Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Idle and Stalling Problems

Comments

• okeefillyokeefilly Member Posts: 1
    It is your PCM. Your computer. For that year it was made poorly and has to replaced often due to cheap prongs getting mashed and getting no connection. It cost 450. to 500. just for the part. It is located on the right back under the hood of your truck just wiggle it and listen for the pump to turn on and start it again. You can get for free a computer hooked up to it for analysis and it will tell you that it is the computer. If not then it is a throttle body problem. They had a recall on this you need to look it up. It will explain it. :lemon:
  • dodgereddodgered Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 dodge ram with 318 standard transmission i experience problems with it on long trips, After an initial period of 2 to 3 hours the engine will backfire and then begin to stall out sometimes after a minute or two i can start the vehicle and start driving again for another 2 hours then it happens again. the truck has had a complete tune up and the shutdown relay was replaced. Ive also had the plenium plate gasket replaced it does not do this on short in town daily trips to work and back just on long trips. any ideas let me know.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Have you checked your exhaust system (muffler, cat con, pipes) for plugging or damage? Since it takes a long time for the backfiring to occur, it may come as a result of heat buildup over time in the cat. My dad had those same symptoms in a 76 Mercury Grand Marquis with a 460 V8 - when it quit on him the first time, he popped the hood and said the exhaust headers were literally glowing red.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • wrangler37wrangler37 Member Posts: 1
    my truck does the same things and i have no clue what it is did you find out? also my truck is way under powered when i floor it any ideas?
  • post499post499 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 4.7L and about 8 months ago I began having problems with my idle. The RPMs would drop to 200/300 and would just about stall out and then it would jump up to 800/1000 and my truck would lunge forward and then it would go back to running normal around 600/700. This would all happen as I sat at a light or stop sign with my foot on the brake. At times the idle will even just jump up and down between high and low rpms and occasionally will actually stall. I brought it in for a tune up and have since had the idler control engine changed, the cam sensor changed, air filter changed, catalytic converter changed, and have brought it in 6 times to after market and dodge garage shops and they tell me nothing is wrong. It seems everytime I get it back from anyone working on it, it works find for a few weeks then goes back to what it was doing before. I'm completely out of ideas on what this can be. Especially since the garages can't even find the issue. Anyone have any ideas... I'm frustrated and tired of taking days off of work, losing my truck for the weekend and dropping lots of money on an issue that seems to never get fixed!! HELP!
  • sven22sven22 Member Posts: 1
    My Dad has been having the same problem with his 2003 4.7L Dodge Ram 1500 for about 6 months to a year. It is slowly getting worse. I've checked the OBD-II codes and it has none. I suspect an air-intake leak, but haven't found many complaints of such on the web for that engine... Let me know if you figure it out. I will do the same.
