Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Idle and Stalling Problems

Comments

• ken3rdken3rd Member Posts: 1
    Hi tank07 I have an 07 ram 1500 mega cab also and i have the exact same idle problem , my dealer can not figure it out , Im a heavy truck mechanic and I have tryed everything myself to fix it however this truck does not have an egr valve if it did that would probably be the problem but sence it does not no one can figure it out , did you get yours fixed yet if so what had to be done to fix it , this is driving me nuts .
  • kens999kens999 Member Posts: 7
    Thought I would report back. After replacing the IAC only to have my stalling problem creep back up in a week or two, this is what I did. Pulled the throttle body completely off the intake manifold. Removed all sensors off throttle body. Thoroughly cleaned the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner. Cleaned all sensors and connector contact pins with a dielectric cleaner. Used a new gasket when reinstalling throttle body.

Its been six weeks and the most noticeable difference for me is when I now take my foot of the accelerator, the tac needle slowly sinks rather than bounces around irratically and my truck no longer stalls (fingers crossed).

Good Luck.
  • 1971rsatterfie1971rsatterfie Member Posts: 2
    YOU GOT IT, IT WONT START, TOOK IT TO THE MECHANIC, TOLD ME GOT FUEL PRESSURE AN THE PUMP IS WORKING CORRECTLY, NO JUICE TO THE ENGINE..... GO FIGURE,,, REPLACE WHAT THEY CALL THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE OR INTERGRATED CONTROL MODULE. IT IS ON BACK ORDER AT THE DEALERSHIPS BUT ONLINE I FOUND A PLACE IT COST $450.00. GUESS WHAT. IT STILL DOESNT START...GETTING COSTLY FOR THIS VET AN CANT AFFORD A HIGH BILL....ANY IDEAS.......
  • judgejustinjudgejustin Member Posts: 14
    Ok, I haven't read all posts but it looks like I may be able to get some ideas or help from here. I have an 07 1500 Megacab with the 5.7 Hemi 4x4. It stalls when I make sudden stops, if shifting into reverse from drive with out giving gas and sometimes just for no reason while idling. I have replaces all spark plugs, thoroughly cleaned throttle body, checked and cleaned O2 sensors, checked cooling sensor. Does anybody have any ideas. Also I have posted in the Real World MPG before with no real success. I am getting terrible fuel mileage. Right now it is right at 8 mpg in town and 9.5 on the highway. I went 350 miles on the open highway last week and pulled a 16 ft aluminum utility trailer never exceeded 75mph and averaged 7.6 mpg. I drive farely conservatively. Could either of these problems be linked or does anyone have any suggestions as to something to do about the millage, also? Thanks
  • splunkwvsplunkwv Member Posts: 1
    Have a 02 5.9 1500 3 out of 5 times after starting minutes later it idles rough and sometimes stalls. If you floor it she gets up and goes during the problem or if you pump the peddle it goes. After a few minutes of running like that its fine no problems. Does anyone know the solution for this problem. Thanks splunkwv
  • revkeith69revkeith69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi. When I fill up with gas the engine cuts off within 10 miles of driving. It is acting like it is starving for fuel. I went to the dealership and they had no answer. I tried a new gas cap but that didn't work. Could it be the throttle position sensor?
  • jessebrownjessebrown Member Posts: 8
    I had same problem, changed complete throttle body cause my censor was built in, it keep dieing when letting off the gas . Bill
  • kgrogankgrogan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 5.9 having the same problem did you find the problem if so i would greatly appreciate some feedback
  • whyme12whyme12 Member Posts: 7
    well I finally got my problem with my truck fixed!!! after about 2yrs of fighting a dead end, I put new O2 sensors on! but they were OEM not aftermarket brand!!!! all the idleing problems, and stalling, and the headaches, three little words of OEM fixes all this? just one more way for dealerships to make a buck and tell you its something else, when in fact its more than likely a o2 sensor. So maybe try replacing the o2's with the factory ones, and see how that goes.
  • hayden489hayden489 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ram 3500 with cummins that is also doing the same thing. The dealership is baffled as the computer is throwing no codes. When moving down the highway at regular speeds, it will shut off but comes right back. When sitting still it just flat out dies. The truck will start right back up and runs great, but repeats time and time again.

