off you have to give it a lot of gas to get it to take off any help please
  • tistaltistal Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. THe first time at 1200 miles, they said the fuses weren't seated correctly. The second time at 2700 miles, they said the PCM software needed to be updated. The service manager actually called me and said the truck starts and said there wasnt a problem before he updated the software. The third time it happened at 2750 miles (the very next time I drove the truck). They replaced the whole computer (PCM) module. I filed lemon law while it was in the dealership because it was a serious safety hazard. It turned off while driving down the street everytime. Noone at dodge would give me actual reasons or even tell me "Im sorry". I'm in mediation right now with chrysler.
  • krajicekdodgekrajicekdodge Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Same thing happened to me with the dealer. Was out of town when it first happened. No problem found, updated the PCM. Was going ok, then it happened again while I was back at home. At the local dealer, they found no problems or codes, but the did drive it and it happened to them, also no codes found. Then they started checking the fuel pump pressure and the electrical. Final result, they said at the fuel pump it had a loose connection that would disconnect with vibrations and that's why it wouldn't start. They dropped the fuel tank and replaced the pump and made sure all connections were solid. It drove from the dealer home with no problem, but have not had it out since.
    I'm not sure if this is related, but there is a recall on 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Commander for the same problem. I wonder if the part found its way into the Ram: www.nhtsa.gov/recalls/nhtsa campaign id number 08V059000.
    Corkscrew
  • robertcopelandrobertcopeland Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 2wd 4.7l..when I'm driving down the road the truck shut off..as if i trun the key off..it doesnt sputer just turn off...first second time it did this it started right back up put feul conditioner slick 50 and it was fine did it one more time..the truck runs great then it didn't when i had my family with me on top off a bridge..once again started right up..next morning get 1/2 mile up the road and it stop again would not crank up would ieven dry start like it trying to crank and my dash board went kind of crazy iwas close to empty got it to start made it to te gas sation cuts off again ...put super unleaded in it runs o.k to make it to work soons as i put it in park shuts off..leaving work wouldn't stay started race the engine cut off like the idle is off finally if stabile the idle and make it home get into the drive way it stop again
  • ttrussellttrussell Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Ram 1500, 4x4, 5.9L. Recently, it has been wanting to die just after the engine warms a little. One day, it just wouldn't start - cranked fine but no start. It started later that evening. Ran fine for another week but would idle off when just barely warm. Now it won't start at all, just cranks over. Getting spark, fuel pump does not come on. Checked fuses and relays in PDC and side of dash, replaced ASD relay (ohms were about 72), all fuses are good except the O2 sensor: I get no read on it. Replaced it with a known good one and still no read. I am thinking to replace the fuel pump but I am also questioning the PCM. Any thoughts before I haul it to a shop or pull the truck bed off myself?
  • jeep_fan1jeep_fan1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 99 Durango with a 318. It had a misfire code on cylinders 3 &4 i replaced plugs wire and cap button and code was cleared. now on straightways between 15 and 1700 RPM it backfires/spits and sputters no check engine light and will stop when you let off the gas. IT doesnt always do it either. Has new battery and voltage on alternator test fine. Does anyone have any ideas???
  • alexlloydalexlloyd Member Posts: 8
    Change where you buy gas... sounds like water to me.
  • jeep_fan1jeep_fan1 Member Posts: 2
    I tried that. I even changed grades, put fuel injector cleaner and dry gas in and still nothing. It only back fires when it is sputtering and i let off the gas.
  • tank07tank07 Member Posts: 1
    ever since ive had my truck the idle is low when i come to a stop and keep it in gear with the a/c or heater off. the rpm's will drop down to @450 but while still stopped if i tap the gas pedal the rpm's will return to normal operating range of 600. the dealer has repeatedly told me " its the nature of the beast". could this be what is causing my truck to die occasionally. took the truck to dealer and they cant replicate the problem. but they also couldnt replicate the problem when the truck with 200 miles on it would billow white smoke like i had a blown head gasket. after 4 trips to dealer they fixed that problem. any insight would be great.
  • darren412darren412 Member Posts: 2
    My engine stalls after briefly running when I start the engine in the morning. It takes a while but the stalling starts to go away but not all the way when it warms up a little . I put new plugs ignition coil wires cap and rotor and also put in new tps sensor(throttle position sensor) The problems are still occuring Does anyone have an Idea what the problem might be.
  • uk_ram_1500uk_ram_1500 Member Posts: 1
    Hi mate

I have the same problem stalling at speeds of 30+ mph, pretty frightening with no power steering and no servo assistance for the brakes, happens every day now during my 40 mile round trip to work. getting really annoying.

Did you resolve the issue ?

Chee(RS)

Patrick
  • jbest2jbest2 Member Posts: 1
    For about a month my truck has been having trouble when idling or slowing down or at a stoplight. Seems to run fine as long as I'm steady on the gas. I thought I had maybe put some bad gas in it but after a few trips to my mechanic and the dealer reprogrammed the computer I still have the same problem and I would like some other ideas before I start dumping too much money in it. Please Help!
  • 37mm37mm Member Posts: 1
    2002 Ram 1500 QuadCab 5.9L V8, 112k miles

I noticed this AM while sitting at a light that my truck will slightly rev itself. The Tach doesn't change, but the speedometer will jump to 30mph while sitting still. I can hear a faint click/tapping noise, but can't locate it. Got the work parking lot, sat there in gear with my foot on the brake and watched - engine would rev & speedo would jump to 30, 50, and a few times it just went completely haywire and sailed over to 120.

Put it in park, no idle problems whatsoever - idles quiet and smooth, no rev jumps. Put back into gear, and revved in reverse, neutral, and drive. Then the alarm dinged at me and the emergency brake & ABS brake lights came on on the dash and stayed on.

Mechanic boggled at me over the phone and said he wasn't sure, hasn't seen anything like it - possibly a loose connection, and obviously something is interfering with the computer.

Anyone had this issue before?
  • scmedingerscmedinger Member Posts: 1
    Check your battery voltage, low voltage will not allow the Idle air solenoid to operate correctly. If voltage is ok change the idle air solenoid, I have a 1997 ram van with a 318 and when the engine dies at a stoplight one of the reasons I have described solves the problem. I have changed 3 solenoids over the years and bad battery once. I am having the same problem right now, I have changed the solenoid twice in the last couple of months. A new solenoid solves the problem for about a month and then it comes back. Trying to figure out if they are bad parts or if there is another problem. If anyone else has an idea please reply.
  • jessebrownjessebrown Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2010
    I changed the Throttle body and that cured all problems with stalling and engine shutting down. Throttle body cost $242.00 Jesse