  • eloflandelofland Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2004 DODGE RAM 3/4 TON, THE TRUCK WILL RUN FINE AND THEN IT WILL DIE SOME TIMES I DRIVE TO WORK THREE OR FOUR TIMES AND THEN IT DIES I HAVE TO WAIT A FEW MIN AND THEN IT WILL START AGAIN, IT HAPPENS WHEN I AM GOING ABOUT 20 MPH OR SETING IDOL. I THINK IT WOULD BE THE LIFTPUMP IT IS IN THE TANK AND I CAN HEAR IT HUMMING. NOT SURE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. ALSO IN THE WINTER TIME WHEN I START THE TRUCK TO LET IT WARM UP IT WILL IDOL UP REALLY HIGH AND I HAVE TO GO OUT AND TAP THE GAS AND IT WILL IDOL DOWN. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. ALSO IT THROWS A CODE OF P0191 ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA WHAT THAT IS.
  • dodgeiscrapdodgeiscrap Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately you are not alone. I own a 2005 4.7L ram 1500 and have the same idle issue. It occured at 48,000 miles about 6 months ago. I was pulling an empty trailer and came to a light and out of no where the truck dropped idle and stalled out. The check engine light came on and then turned off as the truck wobbled between under 500rpm to around 1000rpm. I was able to drive the truck home and to the dealership. After dropping off the vehicle at ARRIGO dodge in west palm beach fl. they did something to the computer and it hasnt happened since....until today when I replaced the battery. It must have reset the computer and now it is running rough and shakey and even stalled out in reverse at idle speeds. Looks like its going back to the dealer. I do know that this problem is common amoung the 4.7L and from the repair rep. He said at the first repair that it is a computer issue. They plugged codes in it and it worked for 10,000 miles. Idled rough at times but never stalled. Thats all I know about the idle issue.
  • tazzartazzar Member Posts: 2
    The idle problems are usually cause by a bad TPS (throttle position sensor). This is very common in the 2003 era Dodge Ram with 4.7 and others as well. They are inexpensive and very easy to replace, it takes about 30 minutes for anyone with minimal abilities. Other problems can be Cam or Crank position sensor but these usually tend to cause hard starts and LONG cranking times as well as a OBC II code. There can be several things to cause rough idle from fuel problems to ignition but in my experience 90+% are from TPS especially in the Dodge trucks around 2003 era. This issue does not always cause a OBC II code (in fact rarely does) and is very often intermittent causing it to be hard to diagnose but any mechanic should know what to look for and can fix it in minutes.... Unless he likes to see you return often to fund his kids in college...
  • kimmer18kimmer18 Member Posts: 1
    We hit a deer head on with our truck. Since it was repaired, it stalls when you come to a firm stop, such as at an intersection. It will start immediately. If you cozy it up to a stop like when parking it in the garage, it doesn't stall. We've taken it to 3 dealers, who all say there are no codes, so they don't know where to look. One dealer actually test drove it with a laptop connected, got it to stall, and told us the computer showed nothing out of the normal parameters. Now its out of warranty. Any ideas?
  • camarocrazy07camarocrazy07 Member Posts: 2
    i have the exact same truck and problem, could u tell me how u fixd ur misfire problem?
  • Krken80Krken80 Member Posts: 1
    Was getting ready to put the truck on the road for the winter. When I started it Check engine light came on. Went to gas station to fill-up/ gas gauge keep going from full to empty. Just ignored as it semmed to be fine after a minute or so. Truck became sluggish. Humming noise started and became louder as I accelerated. Also heard slight rattle which seemed to be coming from under the hood. Truck would not go over 20mph without wanting to die. As I drove a mile farther kept going slower and slower always wanting to stall. Needless to say it sitting at the mall right now couldn't get it home.