The dealership has no clue as to what to do, and has been blindly replacing parts. I am gettin tired of this, and it is getting expensive. Anyone had this problem or have any idea what it could be?
  • rick3177rick3177 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Have any of you guys tried to replace your EGR value? I have a 2005 with the hemi and i had the same problem. My wifes uncle is a real machanic and said to try and replace the EGR value and the problem went away.
  • vdawg2vdawg2 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 dodge ram keeps stalling when it is at idle. It only stalls when i go of the throttle to brake and not every thime @%#^# WTF. Any info about this would be great.
  • ply32ply32 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 dodge ram 2500 that recently begin stalling but it will restart. I took it to mechanic and according to the readings on the computer the problem lies between ecm and crank sensor, but was advised to try sensor. The crank sensor was put on however it started stalling again. Anyone have any ideas of what can be the problem.
  • trevor68trevor68 Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem with my 04 dodge ram 1500. i changed the EGR valve and that helped with the stalling. The part was $75 and real easy to change. i hope this helps.
  • wolfman50020wolfman50020 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Ram 1500 5.9 and it will stall when I go to slow down and stop,It does it rarely in the day time,but here lately at night when I would leave work and get going down the road as soon as i slow down at a red light it will shut off or start to die and I have no clue what the problem is,any ideas?
  • kens999kens999 Member Posts: 7
    Start with the simple stuff. With my 98 Ram the stalling turned out to be a matter of removing the throttle body and giving it a thorough cleaning. There are some sensors on the throttle body as well. If cleaning doesnt solve your issue, you can try replacing the Idle Air Control on the throttle body (if your model year has one), which is less than 30 bucks. After doing those 2 things the stalling stopped for me.

Read thru this forum and the other Dodge and Ram online forums to get more helpful info. on this specific issue.

Thanks,
    Ken
  • robertg3robertg3 Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE 2008 DODGE RAM, 3500 6.7 THAT BURNING TOO MUCH FUEL, ONLY GETTING 5-6 MILES A GALLON OVER THE ROAD. ALSO I CAN BE RIDING DOWN THE ROAD AND IT SHUTS OFF, I KNOCK OUT OF GEAR AND IT CRANKS BACK UP IMMEDIATELY, GETTING ANNOYING, AND BLOWING BLACK SMOKE OUT OF THE EXHUAST. DEALER HADN'T FOUND THE PROBLEM.
  • csturgilcsturgil Member Posts: 1
    I changed the transmission in my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. The truck starts fine, but will only run at 2000's RPM and only then if I hold the gas pedal down. If it drops below 2000 RPM, it shuts off and won't start back for 30 minutes or more. I've replace the fuel pump and the front oxygen sensor. Any clues...
  • 01ram250001ram2500 Member Posts: 1
    Idk if the cummins has this but my 360 had it go out. Try the (iac valve or idle air control valve. It should be on ur throtthe body
  • gatorpspgatorpsp Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 Ram 1500 with the Hemi too and the rpm's jump up and down then stalls. this problem has been going on since the truck had 4300 miles on it. the dealership couldnt find any problems with the codes on the computer. it usually happens when pulling into a parking space, the truck idles rough then stalls. is this the same problem you had and did replacing the EGR valve work? the guy who had the truck before me turned it back into the dealer for the same problem and was considered a "buy back" because they couldnt located the problem.
  • jessebrownjessebrown Member Posts: 8
    I replaced the throttle body also, running great for 2 years now. Stall quite often before I replaced it.
  • whyme12whyme12 Member Posts: 7
    Alot of the dodge rams dont have an EGR Valve!!
  • crash_akcrash_ak Member Posts: 8
    hold the gas pedel to the floor and crank it it should fire. have the same probem with my truck intermitant no start but if i do that it will fire and not do it again for a month or so. havent figured out the fix yet thinking failing tps but not sure
    Found out it was the main injection pump-

