Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Extended Warranty Questions

mrg2mrg2 Member Posts: 29
How much are people paying for an extended warranty for an 07 G35 Sedan? (please state deductable and years). I was told that once the car has something like 6 months on it, the extended warranty costs more from Infinity -- is this correct? Does anyone know of any dealers discounting the warranty selling over the internet?

Thanks!

Comments

• tleetlee Member Posts: 44
    I have a certified I30 which is covered under a 7-year, 100,000-mile warranty. The "service engine soon" light came on the day before yesterday. I made an appointment with the Infiniti dealer yesterday and brought the car in this morning. It turned out that the oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. The dealer said that the O2 sensor itself is covered under warranty. However, in order to install the new sensor, the dealer said a new computer program has to be installed, which is NOT covered under warranty and will cost me $120. To me, it doesn't make sense at all. If it is required, shouldn't it be covered by the warranty? I suspect the dealer is just trying to squeeze some extra money out of me (in addition to the $50 deductible).

I've seen many times in Acura, BMW, and other forums that people are routinely getting free software upgrade during the warranty period, especially for first-year models. So, I thought it should be free of charge for Infiniti as well. Does Infiniti always charge customers for software upgrade even during the warranty period? Please help, thanks.

By the way, I hope it's OK to post my I30 question here since it also applies to G35.
  • tszhfungtszhfung Member Posts: 12
    I am also interested in knowing this. When I purchased my 07 G35 Journey, the dealer offered a 6 year 100K miles extended warranty for $2500 from a 3rd party. It also has ad deductible which I don't remember the amount. I didn't get it and want to see how much is the factory warranty.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I decided not to grab the extended when I pick mine up (This week hopefully)
    But, I'm starting to see more and more keyless issues with the car leaving people stranded.
    The thought of being 100 miles away from home in a dead car with no roadside assistance kills me.

If I pay $2500 for the warranty, I'll never need it.
    If I don't buy it, I'll wish I had.

:cry:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Invest the money somewhere and hold on to it in case you need it for repairs. In other words, use it to self-insure.
    I agree... but it's not so much the cost of repairs.
    It's the thought of being stranded. :surprise:

At least with Road Side Assistance, you get a tow, ride and loaner.
    Being stranded stinks.

With my luck, it'll be in that neighborhood that Chevy Chase took his Family Truckster through when his hubcaps were stolen. :D
  • mrg2mrg2 Member Posts: 29
    $2,500 for a 3rd party warranty, 6 year, 100,000 miles for a new G35 is probably at least $1,000 more than you should be paying. I ended up paying less than $1,6000 for a 7 year, 100,000 miles with $50 deductable for a Infiniti Warranty. There is a pretty large markup on warranties and some dealers try to get as much as they can get. Remember, you can buy your Infiniti warranty from any dealer in the country. I've found that with other car brands, some dealers will advertise on the internet. Also, keep in mind that it's generally safer to get the manufacturer warranty than a third party. Hope this helps.
    What are people's thoughts on purchasing the Infinity Extended Warranty on a loaded G35 Sedan? Is there any point to buying it upfront vs. buying it before factory warranty expires? Anybody know of any dealers selling it at a significant discount? If you buy it upfront, you don't get any significant benefit from it for four years, but it will begin being prorated from purchase date (if you traded in your car).
    The dealer offered me a 100,000 7yr warranty, but it was $2,500.
    I turned it down, thinking I could find better somewhere else.

It's good to get into one as soon as possible.
    The Infiniti price changes 90 days after taking delivery.
    Most third party providers set their price on the mileage the car currently has.

Getting it as soon as possible saves you money.

I personally thought I would skip it, but as I get to know all the bells and whistles in my fully loaded 'X', I'm starting to think a warranty may be a good idea.
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    Check out the 3rd party warranty places, like warrantydirect.com they have the 07G35 for 7/100 $0 deductible for $1300. or you can get their best bumper to bumper for less then $2400 on an 8/120 $0 deductible.