Any suggestions on what it might be??

Thanks,
    Ken
  • camarocrazy07camarocrazy07 Member Posts: 2
    sounds like ur fuel pump is about to go bad or the fuel pressure regulator(on top of fuel pump assembly) is stopped up. best way to test this is to do a fuel pressure test. i have a problem with my dodge..., when i go to accelerate mine gets slugish and acts like it runs outa gas but after awhile straightens itself out and at idle wants to shut off. if uve heard anything that would help me let me know.
  • polo99polo99 Member Posts: 3
    my 02 was having the same problem check the oxygen sensor fuse under the hood, the fuse may not be blown, pull the fuse and use a test light to make sure you are getting power to the fuse
  • 4wheel54wheel5 Member Posts: 1
    About 6 months ago I was driving along and my Dodge Ram 5.7 started to sputter as if it were running out of gas. It did this for a block or so then stalled. At a quarter tank of gas, this couldn't be the issue. I tried to start it and it only turned over. After it sat for about ten minutes it fired right up and ran fine and I dismissed it as a one time quirk......until last night! On the freeway it sputtered for a second and then stalled. No luck this time when waiting ten minutes. It just turns over and once in a while it shows signs of life like it wants to start, but wont on 3/4 tank of gas. All these posts show so many possibilities to the problem. Where should I start?
  • jgp59jgp59 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Dodge Ram with a 5.9L 24 valve Cummins. This truck starts fine but since a -15 degree night will shut off at various times from ideling to running down the interstate at 80 mph. I've changed filter, lift pump, added power service 911, and plenty of antigel additive. I've removed the edge power chip and the problem remains to occur. All electrical continues to work its like the fuel just shuts off. So far it always restarts easily. Had it to shop for diagnostics to be ran they did them with the power chip on and were unable to make exact diagnosis, but said the injector pump had a timing issue. Any suggestions prior to me spending money for injector pump?
  • dodds1dodds1 Member Posts: 2
    My truck had a slight surge at freeway speeds and now will die after driving approx. 20 miles. It will start after about three tries and run normal for about 20 miles. The first two times after trying to restart it it will start, then die like it is running out of fuel. Like I said the third time it will start and run fine for 20 miles. Please Help.
  • jgp59jgp59 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like mine in #69. Cummins ran diag codes and found injector pump bad.
  • ctdartsctdarts Member Posts: 2
    my 01 1500 sometimes cuts out while driving. Its like it shuts off then goes again, the dash lights come on the radio resets. Also last weekend I was driving and the battery gauge whent all the way up. Plus the alarm some times goes off when I shut the truck off Does anyone have any sugestions I'm lost on this one Battery? Alternator I Don't know HELP
  • dodds1dodds1 Member Posts: 2
    Problem sounds similar but mine has issues restarting after it dies on the third attempt it will usually run ok for about 20 miles. I have not had a problem while idling. No engine codes are present. It only has a problem starting after it has stalled. I live in Phoenix, Az which in the morning is usually around 40 to 45 degrees right now which may make a difference if you are in -15.
  • kfriedelkfriedel Member Posts: 1
    also the speedomitter quit and engine brake lightsare on
  • phatjackphatjack Member Posts: 3
    if sitting at a stop the idle speed is high ~1200-1300rpm surging. going down the road @ 60mph the rpm surges back and forth from 1500 to 2000rpm for no reason. going down hill or small decline at 45~55mph the rpm tach up to 2200 and the rear end feels like it downshifts. PLEASE HELP!!!!
    Mine(03 4.7) did the same. Replaced the camshaft position and the crankshaft position sensors at the same time. Worked for 2 1/2 years. Now I think my throttle position sensor just went south
    Replaced the TPS and everything seems back to normal.
    Oh! Radiator blew up on me just as I parked at work. Not mad though-175K+ miles plus its made of plastic so you get what you get.
    Still luv my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cosnal1970cosnal1970 Member Posts: 2
    have a 1994 1500 5.9l engine. 3 times now on roads trip travelling at speeds about 73 mph there is a sudden loss of throttle. can press on gas pedal no increase in speed- just keeps slowing down. will idle smoothly but no acceleration. shut engine down and wait for a short time period and restart will run fine the rest of the trip. had new O2 sensor and catalytic converter installed.happened again. and seems to be a drop in mpg
  • keith1947keith1947 Member Posts: 3
    my 2000 1500 did the same thing on me in Morgantown, WVa. spent three days waiting for local Dodge dealer to order and change out the in tank gas pump.
    Seems the filter section got clogged up and would work for awhile then would stop gas flow. If I waited a couple of hours it would restart and I could drive another 30 to 50 miles and it would stop again. Had to replace entire gas pump since filter is not a separate item from Dodge.
  • dodge1998dodge1998 Member Posts: 1
    i recently had a tune up done on my v8 360 magnum engine. it would spit an sputter after the tune up was done but now its stalling. it still idles rough on initial start up but now even when warm you come to a stop an it shuts down but will restart like its running out of fuel. :confuse:
  • smkmup288smkmup288 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1997 Ram 4x4 5.9l. Around 2-3 months ago my truck started acting up. Check engine light came on so i took it to a nearby auto parts store. Code came up as a cyclinder 8 misfire. i changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. fixed the problem. a few weeks ago the same problem happened again. truck starts fine, but whenever i give it gas it stalls, (whether in park or drive). you can feel it missing and when running you can hear it missing, like a popping noice. once again i took it to the auto parts store, cyclinder 3 misfire this time. again i changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. did not fix the problem. they said it could be the plugs or wires, which i already changed. or low compression, or a faulty fuel injector. i dont think the compression would be low. i really love my truck, i just dont wanna spend money i dont have if i dont need to. if anyone has had this problem or knows what i should do. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • slingshot202slingshot202 Member Posts: 4
    Good Evening,