Thanks
  • tslice18tslice18 Member Posts: 2
    So I notice alot of people on this post are having problems with stalling and staggering or idle problems. Well recently my Dodge ram 3500 began to stagger while driving at about 40-50mph, but when going faster it stops. Then it started cutting out every 10 minutes while driving till it just wouldn't start. Code showed P0148. I Changed my lift pump (fuel transfer pump) and the truck began to drive again. Its been about a week and now the staggering is back and a little worse and i'm showing codes P0148 and now a new one P0628. Any ideas on what to do or how to fix this? the staggering seems to be getting worse.
    I had to put new injection pump. As for the codes we also had PO628 and was told the problem existed between the EGR and module-We reset the code and then put on new injection pump and its works fine now-Be careful where you buy injector pump because all are not the same.
  • bgm29bgm29 Member Posts: 1
    i work for a full service garage and am the fleet mechanic. We have a dozen or so of 2007-2008 dodge ram 1500 with the 4.7L and 5.7L One of the trucks came in this week with a stalling and bucking problem. It threw the codes P0655, P0688, P2112. These are ASD control circuit codes and accelerator position sensor 1 codes. This is a huge issue for these damn trucks and there is not definitive answer from the dealer or Chrysler. I took the Totally integrated power module which is the under hood fuse box which all the relays and what not are built in via a large circuit board. this is where the connections are for this issue of the ASD control circuits and modules are along with the PCM,.... But there a 4 or 5 tourqe screws you can remove and then separate the casing and you can view the pins and circuitry is. I found a hand full of very corroded pins and connectors and evidence of a moisture issue which is not surprising due to its location on the truck. It is prone to collection all of the rain and salt and crap from the roads and it is a very poor design, but this was 2/3rds of the issue and i also looked over the pcm connections and found two wires that were chaffed and bare in a spot that were touching causing spikes setting these codes which is in turn stalling and shuddering the engine. the wires are so small and are easy to transfer current if the conditions are right which will spike voltage and set codes INTERMITANTLY !!!!!!!!!! which is the worst of all to diagnose. hope this helps out. let me know if you have anything to add.
  • texdodge72texdodge72 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 ram with the 4.7 and was having the same issues with rough idle and stalling at times. I replaced the tp sensor and map sensor and cleaned the iac valve and truck runs perfect now. I hope this helps someone with similar issues.
    I appreciate the info but I have a '08 6.7 3500 Dodge Ram. What it is doing sometimes go dead immediately or when I hit a rough spot or bump. I have to try to crank it twice before it start. Then as I start driving about 1/3 of a mile go dead again, I knockout of gear, crank back up immediately. Sometimes I have to repeat it several time it going dead, crank up, go dead before it actually stay crank. Also it will go a week or so without cutting off and run as though nothing is wrong with it. Code did not call for a crank sensor but I changed it anyway. If you can call me I would appreciate it at 601-497-2343 or 800-896-9909 ASAP.
  • dyal2005dyal2005 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 dodge ram 4.7L 1500 SLT quad cab with approx 180,000 miles on it. We have had our truck looked at by a trusted mechanic that has always done us right in the past and he is unable to find the issue that I am hoping someone else might have come across and can help me out with. He has already cleaned the TP sensor, throttle body taken apart cleaned, he has probed the TP Sensor and even ran a test to check the feedback from the computer ( Im pretty sure thats what he told me today) My engine is increasing in the amount of RPMs put out (which causes the truck to somewhat buck or jerk when in motion) It happens when at at idle as well. Its been a while since it has stalled out, but that has happened on occasion. It tends to rev more severely when its damp or cold out. Its almost like someone steps on the gas and then lets up is the best way to describe the action it does and the sound of the motor. As of just tonight it was 66 out; we were driving down the road and it started to just increase in rpms by like 400-500. We have gotten to where we dont pay it much attn since we were told that we would have to deal with it til it gets worse since no codes are being found as to why its doing it. Though after a few mins more it started to really jump in RPMs like 1000 or 1500. We were running 60-65 and the truck stayed at like 2000 RPMs and the highest it would hit was 4000( only like 2 times). At times we we have been able to turn it off and reset it so to speak but this time restarting the engine didnt help at all. Any one have any ideas as to what it might be cause the issue since its not picking up or giving off codes so it is leaving everyone a lil clueless and frustrated on our end