I've heard of people getting the Infiniti warranty for $1600. you might want to give them a call and make an offer at that price and see if they bite.

Some people think your better off taking that money and investing it to make money. Using it if you need it.. if you don't use it, it's still your cash. but personally I'm not worried about nickle and dime issues, I'm concerned about major $4K repairs that you have to get done in order to even dump the car. i.e. powertrain.
    I think the powertrain warranty is 6 years, 70K miles. The original bumper-to-bumper warranty is 4 years, 60K miles. How long do you plan to keep the car?

I actually bought the Infiniti 7 year/100K miles $50 deductable for around the $1600 price. I was considering canceling it, but it sounds like I got a decent deal. I much prefer the infiniti warrant over a 3rd party warranty since you don't have to worry about the company going out of business, etc. Has anyone beat that price by any significant amount? You can earn a few hundred in interest putting the money in the bank waiting for the original four year warranty to expire.
  • mks3mks3 Member Posts: 10
    This seems like a great deal. What dealership? Best I found was $1895....but I can buy a warranty at any dealership. Thanks
    $1600... I'd jump on that too.
    My offer was twice that.

What dealer was this?
    My thoughts exactly scottm123. I bought 2 G's last week...one for my sister, a loaded G35x, and an identical G35 Journey for myself. Think I did pretty good on the price, but the 7/100,000 warranty started at $2,500 with a $100 deductible. I've been shopping the warranty...my sister got hers at her local dealership for $1895, with $100 deduct...Sacramento Infiniti, where I got both cars offered me the same warranty for $2092...I've been playing phone tag with them, but I expect that they will be giving me a better price now that I have new information. Sure would like to know WHERE mrg2 got it for $1600 with a $50 deduct.
    I've found similar pricing through third party companies, but I'm more than a little hesitant sending close to 2K to a company I don't know.
    I'd love to have coverage through Infiniti.
    Yes, I agree. I've heard from many people that 3rd party warranties can be problematic. I think of this like medical insurance....you want your providers to be happy and get paid, otherwise it's reflected in the service received. I would wait to buy the warranty because it really only adds 3 years and 40,000 to the original warranty, but I'm afraid it won't be offered. Might as well do it now...that way I'm covered. :)
    You can always get it, but the price starts to go up 90 days after purchase.
    I want it now.
    I know that some think it's better to invest the money now and use it for repairs in the future if needed.
    Fact is, if something electronic goes in this 07 G, it's gonna be more than the cost of the warranty to fix it.

We can purchase from any dealer, so I just need to find the best price.

Maybe I should use a Saturday morning to send email to every dealer in the US and see what replies I get.
    WOW...I just got off the phone with where I got my car. So here's the deal...
    7 year/100,000 mile with $0 Deduct $1884
    7 year/100,000 mile with $50 Deduct $1722
    7 year/100,000 mile with $100 Deduct $1592...
    now I have to decide what one I want....I don't think we can put names/phones online...but I have the contact...can we?
  • mab35mab35 Member Posts: 1
    I asked about the 6 year/84,000 mile warranty when I bought my G35 Monday. The dealer wouldn't budge from $1615 with a $100 deductible. I got a call from them this evening. They were trying to meet their quota for the month and recalled that I had asked about the warranty. I bought the 6 year/84,000 mile with no deductible for $1373.
    What a difference three days makes.
    Yoohooo... Pat!!!

Please allow mks3 to post the dealer/contact.
    Is this allowable?

This would be incredibly helpful to me.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can post the name of the dealer and general location, but please don't post the phone number. I'm sure a Google search will turn up the contact information, but we can't verify such things each time they are posted. :)
    That's a great deal!!! That's better then what I was quoted! What dealer?
    Scott, sounds like mab35 got even a better deal then I did...says that a 6/84,000 was $138? with $0 deduct. I got mine from Sacramento Infinity, talk to the finance manager...tell him you were referred by mks3 on the Edmunds infinity blog....he told me it was OK to use his name, but the forum rules don't let me....so.....if you can't make contact let me know by post....we'll get you connected.