I am extremly happy to see that I am not alone in this problem. I can't be sure when it started but the problem has been escalating.

My Dodge Ram1500 is a 2004, 5.7 Hemi and has 51,300 miles. A few times I had a stalling issue, however it always started occasionally. Then at some point it got worse.

Right or wrong, many times in the winter I fill the truck running, as I am in a Full Service state I just don't turn it off, but it was not a problem till a month or two ago. As soon as the pump clicks full, the truck shuts off and then I have trouble keeping it running. My mechanic gets in and there are no codes, but he says he resets the throttle sensor and for the most part the truck is OK, however I still have issues.

Now I turn the truck off all the time, but it tends to stall shortly after fueling, today was the last straw and on I-95 while coming to a quicker than usual stop the truck stalled, right there. I needed to hit the throttle to get it going again, then the same happen again in Stop and Go traffic and again.

I believe the issue may be focused around breaking harder than normal. I'm unsure though due to the stalling after fueling. I generally need to hit the throttle to get it going.

When it stalls, I get absolutely no lights. I love this truck and I'm about to send out the last payment, but I am getting frustrated.

I have had two O2 sensors replaced since I got the truck, but, like I said, when it stalls no lights?

Could this be a TPS problem or one of the other issues? Thoughts? I want to sound intelligent when I call either my mechanic or the dealer.

Thanks,
    CJ
  • cm4166cm4166 Member Posts: 6
    all I need to do is say its was my truck not yours. my 2004 ram hemi 45000 miles after filling and stopping the truck stalls, no dash broad lights on. It has happened four times. I will bring it to my shop and let you know what happens. If you fixed your truck let my know how you repaired the stalling. Thank you.
  • odaddyodaddy Member Posts: 1
    having same problem with 04 model, 67k miles. found out that if you take off oil fill cap that plastic piece inside is designed to catch moisture and bad oil. its part of the vacuum system, when too much moisture builds up on this part it starts to get past and clog pcv valve thus causing poor vacuum hence idle surges and stalls. bottom line is dodge put out a duzzy in this motor. im not sure what exactly causes this high amount of moisture but i clean this plastic part and pcv valve every 2 weeks cuase i refuse to pay mechanics for services that dont work. so far idle and stalling has stopped since i started this about 2 months ago. any better suggestions would help. :sick:
    I have my mechanic working on it per se. He doesn't think it is all this TPS and all these other parts. He has contacted Chrysler, but nothing yet.

He seems to think it is some sort of issue with the vapor like or a vapor sensor.