  • rdnkfrftr99rdnkfrftr99 Member Posts: 1
    my 95 ram 5.7 has 357,000 miles on it. it has a problem stalling occasionally when the motor is hot, not all the time. it will turn over but not fire. once it cools down all the way it will start like it was new.
    it will run on either, so it has spark. i have replaced the fuel pump as well. it just won't put fuel in the cylinders.
    any help?
    thanks!
    yes, it is the original engine and trans. with 357,000 miles! the only work on the motor is 2 water pumps.
  • jchartersjcharters Member Posts: 1
    Yea ive got a 04 4x4 hemi and this as only happen to me twice but the first i just got fuel and went 3 three miles and went to put it in park and the rpms just dropped to about 200 to 300 so i put my foot in and held it wide open and it came out of it. The next time i did not get fuel just went to start it and it would not start. I tried twice with just the key and nothing so i held the pedal down and cranked it over and it started then smelled flooded. that was about 2 months apart maybe at the most but it has not done it since. All else its a good truck beside the rust in the wheel wells and the blue smoke on start up sometimes but it does not appear to burn oil. Any ideas on were to start or look for the idle issue.
  • gpais1gpais1 Member Posts: 1
    i see your post was in feb ,but hoping you still use sight have 98 with the very same problem checked pump is good 45 lbs pressure good spark clled tow truck when i got home took off rollback it started wonder did you ever guess what it was thank you for your time
  • ghuffordghufford Member Posts: 1
    my truck did same thing in hot weather had to wait for computer module to cool down, at first i replaced voltage reg, dist. cap, rotor, crank sensor, alternator, etc etc, finaly i bought a rebuilt computer module from orilleys for 300 dollars which included the core of the old one, they programmed it and all for my truck for that price and no problems since
  • bcliffordbclifford Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same vehicle with only 80,000 miles on it and it is doing the same thing. So far Chrysler has done all of the above to the tune of $800 dollars CND and they still have not fix the problem. It is going back in today (July 4, 2012). There is also and update for your engine computer that they put in and for the extra $150 dollars, this did not help either. did you eventually find what the problem?
    I changed the whole fuse box mount on the left hand size under the hood and was told to not have more than one or two keys on key chain because I had a bunch of keys on my key chain. It work and hadn't had the problem since.
  • rawramrawram Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 dodge ram my truck sits for months at a time because of my job. Recently we got alot of rain so I decided to drive it.About an hr in the no bus light come on and my gauges die. I parked it and drove it later the light shut off. Now its idling funny like its going to die. My odometer moves while in park. Also if i turn my key back towards me just a little it idles correct but my ac and radio won't work. and suggestions?
  • hiflier68hiflier68 Member Posts: 1
    Was the problem ever solved.. I am having the same issues with my 98 1500 Ram
  • bcliffordbclifford Member Posts: 2
    After and extensive search on the internet, I determined it was a "Throttle Position Sensor" or TPS. It cost $29 dollars and I installed it myself. Bingo!!!!! Problem solved. Go to utube and watch the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gJUR62u4Tg&feature=related :)
  • jeff808jeff808 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    I bought a 06 Ram quad cab Hemi 4x4 (38,000 miles) with the same problems. It would stall when coming to a stop, stopping on an uphill grade, and it would do mini neutral drops while accelerating from a stop during right turns. It also had a delayed engagement when placing my trans into drive. I had my tranny serviced at my normal shop (flush and filter change, 450 bucks). No improvement. I then changed my plugs and EGR valve, still no improvement. I took it to a transmission specialty shop and they told me that it was low almost 4 quarts. They informed me that the fluid needs to be checked in neutral, not in park like how I checked it. I know this sounds too simple but all my engine and transmission problems were solved, just like that. If you haven't already fixed your problems, I hope this helps. By the way, my mileage still sucks (about 10-11 mpg w/35"s), but I'm happy now.
