Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Warning Lights and Trouble Codes

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Could just be the clockspring in the steering column failing. Not serious but can cause the light... best way to check is to see if your cruise control (if equipped) is working properly. If not, it's likely the clockspring.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • jwyattjwyatt Member Posts: 10
    I got mine repaired. It was the speed sensor. I had it done along with a bunch of other stuff. Part was $53 from an indie garage. I try to stay away from the Stealer for work that can be done elsewhere. My brakes had been squealing despite new pads, rotors, and shoes. I had new pads put on front, rotors cleaned up (lightly turned), new rear drums, plus the speed sensor. Full bill was $414.
  • devinsdakotadevinsdakota Member Posts: 3
    well i finally figured it out. both of my abs and parking brakes was on and i finally fixed it. at first i looked at all my fuses and they all looked good. till the other day my brake lights started not to come on. i got the idea to check my brake petal switch and i checked it. was good i put it back in. after i did that both of the lights went off. i remembered that that switch was kinda crooked so i think that might of been the problem. well it worked for me so try to check yr brake petal switch.

devindakota
  • modifyitmodifyit Member Posts: 1
    99 Dakota transmission (auto) does not seem to shift into lower gears from a standing start. Seems to be in drive at all times. The check engine light is on and I have been attempting to find a way to read the trouble codes for this vehicle.
    Once I find a way to display these codes, is there a list available on the internet of all the codes and their explanation?
    I don't have any history on this vehicle as it was recently purchased for my grandson who will qualify for his dirvers license soon.
    Are the Chilton type repair manuals worth purchasing or would it be a wiser decision to buy a shop manual for this specific year truck?
  • chineseguychineseguy Member Posts: 8
    Hi folkes, need help here, I had my 05 dakota couple month ago, 4.7 V8 auto,qcab,186K, run great, today first time took it to wash, only body and under body, no engine wash. Went home park it, couple hours later start the truck the engine lite on, but the truck run normal, no funny thing happened, try to get the code with on-off-on-off-on, no code shown up, but the engine still on, any idea.
    Thanks.
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    Before doing anything else I would try to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and see if that shuts off the engine light.
    Thanks, I will do that. Just other question, am I doing the right way to get the code from the 05 model, on-off-on-off-on, if it is, why no code show up, and should I beware some thing when I wash the truck next time to avoid the engine lite come on again. Thanks.
    Hi there, just a general question, I just brought a OBD II-CAN scanner for my 05 dakota, I just wonder can I hook up the scanner while I am driving, so I can monitor the truck, or if I do that, I will fired all the computer board in the truck. Thanks.
  • treedavtreedav Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota with a 3.7 6cylinder engine with 38,000 miles on it.

About 14 months ago I got the same code p0302 saying miss fire on cylinder #2 the dealer inspected and found nothing and cleared the code. This Sunday the check egine light came on again and I had the codes scanned again I got P0302 code,so with 38,000 mile I decided to change the spark plugs with the original type,after I was finished the codes went away and the next day the check engine light came back on with the same P0302 cose miss fire on # 2 cyclinder. The performance is fine,but I am at my witts end on what the problem might be.

I would appreciate any insight on this question.

Thanks,
    Dave M.
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    I wonder if your problem might not be with the Coil on plug (COP) for cylinder # 2. Might be worthwhile to switch the COP with another one and see if that makes a difference.
  • Jade3171Jade3171 Member Posts: 2
    Hiya, it's probably your gascap. Re-insert your gascap and click it and the light should go off in a couple of trips.
  • Jade3171Jade3171 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 2000 dakota with the same problem..except P0306, our mechanic swapped the coil packs on a tune up and it didn't matter the light came back on. We think it is a bad injector as it seems to happen to us when we are lower on fuel. For now we put in some fuel injector cleaner, add some gas, and the light goes off.
  • budman3budman3 Member Posts: 187
    Not sure if this is the correct thread for my 03 Ram with a hemi.
    I recently had my fuel pump replaced and I now have this DTC, P0440 Evap Sys Perf.
    What should I be looking for. The truck is out of warranty and hopefully I can find a quick fix.
    Thanks
    You found the Dakota board instead of the Ram board - post your question here: Dodge Ram Warning Lights and Trouble Codes

kcram - Pickups Host
  • gerry99gerry99 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 99 Dakota 2 WD with 90,00 on the clock. I have been battling a Check Engine Light for several weeks. I can reset it, but it comes back on in less than 50 miles. I have had it to the shop and they have replaced the cat and both O2 sensors. The plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are less that a year old. I have even replaced the gas cap. I am at the end of my rope. A new truck is looking better and better. HELP PLEASE!
    I meant to add this to my question. What bank is BANK 1? The code reader I used mentioned bank 1. Is it the right or left from inside the truck?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    This a V8 engine, correct?

P-420 = Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

A P-420 is triggered when the PCM detects an out-of-range difference between the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors.

The engine could be suffering from a performance problem. You've changed the ignition components. What about the PCV valve and the air filter? Vacuum leaks?