BTW...I went with the $0 deduct, and paid the $1884...I figured that if I used it once a year for the additional 3 years, it paid for the difference.
    Nice!
    Did you get any documentation stating what is/isn't covered by the extended warranty?
    I imagine it's not full bumper-to-bumper coverage?
    Yes, it's the Infiniti Elite extended Plan...I have a whole book on what is covered...you can view it on the Infiniti website too. It's pretty much bumper to bumper, except normal maintenance, and also has extensive roadside assistance and car rental, free tow...it's completely transferable. So when your ready...call the Finance Director...it's a good deal.
  • gmccardlegmccardle Member Posts: 35
    My loaded 2003 G35 sedan has 47,000 miles on it and the dealership tells me I'm at the point where my factory bumper to bumper is about to run out. Seeing that I had it to the shop two times in the past 3 months for transmission problems (automatic went out of gear with no warning leaving the car in neutral)I'm thinking I need the warranty. Cost of the repairs out of pocket would have been over $3000.

Anyway, my car was just in a major accident, I guess I'll have to keep it a few years longer to avoid taking a huge loss in trade in value. The dealership offered me their price listing for the extended warranties. If I buy it before I hit 50,000 the four year package is a touch over $2000. Three year coverage is about $1600. There is a $100 deductible. Does this sound like a good deal? Sounds like from reading this forum that there is room for negotiation. FYI: They are offering 0% financing right now. I know I can't afford massive repair bills should something do wrong.
    There is definitely room for them to play with prices, but it becomes much more difficult to determine if you're getting a good deal once the car is no longer new.
    This is because the prices change as time and mileage is added to the car.

I don't know if that's a competitive price or not, but if you honestly feel like it's less than what you can expect for service charges in you next 3 years, then it may be worth it.

Boy, that's a lousy answer... :cry:
  • heyeddieheyeddie Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for your posts!!! I just got quotes from my dealership that are all $500 more than the ones you got from this dealership.

I would like to investigate further, but there seems to be a fairly large Finance Staff listed on the website of the Dealership, all with varying titles -- including Five Finance Pre-Approval Managers, a Finance Manager and a Lending Director. Could you point me towards the right job title.

Thanks!!!

Ed
  • infinitiiinfinitii Member Posts: 9
    Hello

My infiniti dealer gave me a price of $2000 for my Infinit I30 2000 which has 66200 Miles on it.THis warranty is upto 100000 Miles and also there is a $100 deductible.

So is this warranty worth or not,can someonce give me their suggestion.
    What's your commute like?
    How long will it take you to put 33,800 miles on your car?
    Is this your car that you purchased new in '00, or did you just pick this up used?
  • bogossbogoss Member Posts: 9
    You should check your credit union. Mine offers a 7 yrs/100k warranty with comparable coverage to that of Infiniti, but w/o deductible for only $1,370 for my 2008 G35 Journey.
    Also, I specified 12k miles/year.
  • victuswvictusw Member Posts: 8
    I've just gotten my 08 G35x (actually to be picked up tomorrow) and would like to know if Sacramento Infiniti is still the place to get Infiniti Elite Extended plan? I'm looking for 7yr/100,000mi $0 pricing. Thanks.
  • webdzyneswebdzynes Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy a 2003 G35 coupe from a local Infinity new car dealer. The car has 26k miles and the dealer is looking for $22,500 for it. It looks perfect. I think this is a good deal but am not sure. I do want an extended warranty of about an additional 4 years, 80k miles with no/low deductible. No idea what this might cost.. Suggestions of a good price and where to buy it would be great-
  • bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    About one year after my bumper to bumper ran out, I took out an Infiniti Elite extended warranty for 4yrs 48,0000 miles with a zero deductable for a little under $1400. My car had 25,000 miles at that time. Considering how these cars love to go through window motors, actuators, compression rods and CD changers, I feel it's worth the money. Most repairs on these cars are not cheap.
  • dboedboe Member Posts: 69
    Good topic, guys. I only have the PT warranty left on my '04 coupe and that will be gone in another month.
    I contacted one outfit that claims to underwrite a lot of the Nissan and Infiniti warranties. They checked my VIN and said, we can write you up now and extend that power-train warranty to 5/100K for $2093!!
    He said it like he was telling me what time it was. I told him I have low miles (under 37K) and 3 years would be fine, plus I want bumper to bumper. He said, this is all I can give you. And you are lucky because if you don't take this now and I reenter your info back into the file it will be deleted as out of warranty, non-eligible.
    I told him, no way, too much and I want to check around more, he kept after me to give my Visa number for a down payment and I still have 30 days to cancel no charge.
    I ended up hanging up on him, Jeezzzz took me a good 30 minutes to untwist my arm!
    Here's their website, do what you want..I would say run the other way.