  • jocko140jocko140 Member Posts: 9
    my check engine light came on and when i read the codes i had 562 and 700. I have so far replaced the battery and then i noticed the alternator wasn't showing it was charging when ever i loaded down the battery replaced the alternator and same results with the radio on and air conditioning on at low idle the gauge would be well left of center. and now just recently when ever i drive it and go from drive to park with the gear shifter it dies. Does anyone think maybe the PCM is going bad? At times the idle is erratic
  • rawramrawram Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar problem with mine it turned out to be my crank sensor or throttle position sensor. I also changed out my speed sensor. The speed sensor was causing it truck to idle erratically, and the cranksensor and tps was causing my truck to die sporadically. An easy check is to pull the 30am ignition run fuse if your truck idles normally with it out the sensors are going bad.
    edited September 2012
    but why would taken the shifter from drive to park kill the engine like turning off the key and wouldn't that pop it own code if either one of those was bad. and it seems to get worst when the engine was loaded down. Sorry my first guess was a Power control module just don't want to jump at that for the time being
  • dravens442dravens442 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 doge hemi magnum 5.7 that wont start unless i tap on the gas tank....runs fine for about 20 miles to work, then when I shut it off it wont start on occasion....Its hit or miss on the start....But while Im driving, Im NOT bogging down at all....Any suggestions besides fuel rail pressure?....Maybe a wire or fuse?...No codes coming up....
    edited September 2012
    no change after pulling the fuse out. In fact after i replaced both the battery and alternator it hasn't popped a code but stills die with the shift selector even from drive to neutral it even seems after i start it the alternator gauge goes to just the mid point but very slowly.
  • shannonreneeshannonrenee Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Dodge Ram is stalling out whenever it feels like????.... Anywhere from 2 to 10 times a day!!!!! What happens is the "check gages" light pops on, and than the oil pressure goes to zero. At first it would turn right back on, but now its getting to the point where I have to wait and try at least 10 times to restart it. I've had it connected at Auto Zone and no codes read even when it was in the process of preparing to stall out, because the light popped on... I'm in a loss for words and really need the help. please!!!!
  • jonas24jonas24 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    My '03 Dodge Ram would stall when slowing or idling. Replaced the IAC (Idle Air Controller), but it didn't help. When it wouldn't stall, my mechanic wiggled wires and when he wiggled the wire to the map sensor, the truck would stall. Discovered the map sensor had some corrosion. Got a new one from AutoZone for $25. The pictures shown in the following link will show you where the map sensor is.

engine pics
  • dalep2dalep2 Member Posts: 2
    mine is an 03 4.7 and i am having the same surging issue when idling. even dims the lights in the cab. having a problem driving because seems like transmission is being affected by surging? at highway speeds doesnt seem to wanna shift so rpm's going from 2000 to upwards of 3500, have to let off and get it to shift? is this caused by the TPS sensor? is trans goingh bad? have 268,xxx so trying to keep it together
  • infradeadinfradead Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 ram 1500 mega cab 5.7l hemi 2wd and it stalls once and a while when shifting from reverse to drive. My problem is I've read all the fourms and the best answer for this solution was low tranny fluid and mine seems to be clean and full. Please help!!!!!!!! Another issue...i think it's related is a low idle when stopped.
  • downer1downer1 Member Posts: 1
    the stalling is a common problem,check NHTSA web site,service bulletins,and file
    a complaint.Dodge knows about the problem and wont recall it,its a power train issue.