To the last post (#85) I can mention this to him as well.
    I have looked up other complaints and tips for repair and I replaced the air cleaner. I am running the gas tank down to E and I wfill fill it with gas and run the truck and stop hard and see if it still stalls out. If it does I will clean the inside of the "carb" and run it down to E and start all over again. I will post what happens. Thanks
  • shaquazenshaquazen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.1l v8 that stalls after warm. The problem first showed signs when slowing down to turn or at a stop light. Now will run fine until warm in Idle or Drive. Once warm the engine will not go into gear without stalling or will stall unless rpm's held over 1000 at idle. Have replaced the IAC and The TPS sensor. Only has 78000 miles. Any suggestions?
  • bertha01bertha01 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 01 ram sport 4+4 since i bought the truck if it sat for more than two days the battery would be dead,put a new battery in it and same results.recently it will barely even turn over and when it does it won't idle i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running.so i took it to a tech and they said my glove box light was drawing constant power,so they took it out recharged my battery and sent me on my way.everything was great until i didn't drive it for a day and now its barely starting and if it does start it's a nightmare to keep it running. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO FIX THIS PLEASE ................BERTHA NEEDS YOUR HELP!
    So I have been working with my Mechanic and they see to think there may be an issue with the Vapor sensor or lines.

My stalling issues have been most severe after fueling and generally I would only stall once or twice shortly after filling up.

Since working with my mechanic we are running an experiment where I only get $20 of fuel once I pass 1/2 tank.

I have yet to stall and I have completed this twice. He says we should do that 2 or 3 more times to be sure and then fill it, drive it, and check it.

Apparently it was an issue in the Caravan, not sure why my truck and suddenly, but progress is progress, I hate stalling.
    ------------------------------------
    For the guy with the '01 that keeps dying, could it simply be your alternator is shot? I know you had it tested, but, the glove box light does not sound like the likely culprit, not on a new battery.
    -------------------------------------
    I have filled my truck with 25.8 gals of gas in a 26 gal tank ( low fuel light was on ). I drove about 5 miles and the truck began to run rough. The rpm was running from 1000 to 2000 going up and down when at a stop light. It didnot stall and I drove fast to the next stop light which was now turning red. I stopped hard and the truck stalled out. There were no ligths on the dash broad ( no check engine light ) . It would not start the first two attemps untill I gave it gas. I fell it was starving for gas and just shut down. It my be the engine can't get the amount of gas it needs to run when the tank in very full. Ask your mechanic I will take it to the shop and let you know what the out come is. Good luck
    I found this on the NHTSA web site. Action # EA05018, investagation opened on 11/2/05 and the investagation was closed on 8/29/o07. The complaints were about stalling in 2004-2005 durangos and rams 1500,2500;3500. It reports that the autos needed to have the power train: automatic transmission:control module (TCM,PCM) reprogramed to stop the stalling issue. The report stated the autos were stalling at stop signs or at low speeds in parking lots. It makes no mention of the full gas tanks. I will has to experiment with a less then full gas tank.
    I took the truck to the dealer and explaned the stalling and the full gas tank. He stated that it has notthing to do with the fill-ups and he reprogramed the power control module and cleaned "carbon build up" inside the TPS. I will fill the truck up three times and drive it and report back. Keep your fingers crossed.
  • alpine_alalpine_al Member Posts: 4
    You described the exact same problem that I have with my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.1 liter v8, 74000 miles. I've replaced the IAC. It still stalls after 15 minutes. It will restart, but stalls within a few minutes if I slow down or stop. This is a pain in the next because I use the truck for plowing snow. I'm wondering if it could be related to the fuel pump. I had a problem with it about a year ago and I had to get it fixed at the dealership (local mechanics couldn't find the problem). Perhaps this stalling problem is realted to the fuel pump problem. I hate to take it back to the dealership. Let me know if you discover a solution. Thanks, Alan
  • smkmup288smkmup288 Member Posts: 4