http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.com/warranty/manufacturer/nissan-extended-warr- anty.html

I ended up going with Warranty Direct. They've been doing this for over 20 years, CA has some tough rules for after market warranty plans, and they meet them all.
    They are direct, BTW, you don't have to mess around with a middle-man or broker.
    The total plan is $943 for 3 years and 30,000 miles, bumper to bumper. The exclusions are not bad, at least they cover the expensive items, as well as high pressure hoses and all gaskets. You get towing, car rental up to a week, even lodging if stuck away from home.
    You can take your car to any licensed repair shop, dealer or not. The deductible I got is $200. You only pay once for each repair visit. Whether they fix one thing or 10.
    They have a 1000 mile/30 day waiting period before you can do any claims.
    Fully refundable before then, pro-rated after, and fully transferable (50 buck charge) to another owner at any time.
    I have a month to think about this more, but I think for me it is a wise choice. A couple of failed components can easily cost more than the warranty.
    I had an 02 MDX with a factory extended warranty it saved me $800 for a defective power seat exactly 1 week after my original warranty expired.
    I can't find the site now, but there was a very interesting one that gave all the details on how these plans work. The gave WD a 5/5 rating along with 2 others. And two more a 3/5 rating. They said they could find no others worth recommending.
    The factory warranty is best! But if you are out of luck there, you may want to consider WD. I'm sorry I can not provide any actual experience on claim service but I do see them recommended a lot by bimmer, vette, etc. owners on other forums.
  • drjustindrjustin Member Posts: 50
    i bought an '07 pre-certified g35 jan '09. it apparently came with the generic "infiniti 100k extended warranty" that's the bare minimum to consider the car "pre-certified."

i currently have 56,000 miles and was told when i bought the car by a head mechanic at an infiniti shop it was well worth it to upgrade to the elite if at anytime i chose to do so. so my questions are?

has anyone RECENTLY priced out and elite 7/100k infiniti(non 3rd party) warranty?

also, i've had little trouble with the car as yet, but the thought of it being covered essentially bumper to bumper is assuring. is there a "major" difference between the elite vs. pre-certified 100k warranty?

i did some searching on this topic, but primarily found great information that was outdated. any help is very much appreciated.

justin
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    IMO, extended warranties in general are a waste of money. Without reading your "elite" and "pre-certified" policies, it's hard to comment specifically. But, in general, here are the kind of things you need to look for:
    1. How much does the policy cost
    2. What is covered (or maybe a better way of looking at it what is not covered)
    3. What is the deductible?
    4. Is the deductible per incident, per shop visit, or what?
    5. How long has the backer of the policy been around?