You could have a bad PCM (or was it an ECM in '99?).

Regards,
    Dusty
    Dusty,

Thanks for the reply. The motor is a V6. I should know better. Like I said, both O2 sensors were replaced because the machanic mentioned what you did with the reading going into the cat and that coming out. I'll pick up a PVC valve this week and give it a shot. The air filter is almost new. Is there another filter someplace that I could change. The filter in the tank is good or so I was told. The fuel pressure is 80 PSI on the rail. He hooked up a guage close to the master cylinder by the firewall. Where is the ECM? Any idea about the, "Number 1 Bank?" Right or left side from inside the car?

Thanks again. I owe you a beer.

Gerry
    Gerry, you don't owe me anything. I'm not sure I've even helped you.

Let's see. I keep forgetting, but I think Bank 1 is always the left side.

Newer Chryslers do not have an ECM per se. Engine management and transmission control is handled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The PCM also includes the voltage regulation (charging circuit) circuitry.

After giving this some thought, I'm wondering if the catalytic converter is causing your problem. I've seen bad fuel injectors cause this on GM cars, but not yet on a Mopar. How many miles on tthis vehicle?

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Dusty,

Thanks again for getting back. I did change the PVC amd the hose going to it. I also replaced the small vacuum nipple just under it. I reset my "check engine light" and drove the car to work the next day. Sure enough, the light came back on. I have to say, it does run better. Can the timing be adjusted on this vehicle or is it controlled by the PCM? I was thinking that if it was a little retarded it might have an effect. I'll keep trying.

Regards,

Gerry
  • lemac13lemac13 Member Posts: 1
    i have loss of power after truck is at operating temp. jumps/stutters at 2200-2300 rpms codes are p0300,p0315 changed plugs have aprx. 50miles need help 3.7L 5speed standard
    lemac13

I'm not real sure how much help I can be since I'm still trying to find answers to my problems.

You didn't say how many miles are on the truck. Wires, cap, and rotor may cause a miss. Does it run good at other speeds? Have you changed places where you buy your gas? You may have gotten a little water with your last batch. If so, there are several products that can remove it simply by dumping it in the tank. You may also want to check out your fuel filter. Were the plugs changed before or after this started? Were the new plugs the correct ones for it and were they set correctly? I'm just asking. Mopars used to have a real problem running AC plugs even though the AC charts showed a plug to fit. I would keep with Mopar, Champion, or Bosch. You might also check around the intake for any vacuum leaks or cracked hoses. I've had some of these in the past. Do you know what PO300 and PO315 mean? If not, many auto parts stores will allow you to use their code reader and charts to find out just what they mean.

Good luck with getting it worked out.

Gerry
    I did some searching since I wrote you the note. Check out the following site, OBD-Codes.com. It has a lot of great information.

Gerry
    The timing can only be altered by use of the DRB3 diagnostic tool. Otherwise its set by the PCM.

As I type this message, I forgot the year of your vehicle. Just for the heck of it, check the rubber hoses going to the Evaporator Canister that's located underneath the vehicle just forward of the fuel tank. These hoses are susceptible to cracking and causing Evap faults, although your fault isn't directly related.

Also, just in case I haven't mentioned it, check the integrity of the ground straps that attach the exhaust system to the frame or body. There should be one about half way down the exhaust system just under the cab. I think there's another going from one of the exhaust manifolds to the firewall. If they are rusted away or missing, this might cause an electrical problem that affects the O2 sensors.

Check back and let me know what you find.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jmclemorejmclemore Member Posts: 3
    Need to know meaning of code 13 on 93 dakota
  • jmclemorejmclemore Member Posts: 3
    reset computer and now getting 12. where can In get a list of codes online without cost?
    Well, my list says, "Fault in the transmission unlock relay."

But I'm suspicious this list is for front-wheel drive cars.

I'm still looking....

Regards,
    Dusty
  • dsweetdsweet Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7 and the fault code P0441 "Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow" Is there anyone that may know how to fix this problem?
    Try replacing the fuel cap. If that doesn't resolve the problem, you either have a vacuum leak in the system or the Purge Solenoid isn't operating.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • glm1glm1 Member Posts: 1
    code 12 memory standby power lost my truck is pulling the same code. havent figured it out yet.
  • mrsincere7mrsincere7 Member Posts: 40
    Hello Dustyk......I just experienced the engine light come on for my 02' Dakota V6. The code that came up for me was P-0442. Would you suggest I replace the gas cap for this code too? I did replace the cap, after reading your suggestion to someone else who had the P 0441 code. I dont have the equipment to turn the light off, will it go out on it's own if the replaced gas cap was my problem?
  • iowamaleiowamale Member Posts: 1
    unhook battery hot side should reset light
  • rab211rab211 Member Posts: 5
    Likely this doesn't have much to do with your issue, but it might, and I think this is something most Dakota owner should know. I was having all kinds of strange intermittent problems, sometimes it was the tranny going into safe mode, or the radio shuting off for a couple seconds, or blowing high beam highlights, and once the heated mirrorswouldn't work.