    I recently fixed my truck and the misfire. Just updating to help anyone in need. I finally got so frustraded of trying to nail dowm the problem myself, i took the truck to my local shop. They ran it on the computer and found now that there was misfires on cyclinders 3,7 and 8. They thought it might have been the fuel injectors, because when they unplugged the harness's on the injectors a couple of them, no loss of engine performance was noticed. They tried changing the injectors, still no luck. They also tried the ignition coil, also with no luck. They finally found that the problem was with the crank shaft position sensor, and the valve springs. They said that the metal made in u.s. isnt as strong as it use to be and over the miles they start to stretch and not last as long as they were intended. Which doesn't surprise me at all. So they replaced the springs (all 16). Ive had the truck back for almost a month now, and it has been running excellent, even better then when i bought it, and it has 167,xxx miles on the clock. It will still roast the tires like there's no tomorrow. Cost me $800.00, but it was worth it for the the way it is running now. I just hope that this may help anyone in need. ;););)
    Dustin.
  • jeffa4jeffa4 Member Posts: 1
    hello all, I just picked up a used Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 v8 it runs ok at a idol
    but when i reb the eng up it ack like it want to die , I changed cap,rotor,plus & wires (gap .040) and it still dose the samething anyone have this prob ? pl help
  • sbocmansbocman Member Posts: 1
    My dodge keeps stalling when it is at idle. It also stall when I am driving on any road and let go of the throttle to brake, it stalls. Any info about this would be great.
  • randy2931randy2931 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A LOW RPM MISSFIRE AT IDLE ONLY, RUNS GOOD AT HIGH RPM LIKE INJECTORS OR COMPUTER THAT CONTROLS THE INJECTORS IS BAD BUT I JUST SMOGED IT AND PASSED ; LOW EMISSIONS ;RUNS ROUGH AT IDLE.IDLES ABOUT 700RPM BUT I FEEL A MISSFIRE......CHANGED CAP ROTOR PLUG/ WIRES STILL DOES IT CAN HEAR IT IN THE EXHAUST....I DONT HAVE ALOT OF MONEY TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER... :: SEEMS LIKE 1 OR 2 OF THE INJECTORS ARE BAD ..IM NOT GOOD WITH ELECTRICAL OR COMPUTER PROBLEMS.....DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE???????OR HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM???TRUCK HAS BEEN A GOOD TRUCK HAS 209000 MILES ONLY PUT TRANSMISSION IN IT SINCE I OWNED IT SINCE 2004 HAD 84000 ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT ,,,,RUNS REALLY GOOD TIL I COME TO A STOP NEVER DIES JUST LOW IDLE MISSFIRE ;;;;PLEASE HELP''''''RANDY
  • dcramirezdcramirez Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Ram 1500 quad cab 5.9L engine. It doesn't show any trouble codes or engine lights on. While driving the truck engine revs at stop lights so my foot has to be firmly on the brake. It idles a little rough at times. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or not. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks
    dawn
  • randy2931randy2931 Member Posts: 2
    sounds like a vacume leak mabye at carb base or a vacume hose
  • dcramirezdcramirez Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, it gives me somewhere to start.
  • brandon18brandon18 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500, w/ the 5.2L V8. Yesterday it started shifting weird and idle'n funny after that. Now, most the time when it tries to shift it winds up to about 3500 rpms, and it used to shift at around 2400/2500 rpms, and you have to slightly let outta the gas for it to shift. Idk whether it's a sensor or what? Help me out.

As far as the idling goes, it idled at like 1000/1100 constant before and now it idles at around 300/400 rpms. Really low. It just about dies everytime you give it gas as it idles back down.

Someone help me. Thanks.
  • tonyd0925tonyd0925 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7L V6 with approx 85K miles on it. Just put in a new clutch last month and new plugs and ttruck was running great. Suddenly this past weekend truck started a little bucking and then stalled. Stalled a few more times when sitting in idle and was still running great once I got it going up to speed. A couple of days later it was doing the same stalling thing again and after shutting it down she wouldn't start at all. Let it sit for a few hours and started up like nothing was wrong. Drove it this a.m. started fine shut it down and went to restart after about 2hrs and wouldn't start again. Tried again about half hour later and started right up and ran fine. Some say fuel pump is going, others say bad gas, and yet another says oxygen sensor. Anyone have any ideas???
  • marinefiremanmarinefireman Member Posts: 2
    the only thing i know is that the computer is bad and mine is doing the same thing