Then, you need to ask yourself if you really REALLY need an extended warranty policy. Keep in mind the extended warranty policies tend to be big money makers for the dealers or the issuers, which means that in the aggregate, the money they take in for the policies is more than what they have to lay out for repairs against the policies, by the tune of 30%-50% or more.
  • n3tton3tto Member Posts: 13
    I understand many people are against buying an extended warranty but I've heard the infiniti plan is very good. I have a 3 year old g35 (38,000 miles) and was told there is only 1 more year left on the warranty. Right now there is $200 discount to buy. Should I?
    What's not covered are items of normal wear and tear:
    Paint, exhaust system, carpet, glass, upholstery, soft trim, weatherstripping, battery, clutch disc, tires, disc brake rotors, squeaks, rattles, water leaks, wind noise, in vehicle communication system, normal maintenance as specified by owners manual.
    I expect to keep the car for at least another 3 years, would it be worth the warranty? I have the all inclusive service plan which is until 2013.
    Thanks!
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    edited August 2010
    Right now there is $200 discount to buy. Should I?

Not IMO. You're only driving the car around 12,000 miles/year. In 3 more years, you will only have 76,000 miles on the car. Odds of something major that's not considered normal wear and tear going wrong are probably pretty small. Plus, all of the items you mentioned that are excluded seem to be the things I read about on these forums that owners have the most complaints about.

Here's some food for thought. My wife drives a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan that has almost 70,000 miles on it. Aside from one set of front pads and tires at the 58,000 mile mark, oil a & filter changes, wiper blades, a repaired power window, and some light bulbs, the van has required no work. If a Dodge Grand Caravan can do it, so can your Infiniti :P .
  • n3tton3tto Member Posts: 13
    Thanks!

It always helps when someone objective provides sensible input!
  • dboedboe Member Posts: 69
    UPDATE: I sold my G35 to a private party. The extended warranty did help it sell faster and get me a little more $$. I really think the value of an extended warranty varies with your specific situation and the specific vehicle.

In general if you buy new, and maintain your vehicles properly, you likely don't need one.

However, if you bought something like a Land Rover you might want to reconsider an extended warranty. (Or why you ever bought an LR, as well!)
  • yazyazooyazyazoo Member Posts: 20
    I am about to purchase thru private party a 2008 G35 Sedan. It has about 23,000 miles.

Is there a way to still purchase an Infiniti Extended warranty? If so is there a cheap place to buy it. I remember for my last Acura I could purchase out of state for a cheaper price than at any dealerships. I am in California.

Thanks!
  • thupittsthupitts Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2011
    I recently purchased a 2008 FX35 (I know this is the G35 forum but my question is applicable) as an Infiniti Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. I understand the CPO Warranty has some different exclusions and coverages than the original new car warranty. Neither my dealer nor Infiniti has been able / willing to provide a written CPO warranty document, booklet, etc.

Anyone who has purchased an Infiniti CPO vehicle - did you receive such warranty documentation?

Thanks, Steve
  • bob04bob04 Member Posts: 1
    gettting ready to purchase extended warranty on infiniti G35 from dealer
    Easy care Total Care 36mon/75K miles
    2008 mileage 24K
    $1600 with no deductible
    is this a fair price
  • infinitisvcinfinitisvc Member Posts: 12
    Very good price. I would say with any aftermarket warranty, make sure you know what they cover before you buy. If it is the Easy Care that I have dealt with many times, you should be OK.

Make sure they will pay your dealer's labor rate. Some warranties will not, leaving you responsible for the shortfall. Make sure they will pay the dealer with a credit card. Some only pay by check, but most dealers will not release the car until they have payment. At the dealer where I work, we make those who only pay by check reimburse the owner and the owner has to pay the repair bill.
  • gp73gp73 Member Posts: 2
  • gp73gp73 Member Posts: 2
    I am buying a CPO G35, but they also talk about the "wrap" that covers more than the extended warranty (covers electronic components mainly). I heard that someone bought this from a thrid party for about $700 less.

Does anyone recommend the WRAP policy in addition to the warranty it comes with? Also, did anyone buy a warranty from a third party?