I think I've found my issue. As it turns out the wiring in Dakota's can't handle those higher intensity headlights. If memory serves all of my problems seem to have started when my first headlight blew, and I decided to go with brighter light bulbs. I spoke with a Dodge service manger and apparently years ago they got a bulletin that the wirng can't handle them. He said that it surfaces in many different ways and can do damage to the computer or wiring, and sometimes just intermittent problems.

Since changing back to the OEM bulbs I haven't had any problems, although it hasn't been cold enough to check the heated mirrors.

Likely doesn't answer your problem but if you have changed to brighter lights, start by switching back for a while.
  • ltevansltevans Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a Dakota 2002 4x4 King Cab, 29,875 miles on it. It has the engine light on (P1686 code) which is a SKIM code (?). I have reset it but it keeps returning. Any ideas on how I can permanently fix it? Any help is appreciated.
    :confuse:
  • mrsincere7mrsincere7 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for your input. Disconnecting the battery hot side worked.
  • stramsportstramsport Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 ram sport, with 74,000 miles on it, the check engine, abs, brake light almost all lights come on on dash. the speedo works than dont work? i have a obdll scanner. when i plug in to it it says no codes. anybody have any ideas why all the lights are on?
  • robo64robo64 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Dakota w/ 3.9 V6. I am getting Codes
    P0442
    P1491
    I think I know about the 0442, but the other I don't. can anyone answer this please.
  • treedavtreedav Member Posts: 2
    This is treedav and I am still having the same problem. Last October they cleaned the fuel ingecter on # 2 cylinder,but the other day around aug. 31,2009 I got the same check engine light ! So now they took off the heads and said the cylinder was carbon ed up and it would have to be machined to correct the problem. The dealer said that I need to drive it more,well I drive approximately 150 to 200 miles a week ,mostly highway driving,so you figure. Did I get a lemon. The warranty is covering this,but I need to know if it can happen again. I only have 46,00 miles on it and i am the original owner. I use regular gas. Can someone elighten me why ?

Thanks,
    Dave M. email: treedav@windstream.net
    P1491 is a Radiator Fan Relay Circuit issue.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • farmer18farmer18 Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 v6 Dakota acts up when I am running at 80 or 90 kilometers per hour it seems like the trans is slipping just for a second or 2. The RPM's jump up about 200 RPM's and drop right back. I read the code using the key and it seems to be giving me a code of Pd07E, I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have any Idea's??
  • farmer18farmer18 Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 v6 Dakota acts up when I am running at 80 or 90 kilometers per hour it seems like the trans is slipping just for a second or 2. The RPM's jump up about 200 RPM's and drop right back. I read the code using the key and it seems to be giving me a code of Pd07E, I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have any Idea's??
  • luke24luke24 Member Posts: 1
    I have a check engine light coming on...had this last week and had it tended to but now has different code....can you tall me what code 1494 is?
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    There are many places on line where you can look up OBD-II codes.
  • bruce_sbruce_s Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 dakota 4.7 engine light is on and the some times flashes. I got the codes. p0300/p0301/p0302/p0307/p0308 and p0357. I checked it out and its says its a miss fire in multipal cylinders. this cant be or the truck would not run. p0357
    code says ignition coil # 7 primary circute. could this be my prob? the truck runs rough all the time and is sluggish. it has 360 thd kms on the engine. Anyone that can help it would be greatly appreciated.
  • kboulangekboulange Member Posts: 1
    1 month ago truck started cutting out for the first 10 minutes or so then ran ok....drove it like that for a couple of weeks then it started to do it more and more...replaced the pvc valve while tracing the vacuum system and put new plugs,wires rotor and cap....checked the engine lite codes ...12,17,51 came up...51 was o2 sensor so replaced that too...will start but not idle or keep running....code 12 says memory standby power lost...17 says engine running too cold where do I go from here?
  • header1974header1974 Member Posts: 10
    Did you ever figure out what finally was diagnosis on the P420. I have just gotten code today I did check my gas cap first and it was not clicked secured. I have not replace PVC valve yet, have clean air filter but was curious if it ended up finally with catlaytic converter issue or one of hoses to PVC or underneath. I read all the replys you sent betwween you and dustyk back in Januray. Any help would be great. I have 2001 Dodge Dakoyta 4.7 V-8. thanks header1974
  • bpparbppar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dakota Quad p/u and the PRND21 with the square blocks around each symbol and the check engine light is on. I have had this worked on 4 times. Is anyone else having this problem and is there a more permanent fix? It returns about every year or so.
  • steveo66steveo66 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 dodge dakota sport 4x4,engine light on.Codes are P0442, P0456, and P455. All relating to an Evap leak monitor, small, medium, and large leak.Is this something I can fix or do I need to take it in?
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I think any/all of these could be do to a bad gas cap. That would be the first think I replace. Then , look for any cracks in the hoses associated with the evaporative control system.